No Vote / Other
33%

Total votes: 18
Urist
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 26

The Rings of Power - Game Over

Post by Urist »

In the Second Age of Middle-Earth, more than a millennium after the defeat of the Dark Lord Morgoth, a beautiful creature by the name of Annatar (meaning “Lord of Gifts”) came to the elves and offered his aid in crafting a set of powerful magical artifacts. Together with the elf Celebrimbor, Annatar created sixteen rings. The elves, despite warnings from those who had witnessed the rise and fall of Morgoth, greedily accepted these gifts.
But they were, all of them, deceived. Annatar was secretly a disguise for Morgoth’s most trusted lieutenant, Sauron, who now sought to lay claim to Middle-Earth in his master’s stead. In secret, Sauron created one final ring. One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

However, the Dark Lord was about to learn that his conquest would not be as he’d hoped. The moment he donned his own Ring, the other Ringbearers, sensing his malefic intent, removed their own. Enraged, Sauron sent his agents to Eregion to reclaim his creations…

The Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power
A game for 17 players

Foreword
Hi everyone! Thanks for coming to my mafia game. I've tried to make it as fair and balanced as possible, while still incorporating elements that I think will be fun to play with. Before we start, I wanted to have a chat about what kind of game this will be, and what you can expect.

Generally speaking, I've tried to ensure this is not a bastard game. What this means to me is that there are no moderator lies or misleading information that cannot reasonably be expected or deduced. For example, it's reasonable to assume that any investigative result is subject to inaccuracy. It's also reasonable to assume that your "protect" ability might have no effect if your target is immune to protects. However, some things I'd consider unreasonable are flipping mafia as town, changing your alignment midway through the game, or telling you that you're immune to roleblocks and then having a super-roleblock that penetrates that immunity. All of these examples, in my opinion, would just detract from what should be an interesting setup. If you have any doubts about what I might or might not include in the setup, feel free to DM me and I'll answer if I can.

The second thing I wanted to talk about is flavour. Since I know that not everyone is a LotR nerd, I've tried to create a game where knowledge of the source material should not give an advantage to anyone. This does mean that I had to take some creative liberties. The most obvious thing that most fans would notice is that the names for the three Elven Rings (Nenya, Narya, and Vilya) have not been used, since doing so would certainly give players with that knowledge an unfair advantage. I also did not make the names of the Rings related to their abilities - I don't think anyone here speaks Quenya, but there are dictionaries out there that could be used! Instead, I translated some random nouns into Quenya, and used those as the Ring names. Another liberty I had to take was with characters. Although some passive abilities do match the characters, most may not. I've also introduced a couple of anachronisms by using characters who shouldn't be alive together, and used a couple of characters who don't actually exist (although anyone who gets their lore from Amazon might not notice that anything is off). I will also note that I have provided the Agents of Sauron with safe claims, so please do not attempt to determine alignment by reading into flavour. It's provided solely for your entertainment (and mine)!

Those things said, I hope that everyone has a great time. Again, if you have questions about the rules or your role, please do not hesitate to reach out to me for assistance.

Players
Porscha (ISO)
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME (ISO)
Jackofhearts2005 (ISO)
MartinGG99 (ISO)
MacDougall (ISO)
srceenplay (ISO)
DaughterOfOmega (ISO)
NotAnAxehole (ISO)
Andresvmb (ISO)
Creature (ISO)
hollowkatt (ISO)
Moonwink (ISO)
Marmot (ISO)
DrWilgy (ISO)
Scotty (ISO)
osieorb18 (ISO)
dunya (ISO)

Setup Info
  1. There are four Agents of Sauron and thirteen Free Peoples. These are the mafia and town respectively.
  2. The win condition for the Agents of Sauron is to return all of the Rings to Mordor. I will explain how this happens later. The Agents of Sauron do not win at parity, unless it would be impossible for them to not achieve their win condition.
  3. There are 19 Rings in play. The Free Peoples have received one each. The Agents of Sauron have received the other six.
  4. Each player has one passive ability. No player has an intrinsic active ability - that’s what the Rings are for.
  5. Each Ring can be used to perform a night action. The number of night actions you can perform is equal to half of the number of Rings you possess, rounded up. There is no limit to the number of Rings a player can possess at once.
  6. Using a Ring will afflict you with Ring-corruption. The first point will reveal to the Agents of Sauron that you have used that specific Ring; mechanically, this counts as a factional passive investigative ability, so it can be avoided with action-immunity. The second point will make you unable to willingly part with that Ring until the start of the following night. The third point will turn you into a Ringwraith. Each level of Ring-corruption also triggers all the levels below it. The Ring-corruption is specific to each Ring, so you can theoretically use every Ring twice without turning into a Ringwraith.
  7. If you become a Ringwraith, you are removed from the game and your Rings are returned to Mordor. Becoming a Ringwraith is a fate worse than death - but it is not death, and will not trigger abilities that reference being killed or eliminated.
  8. Being blocked or having your action otherwise prevented does not prevent Ring-corruption from accumulating.
  9. Each night, you may elect to send any number of your Rings to any number of other players. This does not count as an action, so it cannot be blocked or manipulated by normal means. This resolves after kills, so if your target ends up dying, you’ll simply keep the Ring. You may use a Ring’s action and send it away in the same night.
  10. In addition to being able to send their Rings to other players, the Agents of Sauron may alternatively send Rings directly to Mordor. This effectively removes the Rings from the game, and brings them closer to their win condition.
  11. If you kill a player, you take their Rings. If two or more players kill each other, their Rings will all be sent to Mordor.
  12. You may vote for a player in-thread using the vote tags. Voting for yourself in this way will be counted as an unvote. In-thread votes have no affect on the official vote count (which remains in the poll).
  13. When a player is eliminated, their Rings are taken by the player who voted for them in-thread earliest in the day, and did not vote for anyone else thereafter. The official vote count is irrelevant in determining the recipient of the eliminated player's Rings.
  14. All abilities referring to votes are referring to the votes in the poll, not in-thread votes.

Game Info
  1. Days are 48 hours long. Nights are 24 hours long.
  2. Voting in the poll is the only vote that matters for the purposes of elimination.
  3. The player with at least 51% of the votes at deadline is eliminated. If no player meets this threshold, no player is eliminated.
  4. There may be abilities that increase or reduce the number of votes a player has. These will not be revealed publicly, although they do factor into the calculation of what constitutes a majority.
  5. Post cap is 70 per day. Exceeding this post cap may result in a modkill.
  6. Quoting private communication in whole or in part is strictly forbidden. Things like "name the first letter of your role" are covered under this rule.
Last edited by Urist on Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urist
Loan Shark

Re: The Rings of Power - Setting Up

Post by Urist »

Game Events
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

The game will begin soon. I'm just putting the finishing touches on some things. In the meantime, please read the rules and the foreword carefully - a couple of adjustments needed to be made. You will be at a serious disadvantage if you do not read the first post entirely! Additionally, I've sent a PM on this forum with a link to the hub server, where roles will be sent.
Spoiler: show
@Porscha
@NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
@Jackofhearts2005
@MartinGG99
@MacDougall
@Dragon D. Luffy
@DaughterOfOmega
@NotAnAxehole
@Andresvmb
@Creature
@hollowkatt
@Moonwink
@Marmot
@DrWilgy
@Scotty
@osieorb18
@falcon45ca
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

Remember that the premier rules in any Syndicate Mafia game come straight from the site rules. Review those rules below, and direct any concerns you may have to the host or moderator(s) on duty.

[Link] Rules and Guidelines on The Syndicate

Also always be mindful of the culture of respect that must be maintained in all Syndicate spaces at all times, to include this game thread and any external communication spaces relating to the game. Players must be respectful to one another, to the game host, to the members of the staff overseeing the game, to the game itself by way of its rules and spirit, to the Syndicate community in general, and ideally also to themselves. Respect is never optional. See our full manifesto on our culture of respect below.

[Link] A Syndicate Mafia Culture of Respect
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

Hey everyone! @fingersplints and I will be your friendly neighborhood MoDs for this game! Mafia is a fun game, but we know it can sometimes get a little frustrating. If at any time you're feeling frustrated or upset with anything going on or just need to vent please feel free to reach out to one of us. We also may check in with you. Remember it's just a game so treat everyone with respect and we hope you have a good time!

You can reach us via PM on here or via discord:
Sabie12:
sabie#0567
Fingersplints:
fingersplints#2231
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

Day One starts now!
Pregame, falcon45ca was replaced by dunya, and Dragon D. Luffy was replaced by Srceenplay.
The full setup is in the discord hub. Please DM me with any questions about the setup; I will not be answering any questions directed at me in-thread.
@Porscha
@NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
@Jackofhearts2005
@MartinGG99
@MacDougall
@Srceenplay
@DaughterOfOmega
@NotAnAxehole
@Andresvmb
@Creature
@hollowkatt
@Moonwink
@Marmot
@DrWilgy
@Scotty
@osieorb18
@dunya
NotAnAxehole
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 109
Preferred Pronouns: HE

Re: The Rings of Power - Day One

Post by NotAnAxehole »

I intend to have 100% read accuracy this game.
Russian Machine Never Breaks 769 #3
2022 Stats
| Overall 4-6 40% | Town 4-6 40% | Mafia 0-0 - |

ImageImageImageImage

2021 Stats
| Overall 6-5 55% | Town 4-5 44% | Mafia 2-0 100% |
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 85
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

I intend to slank in a respectful manner
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
NotAnAxehole
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 109
Preferred Pronouns: HE

Post by NotAnAxehole »

NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:14 am I intend to slank in a respectful manner
:ponder:
Russian Machine Never Breaks 769 #3
2022 Stats
| Overall 4-6 40% | Town 4-6 40% | Mafia 0-0 - |

ImageImageImageImage

2021 Stats
| Overall 6-5 55% | Town 4-5 44% | Mafia 2-0 100% |
MartinGG99
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 74
Preferred Pronouns: He/him
They/them

Post by MartinGG99 »

if we townread someone do we have to put a ring on it?

if you don't get this music reference when even I hardly listen to popular music then you sir/mam/person are one heck of a heathen
A.K.A. "That One Idiot"
MartinGG99 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:40 am The only notable "solving" I've done publicly has managed to kill someone who had the same power role and alignment as me.

If that doesn't make a mockery of my confidence in my solving then I don't know what will.
Town Wins (on TS)
ImageImageImageImage
Mafia Wins (on TS)
None lol
Other/3P Wins (on TS)
None lol
Hosted Games (on TS)
ImageImage
Neat Quote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:54 pm Competition is only impressive when it is kind.
MartinGG99
Racketeer
They/them

Post by MartinGG99 »

you know what this game needs
A.K.A. "That One Idiot"
MartinGG99 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:40 am The only notable "solving" I've done publicly has managed to kill someone who had the same power role and alignment as me.

If that doesn't make a mockery of my confidence in my solving then I don't know what will.
Town Wins (on TS)
ImageImageImageImage
Mafia Wins (on TS)
None lol
Other/3P Wins (on TS)
None lol
Hosted Games (on TS)
ImageImage
Neat Quote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:54 pm Competition is only impressive when it is kind.
MartinGG99
Racketeer
They/them

Post by MartinGG99 »

someone dedicated to ring puns
A.K.A. "That One Idiot"

Town Wins (on TS)
ImageImageImageImage
Mafia Wins (on TS)
None lol
Other/3P Wins (on TS)
None lol
Hosted Games (on TS)
ImageImage
Neat Quote:
hollowkatt
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 68
It’s my birthday

Post by hollowkatt »

Goodnight
ImageImageImageImageImage
tutuu wrote:fluffy furry
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
osieorb18
The Mark
Posts in topic: 114
Preferred Pronouns: Any are fine

Post by osieorb18 »

MartinGG99 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:38 am if we townread someone do we have to put a ring on it?

if you don't get this music reference when even I hardly listen to popular music then you sir/mam/person are one heck of a heathen
Scummy post.
MartinGG99
Racketeer
They/them

Post by MartinGG99 »

osieorb18 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:43 am
MartinGG99 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:38 am if we townread someone do we have to put a ring on it?

Scummy post.
something something something post
A.K.A. "That One Idiot"

Town Wins (on TS)
ImageImageImageImage
Mafia Wins (on TS)
None lol
Other/3P Wins (on TS)
None lol
Hosted Games (on TS)
ImageImage
Neat Quote:

Scummy post.
Scummy post
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 126

Post by DaughterOfOmega »

I am mafia.

I believe you
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

the nice thing about 2am, nobody will read
Moonwink
The Mark
Posts in topic: 119
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers/herself
Aka: Hyena

Post by Moonwink »

Moonwink
The Mark

Post by Moonwink »

I think everyone should just believe me when I say I didn't rand mafia a second time. :3

I want to banter and argue with people, so feel free to not do that, too. <3

Scummy post.
I'm calling Martin town then. :D
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:47 am I believe you
Tryhard.
DaughterOfOmega wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:49 am the nice thing about 2am, nobody will read
I read it. :3

Pokémon survives as a franchise on nostalgia factor, if it were introduced as a brand new franchise in 2022 it would be considered just another middle of the road game
Moonwink
The Mark

Post by Moonwink »

NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:13 am Pokémon survives as a franchise on nostalgia factor, if it were introduced as a brand new franchise in 2022 it would be considered just another middle of the road game
I feel like it also survives on a cuteness factor. <3 There are plenty of folks like me who find enjoyment in collecting cute animal-like monsters. :D

Moonwink wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:24 am
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:13 am Pokémon survives as a franchise on nostalgia factor, if it were introduced as a brand new franchise in 2022 it would be considered just another middle of the road game
I feel like it also survives on a cuteness factor. <3 There are plenty of folks like me who find enjoyment in collecting cute animal-like monsters. :D
Eh I think the cuteness largely only works because of the nostalgia, if there wasn't the nostalgia factor just having cute visuals isn't really enough
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

Pokémon was a thing because of the anime and movies entering a western audience so quickly. Same for Yugioh and other mangas that turned into games/anime.

Now that those audiences have access to so much, the quality needed to stand out is way higher.

Yeah I don't really care lol moon just said they wanted to fight
Moonwink
The Mark

Post by Moonwink »

NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:27 am
Eh I think the cuteness largely only works because of the nostalgia, if there wasn't the nostalgia factor just having cute visuals isn't really enough
I'll concede that before Pokémon Sword/Shield, I hadn't played a Pokémon game in about 6-7 years. What brought me back was that I liked the design for some of the new Pokémon, buuut, I think I would've been more hesitant to buy the game if the game was too different from previous versions. So, maybe it's partially nostalgia?
DaughterOfOmega wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:33 am Pokémon was a thing because of the anime and movies entering a western audience so quickly. Same for Yugioh and other mangas that turned into games/anime.

Now that those audiences have access to so much, the quality needed to stand out is way higher.
I actually never got into the anime or the movies. I was more interested in the trading cards initially, and then the games themselves. :D
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:07 am Yeah I don't really care lol moon just said they wanted to fight
Yeah, I know, lol. As always, I should have been more specific -- in this case, about what I wanted to fight about. Pokémon and La Croix are boring the fight about. XD
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

Moonwink wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:35 am
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:27 am
I'll concede that before Pokémon Sword/Shield, I hadn't played a Pokémon game in about 6-7 years. What brought me back was that I liked the design for some of the new Pokémon, buuut, I think I would've been more hesitant to buy the game if the game was too different from previous versions. So, maybe it's partially nostalgia?
DaughterOfOmega wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:33 am Pokémon was a thing because of the anime and movies entering a western audience so quickly. Same for Yugioh and other mangas that turned into games/anime.

I actually never got into the anime or the movies. I was more interested in the trading cards initially, and then the games themselves. :D
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:07 am Yeah I don't really care lol moon just said they wanted to fight
Yeah, I know, lol. As always, I should have been more specific -- in this case, about what I wanted to fight about. Pokémon and La Croix are boring the fight about. XD
That's why I compared it to Yugioh, the card game gained more popularity and overall success due to western audiences having quick access to the franchise.

but meh
Moonwink
The Mark

Post by Moonwink »

DaughterOfOmega wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:42 am
That's why I compared it to Yugioh, the card game gained more popularity and overall success due to western audiences having quick access to the franchise.

but meh
Oh, I misunderstood you then, I think. D: Sorry about that.

Though, I probably should admit that I'm biased towards Pokémon stuff because I'm a furry and Pokémon has more cute critters than other anime franchises and card games had. That's why I can't say it's purely nostalgia for me -- I feel like I would have bought any game that's like Pokémon if it had cute animal-like characters in it. Things like Yugioh never seemed to offer that from what I had seen from the card game and the anime. D:
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 157

Post by dunya »

5am sod --- lovely. Everyone is sleeping and I don't have to wake up to 100 posts.

DOOM is lock town never rescind.
Moonwink is super townie.
Martin is probably town.

Not bad for an afternoons work.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

[VOTE: andres] aubergine

Welcome :blush:
osieorb18
The Mark
Posts in topic: 114
Preferred Pronouns: Any are fine

Post by osieorb18 »

NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:37 am

Scummy post.
Scummy post
Scummy post
Creature
Made Man
Posts in topic: 93

Post by Creature »

Oh this started
Creature
Made Man

Post by Creature »

Gonna be a boring day.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

Hi, I'm town I guess
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 159

Post by Scotty »

I’ve been itchy and the only prescription is more cowbell rings
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
srceenplay
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 103

Post by srceenplay »

NotAnAxehole wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:02 am I intend to have 100% read accuracy this game.
Do me first
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

srceenplay wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:33 am
NotAnAxehole wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:02 am I intend to have 100% read accuracy this game.
Do me first
Do me third
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Scotty wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:32 am I’ve been itchy and the only prescription is more cowbell rings
My mind went to a different kind of rings :smile: :blush: :biggrin:
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

dunya wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:34 am
Do me first
Do me third
Do me second

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

Scotty wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:32 am I’ve been itchy and the only prescription is more cowbell rings
My mind went to a different kind of rings :smile: :blush: :biggrin:
I…legitimately don’t even know what you’re referring to.

Like..Nuva rings?

srceenplay
Corrupt Union Official

Post by srceenplay »

osieorb18 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:49 am

Scummy post.
Scummy post
Scummy post
1 confirmed scum but probably 2
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

Anyway, I’ve been waiting for some copy paste shtick from NAA in his first post like he planned when we were both mafia in the first roll but he’s not doing it here so he’s probably town lol

Or mafia with a WIFOM plush hat

But ima just gonna call him town

srceenplay
Corrupt Union Official

Post by srceenplay »

Do me first
Do me third
Realistically, probably wont last that long.
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

Anyway, the real question here is what’s wrong with becoming a ring wraith? They get bitchin capes. Can’t get that at Jc penny’s

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

osieorb18 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:49 am

Scummy post.
Scummy post
Scummy post
All 3 of you are scummy rn

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

I might have missed it in the rules- if someone sends a ring to someone else, do the “points” reset, or are rings only able to be used twice maximum in the whole game? And is the person notified what level of corruption that ring is at if they receive it?

Creature
Made Man

Post by Creature »

Scotty wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:35 am
Do me first
Do me third
Do me second
Do me in bed
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

Moonwink wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:02 am
DaughterOfOmega wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:42 am

but meh
Oh, I misunderstood you then, I think. D: Sorry about that.

Though, I probably should admit that I'm biased towards Pokémon stuff because I'm a furry and Pokémon has more cute critters than other anime franchises and card games had. That's why I can't say it's purely nostalgia for me -- I feel like I would have bought any game that's like Pokémon if it had cute animal-like characters in it. Things like Yugioh never seemed to offer that from what I had seen from the card game and the anime. D:
To be fair, Yugi does resemble a Pokémon
Imagine how much hair gel he must use every morning

srceenplay
Corrupt Union Official

Post by srceenplay »

Scotty wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:41 am Anyway, the real question here is what’s wrong with becoming a ring wraith? They get bitchin capes. Can’t get that at Jc penny’s
If you are dead you cant hold rings. The less people to hold rings the more oppertunity for scum to get all the rings.
Scotty wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:47 am I might have missed it in the rules- if someone sends a ring to someone else, do the “points” reset, or are rings only able to be used twice maximum in the whole game? And is the person notified what level of corruption that ring is at if they receive it?
My understanding is nothing "resets".
I thought corruption was per ring, but is it collective?

Return to “Previous Rackets”