Cartomancy Mafia Sign Ups

Moderator: Community Team

Will you enter the Oracle's tent?

Yes
67%
No
13%
Will there be cookies inside? (Maybe/Sub)
20%

Total votes: 30
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 21

Cartomancy Mafia Sign Ups

Post by Spacedaisy »

All around you, the carnival sounds ring out, each one vying for your attention. It's a hot day, with just a slight breeze. As you fan yourself with a Vote Conroy For Sheriff fan that you stole from the campaign booth, the smell of funnel cakes and pork loin sandwiches wafts in the air. A carny calls to you, "Hey, three darts for $1.00, bust a balloon and get a prize!" You shake your head and walk on. Why is it so hot today, anyway? Didn't the forecast call for cooler temperatures after all that rain yesterday? Figures, Channel 8's weather could always be counted on to get it dead wrong. You spy a dark purple tent ahead. That wasn't here for last year's county fair, was it? There is a small chalkboard sign next to the flap. "Fortunes Told $5.00 for single card reading, come inside." An arrow was drawn, pointing to the closed flaps of the tent. Something stuck in your mind, hadn't you heard something about a fortune teller earlier today? Oh, yeah! There was a weird new gospel booth set up and they were ranting about the evils of divination. This must be what they were so worked up about. You stand in front of the tent, intrigued by the thought of what your fortune might be. But if it's real, do you really want to know your fortune?
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Re: Cartomancy Mafia Sign Ups

Post by Spacedaisy »

Cartomancy Mafia
A mafia game for any number of players, 100 post cap per player per phase.

Setup features to note:
Role claim all you like, as there are only four roles in the game
No info-dumping regarding what card you drew and how you used it
Phases are 48/24
Thread will be closed at night
Votes will be movable
Both Chops and NKs will be flipped.
There will be no N0
Self targeting will not be allowed
Double targeting will not be allowed
The game isn't bastard but there might be an unexpected temporary element or two that you may or may not like.

Mystics (Civilians)

All Vanilla civilians plus The Oracle. The number of vanilla civilians depends upon the number of players.

The Oracle: Every night the Oracle reads a three card spread. This entails choosing three players. At the end of the night phase, The Oracle will learn the three cards that were drawn by that group of three players, but not which player drew which card. The Oracle cannot be night killed.

Order of the Holy Fire (Mafia)

A religious sect that believes that anything magical or occult must be wiped from the face of the earth. Traditional mafia win condition. All mafia goons plus the zealot. The number of goons depends on the number of players.

The Zealot: This is a Mafia Godfather. He can’t be eliminated by poll until his goons are all dead. Also controls the kill. While anyone on the team can submit a kill target, it will function as the Godfather’s ability.

Cards and their effects

Each night, every player that voted in the previous poll draws a card. The card they draw determines their ability for the night. Only two players will not draw a card, The Oracle and The Zealot. If a player neglects casting a vote, they will not be able to draw a card in the night phase.

The Major Arcana:

The Fool - Beginnings, Innocence, Spontaneity, A Free Spirit. A player who has drawn this card will appear to be a vanilla town if they should be targeted for any kind of checks that night.

The Magician - Manifestation, Resourcefulness, Power, Inspired Action. The player who draws this card may choose a suit to manifest for the night. You will not learn what the suit does until after you choose. If you draw The Magician again, you cannot choose the same suit you did previously until you have manifested all the suits at least once. The suits are as follows:

Cups: Emotions and Intuitions
Pentacles: Finances and Material Possessions
Wands: Energy and Motivation
Swords: Thoughts and Actions

The High Priestess - Intuition, Sacred Knowledge, Divine Feminine, The Subconscious Mind. The player who draws this card will be told who targets them that night, but not what card effect was used on them.

The Empress - Abundance, Growth, Fertility, Nurturing. The player who draws this card can choose one other player who will gain a second use of their ability the following night. This does not apply to one time use cards.

The Emperor - The Father Figure, Protector and Provider, Structure, Rules and Guidelines. The player who draws this card can choose one other player to protect from night kill that night.

The Hierophant - Religious belief, Conformity, Tradition. The player who draws this card will target another player who may not be the only vote on another player at the end of the day phase, and they may not be the first player to vote for another player. If they do either of these two things, they will not draw a card the following night.

The Lovers - Love, Harmony, Relationships, Values Alignment, Choices. The player who draws this card will be allowed to choose one other player to have anonymous BTSC with for the following day phase.

The Chariot - Control, Willpower, Success, Action, Determination. The player who draws the Chariot will be able to control another player’s night target, should they have one. However, The Oracle and the Zealot cannot be controlled by the Chariot.

Strength - Strength, Courage, Persuasion, Influence, Compassion. The player who draws this card may jail another player. By doing so they block all of their actions regardless of what it is, but also protect them from any night actions that might target them except for a night kill.

The Hermit - Soul Searching, Introspection, Being Alone, Inner Guidance. The player who draws this card can target a player who will be forced to retreat from other players. If they have BTSC, they may not use it for the following day phase. Additionally, they will be limited to three posts during the following day, but they will also be removed from the poll.

Wheel of Fortune - Good Luck, Karma, Destiny, A Turning Point. The player who draws this may choose to do one of two things. They can either choose another player who will have two votes placed on them in the following poll, or they can choose another player who will have two votes removed from them in the following poll. Just remember, the wheel of fortune is always turning.

Justice - Justice, Fairness, Truth, Cause and Effect, Law. If the player who holds this card is night killed, they may choose to take another player of their choice down with them. If the player who holds this card is eliminated by poll, they may choose to take one of their voters down with them.

The Hanged Man - Pause, Surrender, Letting Go, New Perspectives. If the player who draws this card is either night killed or eliminated while they hold this card, their death will be deferred until the end of the following cycle. This will be announced at the time it should have occurred. They can vote but they cannot draw another card.

Death - Endings, Change, Transformation, Transition. This card is never drawn. Instead, Death follows the Zealot, who is the harbinger of death. Though the Zealot never partakes in divination, Death is his constant companion and he cannot escape it.

Temperance - Balance, Moderation, Patience, Purpose. If the player who draws this card chooses to play it, a number of living civilians equal to the number of living mafia members will be randomly chosen. The posts made by each during the following day phase will be added up and compared. If the totals are balanced within 5 posts of each other, the player who drew the Temperance card will be granted one alignment check. If they are not in balance within 5 posts of each other, the player will only be told how many total players were tallied. As this card has no useful purpose for the mafia, if a mafia member draws it, their night kill becomes a strongman kill for the following night.

The Devil - Shadow Self, Attachment, Addiction, Restriction. The player who draws this card may choose to attach themselves to another player for the following cycle (day/night). Doing so allows this player to obtain use of the other player’s card the following night, but also binds them to that player. Whatever happens to that player also happens to the person who drew the Devil card. The chosen player will not know the Devil was used on them, they will use their card as normal. However, if they draw a one time use card, the person who drew the Devil may steal this one time use from them.

The Tower - Sudden Change, Chaos, Upheaval, Revelation, Awakening. This card may only be used once in the game. The player who draws this card may choose to randomize all night targets.

The Star - Hope, Faith, Purpose, Renewal. If the player who draws this card is a civilian, they may guess the identity of The Oracle and will be told if they are correct.

The Moon - Illusion, Fear, Anxiety, Subconscious, Intuition. This card can only be used once in the game. The person who draws this card may choose to end the day phase immediately. The top vote earner at the time the card is played will be eliminated just as if the day had progressed normally. If no one has any votes at the time the card is played, no one will be eliminated.

The Sun - Positivity, Fun, Warmth, Vitality, Success. This card can only be used once in the game. The person who draws this card may choose to end the night phase early. Only night actions which have already been turned in at the time the Sun is played will go through.

Judgement - Judgement, Rebirth, Inner Calling, Absolution. This card will not be used more than once in the game. The player who draws this card has the choice whether or not to absolve the person who gains the most votes in the following day poll, resulting in no elimination.

The World - Completion, Integration, Accomplishment, Travel. The player who draws this card may choose to hold it. If they make it to the final day and still hold the card, they will be granted a personal win, regardless of their alignment or the outcome of the game. However, they cannot draw any other cards for as long as they choose to hold The World. They can choose to let it go at any time during the game and they will draw as usual after they do.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Sabiplz
<3
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: They them
Aka: Kuti

Post by Sabiplz »

Me: I need a mafia break

Also me: signs up
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Sabiplz wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:30 pm Me: I need a mafia break

Also me: signs up
:hugs: Sorry to tempt you out of a break. Also not sorry because I love you!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

To clarify on the no info-dumping regarding cards and their use thing:

I always build ambiguity into my games, because I like to force players to utilize their intuition at least a little. So for everything you see happen, there are multiple options for how it could have happened. If you know why it happened, you are welcome to speculate, "hey, it could have been that this card was used." But what you can't do is say you know it was the effect of a certain card or another. So you are not forbidden from talking about the card you know you used. You just are not allowed to make it obvious that you are saying that based on any kind of information. Additionally, some cards can screw with your card use as well, so you don't know for certain that what you think you know is actually the full picture. Never present anything you say as factual and never reveal your night activity. Let me know if that is unclear!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
☆Princess Abigail☆
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by ☆Princess Abigail☆ »

/in fosho this looks awesome
Bubbly Magical Girl who loves Caitlin more than anything in the world!

Resident Juice Sipping Icon

ImageImage
You are Zenon, Town 1-shot Desperado. You’re known for posting a lot (namely in anime gif form), playing a lot, and, most importantly, making snap decisions – particularly in the endgame. In a recent game, Wild West FM, you were taken to final 3 and immediately voted the last wolf, resulting in a LyLo that was strictly speaking over in four minutes and two posts. This game, we’re giving you the chance to accomplish a similar feat.

High-Risk High-Reward (Day 2+, 1-shot, Immediate): Spend 6 Snapvote Charges, post Fuck it we ball glgl in bold red text, and ping a player. (When you use this ability, you should also inform the hosts privately.) If they are Town, you will strongman die. Otherwise, you will strongman kill that player. This action resolves instantly.
Scotty
Jeff
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

Schedule is getting hairy. I’m a definite maybe
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Just a heads up, I am traveling Friday back to Ohio from Florida. Once I am settled back there in Buckeye Land, I will properly do some recruiting and what not. I'd like to get at least to 15 if we can, and we can take up to 23 players before I will have to make adjustments, but those can be done easily with the minor arcana. So there you go. For a fun time, we'll have a tarot night in the discord this coming Saturday to promote it too. Come join in if it interests you! Saturday at 7pm EST.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

Dope looking theme. I didn’t even know Daisy liked Persona.
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

im the mod
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Alrighty, I've been doing some recruiting personally and I'm going to give a little incentive to the players who sign up if you should recruit someone to play. Everyone who recruits at least one other player will get a pregame draw from the minor arcana. I'll use that card to give you a little personal boost. Make sure the player who signs up let's me know you recruited them.

Like I said, I'd like to have at least 15 for a good start, and we can take up to 23 before I have to make some adjustments, but they are easily managed. I'm aiming to start next weekend if we have the players to start by then.
@NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
@Sabiplz
@Matahari
@sig
@Neon
@Seanzie
@falcon45ca
@Jackofhearts2005
@DrWilgy
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Sabiplz
<3
Preferred Pronouns: They them
Aka: Kuti

Post by Sabiplz »

I'm going to spec. I need the mafia break
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Sabiplz wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:17 am I'm going to spec. I need the mafia break
I understand 💜
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

Aww nuts, of course our games are in signups at the same time!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Since my game seems to be going the wrong direction in sign ups, I’m going to let them pass this game by and come back to it in a game or two and see if it goes better then. Sorry guys. I don’t want to stall games by mine sitting in sign ups for ages and my recruiting hasn’t helped, we are three shorter than when I started recruiting. So yeah. We’ll shelve this for the moment.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Porscha
Made Man

Post by Porscha »

i'd love to play something like this in january or february
You're being an unacceptable level of stupid, with zero sexy, and no sense of humor.
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

Yeah, this is definitely not the content of the game that is holding me out- it is 100% just terrible timing for me in general. January is a much better dealio, knowing full well that GoC will also be then
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Yeah I told Marmot to pass me up and let the next game or two ho and then circle back to me. We will give it a try later. If it doesn’t work a second go round then I’ll just shelve it entirely. I’ll ping everyone who signed up as yes or maybe to see if they might still be interested. But I don’t want to hold up the queue.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
☆Princess Abigail☆

:(

ImageImage
You are Zenon, Town 1-shot Desperado. You’re known for posting a lot (namely in anime gif form), playing a lot, and, most importantly, making snap decisions – particularly in the endgame. In a recent game, Wild West FM, you were taken to final 3 and immediately voted the last wolf, resulting in a LyLo that was strictly speaking over in four minutes and two posts. This game, we’re giving you the chance to accomplish a similar feat.

High-Risk High-Reward (Day 2+, 1-shot, Immediate): Spend 6 Snapvote Charges, post Fuck it we ball glgl in bold red text, and ping a player. (When you use this ability, you should also inform the hosts privately.) If they are Town, you will strongman die. Otherwise, you will strongman kill that player. This action resolves instantly.
Kate
LAMIST Supatown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Kate »

I'll definitely be down to play in January. I'm guessing @Dennis will too.
Andrew wrote: Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm I'm voting llama again because I think I heard him say something that looks like proof.
Dennis
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself

Post by Dennis »

Uh yes please
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

I’ll play when it comes back around!
Gro-oo-ovy
☆Princess Abigail☆

I'll be here

ImageImage

Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

What's the minimum you need for this? We should get this going after Felt 3 ends! C'mon folks, let's ensure SD has enough players; this looks really good.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Kate
LAMIST Supatown

Post by Kate »

I'm in I think @Dennis said he wanted to as well.
Andrew wrote: Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm I'm voting llama again because I think I heard him say something that looks like proof.
Dennis
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself

Post by Dennis »

Wheeee flying over to yes because Mom said so. Also because I want to play
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Well, we might end up filling before another game goes in sign ups anyway and run the game in January here, maybe after felt ends.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
robyn
screaming
Preferred Pronouns: they/them

Post by robyn »

@Bereft
Bereft
Drug Dealer
Preferred Pronouns: He etc.

Post by Bereft »

Heya, Im in and confused.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Welcome. Why are you confused?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Baudib1
Stool Pigeon

Post by Baudib1 »

In
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Welcome!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Baudib1
Stool Pigeon

Post by Baudib1 »

Spacedaisy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:36 pmWelcome!
Lucy told me y’all are fun so I’m here.
Seanzie
Polarized
Preferred Pronouns: he/him or they/them

Post by Seanzie »

Is there an expected startdate for this?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

How would you all feel about like January 4th? If that’s too soon though we can push it to maybe Friday the 6th? Let me know what you guys prefer.
@sig
@Creature
@Neon
@Seanzie
@falcon45ca
@Jackofhearts2005
@DrWilgy
@Mongoose
@Roxy
@MacDougall
@Baudib1
@Alison
@Bereft
@lucy
@Dennis
@Kate
@RondoDimBuckle
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
falcon45ca

Post by falcon45ca »

Spacedaisy wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:09 pm How would you all feel about like January 4th? If that’s too soon though we can push it to maybe Friday the 6th? Let me know what you guys prefer.
@sig
@Creature
@Neon
@Seanzie
@falcon45ca
@Jackofhearts2005
@DrWilgy
@Mongoose
@Roxy
@MacDougall
@Baudib1
@Alison
@Bereft
@lucy
@Dennis
@Kate
@RondoDimBuckle
I'm OK with any and all dates.

It really helps my fly by the seat of your pants mentality to life, liberty & mafia for all
we can't stop here...this is bat country!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImageImage
Seanzie
Polarized
Preferred Pronouns: he/him or they/them

Post by Seanzie »

Spacedaisy wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:09 pm How would you all feel about like January 4th? If that’s too soon though we can push it to maybe Friday the 6th? Let me know what you guys prefer.
@sig
@Creature
@Neon
@Seanzie
@falcon45ca
@Jackofhearts2005
@DrWilgy
@Mongoose
@Roxy
@MacDougall
@Baudib1
@Alison
@Bereft
@lucy
@Dennis
@Kate
@RondoDimBuckle
Either date works for me.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

☆Princess Abigail☆

Either works

ImageImage

DrWilgy
Capo Regime (Street Boss)

Post by DrWilgy »

The sooner the better for me.

Anything to fill the void of a mind at ease.
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Yeah, I see that Secret Playerlist mafia is over now too, so I think I'll aim for January 4th unless I hear strong objections from people who haven't given an opinion yet.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Porscha wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:18 am i'd love to play something like this in january or february
If you are still interested, we'll start most likely the 4th or possibly the 6th at the latest.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Kate
LAMIST Supatown

Post by Kate »

DrWilgy wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:12 pm The sooner the better for me.

Anything to fill the void of a mind at ease.
This.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Well, no objections to Jan 4, and a couple in favor of it, so January 4th it is. That gives us time to get back into the normal routine and let's me prep everything. I'll start the game at 8 PM EST on January 4th.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
staypositivefriend
Hitman
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by staypositivefriend »

/in if it's not too late!
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Nope, it's not too late. Welcome to the game!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
alexa
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers/herself

Post by alexa »

Are there no alignment flips? Or just no role flips?

Sub/maybe
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Chopped roles are revealed, NKs are not.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Actually, I'm thinking on this and I think with the setup it makes more sense to flip both chops and NKs. I'll adjust that in the setup.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
tutuu
Capo Regime (Street Boss)

Post by tutuu »