Videogame Walrus

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 21
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Videogame Walrus

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

REVEALS SATURDAY, 7 PM UTC, IN THE WALRUS SERVER: https://discord.gg/mrTndfUDP

Greetings! This is the first time I host a walrus, and I am bringing a novel theme to it.

Videogame music appears from time to time in walrus submissions, and I'm a big submitter of them myself. Not everyone likes them, which is ok. But this time, instead of having the game songs be the underdogs, I'm making them the star of the show. The entire show, actually.

This walrus has the following core rules:

1- Every song that is submitted, and the version of that song that is submitted, must have first appeared in the soundtrack of a videogame.

2- If the version of the song that is being submitted is not the original version, then the original version must also have first appeared in a videogame.

So for example, no picking songs from Guitar Hero, unless it is a song that originated in Guitar Hero itself. It's fine if the song appeared in other media, as long as it was in a game first, and you are showing me a version from a game.

Now, for a few other rules:

Spoiler: show
- To send your submissions, just send me a private messgage here or in Discord (DDL_), with links to websites where the song plays. Please keep submissions anonymous (make sure the links you send me don't embed the youtube videos).

- Submissions are due Sunday, Jun 4th, 11:59 PM UTC+0.

EDIT: deadline has been extended to Jun 15th, 11:59 PM UTC+0.

- No cap on number of participants.

- There are 11 categories. Because the number is a little high, and because not everyone has played dozens of games, I made a rule to make things a little easier: only the 8 highest scoring submissions by each user will count towards the final score. So it's possible to get a perfect score even if you don't submit songs for all categories, as long as you submit at least 8. Submitting 11 will increase your winning chances, though, since you get to discard your bad ones. Also, in case the contest ends with a tie, the 9th-11th highest scoring entries will be used as tiebreakers.

- Scoring will just be based on how much I like the song, from 0 to 10. There will be no formal scoring for category fit. This is because, due to the nature of the walrus, it's pretty easy to know if a game fits the category or not, because they are mostly tied to specific types of game levels and situations.

That said, to prevent this from going off the rails, I may remove up to 2 points if a song doesn't fit the category.

Also, how strict the category will be varies. For the Press Start and the Credits Roll categories, the song HAS to be from an opening/title and an ending, respectively. This is because the songs in those sections aren't normally tied to a specific musical genre, the only thing specific about them is the section itself. The Not an Instrumental category is also pretty clear cut: the song must have voice. The rest of the categories are more subjective. I will accept submissions from levels/sections of games that match the description (i. e. a boss song for the boss category), and I will also accept if they don't match the type of level, but still feel like they could be from it, based on how I described the category (i e., a song that is not from a boss, but it's epic/tense enough that it could be from one). Feel free to be creative, but use your common sense. I'm expecting not to have to apply the 2 point penalty at all.

- Nothing is banned, and I don't necessarily have a preference over things I already know or don't. That said, I'm a human, so I might score something higher if I hear it for the first time because of the novelty, but then again, I might also score it higher if you hit my nostalgia buttons. I'll try to be fair and objective to the best of my ability, but I can't guarantee anything.

- Categories are not mutually exclusive. I. e. just because there is a category for voice songs, it doesn't mean you can't send me 11 voiced songs. Just specify which song you want to be in which category.

- There will be no formal cap in song length, but bare in my mind my attention spam isn't huge.

- Because this is my first walrus, I assume I'll learn how to host it as I do it, so rules may be added/edited as it is necessary, but I'll try to give everyone forewarning whenever necessary.

Now, without further ado, blow your cartridge, grab your controller, tell your mother that you will be unavailable for the next 6 hours and allow me to present the categories:

1- Press Start to Play

Every videogame has that screen where the logo shows and a song fitting with the overall theme of the game plays. Usually an upbeat song, but not always. Some games take it further by having an entire sequence, full of cinematics, or a gameplay demonstration showing bits of the game's levels. This category is for songs that play before the player actually starts playing. Genre doesn't matter here, as long as this happens before the playthrough (though I'll open an exception if the big opening sequence/screen comes after a short playable prologue).

2- The Open World

You have left the cramped tutorial area at the start. Suddenly, the entire world opens to you. It is huge, and begging to be explored. This is a song that plays in large open areas, or overworld maps. It tends to feel optimistic or epic. Or sometimnes, filled with mystery or tension as you enter an area that seems dangerous. Give me a song that conveys the wonder and curiosity of a new place to explore.

3- Freezeezy Peak

There are many classic themes of game levels, and I'm not making categories for all of them, but for some reason, snow/ice levels tend to have songs that become favorites of mine. Maybe they are calm and soothing, and convey a sense of emptiness that is relaxing. Maybe they are fun and catchy christmas songs. Show me your best chilly songs.

4- Yoshi's Island

Another type of level that tends to produce great songs are tropical levels. Islands, jungles, beaches, indigenous tribes. They tend to have different instruments with lots of percussion and upbeat tunes. Some of them go the other way and make you feel like you are relaxing in a beautiful beach in the middle of summer. If the category above was for chill, this one is for warmth.

5- Escape from Planet Zebes

You are just minding your business, checking the loot you have collected, when suddenly a massive dragon appears and starts chasing you, and you have just a few seconds to start running or it will eat you. Or the building you are in is about to explode. Or all of your characters are at low health, and they will die next turn if you don't do anything. Your adrenaline spikes, and you desperately press the buttons on your controller to get to safety. The words for this category are dread, fear, adrenaline.

6- Free Category

There are many types of levels and moments in games that I did not portray here, because there are too many categories already. But you may have one of those that you want to submit. Or maybe you have two snow level songs and don't want to pick one. This is a free category. Anything is fine, as long as it's from a videogame.

7- The Puzzle Song

Sometimes in a game, you will spend a long time doing a monotone activity: solving a difficult puzzle, fiddling with menus to optimize your equipment, questioning characters to figure out which one of them is the murderer. The songs that play in these situations tend to be more "background-like", songs you won't pay much attention to because you are focused in the task at hand. They lean more on the relaxing side, but are energetic enough that they help you focus. A good non-videogame parallel are songs that you might listen to when studying, or working out. Sometimes, such songs are so good that you will stop doing the task for a few minutes just to pay attention to the music. Show me one of those.

8- The Bonus Room

You have just found a secret door leading to a room that has thousands of coins, and you have a few minutes to collect as many as you can. Or you collected all the coins, and now you get to be invincible for a whole minute. Or you are just playing silly minigames between the previous story sequence and the next. These songs tend to feel disconnected from the theme of the game, and tend to be childish and/or carefree. Give me a song that just wants to make you get a dopamine rush for no reason.

9- The Non-Instrumental Category

Sometimes, people may submit instrumental songs, and there might even be a category in the walrus for them. Well, this is a walrus where most songs are likely to be instrumental, so I'm making a category for songs that have voice. While not every game has those, especially old games, some games have a whole bunch, and some have one or two that are reserved for memorable parts of the game.

10- The Boss Fight

Now the situation has gotten serious. The enemy in front of you is a boss, not necessarily the final boss, but it's clearly much stronger those minions you have been killing on the way here. The door behind you locks, and you can't run away. It's do or die. The fight that is about to ensue will be difficult, but victory will be really worth it. Songs here can be fast, epic, or scary and tragic, or they may be remixes of the level or a character's theme. Those songs tend to be some of the best and most memorable of videogames, so give me your best shot.

11- The Credits Roll

We started with the opening, so we end with the ending. This song makes you remember all the trials you have gone through and the hours of fun you've had. It can be sad and poignant, or it can give a sense of triumph. Or it's a remix of other songs that played before, to add the feeling of nostalgia for the experience you have just have. Like category 1, any genre is welcome here, as long as it plays in the ending sequence of a game.
Last edited by Dragon D. Luffy on Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Videogame Walrus

Post by Epignosis »

You're guaranteed three submitting persons from this one household.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Syn
Hitman

Post by Syn »

This will be really difficult. I'm not /inning (yet?), but I'll keep this in the back of my mind and mull it over the next weeks.
ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Syn wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:16 pm This will be really difficult. I'm not /inning (yet?), but I'll keep this in the back of my mind and mull it over the next weeks.
It's ok, I don't expect the signs ups to be the same usual population as from most walruses. Do note that I have a rule letting you discard up to 3 worst entries, so if you only manage to submit 8, you won't necessarily get behind in scoring.
Epignosis wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:35 pm You're guaranteed three submitting persons from this one household.
How to fill up a videogame related contest: host it in a forum where people have children.
Wisdom
The Mark
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: She/They
Aka: Akarna

Post by Wisdom »

Awh yeah
/in
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

i am so incredibly in
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DaughterOfOmega »

I will say in

with the caveat that Im actually busy with summer school and who knows if I sub
Porscha
Made Man

Post by Porscha »

count me in
You're being an unacceptable level of stupid, with zero sexy, and no sense of humor.
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Deadline is tomorrow and I only have 3 users with submissions. Should I maybe prolong the deadline?
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:40 am Deadline is tomorrow and I only have 3 users with submissions. Should I maybe prolong the deadline?
Just sent mine (properly formatted- sorry for screwing up two of the other submissions you got. :( )
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Porscha
Made Man

Post by Porscha »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:40 am Deadline is tomorrow and I only have 3 users with submissions. Should I maybe prolong the deadline?
I was gonna make sure mine was in on time regardless but I wouldn't mind if you extended it a couple days tbh lol
You're being an unacceptable level of stupid, with zero sexy, and no sense of humor.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Since I only have 4 submissions so far, I'm officially extending the deadline until June 15th, 11:59 PM UTC+0, in order to try to increase the number of subs.

This walrus will happen even if I don't get any more submissions. But I assume it will be more fun if we have more, so I'm giving more time (and will also do more advertising, which so far I haven't done much of).

I apologize to the 4 people who have submitted under the deadline since I'm changing the rules now, but I think this is worth it.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

@Syn
@Wisdom
@DaughterOfOmega
@Porscha

In case you are still interested.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Submissions so far:

1- Quin
2- Motobot
3- Simon
4- Epignosis
Porscha
Made Man

Post by Porscha »

Yes I almost finished mine last night but I'm rushing and I'm happy to have more time to make it better
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:48 pm @Syn
@Wisdom
@DaughterOfOmega
@Porscha

Doing chemistry homework, hate this class and feel busy everyday. Will finish the sub soon
DaughterOfOmega
Money Launderer

DaughterOfOmega wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:10 pm
Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:48 pm @Syn
@Wisdom
@DaughterOfOmega
@Porscha

Doing chemistry homework, hate this class and feel busy everyday. Will finish the sub soon
I really don't know if I can find the time. This class is making me very stressed out, and Im currently failing. I can't do well no matter how much i try, and so I need to do something to get my grades up.

-minor edit by JJJ-
Syn
Hitman

Post by Syn »

ok

ImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Submissions so far:

1- Quin
2- Motobot
3- Simon
4- Epignosis
5- NFUN
6- deogenerate
7- Syn
8- Marmot
sprityo
The Turncoat
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

submitted
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Submissions so far:

1- Quin
2- Motobot
3- Simon
4- Epignosis
5- NFUN
6- deogenerate
7- Syn
8- Marmot
9- sprityo
10- falcon
11- hbthebattle
12- Wisdom
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Subs are closed, and we have 154 songs!

1- Quin
2- Motobot
3- Simon
4- Epignosis
5- NFUN
6- deogenerate
7- Syn
8- Marmot
9- sprityo
10- falcon
11- hbthebattle
12- Wisdom
13- UF8
14- Porscha
Last edited by Dragon D. Luffy on Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Ok so I'm listening to the songs (cat 1 is already full of good stuff) and I'm going to reveal one category a week, mostly likely weekends.

The first reveal session will be next Saturday, Jun 24th, 5 PM UTC (or 1 PM EST, or 2 PM Brazil time). It should last about 60-90 min.

We will be having the reveals play on voice chat, so it will be fun! Feel free to join if you can.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

1- Press Start to Play

Score: 6.0/10.0

Submitted by: Quin

This sounds like something I'd have liked 15 years ago. I listened to a lot of Power Metal as a teen. Unfortunately, I just don't dig that anymore, sorry. It's trying to be emotional but I just don't feel it. The lyrics are kind of going on about whatever, and it overstays its welcome a bit. The redeeming part is the guitar riff that plays in the beginning/end (reminds me of 80s Brazilian rock), and I kind of wish the entire song was like that.

Score: 6.8/10.0

Submitted by: falcon45ca

This is a weird entry, because it's by far the shortest one in the list. It's just a small vignette. A solid vignette, mind you, that probably brings nostalgia to a lot of people (though I only played LttP much later into my teen years so I'm not one). But after listening to all the other longer, more ambitious songs, it just doesn't compare favorably, you know?

Score: 7.6/10.0

Submitted by: motobot

This is catchy! Shovel Knight is in my to-play list, and this song just pushed it up. What it tells the player is that there are fun, energetic times ahead. The problem is that after 20 seconds, you have heard the whole thing, and then it just loops with little variations, and kinda gets annoying. So it's really the LttP song with extra steps. But I like this one than the other one.

Score: 7.8/10.0

Submitted by: sprityo

Why is there a rythm game with a sci-fi theme? I don't know, but apparently that is a thing that works. The beginning reminds me of Metroid, then it turns into a pretty beautiful vocal. The dubstep/eletronics in the middle don't really do it for me, though.

Score: 8.1/10.0

Submitted by: Simon

Hype! Characters you have always known are about to clash again and it's gonna look/feel more awesome than ever! This song delivers its message pretty well. It's short and sweet, though the solo in the middle is a bit long because it wants to show the entire cast. The format is a bit limiting, but it does a good job with what it's trying to do.

Score: 8.3/10.0

Submitted by: Syn

This is really cool! I was moving my legs dancing the moment it started playing. And the war-like yelling meshes well with it. I do think it's a bit longer than it has to be, though, because it doesn't really try to move past the initial beat. It's a similar issue to the Shovel Knight theme, but this one holds itself together longer.

Score: 8.5/10.0

Submitted by: Marmot

Yes, this got a high grade for the meme. Sorry, not sorry. This song is a pillar of gaming culture. It's incredibly cheesy, it's not even great music, but damn if 10 yo me didn't think it was great. And you know what? That's the measure of quality that matters. What it sets to do is showcase all the characters and moves you will have access to, and an ironic "coolness" vibe (I mean it's literally apes). Now without further ado, enjoy the JUNGLE BEATS.

Score: 8.6/10.0

Submitted by: UF8

Keep your tissues nearby, because you will be crying a lot soon. It's a sad, beautiful song, which suggests the game is like that. I'm more curious on why I have never heard of this game. It's also pretty Japanese, and the kind of stuff you find in most JRPGs. Not groundbreaking, but just a nice little sad song.

Score: 8.8/10.0

Submitted by: Epignosis

Man, I need to play Bioshock. It's been sitting on my library for longer than anything else. This song is a hint for what is coming, which is a mix of horror and sadness. It's one of those instrumentals that feel like they are singing something. I like violin, and this is just chilling.

Score: 9.1/10.0

Submitted by: Wisdom

This is the twin brother of the Bioshock song, because it's also a hint song about something dark that happened in the past, and now the player has to find out. Curiosity is the word here. What in the hell happened with the Obra Dinn? Now I want to know, and this game is being added to my list. And it's a solid and catchy song on its own, too.

Score: 9.3/10.0

Submitted by: NFUN

This is just gorgeous. It is a short tune that repeats a lot, but it's a very good one. It gives a sense of magic and wonder, about the world you are about to explore. And I love the flute. I think this would be a good fit for either the open world or the tropical cats, but it works well here too.

Score: 9.4/10.0

Submitted by: Porscha

This is the song that was in my head when I woke up the morning after my first listen to the whole category. I don't know exactly why it works, it just does. Is it the opera duet? The fast drums? The epicness? Smash usually has good openings, but this is on another level. Sometimes you just need to add an opera to make something work.

Score: 9.7/10.0

Submitted by: hbthebattle

Whoever sent this must have a banger in the Open World cat, because this is a perfect fit for that. I just love it. It's like a great adventure is about to come, one full of danger but memorable times. Octopath was somewhere down in my list and it just got rocketed up. It might be my next Switch buy. That's how you tell an opening did its job.

Score: 9.8/10.0

Submitted by: deogenerate

Honestly, I'm in awe that this song even exists. It's a pinball game from 1992! Songs from this era just don't try to be this sophisticated, but this one surely did! It's chilling, with a sci-fi vibe, but it's also so fun, and it does so many different things! It's 5 minutes long and still makes its length worth it. What a hidden gem, ladies and gentlemen.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

2- The Open World

Score: 7.4/10.0

I swear the goal of this contest is not to dunk on FF14. This song is actually pretty good! I think I'd have fun riding a chocobo the first few times just because of it. The middle part is a bit meh, though, and it gets annoying quickly. It's not a bad song, but the rest are better.

Score: 8.0/10.0

This song does exact what the title proposes, which is to make the player relax. I bet that works great in a game about flying. The drums and harmonica are pretty neat too, and give it a novel feel. It gets a few extra decimals for the novelty. It lacks a bit of... oomph, though, I guess? I don't have a lot of bad to say about this category, overall.

Score: 8.2/10.0

What is elevator music doing in my open world cat? It kind of fits, though. A bit lonely, a bit calm, and just fun to hear. It's not my favorite thing in this cat, but I like it.

Score: 8.4/10.0

It's a Mario song. The goal is to release you to jump and run everywhere you may feel like. The tune accomplishes it, by feeling very happy and carefree. It feels a bit too simple compared to most other entries in this list, though. But hey. Mario song.

This one is hard to rank because I love this game, love this area and the song is really damn good. It's the quintessential exploration song. But for some reason it just worked better in the game for me than it does when I'm listening now. Other entries just feel more exciting, I guess. That said, play Xenoblade folks, it's Breath of the Wild but as an RPG.

Oh yes, I just recently looped this for maybe 30 hours. This song is interesting, because it's about repeating a map you have already explored, and in a much sadder and tenser storyline this time around. As such, while it keeps the freedom of this cat, it's overall sadder and more profound.

Submitted by: Motobot

Another Mario song. I like this one more, because despite being practically a first level song, it tries to make the whole thing feel EPIC, man. You are Mario and there is a large vertical area to explore, a T-Rex to turn into and stuff to find, so you should feel awesome. This is awesome!

Score: 8.9/10.0

This is so old school! The instruments are limited, but the melodie is pretty solid. It feels engaging, and almost makes me want to dance. Nice little gem.

Score: 9.0/10.0

Every step you take may kill you. But magic is everywhere, can't you feel it? And now I feel like playing The Witcher. This song is intense, but feels natural. Good stuff.

Score: 9.2/10.0

Without having played ME, I think I know what kind of scene this is in. The category is about openess, and this song is trying to make that openness feel scary. Opressive. Though eventually, it turns to optimism and bravery. A song for exploring a place that won't be easy to walk through, but it may be worth it in the end. Nice concept and execution.

Not exactly an open world, but this one goes more for a feeling of mystery and exploration, as well as a certain sadness. It also makes it feel like whatever is going on is meaningful. Chrono Trigger is a perfectly crafted clock where every part is such high quality that it elevates the work above what it should be capable of, and this song is just another example of that.

Score: 9.5/10.0

Wilderness. Like exploring an abandoned region, waiting to find the place where you can start rebuilding. It's a sad, intense song, the kind that makes me want to stop playing just to appreciate it.

Yeah. I know. The Zelda series basically owns this category. You could have sent me just the word "zelda" without a song and I'd have given you a 5 for the cat fit. But I think I'm liking this song even more now than when I first played WW? It's simple, but it feels like it embodies the idea of boundless adventure on its most raw, pure sense and it keeps getting even better as it plays.

This song is a master class on how to make an intro. It starts on a strong beat, then calms down and then builds on itself for a while, until it finally releases its real wonder. And then it's just one fun orchestra until the end.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

3- Freezeezy Peak

Score: 6.6/10.0

This one is fast. A bit too fast, though. I like fast, when it comes with a lot of different notes and beats, but this one just feels like it wants me to shake really hard. I can see people liking this, but it's not my thing, sorry.

I think... cacophony is the word I'm looking for here? Something about this song just doesn't mesh together. Most of its elements are fine though, the violin part is pretty cool. But the vocals are meh. I don't dislike it much, but I don't really enjoy it either.

This one goes for the more ominous territory, with the piano and the eery vocals in the back. It's a pretty song. There are a bunch of cool looking characters in the video too. I've never really gotten Fate, and this is the Fate that is a mobile gacha game, right? I didn't know these had music! Pretty fine considering where it comes from.

OMG it's Croc! I played this ay my aunt's PC when I was like 6, one of the first games of my life. One of the ice songs from the first Croc is an all time favorite of mine, perhaps the song that prompted me to like ice songs on the whole. But alas, this is Croc 2, which I didn't play, and this ain't that song. This one is pretty good ambient music, but it's not really something I feel like listening on its own, tbh.

Score: 8.1/10.0

Submitted by: marmot

Aaaaand... you just got knocked down by a penguin. This one is a classic from my childhood. It's rather simple, but catchy as expected from Mario. The intruments are fine, but are not super engaging. This is pretty fun, but gets old fast.

This song is strange, I feel like it wants to relax you and agitate you at the same time. I like it! It's a bit old school, a bit sad too but also the right song for someone running on snow while riding a dragon, I suppose.

A Mario rythm game! I only knows this exists because of a video from Jaiden Animations roasting this game (it's hilarious, watch it). The song itself is solid, though. It's a remix of some old mario song, with more ice and some... electronics? And it's just pleasant to hear.

Score: 8.7/10.0

This one is trying to hit some place between the epicness of a pokemon song, and the prettiness of an ice song. The result is pretty good! Not something I want to loop, but I really enjoy the first listen.

This is catchy! It feels like something that plays in a racing game, and there is a cute part in the middle too. I feel like dancing.

It's the 007 song! Except as a snow level track. This one wants to focus on the rough part of winter, of walking and working in a very cold place. It's a song that goes places and is pretty fun to listen. I haven't played this game but I could see this song really improving a mission.

Undertale, at least for me, is a game that tends to be remembered more for the boss tracks than the level ones, so I had forgotten this one existed. It's nice to hear it again! This is the area of the game that comes after the drama of the caves and before the story starts getting serious again, where you can just make friends with some skeleton dudes. As such, the song wants to be happy. Really happy. And soothing. Nice one.

Is this Hollow Knight? Cuz I'm watching a video and it feels like it. Probably not going to play because I don't dig metroidvanias despite many of them looking great, but danmit if this isn't a good song. It wants to convey sad memories but also a lot of drama and determination in the middle.

You guys are going to make me buy Octopath, won't ya? Well what can I say, it's a song that starts calm like most ice song but then just gets more and more intense and now I want to know what kind of scene this is even in. Nice one.

Score: 9.9/10.0

I knew this was a banger 5 seconds in. I love the main beat. But there is more. There is an intense guitar in the middle. There is an oboe solo. I was looking franctically in the comments just to learn the name of the instrument. The drums are solid, too. It keeps getting better and better for 6 minutes, and what starts as a dramatic song eventually becomes a fun jazz. What a masterpiece.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

4- Yoshi's Island

Score: 6.5/10.0

This song is kind of just... weird? And noisy. I kept trying to get it, but I don't get it. The bass is kind of fun but gets old. Meh.

Score: 7.1/10.0

Extremely harmless. This song has no bite whatsoever. It's just chill, but not in a particularly catchy way or anything. It just... exists. Honestly, I think it's the perfect song for Animal Crossing, which is a series of games about nothing. I don't hate this song, but I don't feel anything about it either, y'know?

This song is mixed feelings in a nutshell. There is a blues song and it's very good. There is also an electronic beat in the back, and it's not good. Unpleasant, even. I'm guessing it's a genre issue, and I'm not really into this kind of beat, sorry.

This one is pretty fun, but I feel like it's the kind of thing that gets more fun when you play in-game it than in isolation. It's very energetic and has some exciting parts but it just doesn't catch me, I guess. Hard to explain. But it's pleasant to hear, overall.

The piano sells this song. It's not good, it's great. It single-handedly puts the song into dancing territory. Which is necessary, because the rest of the song is rather generic "this is an epic tournament match" stuff.

The name of this song explains what it's about. It's ambient music, the stuff they play in the background to make you relax. But this song has some nuance, a few sound effects playing at key moments that make you feel like you are underwater. And then there is the violin part which is just perfect. I tend to get a bit bored when not in the violin part, though.

This is really something. The first part is a kind of simple beach vibe, though it has cute instruments here and there that keep me invested. But then it just gets intense out of nowhere in the middle. It changes genre and kind of defies the category. It's a good transition.

This is just happiness in song form. It's summer! Go out! Everything is great!

This one is the definition of childish but catchy. I just enjoy hearing it! Good sax, too. And when you think it's starting to loop it just adds a fun percursion.

This is just a fast song that is great to hear. Apparently this is a fast paced action RPG which looks fun and hey it's 70% off on steam so look it's in my library now. It has a semi melancholic part in the middle which is nice, too.

Another song that is happiness in song form, but more rock. If you are sad after hearing this I dunno what to say. Good stuff.

Score: 9.6/10.0

This is so fun! It has a very native vibe, with the angry voices in the back, but also a bunch of intruments which get more and more intense, and you keep thinking the song will end but it goes! The last two minutes are just incredible.

The song everyone mentions when they want to start a conversation about how DK having good music. It's pure art. It's relaxing but also engaging. It's also included in two of the most horribly difficult levels in the series, which is a weird relationship, but I digress. I could just spend an hour hearing it in loop.

Score: 10.0/10.0

I don't even like WW that much compared to most zeldas. But Dragon Roost is my favorite part of the game, and this song is one big reason why. It's an absolute banger. There are 3 instruments, each one doing their own thing, which at times feel like they are separate until they suddenly start blending. I was listening to this and youtube recommended me a 9 min video from a guy using music theory to explain why it's so good. I didn't fully get it, but what I understood is that it constantly alternates fast and slow notes, light and heavy, happy and sad, in an hypnotizing loop of awesomeness. 10/10.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

5- Escape from Planet Zebes

Score: 5.8/10.0

This is very creepy. It's weird to grade this because I think it would definitely have place in some types of scenes. It's a mental breakdown in song form. The problem is, it's barely a song, and is more like a series of creepy, and unpleasant sounds. I don't enjoy listening to this at all, but I think it would play well in a game.

Score: 7.3/10.0

This is more pleasant to hear, but it's still a bit too repetitive for my tastes. The cat fit is not great here either, it's a more relaxing one than a tense one, imo.

Score: 7.7/10.0

This one is huh... kinda meh? It's trying to be scary too but is rather tame at it. It's just a short tune being repeated, too.

This one is just a classic. It feels a bit dated compared to other songs in this list though, being just a simple boss tune, but it makes battles fun when it plays.

This one is not pleasant to hear at all, but it scares me. It's full of alien and unsettling noises that keep you on the edge. And that's the point of this category, so I'm giving it points for accomplishing what it sets out to do. It's still in the "more noise than music" category, though. I don't enjoy it much, but it gets higher than the previous ones because I get feelings (of fear) from listening to it.

This is just one cool metal song, nuff said. It also works perfectly for a scene where you are chased by a giant monster in a crumbling catle or whatever is going here.

#7/#8

This is pretty epic, and also rather pretty. You are being chased, but you are probably watching some beautiful scenery while at that.

#7/#8

This is the type of song that is elevated by its title (or by actually playing the game so you know what is going on). It's the end of the world! As such, while it's scary, it's also very sad. The heavy parts that appear mid song feel like things exploding as the world ends.

This is more hope than dread, tbh. Which makes sense for Undertale, a game about conquering impossible odds with the power of kindness. Probably a better fit for the boss cat. But it's intense and fun, and it's one of the more unsettling songs in the game's soundtrack.

It's that song from Smash! Except not, it's apparently the original one. Which I think I like more than the smash ones? It has a lot of instruments playing at once and while it's short and old school, it just accomplishes the job of keeping the player on the edge.

This is fun! It is not too fun though, being a bit tense, but that's not a bad thing for this cat. It's full of changes and a guitar solo too, which I always dig. It also also has a jazz-like sound that is somehow the most intense part of the music.

this might be my favorite entry of the Cornered songs in the PW series. This is not a song about dread though, rather, it's about winning, but I'll allow it. When you just found the decisive proof and now the real killer is pissing his pants. It's energetic and epic. This works especially better in context because this is the game where situation tends to be the most stacked against the protagonist (because Phoenix is inexperienced and the villains are OP), so when this starts playing, it's pure catharsis. Good stuff.

When your mother warned you about metal being evil, she was talking about this song. It's so nasty! I mean, just read the lyrics. Which you will need to watch the video for because apparently it's sung in some fictional language? It does have a lot of noise and parts that are just trying to make you feel bad, but then it alternates with some beautiful ones. I dig the combination

You could just stamp this "Made for DDL" and call it a day. It's everything I love in a piece of music. It's very fast and intense, but not noisy, and has some classic music bits that help balance the intensity out while still keeping it engaging. If this plays while I'm playing a fighting game I feel bad for whoever is about to be punched by my character, because I think this would make me very excited for it! Awesome song
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

7- The Puzzle Song

Score: 7.1/10.0

It's kind of ironic for Tetris to do bad in this cat, but I don't feel this song at call? It's kind of stressing, which I guess fits Tetris, but that also makes for something I don't really enjoy listening to.

Score: 7.7/10.0

This is pretty ominous. Which is kind of a problem, because I don't see the cat fit at all? The song itself isn't particularly bad, but isn't anything special, either.

This is very relaxing! Maybe a little too relaxing, though. I tend to prefer songs that are more on the intense side. Or the fast side. Or something that keeps my mind engaged. This one just makes me want to sleep.

This one is also as little scary and somewhat boring, but I like the second half, where it gets a fun bass going.

This one is pretty fun, and goes for a more mysterious vibe, but not too ominous either.

This one has been a pain to grade. I love this song. It might be the best song in V3. It is very thrilling, and it goes harder and harder as it progresses. It is played in some of the darkest parts of an already dark game, before some really tragic deaths happen. And now you see the problem: category fit. This isn't something for you to chill while you solve a puzzle, it's a song that rushes you into finishing that part asap so you can get out of it. I can't grade it low, because again, great song, but the lack of cat fit prevents me from placing it in the top tier.

This is fun! It's some kind of haunted house, but it's on the funny side.

#6/#7

This one makes me feel like I'm dreaming. It has a few different instruments and the result is just so pleasant.

#6/#7

This one goes for the vibe of wrongness. Something is clearly off. And the song keeps pausing, as if it's broken. At the same time, it's pretty cute and relaxing. Nice piece.

Oh yes, a classic song from a series I played a lot. This goes for an electronic vibe, with a pretty catchy tune, but simple enough that you can focus on the character building this song plays in. Good stuff.

#3/#4

This one goes for a bit of a mix between spooky and relaxing, and the result is just an engaging song that keeps growing on me. I hate this game, but it has two great songs in this list, what gives?

#3/#4

Oh yes, a song I have spent maybe 10 hours listening on loop in the past few weeks. I was prepared to rank this low because of the absolute lack of novelty, but it turns out the song is so good I don't mind listening more of it at all? It's classic workout music, energetic enough but not overbearing.

This song is relaxing, but it also conveys a feeling that something great is about to happen. It's so positive! Great guitar, too.

An obscure mobile gacha JRPG is not somewhere you expect to find a walrus winner, but here we are. It's blues. It's a a violin solo. And it's singing without actual lyrics. The result is something that feels casual, yet catchy, which makes you want to dance but also works just fine while concentrating on a puzzle.
Last edited by Dragon D. Luffy on Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

8- The Bonus Room

Score: 7.0/10.0

This is very childish. Which is the expected common theme of this cat. But the highly graded songs are the ones who can add something besides the feel of childhood. Does this piece do it? Not really.

Score: 7.6/10.0

This song is about 30 seconds, despite the length of the video. It's rather fun and has a distinct Japanese feeling, though the yelling doesn't vibe with that a lot. It's not something you want to loop, but it does add flavor to whatever minigame is in, I suppose.

This one is pretty fast and feels like it wants to be fun, but something about it doesn't click to me. It feels more annoying than fun, I guess.

How do I even begin to evaluate this? It's clear there is zero intention of making a good song here. The point is humor and novelty. And the song is rather funny, so I can't fault that. But can I grade this above any song that I actually enjoy hearing? No. It hurts my ears to hear this for too long.

And the Mario DDR game is in this list again. This is basically the Mario's theme song as a rock version and with some guy yelling. Not much to add, it's cute and fun.

This one feels like it should be in the Open World cat. Well, it's a rather exciting song that conveys the idea of adventure. It's a bit short though, and I feel like it ends before it can really get good.

This is actually multiple songs in one video, them being versions of the same song. The idea is likely that the song speeds up as the time limit runs out to make the player feel anxious. The execution is solid. The initial version of the song is fun and catchy, and then it just gets faster and faster until it stops being fun and becomes nerve inducing.

This one goes for the epic fanfare that is common for zelda, but is also silly and cute since it's a minigame. It's a pleasant listen the first few times, but I feel like it doesn't age well after a while.

This is basically a normal 16-bit bonus song, dressed with jungle thematic. It is a classic, though! And a piece that just works, making what is probably an unimpressive mini-game (the DKC series hadn't really gotten their bonus rooms right yet at this point) into an exciting experience.

Oh yes, those random card games in RPGs that have nothing to do with it. Some of them can be great (I spent a lot of time in the Tales of Berseria one, and the one from Bug Fables could be an e-sport if it wasn't in an indie game). This song kind of has a western feeling, as if you are entering a salloon to play cards with some shady looking guys. It's rather catchy.

It's like the Battleblocks song again, a pure piece of humor. This one rises above because it's not trying to make me pierce my eardrums. Also because it's legit funny. And rather creepy. It breaks cat fit but does it on purpose by making fun of the cat itself. I dig it.

While I was checking for cat fit, I saw someone online say "even the minigame songs in this game go hard". This doesn't feel like a pause, but as the main event of the entire game. But I searched and yes, it's a pause. A very exciting one.

In a dumb little mini game about hitting targets, this piece shows up, and tells you that the targets must be broken with violence. The song is both childish and epic, in that way only Smash knows how to do.

This one conveys the idea of a fast paced game where a lot of chaotic stuff happens. But besides being fast, it's also very pleasant to hear, making changes and using different sounds well. This wasn't even close to first in my first listen, but it grew on me.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

9- The Non-Instrumental Category

It's pop! Haven't had any pop in this contest so far, I think. I don't hate pop, but I'm not really into it either. This song is emotional, it's pretty, but it's kind of cringe, and feels like something I've heard a thousand times before.

Score: 8,1/10.0

This one is pretty fun to listen. Until you hear what seems to be the same chorus (not sure, I don't speak Japanese) for the 10th time. It's speedy, but that speed works against it because of its length. Make a 2 min version of it and it could end higher.

This one goes hard. It's a little beyond Power Metal and more like Trash Metal, if I'm not rusty about that stuff. It's a better type of metal, I guess, but I feel like it tries so much to go hard it gets kind of boring after a while. The ending is great though, and I wish more of the song was like that.

This one is pretty dramatic and rather catchy, though it does repeat itself a lot. I like the duet at the end, though. Apparently the scene this plays in is incredibly dark, too?

This song goes for a very cutesy feeling, fitting of... two Japanese teen girls in love, I guess? Feels like the kind of thing me from 20 years ago would try really hard not to get caught listening to, but these days I don't really care. Pleasant song, overall.

Beautiful voice! This song is rather simple, it's basically a love poem with some guitar. A little monotone, but very pleasant.

And now for some classic metal. This one is just trying to be as fun as it can. The growling gets meh after a while, but the song rocks.

Another Persona song and I'm really enjoying those. At first this felt a tad repetitive. But on a relisten, it grew on me.

The first half is a good, if a bit generic, battle song. The second half just doubles down on the fanfare though, and I love the transition.

And now for some more classic rock. This is from a famous band! But this song was actually made for the game, apparently. I feel like someone found a loophole. Anyway, fun song, fitting of a credits sequence, like a huge catharsis release.

One epic adventure is about to begin. Very pleasant voice, too. The song gets a bit lost in the fanfare later on, I think, and the beginning is the strongest part, but it's a solid piece.

This is also very power-metal-y, but in a way that works for me. It's slower and tries to add more weight to each verse before moving to the next one. And theres a flamenco bit in the middle for some reason. Sold.

What do you get when you remove dubstep from a song? You almost win the cat. Because another version of this song has been posted before, on Cat 1. Without the eletronics, it feels cleaner, and takes full advantage of the vocals and instruments to do something really emotional.

This is absolutely beautiful. It's like I'm dreaming. It's one of those songs that seem light but keep getting more intense as they go so you just get caught on it. Very nice.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

10- The Boss Battle

This song is just... kind of boring. It's good background music for a dramatic sequence, but I don't feel anything listening to just the piece itself. I think pretty much all the songs in this list work great when facing bosses, but that's not the situation I'm actually evaluating them at so songs like this one won't do that well.

Score: 7,8/10.0

This one goes for fast and noisy, which is exciting, but lacks a bit of substance I think. It gets boring quite fast.

It's a fast song, which is a common trend in this cat. The main tune in the second half (before looping) is pretty fun, but otherwise the song is a bit on the repetitive side.

You are screwed. This is what the song is saying. This is that kind of song that keeps you on your toes, especially if you start taking a lot of damage.

That's one mean guitar solo. It's the best part of the song, and could make me lose a fight if it started playing because I'd stop to hear it. The rest is the usual excitement fanfare.

These are getting more elaborate now. This one has a certain "clockwork" feeling, as if the boss is scheming something and now you have to stop them. It mixes horror and fast paced action.

This is more of a prog piece, going very fast with a lot of instruments. It has some great parts, though I feel it could stop to breathe a little.

This is one evil song, having some parts that feel unpleasant, but that add to the atmosphere. It has a lot of different things going at once which makes it exciting.

This one is so childish it shouldn't be a boss song. Which fits the character you are fighting. It's a short piece, but it's well crafted enough that it's just fun to listen, in the fight or in isolation.

That's one kick-ass intro. Then it loops into a faster version of it that is just epic and dramatic, fitting of a very tragic boss. And turns with a somber keyboard piece near the end. Honestly, Undertale music is just made of a different material.

This might be one of the most iconic videogame songs of all time, because it keeps appearing in top 10 lists of VG songs and being mentioned everywhere. So of course it would be here. It's interesting in that it doesn't really try to be dramatic all the time, but rather it goes to some surreal places, maybe even playful ones, like if to highlight the lack of humanity of the character. At the same time, it's kind of a military march. Or maybe I'm making shit up because I haven't played this. FF7 is that one game I've been meaning to play but never did for the longest time, usually remembering it exists whenever there is a GameFAQs contes going, but forgetting afterwards. Maybe one of these days...

This is a pretty fun kind of country, kind of rock song, which would already warrant a good grade. But then about when it starts to get boring and you think it's going to loop, it doubles down and turns into a way heavier piece of itself, and it feels awesome.

It's weird that out of the 3 final boss songs Undertale has, only the most famous one (the genocide route one) didn't appear in the entire contest. This one is less famous, but it happens to be my favorite of the trio. It's the boss song for the pacifist route, so while it wants to be dramatic, it also wants to convey a feeling of hope and triumph, which turns into a very pleasant listen overall.

Want your body to shake non-stop for 3 minutes? Listen to this. It's a frenetic and fun piece of jazz. If I'm listening to this in a boss, I think I just move as fast as I can, which maybe is the point. Awesome.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

11- The Credits Roll

Score: 8,0/10.0

This one is mostly a remix of happy parts from previous Undertale songs. It's fun, but I feel like it's a bit too simple, and this game can do way better than that.

This is pretty childish, which checks out for Kirby. It's a pleasant melodie, and it does that thing where it changes depending on what kind of level is appearing in the credits. It does use some fun instruments, but it does get a bit stale eventually.

This feels like one burst of catharsis, like finally stopping to take a breath after a very bloody battle. It's satisfying to hear, though I feel like without the context this is also a bit too simple.

This is one strange mix of a sad Japanese ballad and electronics, and while I'm not sure if the combo works, I enjoy the former. It's a pretty song! I saw Tekken and instantly expected another hard beat, but this feels like one of those things sprityo or deo post in this contest. Nice one.

This is so spooky! It doesn't feel like an ending song at all. It's intense and is a nice break of pace from the other stuff in this cat.

This is very old school. Feels like something from the NES. But apparently it's some gamecube game about battling robots? Weird. It's an upbreat rock song that is just fun.

Italian opera! Why not. It's a pretty song fitting for an ending, really.

Something REALLY epic just happened. And this game looks like something I'd like. Not buying it cuz my wallet can't take it anymore, but I'm adding it to steam wishlist.

A song from back when app games were playable. This is very catchy, on top of being a humor song, and I love those.

This is one of those songs that are just one simple guitar and a pretty voice, and well, it just works. It's a song for a 100+ hour game that left the player tired, so it delivers a feeling of relief, and longing.

#2/#3

Hey, I submitted this to a walrus once! The Syndicate's first walrus, which was hosted by nutella. I believe I subbed this for the love song category. Well this is my favorite song from Transistor. The chorus is absolutely gorgeous, the lyrics rule. This ending sequence appears at the end of an already great game and the scenes in it provide context to the whole story, which elevate an already good story into something really special. And the song does it well, being sad and comforting at the same time. Masterpiece.

#2/#3

You didn't know you needed a song in both Spanish and Latin, but you did. And now I'm in love with this. Parasite Eve is not even the kind of game I tend to play, and it's making me curious to do it. It's jazzy, and also very catchy.

Submitted by: marmot & Wisdom

This is that time where the score is very influenced by my personal attachment to the song. But this one earns it. This song has been living rent free in my head for over a decade, ever since I first played Portal. It will play in my head when I'm in the shower, in the car, at work. It's one of those songs that really make someone's gaming career. The song is mostly carried by its lyrics, which are fantastic. They are humorous and full of references to the game, but also very passive aggressive, because it's the villain who is singing them, and they are mad that you just killed them. Except you didn't, and the song exists to hint that there will be a second Portal game. But lyrics alone don't make a song attach to my head and never let go. This is VERY catchy. It's easy to remember, easy to sing, and gets better as it goes. Honestly, this isn't a song, it's a national anthem. Everyone should play Portal at least once, even if they are not a gamer.
Last edited by Dragon D. Luffy on Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”