Severance [27 / 27]

Moderator: Community Team

Will you accept the severance procedure?

Yes. Let me live free of the mundanities of work. (yes)
68%
No. I cannot sacrifice so much of myself. (no)
5%
I am undecided. The duality of severance is reflected in my own dissonance. (maybe/replacement)
15%
I am Kier Eagan. (host/spectator/MoD)
12%

Total votes: 41
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 22
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Severance [27 / 27]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Full game for as many players as it takes, though a minimum of 16 is necessary for it to be truly worthwhile.
Non-standard mechanics/structure (in the vein of my past games like Inception or Fallout 2)
Mind bender
Mind severer

This game will be based on the AppleTV series "Severance", which boasted what I consider to be one of the greatest first seasons of all time. The jury is still out on season 2 onward (once the strikes are resolved), but the first season is pure brilliance. You are not required to have seen the show, however, to understand or function in this game.

I said "non-standard" before. I MEANT THAT. This will not be a standard Mafia game. Do not sign up for it expecting a standard Mafia game. I can at least tell you what standard elements will be present:

The game will still broadly be based upon an uninformed majority attempting to solve an informed minority. That is: civilians versus mafia -- potentially including additional affiliation(s)

I will make every usual JaggedJimmyJay effort to ensure the game is balanced and fair for everyone that participates. I cannot promise perfect balance, but I tend to have a thorough and developed understanding of how to make games as fair as they can be within reason.

Role claiming will be legal in this game, and at least a substantial portion of the players will have power roles.

Additional game details to help people make an informed choice about signing up:

~This will not be a bastard game, at least as I define that term. By that I mean: I will not lie to the players as a host, I will not give them tasks that serve no purpose, and I will not include game-ending roles that could never fairly be anticipated. If you define "bastard" to mean merely "unusual" or "non-standard", it will be those things.

~ Ideally, I would love to have a large number of players in this game. With that in mind, however: players should not expect this game to last a very long time. It is unlikely to reach a Day 10 or more, for example, even if there are 30+ participants.

~ The non-standard features are predominantly mechanical, and they tie directly to the source material (the show "Severance"). Their purpose is primarily immersion with the theme, which is always what I most desire when I design a Mafia game beyond any ordinary level of complexity.
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Re: Severance [sign-ups]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

A trailer for those unfamiliar with the theme
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

Haven’t seen this show, and am looking for a new show to watch with the in-laws, but it’s always so hard to find one we all like.

For reference, the last show they got obsessed with is Yellowstone. How would you describe this one?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Scotty wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:04 pm Haven’t seen this show, and am looking for a new show to watch with the in-laws, but it’s always so hard to find one we all like.

For reference, the last show they got obsessed with is Yellowstone. How would you describe this one?
I haven't seen Yellowstone, but my impression is that Severance is very different from that. The "with the in-laws" factor always adds complexity, because your chances of success rely on more than just the show being good. It has to align with whatever their tastes are. They might still like it though.

It's a bit of a psychological examination, and it can be a bit slow in pace. It is atmospheric and dialogue-driven, so don't expect much in the way of action or loud drama. It's a show about the human mind itself, and one's enjoyment of the series may depend upon their own willingness to introspect. I think it is brilliant, but not everyone will agree. The video above can give you a more specific impression, though keep in mind that trailers are often embellishments (and often for the worse).

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

MartinGG99
Racketeer
They/them

Post by MartinGG99 »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:10 pm It's a bit of a psychological examination, and it can be a bit slow in pace. It is atmospheric and dialogue-driven, so don't expect much in the way of action or loud drama. It's a show about the human mind itself, and one's enjoyment of the series may depend upon their own willingness to introspect. I think it is brilliant, but not everyone will agree. The video above can give you a more specific impression, though keep in mind that trailers are often embellishments (and often for the worse).
I first heard about the show in reference to it supposedly using The Stanley Parable as a source of inspiration/influence. I asked my father about it and he didn't seem to agree / like the show. But, perhaps I'll give the show a binge watch before the game begins. IRL I am basically compulsively self-reflective, so the point here about introspection intrigues me.

Separately, always willing to join a JJJ job /in
A.K.A. "That One Idiot"
MartinGG99 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:40 am The only notable "solving" I've done publicly has managed to kill someone who had the same power role and alignment as me.

If that doesn't make a mockery of my confidence in my solving then I don't know what will.
Town Wins (on TS)
ImageImageImageImage
Mafia Wins (on TS)
None lol
Other/3P Wins (on TS)
None lol
Hosted Games (on TS)
ImageImage
Neat Quote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:54 pm Competition is only impressive when it is kind.
WindwardAway
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: she/her, any

Post by WindwardAway »

Haven't seen the show, but sign me up!
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Same-same!
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I can trust a JJJ weird-ass setup.

Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

I still really need to watch this show! Everything I've heard about it (mostly from you Jay) seems very up my alley.

Also, nothing like a good ol experimental Jay game to suck me back into playing, I'm in
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Additional game details to help people make an informed choice about signing up:

~This will not be a bastard game, at least as I define that term. By that I mean: I will not lie to the players as a host, I will not give them tasks that serve no purpose, and I will not include game-ending roles that could never fairly be anticipated. If you define "bastard" to mean merely "unusual" or "non-standard", it will be those things.

~ Ideally, I would love to have a large number of players in this game. With that in mind, however: players should not expect this game to last a very long time. It is unlikely to reach a Day 10 or more, for example, even if there are 30+ participants.

~ The non-standard features are predominantly mechanical, and they tie directly to the source material (the show "Severance"). Their purpose is primarily immersion with the theme, which is always what I most desire when I design a Mafia game beyond any ordinary level of complexity.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

nutella wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:48 am I still really need to watch this show! Everything I've heard about it (mostly from you Jay) seems very up my alley.

Also, nothing like a good ol experimental Jay game to suck me back into playing, I'm in
pls watch

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

DarlingMonroe
Corrupt Union Official

Post by DarlingMonroe »

Looking forward to this. :)
summer comes, winter goes; spring, I skip... God knows...
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I am stirring pure Mafia madness into my cauldron of game design witchcraft. I am cackling maniacally as light bulbs flicker in my mind. Let us hope I don't forget everything when I enter the elevator.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:53 pm I am stirring pure Mafia madness into my cauldron of game design witchcraft. I am cackling maniacally as light bulbs flicker in my mind. Let us hope I don't forget everything when I enter the elevator.
You’re a madman

Who’s to say I haven’t already played this game in another memory universe?

(I still haven’t seen the show I hope I’m not inadvertently spoiling anything)

Ranmilia
Corrupt Union Official
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/they

Post by Ranmilia »

MartinGG99
Racketeer
They/them

Post by MartinGG99 »

MartinGG99 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:58 pm
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:10 pm It's a bit of a psychological examination, and it can be a bit slow in pace. It is atmospheric and dialogue-driven, so don't expect much in the way of action or loud drama. It's a show about the human mind itself, and one's enjoyment of the series may depend upon their own willingness to introspect. I think it is brilliant, but not everyone will agree. The video above can give you a more specific impression, though keep in mind that trailers are often embellishments (and often for the worse).
I first heard about the show in reference to it supposedly using The Stanley Parable as a source of inspiration/influence. I asked my father about it and he didn't seem to agree / like the show. But, perhaps I'll give the show a binge watch before the game begins. IRL I am basically compulsively self-reflective, so the point here about introspection intrigues me.

Separately, always willing to join a JJJ job /in
I didn't expect this to fill so quick (it currently is at the minimum of 16 after only a week in signups), if the game is going to start soon then I would greatly appreciate it starting on the 13th or after if at all possible. I could work with it being sooner, but I expect my participation to be quite low on average till then.

If its not going to start that soon, maybe we should have a specific start date listed since the player-count seems variable outside of the minimum?
A.K.A. "That One Idiot"
MartinGG99 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:40 am The only notable "solving" I've done publicly has managed to kill someone who had the same power role and alignment as me.

If that doesn't make a mockery of my confidence in my solving then I don't know what will.
Town Wins (on TS)
ImageImageImageImage
Mafia Wins (on TS)
None lol
Other/3P Wins (on TS)
None lol
Hosted Games (on TS)
ImageImage
Neat Quote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:54 pm Competition is only impressive when it is kind.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm going to give this a little more time. I'd prefer to do a lot better than 16 if I can.

The start date can only be tentative at this point, but I will aim for Monday the 13th (or so).

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm definitely glad to see the early enthusiasm for the game!

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Lime Coke
Hitman
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Aka: BradLand

Post by Lime Coke »

Playerlist is actually kinda hype.
Image Image ImageImageImageImage ImageImage
Lime Coke
Hitman
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Aka: BradLand

Post by Lime Coke »

If this hits like mid week (Like Wednesday-Friday) and I'm alive I'm calling for a bit of a slank cover.
Image Image ImageImageImageImage ImageImage
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Lime Coke wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:39 pm If this hits like mid week (Like Wednesday-Friday) and I'm alive I'm calling for a bit of a slank cover.
Denied!
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

Long Con wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:50 pm
Lime Coke wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:39 pm If this hits like mid week (Like Wednesday-Friday) and I'm alive I'm calling for a bit of a slank cover.
Denied!
If Lime Coke dies N1, it was Long Con

tutuu
Capo Regime (Street Boss)

Post by tutuu »

I love the show, I just dreamt a really cool lucid dream about it (that I was severed not once but twice). I was devastated that there was no season 2.

in
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Scotty wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:30 am
Long Con wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:50 pm
Denied!
If Lime Coke dies N1, it was Long Con
If I want him gone, I will do it in broad daylight. :feb:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

We have 18. This is excellent. We like this.

But can we get 20? 24? Spread the word.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

DarlingMonroe
Corrupt Union Official

Post by DarlingMonroe »

Any updates? Are there really 27 players already?

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

DarlingMonroe wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:37 pm Any updates? Are there really 27 players already?
No, that's the total votes. The game has 19 players in so far.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
tutuu
Capo Regime (Street Boss)

Post by tutuu »

DarlingMonroe wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:37 pm Any updates? Are there really 27 players already?

Don't worry about it, Darling! We have deadlines to chase, so go back to work!

Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Hope you get a few more players. I would love to play a good old-fashioned large game.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

We have Dubz, so make it 20. I'd love to get to 27. A man can dream. Inception.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Roxy and falcon are currently playing Guitar Mafia, maybe after it's done they'll consider it.
JaggedJimmyJay

Re: Severance [20 / 27]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'd be stoked to have them!

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Gira
Drug Dealer

Re: Severance [20 / 27]

Post by Gira »

will there be a music dance experience? either way, i'm in
JaggedJimmyJay

Re: Severance [21 / 27]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Gira wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:19 pm will there be a music dance experience? either way, i'm in
Maybe I can find a way.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

27 would be a really nice number for this, so I am making a final push and sending invitations to some of the best folks. Everyone should feel free to invite their friends too.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

I do love me a JaggedJimmyJay job. In.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

Will need a new avatar
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

nice
JaggedJimmyJay

Re: Severance [24 / 27]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Excellent. Very good. Pleased.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Three more and I'll lock us in.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Imagine where human civilization will be tomorrow if three of our five maybes move to yes.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

pyxxy
Racketeer
Preferred Pronouns: he or they

Post by pyxxy »

alright fine
robyn
screaming
Preferred Pronouns: they/them

Post by robyn »

pyxxy wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:00 amalright fine
huzzah, another twink
JaggedJimmyJay

Re: Severance [26 / 27]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

26 is fantastic. You're all very much appreciated. This number will work if it needs to. If we get that last for 27, even better. Regardless, we'll plan to start this thing Monday evening, Pacific Standard Time. I understand this might be a bit late for east coasters and especially Europeans. Unfortunately my job makes it a necessity. I'm thinking 7pm PST. Stay tuned.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Re: Severance [27 / 28]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

We have 27. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

sneakily changes max to 28 in case anyone else feels like it, you're all still welcome

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

MartinGG99
Racketeer
They/them

Post by MartinGG99 »

Really really sorry about this, but I actually have to /out in the last moment. Past IRL week/weekend (honestly, my semester in general) has made me realize I need to seek comprehensive help on something I've been avoiding help on for in recent years, so I need to focus on that without the stress (or procrastination) of a big game. Even if that game would be very fun. I don't want to leave on a negative note so....good luck to everyone, and I hope you all have fun! And thanks JJJ for...uh...being cool and hosting for all these people I guess.
A.K.A. "That One Idiot"

Town Wins (on TS)
ImageImageImageImage
Mafia Wins (on TS)
None lol
Other/3P Wins (on TS)
None lol
Hosted Games (on TS)
ImageImage
Neat Quote:
tedxtr
:wiz:
Location: some place where people retire from normals (maybe)
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by tedxtr »

in

hardcore chill cover
ImageImageImageImage
tedxtr
:wiz:
Location: some place where people retire from normals (maybe)
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by tedxtr »

hoping everything will turn out fine for you martin
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MartinGG99 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:58 am Really really sorry about this, but I actually have to /out in the last moment. Past IRL week/weekend (honestly, my semester in general) has made me realize I need to seek comprehensive help on something I've been avoiding help on for in recent years, so I need to focus on that without the stress (or procrastination) of a big game. Even if that game would be very fun. I don't want to leave on a negative note so....good luck to everyone, and I hope you all have fun! And thanks JJJ for...uh...being cool and hosting for all these people I guess.
Sounds to me like you’ve made the right choice. Take care!

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

DarlingMonroe
Corrupt Union Official

Post by DarlingMonroe »

OMG excited for this....

Can't wait for my debut

Return to “Previous Job Sign-Ups”