2023 Music Year in Review

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

2023 Music Year in Review

Post by nutella »

I've been putting together this crazy list for a thread on MU for favorite albums of the year and thought I'd share it here too. I invite others to recommend your favorite 2023 albums!

I hate ranking so just have a complete log of every 2023 album I have listened to (now up to something like 180), sorted into broad tiers, with short writeups for just the top few -- scroll to the bottom if you only care about that lol. I made a big push in listening in the last few weeks and got several recs from seeing other people's year end lists lol so this got quite long, but those that were already favorites held the top pretty steady.
Alphabetical within tiers because ranking is too hard (except in the smaller intermission segments). Genre tags mostly adapted from RYM.

?-Tier - Either meh, not really my thing; or, I apparently listened to these at some point but they didn't make much of an impression (border between this and C Tier is pretty fuzzy/overlapping tbh):
Arbor Labor Union - Yonder (post-punk)
Being Dead - When Horses Would Run (surf punk)
Belle and Sebastian - Late Developers (indie pop)
The Chemical Brothers - For That Beautiful Feeling (progressive house)
Circa Waves - Never Going Under (indie rock)
Daniel Pioro - Saint Boy (classical/chamber music)
Danny Arakaki - Tumble in Shade (art rock)
Delmer Darion - Tall Vision-of-the-Voyage (art pop)
George Clanton - Ooh Rap I Ya (chillwave/trip hop)
Giant Swan - Fantasy Food (techno)
Guided by Voices - La La Land (indie rock)
Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good! (disco pop)
John Cale - Mercy (art pop)
July Talk - Remember Never Before (alt rock)
Jute Gyte - Undus mundus patet (avant-garde black metal)
Katie Von Schleicher - A Little Touch of Schleicher in the Night (indie pop/singer-songwriter)
Khai Dreams - Absolute Heartbreak (bedroom pop)
Lana Del Rey - Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd (art pop/singer-songwriter)
Meagre Martin - Gut Punch (indie rock)
Mentalt Syk - The Death of Cupid (slowcore/ambient)
Oliver Coates - Aftersun (dark ambient/film score)
Radiator Hospital - Can't Make Any Promises (indie pop)
Riverside - ID.Entity (prog rock)
Sincere Engineer - Cheap Grills (emo)
Space Camp - Gold Star (noise rock/art punk)
Thanks! I Hate It - Lovers Lane (emo)

C Tier - Enjoyed listening well enough but unlikely to revisit much if at all:
100 gecs - 10,000 gecs (hyperpop)
AJJ - Disposable Everything (folk punk)
Animal Collective - Isn't It Now? (psychedelic pop)
bar italia - Tracey Denim (slacker rock/post-punk)
bar italia - The Twits (slacker rock/post-punk)
Bayonne - Temporary Time (indietronica)
billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps (hip hop)
Blank Banshee - 4D (IDM/vaportrap)
Bocce - Good for You (indie rock)
Celia - Complete In Box (indie pop/singer-songwriter)
Covet - Catharsis (math rock)
Duster - Remote Echoes (slowcore/slacker rock)
Fever Ray - Radical Romantics (art pop)
Frog Concert - Slumbering Sounds of the Frog Fellowship (comfy synth)
Frost Children - SPEED RUN (hyperpop)
Frost Children - Hearth Room (indie rock/emo pop)
The Go! Team - Get Up Sequences Part Two (psychedelic pop)
HMLTD - The Worm (art rock/avant-prog)
Jonah Yano - portrait of a dog (jazz pop/neo-soul)
JPEGMAFIA & Danny Brown - SCARING THE HOES (experimental hip hop)
Kara Jackson - Why Does the Earth Give Us People to Love? (chamber folk/singer-songwriter)
Kelela - Raven (alternative R&B)
Kesha - Gag Order (art pop)
Julie Byrne - The Greater Wings (chamber folk/singer-songwriter)
L'Rain - I Killed Your Dog (neo-psych-soul)
Magazine Beach - Constant Springtime (midwest emo/pop punk)
Metaroom - OXIDIZED ARCHIVE (IDM)
The Murder Capital - Gigi's Recovery (post-punk)
Ohzora Kimishima - Eitai suru kemuri (indie pop)
The Orb - Prism (ambient dub)
Panopticon - The Rime of Memory (post-black metal)
Patricia Taxxon - TECHDOG 1-7 (yes it's seven albums that get progressively longer and it's like 12 hours total so i probably haven't actually finished at time of posting this lol but i know it gets ridiculously long as the last few develop from fast beep boop to slow ambient drone) (some of it is really gorgeous so far i do recommend actually) (idm/glitch/ambient)
Peter Gabriel - i/o (art pop)
Prewn - Through the Window (indie rock)
Reverend Kristin Michael Hayter - SAVED! (gospel horror/avant folk)
Rozi Plain - Prize (chamber pop)
Sadness / Forgotten - while you're still (blackgaze)
Sadness / Jymeria - Secret Green (shoegaze)
Sampha - Lahai (neo-soul)
Saya Gray - QWERTY (art pop/glitch pop)
shame - Food for Worms (post-punk)
Slaughter Beach, Dog - Crying, Laughing, Waving, Smiling (alt-country/folk rock)
Snooper - Super Snõõper (egg punk)
Son Lux - Alternate Forms (art pop)
Sparklehorse - Bird Machine (indie pop/folktronica/slowcore)
Spectral Lore - 11 Days (atmospheric black metal)
SPELLLING - SPELLLING & The Mystery School (art pop)
Sprain - The Lamb as Effigy (noise rock/post-hardcore/experimental post-rock)
Subsonic Eye - All Around You (indie rock/dream pop)
Swans - The Beggar (experimental/post-whatever/michael gira is making some sounds and maybe also dying idk)
Tanukichan - GIZMO (shoegaze/dream pop)
Tinariwen - Amatssou (tishoumaren)
We Are Scientists - Lobes (indie pop)
World's End Girlfriend - Resistance & the Blessing (experimental/glitch/post-rock)
Xiu Xiu - Ignore Grief (death industrial/darkwave)
Youth Lagoon - Heaven Is a Junkyard (dream pop)

- Intermission - EPs! Putting all the EPs in their own list (though several of the "albums" are basically EP-length -- I mostly went by how RYM and/or Spotify labeled them though they sometimes disagreed), ranking according to the album tiers:
Cosmo Sheldrake - Wild Wet World (ambient/field recording) (?-Tier)
Blackbird Raum - Come Into Your Power (folk punk) (?-Tier)
Tiny Voices - Make Up Your Place (midwest emo) (?-Tier)
Sadness - Compilation Four (shoegaze) (C Tier)
Trhä - av◊ëlajnt◊ë£ hinnem nihre (atmospheric black metal) (C Tier)
Jim Nopédie - Keep It Rolling (folktronica) (C Tier)
Tyler, The Creator - The Estate Sale (hip hop) (I assume this basically counts as an EP anyway) (C Tier)
hemlocke springs - going...going...GONE! (bedroom pop) (C Tier)
boygenius - the rest (indie rock) (C Tier)
Beach House - Become (dream pop) (B Tier)
Fortress Of The Pearl - Agony and Ecstasy (atmospheric black metal) (B tier)
Geese - 4D Country (art rock) (B Tier)
Manchester Orchestra - The Valley of Vision (art rock) (B Tier)
Tapir! - Act 2 (Their God) (indie folk) (B Tier)
Maruja - Knocknarea (art punk/jazz rock) (A Tier)
Adjy - June Songs Vol. 1 (art rock/baroque emo folk pop? idk how to describe) (A+ Tier, huge favorite)
--And as a bonus, I'm not tracking singles otherwise but just going to shout out the two new songs by Everything Everything since they're my current favorite band/most listened of the year. Cold Reactor and The Mad Stone are both bangers (I even got to experience one of the first few live performances of Cold Reactor before it was released!) and I'm very much looking forward to the 2024 album Mountainhead.

B Tier/General These Albums Are Good Tier -- Either likely intend to revisit or have revisited already; albums that made a strong impression/that I enjoyed which is most things lol. Aka I'm lazy and rate the majority of albums I listen to 3.5 stars so I'm just dumping a ton of albums here in a huge list without ranking more finely.
@ - Mind Palace Music (psychedelic folk)
Adam Bosarge - Structures Without Rooms (post-minimalism/experimental jazz)
Aesop Rock - Integrated Tech Solutions (hip hop)
André 3000 - New Blue Sun (ambient jazz)
Anita Velveeta - i saw the devil in portland oregon (emo/punk)
Asleep Country - Fake Opulent (sound collage/maximalist dadaism/literally just fucking bizarre)
awakebutstillinbed - Chaos Takes the Wheel and I Am a Passenger (midwest emo)
Beirut - Hadsel (chamber pop)
Blondshell - Blondshell (indie rock)
Brett Naucke - Cast a Double Shadow (ambient)
Bruiser and Bicycle - Holy Red Wagon (freak folk/neo-psychedelia)
The Bug Club - Rare Birds: Hour of Song (power pop/twee indie rock)
Caroline Polachek - Desire, I Want to Turn Into You (art pop)
Cherry Glazerr - I Don't Want You Anymore (grunge/synthpop)
Cicada - Seeking the Sources of Streams (neoclassical/chamber music)
Colin Stetson - When we were that what wept for the sea (post-minimalist jazz)
Darlingside - Everything Is Alive (indie folk)
Do Nothing - Snake Sideways (post-punk/art rock)
feeble little horse - Girl with Fish (indie pop/slacker rock)
Feist - Multitudes (folk pop/art pop/singer-songwriter)
Geese - 3D Country (art punk/alt-country)
Genesis Owusu - Struggler (post-punk/neo-soul)
Hana Stretton - Soon (ambient folk/singer-songwriter)
Hannah Jadagu - Aperture (bedroom pop/dream pop)
Jamila Woods - Water Made Us (neo-soul)
Jane Remover - Census Designated (shoegaze)
John Francis Flynn - Look Over the Wall, See the Sky (prog folk)
J. Wiegold - Norfolk Serpent (chamber folk)
Katie Dey - never falter hero girl (glitch pop/hyperpop)
Kinoteki - Dawn of the Final Hour (breakcore/jungle)
KNOWER - Knower Forever (jazz-funk)
Lanterns on the Lake - Versions of Us (indie rock)
Lauren Bousfield - Salesforce (glitch pop/breakcore)
The Lemon Twigs - Everything Harmony (soft rock/baroque pop/folk rock)
Mandy, Indiana - i've seen a way (post-industrial)
Marina Herlop - Nekkuja (folktronica/art pop)
Meitei - Kofū III (plunderphonics)
Mitski - The Land is Inhospitable and So Are We (indie folk/singer-songwriter)
Model/Actriz - Dogsbody (post-punk)
The Mountain Goats - Jenny From Thebes (indie rock)
Ohzora Kimishima - no public sounds (art pop/glitch pop)
on4word - In Rainbow Roads (vgm/electronic cover)
otay: onii - Dream Hacker (post-industrial/glitch pop/darkwave)
Palehound - Eye on the Bat (indie rock)
Samia - Honey (indie pop)
Slowdive - everything is alive (dream pop)
Slow Pulp - Yard (indie/slacker rock)
Sluice - Radial Gate (indie folk/americana)
Spanish Love Songs - No Joy (midwest emo)
Squid - O Monolith (art rock)
Susanne Sundfør - Blómi (chamber folk/singer-songwriter)
The Veils - ...And Out of the Void Came Love (indie rock)
Violet Cold - Multiverse (blackgaze)
Wednesday - Rat Saw God (indie rock)
yeule - Softscars (glitch pop/indietronica)
Yves Tumor - Praise a Lord Who Chews but Which Does Not Consume; (Or Simply, Hot Between Worlds) (neo-psych/art pop)

-- Intermission 2 - Not new but new to me! Will put this in a spoiler bc it's long and tangential. A few standout favorites out of albums that I heard for the first time this year but that did not come out this year (oops a few turned into kind of a lot but I ended up including most things I gave at least 4 stars on rym) - ranked so the best is for last:
Spoiler: show
Richard Dawson & Circle - Henki (prog folk rock, 2021) (A Tier) - Richard Dawson does it again with the out there lyrics, this time in collaboration with a Finnish psychedelic band on a concept album about the intricate lives of plants across time. After my favorite read of the year, The Overstory, I couldn't not adore this love letter to plant life.

iamthemorning - ~ and Belighted (chamber folk, 2012 and 2014) (A Tier) - This group's sound is unique and beautiful, with gorgeous piano and vocals and stunning builds in intensity.

Asobi Seksu - Citrus (shoegaze/dream pop, 2006) (A Tier) - if you're looking for a cathartically fuzzy wall of sound, look no further, this is transcendent. [EDIT: fooled myself with my RYM history here, I did actually hear this in 2022 but keeping it here bc why not]

Lauren Bousfield - Avalon Vales and Palimpsest (glitch pop, 2013 and 2020) (A Tier) - had a lot of fun with her stuff, shoutout quas

Alexander Panos - Nascent (glitch ambient/folktronica/sound collage, 2022) (A Tier) - just really really gorgeous, hard to explain (Patricia Taxxon can, she sold me on it) but this album was moving to me on like a philosophical level lol.

Aeon Station - Observatory (indie rock, 2021) (A Tier) - This is a seemingly little known solo album by a former member of The Wrens, a band whose work I should perhaps explore but am largely unfamiliar with. But this project is worth attention, drawing comparisons to Arcade Fire back when they ruled the world. Couple of real bangers.

yeule - Serotonin II (glitch pop, 2019) (A Tier) - my favorite of yeule's albums. The run of Pocky Boy - Pretty Bones - Reverie is unmatched.

Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee (indie rock/dream pop, 2021) (A Tier) - This is an artist I should really have gotten into sooner than I did and had just heard songs here and there (and caught her set at Pitchfork Festival in 2022 without being very familiar). I read her memoir Crying In H-Mart, did a deep dive, and am now definitely a fan. This album really is great, and the others are pretty solid too.

Indigo De Souza - Any Shape You Take (indie rock, 2021) (A Tier) - Hmm technically I had heard her before but I think first listened to a whole album in 2023. Real Pain is simply one of the most incredibly cathartic songs ever made. She's fantastic in live performance.

Saintseneca - Pillar of Na (indie folk, 2018) (A Tier) - A band I'd been meaning to get into for a while and they are definitely up my alley. Creatively composed songs with a distinct style.

Little Moon - Unphased (chamber folk, 2020) (A Tier) - gorgeous. The clarinet, the stunning vocal range, the feeling, a true display of talent and style.

Foals - basically their entire discography (indie/math rock) (A Tier) - had heard songs here and there but never really got into them until this year, solidly enjoyed all of their first four albums

Kiltro - Creatures of Habit (indie folk, 2019) (A+ Tier) - really love this and have spun it several times, absolutely addictively fun tunes with great guitar rhythms, great vocals, and a proud tie to Chilean culture. Strong rec.

STOMACH BOOK - STOMACH BOOK (experimental noise pop, 2021) (A+ Tier) - Overwhelmingly well-crafted soundscapes with an emotional arc of lyrical themes, really stunning album.

Slint - Spiderland (post-punk/art rock, 1991) (A+ Tier) - yes, I was quite a bit late to the party on this one. This album's influences are clear in many of my favorites from the last couple decades and is still ever growing, and it holds up to the hype.

Holy Holy - My Own Pool of Light (indie rock, 2019) (A+ Tier) - I was recommended this in an album exchange on the Everything Everything fan Discord server and it perfectly suited my taste. The appeal is such that I am surprised how little known this band is outside Australia. I was instantly hooked and loved every track, going back to listen a second and third time right away. Super catchy, well put together, great basslines and hooks and backing vocals. Strong rec.

Life Without Buildings - Any Other City (post-punk, 2001) (A+ Tier) - Hot damn, I got instantly obsessed with this album. It's truly unlike anything else, although it certainly wears some influences like Talking Heads on its sleeve. This group really dropped this and disappeared but this crazy Scottish woman repeating incoherent phrases over and over to epic drums now lives in my head rent free. The right stuff!

Anathallo - Floating World (art rock/baroque folk pop concept album, 2006) (S Tier) - if I had a nickel for every 5 star concept album based on a Japanese folktale that came out in 2006 by an American indie rock band with lush instrumentation and vocal harmonies and numbered movements named after said folk tale that are out of numerical order in the tracklist, I would have two nickels (the other obviously being The Crane Wife by The Decemberists, a long-standing favorite) -- anyway this is a truly fantastic album that absolutely stuns me at every turn every time I revisit it, criminal that I only got around to it recently.

Adjy - The Idyll Opus (also art rock/baroque folk pop concept album, 2021) (S Tier) - Feels like it's been longer, wild that I only discovered this in January 2023. Instantly became a huge obsession of mine. Everything about it is extremely to my tastes, the unique instrumentation and composition, the bizarrely arcane intricate story and concepts behind the lyrics (cannot overstate this it is truly wild), the nostalgic backwoods emotional valence of it all. Got to see the band live after the followup EP (included above) came out and their energy is unmatched.

---Back to the main event:

A Tier - Very tough to rank but these are real standout albums that solidly impressed me and could be closer to A+ tier, but would have to fight for the remaining couple spots in the top ten:
Asian Glow & sonhos tomam conta - dreamglow (shoegaze/post-hardcore)
Black Belt Eagle Scout - The Land, the Water, the Sky (dream pop)
boygenius - the record (indie rock)
Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loveliest Time (pop)
Chuquimamani-Condori - DJ E (sound collage/andean folk/deconstructed club)
Hozier - Unreal Unearth (indie folk/pop soul)
Indigo De Souza - All of This Will End (indie/slacker rock)
Jeff Rosenstock - HELLMODE (pop punk)
Kiltro - Underbelly (indie folk)
Lankum - False Lankum (avant-folk)
Liturgy - 93696 (avant-garde black metal)
Maria BC - Spike Field (chamber folk)
The National - First Two Pages of Frankenstein (indie rock)
N NAO - L'eau et les rêves (ambient pop)
Olivia Rodrigo - GUTS (pop)
Sufjan Stevens - Javelin (chamber folk)
This Is The Kit - Careful of Your Keepers (chamber folk)
Trhä - alëce iΩic (blackgaze)
Yes Yes A Thousand Times Yes - Supertinyinfinitedans (midwest emo)

A+ tier / personal favorites:

Black Country, New Road - Live At Bush Hall (art rock/baroque pop) - While their new stuff doesn't reach the perfection of Ants From Up There, I just can't not love anything these folks make. They're among the most talented and creative musicians of our time. From the Comus-reminiscent progressive folk of "The Boy" to the incredibly moving interplay of May Kershaw's lilting vocals and the instrumental build on "Turbines/Pigs", this is a collection of lovely material.

Harp - Albion (indie folk) - The former frontman of Midlake, Tim Smith, and his wife have created an album that rather blew me away with beauty. The soft arrangements of flute and other sounds alongside his gentle vocals are the kind of music that feels like coming home.

The National - Laugh Track (indie rock) - I've been a huge fan of the National for like 13 years so the double album drop this year was quite exciting. While I enjoyed FTPOF quite a bit and love plenty of its songs, it still sort of paled in comparison to their best material, but this one brought them back big time. "Space Invader" is one of the best tracks made this year, that shoegazey section with the thundering build of Bryan's drums just rules so hard.

Parannoul - After the Magic (shoegaze) - Just beautiful. Music that makes me ascend from the mortal plane.

underscores - Wallsocket (hyperpop) - You gotta do it gotta do it gotta do it like me! Girls like us are rotten to the core! Banger after banger with a compelling story/cast of characters.

Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy (experimental art pop/neo-psych-soul) - This is one of those albums that comes along and just knocks you out of the water with its production, catchy rhythms, and cutting-edge uniqueness. The blend of genre and cultural influences on this record all comes together in a fun work of art.

S Tier, #1 Favorite, AOTY:

Home is Where - the whaler (5th wave emo) - this has gotten plenty of love in MU circles but elsewhere I rarely see it mentioned at all, an overlooked gem. Despite not having been much into emo music overall in the past (though I've enjoyed much of the midwest and "5th wave" I've heard), this one really really connected with me and is simply a work of art. It's got musically complex construction on the micro and macro levels. It's got the seamless loop to symbolically represent cyclical narrative. It's got the American fixation on 9/11 as a watershed moment of collective trauma. It's got the feeling of being roadkill on an Appalachian highway. It's got the strange but moving lyrics about life, death, weddings, racecar drivers, doing nothing, trans women being more powerful than god, and yes, hunting whales. It's got absurd, uncomfortable, and simply gross bodily metaphors relating to the transgender experience. It's got themes of cyclical tragedy and collective numbness but with a kernel of hope. It's got gorgeous instrumental bridges, catchy guitar licks, expressive and intense and varied vocals. Every detail of this album has embedded in my mind, and so this stands out above all my other abovementioned 2023 listening experiences.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Long Con
So Divine
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Re: 2023 Music Year in Review

Post by Long Con »

I like the couple of songs I've heard from The National!
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Post by Ricochet »

I have no solid year-end list whatsoever and have chilled out of attempting one - part despondency at my own (for-some-time-now) apathy, inconsistent focus and lack of elevated pulse at most of what I'm hearing; part semi-objective feeling that the year has been rather lackluster. I revisited my 2022 chart and would honestly stand by my first 15-20 picks with genuine enthusiasm.

GTH top 3, probably:
Michael Pisaro-Liu - A Room Outside (performers: Guy Vandromme, Luciana Elizondo, Adrian Severins, Fabio Gionfrida)
billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps
L'Rain - I Killed Your Dog

The rest of my top tier, in no definitive order:
HMTLD - The Worm
Darcy James Argue's Secret Society - Dynamic Maximum Tension
KMRU - glim
Noname - Sundial
Armand Hammer - We Buy Diabetic Test Strips
Graham Lambkin & James Rushford - Gondolas
Model-Actriz - Dogsbody
Kara Jackson - Why Does the Earth Give Us People to Love
Liv.e - Girl in the Half Pearl
Jessie War - That! Feels Good!
PJ Harvey - I Inside the Old Year Dying
Susanne Sundfør - Blómi

That's 15.
Meh.
Long Con
So Divine
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

I am considering making a Spotify playlist of all the songs in this thread. I haven't heard of >95% of these bands.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 1

Post by S~V~S »

Oh this is awesome!

I love your taste in music, so I will be exploring this list for sure!
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Cape90
Money Launderer
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his/himself

Post by Cape90 »

You know what I am bored, will also make a tier list of the albums I listened to in 2023. Definitely not just doing what nutella basically did at all, totally unique. Oh and some write ups near the bottom for my favorite albums if you want to see them LOL

F tier (albums that I generally disliked):

Waterparks - INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
Skrillex - Don't Get Too Close
Dominic Fike - Sunburn
glaive - i care so much that i dont care at all
lostrushi - SISTERHOOD
Sleaford Mods - UK GRIM
Dear Sherlock - Object of Ridicule
The National - First Two Pages of Frankenstein
Ralphie Choo - SUPERNOVA
Fearing - Destroyer
World's End Girlfriend - Resistance & The Blessing
2nd In Command - RAINBOW ROAD II
Sigur Rós - ÁTTA
Spine - Ra​í​ces
Qwil - axeinmyface
Zayok - from zay with love*

D tier (albums that do not do anything for me or I have mixed feelings about):

Post Malone - AUSTIN
Muhsighyuh - But, I Couldn't Put My Faith In You
Bombay Bicycle Club - My Big Day
Anger MGMT. - Anger Is Energy
Stuck - Freak Frequency
RealYungPhil - Victory Music
Holding Absence - The Noble Art of Self Destruction
Sugar Cherry - Isn't It Wonderful
Codefendants - This Is Crime Wave
Doc Backer - Salt
Dirty Honey - Can't Find The Brakes
Yeat - AftërLyfe
PAS TASTA - GOOD POP
Jon Guerra - Ordinary Ways
André 3000 - New Blue Sun
KAYTRAMINÉ - KAYTRAMINÉ
Grian Chatten - Chaos For The Fly
Slow J - Afro Fado
Wave To Earth - 0.1 flaws and all.
Leatherette - Small Talk
Nicole Dollanganger - Married in Mount Airy
Kimbra - A Reckoning
H Hawkline - Milk for Flowers
HMLTD - The Worm
JFDR - Museum
fromjoy - fromjoy
death's dynamic shroud - After Angel
Lil Uzi Vert - Pink Tape
Corefish - KITE
IX FALL$ - PIXIEDUST003
quannnic - Stepdream
SILICA GEL - Power Andre 99
La Fève - 24
Gorillaz - Cracker Island
EU.CLIDES - DECLIVE
Wednesday - Rat Saw God
Natalie Rose Lebrecht - Holy Prana Open Game
Slayyyter - STARHECKER
Kelly Moonstone - I Digress…
The Scary Jokes - Retinal Bloom
The Mountain Goats - Jenny from Thebes
WillyRodriguezWasTaken - wetdream
Fever Ray - Radical Romantics
Aly & AJ - With Love From
The St Pierre Snake Invasion - Galore
Nanna - How to Start a Garden
This Is The Glasshouse - As Small As Ants
Be Your Own Pet - Mommy
Puma Blue - Holy Waters
Corinne Bailey Rae - Black Rainbows
Superchromatic - ASTRAL TALK

C Tier (I sort of liked these albums):

ALL HANDS_MAKE LIGHT - "Darling The Dawn"
Loopcinema - loopcinema
Julie Byrne - The Greater Wings
CHIKA - SAMSON: THE ALBUM
Ștefan Costea - SUMMERTIME MADNESS
Blank Banshee - 4D
Victoria Monét - JAGUAR II
Quare - Paris
Miss Grit - Follow the Cyborg
Temps - Party Gator Purgatory
Portraits Of Tracy - Drive Home
BBY GOYARD & DJ Smokey - LORESEEKER
The Murder Capital - Gigi's Recovery
Jane Remover - Census Designated
Lael Neale - Star Eaters Delight
JELEEL! - REAL RAW!
Thantifaxath - Hive Mind Narcosis
Paris Texas - MID AIR
Oxbow - Love's Holiday
Cleo Sol - Gold
Wings Of Desire - Life Is Infinite
Screaming Females - Desire Pathway
Zulu - A New Tomorrow
The Chemical Brothers - For That Beautiful Feeling
yeule - softscars
Filth Is Eternal - Find Out
Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex
Maria BC - Spike Field
RAYE - My 21st Century Blues
Bruiser & Bicycle - Holy Red Wagon
Buggin - Concrete Cowboys
SPELLLING - SPELLLING & The Mystery School
CHAI - CHAI
shame - Food for Worms
Avalon Emerson - & The Charm
Youth Lagoon - Heaven Is a Junkyard
Luiza Lian - 7 Estrelas | quem arrancou o céu?
Nas - Magic 3
Doc Backer - Little Wings
Susanne Sundfør - blómi
Maya Ongaku = Approach to Anima
Christine and the Queens - PARANOÏA, ANGELS, TRUE LOVE
Loma Prieta - Last
Noname - Sundial
ISOxo - kidsgonemad!
Sofia Kourtesis - Madres
Mon Laferte - Autopoiética
Kassi Valazza - Kassi Valazza Knows Nothing
Teezo Touchdown - How Do You Sleep At Night?
Laufey - Bewitched
A. Savage - Several Songs About Fire
Kasia Lins - OMEN
The Go! Team - Get Up Sequences Part Two
Kelela - Raven
MARO - hortelã
Kaizo Slumber - How Are We Feeling Today?
Alfa Mist - Variables
Indigo De Souza - All of This Will End
DJ RaMeMes (O DESTRUIDOR DO FUNK) - Sem Limites
KNOWER - KNOWER FOREVER
Protomartyr - Formal Growth in the Desert
Travis Scott - UTOPIA
The National - Laugh Track

B Tier (albums I mostly enjoyed):

Say She She - Silver
Queens of the Stone Age - In Times New Roman...
Hozier - Unreal Unearth
House Of Harm - Playground
Yazmin Lacey - Voice Notes
Tkay Maidza - Sweet Justice
Depeche Mode - Memento Mori
boygenius - the record
Frost Children - SPEED RUN
Mateus Fazeno Rock - Jesus Ñ Voltará
Q - Soul,PRESENT
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Domination
PJ Harvey - I Inside the Old Year Dying
leroy - Grave Robbing
bl4ck m4rket c4rt - Today I Laid Down
Asia Menor - Enola Gay
Oneohtrix Point Never - Again
Jamila Woods - Water Made Us
Invent Animate - Heavener
The HIRS Collective - We're Still Here
Baby Rose - Through and Through
Kassa Overall - Animals
Water From Your Eyes - Everyone's Crushed
Carly Rae Jepsen - The Loveliest Time
FBC - O AMOR, O PERDÃO E A TECNOLOGIA IRÃO NOS LEVAR PARA OUTRO PLANETA
Mick Jenkins - The Patience
Superchromatic - Shimmer
Frost Children - Hearth Room
Skrillex - Quest For Fire
Key Glock - Glockoma 2
Kali Uchis - Red Moon In Venus
Godcaster - Godcaster
MSPAINT - Post-American
Yves Tumor - Praise A Lord Who Chews But Which Does Not Consume; (Or Simply, Hot Between Worlds)
Killer Mike - MICHAEL
Home Is Where - the whaler
Elza Soares - No tempo da intolerância
Blu & Real Bad Man - Bad News
Alan Palomo - World of Hassle
MIKE - Burning Desire
Ciśnienie - Zwierzakom
Paramore - This Is Why
Celestaphone - Paper Cut from the Obit
Dispirited Spirits - The Redshift Blues
Tim Hecker - No Highs
Colin Stetson - When we were that what wept for the sea
Rory - I Thought It'd Be Different
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Weathervanes
George Clanton - Ooh Rap I Ya
Juan Berdugo - Bloom
Spiritual Cramp - Spiritual Cramp
PinkPantheress - Heaven knows
Blockhead - The Aux
Jeongmilla - RiverSide
Plight - Plastic Sun
BrokenTeeth - 추락은 천천히 [How to Sink Slowly]
Kara Jackson - Why Does the Earth Give Us People to Love?
Marina Sena - Vício Inerente
Hannah Jadagu - Aperture
Guvna B - The Village Is On Fire
D2x - Hotel 1105
Zach Bryan - Zach Bryan
Olivia Rodrigo - GUTS
Blonde Redhead - Sit Down for Dinner
Candelabro - Ahora o Nunca
SCUBADIVER - Double Rainbowland

A tier (albums I think are great):

Lil Yachty - Let's Start Here.
Navy Blue - Ways of Knowing
Kiltro - Underbelly
Tainy - DATA
Sprain - The Lamb as Effigy
Sparklehorse - Bird Machine
Tinashe - BB/ANG3L
what is your name? - My Name Is...
Mitski - The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We
Charles Wesley Godwin - Family Ties
Quedronol - Fioritura
King Krule - Space Heavy
underscores - Wallsocket
Lana Del Rey - Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
Black Country, New Road - Live at Bush Hall
Immaterial Possession - Mercy of the Crane Folk
WITCH - Zango
Swans - The Beggar
Joanna Sternberg - I’ve Got Me
Snõõper - Super Snõõper
Slauson Malone 1 - EXCELSIOR
Frog - Grog
파란노을 [Parannoul] - After the Magic
100 gecs - 10,000 gecs
Nico Paulo - Nico Paulo
凛として時雨 [Ling tosite sigure] - last aurorally
billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps
Kesha - Gag Order
grouptherapy. - i was mature for my age, but i was still a child
Chris Farren - Doom Singer
Aron Andras - The Moment
betcover!! - 馬
Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy
El Michels Affair & Black Thought - Glorious Game
Armand Hammer - We Buy Diabetic Test Strips
Reverend Kristin Michael Hayter - SAVED!
Lonnie Holley - Oh Me Oh My
Nourished By Time - Erotic Probiotic 2
Jeromes Dream - The Gray in Between
Blu-Swing - Spectre
Genesis Owusu - STRUGGLER
Danny Brown - Quaranta
Caroline Polachek - Desire, I Want To Turn Into You
feeble little horse - Girl with Fish
Geese - 3D Country
ANOHNI and the Johnsons - My Back Was A Bridge For You To Cross
Ana Frango Elétrico - Me Chama de Gato Que Eu Sou Sua
Aesop Rock - Integrated Tech Solutions
McKinley Dixon - Beloved! Paradise! Jazz​!​?
Amaarae - Fountain Baby
Porpoise Spit - Don't Quit

S tier: (the truly exceptional albums of 2023):

Sampha - Lahai - Euphoric and beautiful album that has the songwriting to back it up and keep the album engaging.

Liturgy - 93696 - A grand and ambitious black metal album coming from a genre I don't generally look into that much, but the sound is both brutal and angellic. Love some of the riffs on this thing.

Jeff Rosenstock - HELLMODE - Top tier pop punk that manages to talk about both personal and political issues and paint this portrait of Jeff Rosenstock's headspace during the recording of the album while also serving as somewhat of a therapyish session about processing all the chaos that is happening in the modern age and finding some sort of peace in the midst of that.

Sufjan Stevens = Javelin - With a mix of electronic elements and the sort of chamber folk that Sufjan Stevens is known for in his earlier discography, he's back at it with an album dedicated to his late partner that is very lush and gorgeous yet mournful.

JPEGMAFIA & Danny Brown - SCARING THE HOES - Just a very zany, fun, and wild collab album from 2 of the most eccentric voices in hip hop today. The results are very interesting and it was very exciting to see what kind of ideas were going to be thrown into this album.

The Lemon Twigs - Everything Harmony - Yeah the songs on this very retro, soft rock album just kind of ruled my 2023. Like these songs are just insanely catchy and the title delivers, the harmonies on this thing are very nice. Just puts me in a good mood every time.

Model/Actriz - Dogsbody - A danceable but harrowing listen that just is right up my alley. Also sidenote, the way the last track loops into the first track is really cool to me.

AOTY 2023!:

Jessie Ware - That! Feels Good! - This album sounds amazing. I just love every song here with how fun and clean everything sounds. Jessie Ware is passionate on the vocals, each song is very glamorous. Just a ray of sunshine that is full of life.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I see that RYM page of yours, @Cape90. Time to get back into the rating business.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Post by Ricochet »

Capethony 90tano
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Damn that's so many lmao, like everything i listened to plus as many more again
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Cape90
Money Launderer
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his/himself

Post by Cape90 »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:45 am I see that RYM page of yours, @Cape90. Time to get back into the rating business.
Haha, yeah I catalog more on AOTY (Album Of The Year), haven't updated my RYM in forever
nutella wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:57 pm Damn that's so many lmao, like everything i listened to plus as many more again
Yeah I listened to a lot of music, haven't heard everything you had on your list, also kinda skipped a lot of EPs for some reason last year but yeah.
edit: just checked, 255 albums are listed there

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”