Interrogation Room - alexa

Are you new to The Syndicate's mafia crime family? If so, introduce yourself here! For all Syndicateers, this is the place to get to know your fellow family members.

Moderator: Community Team

Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 18

Re: Interrogation Room

Post by Dom »

Ice cream! What's your favorite flavor?
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 129
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

Dom wrote:Ice cream! What's your favorite flavor?
Probably peach! I am big on fruit flavors, but also mild things like green tea or lemon cookie. I don't like heavier flavors like chocolate or caramel.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 140

Post by Epignosis »

What is your favorite board game?
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Epignosis wrote:What is your favorite board game?
Does Battleship count? In 7 years, James has never beat me at it.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
FZ.
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 75

Post by FZ. »

This is a nice way to get to know people. I've been asked to go next, but you people scare me :evileye:

I'm kidding....just don't think I'm that interesting...

So Mongoose, how did you start to play mafia?
How competitive are you?
What's your best and worst traits?
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

FZ. wrote:So Mongoose, how did you start to play mafia?
I started back in May 2013 when Logan/llama recruited me. He probably regrets this now that we are tied!
FZ. wrote:How competitive are you?
I'm not that competitive. I think this is because my non-competitive personality bleeds over. If I get someone in my sights, I'll keep after them the best I can.
FZ. wrote:What's your best and worst traits?
It's probably the same thing and that is wackiness. It helps give me enough heat so I never seemed to get NK'd early on (knock on wood) because I look dead suspicious, but I can't always wriggle out of the hole I've inadvertently fallen down and then I get mislynched now and again.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Lizzy
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 21

Post by Lizzy »

Lizzy wrote: What's your dream holiday q.m.
:evileye:

butt all the other cvestions were provided with satisfactory answers k
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Lizzy wrote:

Sorry! I didn't see it. If I've missed any others, y'all just point them out, okay?

I am DYING to go to Prague. I am obsessed with Art Deco architecture. But I'm easy to please. Anywhere with art, architecture, scenery and food is going to hit high marks with me. I also like walkable cities and Prague seems to fit that bill.

I also want to find the Golem of Prague. I have work for him.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Lizzy
Drug Dealer

Post by Lizzy »

Mongoose wrote:
Lizzy wrote:

Sorry! I didn't see it. If I've missed any others, y'all just point them out, okay?

I am DYING to go to Prague. I am obsessed with Art Deco architecture. But I'm easy to please. Anywhere with art, architecture, scenery and food is going to hit high marks with me. I also like walkable cities and Prague seems to fit that bill.

:O Gah! When I think that I've been so close to Prague and I didn't go there. I know we were supposed to go last year but I can't remember why we ended up not going. :sigh: If you do get there, watch out for the taxis, especially at night k. :eek:
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Lizzy wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
Lizzy wrote:

:O Gah! When I think that I've been so close to Prague and I didn't go there. I know we were supposed to go last year but I can't remember why we ended up not going. :sigh: If you do get there, watch out for the taxis, especially at night k. :eek:
That sounds really crazy. I do not want to die. Thanks, Lizzybean. How close were you, by the way?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Lizzy
Drug Dealer

Post by Lizzy »

Mongoose wrote:
Lizzy wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
Lizzy wrote:

That sounds really crazy. I do not want to die. Thanks, Lizzybean. How close were you, by the way?
300 km when I was in Poland and 200 km when I actually was in the Czech Republic.
Hang on! I've been in Prague, but at the airport. :sigh: Maybe you'll get there before me. :O
FZ.
Racketeer

Post by FZ. »

Mongoose wrote:
FZ. wrote:So Mongoose, how did you start to play mafia?
I started back in May 2013 when Logan/llama recruited me. He probably regrets this now that we are tied!
FZ. wrote:How competitive are you?
I'm not that competitive. I think this is because my non-competitive personality bleeds over. If I get someone in my sights, I'll keep after them the best I can.
FZ. wrote:What's your best and worst traits?
It's probably the same thing and that is wackiness. It helps give me enough heat so I never seemed to get NK'd early on (knock on wood) because I look dead suspicious, but I can't always wriggle out of the hole I've inadvertently fallen down and then I get mislynched now and again.
I meant traits in real life, not game related. But maybe you answered both.

And your list of foreign films looks good. I've seen some, and can recommend others that are not on yours :)
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 184
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

GOOOOOOSSSSEYYY!!!! :D <3 :hug:

1) What should I read?
2) What is your favorite comfort food?
3) What is your favorite way to indulge yourself?
4) What is your favorite way to indulge someone else?
5) Tell me a nice story about when you were young.
6) Tell me about an important lesson you learned.
7) Tell me how you got so awesome.
8) If you could have pocket sized live versions of any 3 people in all of history that you could carry around in your pocket with you, who would you choose and why?
9) Have you ever wanted to own an exotic pet? If so, what kind and why?
10) Is the glass half empty? Half full? Or time for more Vodka?

Not a question, but: Congrats on the new job prospect! That sounds like it was hand wrote for you to hold. I do so hope you get it! I think you would be amazing!!! :)
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

FZ -

Hmm, traits in real life. I make friends really easily so that's a plus. I have friends from every job I'm at that I still keep in touch with, so that's good. I also am a very loyal friend. I am pretty sensible not careless and don't take risks that jeopardize my safety.

Bad traits: Not taking risks means I operated under a bit of fear. Being loyal means it takes too long to kick a toxic friend to the curb. And then having a lot of friends means they might not all be of substance (quantity v. quality and all that)

The story behind the list was that Daisy asked for a list of a Starter Kit for Foreign Cinema, so I have A Woman is a Woman and Breathless on there, but not every Godard or Truffaut film, but indeed help me beef it out. I keep thinking of films that need to go on there and adding them. Like just now, I was lambasting myself for not thinking yet to put Battleship Potemkin, M, and Metropolis on there. :derp:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Working on yours now, bea!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

bea wrote:GOOOOOOSSSSEYYY!!!! :D <3 :hug:
1) What should I read?
My favorite book of the year was Where'd You Go, Bernadette? I liked it because I like authors like Gary Shytengart and Jonathan Franzen. I also liked the new JW Rowling book The Casual Vacancy. It was gritty but quite solid. I would read the Henrietta Lacks book if you like non-fiction - it's very thorough. Drinking at the Movies was an excellent little graphic novel I read this year, and I also enjoyed the newest David Sedaris offering: Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls.
bea wrote:2) What is your favorite comfort food?
My stepmother makes a devilish red velvet cake. I usually will opt for some sort of potato. Fries are good, but I prefer hashbrowns, especially those from Waffle House. I don't go there often, so that is my ultimate treat.
bea wrote:3) What is your favorite way to indulge yourself?

Go to yoga, take a bubble bath, lie in bed and watch a film, and maybe savor a parfait.
bea wrote:4) What is your favorite way to indulge someone else?
Make them some homemade bread and jam and listen. Folks gotta get better about listening (and paying attention) and I try to make up for that deficit in a world of gadgets and gizmos.
bea wrote:5) Tell me a nice story about when you were young.
I was a dinosaur freak when I was young. If I was a prodigy in anything, it was that. So my grandma drove me down to Tampa since the museum was having a travelling dinosaur exhibit. I was 5 or so. We went into a small auditorium where a man was talking about the age of the dinosaurs and he had all these models out in front of him and asked if anyone could name some. Well I raised my hand and apparently proceeded to name like all 80 dinosaurs he had out. (If only Youtube had been around then). The museum people were so impressed that they gave me a 3D hologram cat earring box that I still have. I remember people clapping for me and me being perplexed. "What?" I asked my grandma. "Can't everyone do that?"
bea wrote:6) Tell me about an important lesson you learned.
When I was a preteen (I refuse to use the word "tween"), I ran a local indie kids newspaper that my grandparents published for me. We only took donations, which covered our costs. All the kids worked for free. I was Editor-in-chief, but we had reporters, photographers, and a paperboy. I was about 11 when this occurred. I had written a story on water waste in the city. Up the road, water had been pouring out of a pipe for 3 days and no one had been to fix it. I wrote up my story, and assigned our photojournalist (lol) to go take a photo. What he brought me back was completely unusable (and he was asked to resign shortly thereafter).

Well, if you want something done right, you do it yourself, so I climbed aboard my black BMX (this was 1993) and rode my own butt down to the end of the road to take some shots. When the film was developed, I noticed a red pickup truck in the driveway, so I redacted the license tag and put the issue to bed. I thought nothing of it. I didn't think I was up for the Peabody or anything, but I kinda knew this was pretty good for an 11-year-old.

This issue got into the hands of the publisher of the town's real paper and they ran my article, including the photo. It was a big moment for me, and I used up to this part of the story in cover letters when I was applying for journalism internships back in college. But here's where it gets tricky.

Remember that red truck? Well apparently that was the visiting lover of the woman who lived in that house. The husband had known they had had an affair previously, but she had sworn to him that it was over and done with, but when the husband saw my photo in the paper with the lover's red pickup in their driveway, he knew she was fibbing and they ended up getting divorced. Because of my article. Talk about traumatizing!

I actually don't know what the moral of that story is but there's probably at least one in there.
bea wrote:7) Tell me how you got so awesome.
Ooh, thanks. We are all constant gardeners, ya know. I think it's being able to live with your faults each day, because I can't just magically make my legs skinnier or me be less stubborn on one day. But I can do a little something each day to help toward those goals. I'm a big picture person, so I guess that helps. I don't take myself too seriously.
bea wrote:8) If you could have pocket sized live versions of any 3 people in all of history that you could carry around in your pocket with you, who would you choose and why?
I would love a mini Logan to have, kinda like my own Indian in the Cupboard. When he got boring with politics, I would just go *plop* and tuck him into my pocket with a cube of cheese. Then when I needed him to help me decide which opera I should see, or which bear is best, or how to deal with the newest library creeper, I'd pull him back out for duty.

I'd also bring back Kurt Cobain because I don't know how I am going to live the rest of my life without another Nirvana album. I get really depressed about it. Finally, I'd pick Orson Welles, another dude who has achieved greatness at a young age. I'd have to keep an eye on that situation and maybe separate them though, so O&K didn't turn poor L into a megalomaniac, porcine, suicidal alcoholic.
bea wrote:9) Have you ever wanted to own an exotic pet? If so, what kind and why?
If a bunny counts, than yes. I've never really wanted something exotic because everything I seemed interested in otherwise (ferrets, sugar gliders, etc) all seemed nocturnal and I'm a light sleeper so I know they'd keep me up. Ain't nobody got time for that!
bea wrote:10) Is the glass half empty? Half full? Or time for more Vodka?
I always thought of myself as an optimist but the last few years of employment woes have nearly beat it out of me. I am feeling a bit more optimistic this year though, so I think there's hope for me yet.
bea wrote:Not a question, but: Congrats on the new job prospect! That sounds like it was hand wrote for you to hold. I do so hope you get it! I think you would be amazing!!! :)
Thanks, bea! I will keep you posted!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 132

Post by thellama73 »

bea wrote: 1) What should I read?
I've heard good things about this.
Mongoose wrote: I actually don't know what the moral of that story is but there's probably at least one in there.
I think the moral is "Don't cheat on your partner. You will get caught."
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
FZ.
Racketeer

Post by FZ. »

Mongoose wrote:FZ -

Hmm, traits in real life. I make friends really easily so that's a plus. I have friends from every job I'm at that I still keep in touch with, so that's good. I also am a very loyal friend. I am pretty sensible not careless and don't take risks that jeopardize my safety.

Bad traits: Not taking risks means I operated under a bit of fear. Being loyal means it takes too long to kick a toxic friend to the curb. And then having a lot of friends means they might not all be of substance (quantity v. quality and all that)

The story behind the list was that Daisy asked for a list of a Starter Kit for Foreign Cinema, so I have A Woman is a Woman and Breathless on there, but not every Godard or Truffaut film, but indeed help me beef it out. I keep thinking of films that need to go on there and adding them. Like just now, I was lambasting myself for not thinking yet to put Battleship Potemkin, M, and Metropolis on there. :derp:
Thanks for answering :) I think we share some traits...
As for the list, I took the liberty of adding some films. Feel free to take anyone off. It's your list after all :D It's down below
Mongoose wrote:
Spacedaisy wrote:What is that list of starter foreign films we discussed?

What is the slogan of your dentist? (Because I thought it was hysterical...)
Disclaimer: This is not a comprehensive list. This is where a future aficionado of foreign films might begin.

Australia
Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Muriel's Wedding
Rabbit-Proof Fence
Lantana
Jindabyne

Japan (focus on Ozu and Kurosawa)
Rashoman
Yojimbo and its sequel Sanjuro
Seven Samurai
Record of a Tenement Gentleman
Tokyo Story

France (Focus on New Wave Godfathers Truffaut and Godard)
Breathless
A Woman is a Woman
Umbrellas of Cherbourg
400 Blows
The Last Metro
Cache
Amelie
Joyeux Noel
Shoah
Jules and Jim

Bosnia
No Man's Land

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland
After the Wedding
Reprise
Let the Right One In
Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Headhunters (THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND.)
The Seventh Seal
Virgin Spring
Wild Strawberries
Through a Glass Darkly
Hour of the Wolf an
Anything else by Ingmar Bergman
Kitchen Stories

Lebanon
Caramel
Where Do We Go From Here?

Iran
A Separation
The Past
Women Without Men
Blackboards
Gabbeh (or other films by Makhmalbaf)
ten

Saudi Arabia
Wadjda

Russia/Soviet Union
12 (remake of Twelve Angry Men)
Night Watch and its sequel Day Watch
Gentlemen of Fortune (1971)
The Irony of Fate, or Enjoy Your Bath!
Battleship Potemkin
Strike!
Solaris

Israel
Jellyfish
Lemon Tree
My father my lord
Footnote
Broken wings

Germany
The Lives of Others
The Edukators
Sophie Schoell
Run Lola Run
The White Ribbon
The Warrior and the Princess
Downfall
The Sandman
Goodbye, Lenin!
M
Metropolis (the restored cut from a few years back, if you can find it)
Cabinet of Dr Caligari
Wings of desire

Canada (French)
The Barbarian Invasions
C.R.A.Z.Y.
Monsieur Lazhar

Netherlands
Black Book
Bullhead
Turkish Delight
North Sea Texas
Antonia's line

Italy

I Am Love
The Double Hour
La Dolce Vita
La Strada
Amarcord
8 1/2

Belgium?
Incendies

My favorite Bollywood films are:
* Dil Se
* Om Shanti Om
* Dhoom 2

Poland
The Decalogue
Three colors trylogy: Blue, White, Red (though I guess this can go under "france"

China
The road home

Spain
All about my mother
The devil's backbone
Like water for chocolate

I will add to this, but that should get you started.
[/quote]
I added in red some movies that came to mind when I read your list. None of them are new. I have more, But I can get carried away :blush: For now, this will due.
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
FZ.
Racketeer

Post by FZ. »

edit: this will do :blush:
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
Vompatti
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 40

Post by Vompatti »

Why no Bresson?
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

Mongoose wrote:
Probably peach! I am big on fruit flavors, but also mild things like green tea or lemon cookie. I don't like heavier flavors like chocolate or caramel.
But what about cookie dough??? :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Vompatti wrote:Why no Bresson?
Crap, I kept reminding myself to add in B13/District 13 and Brotherhood of the Wolf. I can't believe I forgot Solaris and Jules et Jim, in particular. And Almodovar completely, ha. Timecrimes is another Spanish film I like. I like so many Spanish films, it's a trip I forgot that. I didn't put Mexico on there either.

Basically how this started is Daisy asked me for a starter list of foreign films, which was probably a mistake on her part because I rambled for like 10 mins straight haha.

What is your favorite part of the Decalogue? I remember that one with the kid falling through the ice the most.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Dom wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
That's a little too much for me. I can do Oreo sometimes, but I like the quiet sensibility of fruity flavors usually. I also like flower flavors, if that doesn't sound nuts. Like violet or lavender. And definitely any teas or tisanes.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

FZ - It's cool to know we share common interests! I have my own film website Film Bouillabaisse http://www.filmbouillbaisse.com/ if you ever get bored. I should be updating it soon.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Vompatti
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 40

Post by Vompatti »

Mongoose wrote:
Vompatti wrote:Why no Bresson?
Crap, I kept reminding myself to add in B13/District 13 and Brotherhood of the Wolf. I can't believe I forgot Solaris and Jules et Jim, in particular. And Almodovar completely, ha. Timecrimes is another Spanish film I like. I like so many Spanish films, it's a trip I forgot that. I didn't put Mexico on there either.

Basically how this started is Daisy asked me for a starter list of foreign films, which was probably a mistake on her part because I rambled for like 10 mins straight haha.

What is your favorite part of the Decalogue? I remember that one with the kid falling through the ice the most.
I watched it on TV and only saw about half of them butt I like the one he made into A Short Film About Love k
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

Mongoose wrote:
Dom wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
That's a little too much for me. I can do Oreo sometimes, but I like the quiet sensibility of fruity flavors usually. I also like flower flavors, if that doesn't sound nuts. Like violet or lavender. And definitely any teas or tisanes.
You should try lavender short bread cookies, then. :)
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Dom wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
Dom wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
You should try lavender short bread cookies, then. :)
Yeah definitely! I've made lavender pot d'cremes before and that was a good mix. Done lemon-lavender a bit too.

I've had Earl Grey shortbreads but never lavender. Definitely worth a go.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Bass_the_Clever
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Bass_the_Clever »

Are you a beach or forest or city person?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
acrosstheaether wrote:If Bass_the_Clever is mafia, he is a clever mafia.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Bass_the_Clever wrote:Are you a beach or forest or city person?
I'm not a beach person despite living so close to it. I don't mind the beach at night. I like the cities a bit, because that is where you find museums and cinemas. But all in all, I'm a tried and true woods girl. I like the quiet, lack of noise pollution, and seeing wild critters. The outdoor activities I like doing are all foresty activities (hiking, picnicking, scavenger hunts), so that helps solidify my answer as well.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 99

Post by Spacedaisy »

What is your favorite alcoholic drink?
Funniest childhood memory?
Do you prefer to be a Baddie or civ?
What is one thing you would love to learn to do?
Guilty pleasure?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Spacedaisy wrote:What is your favorite alcoholic drink?
It is a Greyhound, which is a vodka & grapefruit.
Spacedaisy wrote:Funniest childhood memory?
Probably the one(s) I told you and Alex about in the car that one time:

When I was 13 or so, my 6-year-old brother put a pizza box on the still-hot stove and we had to call the fire department from the small flame that erupted. They gave us a talk on fire safety and went on their way.

A week later, my brother and I were playing this game with the fold out bed of the couch - he'd lay in it and I'd roll him up. And then pull him out. I don't know why we thought that was so fun. But eventually he got bored of being the rolled and wanted to be the roller. So I laid on the couch bed and he rolled me up. The problem is that I was twice his age and twice his weight, so he couldn't get me back out! I fought back panic as he called the fire department again. The firemen arrived and were like "Really??"

A month passed and I didn't think anything of it. I was at a sleepover and there was a gas leak. So there's 14 of us outside in our PJs while the fire department pokes around. When they arrived, there were a couple of the same guys that visited my mom's house and pointed at me and said something like "Oh no, not you again!"
Spacedaisy wrote:Do you prefer to be a Baddie or civ?
I LOVE being a civ. My favorite is being a civ with BTSC.
Spacedaisy wrote:What is one thing you would love to learn to do?
I would learn how to make yogurt, ricotta, stuff like that. But with goat milk since I'm allergic to dairy.
Spacedaisy wrote:Guilty pleasure?
I love and adore bubble baths. If I can do it while having a fancy beverage, all the better.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Roxy
Hitman
Posts in topic: 53
Preferred Pronouns: She, Her, Whore if ya know me

Post by Roxy »

Oh Mongoose we must exchange hiking stories someday. :D

Do you enjoy camping? Have any fun camping/pinicking stories to share?
Ever had a hiking "incidents"?
How do you feel about Tracy/Hepburn?
(I also like Loy in Cheaper by the Dozen. She was a bit older but more regal in her style imo)
What is for dinner?
;)
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 23

Post by Hedgeowl »

Roxy wrote:Oh Mongoose we must exchange hiking stories someday. :D

Do you enjoy camping? Have any fun camping/pinicking stories to share?
Ever had a hiking "incidents"?
How do you feel about Tracy/Hepburn?
(I also like Loy in Cheaper by the Dozen. She was a bit older but more regal in her style imo)
What is for dinner?
I am curious about your opinion on Tracy/Hepburn as well! That's who I was think of reading of your love for Powell/Loy.
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Roxy wrote:Oh Mongoose we must exchange hiking stories someday. :D
Roxy wrote:Do you enjoy camping? Have any fun camping/pinicking stories to share?
The last time we went camping was Feb 2012, so it was not too warm yet then, which was nice. There are some pics on facebook, if you go back far enough. I want to do more camping but I'm very nervous about getting murdered. On that particular camping trip, Whitney Houston had just died and I couldn't even believe it as I've always been a big fan. So I played her very loudly and very drunkenly danced and sung along and then my husband tried to abscond with the radio so I'd stop and a true battle of wills began.
Roxy wrote:Ever had a hiking "incidents"?
Not really as I am very cautious by nature. I've had a snake get into master control room once when I worked at the radio station, so that was fun. My co-host took the snake away from the screaming news girl and headed toward my boss's office and threw the snake out of the second story window onto the grass below while the international students walking underneath screamed their heads off. Amazing.
Roxy wrote:How do you feel about Tracy/Hepburn?
I love them. I have seen every film they ever did together. Did you know that Katharine Hepburn never saw Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? because it's the last film they made before he died? I've always been partial to Desk Set myself. Sometimes I like to pretend to be Katharine Hepburn as portrayed by Cate Blanchett (marvelously, I might add) in The Aviator. I like to say "Howaaaard" in that tone of hers. I also say things like "God bless Kate Hepburn for pants." Which is tragicomic since she was atheist, but I think she would forgive me.

I remember watching Desk Set at my mom's when I was very lil, probably 3 and I decided I wanted to be strong like Kate Hepburn. And not let some man dictate my life or boss me around just because he had a weiner. So I think she's been a big influence on me, probably as much as more luminary type role models like Gloria Steinem and Margaret Mead and Marie Curie and Kim Gordon etc.

I am not sure if they are my all-time favorite celeb couple, but they are top 3. #1 is probably Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. He is my favorite actor, and I actually received sympathy cards when he passed away back in 2008 because everyone knew how upset I'd be. So then he died and while he's my favorite actor of all time, I needed a new favorite living actor. So then I chose Peter O'Toole, who I often referred to as "Peter Freakin O'Toole." I was supposed to see him live at Savannah Film Festival back in 2004 or so but my dad messed that up. So then I had to decide very recently who my favorite living actor is and it was a tight race between Robert Redford and Christopher Plummer, but I chose Christopher Plummer. I remember the night he won the Oscar for Beginners and I cried. Not just for how much he deserved it (and I freakin loved that performance) but that Max von Sydow couldn't have won it that year as well.

My other favorite was Bogey/Bacall. I have a whole book on their relationship that I got for free at a Sierra Club giveaway and it makes me very sad so I can't look at it very often.

I think John Cassavetes and Gena Rowlands were also a very lovely couple and I'm a huge fan of their work together. He has inspired me probably more than any other filmmaker.

I don't cry very often but most of it seems to be movie-related ha.
Roxy wrote:What is for dinner?
I had a really late lunch of a beet & feta burger with soul kale and oven-fried and delightfully seasoned potato wedges (all leftovers from Sunday) so for dinner tonight I ate really lite: a Pecan Pie Larabar, a Fuji apple, and a tossed salad consisting of greek olives, cherry tomatoes, romaine, and miso vinaigrette.

link- Hedge - Enjoy! More than you ever probably wanted to know, ha.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer

Post by Hedgeowl »

Do you like Coconut?

I tried the Larabar coconut and peanut and like them. Banana bread, not as much.

What type of comedies do you like?

Do you have a favorite romantic comedy?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Hedgeowl wrote:Do you like Coconut?
I love it! In any form or permutation. From coconut milk to coconut water to coconut meat, etc.
Hedgeowl wrote:I tried the Larabar coconut and peanut and like them. Banana bread, not as much.
I also really like the blueberry muffin, cherry pie, and cashew cookie. I put banana bread in my purse for tomorrow, so now I'm scared! I thought the key lime was awful and I was sad. The lemon is okay but not as good as I'd like. The coconut is hard to fine but I freakin love it.
Hedgeowl wrote:What type of comedies do you like?
I like mainsteam sometimes. I can appreciate Apatow, but I think he is absolute spit usually at writing women. I LOVED Bridesmaids. I love dark comedies like Sightseers or Keeping Mum (both English). I don't like normal rom-coms and haven;t seen many modern ones. I think horror comedies are underappreciated but coming back with full force thanks to Pegg/Frost's Cornetto trilogy. I also really like silent film comedies. The General is my favorite. I tend to prefer Buster Keaton to the Marx Bros or Chaplin, but I enjoy those too. I like indie comedies, especially in the Mumblecore vein.
Hedgeowl wrote:Do you have a favorite romantic comedy?
I love His Girl Friday. I also adore Philadelphia Story. And I need a third...hmm. Something more modern - I really loved both Punch-Drunk Love and Away We Go.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

I should qualify and say that I love classic rom-coms but not modern day ones. If it has Jennifer Lopez or Kate Hudson, I've probably not seen it.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Matahari
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Matahari »

Charade or The Truth About Charlie?

Do you have an affinity for television as well?

Have you collected any autographs from any of the famous people you have met, (or is that something not done anymore)? I ask because when I was 13, I got Gloria Steinem's autograph, and when you mentioned her, it reminded me of that.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Matahari wrote:Charade or The Truth About Charlie?
Oh those two, I prefer Charade over the Mark Wahlburg film. I almost wonder if you meant The Trouble With Harry, which is a 50s Hitchcock film. Or maybe I'm not getting the tie between Charade and TTAC, which is entirely likely!
Matahari wrote:Do you have an affinity for television as well?
It's not nearly the same level. I do enjoy TV - people can get awfully righteous about TV these days, but I think there's lots worth watching. HBO and Showtime etc have really raised the bar on televised entertainment, and I love a lot of PBS shows as well. Right this second I am watching a British soap opera (Coronation Street) on Hulu, so I like more LCD stuff too. I watch a lot less TV than the average bear, but that's not so much snobbery as much as TV watching can't cannibalize my book reading or movie watching efforts!
Matahari wrote:Have you collected any autographs from any of the famous people you have met, (or is that something not done anymore)? I ask because when I was 13, I got Gloria Steinem's autograph, and when you mentioned her, it reminded me of that.
I have a few. When I saw Gloria Steinem in Clearwater back in 2008 or so, I got her signature then. I also have one from Chris Matthews, who was the graduation speaker when I graduated Stetson Law. Also Carl Hiaasen, who spoke to my journalism school. I REALLY want Noam Chomsky's and I am totally sad I don't have one from Howard Zinn. I'm more a luminary fan than a real celeb chaser or star gazer, so I don't have a lot. I'm so private (outside of this thread, LOLOLOL) that I guess I super respect stars' privacy so I never want to bother them when I brush shoulders with them at the film festivals and whatnot. But book signings and stuff like that is fair game since that's kinda the name of the game. Hopefully that sounds reasonable and not sanctimonious haha.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Last night we watched Runner Runner and it was terrible.

I don't want to see Ben Affleck's name attached to movies anymore unless it's in the director's chair.

It had some weird similarities to Argo (which I really liked), so that was strange.

I have coconut macaroon coffee! :coffee:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 39

Post by A Person »

Have you discovered any good music lately?
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 64
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Which bands have you seen live?
Favorite kind of tea?
Which country/region/place do you most want to visit?
How do you feel about meerkats?
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

nutella wrote:Which bands have you seen live?
Bloc Party (x2), Less Than Jake (x13), Catch-22, Cheese Puff Death Squad, The Pogues, Seryn, Against Me!, Bad Religion, Pennywise, The Toasters, Sherwood, The Format, Screeching Weasel. Architecture in Helsinki. Astronautulis, Laurie Anderson.
nutella wrote:Favorite kind of tea?
Any kind, nearly! I don't like chai tea or other teas with cinnamon and I don't like peppermint. Anything else is game on. I have camomile nearly every night. I will often have a London Fog (Earl Grey) in the mornings followed by iced green tea until late afternoon when I switch an iced white tea or tisane. I like fruity teas.
nutella wrote:Which country/region/place do you most want to visit?
For sure, Prague. I am also overdue for a visit to the Pacific Northwest. I have friends in Eugene and Portland, and I'd also like to see the birthplace of grunge in Seattle.
nutella wrote:How do you feel about meerkats?
I love them. I've seen every episode of Meerkat Manor at least once, and own the movie. I also loved the movie The Meerkats (unrelated to Meerkat Manor), which was hosted by Paul Newman. It can be hard to find mongoose paraphernalia but pretty easy to get meerkat stuff, so I get given a lot of that instead.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

A Person wrote:Have you discovered any good music lately?
Not really. My last big discoveries were about 4 years ago. I've not clung to any new music in a long time. For me, 2004-05 (and a bit of '06) was a golden age of indie music for me. That's when Bloc Party, Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, Architecture in Helsinki, The Format, New Pornographers, Interpol, and Bright Eyes released their magnum opii.

Some exceptions - I don't hate HAIM. I couldn't get into Gotye or Lana del Rey or Fun or any of those bands people assume I like. But Haim is pretty accessible for me; they are pretty good. Fairly new discoveries for me (about 4 years ago) were Elbow, Metric, and Mooney Suzuki.

Most of the songwriters/composers that I like are dead :/

There is not a musical act currently active that I hate more than Maroon 5.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 184
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

Desk Set is my fav Tracy/Hepburn movie too gooesey. And yes, I've seen all of them as well :)
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer

Post by Hedgeowl »

Have you seen Death to Smootchy?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Hedgeowl wrote:Have you seen Death to Smootchy?
I have, right when it came out (on VHS har).

Bea - I'm so glad you like it too!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Matahari
Drug Dealer

Post by Matahari »

Mongoose, The Truth About Charlie was a remake of Charade, but rewritten so it was a bit different. It was not a big hit at the box office, but I really liked it. They paid tribute to Shoot the Piano Player, and Charles Aznavour sang in the movie. Charade was one of my favorite old movies, but I quite liked the updated version.
(I liked The Trouble With Harry too, very quirky)

Are you finding it tedious to answer so many questions? (You definitely make it seem effortless, and everything you've posted has been a joy to read!)
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Matahari wrote:Mongoose, The Truth About Charlie was a remake of Charade, but rewritten so it was a bit different. It was not a big hit at the box office, but I really liked it. They paid tribute to Shoot the Piano Player, and Charles Aznavour sang in the movie. Charade was one of my favorite old movies, but I quite liked the updated version.
(I liked The Trouble With Harry too, very quirky)

Are you finding it tedious to answer so many questions? (You definitely make it seem effortless, and everything you've posted has been a joy to read!)
Ahh, I never picked up on that! I saw them so far apart, it didn't click. And then when I saw Charade again 5 years ago or so, it still didn't click. I love that there are Shoot the Piano Player homages in it. I love that Harry Potter 3 (the film) has homages to Y Tu Mama Tambien in it; I thought that was very clever of Alfonso Cuaron. Heck, even 500 Days of Summer had these lovely homages to Umbrellas of Cherbourg etc.

I do not find it tedious to answer so many questions, but I have been a bit worried I will miss someone's query. I'm good at conversation, I guess. I'm good at listening too. Great Brunch Partner! Ooh I like poached eggs a lot. And hashbrowns. I wish Waffle House poached eggs come to think of it.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Matahari
Drug Dealer

Post by Matahari »

Did you ever see Whats Up Doc, with Streisand, Ryan O'Neal (when he was hawt), and Madeline Kahn (my all-time favorite actress)? If so, what did you think of it?

Return to “Welcome to the Family”