Dr. Who Mafia - Night 12

Moderator: Community Team

24 Hour Days?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:47 pm

Yes
61%
No
No votes
Votes in this poll are non-changable! (host/non/mod/dead)
39%

Total votes: 18
Enrique
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 259

Re: Dr. Who Mafia! - Day 0

Post by Enrique »

Nikki, what do you make of this whole zeek/MP exchange? Of Dana's reaction, mine, keys', etc.?

So cool to be playing with you btw. :lorab:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 407

Post by Dom »

Spacedaisy wrote:
fingersplints wrote:Am I missing another post from SD?
Oh crap. Yes you are missing one because I accidentally hit edit instead of quote on on Dom's post!!!
Good to know. :noble:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mister Rearranger
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Mister Rearranger »

Made wrote:
Epignosis wrote:Yeah, I'm not buying this little back and forth at all.
You'll never make friends with that attitude!
I would like to agree with this, but Epi's a pretty cool cat. :srsnod:

I've got a lot of catching up to do; but first, how about a joke?

What do you call 2 twins who also happen to be medical professionals?
We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't.

S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 368

Post by S~V~S »

Dom wrote:
S~V~S wrote:Don't clip quotes. It looks bad, tbh.
What constitutes clipping a quote?
This does:
Made wrote:
zeek wrote: Day 0 before. I don't know how you guys play on this site. I don't want this to sound like tit for tat... but I find it weird you're making a big deal of my post.
Made wrote:
zeek wrote: I've never played in a game with Day 0 before.
Out of:
zeek wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Given The Master appears to be an LMS, which makes complete sense, I would bet he has a pretty powerful role, so yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he would resurrect after dying. I suppose The Doctor can as well though? Which means someone automatically regenerating after death could be either of those roles, potentially. So why wouldn't you mention that?
I was concentrating on the baddies, don't think it's helpful to discuss the potential secret powers of civs until necessary.
MovingPictures07 wrote:Consequently, while I do believe you have some logical and astute observations, in the end, I question the true intent behind your post. I've seen baddies (and I always try to do this myself as bad) who try to appear as helpful as possible but while simultaneously causing unnecessary paranoia, so just because I find myself agreeing with you, when I read your post part of me wondered if you are trying to set up misconceptions and paranoia.
Because you agree with me and I was trying to be helpful, I might be bad? I'm not, I was simply trying to help inform the non-Whovians who are playing. If the baddie teams were the Weeping Angels and the Slytheen I still would have speculated on likely secret powers. Due to the nature of those groups there wouldn't be a potential recruitment though, so would I have drawn your suspicion?

It's Day 0, and I've never played in a game with Day 0 before. I don't know how you guys play on this site. I don't want this to sound like tit for tat... but I find it weird you're making a big deal of my post.
Especially on this site, where we can't link to the original post via the quote. Taking things out of their original context can change the meaning sometimes. When someone asks you to produce a quote, as I asked Made "where did Zeek say that", producing the whole thing is better, cutting and pasting parts of it out looks like you are trying to hide something. This is only my opinion, of course, but I am fairly sure other people have said similar things in other games.

And yeah, I have done the "edit instead of quote" thing in other peoples posts, too. For some reason it's easier for me to do that by accident on phone, so I try to avoid quoting on phone if possible. I usually catch it in preview, when I realize that my comments are in the text :blush: ~ it's one reason I avoid that trendy "replying in another color in the body of the quote" thing. I have only actually posted it once.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Wow that was bad formatting, lol. Too early
Bullzeye
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 30

Post by Bullzeye »

S~V~S wrote: Especially on this site, where we can't link to the original post via the quote. Taking things out of their original context can change the meaning sometimes. When someone asks you to produce a quote, as I asked Made "where did Zeek say that", producing the whole thing is better, cutting and pasting parts of it out looks like you are trying to hide something. This is only my opinion, of course, but I am fairly sure other people have said similar things in other games.

And yeah, I have done the "edit instead of quote" thing in other peoples posts, too. For some reason it's easier for me to do that by accident on phone, so I try to avoid quoting on phone if possible. I usually catch it in preview, when I realize that my comments are in the text :blush: ~ it's one reason I avoid that trendy "replying in another color in the body of the quote" thing. I have only actually posted it once.
I'm worried now because I think I do this a lot and people must think I'm bad for it. Does what I've done to this post constitute cropping? I tend to chop bits out of quotes that I don't have anything to say to or aren't relevant to the conversation I want to have, mainly for ease of reading and so people know exactly what I'm talking about. Especially if I only want to respond to like three sentences out of an MP-scale post. It's not nefarious, just convenient.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I think of it as cutting a line out of a paragraph, or out of a single persons post. I cut out other peoples quotes too :shrug:

Like I said it is my opinion, that's all. I would not have brought it up again, but Dom asked.
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 146

Post by Hedgeowl »

S~V~S wrote:
Dom wrote:
S~V~S wrote:Don't clip quotes. It looks bad, tbh.
What constitutes clipping a quote?
wheeeeeeeeee
This does:
Made wrote:
zeek wrote: Day 0 before. I don't know how you guys play on this site. I don't want this to sound like tit for tat... but I find it weird you're making a big deal of my post.
Made wrote:
zeek wrote: I've never played in a game with Day 0 before.
Out of:
zeek wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Given The Master appears to be an LMS, which makes complete sense, I would bet he has a pretty powerful role, so yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he would resurrect after dying. I suppose The Doctor can as well though? Which means someone automatically regenerating after death could be either of those roles, potentially. So why wouldn't you mention that?
I was concentrating on the baddies, don't think it's helpful to discuss the potential secret powers of civs until necessary.
MovingPictures07 wrote:Consequently, while I do believe you have some logical and astute observations, in the end, I question the true intent behind your post. I've seen baddies (and I always try to do this myself as bad) who try to appear as helpful as possible but while simultaneously causing unnecessary paranoia, so just because I find myself agreeing with you, when I read your post part of me wondered if you are trying to set up misconceptions and paranoia.
Because you agree with me and I was trying to be helpful, I might be bad? I'm not, I was simply trying to help inform the non-Whovians who are playing. If the baddie teams were the Weeping Angels and the Slytheen I still would have speculated on likely secret powers. Due to the nature of those groups there wouldn't be a potential recruitment though, so would I have drawn your suspicion?
wooohoooo
It's Day 0, and I've never played in a game with Day 0 before. I don't know how you guys play on this site. I don't want this to sound like tit for tat... but I find it weird you're making a big deal of my post.
Especially on this site, where we can't link to the original post via the quote. Taking things out of their original context can change the meaning sometimes. When someone asks you to produce a quote, as I asked Made "where did Zeek say that", producing the whole thing is better, cutting and pasting parts of it out looks like you are trying to hide something. This is only my opinion, of course, but I am fairly sure other people have said similar things in other games.

omg I am trendy finally! :dance:
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Bullzeye
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 30

Post by Bullzeye »

Mister Rearranger wrote:
Made wrote:
Epignosis wrote:Yeah, I'm not buying this little back and forth at all.
You'll never make friends with that attitude!
I would like to agree with this, but Epi's a pretty cool cat. :srsnod:

I've got a lot of catching up to do; but first, how about a joke?

What do you call 2 twins who also happen to be medical professionals?
I imagine you would call them by their names if you were familiar enough with them, or refer to them as Dr whatever until invited to do otherwise.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 439

Post by Epignosis »

Mister Rearranger wrote:What do you call 2 twins
A redundancy?
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
reywaS
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by reywaS »

:derp:
Some day, Some day
Some day I'll, I wanna wear a starry crown
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 204
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Wow - and this is only day 0. Just catching up and providing some thoughts.

As a non-whovian I appreciate whatever information I can get on the characters in this game that comes from the tv show. I did not know the Master could regenerate but I did know Dr. Who does because it seems to be the cause of much angst in my Whovian friends. So I didn't see anything odd about zeeks post. I'm also wondering if now people will be reluctant to share details that may be important about the tv show.

I also see MP as normal MP right now. I usually can't tell about him until later in the game but he does seem to jump on seemingly small things early. Or make up theories about things that seem off base, even when he's civ. So, I'm not thinking he is bad at this point in time.

This is not going to be a favorable opinion but I see the whole thing as much to do about nothing. I don't think Dr. Who was left out of the regeneration conversation for a nefarious reason and I don't think MP has found a baddie behavior. Maybe part of my feeling is I know all too well how easy it is to say something that is taken wrong and be seen as a baddie because of it.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 158
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

JC's post reminded me of something I wanted to say earlier but got distracted by skerry clowns. *shivers*

I know there are a few people playing this game that are unfamiliar with Dr. Who. If you have any questions about things because you don't know the history, please don't hesitate to direct a question towards the hosts or shoot us a PM.

We will not reveal info that can spoil secrets but like this last case, I feel ok with saying that because both the Doctor and the Master are the same race, they both possess the power of regeneration in the show. Your guess isn't quite as good as mine as to whether or not either or both of them possess this power in the game. :feb:

Cool?

coolcoolcool
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

juliets wrote:This is not going to be a favorable opinion but I see the whole thing as much to do about nothing. I don't think Dr. Who was left out of the regeneration conversation for a nefarious reason and I don't think MP has found a baddie behavior. Maybe part of my feeling is I know all too well how easy it is to say something that is taken wrong and be seen as a baddie because of it.
Completely agreed.
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 858
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Folks, FYI I will look into the permissions oddness further once I'm done with classes for the day.

Spacedaisy wrote:Oh one more thing! I have not gotten any Baddie vibes from MP so far, though it is early. It doesn't usually take too long for his Baddie self to shine through when he is not civ. and I think this thing with Dana is just a case of misreading him because she is not used to his play style. He can be over the top sometimes.... Or pretty much all the time! ;)
I love playing mafia games with you, but simultaneously it's definitely a real love/hate thing because I'm positive you have a better track record of reading me (as could be expected) than almost anyone... you pretty much sunk me D1 last game, you!!! :WTF: :p

I'm only "over the top" because everyone else is under the top. :srsnod:

juliets wrote:Wow - and this is only day 0. Just catching up and providing some thoughts.

As a non-whovian I appreciate whatever information I can get on the characters in this game that comes from the tv show. I did not know the Master could regenerate but I did know Dr. Who does because it seems to be the cause of much angst in my Whovian friends. So I didn't see anything odd about zeeks post. I'm also wondering if now people will be reluctant to share details that may be important about the tv show.

I also see MP as normal MP right now. I usually can't tell about him until later in the game but he does seem to jump on seemingly small things early. Or make up theories about things that seem off base, even when he's civ. So, I'm not thinking he is bad at this point in time.

This is not going to be a favorable opinion but I see the whole thing as much to do about nothing. I don't think Dr. Who was left out of the regeneration conversation for a nefarious reason and I don't think MP has found a baddie behavior. Maybe part of my feeling is I know all too well how easy it is to say something that is taken wrong and be seen as a baddie because of it.
You may think it's baseless!

I don't understand why people keep commenting on this matter as if I'm crusading zeek to be bad. Far from it. Lol. I just was so anxious to get discussion going once I found something I thought was worth commenting on. :p

So apparently I'm the only one who read zeek's post that way then?

I can't help but think all the casual defending of zeek makes me wonder if I'm actually onto something, but it's probably much more likely that I'm just insane and my probability of being right with my observation of zeek's intentions is essentially equivalent to my "being right" that I was going to hit a "baddie" on the dart board when it was really just random chance. That said, I believe what I believe, and if others don't find my content worth considering, that's fine, but I will express what I think because I want to find baddies.

Nonetheless! As Rox observed, it is true that if I don't find absolutely anything else of note between now and the end of D1 that I'm incredibly likely to vote zeek, even if my read on him is extremely slight, but somehow I highly doubt that's going to happen. There is plenty of time for others. :feb:

Personally, I haven't seen anything off about Dana just yet, nor anyone else, but I'll be sure to let the thread know when I do. :p
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

Oh and yes - to whomever asked it: The picture in the roles list is a picture of Peter Capaldi, the current (12) Doctor.

I belong to a Dr Who forum, and I gotta say a) those guys are even more like LP's main forumers than LP ever was and b) I learned a lot about Capaldi's role in Thick of It and censorship. Apparently the producers had to go to the beeb like weekly to negotiate what was in and what wasn't. As in, if we get rid of this boob shot, we can allow Tucker to say Fuck three more times. :haha:

Ok - off to work back tonight!
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Canucklehead »

I have never seen a single episode of Dr. Who, nor do I know anything about it.

BUT! David Tennant is my favourite (modern) Hamlet, so he will get my vote.

I will also vote for number 5, because 5 is a dignified and beautiful number. :noble:
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 385
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Made wrote:Linki- ok this is just a petpeev, but people describing their own tells always makes me feel weird.
:srsnod:

Completely agree. When people try to explain their own meta, I either ignore it, or inspect it more closely if it pings me enough.

Also, MP on Day 1 is always so fishy, he might as well be sockgills.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Seriously, people, answer me this: What is suspicious about pursuing something I detected to be possibly insincere?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

EBWOP: Isn't that just how you're supposed to play the game?

I find the reluctant attitude of some people a bit bothersome, but not necessarily suspicious, especially considering it's not even technically Day 1 yet.

And I'm really beginning to wonder if I've hit a nerve, even if apparently my observation was minute and appears to have been explained poorly.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Third post in a row, sorry, but that post by MM just got my ping detector buzzing and it's irksome. It just seems like a way to blend in with the general consensus that apparently no one should pay attention to what I'm saying, which is fine, whatever, if you guys think my content is worthless that's totally your opinion, but it's like, really? How is the fact that I've clearly stated an observation of an interpretation of intentions I found to be possibly suspicious, suspicious?

Just let that sink in for a bit.
Boogs
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Boogs »

Im sorry but i dont think MP trying to look for suspicion makes him bad when 95% if the time we randomize anyway the first lynch. At least hes trying.
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

Right. Nobody said MP was bad.
ImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Canucklehead »

Question: Can I start watching Dr. Who with just the "reboot"? Or do I need to watch the originals? Where/when does the "reboot" start?
fingersplints
Hitman
Posts in topic: 80

Post by fingersplints »

I don't think it's worthless MP. I'd rather read about a couple posts about a small suspicion than 100 posts about a topic I know next to nothing about.
Gro-oo-ovy
keys56000000000
The Mark
Posts in topic: 328

Post by keys56000000000 »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Seriously, people, answer me this: What is suspicious about pursuing something I detected to be possibly insincere?
I'm not saying I do find you suspicious yet, but I'll answer your question by playing devil's advocate.

It's pretty early in the game. Day 0, to be precise, so technically the game hasn't started yet. So it'd be pretty reasonable to say that there isn't much of anything to go on at the moment. Therefore, your early enthusiasm could very well be merely an attempt at appearing like an enthusiastic civvie.

TL;DR: you could be doing a wine-in-front-of-me thing.

At this stage I don't find anyone suspicious. I don't blame MP or Epi or indeed myself ( :D ) for trying, but I just don't see it yet.

@canuck: I'm sure somebody else can better answer your question, but I believe the answer is no, you don't need to have watched the original series, and that the reboot is labeled season 1 (2005).
ZEPPELIN RULES! \o/
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 385
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Third post in a row, sorry, but that post by MM just got my ping detector buzzing and it's irksome. It just seems like a way to blend in with the general consensus that apparently no one should pay attention to what I'm saying, which is fine, whatever, if you guys think my content is worthless that's totally your opinion, but it's like, really? How is the fact that I've clearly stated an observation of an interpretation of intentions I found to be possibly suspicious, suspicious?

I had meant to put the line in sarcastic orange, but I was quick-posting from my phone.

I hate getting too into the game too quickly. You never really can tell who's scum baddie-hunting and who's just playing along.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
zeek
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 683

Post by zeek »

Canucklehead wrote:Question: Can I start watching Dr. Who with just the "reboot"? Or do I need to watch the originals? Where/when does the "reboot" start?
Only bit that isn't completely explained by the reboot is Sarah Jane's role I'd say. But even then you can get the gist.
Boogs wrote:Im sorry but i dont think MP trying to look for suspicion makes him bad when 95% if the time we randomize anyway the first lynch. At least hes trying.
Even though he went after me, I agree with this.
juliets wrote:I'm also wondering if now people will be reluctant to share details that may be important about the tv show.
Well it's certainly made me think twice, but I will help if I can.
MovingPictures07 wrote:I can't help but think all the casual defending of zeek makes me wonder if I'm actually onto something, but it's probably much more likely that I'm just insane and my probability of being right with my observation of zeek's intentions is essentially equivalent to my "being right" that I was going to hit a "baddie" on the dart board when it was really just random chance. That said, I believe what I believe, and if others don't find my content worth considering, that's fine, but I will express what I think because I want to find baddies.

Nonetheless! As Rox observed, it is true that if I don't find absolutely anything else of note between now and the end of D1 that I'm incredibly likely to vote zeek, even if my read on him is extremely slight, but somehow I highly doubt that's going to happen. There is plenty of time for others. :feb:
Well that's awesome. Because people don't agree with you that's potentially corroboration of your theory. Which is certainly insane. Vote for you all you want but repeating your point over and over again does not make it right. All it does is make me (and potentially every other civ) feel like helping discussion is going to get them lynched.

If anyone wants to know my mafia record, I'll provide it. I've had a lot of success hunting baddies in my limited experience which, given your hall of fame, does not appear to be the norm on this site. This situation feels like it might be typical of this site. I'm not criticising you all, I'm saying we need to be smarter than this.

For the record, MP pricked my ears up with his take on my post but I don't know if he's just misguided. He's certainly not helping find the real baddies by banging on about this again and again.

I've noticed the Face of Boe can fact check every night, so... I am a civ.
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

keys is more excited about the game then he is letting on. He even wore a Dr Who/Lost shirt yesterday. See:

Gro-oo-ovy
Roxy
Hitman
Posts in topic: 106
Preferred Pronouns: She, Her, Whore if ya know me

Post by Roxy »

Keys is a sell-out :p anything for another cool tshirt lol!

I never said what MP did was suspicious - I believe it to be his norm. I expected him to do it if that makes sense. He now sees poss teamies/defenders from all of this which is also quite the norm. I never wnt him to stop bc somtimes he is right - maybe he is this time idk its too soon for me to tell.

HOSTS! - when will the day end out of curiousity?
;)
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Enrique wrote:Right. Nobody said MP was bad.
Well, that seems to be true, but people are saying I apparently smell of fish, which is absolutely ridiculous and insulting if you ask me. :p

But seriously, I got the impression that zeek may believe I'm bad, but he hasn't really come out and said it.

keys56000000000 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Seriously, people, answer me this: What is suspicious about pursuing something I detected to be possibly insincere?
I'm not saying I do find you suspicious yet, but I'll answer your question by playing devil's advocate.

It's pretty early in the game. Day 0, to be precise, so technically the game hasn't started yet. So it'd be pretty reasonable to say that there isn't much of anything to go on at the moment. Therefore, your early enthusiasm could very well be merely an attempt at appearing like an enthusiastic civvie.

TL;DR: you could be doing a wine-in-front-of-me thing.

At this stage I don't find anyone suspicious. I don't blame MP or Epi or indeed myself ( :D ) for trying, but I just don't see it yet.

@canuck: I'm sure somebody else can better answer your question, but I believe the answer is no, you don't need to have watched the original series, and that the reboot is labeled season 1 (2005).
No, totally fair, you're right. Which is why I believe I've been more than clear in specifying that my ping involved with zeek's post was pretty minor.

But I think what I'm trying to emphasize is that I don't expect anyone to necessarily believe I'm civvie. That's ridiculous. Even though I know I am, how is anyone else to know that? My point, rather, being that why is it fishy for someone to speculate on insincerity this early in the game?

Of course, now it has been revealed that perhaps I took MM's comment WAY too seriously, but... whatever. :p

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Third post in a row, sorry, but that post by MM just got my ping detector buzzing and it's irksome. It just seems like a way to blend in with the general consensus that apparently no one should pay attention to what I'm saying, which is fine, whatever, if you guys think my content is worthless that's totally your opinion, but it's like, really? How is the fact that I've clearly stated an observation of an interpretation of intentions I found to be possibly suspicious, suspicious?

I had meant to put the line in sarcastic orange, but I was quick-posting from my phone.

I hate getting too into the game too quickly. You never really can tell who's scum baddie-hunting and who's just playing along.
Oh, LOL, I totally misinterpreted your tone, my bad. I just was bothered that someone would seriously try to equate my behavior to being fishy this early on.

Well, that's fair and true, but one has to make some attempt, correct? I mean, it's almost never truly known with 100% confidence or anything even close who's bad or not, and while I agree it's often nearly impossible to tell with anything degree of certainty this early, that doesn't mean it's impossible nor does it mean that people shouldn't try.

zeek wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:Question: Can I start watching Dr. Who with just the "reboot"? Or do I need to watch the originals? Where/when does the "reboot" start?
Only bit that isn't completely explained by the reboot is Sarah Jane's role I'd say. But even then you can get the gist.
Boogs wrote:Im sorry but i dont think MP trying to look for suspicion makes him bad when 95% if the time we randomize anyway the first lynch. At least hes trying.
Even though he went after me, I agree with this.
juliets wrote:I'm also wondering if now people will be reluctant to share details that may be important about the tv show.
Well it's certainly made me think twice, but I will help if I can.
MovingPictures07 wrote:I can't help but think all the casual defending of zeek makes me wonder if I'm actually onto something, but it's probably much more likely that I'm just insane and my probability of being right with my observation of zeek's intentions is essentially equivalent to my "being right" that I was going to hit a "baddie" on the dart board when it was really just random chance. That said, I believe what I believe, and if others don't find my content worth considering, that's fine, but I will express what I think because I want to find baddies.

Well that's awesome. Because people don't agree with you that's potentially corroboration of your theory. Which is certainly insane. Vote for you all you want but repeating your point over and over again does not make it right. All it does is make me (and potentially every other civ) feel like helping discussion is going to get them lynched.

If anyone wants to know my mafia record, I'll provide it. I've had a lot of success hunting baddies in my limited experience which, given your hall of fame, does not appear to be the norm on this site. This situation feels like it might be typical of this site. I'm not criticising you all, I'm saying we need to be smarter than this.

For the record, MP pricked my ears up with his take on my post but I don't know if he's just misguided. He's certainly not helping find the real baddies by banging on about this again and again.

I've noticed the Face of Boe can fact check every night, so... I am a civ.
Bit of an overreaction? "Helping discussion is going to get them lynched"? Last I checked, nearly everyone in the universe agreed that I am way off mark, and even I have been very specific in saying that it's only an interpretation, only a ping, and that this is my first game with you ever, so I'm not crusading you as bad.

Smarter than what? I know you probably didn't mean that insultingly, but what are you trying to say here?

So do you think I'm bad or not? You keep insinuating things about me without really saying it.

You think I'm not playing intelligently by starting discussion? How else are we supposed to root out baddies than to get people talking and gauge their reactions?

And I think you're "I'm a civ" here thing seems really over the top, considering practically no one has said they want you lynched. I'm sorry, but the "I'm a civ" shenanigans always ping the crap out of me inevitably because I think it's something that, if you're really a civvie, you don't really need to say, especially since LD roles can't check statements like that typically since they would break the game. So... :eye:

My initial ping may be viewed as insane or ridiculous, but some of what you're saying just doesn't sit right.
DFaraday
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 93

Post by DFaraday »

The reboot starts with Christopher Eccleston, and it's usually referred to as "Series 1". You definitely don't need to have watched the earlierDoctors, but it would help to get some background on them. I would at least suggest you watch "An Unearthly Child", the very first Who episode ever.

I think this MP/zeek stuff is probably civ/civ. MP is acting exactly like he always does, so I'm not pinged at all by his behavior. I don't know zeek, so I can't really read him, but I don't feel he was being overly defensive.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

EBWOP And if I'm certainly not helping to find real baddies by banging on this again and again, which I've been MORE than clear in the fact that it was initially a very slight ping, then what are you doing to catch baddies? And what is everyone else doing for that matter?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

But anyway, I think everyone knows my current thoughts on the matter; I'll give you the BOTD, zeek, for now, especially since I have no idea what your posting style is like. Feel free to address my points, but I don't want to domineer the thread discussion completely on just us and what everyone else thinks of us. I'm going to take a step back and see what I actually think after I spend the rest of the day on essays and such and the thread has more of a chance to develop and properly start D1 (it's starting today, right?)

But still :eye:
zeek
Money Launderer

Post by zeek »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Bit of an overreaction? "Helping discussion is going to get them lynched"? Last I checked, nearly everyone in the universe agreed that I am way off mark, and even I have been very specific in saying that it's only an interpretation, only a ping, and that this is my first game with you ever, so I'm not crusading you as bad.

Smarter than what? I know you probably didn't mean that insultingly, but what are you trying to say here?

So do you think I'm bad or not? You keep insinuating things about me without really saying it.

You think I'm not playing intelligently by starting discussion? How else are we supposed to root out baddies than to get people talking and gauge their reactions?

And I think you're "I'm a civ" here thing seems really over the top, considering practically no one has said they want you lynched. I'm sorry, but the "I'm a civ" shenanigans always ping the crap out of me inevitably because I think it's something that, if you're really a civvie, you don't really need to say, especially since LD roles can't check statements like that typically since they would break the game. So... :eye:

My initial ping may be viewed as insane or ridiculous, but some of what you're saying just doesn't sit right.
I'm saying we have to be smarter than repeating the same thing over and over. I feel as though there is no point even responding you at this point because you're not questioning anybody else and you're making both of us prime lynch targets.

I said I don't know about you. I was not even remotely ambigious about that. I just don't get your game. What is the point of this? You say you're not after me but you are. Anything and everything I say or related to me only increases your suspicion. You've made your mind up it seems and let's not pretend otherwise. It's one thing getting people talking, it's another to hone in on one player and use everything said as backing up your nonsense. If people agreed, there'd be a consensus I was bad and if they didn't, they defending me.

Point in case, my civ statement. Every game I've ever played with an LD, every single person has said this. And because I'm on this site and say it suddenly it's suspicious. Awesome. Really making me want to play here. "If you're really a civvie" is a cop out.

I'm busy defending myself from really forced suspicions cast my way. Can't get a real hunt going until it's over. And it is. I'm pretty much done responded to you because, honestly, this is ridiculous. You've made your mind up already and you're using whatever you can to convince youself I'm bad.
Dana
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 145
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dana »

zeek wrote:If anyone wants to know my mafia record, I'll provide it. I've had a lot of success hunting baddies in my limited experience which, given your hall of fame, does not appear to be the norm on this site. This situation feels like it might be typical of this site. I'm not criticising you all, I'm saying we need to be smarter than this.

It seems like mafia wins most games, is that just this site or in general? I like your logic though, being smart about things is the best strategy.
zeek wrote:I've noticed the Face of Boe can fact check every night, so... I am a civ.

Are we allowed to do this? I said in my first game that I thought it was weird when people told others they were civ, but if there's a fact checking role, then I feel like people who don't say it will be targeted more. Maybe?

Linki- MP why can't they check statements like that? I assumed that was the point of that role.
Roxy
Hitman

Post by Roxy »

Dana - they usually are not allowed to fact check sentences that contain any of the following words:
Civvie
Baddie
Mafia
Townie
Good
Bad
Etc.

Ld's need to be creative when checking statements.
;)
zeek
Money Launderer

Post by zeek »

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but in my experience the town usually wins.

linki - STV had no such rules, at least not when I was around.
Dana
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 145
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dana »

Roxy wrote:Dana - they usually are not allowed to fact check sentences that contain any of the following words:
Civvie
Baddie
Mafia
Townie
Good
Bad
Etc.

Are people allowed to help them out by implying that they're good without outright saying it? Like "I can be trusted" or something similar?
Roxy
Hitman

Post by Roxy »

It depends on the host dana.

Zeek is was like that everywhere but STV.
;)
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dammit, I just can't keep away. :P

Alright, zeek, that's fine -- I'll drop it for now. Maybe I am giving you a harder time than everyone else. I'm willing to see how things play out and keep an open mind. But I will not let something go if I truly believe I'm onto something. I take the chance that I'm wrong, but I'd feel worse if I let it go and it turns out I was right.

And it appears there are just some cultural differences, but that said, when you refer to "this site", there really are different subcultures mixed into the members of this site because there are people from the STV and LP days, there are others from PA (a music forum) that I brought over, and all sorts of places, so there may not be an overarching site culture when it comes to what is suspicious with regards to certain things. I PERSONALLY think saying "I'm a civ" to prove that you're a civ with an LD role breaks the game, and this gets into Dana's question...

Dana, if the LD could fact check "I'm a civ", then every civvie could just say "I'm a civ", the baddies would be forced to say so as well, and it essentially breaks the game. In fact, I almost never see LD roles anymore because everyone would just come right out of the gate and say "I'm a civ" or "I have BTSC" and, personally, I hate LD roles with a passion, regardless of alignment. I think people abuse them too often and I just don't like their mechanic. But that's just my POV.

Personally, I feel a civvie doesn't need to go around convincing everyone that they're civ by exclaiming it as such, but that's more of the "newer" view and I realize many old timer players like Sorsha will say the same thing zeek just said, so I'm willing to chalk it up to a difference in perspective, but I can't help that it pings the crap out of me every time nonetheless. A civvie doesn't need to prove to him or herself or anyone else that they've civ by saying "I'm a civ" regardless of the existence of an LD role, they do it through their actions.

Also, regarding this site's town v. mafia win ratio, it's true that historically mafia or independents have won most of the full games so far, but for speed games if I recall correctly it's closer to 50/50, or at least 40/60. There are varying theories as to why mafia have won mostly in full games so far, such as inactive civvies, easily manipulated civvies, overpowered baddie teams, too much confusion in the game setup which led to a baddie advantage, etc. I personally don't feel there have been any particularly glaring issues with overpowering, and I feel the explanation is likely a case by case scenario.

And lastly, zeek, I hope you feel incredibly welcome here, despite my initial steamrolling against you -- it's mafia, it's not personal. I don't intend to make you feel uncomfortable or unwelcome, but at the same time I don't want to give newcomers a pass necessarily if I think they're behaving suspiciously. But I realize how it feels to be railroaded (I get lynched ALL the time, and sometimes early, especially in full games, so I know how it feels), so I'm willing to try to approach more rationally. I don't want to keep harping on this unnecessarily. But I will vote however I see fit, and I don't expect anyone else to follow me, because I certainly have not built any sort of case on zeek being bad. Anyone who tries to piggyback off of that as an easy lynch surely will get my eye because I've not argued that. I'm actually glad to see someone else who apparently likes to push discussion because we need more players like that, IMO. :)

Now, see you folks later!
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

Sorry this isn't coded. I'm at work on the phone. Testiest.and I are.going to.work to.have.the.post up.at.roughly 9pm ish - est.",

Linkie - should be teefies up there but that shits funny so imma leave it. :p
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

zeek wrote:I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but in my experience the town usually wins.

linki - STV had no such rules, at least not when I was around.
If it's any help... at STV, every single person said "I'm a civvie" and it was considered suspicious to not say it. I'm honestly really surprised that Rox failed to point this out. :hmm:
I'm not trying to defend zeek here. I honestly have no idea if he is bad, but mafia was played a bit differently on STV, so much so that players from here like Kate and SVS had a bit of trouble there. But yea, that's kind of how the games started. Your first post would be like "yay game :) I'm a townie." And they were big on suspicion lists. And we didn't have polls. And dead players weren't allowed to post at all. That's all I can think of for now. :)
Gro-oo-ovy
Made
Hitman
Posts in topic: 123
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Made »

MovingPictures07 wrote: And it appears there are just some cultural differences, but that said, when you refer to "this site", there really are different subcultures mixed into the members of this site because there are people from the STV and LP days, there are others from PA (a music forum) that I brought over, and all sorts of places, so there may not be an overarching site culture when it comes to what is suspicious with regards to certain things. I PERSONALLY think saying "I'm a civ" to prove that you're a civ with an LD role breaks the game, and this gets into Dana's question...
As a Mafia party boy myself, this kinda of information drop doesn't break the game imo. I mean, in Misfits, I all but knew for certain Ketterman was mafia because of my role, but rules against information dropping make it impossible to say I knew for a fact. Also, doesn't catching someone in a lie kinda prove someone is mafia anyways?
Also I am Supatown :llama:
Pov: you reading my takes
Made
Hitman

Post by Made »

MovingPictures07 wrote: And it appears there are just some cultural differences, but that said, when you refer to "this site", there really are different subcultures mixed into the members of this site because there are people from the STV and LP days, there are others from PA (a music forum) that I brought over, and all sorts of places, so there may not be an overarching site culture when it comes to what is suspicious with regards to certain things. I PERSONALLY think saying "I'm a civ" to prove that you're a civ with an LD role breaks the game, and this gets into Dana's question...
As a Mafia party boy myself, this kinda of information drop doesn't break the game imo. I mean, in Misfits, I all but knew for certain Ketterman was mafia because of my role, but rules against information dropping make it impossible to say I knew for a fact. Also, doesn't catching someone in a lie kinda prove someone is mafia anyways?
Also I am Supatown :llama:
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Roxy wrote:Dana - they usually are not allowed to fact check sentences that contain any of the following words:
Civvie
Baddie
Mafia
Townie
Good
Bad
Etc.

Yeah, in the older games, pretty much everyone would make an overt statement as their first post. It kinda kills the fun. I do make overt checkable statements if I am taking suspicion, though. Not my favorite role, its too much like info for my taste, and it is a hard role to play if you have a host with strict guidelines, or very careful baddies.
Made
Hitman

Post by Made »

....Ok... I just linkied myself? I thought i miss clicked and it showed me a preview instead of actually posting it.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yeah, Splints, that was weird, Lol, and !maybe why the civs won most of the time at STV.
keys56000000000
The Mark
Posts in topic: 328

Post by keys56000000000 »

Mafia on STV wasn't fun, at all. Lol. *shudders*

Oh god I hated those "HURR 100% CIVVIE DEERRP!" roll call days. I remember once I wrote "100% mafia" just to break the monotony. I figured it would work the same, the LD would check it and it'd come up false, so no harm done, but the rest of the players didn't see things that way, and I was promptly lynched.

Starting to remember why I stopped playing this game in the first place! Ha!

Anyway, looking forward to Day 1. :D
ZEPPELIN RULES! \o/
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 181

Post by birdwithteeth11 »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Spacedaisy wrote:Oh one more thing! I have not gotten any Baddie vibes from MP so far, though it is early. It doesn't usually take too long for his Baddie self to shine through when he is not civ. and I think this thing with Dana is just a case of misreading him because she is not used to his play style. He can be over the top sometimes.... Or pretty much all the time! ;)
I love playing mafia games with you, but simultaneously it's definitely a real love/hate thing because I'm positive you have a better track record of reading me (as could be expected) than almost anyone... you pretty much sunk me D1 last game, you!!! :WTF: :p
I'm pretty sure you meant to say "you and BWT pretty much sunk me", so I'll ignore that obvious oversight. :P

Return to “Previous Jobs”