Oblique Strategies - An Eno Mafia [SIGN UPS]

Moderator: Community Team

Will you venture into another green world?

I'll Come Running (Yes)
81%
No One Receiving (No)
10%
America is Waiting (Maybe/Replacement)
10%

Total votes: 21
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 19

Oblique Strategies - An Eno Mafia [SIGN UPS]

Post by thellama73 »

This will be a somewhat unusual, conceptual game of three teams lasting six days and six nights.

The teams start with no BTSC, but gradually gain it as the days progress. When a killer dies, the power does not pass to other team members.

Roles:
Gals - Only surviving members win
Cindy Tells Me - Can send an anonymous PM to one player each Night
Baby ’s On Fire - Kills Nightly
Judy’s Jungle - Role block
Julie With... - Protect
The Fat Lady of Limburg - Gains BTSC with one teammate daily
Miss Shapiro - Can control one player’s vote

Fellas - Kill as many animals as you can - Team wins if has more surviving members than animals

St. Elmo’s Fire - Splits Ions in the Ether
Kurt’s Rejoinder - Retaliates against any night actions used against him.
Blank Frank - Kills nightly
The Great Pretender - A Seemer role
Third Uncle - Gains BTSC with one teammate daily
Energy Fools the Magician - Insanifier

Animals - Maintain an even balance between gals and fellas - Survival not necessary

Spider and I - Gains BTSC with one teammate daily
Somber Reptiles - Add a lynch vote
Little Fishes - Subtract a lynch vote
The Camel - Sticks needles in your eye, making you vote blindly (randomly)
Mother Whale Eyeless - Team checks. Immune to the camel
An Arc of Doves - Protect

Locations:
Over Fire Island
In Dark Trees
By This River
Tiger Mountain
China My China
On Some Faraway Beach

Secret Hidden Location

Player List
1. insertnamehere
2. Boogs
3. MovingPictures07
4. Dominus
5. Black Rock
6. sabie12
7. Metalmarsh89
8. S~V~S
9. Ninja Blooper
10. Mongoose
11. A Person
12. Vompatti
13. Roxy
14. Bass Something Something Clever
15. DFaraday
16. Snow Dog
17. Juliets
18. Triceratopzeuhl
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Oblique Strategies - An Eno Mafia [SIGN UPS]

Post by insertnamehere »

Honor thy error as a hidden intention.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 23
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Definitely in. Eno is one of my all-time favorite musicians.

Good to see you back, INH!
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Yay! It occurs to me that some people not know who Eno is. He is a musician, singer, producer, conceptual artist, the inventor of the ambient music genre, he worked with Roxy Music, David Bowie, Talking Heads, Devo, U2 (ugh), Robert Fripp, Cluster, Harold Budd, and others. He wrote the startup sound for Windows 95. You should all know him and love him, and playing this game is a good way to start.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dom »

I think I'll have time.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Black Rock
Loan Shark

Post by Black Rock »

Probably shouldn't but the concept is hard to resist.
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

It's going to be a straightforward game. Not many secrets, not many side games or contests. The timed game and the win conditions are the extent of the complexity.

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Glad to be eventually playing another game with you both too, Dom and BR!

thellama73 wrote:Yay! It occurs to me that some people not know who Eno is. He is a musician, singer, producer, conceptual artist, the inventor of the ambient music genre, he worked with Roxy Music, David Bowie, Talking Heads, Devo, U2 (ugh), Robert Fripp, Cluster, Harold Budd, and others. He wrote the startup sound for Windows 95. You should all know him and love him, and playing this game is a good way to start.
Good summary.

His ambient work is my favorite, but there's no denying his influence as a collaborator on all the other artists you mentioned as well.

Another Green World is a top 10 desert island record for me.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Another Green World is a top 10 desert island record for me.
The four vocal albums from the 70s are all five star records for me, but my favorites in order are:
Before and After Science
Another Green World
Here Come the Warm Jets
Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy

Of course, I also adore his ambient work, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, and his collaborations with Bowie.

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote: Another Green World is a top 10 desert island record for me.
The four vocal albums from the 70s are all five star records for me, but my favorites in order are:
Before and After Science
Another Green World
Here Come the Warm Jets
Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy

Of course, I also adore his ambient work, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, and his collaborations with Bowie.
Good list. I love those too, but Another Green World is just on another level for me.

I've heard Ambient 1, 2, and 4 so many times I've lost track ages ago. Genius.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Seriously, when it comes to musicians I admire and respect the most, Eno is up there really high. His influence on the development of music thereafter is so incredibly significant that it's impossible to truly represent.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

MovingPictures07 wrote: I've heard Ambient 1, 2, and 4 so many times I've lost track ages ago. Genius.
What about Ambient 3? I like that one. I actually don't have Ambient 4. I've been meaning to plug a few holes in my ENo collection with that one, 801 live, the collab between Kevin Ayers, John Cale, Nico and Eno, Fourth World, Clsuter and Eno, and Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundscapes. Maybe after Christmas I'll go on an Eno buying binge.

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote: I've heard Ambient 1, 2, and 4 so many times I've lost track ages ago. Genius.
What about Ambient 3? I like that one. I actually don't have Ambient 4. I've been meaning to plug a few holes in my ENo collection with that one, 801 live, the collab between Kevin Ayers, John Cale, Nico and Eno, Fourth World, Clsuter and Eno, and Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundscapes. Maybe after Christmas I'll go on an Eno buying binge.
Ambient 3 I've heard a bunch too, but it just doesn't get the rotation of the other three. It's still fantastic, but I like it the least of the bunch.

Oh man, you absolutely need to hear Ambient 4. It's the darkest of the bunch. Really awesome.

Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundscapes is really good too. Well, IMO you can't go wrong with almost anything with his name on it, which is a sentiment I'm sure you'll echo.

I don't have every album of his either, but I've heard quite a lot. I need to fill in the rest as well.

Did you hear Small Craft on a Milk Sea from 2010? It's very good.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Did you hear Small Craft on a Milk Sea from 2010? It's very good.
I haven't heard any of his newer stuff, but that one and Lux both look good to me. I want to check them out when I have the opportunity.

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote: Did you hear Small Craft on a Milk Sea from 2010? It's very good.
I haven't heard any of his newer stuff, but that one and Lux both look good to me. I want to check them out when I have the opportunity.
Yeah, I'm not too insanely familiar with his newer stuff either, but that one I checked out based on reviews and I am so glad I did.
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

I love me some relaxation music :D This is definitely an interesting concept I shall join in
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 6
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Indubitably

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

sabie12 wrote:I love me some relaxation music :D This is definitely an interesting concept I shall join in
Are you familiar with Eno? If not, and you're looking for his ambient work, try this one:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Also, I was listening to Low and Heroes by Bowie while working on my Statistics Project earlier, and it reminded me yet again why the Berlin Trilogy is Bowie's best work (even though he has many spectacular albums). Brian Eno. :noble:
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

It's a shame that ambient music has come to mean those trite meditation CDs when Eno's work is so profound and beautiful. Plateaux of Mirrors is definitely one of his best.

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:It's a shame that ambient music has come to mean those trite meditation CDs when Eno's work is so profound and beautiful. Plateaux of Mirrors is definitely one of his best.
Agreed completely. Ambient music has been very stigmatized and is often misunderstood completely. Ambient or ambient-esque electronic music holds a very special place in my heart for its unique ability to craft soundscapes that truly transplant the listener in another world. Some of my absolute all-time favorite albums are ambient albums, such as Global Communication's 76:14. They can be so emotive and expressive.

Ambient music can be just as challenging and rewarding music as any other form of musical artistic expression, but the connotation that the genre holds among the masses is of the opposite.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

That's the wonder of Eno's work though. However misunderstood the genre of ambient is, Eno's ambient work paved the way for albums such as this (though you could argue there's some Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre influences as well):

Absolute perfection. I seriously love this album to a degree with which I love almost no others.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Inspired by this thread, I went out to buy whatever Eno record I could find. The only one in town was Someday World, the 2014 collaboration with Karl Hyde. Listening to it now. It's weird. Kind of an electro-funk feel. I think I generally like it though.

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Hello everyone. I'm Epignosis, the Mod for this game. If you feel the need to vent, or if something else is bothering you, that's what I'm here for. In addition, if you would like to tell me how much Brian Eno blows, I will be willing to listen to that as well. Thank you and have fun!
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:Inspired by this thread, I went out to buy whatever Eno record I could find. The only one in town was Someday World, the 2014 collaboration with Karl Hyde. Listening to it now. It's weird. Kind of an electro-funk feel. I think I generally like it though.
I haven't heard that one... worth checking out?
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
thellama73 wrote:Inspired by this thread, I went out to buy whatever Eno record I could find. The only one in town was Someday World, the 2014 collaboration with Karl Hyde. Listening to it now. It's weird. Kind of an electro-funk feel. I think I generally like it though.
I haven't heard that one... worth checking out?
It's different, but I like it. Sort of a modern electronica take on Talking Heads.

Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Epignosis wrote:Hello everyone. I'm Epignosis, the Mod for this game. If you feel the need to vent, or if something else is bothering you, that's what I'm here for. In addition, if you would like to tell me how much Brian Eno blows, I will be willing to listen to that as well. Thank you and have fun!
This post pisses me off somehow. :mad:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Epignosis wrote:Hello everyone. I'm Epignosis, the Mod for this game. If you feel the need to vent, or if something else is bothering you, that's what I'm here for. In addition, if you would like to tell me how much Brian Eno blows, I will be willing to listen to that as well. Thank you and have fun!
I totally can't judge Eno. I know some of his work, and the only album I actually got I hated, so I was turned off.

I promise that during the course of this game, I will listen to more, be better informed, and stop being a troll. :D
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Epignosis wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
I totally can't judge Eno. I know some of his work, and the only album I actually got I hated, so I was turned off.

I promise that during the course of this game, I will listen to more, be better informed, and stop being a troll. :D
:haha: Actually, I wasn't even talking about Eno at all. I was just playing on your comment about venting and frustration. :)

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Epignosis wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:

:haha: Actually, I wasn't even talking about Eno at all. I was just playing on your comment about venting and frustration. :)
Oh. lol
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 5

Post by S~V~S »

I AM talking about Eno.

I signed up to play, so I have no problems being a troll. I think Eno is boring~ he is an awesome collaborator/mentor. The Talking Heads did their best work under his wing. Maybe working with others tempers his overwhelming grandiosity. On his own, he's basically pretentious elevator music :shrug:

Trolling Achievement Points UNLOCKED Booyah!

*Crawls back under the bridge*
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Well, now we know who to lynch first.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Oh No!

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

The troll has made the sock sad with its hatred of Eno. :(
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote:I AM talking about Eno.

I signed up to play, so I have no problems being a troll. I think Eno is boring~ he is an awesome collaborator/mentor. The Talking Heads did their best work under his wing. Maybe working with others tempers his overwhelming grandiosity. On his own, he's basically pretentious elevator music :shrug:

Trolling Achievement Points UNLOCKED Booyah!

*Crawls back under the bridge*
I can see how you could think his ambient music is boring (although I disagree) but have you heard his rock stuff, like from his first solo album, Here Come the Warm Jets?

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I listened to it this morning while writing PMs, getting ready for work, etc. I must say, I did like it better than the ambient. It is not really my favorite style of music, but I liked it enough to listen to the whole thing. It was Bowie-esque enough to catch my attention, but different enough to hold it. I don't think I will get the album, but "Babys on Fire" may or may not make one of my playlists; it was retro-rocky (and guitar rock is also not usually my favorite) but also quirky which I rather liked.
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 12
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

Urgh this so tempting. But I'm so buuuuusy.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Here Come the Warm Jets is awesome. :srsnod:

Mongoose wrote:Urgh this so tempting. But I'm so buuuuusy.
Do it. :noble:
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Busy having Thanksgiving with me, you mean.

insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Can't wait for this to start.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers/herself

Post by nijuukyugou »

I shall play!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

insertnamehere wrote:Can't wait for this to start.
Me too!

:guitar:
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Halfway full! Yay!

And I bought two new ENo records over the weekend to help inspire me (Small Craft on a Milk Sea and Music For Films 2)

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:
This is for sure only 6/6?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
Would I lie about a thing like that?

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
Would I lie about a thing like that?
Well I didn't think so... until you said that.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

thellama73 wrote:It's a shame that ambient music has come to mean those trite meditation CDs when Eno's work is so profound and beautiful. Plateaux of Mirrors is definitely one of his best.
Ambient is not dead!
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

Mongoose wrote:Sign up with me, MattmatT?
I guess I can give it a try. :biggrin:
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Doodle?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage