Parks & Recreation

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Parks & Recreation

Post by Tangrowth »

Why is there not a thread for this already?

So Daisy and I watched the Season 7 premiere earlier today. What did other people think of it, out of curiosity?
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Parks & Recreation

Post by Dom »

I thought it as funny, but it did not feel like the same show. I was annoyed we did not learn the triplets' names, that we didn't see the park that Leslie built for Ann, and annoyed that April is having a mid-life crisis at 29 for no reason. . . it was very out of character, contrived, and felt like a cop-out plot to give her-- especially since they're obviously setting up for a pregnancy for her and we've already seen the conception (on the table in the house they bought). I thought their hiding that was only kidding by a razor thin piece of wax paper.

However, I found it quite funny. Andy felt really true to himself, as did Jerry/Larry/Terry/Barry. Tom upstaging Ben felt extremely forced-- especially since he does not work for the government anymore. However, I laughed a lot when Ben did read the planned speech.

I find the Leslie/Ron dynamic funny, but without knowing what Morningstar is-- I can't help but say it seems like they ran out of ideas for conflict.

It's hard to watch Parks and Rec without the Parks and Recreation-- ya know?
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Lots of good points, Dom.

I found myself extremely disappointed. It wasn't an absolutely terrible episode by all means, but I found myself disappointed in the way they've handled this new storyline for similar reasons.

I thought the Ron/Leslie dynamic was the most disappointing; it seemed completely forced and contrary to the last 6 seasons of their friendship and relationship of mutual respect despite differing fundamentally on politics.

I also feel the 2 year skip was unnecessary and I'm left wondering what show I was watching for most of the episode.

I agree entirely with your sentiment that it's not really Parks and Rec without the Parks and Recreation.
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Lots of good points, Dom.

I found myself extremely disappointed. It wasn't an absolutely terrible episode by all means, but I found myself disappointed in the way they've handled this new storyline for similar reasons.

I thought the Ron/Leslie dynamic was the most disappointing; it seemed completely forced and contrary to the last 6 seasons of their friendship and relationship of mutual respect despite differing fundamentally on politics.

I also feel the 2 year skip was unnecessary and I'm left wondering what show I was watching for most of the episode.

I agree entirely with your sentiment that it's not really Parks and Rec without the Parks and Recreation.
The two year skip was entirely so they would not have to show Amy pregnant.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dom wrote:

Ah, that's a good point. I'm sure it was!
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Dom wrote:

Ah, that's a good point. I'm sure it was!
She was actually pregnant during a couple of the seasons and they hid it well, I'm sure they didn't want to do the reverse. lol

TBH, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season, but I'm nervous. I'm also annoyed with how futurisitic everything is apparently gonna be in 2017
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

Haven't seen it yet. :(
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Canucklehead »

I'm LOVING this season, though I think most of it is because every time they fall back on one of the series' staple jokes/bit characters (Tammy! Treat yo'self! Dr. Richard Nygard!) half of me is laughing uproariously, and half of me is super sad that this is essentially a season-long curtain call for all of those running gags, and so I'm just going to fucking enjoy it no matter how absurd and low-stakes the "conflicts" are. :shrug: I think this season has actually so far struck a really good balance between the funnies, the sweetness that is really the heart of this show (disclaimer: I cried more than a little bit during "Ron and Leslie"), and doing a fair amount of "fan service" that nonetheless doesn't feel over the top.
Also, I think they're handling the 2017 thing really well. Apart from the projection tablets/wristwatches/phones and the (purposely, I think) overly on the nose Gryzzl thing (which looks like it's pretty much wrapped up now anyway), all the "This is the future!!!1!11" jokes are actually hilarious and subtle. Elton John buying Chik-fil-a? Jaden Smith starring in Hitch 2: Son of a Hitch? LeBron going back to Miami? Elbow art becoming a thing? It's just such a mundane version of the "future", and now that the first big conflict of the season is all wrapped up in a nice bow and the gang is all back together, I think the next half is going to very much put the Parks and Rec/workplace aspects back in place.

I love this fucking show. I'm going to miss it so much. :(
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

OK, so I've caught up and will admit my fears were pretty much totally unfounded. I still don't really like the first episode, but WOW how each episode following up until Leslie & Ron went up in quality. I loved Leslie & Ron so much. And the episodes since then have also been excellent.
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer

Post by Canucklehead »

I mean, a show that includes both mini-ninjas AND a cute puppy attack in a single episode can really do no wrong in my book.

"Appointment for Jonathan Karate"

"I don't see any Jonathan Karate here..."

"Exactly".

:ninja:
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

I have loved every single episode since the first. When Leslie sang "We Didn't Start The Fire", I was in stitches.

I don't now what I'm going to do without this show.
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

Dom wrote:I have loved every single episode since the first. When Leslie sang "We Didn't Start The Fire", I was in stitches.

I don't now what I'm going to do without this show.

I watched that scene 5x!! Logan can attest that I always sing that when drunk.

I REALLY AM Leslie Knope!!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

Can we talk about Leslie calling 867-5309 over 100 times? And the voicemail Ben left Kathryn Haan's character...?

Because that gives me life.
Zombarella
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Zombarella »

MovingPictures07 wrote:OK, so I've caught up and will admit my fears were pretty much totally unfounded. I still don't really like the first episode, but WOW how each episode following up until Leslie & Ron went up in quality. I loved Leslie & Ron so much. And the episodes since then have also been excellent.
I'm glad you watched the rest of the episodes. They really did get better and better. Hahahaha, she called it 100 times.
Turnip Head wrote:I for one welcome our new zombie and llama overlords. May their reign be long, and may their cases always be on point.
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer

Post by Canucklehead »

I don't think there is anything in the world more satisfying than the fact that MRAs were chosen as the butt of one of the final political satire plots in Parks and Rec history. It was a high point of my year to see those turds so evisceratingly dismissed by Knope/Poehler

"You're ridiculous. Men's Rights is nothing" Total deadpan. Fuck yeah, Leslie.
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

Dom wrote:Can we talk about Leslie calling 867-5309 over 100 times? And the voicemail Ben left Kathryn Haan's character...?

Because that gives me life.
I love her so much. I like that she has a binder-maker on retainer in DC. That sounds like me so much. The day I watched the ep, I had made two (2) binders at work that very day.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer

Post by Canucklehead »

It's over.
:sigh:
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

Canucklehead wrote:I don't think there is anything in the world more satisfying than the fact that MRAs were chosen as the butt of one of the final political satire plots in Parks and Rec history. It was a high point of my year to see those turds so evisceratingly dismissed by Knope/Poehler

"You're ridiculous. Men's Rights is nothing" Total deadpan. Fuck yeah, Leslie.
I KNOW I LOVED THIS SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH OH MY GOD I WAS LITERALLY SCREAMING AT THE TV LIKE MERYL WAS AT PATRICIA ARQUETE AT THE OSCARS.

(also the ending was perfect)
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

What did everyone think of the final three episodes?
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

I loved every second of this season after that first episode.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dom wrote:I loved every second of this season after that first episode.
Same here. A perfect ending episode too.
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
A lot of people are complaining about how everyone ended up being so successful, and it doesn't bother me at all. Honestly, the show was unique in its positivity and optimism. It only fits that it ends on such a note.
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer

Post by Canucklehead »

Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
A lot of people are complaining about how everyone ended up being so successful, and it doesn't bother me at all. Honestly, the show was unique in its positivity and optimism. It only fits that it ends on such a note.
This, 100%.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Lol, that's a pretty stupid criticism, IMO. I agree with you.

Return to “Tinsel Town”