29%

Total votes: 14
timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 61

Re: [Day 0]: Film Directors.

Post by timmer »

Long Con wrote:What's not to enjoy about Braveheart? :confused:
It's just so... aw fuck it. We all have films we love that others hate, I suppose. I'll let it pass. This time. :mafia:
My siggie.
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 322

Post by Ricochet »

Long Con wrote:
I have never seen Casablanca. I don't like old movies, I like modern ones. I saw Citizen Kane at some point, and I don't really remember a single frame of it, I just know it bored me. I saw Gone With The Wind recently, and I enjoyed Rhett Butler's character, disliked the main chick, and just didn't feel immersed or invested in the storyline all that much.
I usually feel the same about the "Golden Age" Hollywood and old, cheap Sci-Fi movies. At least in case of the latter, I realize it's probably because of being fed too much blockbuster CGI these past decades.
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 366
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Long Con wrote:
Dom wrote:*is definitely a film pleb*
Then there needs to be a lower status.

I have never seen Casablanca. I don't like old movies, I like modern ones. I saw Citizen Kane at some point, and I don't really remember a single frame of it, I just know it bored me. I saw Gone With The Wind recently, and I enjoyed Rhett Butler's character, disliked the main chick, and just didn't feel immersed or invested in the storyline all that much.

In a game such as this, where it seems that so many of you have such a deep respect and admiration for these artsy directors whose movies I will never see, and whose names I will never remember.

My top movie of all time is The Matrix, I think that is the most perfect movie I have seen. Second and third are Braveheart and Aliens.
I like The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, mainly because they capture the novels quite well (the latter more than the former). I also like The Green Mile and Dead Poet's Society, and that's about it.

Banners and Stuff
Spoiler: show
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Ricochet wrote:
Long Con wrote:
I usually feel the same about the "Golden Age" Hollywood and old, cheap Sci-Fi movies. At least in case of the latter, I realize it's probably because of being fed too much blockbuster CGI these past decades.

What's CGI?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
Long Con wrote:

What's CGI?
Computer-generated imagery.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 278

Post by S~V~S »

Ricochet wrote:
Long Con wrote:
Oh I love all those bad sci fi movies, Plan 9 etc, and movies with the underwater scenes shot through fishbowls. I love them mainly in a MST3K kind of way, but even without Tom Servo and Crow, I appreciate the imagination that went into them. But yeah, the CGI gets more real every year.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

S~V~S wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
Long Con wrote:
Oh I love all those bad sci fi movies, Plan 9 etc, and movies with the underwater scenes shot through fishbowls. I love them mainly in a MST3K kind of way, but even without Tom Servo and Crow, I appreciate the imagination that went into them. But yeah, the CGI gets more real every year.
I'm not very good with bad or "so bad it's good" movies, either. I watched once a MST3K take on Space Mutiny, together with Matt, and recently we have a friend over for New Year's Eve who's a fan and showed us some killer American educational shorts parodies. I also watch the Best of the Worst series made by the Red Letter Media guys (the ones with the Plinkett reviews).

I meant SF films more like The Day the Earth Stood Still, Andromeda Strain, Dark Star, The Man Who Fell on Earth (even if it stars a totally, yet typically cuckoo David Bowie). Incidentally, my favourite such movie so far would be a rather esoteric Czech movie called Ikarie XB-1, because looks like a bootleg Star Trek episode, but it's also more existential underneath.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Also, this poll (and Voopy's list) lacks Jahar Panahi.
Vompatti
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 82

Post by Vompatti »

thellama73 wrote:
sabie12 wrote:Gahhhhh so hard to chooooose!!!! I guess I am a big fan of Lord of the Rings so I'll go with good ol' Peter Jackson but it was a tough choice.
Have you seen Dead Alive? It is his best work. (hi Sabie!)
ture :srsnod:
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 352

Post by thellama73 »

Ricochet wrote:
S~V~S wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
Long Con wrote:
I'm not very good with bad or "so bad it's good" movies, either. I watched once a MST3K take on Space Mutiny, together with Matt, and recently we have a friend over for New Year's Eve who's a fan and showed us some killer American educational shorts parodies. I also watch the Best of the Worst series made by the Red Letter Media guys (the ones with the Plinkett reviews).

I meant SF films more like The Day the Earth Stood Still, Andromeda Strain, Dark Star, The Man Who Fell on Earth (even if it stars a totally, yet typically cuckoo David Bowie). Incidentally, my favourite such movie so far would be a rather esoteric Czech movie called Ikarie XB-1, because looks like a bootleg Star Trek episode, but it's also more existential underneath.
The man who fell to earth is utterly horrible. It is my least favorite movie of all time.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Also, Long COn, Aliens is the second greats sci-fi/action movie ever after Terminator @, so good choice there, and Metalmarsh, I agree that the Green Mile is pretty good. I liked the ord of the Rings films (a surprsing amount of practical effects as opposed to CGI in those) but didn't like the Hobbit at all. I generally don't like CGI much because it looks so fake and takes so little imagination on the part of the filmmakers, and I feel like it often comes at the expense of story (looking at you, Michael Bay!).
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

thellama73 wrote:Also, Long COn, Aliens is the second greats sci-fi/action movie ever after Terminator @, so good choice there, and Metalmarsh, I agree that the Green Mile is pretty good. I liked the ord of the Rings films (a surprsing amount of practical effects as opposed to CGI in those) but didn't like the Hobbit at all. I generally don't like CGI much because it looks so fake and takes so little imagination on the part of the filmmakers, and I feel like it often comes at the expense of story (looking at you, Michael Bay!).
Agreed. There were many moments in the Hobbit that were entirely too ridiculous (like Legosas stair-hopping in slo-mo), and didn't suit the nature of the film at all. I cringed a few times watching it.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Ricochet wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
Long Con wrote:

What's CGI?
Computer-generated imagery.
Duly noted.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

thellama73 wrote:(looking at you, Michael Bay!)
Well he must be somewhere around here. :ninja:
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 67

Post by A Person »

Ricochet wrote:
He's probably just waiting for the thread to blow up.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

A Person wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
Voting for Walt Disney might just do it.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
A Person wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
It would certainly make it more animated.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

A Person wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
A Person wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
But everyone would be back alive the next day after being killed.
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

thellama73 wrote:
sabie12 wrote:Gahhhhh so hard to chooooose!!!! I guess I am a big fan of Lord of the Rings so I'll go with good ol' Peter Jackson but it was a tough choice.
Have you seen Dead Alive? It is his best work. (hi Sabie!)

Hi Llama! I'm still alive haha. Ooooo a zombie movie. I'll have to check it out. I do love me some zombies. Shaun of the Dead is my favorite.
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 259

Post by Dom »

A Person wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
A Person wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
We need a Smiley for a drum set.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I'm too much of a scaredy cat to watch horror. Although I did watch the Babadook recently, due to hype.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

You mean this? :drums:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 259

Post by Dom »

Ricochet wrote:I'm too much of a scaredy cat to watch horror. Although I did watch the Babadook recently, due to hype.
I quite enjoyed that film until the end when it went off the deep end.
Metalmarsh89 wrote:You mean this? :drums:
I mean like a drum kit doing the funny noise things ya know ya???
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

Ricochet wrote:
A Person wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
A Person wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
But everyone would be back alive the next day after being killed.
Not if they're deer to you.
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 205
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

I'm staying home sick from work today.

Enjoy yourselves, and try not to trash the place.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 124
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Who still hasn't checked in?
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Mongoose wrote:I'm staying home sick from work today.

Enjoy yourselves, and try not to trash the place.
i understand, it would make me sick too :hug:
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Who still hasn't checked in?
I'm a little too loopy and headachey to match up the numbers, but it's 5 players. I'll give them another day and then post Day 1 tomorrow.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Dom wrote:
A Person wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
A Person wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
We need a Smiley for a drum set.
:drums:

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Drat, I didn't see that there was another page of posts and I was beaten to the punch. Disregard.

sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

Ricochet wrote:I'm too much of a scaredy cat to watch horror. Although I did watch the Babadook recently, due to hype.
Horror is fun to watch with friends when you can make fun of it together. If only I had friends... sigh haha :sigh:
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

sabie12 wrote:
Horror is fun to watch with friends when you can make fun of it together. If only I had friends... sigh haha :sigh:
I don't have friends either. I only have a girlfriend who will not tolerate nightmare-inducing cinematic experiences.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

I'm looking for a replacement; here is your chance to get your friend in on the action.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:I'm looking for a replacement; here is your chance to get your friend in on the action.
Can I be the replacement and have two roles?

nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman
Posts in topic: 25
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers/herself

Post by nijuukyugou »

Hello, sorry for the late check-in! I'll catch up a bit later, but I figured I'd at least vote.

So many choices :huh: Lots of directors that I've seen one, maybe two of their films, but not enough to call them my favorite. Call me uncultured or what you will with your opinions and thoughts and things of that sort, but I pretty consistently like Steven Spielberg films, so let's go with that.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lizzy
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Lizzy »

Oh hai I have no idea what isa going on bercause I am drunk and have no laptop atm k. It might take a few days before I can buy a new onbe k :* and I like nolan k and arronofsky buttt hour's nut there k :(
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

gmomogmogogmogmmogmogom itt'zz teh lizz :eek: :hugs:

Image Image Image
Lizzy
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Lizzy »

Onfisdhaf vonmopsha
Made
Hitman
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Made »

Friends? Hello friends! No clue who i want to vote for yet( no Tarentino :( ), but I'm happy to be here!!
Pov: you reading my takes
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

We are happy to have you here, Made!

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I'm gonna play chill this game, like a cool cat, daddio. Is that groovy with everyone?

Made
Hitman

Post by Made »

thellama73 wrote:I'm gonna play chill this game, like a cool cat, daddio. Is that groovy with everyone?
I just finished Invisible Man(ellison), and need to break in the funky dialect, keep it Jazzy. Ya know pops?
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Made wrote:
thellama73 wrote:I'm gonna play chill this game, like a cool cat, daddio. Is that groovy with everyone?
I just finished Invisible Man(ellison), and need to break in the funky dialect, keep it Jazzy. Ya know pops?
I like the part in that where the scientist turns invisible and can't find a way to turn back.

Black Rock
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 66

Post by Black Rock »

I think I forgot to post in this game. I'm going to decide who to vote for now.
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Certainly.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Made
Hitman

Post by Made »

thellama73 wrote:
Made wrote:
I like the part in that where the scientist turns invisible and can't find a way to turn back.
I said ellison tho.
timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 61

Post by timmer »

It's groovy as long as you make sure not be a

My siggie.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Made wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
Made wrote:
I said ellison tho.
I don't remember what the scientist's name was. I just always called him "Dr. Invisible."

Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Spacedaisy »

I am here, I just haven't been in because this started right when my new job did. I'll try to catch up tomorrow evening.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
zeek
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 11

Post by zeek »

thellama73 wrote:
Made wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
Made wrote:
I said ellison tho.
I don't remember what the scientist's name was. I just always called him "Dr. Invisible."
:haha: :haha: :haha: This is amazing :haha: :haha: :haha:

Return to “Previous Jobs”