Video Game Discussion

Enter Apollo Square and interact with other video gamers.

Moderator: Community Team

Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 16
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Video Game Discussion

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

I took a break for a few months after starting Mother 3 but now I'm back and finishing it soon.

It's a masterpiece. Probably better than Earthbound even.
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

Earthbound and Mother 3 are just games you are highly recommended to play if you love RPGs
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 20

Post by Epignosis »

I tried Earthbound once. I couldn't get into it. Sell me on it. Why would I love it?
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Quin »

Epignosis wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:38 pm I tried Earthbound once. I couldn't get into it. Sell me on it. Why would I love it?
I thought it was decent, but not something you absolutely need to play. It's got good humor from what I can remember though. Also good if you're looking for an non(obvious)-fantasy RPG with decent length.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Epignosis wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:38 pm I tried Earthbound once. I couldn't get into it. Sell me on it. Why would I love it?
It's different enough to be worth playing. But most people don't actually love it. I didn't.

The humor is smart and different (dialogue, enemies, plot are all pretty funny), the gameplay feels fresh at some points despite being a SNES game (though it feels really outdated at other points).

The first half is really hard so if you want hard RPGs it can provide that. Sadly it loses all difficulty once you gain access to the game's main weapons.

And it's the prequel for Mother 3, which is Earthbound with an actual good plot.
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

You guys like platformers reminiscent of the golden days of flash?

Then may i suggest trying out Squirm on the Steam market place. It's difficult with a simple but effective soundtrack. and just enough mystery about it's world to keep you wondering what exactly is going on. It's only $1 and sometimes even goes on sale for half off. a great way to burn off 3-4 hours of time if you so choose :D
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

So I'm not sure if anyone's heard about it, but GameFAQs is holding a Character Battle.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/features/cbx

It's a contest thing where 136 characters fight in popularity polls, and you get to make brackets to bet on them. If you live in USA/Canada you might also win money.

It kind of reminds me of Smashfest except it's poll-based instead of video-based. Actually when I first saw Smashfest I was like "it's character battle but with videos!" (I've been participating those things since 2006).

Anyway, just advertising because it's a nerdy thing I want to share.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

So I'm playing A Hat in Time, and it's incredible.

[mention]speedchuck[/mention]
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Also I got to the Battle of the Birds chapter and I'm still not convinced that thing in your avatar is not a lizard.

(I mean what the hell is it)
karavalenge
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 1

Post by karavalenge »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:10 am So I'm not sure if anyone's heard about it, but GameFAQs is holding a Character Battle.

It's a contest thing where 136 characters fight in popularity polls, and you get to make brackets to bet on them. If you live in USA/Canada you might also win money.

It kind of reminds me of Smashfest except it's poll-based instead of video-based. Actually when I first saw Smashfest I was like "it's character battle but with videos!" (I've been participating those things since 2006).

They're still doing this? Geez, I remember it from at least 10-11 years ago.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

karavalenge wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:22 pm
Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:10 am So I'm not sure if anyone's heard about it, but GameFAQs is holding a Character Battle.

They're still doing this? Geez, I remember it from at least 10-11 years ago.
Yeah, they do it less often but they do it.

I've been kind of addicted to this one. Been playing side betting games on the forum and making predictions. They even have a podcast about it.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 9

Post by speedchuck »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:36 pm Also I got to the Battle of the Birds chapter and I'm still not convinced that thing in your avatar is not a lizard.

Oh I just saw this. Glad you're enjoying it! I have my small quibbles with the game, particularly the DLC, but it oozes charm and the Conductor is perfect.

My headcanon is that he's a chocobo, but that doesn't explain the lack of eyes. Or really anything about him.

Just wait, though, the other best character is in the third world.
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

speedchuck wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:35 pm
Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:36 pm Also I got to the Battle of the Birds chapter and I'm still not convinced that thing in your avatar is not a lizard.

Oh I just saw this. Glad you're enjoying it! I have my small quibbles with the game, particularly the DLC, but it oozes charm and the Conductor is perfect.

My headcanon is that he's a chocobo, but that doesn't explain the lack of eyes. Or really anything about him.

Just wait, though, the other best character is in the third world.
I just beat the game, actually. Only the DLC is left.

Great game.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

No spoilers, but Undertale just got a free sequel/prequel/demo/game/survey thing.

I have no idea how long it is, whether it's a complete product, or anything else. It just came out, and I don't think anyone has completed it enough to say. I'll be avoiding all spoilers. But hey, if you're an Undertale fan, it's worth your time just for the interactive story bits I've hit so far.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Piranha Plant is the hero I did know I needed.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

speedchuck wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:06 am No spoilers, but Undertale just got a free sequel/prequel/demo/game/survey thing.

I have no idea how long it is, whether it's a complete product, or anything else. It just came out, and I don't think anyone has completed it enough to say. I'll be avoiding all spoilers. But hey, if you're an Undertale fan, it's worth your time just for the interactive story bits I've hit so far.
This explains a lot:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqn3p9
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Thanks for that. I would have been very confused.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Shovel Knight is good.

Persona 5 is really, really good and I want to make a mafia game out of it.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Bass_the_Clever
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Bass_the_Clever »

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I finally got to play hollow knight. I can say is wow what a great experience. Loved everything from the music, art and game design.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
acrosstheaether wrote:If Bass_the_Clever is mafia, he is a clever mafia.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Bass_the_Clever wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:33 pm Sorry I'm late to the party, but I finally got to play hollow knight. I can say is wow what a great experience. Loved everything from the music, art and game design.
I love that game so much. I'll probably end up replaying it, maybe finishing the Grimm Troupe and Godhome dlc
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Just downloaded this:

It's going to be hard to focus on important things now.

[mention]speedchuck[/mention]
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:04 pm It's going to be hard to focus on important things now.

@speedchuck
Hoo, yes. I need to get back into that game. The music for the new levels is phenominal.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

speedchuck wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:39 pm
Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:04 pm It's going to be hard to focus on important things now.

speedchuck
Hoo, yes. I need to get back into that game. The music for the new levels is phenominal.
The new level is phenomenal. I just played some of it.

It's huge. It's similar to the Alpine Skyline level, with open ended exploration, but instead of a bunch of open areas, it's dozens of tunnels where you climb walls, walk over trains, etc. Unlike Alpine Skyline though, it has an actual plot, which progresses as you pick up the time pieces.

And everything feels so cool and fresh. There are more clothes and hats in this level to buy than in the rest of the game combined, tens of stickers you need to find, as well as jokes involving yakuza, food, social media and a bunch of other random stuff. I had over 3k pons which I collected from the first playthrough and I spent almost all of it in one hour just to buy some of the new customization items.

So far this level is right up with the best ones of the main game. Though I hear some people were disappointed because it doesn't have an actual boss battle in the end. Whatever.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Control is SO good holy shit
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I know Mechwarriors 5 is due to come out next month. Yes, I am excited. Yes, I'm even more excited that it's a single player game.

However, I am still sad that my Mechwarriors 4 games don't work on Windows 10 and even now won't play on my old Windows 7 PC (it used to work fine years ago, but now it won't start at all).

I declare I am going to buy a damn cheap PC with Windows XP on it and scratch my Mechwarriors 4 Mercenaries itch. Screw the kids' Christmas. :srsnod:
boo
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by boo »

Epignosis wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:38 pm I know Mechwarriors 5 is due to come out next month. Yes, I am excited. Yes, I'm even more excited that it's a single player game.

However, I am still sad that my Mechwarriors 4 games don't work on Windows 10 and even now won't play on my old Windows 7 PC (it used to work fine years ago, but now it won't start at all).

I declare I am going to buy a damn cheap PC with Windows XP on it and scratch my Mechwarriors 4 Mercenaries itch. Screw the kids' Christmas. :srsnod:
If you have it installed on your Win10 machine you should just be able to Compatibility Mode it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/hel ... compatible
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

boo wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:15 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:38 pm I know Mechwarriors 5 is due to come out next month. Yes, I am excited. Yes, I'm even more excited that it's a single player game.

If you have it installed on your Win10 machine you should just be able to Compatibility Mode it:

It isn't that simple. There's an entire thread (still current) devoted to this task:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechwarrior/co ... indows_10/
boo
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by boo »

Epignosis wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:53 pm
boo wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:15 pm

It isn't that simple. There's an entire thread (still current) devoted to this task:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechwarrior/co ... indows_10/
Ah bummer. Yea, that's quite the workaround they've come up, but M$ has a tendency to unintentionally break that kind of stuff with every update they push, which based on the update feed does seem to be the case here. And unless it's better than it used to be, having Direct Play is a pretty big redflag to me that you'll wind up spending more time trying to make the damn thing work than actually playing. Plus he suggests using virtualbox and setting up an XP VM there, which I don't like because virtualbox is pretty garbage (I mean, free, so that's nice. but for a damn good reason).
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.

Return to “Apollo Square”