Let's have fun and address the unfunness of mafia!

Kick back and relax at The Lounge, where you can discuss any other matter related to mafia games or The Syndicate. Mafia game strategists, look no further!

Moderator: Community Team

Canucklehead
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 2

Let's have fun and address the unfunness of mafia!

Post by Canucklehead »

I don't think I'm alone (though please correct me if I am) in noticing that there has been a significant increase in the level of snark, snappiness, grumpiness, and general un-funnability of several recent games on this site (and for the value of "recent" here, please substitute "in the last year or so"). To put it bluntly, I cannot think of a recent game that I've played that wasn't marked by a significant episode of nastiness, passive aggressiveness, and general unpleasantness, or where people didn't quit or threaten to quit because of this unpleasantness. Can we talk as a community about why this is, what we're seeing, what might be the cause, and (more importantly) what we can DO about it?

I know there are many of you who probably don't see or haven't experienced this issue. If so, that's fantastic for you. I'm (honestly) super happy that you are able to shrug it off as "All within the game". But I think it is undeniable that there are many people who aren't able to do so, or who feel they shouldn't HAVE to keep shrugging stuff off until their shoulders are sore. These people are quitting games, or losing interest (and thus not participating fully in games), or considering leaving the site and community entirely. I'm one of those people.

I am leaving the specifics of my issue/complaint/observation purposefully vague as I don't want this to become a thread for finger-pointing and name-calling and even more unpleasantness, nor do I think it would be useful to talk about specific incidents or games (I think this is an issue with a changing site culture, not an issue with any specific game or player). However, I DO want to make it clear that I fully and without caveat admit that I can definitely be part of the problem. Snark comes more quickly to my lips than I am proud to admit, and so I enter this discussion in full acknowledgement of my own complicity in the problem, and with a good faith intention to address it productively in the hopes of salvaging something that, when it works right, can be really awesome.

We all know and profess and endlessly repeat the adage that "It's not personal, it's mafia"... but for whatever reason, those words seem to be failing to prevent a serious souring of the community. The MoD function is a great step towards addressing this problem, but (imho) it keeps issues in the background, and prevents a (necessary) community-wide discussion of something that is growing and troubling. Mafia used to be super fun, and this site used to be a haven of good times, happy, laid back folks. I honestly don't think that is necessarily the case anymore (for me and for other people). I want to work with you all to fix it. Can you help?
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Let's have fun and address the unfunness of mafia!

Post by thellama73 »

This is something we in the Mod community have noticed and are trying hard to address. It's why we are encouraging greater use of the Mod on Duty function to allow players to get out their frustrations out of thread. We all get that mafia is a stressful, emotional game that involves lying and manipulation, but we're trying to strike a balance between not being overly authoritarian with our players and fostering a friendly, happy environment for people who want to play games.

I think a lot of the problem comes from misunderstandings, where people from different mafia cultures mix. Something that one group of players will find harmless can be offensive to others. Talking it out through the MoD can really help alleviate this. One thing I've been very conscious about avoiding is a situation where the first person to take offense is automatically right, but at the same time we don't want people to feel like their feelings don't matter. We have to do a better job of understanding each other, being sensitive to when we're coming on too strong, and trying to get where the other person is coming from.

I'm open to suggestions about how we can better deal with this issue, because we really want everyone to have as good a time as possible..
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I will also say that I feel like talking about this with the other MoDs has helped me improve a lot in this regard, as I have been known to be an offender from time to time. Dealing with it from the other side really puts things in perspective, and has helped me think before typing and let me learn when to walk away. I still have a ways to go, but I think it's important to acknowledge thta none of us is immune from outbursts and we could all do better.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer

Post by Canucklehead »

I'm super glad to hear that the Mods are taking this seriously (and had no doubt that that was the case), but I'm also a really strong proponent of just talking shit out, taking it out of the backrooms and the PMs and getting it into the open. I think the Mods do a fantastic job here (I really, really do), but I think that issues of site culture (which this is) can only be satisfactorily addressed by having the internet forum equivalent of a big, fat, family meeting. We need to talk about this as a community, I think. Remind each other that we all actually really like and respect each other. Call each other out when we're not living up to being the kind of friends/players/opponents we expect (and deserve) each other to be. I think the MoD function works brilliantly in the heat of the moment, but I think the missing component thus far is the community actually sitting down (metaphorically speaking) and fucking talking it out. Passive aggressiveness breeds more passive aggressiveness. Snark breeds more (and nastier) snark. Talking honestly and openly breeds understanding. I don't want to be stepping on Mod toes, or overlooking or discounting the work that you're all doing, but I just wanted a space where I could say what I'm seeing, and talk to people about it. Hence this thread. :)

Also, this needs to becomes everyone's siggy:
thellama73 wrote: We have to do a better job of understanding each other, being sensitive to when we're coming on too strong, and trying to get where the other person is coming from.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Epignosis »

It's because people lie. And people accuse others of lying.

None of that's polite.

If I accuse you of not paying attention, and you feel like you have been paying attention, that might be a strategy I use to make you second guess yourself, make you question your awareness. But you might think I'm being rude.

None of that's nice.

My greatest losses came from people emotionally manipulating me. Emotional manipulation isn't nice, and it doesn't feel good, but it's a part of the game. So if I say "I don't care that your house exploded, you're bad," it's not be being rude. Sorry about the house, but you're bad.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Golden »

It's a difficult situation to address 'in public' I think, and the reason why is because, fundamentally, I don't think games are 'objectively' less fun.

I think we all wear down on the funness of mafia at different points and for different reasons. It's a combination of feeling like particular individuals are too aggressive, our own life stresses, how overstretched we've made ourselves, how much we have individually been suspected. Probably other things too.

I don't personally feel like the games I've been playing in on the Syndicate have been 'not fun' - in fact I've enjoyed all of them. This isn't because I'm impervious to mafia not being fun, after all I did just come back after a break of three whole years because I burned out on it. I think it's just because we have different tolerances at different times, and right now clearly you are feeling it (and I think you are right that you are not alone).

The reason the use of mods is the most important thing is because individuals will find the game unfun at different times and for different reasons. We do, as a site, need to deal appropriately with behaviour that is objectively asshattery. But it can be difficult to find a line between that and there being no sacred cows. Because the moment there are sacred cows (like, for instance, "I said I'm not enjoying this game, so what do you expect from me") that we can't discuss in thread, is the moment mafia use those sacred cows to manipulate others into not voting for them. It's a challenging paradox.

For what it's worth, I know that in the past I have helped others have less fun, and this time around I'm making a concerted effort to hopefully help everyone have fun. I think there is a lot we can achieve in our tone, in not having strict tunnel vision, and in explaining our thoughts in a friendly way which allows even those being suspected to genuinely know it isn't personal and to still enjoy the game even when they are having to fight for their life.
Last edited by Golden on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

That is eloquent beyond belief. Reflects my view perfectly.

Yes, even that last paragraph.
Marmot
Marmot
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Canucklehead wrote:I'm super glad to hear that the Mods are taking this seriously (and had no doubt that that was the case), but I'm also a really strong proponent of just talking shit out, taking it out of the backrooms and the PMs and getting it into the open. I think the Mods do a fantastic job here (I really, really do), but I think that issues of site culture (which this is) can only be satisfactorily addressed by having the internet forum equivalent of a big, fat, family meeting. We need to talk about this as a community, I think. Remind each other that we all actually really like and respect each other. Call each other out when we're not living up to being the kind of friends/players/opponents we expect (and deserve) each other to be. I think the MoD function works brilliantly in the heat of the moment, but I think the missing component thus far is the community actually sitting down (metaphorically speaking) and fucking talking it out. Passive aggressiveness breeds more passive aggressiveness. Snark breeds more (and nastier) snark. Talking honestly and openly breeds understanding. I don't want to be stepping on Mod toes, or overlooking or discounting the work that you're all doing, but I just wanted a space where I could say what I'm seeing, and talk to people about it. Hence this thread. :)

Also, this needs to becomes everyone's siggy:
thellama73 wrote: We have to do a better job of understanding each other, being sensitive to when we're coming on too strong, and trying to get where the other person is coming from.
If we all understood each other, the civilians would win every game.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
unfurl
The Mark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by unfurl »

I dont play mafia all that much, cause Im eitheir busy with work or Im just not in the mood from other reasons

I think every player has a different set of what is fun-unfun for them
The whole name calling, people trying to make other seem they dont know anything, and they are superior and they know everything, are things that bother me
but some people seem to be ok with all those things, and they are not offended by it, and they use it more as a game strategy
so I guess to each their own

I have only played 2 games in this site, so maybe I just dont have a lot experience to be actually talking, in both of them I had fun

But recently, I read/skim around the games and as outside expectator
sometimes I think wow some hard core game/talk going there
and a little glad Im not playing, but maybe is just my perspective, maybe it will be different it I was playing it, dont know
I do try to growth a thicker skin whenever I play :P
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I think alot of it is that the culture here has become somewhat more about winning than about playing the game. That may be an oversimplification, we had lots of people whose primary focus was to win in the LP/RM/HV/TP culture, but "not killing the funny", not sucking the fun out of the others to feed your own, was more of a "thing".

Like not lynching the incapacitated, or not killing total nubs during the first cycle. Those were the norm, and done out of courtesy. Now those things seem to be seen as some sort of a weakness. Thats where the strong "anti-info" thing came from; baddies games were being ruined, through no fault of their own, and what fun is winning under those circumstances? It is no fun playing with civvies who seem to think they are dealing with actual baddies, lol. Even when I am not bad myself, maybe even MORE when i am not bad.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

S~V~S wrote:Like not lynching the incapacitated, or not killing total nubs during the first cycle. Those were the norm, and done out of courtesy. Now those things seem to be seen as some sort of a weakness.
I really agree with these things.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Golden wrote:
S~V~S wrote:Like not lynching the incapacitated, or not killing total nubs during the first cycle. Those were the norm, and done out of courtesy. Now those things seem to be seen as some sort of a weakness.
I don't. I think it's name calling, condescending attitudes, and general hatefulness that makes games unfun, not trying to win. If you say "I won't lynch silenced players" you encourage people to fake being silenced. I don't see how that make things more fun, and I don't see why civilians should have to let baddies live out of courtesy (but not the other way around) when baddies already win a majority of games on the site.

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I'll post something here, since we are doing it here, that I originally posted privately, although I have edited it a fair bit to avoid any specific references to individuals or games.
Golden wrote:It's great to have so many new members, but it is a problem if it significantly effects our culture.

I think we need to be thinking about what is the culture we are fostering here. Is it that you have to be willing to commit everything of yourself until the end? I don't think that's what the RM culture was and it's not what I feel like TS culture has been since I arrived either - it's much more laid back, a culture where mafia is an experience that you can relax and enjoy. I really don't want that to become an invalid perspective. Truth be told, if that is what all games were like, it would be very hard to sign up for more than one at once, which isn't how things are really set up either.

It's also ok that some games are too intense. I remember King Arthur on RM, posting competitions, omg, there have been times when it's been too intense for me. It's ok that it happens. I'm just worried about it becoming the norm. If a game is intense, I'd sooner it's because of the hosts design.

I'm just one voice here, and I'm ok being the one in the minority if that's how it is. But I think we should be standing up for TS being a place where mafia is something you can do to relax. We obviously can't control what individuals do from game to game, but I think we might be able to control the overall intensity levels.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I think we have room for a variety of styles. We have room for Vompatti and A Person, and we have room for more intense players. I tend to be intense, but sometimes I get tired of that and play a more laid back gams. I don't see any reason why everyone has to play the same way.

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

thellama73 wrote:
Golden wrote:
I don't. I think it's name calling, condescending attitudes, and general hatefulness that makes games unfun, not trying to win. If you say "I won't lynch silenced players" you encourage people to fake being silenced. I don't see how that make things more fun, and I don't see why civilians should have to let baddies live out of courtesy (but not the other way around) when baddies already win a majority of games on the site.
I agree with those things also. Condescending attitudes are awful, as is general hatefulness. And tbh, I thin people talk about baddies self silencing, etc., more than they actually do it, lol. I have never done it. And nothing is more frustrating than being lynched when you can't defend yourself.

Nothing.

But yeah, condescension & hatefulness are worse. I was just saying that I think the culture is more about winning than playing, and that was an example of such. And I think game design had a lot to do with our poor civvie record early on, I feel that it is evening out.

Linki~ YES!! I think occasional intensity is awesome, constant intensity is not. Ya gotta post some youtubes, some gifs, some OT occasionally to break the mood.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote: Linki~ YES!! I think occasional intensity is awesome, constant intensity is not. Ya gotta post some youtubes, some gifs, some OT occasionally to break the mood.
On this, we can agree. :)

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

thellama73 wrote:
Golden wrote:
Letting people live an extra day because they are silenced or because they are new has never, in the games I have played, led to a change in who ultimately wins. It just allows for a bit more respect and actually, I think, better decision making (newbies are liable to make themselves look bad when good on day one anyway, silenced people I'm ok lynching if they are clearly bad or have clearly had an opportunity to otherwise defend themselves and haven't been convincing, but if not you are lynching based on an incomplete picture). But ultimately SVS point is about 'what makes other people feel respected'.

I do agree that your examples are far more to blame, and honestly my view on not lynching silenced players depends on the place in the game - you know we had this philosophical debate in Biblical, but I just think there is usually time to let a game breathe.

BUT - what you have put your finger on, llama, is one example of exactly why this problem can never be 'solved'. What burns one person out, another person will feel is an unfair criticism.
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Golden wrote:
I don't really care if anyone thinks its a weakness. I still plan to do all those things. :)
thellama73 wrote:I don't. I think it's name calling, condescending attitudes, and general hatefulness that makes games unfun, not trying to win. If you say "I won't lynch silenced players" you encourage people to fake being silenced. I don't see how that make things more fun, and I don't see why civilians should have to let baddies live out of courtesy (but not the other way around) when baddies already win a majority of games on the site.
I know that I would not say I wouldn't lynch someone who is silenced. If I had a damn good reason to I absolutely would. If possible I just think its good form to give players time to defend.
Gro-oo-ovy
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Hey all! I think what has been said on this topic already I largely agree with, so I won't reinvent the wheel here.

I will just say that I enjoy games of varying intensity myself, but there are two aspects of intensity I want to highlight:

1) Intensity is almost always fun for me, but drama is never fun. Economics, for example, was one of the most intense games I ever played and one of the most fun, due to the fact that the very high intensity was not correlated with very high drama. Despite some initial culture clash and some occasional flares, every single player was able to respectfully play the game and in a very impressive fashion. While I know every single one of us was at times overwhelmed with the intensity of the game, I had an absolute blast, since everyone remained respectful and was willing to apologize when they had crossed the line (myself included), and it seemed as though many others who played felt the same.

2) Sometimes it's all about striking that magic balance between intensity and lightheartedness. I'll use Economics again here, since it had a ton of dead player chat, OT chat, as well as G-Man's infamous picture posting (which at times aggravated me in game, but was so HILARIOUS). While the game was intense, it wasn't without its fair share of goofiness, and that was much appreciated by me.
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

I should say, I play to have fun, and to me its fun to have a bunch of people around to play. I give new/ returning players a pass early on and cursed maybe for a cycle to encourage this, but I am not going to do it to a point to impact the game balance because then it makes it less fun for everyone else. In the end if I really think the person is bad, no amount of newness or cursedness will stop me from voting them.
Gro-oo-ovy
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

As usual, MP nails it. There's no reason why we can't play to win but also treat each other with respect. If we can do that, I think we will all have fun games.

Long Con
So Divine
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

thellama73 wrote:
Golden wrote:
Another point of view would be that these people make up the playing field. "Ok," you think, as a baddie, "I'm playing with S~V~S and Golden - I can play off their sympathies to make it through the next lynch by silencing myself!"

Is that so bad? Mafia isn't a computer game, it's an organic game that flows off innovation, emotion, deduction, deception, sympathy, betrayal... these are all currents that a winner has to ride, to steer true through, to reach the game's end. There is no one right way, it's a down-and-dirty, soul vs soul extravaganza! Each game is different, and not because of the setup the host provided, but because the players, who make up the most unpredictable part of the game, are always different.

Play the game you're in. KNOW the game you're in. Understand who else is playing, and outwit and outplay them. If not lynching silenced players is a weakness, then take advantage of it, or look for others who are doing it.

Maybe that's a bit off the central topic of un-funness, but not too far off. I have also contributed to un-funness before by having an emotional explosion, and I regret that, but I think I am more on the side of keeping things light and respectful. It is all a point of view. I recently cited "reading comprehension failure" when I was arguing with someone. Some people took it to mean "you are an idiot" but I just meant it more like "you failed to comprehend what I said, and here's how".
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

S~V~S wrote:Linki~ YES!! I think occasional intensity is awesome, constant intensity is not. Ya gotta post some youtubes, some gifs, some OT occasionally to break the mood.
And yet, I don't know if my Socky Award is meant to be endearing, or just a polite way of saying "shut the fuck up". :D

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
S~V~S wrote:Linki~ YES!! I think occasional intensity is awesome, constant intensity is not. Ya gotta post some youtubes, some gifs, some OT occasionally to break the mood.
And yet, I don't know if my Socky Award is meant to be endearing, or just a polite way of saying "shut the fuck up". :D
I think the reason why you won favorite spammer is you make a bunch of dead posts, but they are still funny and relevant without crossing the line.
Gro-oo-ovy
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)

Post by DharmaHelper »

The way I see it there is "Mafia DH" and "Regular DH". When I play mafia, I will do/say almost anything to get a win, particularly as a baddie. I do try to keep within good form though, and I think I do well with that a majority of the time. But I don't take anything I do or say in game out of the game, ever. I also have a very thick skin when it comes to things said in a game context. This is a game that by it's very nature relies heavily on confrontation, after all. But as I said, I tend to think that as long as everything is handled within the boundaries of a "gentleman's code" so to speak, I'm not too worked up about it. The rare times I have been worked up (and admittedly this has happened far more frequently on The Syndicate than anywhere else in my extensive mafia career.) Have been when those conflicts and confrontations break the fourth wall so to speak.

I can (and have) said my two cents on these issues in the past, and for my part I'm being very mindful of the games I sign up for and the players I interact with so as to avoid negativity. It's worked so far for me, but it's a double edged sword because mafia is something I'm very passionate about and I'd rather NOT have to police myself in such a way, at my own expense.

Circling back round to the topic at hand, I feel a lot of Canuck's frustrations. I think for the most part we're all very reasonable, mature individuals. The problem it seems to me is that there is very little distinction between the interactions players have in the games they sign up for and the interactions they have elsewhere on the site.

What I'm trying to articulate, very poorly, is again that idea of there being two sides to myself, the me that plays the games and the me that is just... me. In a game, it should be 100% expected that there will be conflict and confrontation, as long as it is within the spirit of the game. Professional athletes beat the fucking shit out of their best friends every day of the week. The problem is that there is very little disconnect between those in-game conflicts and our out of game relationships sometimes. And I think this discussion helps bridge that gap, so hats off to Canuck.

In closing, Be Kind.
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Long Con wrote:Mafia isn't a computer game.
Then what the hell have I been playing on? :confused:
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Epignosis wrote:
Long Con wrote:Mafia isn't a computer game.
Then what the hell have I been playing on? :confused:
I use an abacus.

Neverwhere
The Mark

Post by Neverwhere »

Long Con wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
Golden wrote:
Another point of view would be that these people make up the playing field. "Ok," you think, as a baddie, "I'm playing with S~V~S and Golden - I can play off their sympathies to make it through the next lynch by silencing myself!"

Is that so bad? Mafia isn't a computer game, it's an organic game that flows off innovation, emotion, deduction, deception, sympathy, betrayal... these are all currents that a winner has to ride, to steer true through, to reach the game's end. There is no one right way, it's a down-and-dirty, soul vs soul extravaganza! Each game is different, and not because of the setup the host provided, but because the players, who make up the most unpredictable part of the game, are always different.

Play the game you're in. KNOW the game you're in. Understand who else is playing, and outwit and outplay them. If not lynching silenced players is a weakness, then take advantage of it, or look for others who are doing it.

Maybe that's a bit off the central topic of un-funness, but not too far off. I have also contributed to un-funness before by having an emotional explosion, and I regret that, but I think I am more on the side of keeping things light and respectful. It is all a point of view. I recently cited "reading comprehension failure" when I was arguing with someone. Some people took it to mean "you are an idiot" but I just meant it more like "you failed to comprehend what I said, and here's how".
I'm pretty that was directed at me in the Broadway game, and I did not take it to mean you thought I was an idiot.

Due to snark, I am more likely to be quiet and afraid to speak my mind for fear of not being at the same level as other players and having people think I'm an idiot player. I do enjoy the goofiness.
Long Con
So Divine
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

No, it was in the Flash game, I believe.
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Post by Ricochet »

I chose not to write anything while the topic was hot, because I was out of town and writing more than one liners on a tablet or smartphone is painful for me. There is absolutely no need to address anything I'll say, if you feel everything has already said (and quite well, too), my post won't be nearly as eloquent or pertinent anyway. I don't have the experience of those who have played for years here and can feel that things have changed, nor of those who have went through every kind of role (will I ever be cast as a regular civilian, I wonder... :grin:), situation and gameplay.

I can only speak from personal experience, although even in this case there's not a whole lot to say. I consider to have had only one awful game and experience so far and it made me reflect a lot afterwards on how I personally need to deal with this. That game was the definition of how much of a bad loser I have been in games my entire life - just ask my grandpa, if he can still remember that is, how often he had to let me win at chess as a kid in order for me not to flip the fark out to the point of breaking things in the house... god I miss playing chess (...with him) :small noble: . My future paths, hopefully throughout the rest of my mafia playing, will be either total detachment or level-headed defending, in case I still see a window of opportunity. In either cases, it will still feel like a loss for me, but without any unnecessary tension between me and my lynchers - and, basically, it will also be more of a loss for the civilian team, depending on each player's varying degree of regret afterward. Quite recently, I found myself again in the same situation and, although I did not quite choose detachment, I hope, at least, I had a much better exit. If I still let some snark slip through my posts, I apologise.

As far as I'm concerned, I have two main mentalities: One, I'm always playing to win. Always. Well, maybe not in Omelerta, but let's put that aside. So far, I don't think I developed a game in which to be intentionally conniving, deceptive and/or agressive to other players, in order to achieve my win. I mean, I still haven't even experimented at all with gambits, dirty tricks, so idk. :shrug:

Second mentality I want to make clear, on my behalf, is that I respect every each one of you as players. That includes the gameplay mentalities you yourselves have or the choices you take - except if they'll ever veer into derailing or madness, of course. :p Others have said it much better that deception is still at the heart of such a game and many things are fair game, even if objectively unpleasant. I embrace the competition - not to mention how scary good said competition sometimes is. :scared: I can take snark head on - although I probably won't ever reply on the same level. I find the PC to be actually a good screen to filter your emotions or reactions, even when your actual body language is all tears or rage. Same with previewing your post once or twice before submitting it. If the couple of members I still tend to have a beef with, in and out of games, ever feel that it's going overboard, they're free to let me know(they also happen to be mods, so... :grin: ).

On a larger, non-personal level, I think we are in the middle of expanding the community and we're bound to face the differences in mafia culture and atmosphere between us. I don't expect any particular party to give in completely to another's ways or mentalities.

Not sure what I just wrote and why, but there you go.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I enjoyed your post Ricochet. And I enjoyed being your teammate in every one of your mafia wins! :D

I want to emphasize the same thing you said. I respect every single player I have played with on this site (even Chris), because I feel like I have been given the same treatment, whether I deserved it or not. It's one of the reasons I keep coming back. I feel like I belong here, and not just to help fill up the next Political TV-Show themed mafia game.

I love you all to the end, even if I call you an asshole. :blush:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

XthAtGAm3RGuYX
Stool Pigeon

Post by XthAtGAm3RGuYX »

You guys just need to spend some time in a bad neighborhood and get accustomed to people talking mad shit for no reason.

Sometimes attitudes are unnecessary but some times they keep me interested in the game when somebody comes at me. Gives me motivation to make them look like a jackass for their bad reads.

Wish I was on my laptop. I could type more. This phone is putrid fucking garbage.

Return to “The Lounge”