[WALRUS] Dobbliets Small-rus Jan. 2021

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 50
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

[WALRUS] Dobbliets Small-rus Jan. 2021

Post by juliets »

I have been asked to post the playlist and write ups from the Dobbliets Small-rus run the first week of January 2021. Here is the introduction and categories. The songs and write ups will follow. Note: I will put the net final score in for each song after I get them all posted.

Dobby: Okay, so I'm doing this iMpRoMpTu Walrus thing, but with one major HYPE tweak. juliets is cohosting this with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HYYYYYYYYYPE

Here are our categories:

1) Hope - Submit a song that evokes a feeling of hope, that better days are to come. It can also be a song that describes an awful situation or state that you are in, but the particular song or performance makes you feel like "it's all okay". It could be purely instrumental, it could be in the lyrics. Anything goes really.

2) Madness - Submit a song about an event or situation that put you or someone else over the edge into temporary or prolonged madness.

3) Meaningful - Submit a song that means something to you. It could be anything really. A song that describes you to the core. A song that you had with you in a specific part of your life. A song that you had your first kiss to. A song that... You get it..! Feel free to add a short motivation as to why this song means something to you, and we can include that in the reveal for that extra !!!!!!! factor! (or tell us if you do not want it included)

Only request is that you don't submit songs that are like, extremely well-known so we get some new stuff to enjoy, but will not be hard on that in the scoring.

Submissions are due Monday 4th of january, 10PM EST so we have time to listen to them. They can be sent to either me or @juliets through Discord or on The Syndicate.

Reveal is planned for Tuesday 5th of january, 8PM EST
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Re: Walrus: Dobbliets Small-rus Jan. 2021

Post by juliets »

Category: Hope (the reveals are in random order, not score order)

CHVRCHES - The mother we share
Subbed by: Sprityo

Juliets: I don't know the genre for this song (bwt and booms do I'm sure lol) but it sounds kind of retro to me even though it's not. The synths maybe? Anyway I really like the lyrics and the vocalist is good but the instrumentation itself is just not my jam.

8,1/10

Dobby: I've had some serious CHVRCHES-fandays, so happy to see them here! I really see the catfit here, the lyrics are great, only minus with it is the bopbopy things looping in the background, that are sort of distracting me from really enjoying it.

8,2/10

**Final score: 16,3**
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Knytt Underground - D Fast - Vanishing
Submitted by: Ranmilia

Juliets: I hear the hope in this song’s sparseness. The sun slowly comes up over the horizon from a long, dark, stormy night of the soul. You can hear the dew drops, insects, and other small sounds. Things are quiet but there is presence. It’s time to start over again.

8,0/10

Dobby: I really love this. It's fresh and just.. *reads Jules's writeup* man why do I suck with words, I can't convey what it makes me feel. It's just beautiful, whatever Jules wrote is spot on tbh.

9,2/10

**Final score: 17,2**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

The Boxer Rebellion - Safe House
Submitted by: nutella

Juliets: I like this song a lot. The lyrics alluding to how easy but dead it feels to close one eye to the things that make us feel hopeless in the world. Things change though when we open our eyes wide and confront the world with hope. I love the vocals here too, I need to explore what else they've done.

9.2/10

Dobby: Hmm should I have heard of this band before? This is truly nutellacore, but it tangentiates dobbycore pretty damn well as well. With this category I really hoped to get tracks like this one, with the way the last two minutes really makes me soar and like, fully ready to take on everything that's sucky around me tbh. Smh, nutella knows I like buildups of this sort..! Thanks, gotta look them up properly, for sure!

9,7/10

**Final score: 18,9**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Nine Inch Nails - We're In This Together
Submitted by: hollowkatt

Juliets: Believe it or not, I had a NIN phase so I get how enjoyable this is to their fans. The lyrics def portray hope in a "you and me against the world" way and there was at least one yt comment that brought that even more in line for me. The shouty vocals typical of this genre (which these days i'm more inclined to not like) fit the bill here for me making the lyrics more aggressive . This is a good sub for this category.

8.5/10

Dobby: Okay so. I appreciate that this was subbed to this category. First listen was a big meh for me, but then I read the lyrics (and a comment on youtube with a close one on chemo) and woah, the song with the way it's performed got a whole new meaning to it, goosebumps. Maybe not my favorite genre, but I do reeeeally love that this was subbed here.

8,4/10

**Final score: 16,9**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Nana Grizol - The Idea That Everything Could Ever Possibly Be Said
Submitted by: Boomslang

Juliets: Omg, listening to this and reading the lyrics is making me cry. I can hardly bear it. I have been in this song in my life. Besides the blow me away lyrics i really like the vocalist especially when he blasts out "It's amazing just to know you're alive" - love the hope in that statement. I could go on an on about this song but suffice it to say it's outstanding.

9,8/10

Dobby: I love the tone of his voice, and the lyrics, and how they're conveyed. It's really gripping me tbh, and I'm getting that sense of !!!!! in my chest that I hoped to get with this category. This is beautiful for sure

9,8/10

**Final score: 19,6**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Wolf Parade - I'll Believe in Anything
Submitted by: MyNameIsNothing

Juliets: This one was a little hard for me. I liked the instrumentaion but there is something about the vocalist that i wasn's wild about. I can't be any more specific. I looked up the lyrics and they were fine, I can see the cat fit. Maybe I just need to listen to it more than i had time for in this small-rus and the vocalist would grow on me.

8,0/10

Dobby: I love the vibe in this one, I can't say I'm able to make out most of what he's singing, but I don't really mind either, it just leaves me with a nice feeling after having listened to it tbh and that's all that matters to me..!

8,8/10

**Final score: 16,8**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

bloodandbiscuits - Three Trapped Tigers - 5
Submitted by: marcher jovian

Juliets: This is soooo nice, I LOVE the piano, it is beautiful and I also love how the bass contrasts (that is a bass isn't it Dobby??). This piece is definitely uplifting, hopeful but maybe a bit too sweet for me.

8.5/10

Dobby: Sometimes it annoys me that I'm not good at describing what I'm actually listening to. This one sure nails the cat, it's uplifting but I get a slightly troubled feeling, is this math piano something? Probably not, I don't care, nearly all individual parts barring like one or two towards the end are really awesome and really intriguing to me!

8,8/10

**Final score: 17,3**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Gong - Rational Anthem
Submitted by: dunia

Juliets: This song is totally groovy. I'm not at all familiar with it which is a plus and it captures perfectly the hopes of a whole generation. The background music and the vocals work together seemlessly. I LOVE it. Peace brothers and sisters!

Dobby: I think in the right state of mind I'd completely adore this song. It does get a bit repetitive for me towards the end, and almost makes me uncomfortable, which is not necessarily a bad thing - not sure, anyways - the vibe as a whole is great!

**Final score: 17,8**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Incognito - Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing
Submitted by: TonyStarkPrime

Juliets: Yeah, don't you worry bout a thing! Those horns! I love this cover of the Stevie Wonder classic. Her voice is great but it's the instrumentation that really gets my attention. Those horns! Those drums! Definitely a tune of hope. Wish i had time to compare it to the original.

8,8/10

Dobby: Hype song! Huge Stevie Wonder fan right here - I enjoy what they're doing to the tune as well, although the magic that comes with the actual S. W tunes and performances does get lost a little here.

8,2/10

**Final score: 17,0**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Jethro Tull - Life is a Long Song
Submitted by: Nanook

Juliets: I admit, i have a soft spot in my heart for Tull and somehow i have never heard this song before. It hits so close to home, life is a long song and much of the time things will get better. This might be my new favorite song of theirs, it's so upbeat and when they sang "Well, don't you squeal as the heel
Grinds you under the wheels" i started laughing because, well, yeah don't do that! It just made me full of joy. Thanks so much for subbing this!

8.8/10

Dobby: This is just some awesome feel-good stuff tbh, cool one, really like what he does in most parts that, the small flutes and whatnot. it's super pleasant!

8,5/10

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

SOPHIE - Immaterial
Submitted by: M Plus 7

Juliets: This song completely knocked me over when i got past the first part (I think i still had my volume turned way up for another tune) but i loved that it bowled me over. Those drums! O my God they are tremendous here. And then the vocals are amazing, especially at the bridge (is the voice called synthoid at that point dobby?). Whatever it is i really like the change.This was something different and I liked it.

8.5/10

Dobby: MMMMMMMM I'm torn here. On one hand, the theme of the song is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I totally get it - but on the other hand, it's a bit too "popcorn"/neon smth idk words, for me to really vibe with fully....

8,3/10

**Final score: 16,8**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Reign of Kindo - I Hear That Music Play
Submitted by: birdwithteeth

Juliets: This is fantastic, a song about music! If there is a way deeper meaning that I'm missing I don't care. It hits me right in the heart, it's why i follow as many walrus reveals as i can, it's why i beg dobby for songs, because the music helps take away any pain that is there. "I know i should share it, share what I have found" so true and I'm so thankful for those who have shared with me.

9.0/10

Dobby: Yay, music, indeed! The lyrics and theme are really great, but I feel like there's some kind of mismatch between them and the delivery/genre? It sorta just leaves me feeling like there's something missing, and it's uh a bit long as well for what it is tbh, sorry :/

8,0/10

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Dashboard Confessional - Vindicated
Submitted by: Turnip Head

Juliets: I am worried about the singer, he started the song on the note of hope, said he was slipping away in the middle and ended with slight hope. Noooo! Keep up the hope! I liked this tune the guys voice was pleasing to me and I liked his tone when he took on the "I am selfish, I am wrong" parts. I also appreciate that his hope wavers, I think that's pretty realistic. Does anyone hear a touch of country in this? Good song for the cat.

9.3/10

Dobby: Woah, the melody here is contagious, I feel like this delivers what made so many of the early 21st century pop-rock thingies (smh defining genres) did really well. The singing is great, the whole package really is, and it's easy to listen to..! I didn't expect to - but I love it! Should I have heard about this band? mmmh, gotta look them up either way.

9,5/10

**Final score: 18,8**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Hiromi - Old-Castle,-by-the-River,-in-the-Middle-of-a-Forest
Submitted by: marmot

Juliets: Oh yes, she is awesome on that piano. It's so jazzy and energetic and projects hope with each note. Even when it slows down, which i love btw, it's still so hopeful and beautiful. Have i used enough adjectives here? Just sit back and listen, close your eyes, sip some wine.

9.3/10

Dobby: What a treat to watch her do what she loves! She's really living the music, it's amazing tbh! This type of thing just works perfectly for so many occasions, lifts my mood up and... yeah, it's great :P

8,8/10

**Final score: 18,1**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Mama Cass Elliot - It's Getting Better
Submitted by: G-Man

Juliets: I would have picked this song out as G-Man in an instant! I really appreciate the lyrics, "I don't feel all turned on and starry eyed" is a great line. Falling in love is not the same for everyone but this song for me these lyrics are real love, not just lust. (yeah yeah syndicaters and sex, i've seen the meme) The problem I have is I'm just not wild about the music or Mama Cass's vocals. The music just may be too pop retro for me and Elliot's voice just grates on me a bit.

8.7/10

Dobby: This is a pleasant listen, I do enjoy the tone of her voice, and how feel-good easily listened to this is! I think this is a genre/style that I easily tire of, but as part of all subs here, I'm happy this was subbed, it's a nice one!

8,7/10

**Final score: 17,4**

This Ends Category 1 - HOPE

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Scores for Category 1 - Hope
Boomslang 9.80
nutella 9.45
turnip head9.40
Marmot 9.50
dunia 8.90
G-Man8.70
marcher jovian8.65
Nanook8.65
Ranmilia8.60
TonyStarkPrime8.50
birdwithteeth8.50
hollowkatt8.45
MyNameIsNothing8.40
M Plus 78.40
Sprityo8.15

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Category: Madness (the reveals are in random order, not score order)

Róisín Murphy - Narcissus

Juliets: Vibing along with this I want Dobby to bring up dancing pepe! This is the modern version of "You're So Vain" lol! I found myself thinking it's the SINGER who's going to go mad if she gets Narcissus to fall in love with her because that is not his true nature and he'll go back to his old ways (yes, I have met Narcissus). I enjoyed the track but this is not really my preferred type of music.

7,9/10

Dobby: This is a cool sub, like, 21st century disco music. I don't LOOVE the genre nor the singing, but it's definitely a worth listen!

8,0/10

**Final score: 15,9**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Spiritbox - Constance

Juliets: You MUST watch this video. It is truly heartbraking, at least it was for me. Maybe because I lost a parent to dementia, maybe because i see my mom getting older everytime i go home, maybe I'm just overly sensitive. I appreciate that real "madness" was depicted in this, thank you for submitting.

9.6/10

Dobby: Okay so Jules asked me to watch this video and yeah it makes me emotional as well, for sure. Getting old, losing yourself, or even close ones getting affected, etc. It's stuff I see in my line of work, but doesn't mean that it's easy to deal with. The way the song goes off towards the end is just extremely powerful as well. Didn't expect these feels for this category for sure, but I'll take it.

9,7/10

**Final score: 19,3**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

The Dear Hunter - Waves

Juliets: wow, why have I never heard of this band. This is such a good song especially lyrically, the lighthouse and waves/sinking as metaphor work so well. The madness stemming from the situation, the screaming of sinking, the uncaring lover - all of it works together to bring forward so much emotion. I listened to this over and over and it just got better and better.

9.0/10

Dobby: This song did get better with a few listens, I kinda want to call this soft rock? which was my thing like ten years ago, and since then I've kind of stopped actively looking for tunes like this, probably because it's hard to find such ones of good quality? Meh, rant over. This is a great listen for sure!

8,7/10

**Final score: 17,7**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have

Juliets: Oh wow this is madness for sure. His voice gets more tortured with each new verse he sings. The instrementation leaves me cold with fear. I love the bam-bsm bam percussion in the chorus. For me it emphasizes the gravitas of the song. This song makes me want to re-discover their past tracks that i liked so much.

9,2/10

Dobby: Mmmmmmh yeah seen solely to sound I prefer this NIN song to the previous one. It really gets me in that uuuughhhh mood, some kind of desperation both in the background instrumentals, but also the way the song is delivered. Good one. I see why NIN are big, maybe I should listen to something other than Hurt from them :P

8,5/10

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Penderecki: Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
Submitted by: boomslang

Juliets: If this isn't madness I don't know what is. The track is evocative, from the sirens to the noises that make you think of people seeing and suffering, lots of suffering. I can't say I enjoyed this but then again I'm not sure I'm supposed to enjoy it. It horrified me and I think that makes is successful.

8,8/10

Dobby: Oof, yeah, very eerie, great catfit. In periods I've really enjoyed this type of music/noise thingie, and in the right mood it's just perfect. I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone though.. Also how do I score this in comparison to everything else...?

8,6/10

**Final score: 17,4**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

David Bowie - All the Madmen (2015 Remaster)

Juliets: I AM A ROCK STAR! Ok not really but i FEEL like I am when i blast this over my new air pods, wish i were stoned, suck down my wine and rock on. I love David Bowie and love this song. I almost subbed it to Mac's Psychosis cat. Once again this is a great cat fit and i don't know what to say besides i love it.

9,0/10

Dobby: Yeah like, David Bowie is David Bowie tbh, what's there not to like tbh... Good sub tbh

8,8/10

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

JJ Cale - Unemployment

Juliets: This song has a great bluesy vibe. Unemployment is definitely not fun and if you have people depending on you and there are no jobs, especially if you've been closed out by something like the pandemic I can see going mad over time. I like the vocals here too but ultimately I've heard other things in this category that captured more the feel i was looking for.

8.8/10

Dobby: Oh wow, this type of music might be among the styles I've listened to the least. The guitar playing is super smooth, other than that the lyrics and storytelling are really the big thing here for me, and if I hadn't dove in to it like that I'd probably have appreciated it a lot less.

8,4/10

**Final score: 17,2**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Starlito - Paternity Leave (Intro)

Juliets: This track says it all in such a short time. Such gems in the lyrics "we been using marching since i got here" as the screen flashes the decades is one of my favorites. The subber interpreted the category as something that inspires you to be mad and it's hard not to be mad after listening to his words. A true poet. I'm not really into rap but i love the lyrics here a lot.

9,0/10

Dobby: Yeah, definitely a good cat interpretation here. Not the greatest hiphop fan, and I'm awful at judging what's good or what's bad when it comes to it, but I enjoy this, the lyrics are great, the flow and beat are also great. And the topic is just important and necessary tbh.

9,1/10

**Final score: 18,1**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Jeremy Levy - Mars - Scrolling Score

Juliets: This is much different from the Mars I remember by Hoist - much jazzier, more life (I should add that I'm not a big classical music fan). I like this but it's not really my style. Maybe i need to hear more of their interpretation of the suite, so i thank you for introducing me to this.

8,0/10

Dobby: That start scared the poop out of me! This is super neat and like, HUGE respect for putting this together, I adore the 'craft' and work put into this. It's madness for sure..!

8,4/10

**Final score: 16,4**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Will Wood - Hand Me My Shovel, I'm Going In!

Juliets: OH. WOW. I sure hope Dobby scores this highly. Every single note, breath, word, rhythm, tone of this song says madness. I wanted to dance with madness! I loved the way it became a vortex "Gotta get to the bottom of this" and then slowed to that last naked line. This captures the category exactly for me, I love it and it will become a part of my playlists.

10/10

Dobby: I dig the style and tempo, here, it starts off pretty high tempo, and with the escalation in the second half I'm just left exhaaaaaaaausted tbh, surely the perfect catfit! A bit theatrical singing for me in some parts especially early on, but I'm not sure I mind that much, it's really a perfect sub for the category!

9,5/10

**Final score: 19,5**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Kanye West - Love Lockdown
Submitted by: turnip head

Juliets: How appropriate that we have Kanye in the madness category! Here's a dirty secret: I used to love this song, it was on my running playlist which i played so much I knew the words to every song. I loved the drums especially but I also actually liked Kanyes vocals. Don't @ me. So unfortunately for me this is one of those songs that is overdone for me and i don't enjoy Kanye like i once did. Not a bad sub, just not good for me.

8,8/10

Dobby: Kanye!!!! teheeeeeee.. It's actually a catchy song - I haven't really listened to it (although I've "heard it" if that makes sense) but uh, I dig it (for what it is!!!!) for sure!

9,0/10

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

《MO: Astray》 Theme Song-Epilogue
Submitted by: sprityo

Juliets: I think not being a gamer really hurts me here. The game producer (i think) says "I believe that once you find out the conclusion of the story, listening to the lyrics with that in mind will make it that much more moving." I love the instrumentation and the vocals - (she reminds me of someone, who is it? Can't put my finger on it) and the lyrics project madness but I feel like I'm missing out on the real story.

8,2/10

Dobby: The instrumentation here is delightful, as is her voice. Reading the lyrics the sub makes sense, but I have a bit of a hard time really bonding with this type of genre/song for that really high score. :/

8,2/10

**Final score: 16,4**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Cibo Matto - Artichoke
Submitted by: dunya

Juliets: This category is producing some awesome tracks. This track is sick, and I mean that in both senses of the word. The singer is...crazy? The verse about the pan and the lemon - sick, sick sick. I love the vocals, I love the instrumentation, I think the lyrics are crazy. Madness!!

9,4/10

Dobby: Uhhh so. Where do I start. Yeah I love this song for this category, it's super cool, the background sounds (!!!!!!!!) and music are so intriguing, and combined with the way the singing (?) and the lyrics are, it's captivating and just awesome. Also artichoke <3

9,4/10

**Final score: 18,8**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Coil - Tattooed Man

Juliets: This track is so dark and depressing to me which is certainly in line with madness when taken to the lengths this song goes. At first, I didn't like that the vocals seemed to be in the background covered by the music but then on later listenings i realized that was genius. You strain for the words, even if you are looking at the lyrics and that adds to the feel of madness. Another great addition to the madness tracks!

9,4/10

Dobby: I love this one A LOT. The way it's delivered, the way it's produced, the singing, the.. the whole thing! like, it's perfeeeeeeeect, gives me goosebumps and shivers all over tbh waaaah

10/10

**Final score: 19,4**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Drakengard 1 OST - Growing Wings

Juliets: At first I disliked the driving beat that covered the lyrics but after listening to it again I decided i dig it. The drums and the subdued vocals are such a contrast and it melds together for a really strong showing. Then in the second verse when the drums drop out for the beginning of the verse is really powerful and I love that in absence there is power. I really enjoyed the vocalist on this one too once my ear learned to hear her.

8,4/10

Dobby: So the background music in this one really makes me feel uncomfortable, combined with the toned down singing and theme in what she actually sings, the delivery really becomes strong. Great sub. I'm gonna watch rainbows and puppies before I move on tbh.

8,6/10

This is the end of Category 2 - Madness

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Scores for Category 2: Madness
marcher jovian9.75
M Plus 79.70
birdwithteeth9.65
dunya9.40
marmot9.05
Nanook8.90
turnip head8.90
nutella8.85
hollowkatt8.85
boomslang8.70
G-Man8.60
Ranmilia8.50
sprityo8.20
TonyStarkPrime8.20
MyNameIsNothing7.95

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Category 3: Meaningful

Haley Heynderickx - The Bug Collector

Juliets: I think this is a song about trying to protect someone from their paranoid thoughts but seeing that some of it might be true (the millipede). Something like that but maybe its much deeper and someone can enlighten me. I like the tone of the music but at first i didn't care for her voice. I went and listened to her Tiny Desk Concert though and came out with much more appreciation for her and her harmonies.

8.5/10

Dobby: I feel like this one is pretty.. peculiar? is that a good word? The guitar and horn stuff are really setting the mood in a cool way, and the song itself is.. not sure tbh, I'm trying to figure out if there might be a cool hidden meaning to it but I'm not big brained enough. Since it was subbed here I'm pretty sure there just is, although I have to say I don't like bugs if that's the deal smh

8,8/10

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Crusher-P - Would You Rather

Juliets: I like the catchy beat and the rhythm of the song, so upbeat. It occured to me this would have also been good in the hope category as well. The lyrics speak to becoming who you really are which really appeals to me. I'm somewhat put off by the vocals though, for some reason they remind me of a video game song. I'm probably the only one tht feels this way, maybe I just need to spend some more time with this band.

8,5/10

Dobby: Heavy topic here, her voice and the general feel of the song is just great. My one issue with it is as with a few other subs, not sure how to describe it, but feels like they've tried to squeeze in a few too many words in each line of lyrics, which affects intonation and sorta takes away a little from it.

8,1/10

**Final score: 16,6**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

永遠(ONE~輝く季節へ~)

Juliets: That guitar! I love it and found myself wishing that the track was longer. I find myself at a loss for words other than to say I appreciate Ran giving her thoughts here because i don't know if I would have thought about "meaningful" to describe this track. I listened to other versions of this song and this version definitely satisfied me the most.

8,2/10

Dobby: I think that the fact that this is subbed to this particular category, with the attached writeup really makes me realise that this actually means a great deal, and sure has me thinking. Would I have thought it simple otherwise, or not "get it"? Possibly, but rn I'm sort of humbled by this sub, and have no real words to put down that I feel make real sense tbh. It's just nice, and I found myself listening on to the youtube user's other tracks for a good while after. They just made me feel good tbh.

8,5/10

**Final score: 16,7**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Passion Pit - Where We Belong

Juliets: I really, really dig the first about 37 seconds of this track. It seemed so joyous and exuberant. Then when the lyrics kick in driven by that percussion it feels like a song about pain, giving up, throwing in the towel, suicide. In the end, though many would disagree with me, it feels like shelter has been found. I love this song and have added it to my playlist.

9.5/10

Dobby: Oh wow, Passion Pit!!!!! I've subbed one or two of their songs to walri before, but I haven't really connected with this one before. It was a band I listened a lot to during my first years in uni, especially. But oh man, this song has me floored. I can really really see why this would be an important song for you. The parts where he sings 'Who says...' just gives me instant shivers all over. So many layers to this song, and I wildly appreciate all of them. *addition* I read that this was about a failed suicid attempt and uh, the lyrics kinda break me tbh. Thank you for this.

10/10

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Dan Deacon - When I Was Done Dying
Submitted by: boomslang

Juliets: This is right up my alley, I totally love it but I don't know if I can explain why! First i really dig the sing-song vocal style which to me reflects stream of consciousness thought. And then so many different things are going on in the song I feel like I've been caught by a whirlwind and hurled around the room in a good way. I just totally love this song and downloaded it immediately!

9,7/10

Dobby: OOOOOOOOOO I LOVE THIS ONE!!! I'm pretty sure I've subbed the same song, the Adult Swim version with the SUPER funky video to something before, but it's... yeah, it's a favorite of mine, It just evokes so many feelings for me I have a hard time knowing what to do of myself. Awesome sub fren!

9,8/10

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

"Weird Al" Yankovic - White and Nerdy

Juliets: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is the bomb. I've heard you describe yourself just this way! I LOVE all the examples of white and nerdy, every singly lyric is on point like: "i'm nerdy in the extreme
And whiter than sour cream
I was in AV club and Glee club
And even the chess team!" This song is i think just what you wanted it to be and i think it's hilarious. Brilliant change of pace.

9,2/10

Dobby: HMMMMM yeah, I have a bit of a hard time finding music "funny" tbh. Lyrics can be clever and cool and stuff, which these are at most times - I do appreciate what Weird Al Yankovic does though, but this just leaves me unexcited tbh, sorry for being boring 😦

7,9/10

**Final score: 17,1**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

《Cytus II》- Rua feat. K - Still (Full Version)
Submitted by: sprityo

Juliets: I'm sorry, I know I'm lame but i feel like I'm missing something again. I noticed commentors saying "oh this makes so much sense in the story" but i don't know the story. The vocals are beautiful though. I wish I had the subbers notes explaining why this is meaningful. Is it about a relationship that others tried to tear apart? Knowing why it's meaningful may have made up for feeling like I'm missing something..

8,0/10

Dobby: These lyrics are really strong, and afaict it's from a rhythm game, and has a stronk story tied to it that I feel like I'm missing out on. This type of anime rock (sry idk words but you know, the things played in anime intros etc) is like, nothing I've been exposed to a lot really, which is probably also why I fail to love the tune, it's definitely good though.

8,1/10

**Final score: 16,1**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

The Head And The Heart - Down In The Valley

Juliets: Put this on my list of downloads please!! I love the violin in the beginning and then the heavy piano through the song. The lyrics just hit me in the gut, it's so moving. I also grew up in a valley and am emotionally stirred everytime i go back there but thats just me. The vocals are terrific here. This is the kind of indie folk that is at my core. Thank you for subbing!

9,5/10

Dobby: I adore this style more than most other things when it's produced well, tone of his voice is great, tempo of the song as well, it's really great! Another band I need to acquaint myself with tbh

9,4/10

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Brad Mehldau - Don't Think Twice It's Alright

Juliets: Love the piano here, and is that a banjo? In fact the entire instrumentaion is gold and I wondered if this was instrumental only. And then his voice kicks in and I'm in love. I like how he speaks more than sings some of the lines, and love that little crack in his voice at "we never do too much talkin' anyway". Dylan is another artist I have a soft spot for so I'm very familiar with this song but love how these guys have changed it up. I'll have to check out more of their work. Another one for my download list.

9.2/10

Dobby: Oooooh! I've actually watch a ton of 'Live from here' videos with one of these guys - KnightsOfCydonia had a walrus where one category involved their musician's birthdays episodes where they had fancy covers of their songs. Cool concept, I love this guy's smoooth voice, and the message in the song, not to mention their skill with their instruments. Not the biggest jazz fan, but I have really appreciated your subs here! Cool stuff!

8,7/10

**Final score: 17,9**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Kesha - Past Lives

Juliets: I like the thought behind these lyrics, that the love and attraction they have for each other is age old and covers many lifetimes. Kesha though leaves me feeling kinda of flat so I found my mind wandering off a bit while listening. I can see why the song is meaningful, I just can't get real excited about it. Not a bad sub tho and maybe someone who knows Kesha's music better than i do would see this differently.

8.5/10

Dobby: While I'm judging this song I'm actually reading Juliet's writeup and I've gotta say to be honest that I appreciate Kesha a lot more nowadays, maybe because of the whole filthy story with her producer and the lawsuits and whatnot - Praying is one of her songs that's really close to heart for me, and I really believe the words she's singing. In this case, I love the simplicity in this more 'modern'/commercial type of lovesong.

9,2/10

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Brian Eno - "The Big Ship"

Juliets: Ok so I haven't seen the movie where this was used but i can still say it is a beautifully moving piece of music. It feels both sad and comforting at the same time if that makes any sense. It's an old song (1975) but i feel like it holds it's own with instrumentals of today. I really like it and I guess I need to see the movie so I'll understand completely the emotional impact (It's called Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl if anyone else wants to check it out).

9,3/10

Dobby: Oh man. Yeah, someone call the pandering cops because something something criminal here neeeeee-nooooooo!!! This is probably a tune I would've subbed myself here though tbh, I have so many associations to this song, that mean so much to me, and this song just like, idk, lifts. The feelz intensity just, it's out of this world.. I can't explain it with words. It's important, so important to me. I'm sorta happy this was subbed here despite being so central to me in so many ways the last many years tbh, now everyone can hear it, and hopefully pick up what attracts me with it.

9,9/10

**Final score: 19,2**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

PJ Harvey - Sheela Na Gig (Dry)
Submitted by: dunya

Juliets: Who the hell does this guy think he is? My favorite lyric: "Gonna take my hips to a man who cares
Turn the corner, another one there" - YES there will be another always. I can feel exactly what the subber is saying about why this is so meaningful, how PJ sings of the power of a woman and her sexuality. I also love that she takes a famous lyric from South Pacific and makes it relevant to now. Love it!

9,4/10

Dobby: Mmmmh the lyrics are a huge part of this one for me. It's really, really provocative (?) and though-provoking,*dobby just wrote a book and deleted it*. Some people are just dogshit, the whole concept of like, owning the rights to someone else's body or whatever, it's just, insane really. Not a favorite genre, but who the f cares tbh.

9,0/10

**Final score: 18,4**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Jon Bellion - Stupid Deep
Submitted by: Turnip Head

Juliets: oooooo I like these lyrics. It's obvious why this song is meaningful and I love that lyric stupid deep to describe the hole in his heart. I also like the vocal and how he rushes the thrid and fourth lines of the verse. Adds some interest, something different. Also love the part about the "plan to put money in my hand". Seems like so much of life is built around that need at the expense of other needs. Also, I dig his voice, wish I had heard of him sooner. So all in all I think this track works well for this cat and I am likely to add it to my playlists..

9.7/10

Dobby: Uhm so, in these walri the songs that tend to do best are like, amazing ofc, but I also stop listening to them after a while, since most of the "catfits" etc are often extreme one way or the other. And that's fine and all, but this song here is.. the type of thing I listen to without tiring. I haven't heard of Jon Bellion before, but I love his voice, his style of singing, the small intricacies (look at me using hard words) in the background music, the lyrics, the theme. Uh, yeah, you get it. This is a song and artist I'm taking with me from this smallrus, and the reason why I am so involved in these things.

9,8/10

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Frozen 2 ‘The Next Right Thing’

Juliets: Ok confession time: I have never seen Frozen. Or Frozen 2. I need to rectify that. I don't need the movie though to talk about how good this song is. Her vocal expression adds so much to the lyrics. The lyrics themselves are so on target. I've been where this song is and can feel that sinking stomach as i listen, though i also feel the hopefullness so this song is personally meaningful for me. Thanks for subbing this,

9,4/10

Dobby: Two things. 1) fun fact about dobby. I LOVE most disney songs, the melodies and storytelling really gets to me tbh. And 2) I haven't seen Frozen 2 and I really really should, thanks for the reminder. Probably watching it tomorrow (ie before the reveal even KEK). This is truly beautiful. Reminds me a bit of stuff in the style of I Dreamed A Dream or smth. Amazing.

9,5/10

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

The Jungle

Juliets: I enjoyed this even though when i saw it was 15 minutes long I thought "oh no, not my jam". It was varied enough though that it kept my attention for the most part. I liked the quieter interludes interspersed with the noisier parts at about 8:20-8:34. I know from other walri there is an audience out there for this kind of music but it just doesn't appeal to me as much as some others in this cat.

8,3 /10

Dobby: This really is a treat in many ways. Some parts are really a delight, and other parts a biiiiiit noisy for my liking, but as a whole it's really really nice!

8,8/10

**Final score: 17,1**

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Scores for Category 3: Meaningful
nutella9.75
boomslang9.75
turnip head9.75
M Plus 79.60
hollowkatt9.45
marmot9.45
dunia9.20
TonyStarkPrime8.95
Nanook8.85
MyNameIsNothing8.65
birdwithteeth8.55
GMan8.55
Ranmilia8.35
marcher jovian8.30
sprityo8.05

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Final Scores Dobbliets Small-rus
boomslang9.42
nutella9.35
turnip head9.35
M Plus 79.23
marmot9.18
dunya9.17
hollowkatt8.92
marcher jovian8.90
birdwithteeth8.90
Nanook8.80
G-Man8.62
TonyStarkPrime8.55
Ranmilia8.48
MyNameIsNothing8.33
sprityo8.13

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”