mechanical solving - i wanna get better

Kick back and relax at The Lounge, where you can discuss any other matter related to mafia games or The Syndicate. Mafia game strategists, look no further!

Moderator: Community Team

dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 2

mechanical solving - i wanna get better

Post by dunya »

i wanna get better at mechanical game solving in mafia and wanna spectate more games that rely heavily on mechanics but in a balanced setting. i feel like this is a glaring weakness in me and while i've played several with heavy mechanics on like NF (mostly bastard games tho), my eyes still glaze over when we get deep and dirty into mechanics talk.

if you have a game starting like that or ongoing, please let me know. if you have tips, also please let me know. thx.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: mechanical solving - i wanna get better

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

It’s an aspect of Mafia that we don’t always practice around here, given our penchant for claimless games. Even when claims are legal there is still some hesitance to *do it*, and mechanical solves either never come or are significantly delayed. We also don’t tend to run HEAVILY mechanical games. The influence of sites like HeroClix Realms, Naruto Forums, and Mafia 451 on our own games can be beneficial in that way.
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

Yeah, mech solves come more often with open games. There is a recently finished game with a mech solve on 451, DM me if you want the link.

To increase your odds of winning (or to find the mechanically correct play), it's a good idea to start by laying out your options. At the start of every game day, ask yourself what would happen if each of the roles claimed. How many investigative results can you expect? Can you infer what the results would be by the fact that they haven't already claimed? How many more results can they expect to get before being nk'd, and is one more result worth risking all their existing results? Is it advantageous to sleep (no-tk)? If you have a night kill, should you use it? Is there any way to force mafia to counterclaim into a 50/50?

If someone else comes up with a solve, try to poke holes in it. If you follow the solve, is there a course the mafia can take to subvert it? What happens if one of the claimants is mafia? Try to understand how and why the solve works. I think that a lot of solves are game-specific, so it's difficult to give general tips on how to approach game-solving, but I hope the above helps.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

To me Mech solving means using the PPC or an array of rocket launchers.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
protocultures
Drug Dealer

Post by protocultures »

Epignosis wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:23 am To me Mech solving means using the PPC or an array of rocket launchers.
Does "Steiner scout lance" bring a smile on your face?
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

protocultures wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:31 pm
Epignosis wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:23 am To me Mech solving means using the PPC or an array of rocket launchers.
Does "Steiner scout lance" bring a smile on your face?
Gives a new meaning to "Atlas Shrugged." XD
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Urist wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:27 pm Yeah, mech solves come more often with open games. There is a recently finished game with a mech solve on 451, DM me if you want the link.

To increase your odds of winning (or to find the mechanically correct play), it's a good idea to start by laying out your options. At the start of every game day, ask yourself what would happen if each of the roles claimed. How many investigative results can you expect? Can you infer what the results would be by the fact that they haven't already claimed? How many more results can they expect to get before being nk'd, and is one more result worth risking all their existing results? Is it advantageous to sleep (no-tk)? If you have a night kill, should you use it? Is there any way to force mafia to counterclaim into a 50/50?

If someone else comes up with a solve, try to poke holes in it. If you follow the solve, is there a course the mafia can take to subvert it? What happens if one of the claimants is mafia? Try to understand how and why the solve works. I think that a lot of solves are game-specific, so it's difficult to give general tips on how to approach game-solving, but I hope the above helps.
this is awesome and exactly what i was looking for, thanks!

can you dm the link on discord or here? :biggrin:
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Hosting lots of (role heavy) games can help. At this point I've probably seem every classic mafia role succeed or fail in various ways, and some of this knowledge can help when I'm playing.
Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by Alison »

My take is that an easy way to get better in mechanical solving as mafia is to play a lot of mechanics-heavy games. It doesn't have to be mafia. Secret Hitler would work (SH relies less on reads and a lot on mechanics). Even stuff like strategy video games can work.
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.

Return to “The Lounge”