Re: A Mafia of Unfortunate Events [DAY 0]

Post by Golden »

soup wrote:whoa sorry I am late, going to catch up when I get off work
Welcome soup
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 283
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

Let me throw this out there and see what people think.

Mathematically, the cult is not much of a threat. Using one of Klaus's auto scum catches on Ishmael would most benefit.....the mafia.

So players expressing extreme unwarranted concern about the cult are somewhat suspicious to me at this point.
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 547

Post by Golden »

First read - zebra is town. I love the way he is deconstructing DDL and Jacks arguments around Snow Dog, despite the much easier route being to do what I did and say 'Snow was not 'lying', he was just engaging in referential banter'.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I don't agree with all of her points, though, exactly. I don't really feel as though 'town doing something scummy to elicit reaction' is a great strategy, because you are just as likely to elicit reaction from townies as opportunistic baddies and how do you sort the two?

But, she is going with such fervour with legitimate and logical arguments.
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 126

Post by Dom »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Let me throw this out there and see what people think.

Mathematically, the cult is not much of a threat. Using one of Klaus's auto scum catches on Ishmael would most benefit.....the mafia.

So players expressing extreme unwarranted concern about the cult are somewhat suspicious to me at this point.
I do agree that Klaus might not want to use his check on Ishmael.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 263
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Epignosis wrote:Additionally, if "scum is passive" then I'm terrible when I'm Mafia. If you really believe that DDL, then you would be eager to lynch someone who hadn't posted at all at that point (like me or Eloh), but you went for Snow Dog. Why?
They are. It's the basic nature of the game. Multi-faction games kind of damp that, but generally, mafias are passive.

The game thread is about finding scum. It's what everyone is either doing, or pretending to be doing. The side that is not doing it is the passive one.

Mafias can do things (like manipulate players to act their way and such), but most of them are just smokescreen so civs don't realize they are not actually doing jack shit. Mafias want the day to end already so they can kill players faster and get to LyLo.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Epignosis wrote:What point is that?
Endgame.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Also when I say "passive", it's not about number of posts. A player can make 100 posts a day and still not do anything. The scariest baddies are the ones who can do exactly that and still be hard to read, imo.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Quin wrote:
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:
Quin wrote:
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:I could get behind splitting the difference with alignment only flips. While no janitoring is more comfortable to me, I'm big on trying new things.
Snow Dog wrote:I'm playing without reading my role.
This seems like a terrible idea.

If you're being truthful and you're town, this only hurts your performance.

If you're being truthful and you're scum, maybe you don't accidentally give yourself away with a scumtell.

You could also be scum and lying, using this as a shield. "Anything scummy I say can't actually be scummy cause I don't even know my alignment."

I'm with the marmot. You seem like a great first lynch. :)
DrWilgy did the exact same thing in Monkey Island, so I'm taking Snow Dog's post as a jokey reference to that. On no planet is there a person who's seriously played a game where they haven't checked their role. If they're bad then it's a massive kick in the teeth to his/her teammates. Same to any alignment, really.
I find this all to be reasonable.

However, your assertion that nobody would ever do this for realzies stands in stark contrast to Zebra claiming that not reading one's role pm can be a useful for cutting off pressure and causing a townie to not choke, an assertion I find to be quite silly.

Putting SD back on mostly neutral terms unless Zebra ends up flipping mafia.

Now, maybe Zebra has been playing mafia in Opposite Land where lying as a townie to the point where several players consider a policy lynch on you is good strategy but lying as scum is simply not done. I'll reserve full judgement of if this is scummy behavior or just really jarring culture clash until later. It's only D0 after all.

Generally, though, when I see what I consider to be an illogical defense of another player, I assume reasons other than pure logic are at work.
Scotty wrote:
Quin wrote:
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:You're watching a guy throw pretzels in the water and a) assuming he's fishing and b) assuming that throwing pretzels in the water will lead to catching fish.

I'm watching the same guy and saying he's not contributing to solving our food shortage.
This guy is gonna give Scotty a run for his money in the metaphor department.
Nah, my job security is airtight. He can do the metaphors. I'll handle the shitty similes. (And the alliterations, aight?) i know that was assonance, you ass
Deal.

@Epi

Hi, there.
I think zebra should try it out for herself next time and see where that gets her. I just think it's pointless and hurts your team in a whole lot of ways.
Weren't you defending SD for doing it a couple pages ago?
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Epignosis wrote:
Long Con wrote:
Epignosis wrote:Four pages all about Snow Dog and Long Con's bad directions.

Snow Dog must feel special.

I won't be voting him Day 1.
Pretty sure you can practically count the number of posts about my bad directions on one hand, so that's not really a true assessment of the game.
I can't point to anything that has been discussed besides those two things.
It was halfway through day 0, two things is probably a record.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 408

Post by Epignosis »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Epignosis wrote:Additionally, if "scum is passive" then I'm terrible when I'm Mafia. If you really believe that DDL, then you would be eager to lynch someone who hadn't posted at all at that point (like me or Eloh), but you went for Snow Dog. Why?
They are. It's the basic nature of the game. Multi-faction games kind of damp that, but generally, mafias are passive.

The game thread is about finding scum. It's what everyone is either doing, or pretending to be doing. The side that is not doing it is the passive one.

Mafias can do things (like manipulate players to act their way and such), but most of them are just smokescreen so civs don't realize they are not actually doing jack shit. Mafias want the day to end already so they can kill players faster and get to LyLo.
I have witnessed so many passive civilians and active mafia in my time I could write The Book of Refutations.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 337

Post by Quin »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Quin wrote:
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:
Quin wrote:
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:I could get behind splitting the difference with alignment only flips. While no janitoring is more comfortable to me, I'm big on trying new things.
Snow Dog wrote:I'm playing without reading my role.
This seems like a terrible idea.

If you're being truthful and you're town, this only hurts your performance.

If you're being truthful and you're scum, maybe you don't accidentally give yourself away with a scumtell.

You could also be scum and lying, using this as a shield. "Anything scummy I say can't actually be scummy cause I don't even know my alignment."

I'm with the marmot. You seem like a great first lynch. :)
DrWilgy did the exact same thing in Monkey Island, so I'm taking Snow Dog's post as a jokey reference to that. On no planet is there a person who's seriously played a game where they haven't checked their role. If they're bad then it's a massive kick in the teeth to his/her teammates. Same to any alignment, really.
I find this all to be reasonable.

However, your assertion that nobody would ever do this for realzies stands in stark contrast to Zebra claiming that not reading one's role pm can be a useful for cutting off pressure and causing a townie to not choke, an assertion I find to be quite silly.

Putting SD back on mostly neutral terms unless Zebra ends up flipping mafia.

Now, maybe Zebra has been playing mafia in Opposite Land where lying as a townie to the point where several players consider a policy lynch on you is good strategy but lying as scum is simply not done. I'll reserve full judgement of if this is scummy behavior or just really jarring culture clash until later. It's only D0 after all.

Generally, though, when I see what I consider to be an illogical defense of another player, I assume reasons other than pure logic are at work.
Scotty wrote:
Quin wrote:
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:You're watching a guy throw pretzels in the water and a) assuming he's fishing and b) assuming that throwing pretzels in the water will lead to catching fish.

I'm watching the same guy and saying he's not contributing to solving our food shortage.
This guy is gonna give Scotty a run for his money in the metaphor department.
Nah, my job security is airtight. He can do the metaphors. I'll handle the shitty similes. (And the alliterations, aight?) i know that was assonance, you ass
Deal.

@Epi

Hi, there.
I think zebra should try it out for herself next time and see where that gets her. I just think it's pointless and hurts your team in a whole lot of ways.
Weren't you defending SD for doing it a couple pages ago?
Snow Dog isn't doing it.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 408

Post by Epignosis »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Endgame.
I don't agree that endgame is the time to decide when somebody is good or bad.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Elohcin wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
The only reason I don't want to lynch him actually is because his role flip is equally useless. This kind of player is better dealt with using abilities.

Concerning Snow Dog, DDL said this. Can you explain what you mean a little more clearly? Perhaps give me an example?
This isn't really exact science, but generally, I prefer reserving lynches to players who are more likely to provide information about other player's alignments when they flip, because they talked more with others and posted their own reads. Also, players who engage more with the game and actually have posts that can be analyzed, instead of just OT posts, so the town can analyze them together and hopefully reach a better conclusion that a lone vig would (vigs tend to have terrible aim). For players who do not fit that, killing is better imo because it gets read of a player who needs to be dealt with one way or another eventually without wasting a lynch. Specially in this site, where night deaths do not show roles.

In SD's case, not knowing others alignments would mean half of his worth in terms of revealing other's alignments is null (because he doesn't know his teammates), and he is impossible to read so even all of town working together could do as good a job at it as a coin flip.
Elohcin wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
He could be lying, but we have zero evidence of that. And past games is not evidence. This is mafia, everything can happen.

And, if he is lying, I see that as a way more likely sign of him being bad than otherwise. Lying as a civ is usually a bad move.

I disagree with the first part and agree with the second. I think past games can be used in figuring out someone's alignment.
I was talking about the matter of things being "impossible in mafia games because nobody has ever done them before".

No play is too crazy that some player wouldn't attempt it.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Epignosis wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Endgame.
I don't agree that endgame is the time to decide when somebody is good or bad.
It's not the best time, but it's the deadline (obviously).
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Quin wrote:Snow Dog isn't doing it.
Doesn't matter. You are still attacking the merit of doing what SD was saying he was doing, even though you were defending it a couple pages prior. What changed?
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Epignosis wrote:
As for Eloh, she doesn't know why a vanilla civilian would lie about having a power role.
Last time I checked she had the highest number of baddies wins in this site. Only tied with her husband and their pet marmot.
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Doesn't matter. You are still attacking the merit of doing what SD was saying he was doing, even though you were defending it a couple pages prior. What changed?
Show me where I ever defended the idea of not reading your role, because all I ever recall doing is suggesting that it's extremely unlikely that Snow Dog was being serious, and once again, stating that I find the strategy offensive.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Quin wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Show me where I ever defended the idea of not reading your role, because all I ever recall doing is suggesting that it's extremely unlikely that Snow Dog was being serious, and once again, stating that I find the strategy offensive.
You are right. Sorry, I mistook the two things.
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

mmMMmmmmMMmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMmmmMMmmmmMMmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMmmmMMmmmmMMmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMmmmMMmmmmMMmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMm
ImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:@LC

On HCRealms, you are allowed to make statements specifically for a lie detector.

There's really no getting around it. There's all sorts of reasons a cop could be wrong but lie detectors are generally bulletproof, putting a scum player in an impossible situation.

I prefer this "no 'I am town plz lie detect'" rule.
Personally I prefer when lie detectors are just free to abuse but also mafia is full of players who can fool them, so townies who like to treat them as gospel get burned.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Accuse first and research later. That's my motto.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Dom wrote:Uhhh

ishmael, given those recent revelations is a huge threat.
I disagree, the fact he can cult baddies and the fact civs don't lose if the cult wins tells me we might as well ignore him.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Two pages after his first post and I already think Sig looks fishy.

Must... not... lynch... Sig... again.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

LC is giving me a feeling of being on the fence. Too lazy to ISO it to be sure, but that was the gut feeling.

Aaaaand... I'm caught up.

If anyone has anything to ask me do it soon because I'm likely going disappear the whole day tomorrow.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

a2thezebra wrote:I am a mafia deconstructionist.

In mafia, much less is alignment-indicative than what the average mafia player believes is.

Because of this, unorthodox tactics of finding mafia should not be punished but encouraged.

Your claim that reaction-fishing tactics only help identify aggressive players rather than baddies simply isn't true.

The best way to catch baddies is to spot mafia-motivated tactics in real time. The best way to spot it is to fish for it.
This, I couldn't agree with more! Every word.

You don't even need to find it in real time. Create it in real time, and you can find the motivation later.
Sorsha
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 63

Post by Sorsha »

Epignosis wrote:
Spacedaisy wrote:Ok, so I read everything. I voted east because I wanted to and am satisfied to see it winning.

That was a lot of pages of discussing Snow Dog's statement about not reading his role card. I thought not reading one's role card would be a foolish personal decision but it wouldn't be a scum tell in my mind. And I didn't find anything particularly useful in the back and forth to help identify any scum either, it seemed a lot more about playstyle influenced conversation than anyone trying to manipulate anything. I think the people who we should look at are probably the people who were reading it and not commenting or committing to any stance. They are the ones much more likely to be scum, because scum love letting civs go after each other over stupid playstyle arguments, it saves them a lot of work.

Just my two cents. Going to work now. Third shift, fun fun fun...
Spacedaisy's point of view here mirrors my own.
I agree that this would be a good point to look at- those who were reading and not commenting- but how do you tell who exactly was reading and not commenting? Maybe posting in the thread with no comment on the subject is what you mean? I'm curious myself as to who that would be and I'll look into it later when I've got the time. I'm off to work in a few minutes.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Also the Nacho dude looks like he is blending. I recall him commenting on a lot of subjects but never got too involved.
Sorsha
Money Launderer

Post by Sorsha »

Does anyone have the day zero poll that they'd be willing to share?
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Town's cause is to lynch scum.
Scum's cause is not to lynch scum.

Town is active. Scum is passive. Scum plays by stalling and not actually doing things. If someone is not trying to scum, they are more likely to be bad. Because that's the bread and butter of bads.
If I am bad in a game with two baddie teams, I'll be scum-hunting, not stalling.

Why do you think scum would not be genuinely scum-hunting when they have a whole team out there to find?
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Two pages after his first post and I already think Sig looks fishy.

Fishy how.
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 128

Post by insertnamehere »

Golden wrote:I don't agree with all of her points, though, exactly. I don't really feel as though 'town doing something scummy to elicit reaction' is a great strategy, because you are just as likely to elicit reaction from townies as opportunistic baddies and how do you sort the two?
Golden wrote:

In mafia, much less is alignment-indicative than what the average mafia player believes is.

Because of this, unorthodox tactics of finding mafia should not be punished but encouraged.

Your claim that reaction-fishing tactics only help identify aggressive players rather than baddies simply isn't true.

The best way to catch baddies is to spot mafia-motivated tactics in real time. The best way to spot it is to fish for it.

You don't even need to find it in real time. Create it in real time, and you can find the motivation later.
The second post feels like an endorsement of the sentiments that Golden protested against in the first.

Is this contradiction intentional, or is Golden simply waiting to see how people react to it?

If the latter is true, I hope me pointing it out was what you were hoping for.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Golden wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Town's cause is to lynch scum.
Scum's cause is not to lynch scum.

Town is active. Scum is passive. Scum plays by stalling and not actually doing things. If someone is not trying to scum, they are more likely to be bad. Because that's the bread and butter of bads.
If I am bad in a game with two baddie teams, I'll be scum-hunting, not stalling.

Why do you think scum would not be genuinely scum-hunting when they have a whole team out there to find?
I admit I was kind of ignoring the specifics of this game, and just talking about general mafia theory to explain why SD not hunting baddies is not a good sign for him.
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

I think DDL's generalizations are a little bit disconcerting. Anyone who says definitively how scum and civ players act is just asking to be contradicted.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Only the Sith blah blah.

I hear you guys lynch on Day One round here.

When do people start deciding who they think is bad? :)
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Also when I say "passive", it's not about number of posts. A player can make 100 posts a day and still not do anything. The scariest baddies are the ones who can do exactly that and still be hard to read, imo.
So, really, "passive baddies" equals people whose cases DDL doesn't agree with?

This just feels very subjective, and not warranting grand statements like calling it the "basic nature of the game."

DDL, when you are bad, do you not try to play as closely to your civ game as possible? Thinking that "aggressive" = civ, and "passive" = scum, wouldn't you try to be as aggressive as possible regardless of alignment?

It feels like a system where you'll always be townread, regardless of actual alignment.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Only the Sith blah blah.

I hear you guys lynch on Day One round here.

When do people start deciding who they think is bad? :)
I usually decide around Day 8, or shortly after the end of the game.

I like to think of myself as the mafia equivalent of the tortoise.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

insertnamehere wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Also when I say "passive", it's not about number of posts. A player can make 100 posts a day and still not do anything. The scariest baddies are the ones who can do exactly that and still be hard to read, imo.
So, really, "passive baddies" equals people whose cases DDL doesn't agree with?

This just feels very subjective, and not warranting grand statements like calling it the "basic nature of the game."

DDL, when you are bad, do you not try to play as closely to your civ game as possible? Thinking that "aggressive" = civ, and "passive" = scum, wouldn't you try to be as aggressive as possible regardless of alignment?

It feels like a system where you'll always be townread, regardless of actual alignment.
The first statement is putting things in my mouth. I didn't say that.

My baddie game is a work in progress since I'm usually pretty terrible at it and I've only recently played my first game where I lived until the end as bad. So I can't really say much about how I play as baddie, I change it every game. What I can say is, if someone is bad, they will try to look like they are scumhunting, but other than those games with two or more factions, baddies can't scumhunt. So they have to pretend they are doing it. Since that's the number one thing the game thread is for, baddies are passive in the game thread by nature. They have to pretend they are doing the one thing everyone is doing.

And yes, my opinion are subjective. Problem? I refuse to change them because some people think having them makes me a baddie.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

insertnamehere wrote:I think DDL's generalizations are a little bit disconcerting. Anyone who says definitively how scum and civ players act is just asking to be contradicted.
Afaik the only way to play this game is having theories on what makes someone bad and applying them.
Elohcin
Hitman
Posts in topic: 87

Post by Elohcin »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Elohcin wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
The only reason I don't want to lynch him actually is because his role flip is equally useless. This kind of player is better dealt with using abilities.

Concerning Snow Dog, DDL said this. Can you explain what you mean a little more clearly? Perhaps give me an example?
This isn't really exact science, but generally, I prefer reserving lynches to players who are more likely to provide information about other player's alignments when they flip, because they talked more with others and posted their own reads. Also, players who engage more with the game and actually have posts that can be analyzed, instead of just OT posts, so the town can analyze them together and hopefully reach a better conclusion that a lone vig would (vigs tend to have terrible aim). For players who do not fit that, killing is better imo because it gets read of a player who needs to be dealt with one way or another eventually without wasting a lynch. Specially in this site, where night deaths do not show roles.

In SD's case, not knowing others alignments would mean half of his worth in terms of revealing other's alignments is null (because he doesn't know his teammates), and he is impossible to read so even all of town working together could do as good a job at it as a coin flip.
Elohcin wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
He could be lying, but we have zero evidence of that. And past games is not evidence. This is mafia, everything can happen.

And, if he is lying, I see that as a way more likely sign of him being bad than otherwise. Lying as a civ is usually a bad move.

I disagree with the first part and agree with the second. I think past games can be used in figuring out someone's alignment.
I was talking about the matter of things being "impossible in mafia games because nobody has ever done them before".

I don't think any of those quotes actually belong to me.
Banners are cool, but a pain to scroll through so...
I've won a lot of games. I've hosted some games. The end.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Elohcin wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Elohcin wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:

Elohcin wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:

I don't think any of those quotes actually belong to me.
Sorry I broke the quotes.

I was answering to that post of yours where you quoted those posts of mine you see in this post.
Elohcin
Hitman
Posts in topic: 87

Post by Elohcin »

Sorsha wrote:Does anyone have the day zero poll that they'd be willing to share?
Curious as to what your thoughts are for wanting this.
Banners are cool, but a pain to scroll through so...
I've won a lot of games. I've hosted some games. The end.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Two pages after his first post and I already think Sig looks fishy.

Fishy how.
Has done nothing all game than discuss the role. That's usually a pretty good baddie tell in my book.

I didn't like his post about wanting to be recruited either. And while I don't know if that actually works, some say fearmongering about neutral players is another classical baddie tell, which makes me wary (I did that in my first game as a baddie lol).
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

I'll be danmed if I vote for Sig on day 1 though, lol.
Sorsha
Money Launderer

Post by Sorsha »

Elohcin wrote:
Sorsha wrote:Does anyone have the day zero poll that they'd be willing to share?
Curious as to what your thoughts are for wanting this.
Why not? Could come in handy
Sorsha
Money Launderer

Post by Sorsha »

Dfaraday.. will you be having a polls thread?
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Also the Nacho dude looks like he is blending. I recall him commenting on a lot of subjects but never got too involved.
If I didn't see his name on the lynch poll I wouldn't have known he was even playing. That's a pretty big contrast to his play in Monkey Island where he was supertowning from his check-in.
ImageImageImageImage
Sorsha
Money Launderer

Post by Sorsha »

Scotty wrote:Day 0 reads: JoH is bad and INH is his teammate.

Do I win?
Can you explain why?
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

insertnamehere wrote:
Golden wrote:I don't agree with all of her points, though, exactly. I don't really feel as though 'town doing something scummy to elicit reaction' is a great strategy, because you are just as likely to elicit reaction from townies as opportunistic baddies and how do you sort the two?
Golden wrote:

The second post feels like an endorsement of the sentiments that Golden protested against in the first.

Is this contradiction intentional, or is Golden simply waiting to see how people react to it?

If the latter is true, I hope me pointing it out was what you were hoping for.
The first is my view on a specific tactic that I don't think works (town acting scummy). I was disagreeing with Zebra about the effectiveness of what she perceived as Snow Dog's tactic (I don't think it actually was, but I haven't caught up yet).

The second is about why you shouldn't attack/assume unorthodox tactics are bad and should recognise they have value. I was agreeing with the underlying philosophy that has Zebra seeing it as a good move.

I can agree with a generic sentiment without agreeing that a particular application is effective.

PS, it's a very incorrect characterisation to call the first post a 'protest', especially given that the post that preceded it was this:
Golden wrote:First read - zebra is town. I love the way she is deconstructing DDL and Jacks arguments around Snow Dog, despite the much easier route being to do what I did and say 'Snow was not 'lying', he was just engaging in referential banter'.
I was not 'protesting' zebra's view and approach, I was not only agreeing with it but seeing it as worthy of town reading zeebs except that I felt that 'town doing something scummy' is not a particular unorthodox tactic that works. There are many of other unorthodox methods that could.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Going to bed. I'll probably miss the rest of the day so I'm voting for the nacho dude.

Return to “Previous Jobs”