Game Over! Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Moderator: Community Team

How did Das Porcu do co-hosting his first game?

Stupendous!
80%
Horrific!
No votes
Who is Das Porcu?
No votes
Fucking fabulous!!/Hosts
20%

Total votes: 15
Mister Rearranger
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 75

Re: Day 3 Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Post by Mister Rearranger »

:blush:

As long as neither of us has to wess Epi...
We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't.

S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 375

Post by S~V~S »

See, now this is the part that bothers me. Do like 4 or 5 civvies have BTS? Becasue it feels like several people are trying, ACTIVELY trying to keep Made from being lynched.

TBH, I might have dropped him days ago had he not had so many freaking defenders. Every time someone says anything about him, people fall out of the woodwork to defend him. This, more than anything he has done himself, makes me think he is bad.

Linki, I have never seen lovers that did not have BTS.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Enrique
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 192

Post by Enrique »

Hold up SVS I thought me defending Made was what was giving you pause? That's like, the complete opposite of what you're saying.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 139

Post by Canucklehead »

Sorry to walk out in the middle of a thing that I'm in the middle of, but I gotta walk my canine and snuggle my boy for a bit, but I'll be back to address things later tonight.

Also, I totally thought no-btsc and/or even unknown-to-each-other-Lovers were totes a thing...like for realzies....but SVS is way more of an expert than me, so I guess I'm drugs on that account.
I still think such a role is a possibility, though, but I can understand a little better now the super-resistence to the idea if its not actually a thing that is actively done.
Huh.
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 340

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote:See, now this is the part that bothers me. Do like 4 or 5 civvies have BTS? Becasue it feels like several people are trying, ACTIVELY trying to keep Made from being lynched.

TBH, I might have dropped him days ago had he not had so many freaking defenders. Every time someone says anything about him, people fall out of the woodwork to defend him. This, more than anything he has done himself, makes me think he is bad.

Linki, I have never seen lovers that did not have BTS.
Completely agree. It is really weird to see so many people passionately defending Made, especially given how new he is to the site. Either there is an awful lot of info floating around that I am not privy to, or something very fishy is going on here.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Enrique, I thought on Day Zero that you and he might have had civ BTS, that was what gave me pause about my suspicion of him. Then he turned on you (maybe, kinda, not sure exactly what he did) and you said you might consider a vote for him. Now this theory comes up based on AP being Concorde.

Civ BTS partners don't need to distance. So i don't see the contradiction. i backed off of him Day 1 and voted MP becasue I thought you & he were in BTS.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

..ebwop, the way you got all spanky with me about me questioning whether he had civ bts. I thought you were vouching.
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 233
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

I don't think :wall: is insulting, I think it's good for showing frustration. :noble:

I have bobbed for apples. I wouldn't now because, well, germs.

Still on the fence about Made... Canuck's theory could be correct, but it could just as easily be a baddie Made, hitting the right guy to lead us all down the yellow brick road, maybe forever. Enough people have also expressed doubts that I have to cast my own in with them in agreement.
Mister Rearranger
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 75

Post by Mister Rearranger »

Long Con wrote:I don't think :wall: is insulting, I think it's good for showing frustration. :noble:

I have bobbed for apples. I wouldn't now because, well, germs.

Still on the fence about Made... Canuck's theory could be correct, but it could just as easily be a baddie Made, hitting the right guy to lead us all down the yellow brick road, maybe forever. Enough people have also expressed doubts that I have to cast my own in with them in agreement.
I agree, I don't think the mystery theory lends any definitive insight into what Made's alignment is.
We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't.

juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 243
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Hello everyone - after riding in a car all day I did think of a way Mades death was avoided but he could be civ and A Person could be civ. I don't think it's the same thing others are talking about though because it could be civ or baddie. And I'm not talking civ lynch switch. The other problem with my theory is I didn't have to google anything and LC and bea's interaction didn't really make me think of it. I just thought through all the different things I've seen in games from an ability perspective. So - I guess the important thing is I can think of a way he could be civ and avoided the lynch. Otherwise, this whole thing is frustrating that we can't speculate on abilities. Also, I don't have a high degree of confidence that the thing I am thinking about is true. I hope to God I didn't break any rules here.

LC, I saw your post and I will look up the reference tomorrow. Also though, since you posted another person has come forward with that same theory. I'll point out that post tomorrow when I point out the other. Thanks for your response.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 91

Re: Day 0 Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Post by Hedgeowl »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
Keterman wrote:
thellama73 wrote:Hey guys, let's fill up dozens of pages with Monty Python reference silliness to make it impossible for anyone checking in late to catch up! :feb:
How dare you!
I dare because I am supatown.
You want us to spam a lot?
:drums:

Also, stop talking about other games Llama, geez you're a mod for LORB's sake, follow da rulz.

Ok, I finally think I understand what Canuck is suggesting and it makes perfect sense to me with non btsc required and why AP would have no reason to defend Made possibly. However, in the context of all of Made's defenders that SVS mentioned it also seems strange to have so many defending him, but I think it uber unlikely that baddie teammates would defend each other so vehemently as Enrique did.
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Hedgeowl wrote:[
Also, stop talking about other games Llama, geez you're a mod for LORB's sake, follow da rulz.
What? What did I say about another game and what rule am I not following? I legit have no idea what you are talking about.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

My experience of the Lovers is usually BTS oriented. They are "together", lovers. Any host could do as they wish, of course. Assuming that is what the secret in Concordes role is, as well. It is totally possible. Concorde could also have a totally different secret.

Like i said, the fact that Roxy has not struck anyone dead says something to me.

A lynch switch is equally possible. I guess what bothers me about this theory is that the person propounding it gets frustrated :wall: when people say, well, it looks like a switch to me. Like her theory is a proven point.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Ebwop~ I understand her theory, I just don't know that i agree.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote:My experience of the Lovers is usually BTS oriented. They are "together", lovers. Any host could do as they wish, of course. Assuming that is what the secret in Concordes role is, as well. It is totally possible. Concorde could also have a totally different secret.

Like i said, the fact that Roxy has not struck anyone dead says something to me.

A lynch switch is equally possible. I guess what bothers me about this theory is that the person propounding it gets frustrated :wall: when people say, well, it looks like a switch to me. Like her theory is a proven point.
No one has pointed out that it is possible that Concorde was a lovers role AND that there was a lynch switch. Could just be a coincidence. Or synchronicity.

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yeah, I thought of that. Perhaps the baddies switched to someone who was lovers with AP, and it just worked out that way. It is possible, so is what Canuck says, but by no means does it exonerate, or condemn, Made.
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer

Post by Hedgeowl »

thellama73 wrote:
Hedgeowl wrote:[
What? What did I say about another game and what rule am I not following? I legit have no idea what you are talking about.
It's always sad when you have to explain your silly joke, that no one understands... :(

In the previous quote I was referring to your Supatown reference in response to Keterman, which was from Felt mafia.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Supatown is a well known word that I've been using for years.

Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 153
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:Supatown is a well known word that I've been using for years.
I feel like that is a lie since I have no recollection of you ever babbling that work before ever.

AND

Murder you in the face.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote: Murder you in the face.
Rude.

Hedgeowl
Money Launderer

Post by Hedgeowl »

Mongoose wrote:
thellama73 wrote:Supatown is a well known word that I've been using for years.
I feel like that is a lie since I have no recollection of you ever babbling that work before ever.

AND

Murder you in the face.
:srsnod: The Mongoose speaks tureth.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

*TagTeamed*

*Jazz Hands*
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Whatever. Y'all just be jealous cuz I am supatown and you are not.

Hedgeowl
Money Launderer

Post by Hedgeowl »

Mongoose wrote:*TagTeamed*

*Jazz Hands*
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 139

Post by Canucklehead »

S~V~S wrote:My experience of the Lovers is usually BTS oriented. They are "together", lovers. Any host could do as they wish, of course. Assuming that is what the secret in Concordes role is, as well. It is totally possible. Concorde could also have a totally different secret.

Again, my frustration has absolutely nothing to do with people thinking Made is bad. It has everything to do with me being frustrated that "my" theory (though I was not the first to bring it up, just the first to ride it into the ground :noble: ) is being misunderstood due to my inability to cleverly make it clear what I was talking about.
My frustration was directed at the repeated number of people popping in to say "I agree! A civ lynch switch makes no sense" in response to "my" theory, which was actually not about a cub lynch switch per se and therefore the "You crazy, Canuck! No civ would do that!" stuff wasn't really relevant to what I was trying to say and the volume of that in the thread was making it harder to make myself clear since so many people were reading me wrong.

Can this please be the last that I say on this subject? It is not my intention to continue beating a dead horse if none of you agree that this theory is likely. I'd rather beat a different and still marginally alive horse....like Mongoose.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Canucklehead wrote: Can this please be the last that I say on this subject? It is not my intention to continue beating a dead horse if none of you agree that this theory is likely. I'd rather beat a different and still marginally alive horse....like Mongoose.
:dead horse:

Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 247
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Mongoose wrote:Hells bells, I sneak out to yoga and this thread explodes. I scanned for my name and didn't see it (other than being in some quote chains), so holler at your local friendly neighborhood mongoose if I missed anything, sweet peas.
You just planning on skating by without anything to offer if we don't mention your name? :ponder:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

S~V~S wrote:See, now this is the part that bothers me. Do like 4 or 5 civvies have BTS? Becasue it feels like several people are trying, ACTIVELY trying to keep Made from being lynched.
Maybe they're all French, and using the fact that we don't know the roles in their favor?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

I wondered about this too and had a few different thoughts.

I feel like no one has ever defended me like this, so it really got my attention.

1. People are leery of lynching someone who is new to the site because it might put a bad taste in his mouth and he might not want to come back.

2. Defending or indicting Made has been an easy and non-controversial way to put some input in on the game without drawing too much negative attention.

3. Salad days.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Mongoose wrote:Hells bells, I sneak out to yoga and this thread explodes. I scanned for my name and didn't see it (other than being in some quote chains), so holler at your local friendly neighborhood mongoose if I missed anything, sweet peas.
You just planning on skating by without anything to offer if we don't mention your name? :ponder:
Dude, I'm running my own game. And I've been commenting plenty, notwithstanding junky OT tomfoolery. I'm far from a Low Poster. Not wanting to respond to everything in a fast-moving stream of consciousness thread is hardly tantamount to hiding behind Roxy's apron strings.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:

I feel like no one has ever defended me like this, so it really got my attention.

1. People are leery of lynching someone who is new to the site because it might put a bad taste in his mouth and he might not want to come back.

2. Defending or indicting Made has been an easy and non-controversial way to put some input in on the game without drawing too much negative attention.

3. Salad days.
I defend you in, like, every game.

LoRab
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 149
Preferred Pronouns: She series

Post by LoRab »

Oy. Still trying to catch up. And it's not working well. So I decided to read backwards from this point and go back a bit. Still working on the first chunk of the game--but I think I have a general handle on things.
Epignosis wrote:I for one am not impressed with God's grammar. Comma splices and missing apostrophes...come on, Lord.

Then again, your given name doesn't even have vowels.

Bet you didn't even make it past first grade. :consoling:
To be more accurate, God's given name doesn't have consonants. It's all vowels. At least in an ancient Hebrew sort of way. Sorry, couldn't resist comment
Made wrote:
S~V~S wrote:Dennis, lots of us love our OT. It's a game, we're here to have fun. You obviously never played at hedville, where the Mods threatened to flay you if you had too many srs posts.

Also, awesome that the baddies seem to be killing their competition, not us :D
Made wrote:...gonna go out on a limb and assume i wasn't silenced? Rip this weeks productivity...
My case came out to 3 1/2 pages on a word doc, so they're that. Also I like this Dennis dude, we should totally be bffs.

Calling out 5 quiet people

Dana
Squid (bloops/nijuukyugou)
LoRab
Boogs
And Ketterman who isn't on the poll for reasons.....

Canuck will moderate....ANNNNNNDDDDD GO

linki- yeah, I did say that MR. I also did this during Misfits with my "TRUST SVS" post....good times....
Canuck will moderate?
She's quiet but got really loud for the first time last night. She seems to know what's going on(Famous last words?-I mean this like she literally understand most arguments against people), plus her in a room with a bunch of quiet type people sounds amazing.
I think this is the first time ever I've been called a quiet type person. Especially in mafia.

I've been playing catch up, so haven't had anything to say yet. Don't worry. I'm here now.
Mister Rearranger wrote:I like LoRab's style and I haven't played with her in a while, so hearing from her would absolutely be welcome.
:lorab:

My eye is on Made. For reasons stated. And if there is a lover situation going on, that doesn't negate one of those lovers being bad. I agree with folks that it likely wasn't a civ switch. There are too many reasons that Made could be bad, that to me outweigh the possibility of a potential civ role pairing that could possibly exist in a form that makes both of them civ in a game in which we have no clue what the roles are. #occam

Also, if they were matched up, then why would A Person have voted for himself (herself?) and been the last person to vote? With a lynch that tight, I'd think there would be some sort of self-preservation and protection going on there and it would have been worth the risk to vote for Juliets in order to protect both self and identity of partner. It would have made the vote 5 to 6; in a game with all secrets, that's close enough to hope for a save based on vote manipulation. I'm just not thinking that situation likely.

Also, his case against you, MR, didn't make sense to me. To me, it just described your general, early game style--nothing that seemed out of the ordinary from what I know of your name. Perhaps it's because I've played more games with you, but the case didn't entirely ring true to me. And could have been trying to get heat off of himself. I have no idea what your allegience is, but that particular case didn't point out anything that seemed particularly suspish to me.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Mongoose wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Dude, I'm running my own game. And I've been commenting plenty, notwithstanding junky OT tomfoolery. I'm far from a Low Poster. Not wanting to respond to everything in a fast-moving stream of consciousness thread is hardly tantamount to hiding behind Roxy's apron strings.
Didn't mean to upset you Mongoose. You're clearly paying attention and helping, but had that comment come from someone less active player, I definitely would have been pinged.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 69

Post by Epignosis »

LoRab wrote:
Epignosis wrote:I for one am not impressed with God's grammar. Comma splices and missing apostrophes...come on, Lord.

To be more accurate, God's given name doesn't have consonants. It's all vowels. At least in an ancient Hebrew sort of way. Sorry, couldn't resist comment
Which vowels?
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Marmot
Marmot

Re: Day 2 Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Post by Marmot »

Made wrote:Also, MM was forced voted/voted hella early?
In response to your question to me yesterday Made, why'd you vote so early today?

Linki: No wess for you.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Epignosis wrote:
LoRab wrote:

Which vowels?
A E I O U and sometimes Y.

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:
Mongoose wrote:

3. Salad days.
I defend you in, like, every game.
Um. I don't think this has ever happened. Do you agree with the stuff I posted ^
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Didn't mean to upset you Mongoose. You're clearly paying attention and helping, but had that comment come from someone less active player, I definitely would have been pinged.
No worries, it sounds more defensive probably on paper than it did in my head.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote: Um. I don't think this has ever happened. Do you agree with the stuff I posted ^
Not really, except for salad days.

Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

My eye is on Made. For reasons stated. And if there is a lover situation going on, that doesn't negate one of those lovers being bad. I agree with folks that it likely wasn't a civ switch. There are too many reasons that Made could be bad, that to me outweigh the possibility of a potential civ role pairing that could possibly exist in a form that makes both of them civ in a game in which we have no clue what the roles are. #occam
Well, we know AP was a civvie. Do you think one of the lovers was civ, while the other was bad?

btw do we actually need to be so secretive about the Bea/Canuck theory? Last time I asked the hosts about role speculation they told me to speculate away, as long as I didn't reveal anything about myself.

@Hosts: Can we openly discuss what the secret part of Concorde's role might be?
ImageImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Why do you always delete the name of the person you are quoting, Enrique? It makes following your posts more difficult.

Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

That's a LoRab post, sorry, I copy and paste into quote tabs.
ImageImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Enrique wrote:That's a LoRab post, sorry, I copy and paste into quote tabs.
You can just click the lovely "quote" button at the top of every post and it will do all the work for you. Easy! :)

Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

Or I can quote the part I want to talk about and be able to quote multiple posts without opening a million tabs.
ImageImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Enrique wrote:Or I can quote the part I want to talk about and be able to quote multiple posts without opening a million tabs.
Sorry, just trying to help and make it easier for you to be understood.

LoRab
Loan Shark

Post by LoRab »

Epignosis wrote:
LoRab wrote:

Which vowels?
יהוה

which is how God's name is generally spelled Biblically; all of those letters, in Ancient Hebrew (and to a degree modern Hebrew) are representative of vowel sounds (although they can also be consonants...in Hebrew dating back to the time the bible was written (when what we now define as vowels hadn't been invented yet), they were mainly used as vowels.

Enrique wrote:
Well, we know AP was a civvie. Do you think one of the lovers was civ, while the other was bad?

btw do we actually need to be so secretive about the Bea/Canuck theory? Last time I asked the hosts about role speculation they told me to speculate away, as long as I didn't reveal anything about myself.

@Hosts: Can we openly discuss what the secret part of Concorde's role might be?
I think speculation is ok, but yes, hosts, please clarify.

And I don't actually think they were lovers at all--but as we speculate, I was throwing out the possibility that even if that is the case, it doesn't necessarily mean that both are civ. It could be a civ and bad sort of star crossed thing. I think the hosts are tricksy enough to include such a concept. Just pointing out all of the possibilities.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Unknown wrote:Or I can quote the part I want to talk about and be able to quote multiple posts without opening a million tabs.
Who was talking to again?

Sorry, no harm meant. I'm going to bed. :offtobed:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Unknown wrote:Or I can quote the part I want to talk about and be able to quote multiple posts without opening a million tabs.
Who was I talking to again?

Sorry, no harm meant. I'm going to bed. :offtobed:
I screwed up my own joke. :sigh:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

LoRab wrote: יהוה

which is how God's name is generally spelled Biblically; all of those letters, in Ancient Hebrew (and to a degree modern Hebrew) are representative of vowel sounds (although they can also be consonants...in Hebrew dating back to the time the bible was written (when what we now define as vowels hadn't been invented yet), they were mainly used as vowels.
Oh geez, you don't know what a can of worms you've opened. Rob is a Biblical scholar.

In my own studies of Kaballah, I always understood the tetragrammaton to be composed solely of consonants, with the vowels intentionally left out to make the name unpronounceable. Ancient Hebrew didn't have any written vowels anyway, as the diacritics were only added later.

LoRab
Loan Shark

Post by LoRab »

thellama73 wrote:
LoRab wrote: יהוה

Oh geez, you don't know what a can of worms you've opened. Rob is a Biblical scholar.

In my own studies of Kaballah, I always understood the tetragrammaton to be composed solely of consonants, with the vowels intentionally left out to make the name unpronounceable. Ancient Hebrew didn't have any written vowels anyway, as the diacritics were only added later.
I'm a rabbi. I'm fairly confident in my worm can opening on this topic. And Bible in general (at least Hebrew Bible).

And, as you say, there are no vowels in that era of Hebrew--so really any word has no vowels. But what's unique, or at least interesting, about the tetragrammaton is that all 4 letters are used as vowels, which is what truly makes it unpronouncable and, thus, ineffable. You can't pronounce vowels without consonants to go with them. Why make a word (or name) that uses only letters that are representative of vowel sounds if that's not what you're going for.

I mean, it's basically the same argument on both sides. It's impossible to pronounce based on the letters. I've never heard it explained as solely consonants, though (other than, as we've both said, there were no vowels, so it was all consonants all the time in written language.

Return to “Previous Jobs”