No votes

Total votes: 4
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 92
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Re: Ziggy Stardust Mafia

Post by Long Con »

TonyStarkPrime wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:59 pm what even was LC's plan if he nked epi
Honestly, my plan was for you to second-guess the plan and send it to Epi. :srsnod:
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 34
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

IIRC Tony’s actions were:

N1 Mac (rnged to Nutella’s role)
N2 Dusk (rnged to Jay’s role)
N3 Epi (rnged to LC’s role)
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 108

Post by Epignosis »

nutella wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:45 pm God fucking damn it Epi the evidence was all there and you just fucking ignored it. This could have been an easy win but you refused to think for a second. Grrrrrrr

Anyway everyone bow down to my Jaydar
nutella wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:49 pm I nailed both remaining mafia before I died, and Tony had proof LC was lying, but no Epi's ego is too big to reevaluate or consider a dead townie's perspective.

I feel bad for Tony having seen all this through neighbor chat too.
For someone so acutely concerned with how words may cause offense or negatively influence someone's mental state, you sure don't seem to mind dishing out some derogation when it suits you.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
TonyStarkPrime
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 104
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

Long Con wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:02 pm
TonyStarkPrime wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:59 pm what even was LC's plan if he nked epi
Honestly, my plan was for you to second-guess the plan and send it to Epi. :srsnod:
weh. I think you had decent odds if the plan was followed. Epi might've believed a blocked claim
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

Epignosis wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:03 pm
nutella wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:45 pm God fucking damn it Epi the evidence was all there and you just fucking ignored it. This could have been an easy win but you refused to think for a second. Grrrrrrr

nutella wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:49 pm I nailed both remaining mafia before I died, and Tony had proof LC was lying, but no Epi's ego is too big to reevaluate or consider a dead townie's perspective.

For someone so acutely concerned with how words may cause offense or negatively influence someone's mental state, you sure don't seem to mind dishing out some derogation when it suits you.
love you epi. it's my fault this went south
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:03 pm IIRC Tony’s actions were:

N1 Mac (rnged to Nutella’s role)
N2 Dusk (rnged to Jay’s role)
N3 Epi (rnged to LC’s role)
wait
never mind
epi's fault
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 89
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Hypocrisy blah blah etc. For an educator you sure can display an astonishing lack of critical thinking.

The mechanical bullshit didn't even need to happen. This isn't Tony's fault. All the evidence was in the thread already.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 61
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Gang, I understand if things are frustrating. Let’s please try to treat each other decently though. Remember that we still have a moderator on duty in juliets.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

let's all remember this is just a game, we lose some and we win some. there's no blame game, we win as a team and we lose as a team. :) i wouldn't have wanted to be in anyone's shoes this mylo/lylo
Duskfall
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 113

Post by Duskfall »

Bro you had the role pm to resolve the 1v1, what was the logic in voting tony??
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

TonyStarkPrime wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:04 pm
weh. I think you had decent odds if the plan was followed. Epi might've believed a blocked claim
That's what I would have thought, were I in your shoes. The fear that an already-LC-sympathetic Epi would believe you blocked me after Duskfall (the obvious kill choice) died. So I risked that you would try to circumvent that by going off-plan and sending it to Epi.

I tried to kill Epignosis that night... if it had gone through, then we'd be left with Duskfall getting no info from you, and that would be my game. Epi not dying made things more sticky.
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

Long Con wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:12 pm
That's what I would have thought, were I in your shoes. The fear that an already-LC-sympathetic Epi would believe you blocked me after Duskfall (the obvious kill choice) died. So I risked that you would try to circumvent that by going off-plan and sending it to Epi.

I tried to kill Epignosis that night... if it had gone through, then we'd be left with Duskfall getting no info from you, and that would be my game. Epi not dying made things more sticky.
alright, I was successfully outwined. there's no need in dealing with the rest of it, LC played this correctly.
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

(I'd hoped as a back up that Epi was telling the truth and would become lovers with you)
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

TonyStarkPrime wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:15 pm
Long Con wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:12 pm

alright, I was successfully outwined. there's no need in dealing with the rest of it, LC played this correctly.
you did your best! <3 thanks for trying. your plans were good, and had they worked, would have been legendary. gotta keep cracking at them :p

i got pretty excited when i saw Epi was unkillable. :biggrin:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Tony was a huge reason why we found ourselves in a position to gambit in the first place. He blew up everything we had tried to design with POE. This group was ours to eliminate:

Tony himself
Mac
Jiwon
nutella

So, Tony sends nutella’s role to Mac. Mac neighbors with Jiwon.

ALL FOUR OF THEM could clear each other. Tony deserves a ton of credit for that. It definitely ruined the game state I was working toward.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Duskfall
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Duskfall »

Tony not trying to rag on you ~too much but I will say that in mafia you can't always control everyone's reads, for example epi here tinfoiling was beyond your control. If he was going to lynch you despite being cleared, you can't control that, so it's not something you should be worrying about here. Your original plan was good, but you have got to stick to that in future games. If someone is going to tunnel you and gamethrow despite mechanical evidence that's on them, not you. By that same logic, you have to do your part to stick to the mechanical win.

Reads are subjective and everyone gets them wrong, that's sort of mafia. But mechanics are rigid so getting them is the most important part of the game. If there's ever a mechanical win, go for it, don't back out because you assume someone else will game throw next day.
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

Duskfall wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:24 pm Tony not trying to rag on you ~too much but I will say that in mafia you can't always control everyone's reads, for example epi here tinfoiling was beyond your control. If he was going to lynch you despite being cleared, you can't control that, so it's not something you should be worrying about here. Your original plan was good, but you have got to stick to that in future games. If someone is going to tunnel you and gamethrow despite mechanical evidence that's on them, not you. By that same logic, you have to do your part to stick to the mechanical win.

Reads are subjective and everyone gets them wrong, that's sort of mafia. But mechanics are rigid so getting them is the most important part of the game. If there's ever a mechanical win, go for it, don't back out because you assume someone else will game throw next day.
I think you're right Dusk and I'll take this as a learning opportunity. I'll note that the way this played out also was a mechanical win, but it wasn't as clean as my original option. I just overthought it. Bad!
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Thanks for the game [mention]NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME[/mention]. It's a jarring return to the kind of mechanical game construction I haven't seen as much since my time on RYM and a few games on HCR. I knew Tony was a major threat here because of his background. Us no-claim-accustomed Cindy Kates are in a tough place adapting to this kind of game, and I'm glad you gave us something to chip off the rust Nanook.

:beer:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Duskfall
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Duskfall »

TonyStarkPrime wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:27 pm
Duskfall wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:24 pm Tony not trying to rag on you ~too much but I will say that in mafia you can't always control everyone's reads, for example epi here tinfoiling was beyond your control. If he was going to lynch you despite being cleared, you can't control that, so it's not something you should be worrying about here. Your original plan was good, but you have got to stick to that in future games. If someone is going to tunnel you and gamethrow despite mechanical evidence that's on them, not you. By that same logic, you have to do your part to stick to the mechanical win.

I think you're right Dusk and I'll take this as a learning opportunity. I'll note that the way this played out also was a mechanical win, but it wasn't as clean as my original option. I just overthought it. Bad!
True true lmao
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

yeah this was a really fun game [mention]NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME[/mention] and i'm excited for your next hosting.

Thanks guys, I’m glad you enjoyed the game!!
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

Great game Nanook. I've now been beaten by LC in F3/F4 in two Nanook games in a row.

Honestly going into f4 I thought it for sure was a town win. LC did a great job keeping LC on side.

Whoops, I meant LC did a great job keeping Epi on side. My poll joke crept in apparently!

By the way tommy you got probably the worst thing this game, even the vanillas were either scum or got picked as a lover, you’re welcome ❤️
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I guess this makes DS and I 2-0 as teammates. :nicenod:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Duskfall
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Duskfall »

NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:41 pm By the way tommy you got probably the worst thing this game, even the vanillas were either scum or got picked as a lover, you’re welcome ❤️
You suck
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

This game is also a nice study in balancing mechanisms that many Cindy Kates aren't accustomed to. Given the style of games that have most-often been played here, 8 vs. 3 is never fair. With that in mind, I understand Epignosis's doubts about that, for instance.

But I think the balance here was quite reasonable. In a game of this build, the ratios must inherently tighten because mechanical clearances abound. This is similar to what the folks on HCR know best -- their ratios tend toward this tighter formation as well.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm also super pleased with the way our first two Racket games have gone.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

[mention]Long Con[/mention] you remain one of the most dangerous players in my world. Been that way for what, 10 years maybe?

Congrats to the Apocalyptic Naysayers!
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

juliets wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:45 pm @Long Con you remain one of the most dangerous players in my world. Been that way for what, 10 years maybe?

Congrats to the Apocalyptic Naysayers!
Thanks, Jules. I do have my moments, now and then.
leetic
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 37
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Oricorio

Post by leetic »

Wow, I was right on two of the three mafia on D1 and took down the other one with my role. Too bad nobody listened to me...
I'm a cool cat
Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Hall of Fame updated. :noble:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 108

Post by Epignosis »

Duskfall wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:11 pm

Bro you had the role pm to resolve the 1v1, what was the logic in voting tony??
The role PM I got had a title that wasn't on the album and the wording of the role PM looked phony to me, as though a player hastily wrote it and not the host. I compared the wording the Mac's role description which contained a reference to the song title and the wording of the role PM I got looked forged. Eventually Nanook did correct the song title, but I was still not convinced it was real. There were other scenarios I was entertaining too.

One reason I said several days ago that I don't like "mechanical" clears is because I (as a host myself) am fond of incorporating elements to keep players from being 100% sure sometimes. In turn that has made me increasingly mistrustful of things like that role PM.

And I don't know if it was mentioned (hell, maybe I mentioned it) that I had BTSC with Long Con during that last phase, and he (eagerly, I'm sure) helped me buy into these ideas.

My mind may not always function the same way as everyone else's when it comes to Mafia. Sometimes that works in my favor and sometimes it doesn't, but I won't apologize for that, and I certainly don't believe my intelligence should be insulted over a game on the Internet, but I wanted to squash any notion that this was an attempt on my part to throw the game. I don't do that.

I am sorry I did not get you the victory. I can only do better next time.

Thanks for the experience, Nanook.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/

(I originally sent you Star as the role title by accident, that was Jay’s role not LC’s. But, uh, it is a song on the album, and it flipped as Jay’s role name already.)
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I totally get it, Epi. It may not be easy to see for everyone especially from different game cultures, but this is different. There is a clash of philosophy at the core of how one may interpret mechanical data. We know how much bullshitting we have seen here over the years with mechanics, and how they can be used to obfuscate reality. So when they’re closer to an objective reflection of the game, it isn’t obvious unless you have been there before.

Games with very tight alignment ratios must necessarily be heavily mechanical in design, or they cannot be balanced. 8 vs. 3 only works if some information really is 100% solid. That’s just the lesson going forward. Epi isn’t alone here either — LC and I could have easily failed in designing this gambit. Hell, maybe we DID fail, and that can be attributed to our relative inexperience too.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Another interesting bit from this game:

LC and I had no BTSC on Day 2 or Night 2. We had to separately submit N2 kills, and if they didn't match Nanook randomized.

I sent a kill on Tony. I figured he was the rolecop thing and wanted it gone. I also wanted to try to egg nutella into thinking Epi and I are the team and maybe snag a quickhammer on Epi.

LC sent a kill on nutella, which is what ended up happening. Obviously it worked out. I wonder how the game changes if that randomizes differently.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:56 pm I totally get it, Epi. It may not be easy to see for everyone especially from different game cultures, but this is different. There is a clash of philosophy at the core of how one may interpret mechanical data. We know how much bullshitting we have seen here over the years with mechanics, and how they can be used to obfuscate reality. So when they’re closer to an objective reflection of the game, it isn’t obvious unless you have been there before.

Games with very tight alignment ratios must necessarily be heavily mechanical in design, or they cannot be balanced. 8 vs. 3 only works if some information really is 100% solid. That’s just the lesson going forward. Epi isn’t alone here either — LC and I could have easily failed in designing this gambit. Hell, maybe we DID fail, and that can be attributed to our relative inexperience too.
I should have been the one to come forward with the plan that Tony did. I predicted it in our chat, and I should have taken it a step further than just knowing it was going to happen.
DS.
Posts in topic: 55
Preferred Pronouns: GOAT / The GOAT

Post by DS. »

YALL GOT SO FUCKIN LUCKYYYY
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

SHO DID

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

DS.
Posts in topic: 55
Preferred Pronouns: GOAT / The GOAT

Post by DS. »

Well y'all also

But I meant town on accidentally sniping me lmfao
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

DS. wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:38 pm Well y'all also

But I meant town on accidentally sniping me lmfao
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange
Posts in topic: 45

Post by MacDougall »

This one's on me
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:37 pm This one's on me
Well, you were one vote away from the hammer anyway. Likely didn't change the game.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange
Posts in topic: 45

Post by MacDougall »

Long Con wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:50 pm
MacDougall wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:37 pm This one's on me
Well, you were one vote away from the hammer anyway. Likely didn't change the game.
Oh was I.

Still on me for not doing better. No way I should have been suspected here lol. I should have towned better.
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

Long Con wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:36 pm
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:56 pm I totally get it, Epi. It may not be easy to see for everyone especially from different game cultures, but this is different. There is a clash of philosophy at the core of how one may interpret mechanical data. We know how much bullshitting we have seen here over the years with mechanics, and how they can be used to obfuscate reality. So when they’re closer to an objective reflection of the game, it isn’t obvious unless you have been there before.

I should have been the one to come forward with the plan that Tony did. I predicted it in our chat, and I should have taken it a step further than just knowing it was going to happen.
then I would have been the one to stick with the plan hoping that you wouldn't go along with it

Return to “Previous Rackets”