Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: Death and Taxes: An Economics Mafia [DAY 1]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Day 1 ISO - TinyBubbles
TinyBubbles wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Especially TinyBubbles, since I asked if he was bad, and he never responded!
He is a she.
Dammit! Sorry, TinyBubbles, I even almost put he/she but thought someone said he somewhere. I must have been mistaken. I apologize! I hate messing up someone's gender. Lol.

Golden, how are you feeling now, have your feelings on anyone changed?

Now off to class.
Ah I was going to respond to your question movingpictures but I wasn't sure what to say, I tend to lurk by default on new forums. I didn't want to risk getting lynched early for saying the wrong thing. I'm a good guy, but I don't really expect you to just take my word for it (unless that's how it works around here? In which case I'm sorry I didn't post earlier! Lol)

And no problem about getting my gender wrong, it happens :)
this is the only post not in green OT text. the bit in bold up there, also highlighted by Sloonei should probably be viewed as a problem at face value. i don't tend to suspect players merely for lurking; i throw them in the neutral pile. but this degree of trepidation/shyness coming after this post does worry me more than the average lurker would. barely slightly a smidgen of a sliver of a mafia read more than town.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 1 ISO - Turnip Head

Nice job in the champs game. excited to play this game with you.
Turnip Head wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I think it's pretty dangerous that people are taking the notion that one of the 5 players to kickstart the game MUST be scum as a foregone conclusion. That encourages a narrower focus of suspicion not only in Day 1, but in all ensuing days until the alleged scum is identified.

There's more to Mafia than mere probability.
I agree.

Consequentially, I'm voting for Golden. I think he's bad news this game. :suspish:
very first post of the game aside from a Day 0 thing. well then. normally when these arbitrary votes happen i would check through the post history to see if it makes sense in accordance with prior stated reads, but there is no post history before this. he has come back recently though and expanded. also regarding him playing off-meta deliberately: i read this null. i don't know his meta obviously, but i like that he has been open about it. it doesn't mean he gets a pass, but i won't make a stink about it. sometimes people just feel like playing a different way.

http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com/viewto ... 08#p143508 - his case against Golden

he didn't like Golden's comment about one of the active noobs getting drive-by lynched. initially i thought it was a curious comment too, but more than one other player suggested he was speaking the truth. so i let it go. that another Syndicate regular has now challenged it gives me pause on that front. unfortunately though i can't take a strong stand either way because i know nothing about this place.

otherwise i thought Golden raised a good point in defense of this: that TH's case hinges in part upon Golden being off-meta despite his play being similar to previous games with TH. i don't feel qualified to comment on the validity of either assertion though because i have no understanding of their metas.

overall i don't think i can justify a town read on TH because he doesn't seem to be playing to earn one. i am not especially suspicious yet either. the vote was sudden, but he has given a proper effort to explain it. null read.
Spoiler: show
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 225
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Golden wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:
Golden wrote:So, why does that make me bad enough to vote for?
Weird way to phrase the question but anyways...

It doesn't make you bad enough to vote for. It just makes you enough to vote for on Day 1 to get some reactions. I think we've gotten a few, haven't we?

If you had to vote right now for the person you most think is bad, who would you vote for?
Epignosis. He reminds me of Keeler Epi, and that's the only person I can fit plum into a previous experience of them being bad.
The thing is that Epi makes these same sorts of moves just as often when he's a civ. He'll dissect dinner excuses and root out the baddie lie, even if it isn't there.

I don't mind being on the hook. My vote was certainly bold.

What did you think of Roxy's strong defense of you? She said she was feeling just the opposite as I was, that this was regular Golden we're seeing... have you looked at her comment from her point of view re: your meta, just as you analyzed my POV re: your meta?
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Day 1 ISO - Turnip Head

Nice job in the champs game. excited to play this game with you.
Excited to be playing with you as well, Triple J! :D
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 769

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

CLIFF NOTES on all my ISOs:

MovingPictures07

Dragon D. Luffy
Sloonei

sanmateo
Golden
Black Rock

G-Man
birdswithteeth11
Roxy
fingersplints
Dom
Turnip Head

acrosstheaether
TinyBubbles

Elohcin
Epignosis
Bass_the_Clever
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:CLIFF NOTES on all my ISOs:

MovingPictures07

Dragon D. Luffy
Sloonei

sanmateo
Golden
Black Rock

G-Man
birdswithteeth11
Roxy
fingersplints
Dom
Turnip Head
> Metalmarsh89 <

acrosstheaether
TinyBubbles

Elohcin
Epignosis
Bass_the_Clever
forgot a dude.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Elohcin
Epignosis
I wonder if you realize how interesting it is that you have these two so close together on your baddie radar :eek:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Turnip Head wrote:
Elohcin
Epignosis
I wonder if you realize how interesting it is that you have these two so close together on your baddie radar :eek:
unfortunately i don't. gimme the juicy deets.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

it's highly likely my vote will be on one of those three reds. i will not participate in a lynch of any greens.

tomorrow i am going to be extremely busy all the way through the deadline. so my contribution might have to be limited to dropping a vote when i must and bailing.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 294

Post by Golden »

I can't speak to Roxy's perspective on me, other than that she has played with me many more times and has seen that my baddie hunting does not always involve me immediately jumping out of a tree naked and bashing someone's head with the golden stick. I doubt I would have been so quick to jump into analysing your POV if it wasn't for the vote.

In fact, this game doesn't have so many people who have played with me more than two or three times. Splints, Roxy, BR, Dom, MP and probably BWT.

JJJ completely missing the overall thrust of our meta conversation just then? Seems to me he has the wrong end of the stick on that convo about meta we had.

People said that about epi in keeler too. I was right on day one. He was lynched on about day 9 or something. "Thats just epi" they said.

@jjj - eloh and epi are married.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
sanmateo
The Mark
Posts in topic: 214

Post by sanmateo »

Turnip Head wrote:
sanmateo wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:Yeah you're right, I forgot I didn't quote it. It's the post directly above that one, which is probably why I didn't quote.
you still say you aren't playing to your meta, i find that sus to say.

but tbh i feel like i'm missing out a lot on these discussions about your meta and golden's meta because i dont know you 2 at all
I'm not going to pretend I was playing like I always do, when I clearly wasn't. And it was immediately obvious to everyone who's played here regularly that I wasn't acting like normal TH. MM brought it up in relation to a point I was making about Golden, so I needed to address it. Check out the context
this is the second time someone has accused me of taking their words out of context or misunderstanding them so far in this game so maybe i am doing something wrong after all but i still stand by what i said. i think the way people phrase their opinions/thoughts is important and yours in that post strikes me as suspicious. its kind of useless to go on endlessly about this tho isnt it

i like that you've finally made a case on golden and i do agree with the point u make about their early post about the drive-by lynching and his response to your point about their meta is a bit cynical, at least the bit where he says " When I am civ, the way I act is part of my civilian meta, no matter how busy I am. ", surely if your volume of posting or involvement is affected your meta changes. what i got from that sentence is that he's saying he is playing to his civilian meta because he's a civ. which is a weirder thing than admitting to be playin off- meta
---
at this point i would probably vote for either metalmarsh for not explaining that vote or mp07, mainly for that post i questioned him about a few pages back. i'm not even considering the timing of the posts tbh, but i gotta admit it is very fun to see epi play. it sucks if mp felt bad after that :v.
i would like to see how golden or ddl vote to get a better feel of what they're up to but i have to go sleep and i'm not certain if i'm gonna be on before the deadline tomorrow
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Golden wrote:I can't speak to Roxy's perspective on me, other than that she has played with me many more times and has seen that my baddie hunting does not always involve me immediately jumping out of a tree naked and bashing someone's head with the golden stick. I doubt I would have been so quick to jump into analysing your POV if it wasn't for the vote.
Okay fair enough. But before I voted for you, before Roxy gave her read, what do you think she was seeing that caused her to react so strongly against my vote? Like I think it was JJJ who said, everyone else responded with a more wishy-washy "Hmmm this gets me thinking about Golden" way. Roxy came in hard with the D.

Golden wrote:People said that about epi in keeler too. I was right on day one. He was lynched on about day 9 or something. "Thats just epi" they said.
I know dude, I remember haha. And it was Day 5 I think, give us a break ;) My point stands though. I've seen him do this in maybe every game I've played with him. I think he's batting about .500 with this tactic. Someone said MP should have forbidden discussion of the topic, but that isn't going to stop Epi from pursuing the angle. He's seen, and I've seen, enough baddies lie about those very kinds of things to know that it's at least worth discussing, even if some people don't think it's kosher to do so.
sanmateo
The Mark

Post by sanmateo »

sanmateo wrote: i'm not certain if i'm gonna be on before the deadline tomorrow
this is partly due to me not being 100% sure of when the dealine is happening. does someone know how much time is left/when is the deadline in CDT?
Black Rock
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 28

Post by Black Rock »

Golden wrote:I can't speak to Roxy's perspective on me, other than that she has played with me many more times and has seen that my baddie hunting does not always involve me immediately jumping out of a tree naked and bashing someone's head with the golden stick. I doubt I would have been so quick to jump into analysing your POV if it wasn't for the vote.

In fact, this game doesn't have so many people who have played with me more than two or three times. Splints, Roxy, BR, Dom, MP and probably BWT.

JJJ completely missing the overall thrust of our meta conversation just then? Seems to me he has the wrong end of the stick on that convo about meta we had.

People said that about epi in keeler too. I was right on day one. He was lynched on about day 9 or something. "Thats just epi" they said.

@jjj - eloh and epi are married.
I have been one of those who say that and one of those annoyed by others who say that. :blush:
ImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

sanmateo wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:I'm not going to pretend I was playing like I always do, when I clearly wasn't. And it was immediately obvious to everyone who's played here regularly that I wasn't acting like normal TH. MM brought it up in relation to a point I was making about Golden, so I needed to address it. Check out the context
this is the second time someone has accused me of taking their words out of context or misunderstanding them so far in this game so maybe i am doing something wrong after all but i still stand by what i said. i think the way people phrase their opinions/thoughts is important and yours in that post strikes me as suspicious.
I'm not accusing you of anything per se, I'm saying I don't think your point makes sense given the context of my comment. You're saying I should not even talk about how I'm playing, even when it is directly brought up to me.
sanmateo
The Mark

Post by sanmateo »

Turnip Head wrote:
sanmateo wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:I'm not going to pretend I was playing like I always do, when I clearly wasn't. And it was immediately obvious to everyone who's played here regularly that I wasn't acting like normal TH. MM brought it up in relation to a point I was making about Golden, so I needed to address it. Check out the context
this is the second time someone has accused me of taking their words out of context or misunderstanding them so far in this game so maybe i am doing something wrong after all but i still stand by what i said. i think the way people phrase their opinions/thoughts is important and yours in that post strikes me as suspicious.
I'm not accusing you of anything per se, I'm saying I don't think your point makes sense given the context of my comment. You're saying I should not even talk about how I'm playing, even when it is directly brought up to me.
actually now that you say that it might be culture clash. i find it odd in general when people bring up their meta, it seems like people are purposely trying to seem town which is kind of scum's whole thing
sanmateo
The Mark

Post by sanmateo »

also deadline is at 5 pm tomorrow so i'll definitely be on a few hours before that.
acrosstheaether
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 131

Post by acrosstheaether »

Why does this website automatically log me out every day when I have the keep me logged in box checked?
Bubbles
The Mark
Posts in topic: 24

Post by Bubbles »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:Hi TinyBubbles. If you are catching up now, feel free to post your thoughts as you go. We'd much rather hear what you have to think than not hear anything from you.
Oh but its so fun just lurking ;)
Lol OK I'll try to post. Not seeing the case against Golden tbh. If I had to vote someone now, it would probably be a random. BTW how much time do we have left? My tablet browser isn't showing times

Also I can see how my comment about not wanting to get lynched for saying that wrong thing would ironically make me seem mafia, but I'm a good guy. Just not very good at this game! And at the risk of sounding even more mafia, I'll confess I kinda wish I was a baddie, so I'd have a chance to play from that angle. I imagine this game is more fun when you're actively pulling the wool over other people's eyes lol. When you're civilian it seems more like being interrogatd, like everything you say could be twisted against you, or like a deer in the headlights :eek:
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 191
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

sanmateo wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:I guess the difference is I'm being obviously un-TH like and Golden feels like he's trying to hide it.

I can elaborate when I get home tonight but if you're interested in looking into it just read his filter.
i get this is an Official Champion (TM) but pointing out you are deliberately not playing to your meta feels inherently suspicious to me
Why? I feel like that sort of thing is more townish, at least on the surface. We could get all into WIFOM, of course, but such an announcement draws attention to oneself, which is not usually something scum want to do. Unless it is.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 294

Post by Golden »

sanmateo wrote:
sanmateo wrote: i'm not certain if i'm gonna be on before the deadline tomorrow
this is partly due to me not being 100% sure of when the dealine is happening. does someone know how much time is left/when is the deadline in CDT?
In 'user control panel' you are able to change the time zone to your own so that you can keep easy track of the lynch.

Also, sanmateo, yeah even I don't really know what I meant by that sentence. I was trying to express that there are shades of my civ meta that TH has not seen, but I did it in a weird way.

@aether - that's an odd one. It works for me.

linki @tb - I think being a baddie is a useful experience for being a good civilian, and being a civilian is a useful experience for being a good baddie. Ultimately, winning as either is fun!

It's definitely good to come out of your shell a little. Would be interested to know if there is anyone you do see the case on.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

bed time.

everybody read everybody. :)

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 161
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

TinyBubbles wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:Hi TinyBubbles. If you are catching up now, feel free to post your thoughts as you go. We'd much rather hear what you have to think than not hear anything from you.
Oh but its so fun just lurking ;)
Lol OK I'll try to post. Not seeing the case against Golden tbh. If I had to vote someone now, it would probably be a random. BTW how much time do we have left? My tablet browser isn't showing times

Also I can see how my comment about not wanting to get lynched for saying that wrong thing would ironically make me seem mafia, but I'm a good guy. Just not very good at this game! And at the risk of sounding even more mafia, I'll confess I kinda wish I was a baddie, so I'd have a chance to play from that angle. I imagine this game is more fun when you're actively pulling the wool over other people's eyes lol. When you're civilian it seems more like being interrogatd, like everything you say could be twisted against you, or like a deer in the headlights :eek:
You are certainly allowed to play the interrogator.

In fact, I think you should interrogate Epignosis. :srsnod:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:bed time.

everybody read everybody. :)

I'm not doing rereads of everyone or ISO's on Day 1. Nooo way.

I've got two midterms on Friday, so I probably won't be around much tomorrow anyway. Probably...

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

sanmateo
The Mark

Post by sanmateo »

Sloonei wrote:
sanmateo wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:I guess the difference is I'm being obviously un-TH like and Golden feels like he's trying to hide it.

I can elaborate when I get home tonight but if you're interested in looking into it just read his filter.
i get this is an Official Champion (TM) but pointing out you are deliberately not playing to your meta feels inherently suspicious to me
Why? I feel like that sort of thing is more townish, at least on the surface. We could get all into WIFOM, of course, but such an announcement draws attention to oneself, which is not usually something scum want to do. Unless it is.
you could say this about any type of suspicious behavior
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

acrosstheaether wrote:Why does this website automatically log me out every day when I have the keep me logged in box checked?
It does that when I log in on my phone, but not my main computer.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

acrosstheaether
Stool Pigeon

I kept forgetting my password so had to keep retrieving it lol but I got Chrome to remember it this time :)
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

sanmateo wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
sanmateo wrote:

you could say this about any type of suspicious behavior
No I couldn't. Well I could, I guess, but it wouldn't always be accurate.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I think Dom is not posting because we called him emotional.

Or, just like how G-Man was (possibly) cursed, Dom might be silenced.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Dom is probably just busy.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I am mostly caught up now. I still have to look a bit more into some of the bigger posts from the last two pages, but I was starting to feel left out so here's some stuff.

Most of this site's regulars have been, unfortunately, blending together for me so far, though I'm starting to get better at distinguishing y'all individually. I'm sure you're all having the same trouble with us newbies. It's hard to learn new names and personalities while also trying to decide which of those are honest or not. BUT right now I think my top suspects are Bass_the_Clever, Elohcin, and Golden (roughly in that order), but nothing feels too firm at the moment.
The two votes on Golden make me a little hesitant to supply any more pressure on him right now, though. Neither of them came with a reason attached, though Turnip Head has since explained some of it, I think. Metalmarsh may have done so as well but I missed it if that's the case. I don't think Golden's behavior has been enough to earn my vote, though a few of his posts did raise slight alarms for me.
I'll highlight some Bass posts in a minute and explain why they're my top suspect. I'm holding on to my vote as long as possible and expect to be around for the deadline tomorrow (or at least near the deadline).

I got town vibes from both JJJ and Epignosis during today's events. Dragon is no longer a top suspect, MovingPictures is dead neutral. That's the best I can do for individualized reads at the moment. More to come later.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

acrosstheaether wrote:I kept forgetting my password so had to keep retrieving it lol but I got Chrome to remember it this time :)
Hello, have you been able to follow any of this stuff so far? What are your thoughts? What's your password?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I liked most of TurnipHead's big post about Golden and agreed with parts of it, with the one notable exception being this bit here:
Turnip Head wrote:I
Golden wrote:What I'd like to see now? A bit less of the same few guys talking around each other and a bit more of everyone else giving opinions on the four of them. At least then we have a bigger pool of people to consider their opinions.
Translation: Stop talking big talkers, and let the unwitting commonfolk round you up for the slaughter. I do feel there's a mighty big contradiction here from Golden, and these are two portions of the same post, so maybe he can set straight his intentions for me.
This is not remotely close to how I interpreted Golden's words. I saw it as a general 'Hey it's time for everyone else to start talking too' statement, although that "everyone else giving opinions of the four of them" bit does seem out of place, like it would be a deliberate effort to narrow down the focus of the discussion to just the four of us who were active at the start of the game. But that's just words and like semantics, man.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Bass fishiness:
Bass_the_Clever wrote:I really don't understand why so many people are throwing around DDL name. I could understand if people have played a game with him before and know his tells but this is his first game here and I have no read on him.
MM out of syndicate regulas who are you getting bad vibes from?
I also agree with splints MP is acting different to the new players and might be something to keep an eye on.
All three of these points seem a bit fabricated and easy to me, if that makes sense. The first, as I think Jay said in his ISO post, doesn't seem like an honest conclusion and I would add that the lack of understanding expressed here by Bass doesn't even seem realistic, as the reason's Dragon was being so widely discussed in the early part of the day were numerous and readily available for viewing all around (and to Dragon's credit, he was a big proponent of his own discussion, which is one of the main reasons he's not a suspect for me anymore). It should not matter that most of us have never played with him before.
The second point in this post is a very empty question, imo. It's a bit odd to direct such a broad/vague question at one individual, and while I can dig anything which will stimulate discussion, this particular instance does not feel like a very strong starting point.
The third is just an easy parroting of a point which a few others had already brought up without really committing too strongly to it or attaching much weight to it.

This is Bass's first game-relevant post, and it has the feel (to me) of a scum player trying to make their first appearance in the game seem like a concerted effort to generate discussion without actually doing or saying anything particular.

He's followed up on the MP07 observation with some likewise non-committal observation, never saying more than that it's something to keep an eye on (I'd like the posts here, but I haven't quite grasped how to do that on this forum yet. Forgive me!). This sort of thing raises the most red flags for me on Day 1. I see it as a way for scum to get away with naming a suspect but not actually delivering anything substantial ("leaving themselves outs" as Epi said, i think).
Bass_the_Clever wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Bass_the_Clever wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Bass_the_Clever wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Bass_the_Clever wrote: The one game that stands out in my mind was Dr.Who where you went after Zeek super hard and that was his first game on the syndicate.
LOL, yes, fair enough. But consider the following:

What if I genuinely don't suspect any of the new players?
Then it's fine I was just pointing out I agreed with splints that you were playing different then I have seen in the past. If I started to play different like if I started to posting a lot and I started pulling quotes would you not think something was up? Would you not want to watch me more closely?
I'd definitely think your behavior is different, but recognize that there could be many factors playing into your change of pace, including an influx of RL availability, or perhaps a desire to switch up your game for various possible reasons, etc.

Do you think I'm bad?
I'm not sure how I feel about you or anyone yet its only early day one.
You have literally no opinions on anyone despite all of the discussion thus far?
Do I ever have any big opinions this early? I have some slight pings. Like I said earlier I don't get why DDL was catching so much heat. Epi seems to be having fun so to me that usually means civ Epi. I was wondering about Dom he has been super quiet, does he even know the game has started?
This is his latest post and, while it's nice to see a few real opinions and reads here, none of these things feel very strong, again. I've gathered that others (and Bass himself) have said that Bass is not usually one to provide big huge analyses on Day 1 or anything of that sort, but I can't help but see a post history so lacking in commitment as anything but scummy at this point.

also does the use of the word "scum" bother anyone? I'm using it out of habit, but if it's an unfavorable term here for any reason I'll make an effort to stop.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

"I'd like the posts here" in my above post is supposed to say "I'd LINK the posts here".
how do i link posts, mafia friends?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
acrosstheaether
Stool Pigeon

Sloonei wrote:
acrosstheaether wrote:I kept forgetting my password so had to keep retrieving it lol but I got Chrome to remember it this time :)
Hello, have you been able to follow any of this stuff so far? What are your thoughts? What's your password?
No substantial thoughts yet... I kinda agree with JJJ on Epi but I disagree with him on DDL. Still don't feel good about them.
acrosstheaether
Stool Pigeon

I don't understand why Golden is the only one with the votes, but oh well, it's day 1, where I'm usually no good. I'll probably be able to dig deeper once more information surfaces.

I also apologise for having been online earlier but not posting. I was confused about whether my amended role was still an error since I rolled the same role twice.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

acrosstheaether wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
No substantial thoughts yet... I kinda agree with JJJ on Epi but I disagree with him on DDL. Still don't feel good about them.
Why not? Could you point to any specific posts? [Other questions Jay would ask]?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
acrosstheaether
Stool Pigeon

How do I ISO on this place
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

acrosstheaether wrote:How do I ISO on this place
acrosstheaether
Patsy

View: All/>>In Topic<<
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Hello TinyBubbles, are you reading this post right now?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
acrosstheaether
Stool Pigeon

Sloonei wrote:
acrosstheaether wrote:How do I ISO on this place
acrosstheaether
Patsy

View: All/>>In Topic<<
acrosstheaether
Stool Pigeon

MovingPictures07

Dragon D. Luffy
Sloonei

sanmateo
Golden
Black Rock

G-Man
birdswithteeth11
Roxy
fingersplints
Dom
Turnip Head

acrosstheaether
TinyBubbles

Elohcin
Epignosis
Bass_the_Clever
What's with MP07 being so high up in his own tier? lmao don't tell me you're masons again
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Sloonei wrote:I liked most of TurnipHead's big post about Golden and agreed with parts of it, with the one notable exception being this bit here:
Turnip Head wrote:I
Golden wrote:What I'd like to see now? A bit less of the same few guys talking around each other and a bit more of everyone else giving opinions on the four of them. At least then we have a bigger pool of people to consider their opinions.
Translation: Stop talking big talkers, and let the unwitting commonfolk round you up for the slaughter. I do feel there's a mighty big contradiction here from Golden, and these are two portions of the same post, so maybe he can set straight his intentions for me.
This is not remotely close to how I interpreted Golden's words. I saw it as a general 'Hey it's time for everyone else to start talking too' statement, although that "everyone else giving opinions of the four of them" bit does seem out of place, like it would be a deliberate effort to narrow down the focus of the discussion to just the four of us who were active at the start of the game. But that's just words and like semantics, man.
Easy enough to say in hindsight :P But you're right, I probably judged Golden's intentions too harshly with that comment.
acrosstheaether wrote:I don't understand why Golden is the only one with the votes, but oh well, it's day 1, where I'm usually no good. I'll probably be able to dig deeper once more information surfaces.
It's because Golden is right. Everyone is going to come in here in the final hours with votes out of left field.
acrosstheaether wrote:I also apologise for having been online earlier but not posting. I was confused about whether my amended role was still an error since I rolled the same role twice.
Sounds like something you're not supposed to talk about :mafia:
acrosstheaether wrote:

MovingPictures07

Dragon D. Luffy
Sloonei

sanmateo
Golden
Black Rock

G-Man
birdswithteeth11
Roxy
fingersplints
Dom
Turnip Head

acrosstheaether
TinyBubbles

Elohcin
Epignosis
Bass_the_Clever
What's with MP07 being so high up in his own tier? lmao don't tell me you're masons again
start of a new bromance?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I placed MP highest because i thought he looked pretty organic in his responses to the interrogation perpetrated by numerous players at once. Nobody else faced that kind of pressure this Day 1, not even DDL or Golden. I also thought Epignosis's series of accusations was rife with complete B/S, which would reflect well on his target.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 722
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

I believe I've defended myself against the points raised against me, so I really don't feel like harping on any of that conversation, but I don't feel I've adequately expanded upon all aspects of my defense. Consequently, one final set of statements:

Epi, if you really think I'm lying about RL, go for it, man. Vote for me. I realize that people lie about RL. I DO NOT lie about RL. Ever. It just doesn't happen. Every time I'm on this site I'm almost always multitasking it (usually poorly) with 100 other things. Was I actively working on my paper in those 20 minutes? No. Hence why I said "working" in quotes. I thought it was clear. I was telling myself that I've been multitasking it but obviously other things drew my attention. And yes, with this SAS class I've had a very irregular eating schedule, so I did have bean dip for "dinner". I also have been having CLIF bars for lunch and eating at random times throughout the day. I am sorry you felt as though I didn't comment on your DDL points. It's because you always question people this way when you catch onto something. Sometimes I comment. Other times I don't and just let you do your thing if I have literally nothing to add. I had literally nothing to add other than "I disagree" and I thought I had already made that clear.

sanmateo, I understand why you think that statement looks like buddying, but I don't understand why you would consider a vote for me over DDL at this point when at many previous instances you seemed to think DDL was clearly fucking with you. I find this noteworthy. Anyway, I do buddy to players when I'm mafia but I'm terrible at it, and if you really think I'm worthy of your vote, I can't stop you. I like to be as absolutely transparent as possible and I always want to make it clear how I stand on everything so I was amending thoughts that Jay had said with what I believed was a more accurate statement. I also wanted to make it clear to Jay that I didn't understand why he was leaving me out of the train of thought and, being a bit perturbed and also baiting to see if he'd react a certain way to me, said it in a blunt fashion to catch his attention.

I've been updating my Rainbow List, hopefully I can get it up before my class.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Other various things:

- Use of word scum doesn't bother me.
- If people aren't caught up, it is not uncommon for people, in the last few hours of the lynch, to: (1) random vote with no explanation, (2) self-vote (looking at MM), (3) agree with one of the suspects and drop a vote on them. I REALLY hope people minimize this.
- aether, yes, we are masons again. :noble: Just kidding, I wish, because that was a lot of fun.
- And, yes, start of a new bromance with Jay. :P

Going to elaborate upon players here in my next post.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Also, to make it clear, I will not be voting for any Syndicate newbies on Day 1 unless they fall into "moderate mafia" read range or worse, without any accompanying non-Syndicate candidates. I think it's only fair to give them time to prove themselves and get into a groove here, which many of them have done. I know this specifically goes against my behavior in many prior games on the matter, where I was indifferent as to whether someone was new or not as to my Day 1 vote.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

acrosstheaether wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
This makes an interesting pair of suspects since Epi was at DDL's throat for much of the day. If only one of those two is mafia, which do you think it would be?

Or do you suspect them as mafia mates?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sloonei, you asked how to link posts? Sorry I missed it earlier. Just click the "Re: Death and Taxes" part of a post and it'll give you the URL, then you can copy and paste that into your reply. I hope that's what you meant.

I'm running out of time, but still want to post my current Rainbow List, so it's coming, but it'll seem a bit rushed perhaps.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

RAINBOW SOCKMAN READS #3
Dragon D. Luffy -- (#1, #2 no change) -- As before, I still think he is genuine, but I'm certainly not discounting the possibility of him being mafia. That said, I'm almost getting ready to drop him, since I am seeing a bit of what sanmateo said regarding him coming up with what he needs to say after people have asked him to. For example, I asked him to name a top suspect and he said Golden, but before he had previously expressed no top suspect. That's a minor point, though, and it's possible he noted my request and picked one with a gun to his head, so... I still feel the same way about him at the moment. He still is contributing in a way that seems genuine and reasonable, but I don't feel solid about it to move him up to even "moderate" yet. So while I have been firm in this, I want to stress that.
Elohcin -- (#1 No read or unsure, #2 no change) -- I am feeling solid about Elo after her exchange with me and I feel as though I am seeing engaged civilian Elohcin as opposed to engaged baddie or disengaged baddie Elohcin. Her thoughts, while at first confusing to me, were clarified in a seemingly genuine fashion. I also do not think she would have fabricated such a suspicion on me if she did not believe it, especially with that reasoning. That said, I want to hear more from her.
sanmateo -- (#1 Very slight mafia read, Very slight civilian read) -- Although I would still like to see more affirmative statements from him, his interaction with DDL struck me as more genuine than not, and I think he was feeling genuinely frustrated, hence the escalation.

Black Rock -- (#1 No read or unsure, #2 Very slight mafia read) -- BR answered my call to hear more and her subsequent contributions to the game have been in typical BR meta (she gets more active and assertive as the game progresses) and reasonable. Back up to very slightly civilian she goes.
Epignosis -- (#1 No read or unsure, #2 no change) -- In #2, I said I believe his attempts to generate discussion have been genuine, but I'm far from convinced. Despite his aggression against me, I actually stand by this because he clearly wanted my input and was willing to press me until he got it (and I didn't really have anything to say). I know he acts this way regardless of alignment and many times I've been unable to issue much of a statement on him. This doesn't really change here.
JaggedJimmyJay -- (#1, #2 no change) -- In #2 I said: "Still seems like normal Jay to me. Not seeing anything alarming just yet, but I'm hesitant to trust him, since he does an impressive civilian attitude even when he is mafia." This still holds.
Roxy -- (previously No read or unsure) -- I want to hear more from her, but her posts thus far have been opinionated in typical Roxy fashion. Pending more contributions I can get a more solid (and accurate) read on her... hopefully (though doubtful).
Sloonei -- (#1 previously Very slight civilian read, #2 Very slight mafia read) -- I dropped him earlier to see how it would gain reactions from him and others, and whether it would push him to suddenly come up with suspects, but he's stuck by his guns (or no guns) and contributed in his own way. A return to very slight civilian for him.
Turnip Head -- (previously No read or unsure) -- In #2 I said, "his unique approach to this game, despite not saying much so far, has me leaning very slightly civilian." His explanation of his vote seems genuine, though it still strikes me as unique that he jumped the gun with his vote. I stand by my previous assessment, since his early vote and subsequent behavior make me feel really mixed about him.

acrosstheaether -- (#1, #2 no change) -- She has graced us with her presence, which appears relatively similar to RYM Day 1, in which she tends to lack confidence in any reads she may develop, so she nonchalantly does not bother to develop them, a la A Person for us Syndicate players (but perhaps not as extreme). She also said she is busy with uni which seems reasonable. I'm not sure what to make of her yet.
birdwithteeth11 -- (#1, #2 no change) -- Seems like normal BWT and I know he is very busy. Not sure what to make of him yet.
Dom -- (#1, #2 no change) -- POST MORE, DOM. Dom likes to question people aggressively and often has some good insight, even if we don't often see eye to eye. In addition, in my first game ever, Dom pursued me like crazy and was right, and it started a beautiful but complicated mafia rivalry between us. I know he's capable of really contributing to this game, but I also know his life is crazy busy at the moment. So while I'm certain it's not an attempt to lay low on purpose... POST MORE.
fingersplints -- (#1, #2 no change) -- Like usual, splints has contributed her thoughts so far, but I do want to see a lot more from her. Not sure what to make of her yet.
G-Man -- (#1, #2 no change) -- No idea what the hell is going on with G-Man. I really don't know if he's cursed (which would be very strange in a Day 1 before any night actions) or if he's faking it to get a Day 1 free pass (if he is, then brilliant but super risky move on his part, but it seems unlikely). So ?????????
Metalmarsh89 -- (#1, #2 no change) -- MM seems to be playing in a manner that's relatively par for the course, though I'm glad to not see the self-vote this go-round. It's probably a stretch to say he "usually" self-votes but he has been known to do so out of frustration as well as to measure responses and put pressure on other players. Usually he does engage actively in discussion but can be a bit slow to develop reads; consequently, his Day 1 vote here doesn't surprise me, but I do wish he would have explained it more or withheld it to more accurately represent his feelings. I can't make heads or tails of MM yet.

Golden -- (#1 No read or unsure, #2 no change) -- Something about Golden still feels "off" enough for me to keep him in the "very slight" mafia read range, but it's definitely minor, and I do agree with some of the points TH made. However, I do recognize that it's a pretty weak case.
TinyBubbles -- (#1 and #2 No read or unsure[/color]) -- She's new not only to The Syndicate but to mafia in general, so I'm trying to keep that into consideration, but the declaration of intent to random vote set of MP ALARM BELLS OF RAGE, especially given how much has happened in this game. For now, I will give her the BotD, since I do realize this game is surely intimidating for a new-to-mafia player's second game ever, especially if that first game was extremely low key. But dropping her to my very slight mafia read is a prod to get into the game.

Bass_the_Clever -- (#1 No read or unsure, #2 Very slight mafia read) -- And down he goes, but only to the "slight" read level, since I'm still far from sure we're seeing a baddie Bass here. That said, I'm really putting the pressure on him now by making him my top mafia read at the moment. Good points: I feel he engaged me and the thread in what he is thinking more than he has in recent games. I hope he continues this in the future. Bad points: His throwing out my behavior as something to keep an eye on, as if to bandwagon. Not having any suspects (though this is par for the course). He finally started throwing out slight pings but only after I prodded him considerably, which lines up with meta, but makes me feel as though he's hiding something from me. He could be a civilian hiding something, but he shouldn't be, and I really want him to engage more.

For reference:
Very strong civilian read
Strong civilian read
Moderate civilian read
Slight civilian read
Very slight civilian read
No read or unsure
Very slight mafia read
Slight mafia read
Moderate mafia read
Strong mafia read
Very strong mafia read

CRAP, my perfection got the best of me. Lol. This still feels a bit rushed but it wasn't as rushed as I intended and I'm a bit later leaving for class than normal, but I'll still make it on time, just it'll be close. So I really have to go, folks. Later today, assuming I get the time after class, I want to see if I can ISO some folks or re-read some (or all, if I'm lucky) of Day 1 to see if my feelings change. Some of the content is fuzzier than other portions and I've been here consistently even.

This early in the game I want to stress that I don't even feel moderate about nearly anyone. Still trying to get a feel for everyone and everything that's happened. Trying not to unfairly bandwagon anyone as I have in prior games, with feelings that were truly slight or moderate, blown out of proportion. I still find this approach for organizing my thoughts more helpful thus far.

Return to “Previous Side Missions”