Tree Mafia [GAME OVER]

Moderator: Community Team

What say you?

I enjoyed this game.
16%
I thought the tree I received in my role PM was beautiful.
14%
I didn't get a role PM, but the trees were still wonderful.
No votes
Why are you such a tree-hugging marmot?
16%
Thanks for hosting.
19%
I like beer and want to play Beer Mafia.
16%
I also like wine and think you should do Wine Mafia.
3%
This poll really needs an option with Ricochet's name in it.
16%

Total votes: 37
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 173
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: Tree Mafia [DAY 1]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Look at me, I'm a lurker! What a wild new world!

Anyway, pre-game peeks are randomized and always on townies. Unless MM adapted some new variety of peek which can be chosen for this game, Wilgy is lying about his red peek. I am reading the thread to indicate however that his false red might have been correctly placed, because I have been pretty underwhelmed with the way Diiny has handled it. He's been tame -- patience isn't necessarily a problem, but there's been no bite in his fight. No exasperation, no frustration, no emotion -- not what I would expect from any townie being called a red peek before it's even possible to be a red peek.

The fun thing is: DrWilgy's lie doesn't preclude him from being the cop. Or from being vanilla town. This is a setup that promotes controlled lying from townies and I am struggling to find a realistic mafia angle to explain what he's done. Well that's why he's doing it, JJJ!. Could be, but I don't take that first step of WIFOM without inspiration.
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 125

Post by Epignosis »

a2thezebra wrote:especially considering your current vote is on probably the least suspicious player in the game at this point, including yours truly
On Day 1, someone is only suspicious or not suspicious because people judge them to be such. You think Floyd is less suspicious than say, Sorsha or DFaraday?

In case it isn't plain, I plan to vote TheFloyd73 every day for his chronic non-participation. If he changes that, my opinion of him may change. May change.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Look at me, I'm a lurker! What a wild new world!

Anyway, pre-game peeks are randomized and always on townies. Unless MM adapted some new variety of peek which can be chosen for this game, Wilgy is lying about his red peek. I am reading the thread to indicate however that his false red might have been correctly placed, because I have been pretty underwhelmed with the way Diiny has handled it. He's been tame -- patience isn't necessarily a problem, but there's been no bite in his fight. No exasperation, no frustration, no emotion -- not what I would expect from any townie being called a red peek before it's even possible to be a red peek.

The fun thing is: DrWilgy's lie doesn't preclude him from being the cop. Or from being vanilla town. This is a setup that promotes controlled lying from townies and I am struggling to find a realistic mafia angle to explain what he's done. Well that's why he's doing it, JJJ!. Could be, but I don't take that first step of WIFOM without inspiration.
Which is more or less what FZ. said, and I understood it perfectly, and a2z is writing a novel about her of which Ayn Rand would be proud. :rolleyes:
a2thezebra
Hitman
Posts in topic: 187

Post by a2thezebra »

Epignosis wrote:
a2thezebra wrote:especially considering your current vote is on probably the least suspicious player in the game at this point, including yours truly
On Day 1, someone is only suspicious or not suspicious because people judge them to be such. You think Floyd is less suspicious than say, Sorsha or DFaraday?

In case it isn't plain, I plan to vote TheFloyd73 every day for his chronic non-participation. If he changes that, my opinion of him may change. May change.
Yes, I think Floyd is less suspicious than say, Sorsha or DFaraday. Your "suspicion" of Floyd is personal and at least you're more or less admitting it here, but that doesn't change the fact that you are advocating a policy lynch over many other town-preferable options. If you don't like his participation in the site, then there are other ways of handling it besides dragging down our chances of winning.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"wifom is best served in gallons" - Diiny
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Epignosis wrote:This post is biggest bunch of zebra shit I've ever seen.
I'm reminded of your prophetic "This is horseshit" in Talking Heads in response to a Russ post about Black Rock (both mafia). For that reason I'm especially interested in Epi abruptly calling posts some manner of shit. Could you point out the moments in that Zebra post which inspired this reaction from you? Maybe I'll agree. :nicenod:
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

I also look forward to Epi elaborating on, well anything really.
DrWilgy
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 114

Post by DrWilgy »

*quietly sits back and munches on popcorn*
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

a2thezebra wrote:I also look forward to Epi elaborating on, well anything really.
This post is without purpose. Why is this post on my screen? What inspired its creation?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

DrWilgy wrote:*quietly sits back and munches on popcorn*
Hmmm... Wilgy, this post is without purpose. Why is this post on my screen? What inspired its creation?
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
a2thezebra wrote:I also look forward to Epi elaborating on, well anything really.
This post is without purpose. Why is this post on my screen? What inspired its creation?
Hmmm...I think I'll follow Wilgy's example for a bit. This isn't the unbiased JJJ that I'm used to.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

a2thezebra wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Hmmm...I think I'll follow Wilgy's example for a bit. This isn't the unbiased JJJ that I'm used to.
Oh really? That incredibly substantive post made you feel that way? Exactly what would I say instead if I were The Real JJJ?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Yup, definitely taking the role of observer for a while.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

a2thezebra wrote:Yup, definitely taking the role of observer for a while.
Nah, you don't go around knocking heads around and then bail into Observer Mode immediately upon receiving some of that treatment yourself.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

DrWilgy wrote:
Hmmm... Wilgy, this post is without purpose. Why is this post on my screen? What inspired its creation?
Hmmm...I think I'll follow Wilgy's example for a bit. This isn't the unbiased Wilgy that I'm used to
Image Image Image
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
a2thezebra wrote:Yup, definitely taking the role of observer for a while.
Nah, you don't go around knocking heads around and then bail into Observer Mode immediately upon receiving some of that treatment yourself.
Sure I do, but that doesn't mean I'm ignorant of whatever consequences there may be.
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

DrWilgy wrote:
DrWilgy wrote:
Hmmm...I think I'll follow Wilgy's example for a bit. This isn't the unbiased Wilgy that I'm used to
Oh really? That incredibly substantive post made you feel that way? Exactly what would I say instead if I were The Real Wilgy?
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Wilgy, please stop spamming.

Zebra -- why "observe" now?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

Ok... I'm sorry...
Image Image Image
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Because if I don't, I fear I will stray too far from making sure being as objective as possible is my top priority.
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

JJJ, can you ISO Diiny?
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Enrique wrote:He's lying, and I don't see any way it's civ-motivated. I say lynch him today, worry about Diiny later.
Do you see a logical mafia motive instead? I've noted your suggestion that he's trying to lure out the "real" cop -- do you feel then that a mafioso would engage in what would seem to be self-sacrifice (on Day 1 even) to achieve that goal?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Epignosis wrote:This post is biggest bunch of zebra shit I've ever seen.
I'm reminded of your prophetic "This is horseshit" in Talking Heads in response to a Russ post about Black Rock (both mafia). For that reason I'm especially interested in Epi abruptly calling posts some manner of shit. Could you point out the moments in that Zebra post which inspired this reaction from you? Maybe I'll agree. :nicenod:
a2thezebra wrote:Okay FZ, I was reluctant to call you out on misrepresenting my argument when it comes to what exactly I think Wilgy is doing in this game in the last post I made, because I feel like I call people out on that too often when it's not true and/or warranted. But this is just too much. Let me go back and take a look at your magnificent concoction of assumptions and straw man arguments.
"Magnificent concoction of assumptions and straw man arguments"

This phrase to be over the top and unwarranted. It's Day 1. I would think a civilian a2z would be welcome of such things, not be suspicious of them (not that I agree of this caricature of FZ.'s contributions).

It's especially ironic, since zebra said this about my intentions:
a2thezebra wrote:Your "suspicion" of Floyd is personal and at least you're more or less admitting it here, but that doesn't change the fact that you are advocating a policy lynch over many other town-preferable options. If you don't like his participation in the site, then there are other ways of handling it besides dragging down our chances of winning.
My vote for Floyd isn't personal, and it isn't a policy lynch over "many other town-preferable options." How would a2z know which options were in the civilians' best interest? Unless a2z is a cop (and I have no reason to believe that is the case), then this comment, too, is unwarranted. Far too many times have I witnessed Mafia coast to endgame by staying out of it. If Floyd is Mafia, then I have no intention of letting him coast. If he's a civilian, then he's not contributing and wins if he's dead anyway (from what I understand).

But marinate on the "many other town-preferable options" for a moment. Note that a2z never specified which options those were.
a2thezebra wrote:My work here is done. If the rest of town doesn't see the value in your lynch, that's their problem at this point.
Of what value is this post?

Finally, in the end of the zebrashit post, FZ. lays out a pair of scenarios and a2z calls her a liar. I don't understand that at all.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

a2thezebra wrote:Because if I don't, I fear I will stray too far from making sure being as objective as possible is my top priority.
This would imply then that something you've said to this point has inspired doubt within you about your own objectivity? Which of your reads do you feel that way about if any?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Enrique
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 69

Post by Enrique »

It's not self-sacrifice if he gets to stay.

I can see a way now that it could be civ-motivated, but I don't think it's likely at all. Time will tell etc.
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Enrique wrote:It's not self-sacrifice if he gets to stay.

I can see a way now that it could be civ-motivated, but I don't think it's likely at all. Time will tell etc.
Does something preclude you from expanding on that civ-motivated possibility? This question sounds condescending, that is not my intent.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
a2thezebra wrote:Because if I don't, I fear I will stray too far from making sure being as objective as possible is my top priority.
This would imply then that something you've said to this point has inspired doubt within you about your own objectivity? Which of your reads do you feel that way about if any?
This is not the case.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

DrWilgy wrote:JJJ, can you ISO Diiny?
response

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

a2thezebra wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
This is not the case.
If you're solid on your objectivity to this point, why have you made it a priority to step back and account for your objectivity?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
a2thezebra wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
This is not the case.
If you're solid on your objectivity to this point, why have you made it a priority to step back and account for your objectivity?
Because if I don't, I fear I will stray too far from making sure being as objective as possible is my top priority. [2]
Diiny
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 232

Post by Diiny »

Essay over, feeling GOOD. NO STRESS. let's GO, boys. I haven't read the thread. Ask me questions. throw your shit. Because you're not lynching me and wilgy's lying
"I'm not 100% sure that Diiny isn't the last scum playing the best scum game of anyone's career ;)" --Job "sleepystalinist" May
"The serial killer has made it clear that he doesn't want to win this game at all and is instead interested in killing town reads exclusively. Whoever he is, he has no idea what he's doing and is probably going to blow the game for himself." --JaggedJimmyJay
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Enrique wrote:It's not self-sacrifice if he gets to stay.

Does something preclude you from expanding on that civ-motivated possibility? This question sounds condescending, that is not my intent.
I think tomorrow would be a better time to talk about this. I'm not sold one way or another, but whatever happens tonight matters a lot.

I think we've got Diiny nailed today, which is great.
ImageImageImageImage
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

*steps outside of observation mode temporarily*
Diiny wrote:Essay over, feeling GOOD. NO STRESS. let's GO, boys. I haven't read the thread. Ask me questions. throw your shit. Because you're not lynching me and wilgy's lying
What are your thoughts on FZ?
Diiny
Drug Dealer

Post by Diiny »

ALSO this occurred to me: do cops even get peeks on scum? I don't know how things work here but I've never heard it. He's lying so baaaad. He's so bad.
"I'm not 100% sure that Diiny isn't the last scum playing the best scum game of anyone's career ;)" --Job "sleepystalinist" May
"The serial killer has made it clear that he doesn't want to win this game at all and is instead interested in killing town reads exclusively. Whoever he is, he has no idea what he's doing and is probably going to blow the game for himself." --JaggedJimmyJay
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

*steps back in*
Diiny
Drug Dealer

Post by Diiny »

a2thezebra wrote:*steps outside of observation mode temporarily*
Diiny wrote:Essay over, feeling GOOD. NO STRESS. let's GO, boys. I haven't read the thread. Ask me questions. throw your shit. Because you're not lynching me and wilgy's lying
What are your thoughts on FZ?
Let me have a look.
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

Diiny wrote:ALSO this occurred to me: do cops even get peeks on scum? I don't know how things work here but I've never heard it. He's lying so baaaad. He's so bad.
This just occurred to you? Not when he first called you scum? :p
ImageImageImageImage
motel room
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 76

Post by motel room »

Why would he be lying?
ImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

@Epignosis:

I can understand why someone might perceive your move against Floyd to be one that promotes a policy lynch. Actually your stated reason for placing the vote is rather policy-oriented.
Epignosis wrote:Far too many times have I witnessed Mafia coast to endgame by staying out of it. If Floyd is Mafia, then I have no intention of letting him coast. If he's a civilian, then he's not contributing and wins if he's dead anyway (from what I understand).
The highlighted portion is the definition of a lurker policy lynch. Your vote is motivated by his inactivity -- his chronic inactivity (suggests to me that your perspective extends beyond the boundaries of this game, if that's untrue then say so). Inactive players can be anything and lynching them is by nature a roll of the dice. For this reason, a vote for anyone who has actually done something suspicious, however one might define that -- think in Zebra's mindset here, would be a better vote.

Zebra has expressed plenty of suspicions, so his preferred votes shouldn't need elaborating.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Zebra has expressed plenty of suspicions, so her preferred votes shouldn't need elaborating.
Gack, sorry again Zebra.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

motel room wrote:
Why would he be lying?
Does this revelation about peek mechanics mean anything to you:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Zebra has expressed plenty of suspicions, so her preferred votes shouldn't need elaborating.
Gack, sorry again Zebra.
No problem.
Diiny
Drug Dealer

Post by Diiny »

motel room wrote:
Why would he be lying?
To get me killed. I don't know how he'll squirm or WIFOM his way out of it. Doing such an obvious bad move could honestly get people to think it was too obvious for him to be scum in the scenario where I flip town tonight.

That or this is some really stupid town gambit and it's not helping in the slightest.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

*steps out of observation mode again*

I thought you were having a look at FZ, Diiny. :scared:
Diiny
Drug Dealer

Post by Diiny »

Tabs. Multiple tabs. More than one tab. Tabs.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Take your time.
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

Lol, Diiny go read the thread and tell me who is on your team
Image Image Image
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

Hmm... Do baddies know thier team pre BTSC?
Image Image Image
motel room
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 76

Post by motel room »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
motel room wrote:
Why would he be lying?
Does this revelation about peek mechanics mean anything to you:

I think Wilgy seems town - cop claim legit regardless atm. If he's town and taking a stab in the dark, well then.

I want to know what Diiny does.
ImageImageImage
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

DrWilgy wrote:Hmm... Do baddies know thier team pre BTSC?
From my experience in Pet Sounds, yes.

hi motel room
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Perhaps an important tidbit for those attempting to understand Wilgy MD: mafia private communication is only permitted during the night phase, meaning there has been none of it yet. If he's a bad guy who is just goofing around to see what he can get away with, he is doing so without giving his team mates any prior warning. They'd be forced to react live to his behavior just like the townies, and that's a difficult position to put them in.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Return to “Previous Heists”