[ENDGAME] - The Fellowship of the Ring Mafia (LoTR I)

Moderator: Community Team

So... what did you think?

I enjoyed this game very much!
12%
I will play Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
28%
This game was rather sad, like Gandalf's death before you realized he didn't actually die :O
12%
I found it strange that Glorfindel was both a role and a player all at once
16%
I wish that Day 2 wasn't 72 hours long
4%
I am a huge fan of J.R.R. Tolkien, and plan to read one of his many wonderful books in the near future
4%
Thank you for hosting Marmot, you were wonderful
24%

Total votes: 25
rabbit8
Undergoing sensitivity training
Posts in topic: 81

Re: [DAY 2] - The Fellowship of the Ring Mafia (LoTR I)

Post by rabbit8 »

So JJJ was bad in the game you linked to? That's a lot of reading for little gain when you could just tell me. If you lied I'm sure someone else played that game and would gladly call you out on it.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 164

Post by Epignosis »

rabbit8 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 pm So JJJ was bad in the game you linked to? That's a lot of reading for little gain when you could just tell me. If you lied I'm sure someone else played that game and would gladly call you out on it.
No. JJJ was a civilian, and Sloonei was a civilian.

They made up bullshit on Kylemii and got people to talk about it. They come from the same community as MacDougall, who apparently was pulling the same shit, but it doesn't look believable to me, especially since he's calling it a joke and voting nutella anyway.

I don't get why you are obsessed with me lying about something. I am telling your absent ass how people you don't know operate.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
rabbit8
Undergoing sensitivity training
Posts in topic: 81

Post by rabbit8 »

Epignosis wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:47 pm
rabbit8 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 pm So JJJ was bad in the game you linked to? That's a lot of reading for little gain when you could just tell me. If you lied I'm sure someone else played that game and would gladly call you out on it.
No. JJJ was a civilian, and Sloonei was a civilian.

They made up bullshit on Kylemii and got people to talk about it. They come from the same community as MacDougall, who apparently was pulling the same shit, but it doesn't look believable to me, especially since he's calling it a joke and voting nutella anyway.

I don't get why you are obsessed with me lying about something. I am telling your absent ass how people you don't know operate.
I know. :beer:
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 142
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Epignosis wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:38 pm
rabbit8 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:33 pm Where would he go with it? This is the line I have a question about. Just randomly accuse people based on some assumed bullshit?
I said as much already. People like JJJ, Sloonei, MacDougall, et al. come into a thread early and lay down some bullshit on people, and then analyze how people react.

It isn't about catching mafia. It's about generating connections among players so that when that first mafia gets lynched, they have something to look back on and find teammates.

I think MacDougall was feigning this strategy. He did it at first and now claims it was a joke. Joke or not, there is something there for him to analyze. He does not strike me as a civilian, no.
Can confirm, this is generally how I approach Day 1, and Mac comes from the same place as me. He's one of the best antagonistic players out there. I had the same impression of his "red peek" on nutella early on. Mac is currently saying that he hasn't been all that invested in this game. That may be so. I'll need to see how he looks once he does get his feet under him. So far all he's done is be an antagonist, but nothing has really come out of it. It's not the best look.

This also touches on what [mention]Ambray[/mention] said about me earlier. I'm defintely stirring shit as much as I can. Right now that's not much. But it's my style. I like to make people talk. The more they say, the more content everyone else has to look through, and the harder it becomes for bad guys to hide.

I'm currently pooped. I should be able to actually play this game for a little bit tomorrow afternoon, before the Patriots win the super bowl. You guys should give me more pages to read when I wake up, please.
My banners:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange
Posts in topic: 136

Post by MacDougall »

Epignosis wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:38 pm
rabbit8 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:33 pm Where would he go with it? This is the line I have a question about. Just randomly accuse people based on some assumed bullshit?
I said as much already. People like JJJ, Sloonei, MacDougall, et al. come into a thread early and lay down some bullshit on people, and then analyze how people react.

It isn't about catching mafia. It's about generating connections among players so that when that first mafia gets lynched, they have something to look back on and find teammates.

I think MacDougall was feigning this strategy. He did it at first and now claims it was a joke. Joke or not, there is something there for him to analyze. He does not strike me as a civilian, no.
Nah. Well kinda. Maybe I would have done more with it if I had have had the time and energy since but it was clearly a joke as well.

Ultimately you are wrong. I'm not gonna defend myself though because I frankly need to play less Mafia so lynch me if you want.
DFaraday
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 8

Post by DFaraday »

Mac is reading civ to me, and his explanation of the red peek being a joke comes across more as dismissing it as typical Day 1 shenanigans rather than a serious case.

I'd still like to hear more from Timmer, and why he feels good about me now.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 97
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Re: [NIGHT 1] - The Fellowship of the Ring Mafia (LoTR I)

Post by Long Con »

Marmot wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:04 pm
Fog on the Barrow-Downs

In the Barrow-Downs reside the Wights. They enjoy tying things up.

So do you apparently.

No one has been lynched.

Night 1 has begun. You have until 20:00 EST to submit your night actions.
Hey dudes, I was just doing some in-depth research, the kind I am of course known for, and I saw this line about tied lynches. "In the Barrow-Downs reside the Wights. They enjoy tying things up. So do you apparently. No one has been lynched."

So, I think that there was no lynch because that's how Marmot handles ties. :shrug: Maybe, Epi, it wasn't the worst possible outcome - maybe it was just two vanilla Civs. Or maybe DF is indeed bad.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason
Posts in topic: 156
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Post by Kylemii »

Long Con wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:38 pmSo, I think that there was no lynch because that's how Marmot handles ties. :shrug: Maybe, Epi, it wasn't the worst possible outcome - maybe it was just two vanilla Civs. Or maybe DF is indeed bad.
we had a no lynch tied lynch during day 1 of mountain mafia, so there's also historical precedent for that
Ambray
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Ambray »

Meh, there's bugger all to go on at the moment tbf - voting LC for now for same reasons as yesterday and open to move that as discussions continue.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

Epi/Jack tell me about MacDougall
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

So I was thinking about nutella, and the way Epignosis accused me:
Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:35 pmFirst, LC supplied a reason nutella could be doing this (whatever this is), and that reason is not on fleek. He was hella making up shiz to distance himself from this lynch.

Second, how is nutella your oldest Mafia friend if you don't know how she posts? Brah, you got to know yo boo betta than that. smh

I'm lowkey voting LC.
The 'First' part is what it is, not sure what distancing myself from the lynch is, but I know I wasn't doing it.

It's the second part that was on my mind. Was I that out of touch with nutella's posting style?? So I went and looked at nutella's posts in some of her most recent locations - her last game, and the SAW music thread. And her posts look like what I thought they did - well-constructed and eloquent enough, not slangy at all. Epignosis went and found the only example I could find for his accusation. And speaking in Yiddish or whatever isn't even in the same vicinity as slang. But whatever. I don't even feel the same way about nutella's posts any more anyway. I looked back, and I am like "what was I thinking? There's nothing there."

Then that got me thinking about Epi, and the way he's playing. Accusing me based on not knowing how nutella posts is weak. When he's Civ, he like to try and provoke the baddies into a certain reaction or misconception about him.

In Seinfeld:
Elaine(Epignosis) wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:15 pm I did the fake (fake, get it Jerry? HA HA HA ....HA ) thing twice already trying to make the Mafia think I was covering. I'm still alive for it, because the Mafia are idiots!
And again in Fiddler on the Roof:
Epignosis wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:06 amI deliberately played like trash early on because, like Sloonei, I had an important role that needed to stay alive longer than one Night. The easiest way to do that is to go to the mat with you and Sloonei. :noble:

Then I baited the mafia into killing nutella so that I could protect her. :dark:
...just to give two examples. There are probably more out there.

I looked for any element of Mafia manipulation in that vein in Epi's posts, and what I saw was a lot more careful play, a series of different mild accusations. Quite participatory, but nothing bearing the trademarks of the examples cites - double-blind fakeclaims or attempts to get his suspicion level up.

This is Epi's baddie game. *votes Epignosis*
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 85
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

hmmmm. :ponder:
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

I... dddoooon't think I agree. I think I'm seeing civ Epi so far.

(He also hinted, but that means nothing when there are safeclaims)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

also LC I maintain that I use a slangy/casual style a fair amount, definitely more on discord but I think spending a lot of time there recently has influenced my mafia posting style and in general my recent style has been pretty lax. revisit my first several posts in Mountains and compare if you wish
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 155
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

nutella wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:35 pm I... dddoooon't think I agree. I think I'm seeing civ Epi so far.
:nicenod: :nicenod: :nicenod:
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:44 pm
nutella wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:35 pm I... dddoooon't think I agree. I think I'm seeing civ Epi so far.
what, you his scumbuddy? :meany:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

what's the context for the Epignosis Seinfeld quote? what does covering mean
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

are social manips a consistent Epignosis civ trait?
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Kylemii wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:14 pm Epi/Jack tell me about MacDougall
I felt good about what I posted regarding MacDougall. However, I don't know what to make of his response, which is him giving up because he says he needs to play less Mafia. What's your take on him?
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Kylemii wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:49 pm are social manips a consistent Epignosis civ trait?
I do different things depending on lots of factors, including the setup and my own role. LC should know this.

Unfortunately, you won't be seeing LC vs Epi Round 19 today because I believe voting for him was a mistake. Also, football.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

nutella wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:43 pm also LC I maintain that I use a slangy/casual style a fair amount, definitely more on discord but I think spending a lot of time there recently has influenced my mafia posting style and in general my recent style has been pretty lax. revisit my first several posts in Mountains and compare if you wish
Ok, I don't really see anything in the Mountain Mafia posts that reflects what I thought, but as I said, I don't really think that any more anyway.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Epignosis wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:56 pm
I felt good about what I posted regarding MacDougall. However, I don't know what to make of his response, which is him giving up because he says he needs to play less Mafia. What's your take on him?
I'm not giving up. I'm just not going to defend myself. My day 1 was just trashy moron posts and if that gets me lynched so be it.

I basically have two modes. Phone at home short posts and cbf casing or at my desk at work with effort. I barely have time to Mafia at work and most of my workday is when the thread is sleeping anyway. So if you're wondering why my posts suck so much it's because I have trouble mustering the energy to play properly on my phone.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I lied when I said I'd have time to play this thing today. My apologies.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

MacDougall wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:09 pm
I'm not giving up. I'm just not going to defend myself. My day 1 was just trashy moron posts and if that gets me lynched so be it.

I basically have two modes. Phone at home short posts and cbf casing or at my desk at work with effort. I barely have time to Mafia at work and most of my workday is when the thread is sleeping anyway. So if you're wondering why my posts suck so much it's because I have trouble mustering the energy to play properly on my phone.
I can understand that. I don't even try to play on a phone unless it's unavoidable.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

mmmmm he seems more casual than I've seen him be before and it's weird that he referred to his gambit thing as being a joke when despite it's transparency it held an obvious functionality of breaking the ice.

it also seems possible his change in demeanor is a symptom of mafia fatigue. I'm kinda feeling it too.
DFaraday
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 8

Post by DFaraday »

Voting Timmer for now. He hasn't addressed my points against him from earlier.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 155
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

nutella wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:45 pm
Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:44 pm
what, you his scumbuddy? :meany:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei, eye see you. :eye:

I'm not satisfied with a MacDougall lynch. Where should I vote?
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

The Philadelphia Eagles
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:45 pm The Philadelphia Eagles
But not Gostkowski.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Half the votes are missing. :|
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I moved my vote to Ambray.

I hope MacDougall eats his Wheaties (and second breakfast too).
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

oh wow the lynch is at 5 i thought it was later
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

.......... it is later........ 24 hours later.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Kylemii wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:08 pm oh wow the lynch is at 5 i thought it was later
I thought it ended tonight too.

And here I am not devoting my full attention to Martin Luther King, Jr. speeches being used to sell Dodge Rams. :rolleyes:
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

You know who doesn't pay attention as closely?

Baddies.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I knew we had an extra day. :meany:
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Epignosis wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:10 pm And here I am not devoting my full attention to Martin Luther King, Jr. speeches being used to sell Dodge Rams. :rolleyes:
Was that not his dream?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Epignosis wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:37 pm Sloonei, eye see you. :eye:

You seem so much nicer in this game than usual :haha:

Is that a scumtell for you?
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

MacDougall wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:36 pm

You seem so much nicer in this game than usual :haha:

Is that a scumtell for you?
timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 43

Post by timmer »

DFaraday wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:34 pm Voting Timmer for now. He hasn't addressed my points against him from earlier.
What points were those? Where you didn't like that I voted for you?
My siggie.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Re: [DAY 0] - The Fellowship of the Ring Mafia (LoTR I)

Post by Sloonei »

Recuperating from a Super Bowl loss by finally getting around to looking at timmer:
timmer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:02 am
Sloonei wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:54 am
timmer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:53 am
Sloonei wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:51 am
timmer wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:49 am
Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:48 am (This is a thing that I'm doing.)
:ponder: :ponder: :ponder:
what're you :ponder: ing about?
Trying out the "thing"
Do you have an opinion of Jack thinging?
I don't know Jack. *distant rimshot*
Gives a null read on Jack after some banter. A stance is always preferable to no stance, but given that he's apparently never played with Jack and Jack is doing A Thing this game, I can't say that's a really bad look for timmer, but he's also not scoring any townie points for this.
timmer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:27 pm Did a read through. Not much stands out mostly becauseIve lost touch with peoples usual m.o. Not a fan of Long Cons posts but the attention he's getting feels a bit easy. Holding my vote for now.
Caution about the Day 1 LC wagon, but also expresses a bit of suspicion against Long Con. [mention]timmer[/mention], can you talk about the players who had been voting for Long Con at this time? Do any of them stand out as potentially opportunistic bandwagoners?
timmer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:55 pm Okay, so how have Day 1's been going around here these days? I see a lot of people either seeming to establish a meta (I'm going to do THIS this game") or reinforcing what seems to be their perceived norm (Sloonei "hi, I post a lot and ask a lot of questions") etc.

How does this meta-market typically end up? I guess I'm just struggling to find an entry point into the conversations.
timmer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:56 pm And for those whoo may not know me, or don't remember, I have a truly poor memory, so I can't really help/retain info about anyone's norm, so you'll have to forgive if I ask a lot of questions about things that maybe many of you know intuitively!
A couple of posts expressing a feeling of rust. timmer's been absent from the Syndicate for a while, so that's understandable, and from what I recall this sort of behavior doesn't strike me as out of character one way or the other from him. That said, it will be uninspiring if he doesn't come up with substantive reads soon.
timmer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:28 am
Sloonei wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 am
timmer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:55 pm Okay, so how have Day 1's been going around here these days? I see a lot of people either seeming to establish a meta (I'm going to do THIS this game") or reinforcing what seems to be their perceived norm (Sloonei "hi, I post a lot and ask a lot of questions") etc.

How does this meta-market typically end up? I guess I'm just struggling to find an entry point into the conversations.
My self-analysis was just an attempt to break the ice with rabbit, who wasn't giving me anything to work with. In fact, he still hasn't. He came in, made a bunch of nothing posts, then bailed. I want to see reads or some attempt to play the game out of him soon.

But uh, the meta stuff happens when new folks are around. I know I like to not be left in the dark when it comes to new players, hence my asking the two new faces (to me, at least) about their mafia experience early in the game.
You can enter the conversation right here! Do any players stand out to you one way or the other so far?
Yeah, I wonder if he's feeling a bit like I am? (Am i right that this is rabbit's first foray back in a long time?) I remember rabbit being someone who could post a lot or a little but no specific feature that would help you with his current output.

As for the rest, not really. I'm mostly just observing for now. I've always been pretty useless on Day 1, but once I get my hands on lynch polls I can correlate data wit the best of them. :)

I'd say the votes on LC seemed a bit easy, but then so did LC's own vote, it's typical Day 1 stuff. I'll mostly be watching for people making too much of a mountain out of a day 1 molehill, that's generally what constitutes my early pings.
I haven't played a ton with timmer in the past, but I've played enough games to have a slight handle on his gameplay, and I feel like I've seen him make this exact post in all our games together. He expresses the same sentiment about Long Con as earlier and offers an old-timer's meta read on rabbit that seems favorable. There's not a lot that's jumping out at me in either direction here.
timmer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:14 pm I'm going to put my vote on DFaraday.

I agree with his briefest of points about rabbit, that he hasn't contributed much, but then again, neither has Wilgy (all jokes), neither has DF himself ( posts), or novaselinenever (barely here), neither have I, really. In a game full of quiet players, singling one out who doesn't have an established meta while others with established metas run rampant with jokes etc and you give them a pass just feels cheap and like something a mafia would do. Why tangle with a meta people know when you can vote the new guy?
Ah here we go. A firm stance on something. timmer places a vote on DFaraday, citing that he seems to be unfairly singling out rabbit for behavior that could be applicable to a number of players in this game. I haven't looked too closely at the specifics in this case, but at face value I like that timmer was able to offer a Day 1 vote with a clearly articulated justification. I suppose I'll look into DFaraday and the commotion around this vote next.
timmer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:21 pm
Kylemii wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:17 pm hey okay. I put my vote on DFaraday as a placeholder and now he has 3 votes
Why does that bother you?
timmer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:24 pm Kyle, what do YOU think of me and Faraday?
I like these posts too. He casts his vote and then keeps the conversation going by grilling Kyle a little. I'll like them more if something comes out of this.
timmer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:17 pm
nutella wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:05 pm
timmer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:03 pm The discussion astound rabbit is been mostly that he hasn't played in forever. Even long con who had played with rabbit more then almost anyone admitted that it had been awhile and he's not sure of rabbits norm.

Discussion of a potential meta is different than discussion of any established meta imo
this does nothing to explain why you think DF is suspicious
Of course it does? If he voted for any other lesser contributor the odds of his vote being weighed against known meta would be higher. On day 1, avoiding that kind of thing is a ping for me.
Exchange with nutella about the vote. I think they both look good here, but again, i've not looked too closely at this.
timmer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:45 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:40 pm @timmer what is your read on rabbit?
He coasted thru day 1. He was basically a less jokey Wilgy. No alignment feel on that, though.
Null read on rabbit when I pressed him, but the word "coasted" seems to carry a negative connotation. Care to explain what that word means to you in this context, timmer?

I also notice that there is no read on Kyle expressed in these posts after that light grilling timmer gave him earlier. Got a read on kyle, timmer?
timmer wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:46 am Rip nova.

So im feeling better about faraday atm, no immediate replacement ping. I'll be around here and there for the next 24 hours with more activity after the Patriots win the Super Bowl!
Feeling better about DFaraday today, featuring an inaccurate super bowl prediction (we'll be back next year, no sweat timbo). what inspired this change of heart?

and that's pretty much where we are now. I have a few questions for timmer that I've raised here, but overall I got more town vibes than bad. I'd put him as a light green shade on my hypothetical rainbow right now, but awaiting answers to those questions. Probably not gonna be leaving my vote here.

linki: speak of the devil...
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Long Con wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:23 pm You know who doesn't pay attention as closely?

Baddies.
......I don't think that holds...
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Sloon I'll get to all that tomorrow I'm drunk and sad.
My siggie.
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

also other game is at a more critical junction
My siggie.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Re: [DAY 1] - The Fellowship of the Ring Mafia (LoTR I)

Post by Sloonei »

DFaraday's turn
DFaraday wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:20 pm I quickly read through to catch up, and don't have really strong reads atm. I will go ahead and *vote Rabbit* for now since he's made a fair few posts but seems to be avoiding casebuilding or even on-topic engagement.
First real post is a vote for rabbit. This is the one timmer cited in his vote. Faraday makes no acknowledgment of the other players timmer highlighted in his anti-Faraday argument. I could see rabbit standing out more to a player doing a quick catch-up. If anything I would argue that this post appears hasty and easy. That does not necessarily have to be a bad look, but it's not a great one either.
DFaraday wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:09 am
timmer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:14 pm I'm going to put my vote on DFaraday.

I agree with his briefest of points about rabbit, that he hasn't contributed much, but then again, neither has Wilgy (all jokes), neither has DF himself ( posts), or novaselinenever (barely here), neither have I, really. In a game full of quiet players, singling one out who doesn't have an established meta while others with established metas run rampant with jokes etc and you give them a pass just feels cheap and like something a mafia would do. Why tangle with a meta people know when you can vote the new guy?
Timmer is, intentionally or not, misrepresenting my admittedly terrible case.

My point was specifically that Rabbit seemed to have a high post count and low on-topic content. I went back and looked, at the time I voted Rabbit had made about 15 posts, Wilgy had made 12 (and literally half of those were posted altogether as a meme reference), and I had made one. And about half the players in this game (myself included) have quite a bit of experience playing with Rabbit in the past. I certainly remember him as always being jokey and strange, but also making insightful observations and taking strong stances. He does seem to have been engaging more later in the day, to be fair.

If anything, Timmer seems to be taking an easy option here and setting up a quiet player who makes weak votes as an easy target.
The first sentence of the main body paragraph is the reason why I'd expect rabbit to stand out over the other low-contributing players from Day 1. He had a lot of fluffy posts. But I think those fluffy posts are part of a playstyle of rabbit's (admittedly, I'm basing this off a first impression glance at the player) designed to attract attention like this. I defend wilgy from this sort of pressure every game, usually. But I guess this game wilgy is being overshadowed by rabbit.
There's also a little shade thrown back at timmer at the end, and DFaraday is currently voting for timmer. I guess I'll have more to read on this matter soon. I would like to know now, [mention]DFaraday[/mention], what is your current read on rabbit? Has anything changed?
DFaraday wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:11 am
rabbit8 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:46 pm
DFaraday wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:20 pm I quickly read through to catch up, and don't have really strong reads atm. I will go ahead and *vote Rabbit* for now since he's made a fair few posts but seems to be avoiding casebuilding or even on-topic engagement.

Why me, why not Epi? The same fucking case could be made, Yeah.

Bullshit reason, but not indicative of alignment IMO . Since all of our votes were complete fucking bullshit.
Yeah, I could have voted Epi, but I was speed reading and your posts stood out to me more (in the wrong way). I fully admit it was a weak reason though.
Talk more about this read on Epi, DFaraday. Has this one changed at all? You seem to, one the one hand, imply that your reason for voting for rabbit was weak, but on the other agree that his parallel argument against Epi would be worth voting for. How does this align in your mind?
DFaraday wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:06 pm Mac is reading civ to me, and his explanation of the red peek being a joke comes across more as dismissing it as typical Day 1 shenanigans rather than a serious case.

I'd still like to hear more from Timmer, and why he feels good about me now.
DFaraday wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:34 pm Voting Timmer for now. He hasn't addressed my points against him from earlier.
Civ read on Mac. Noted. But there's also not as much here RE: timmer as I was expecting. The points he does make are similar to my own, though. why the change of heart on DFaraday, and the accusation that timmer was going after low-hanging fruit. I hope that [mention]timmer[/mention] will address these points if he has a moment now.

I'd like to hear more from DFaraday about his current reads. It's clear he is not in love with timmer, and it makes sense that he'd stand out to DFaraday. The Epi/rabbit dichotomy is something that could use an explanation, and any other thoughts DFaraday has right now would be appreciated. There's not a ton that leaps out at me here either. Gun to my head I'll call him bad because my impulse is to be wary of players who go after the rabbit/wilgy type of players on Day 1.

linki: I feel ya timmer. mafia is my consolation right now. no one knows the pain and suffering it takes to be a patriots' fan, i tells ya.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Those two ISOs have made me change my vote to DFaraday.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

How do you feel about DFaraday?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Re: [DAY 0] - The Fellowship of the Ring Mafia (LoTR I)

Post by Sloonei »

INH is a player no one's talking about. Let's look at him too.
insertnamehere wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:50 pm
Sloonei wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:48 pm
insertnamehere wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:32 pm
Sloonei wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:10 pm
novaselinenever wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:59 pm
nutella wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:49 pm
novaselinenever wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:45 pm Good luck !
what does this mean
That I hope we all have a great game and enjoy it.
Town read.
Scum read. :mafia:
Go on.
Good luck !
insertnamehere wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:03 pm Real explanation: I've gotten so bored of the same cycle I go through at the beginning of every game of getting annoyed at everyone's (IMO) pointless reads that at this point I've decided to embrace it and just post random accusatory nonsense until someone does something worthy of actual suspicion.
I liked this exchange at face value when it happened. INH showed a bit of adaptability by making a commotion with a playstyle he would normally avoid. Granted some of that commotion wears off when he confesses to blindly throwing mud. You gotta at least pretend to preserve some of the illusion. Townie point nonetheless.
insertnamehere wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:15 am
Kylemii wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:05 am
MacDougall wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:53 pmCould you just. Is that because you are Mafia and you are aware that she isn't your teammate?
no it's cus I read the roles. :p there's no role that gets a "red card" on other players. you were doing a jay gambit.
*ding ding*

Kyle, that's correct! There's no goddamn reason why Mac would know anyone's role, (unless he's Frodo, whose secret role could theoretically provide rolechecks, or a no-good scummeister) so there's pretty much a 100% chance he's just doing some aggravating instigative gambit that only serves the purpose of muddying the waters and annoying everyone.
Kylemii wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:05 am
Long Con wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:53 pmWhat? If I see someone claim my role, I should keep quiet?
why would scum claim your role when they're apparently already set up with safeclaims
*bzzzzzt*

I'm sorry, Kyle, but you got that one wrong. There are thirteen non-Frodo-or-Gandalf roles, and only ten of them were given to civ players. We have no way of knowing whether or not mafia members received specific civ claims, or if they'll just have to try and choose wisely. Only the mafia members know this. I don't like that you seem to firmly plant yourself on one side, especially when it could provoke civilians to reveal their roles.

Unfortunately for Kyle, he's getting the first INH Eyeball Emoji Award of the game for doing something of legitimate suspiciousness.
But then he's back to criticizing Mac for doing the thing he was just discussing earlier. So :shrug:
He then gives Kyle his first allegedly legitimate suspicion of the game for... I'm not sure what. Looking at Kyle's posts, that seems like a pretty standard assessment to make. This game is setup so that the scum team would presumably have fake roleclaims.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:00 pm
Sloonei wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:52 pm I'm not all that interested in probing into Glorfindel's honesty policy. He's said he wants to get away from it and I think it's a cheap ploy to go after him with that anyway. I'm much more interested in hearing his reads on people in this thread right now.
Same.

Seems like Day 1 has turned into what it often does - an "instigatathon" to see who can provoke, via needling and probing, some legitimate suspicions. Unfortunately, it seems like all of the instigators are now instigating each other, (or going after Glorfindel) and producing nothing of value.
Dismisses the potential value of any Day content. This tells me that INH is indeed INH. There's a certain sincerity to the attitude expressed here that I like also. He's essentially giving the entire thread the finger for being too antagonistic. That's beautiful.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:02 pm
Sloonei wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:54 pm There's also Jackofhearts. What do we make of him restricting himself to emojis only?
Everyone say it with me.

"SELF-IMPOSED POSTING RESTRICTIONS ARE NOT INDICATIVE OF ALIGNMENT."

Been down this road too many damn times.
I agree with this stance and that's why I asked. I wanted to see if anyone would pounce on Jack. No one did, that I can recall.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:19 pm
DrWilgy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:15 pm
Ambray wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:17 pm So I suddenly am working non stop over the next couple days, quite literally so won't be likely around to vote tomorrow.

In all the games I ever played of mafia I only played 1 that allowed role claiming and I still find it hard to wrap my head around it being an ok thing to do nowadays and I really can't say that I like it as a an allowance, but thems the kicks. :shrug2:

I remember yesterday being pinged by somebody, but I honestly do not have the energy in me right now to go back and reread, even just 2 pages worth. xD

I am getting civvie vibes from Kyle so far and I agree with his assessment of the role claiming situation - I am surprised at the amount of people disagreeing with him and calling him mafia for it...
I'm going to follow his lead and vote glorfindel, just cause.

Sorry to be so useless so early in the game.
Ambray is baaaaaaaaaad. Sad day.
Wouldn't go that far, but a random Glorf vote before disappearing ain't a good look. Hopefully she steps it up from here on.
Tempers wilgy's suspicion of Ambray, but expresses his own milder suspicion. I don't disagree with this post. He's also made a few posts defending glorf, which matches my own behavior from Day 1. I like this. INH and I then had a fairly lengthy exchange in which he seemed to defend Jack's emoji posting, but then when I pressed him for GTH read he said "Nope." :shrug:
insertnamehere wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:52 pm I've liked enough of Ambray's responses to her many detractors for me to not want her to go.

In other news, I'm voting, probably apropos of nothing, for Kyle.

I didn't like his assumptions about the ways the mafia roles worked, nor did I like how he treated Glorf. His responses to Jack's accusations were kinda weaksauce, and his weird barbs against Sloonei for explaining Glorf's deal just come off really weird.

I also don't like the course of events that went: Kyle + Nutella go after Glorf -> Ambray follows Kyle and votes Glorf -> The thread defends Glorf, and public opinion turns against his accusers -> Kyle walks back/downplays what he said and turns on Ambray, claiming that her reasoning for voting Glorf is shadier than his own -> When Ambray shows up and responds, Kyle randomly switches to Faraday, possibly the most inactive player, who will probably not fight back against this lynch.

It's just all kinda spineless and contortion-y, with Kyle changing his stance and flipping on people quite a bit.
I don't remember kyle receiving much attention. I've felt vaguely good about kyle for the game so far, and I'm not inclined to view a Kyle who changes his mind a lot as a baddie kyle, but I've also never actually seen baddie kyle before. I'm interested in this suspicion.

He then has a pretty long exchange (by this game's standards) exchange with kyle that I'm missing a lot of the context for, and I'm also tired and running out of steam, so I'll just ask [mention]insertnamehere[/mention] if he can update us all on his thoughts and feelings RE: kyle, and any other thoughts he has on the game right now too.
Also if [mention]Kylemii[/mention] wants to talk about INH that'd be cool too.

I think INH is town. These posts read as the bulldozer of authenticity that is civilian insertnamehere.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

sloonei's back

Return to “Previous Heists”