2012: The Year in Music

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 6
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

2012: The Year in Music

Post by Tangrowth »

So it seems 2012 is just about over. What is your take on this past year for music? Favorite releases, least favorite releases, concerts, and what kept you musically occupied?

I will post my thoughts later, but want to see what others have to share first. I will say though, this year has been a fantastic year musically for me all around.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 4

Re: 2012: The Year in Music

Post by Epignosis »

Dude, I saw Kansas for $15, great seats, and Phil Ehart was the star of the show. He practically rearranged songs with his sticks.

Album? Echolyn's new self-titled. Best thing I've heard in a long time. Uplifting, depressing...LIFE.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote:Dude, I saw Kansas for $15, great seats, and Phil Ehart was the star of the show. He practically rearranged songs with his sticks.

Album? Echolyn's new self-titled. Best thing I've heard in a long time. Uplifting, depressing...LIFE.
That's killer, I am jealous. I agree that Echolyn's new self-titled is absolutely fantastic. Did you hear the new Big Big Train? I figured that might be up your alley.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Epignosis wrote:Dude, I saw Kansas for $15, great seats, and Phil Ehart was the star of the show. He practically rearranged songs with his sticks.

That's killer, I am jealous. I agree that Echolyn's new self-titled is absolutely fantastic. Did you hear the new Big Big Train? I figured that might be up your alley.
Honestly, I can't get into Big Big Train. I've tried. Just...dull neo prog to me.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:

Honestly, I can't get into Big Big Train. I've tried. Just...dull neo prog to me.
I can understand that. I have to be in the right mood for it, but when I am, it's pretty solid.
reywaS
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by reywaS »

I love ALL kinds of music. Classic hip hop is probably my favorite along with classic rock. By classic hip hop, I of course mean hip hop from 1992-1997, and classic rock to me means everything from the 60s and 70s...some 80s.

Having said that, I have been overall disappointed with the way hip hop has turned in the last decade plus. There are the occasional albums that come out that would compete with the classic era, and I was fortunate enough to come across one this year. Kendrick Lamar's "Good Kid Maad City" was excellent! I know I'm probably in the extreme minority around here as far as being a fan of hip hop is concerned, but if there are any hip hop heads around these parts, I definitely recommend this album.

Some day, Some day
Some day I'll, I wanna wear a starry crown
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

reywaS wrote:I love ALL kinds of music. Classic hip hop is probably my favorite along with classic rock. By classic hip hop, I of course mean hip hop from 1992-1997, and classic rock to me means everything from the 60s and 70s...some 80s.

Having said that, I have been overall disappointed with the way hip hop has turned in the last decade plus. There are the occasional albums that come out that would compete with the classic era, and I was fortunate enough to come across one this year. Kendrick Lamar's "Good Kid Maad City" was excellent! I know I'm probably in the extreme minority around here as far as being a fan of hip hop is concerned, but if there are any hip hop heads around these parts, I definitely recommend this album.

Put me in the same boat as loving all kinds of music.

I'll definitely have to give this a proper listen; I haven't heard this one yet.
Fedora With Hat

Post by Fedora With Hat »

I thought 2012 was pretty good musically. 2010 definitely beats it (IMO [and only mine it seems]) and 2011 might just eek it out, but it's close. I'm still finalizing my top 10 for PA but it should include most of the following:

Corima - Quetzalcoatl
Can - The Lost Tapes
Om - Advatic Songs
Forgas Band Phenomena - Acte V
Trioscapes - Separate Realities
Kotebel - Concerto For Piano & Electric Ensemble
Hidria Spacefolk - Astronautica
Anglagard - VO
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - A!DB!A!
The World Heritage - Travelling Silk Road
VDGG - Alt
AV - Valta
Under normal circumstances, please place the iguanas underneath the Earth's orbit.
Guns or gnus...what's the difference?!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Fedora With Hat wrote:I thought 2012 was pretty good musically. 2010 definitely beats it (IMO [and only mine it seems]) and 2011 might just eek it out, but it's close. I'm still finalizing my top 10 for PA but it should include most of the following:

Corima - Quetzalcoatl
Can - The Lost Tapes
Om - Advatic Songs
Anglagard - VO
VDGG - Alt
AV - Valta
That's an awesome list. Glad to see another fan of Om for sure and also Trioscapes.

I heard about Trioscapes from BWT, it's pretty awesome stuff. I'll have to think about what my top 10 would have been and post it here as well.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

1. Echolyn - echolyn
2. Astra - The Black Chord
3. Magma - Felicite Thosz
4. Anathema - Weather Systems
5. The Tea Club - Quickly Quickly Quickly

That's all I've got. Sad, I know, but there we are.

If you have not checked out #1, please do yourself a great favor and listen for free here:

http://echolyn.bandcamp.com/album/echol ... khz-16-bit
Fedora With Hat

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Fedora With Hat wrote:I thought 2012 was pretty good musically. 2010 definitely beats it (IMO [and only mine it seems]) and 2011 might just eek it out, but it's close. I'm still finalizing my top 10 for PA but it should include most of the following:

Corima - Quetzalcoatl
Can - The Lost Tapes
Om - Advatic Songs
Anglagard - VO
VDGG - Alt
AV - Valta
That's an awesome list. Glad to see another fan of Om for sure and also Trioscapes.

I heard about Trioscapes from BWT, it's pretty awesome stuff. I'll have to think about what my top 10 would have been and post it here as well.
I've liked Om for awhile, but they totally hit it out of the park on this one. Love all the other influences permeating their traditional sound. No idea how I heard about Trioscapes...I assume random thread on PA. Wasn't expect to much, but they too did some great stuff. Love the sax work especially, and the drumming is nothing to ignore either.
Under normal circumstances, please place the iguanas underneath the Earth's orbit.
Fedora With Hat

Epignosis wrote:1. Echolyn - echolyn

If you have not checked out #1, please do yourself a great favor and listen for free here:

I have it and was underwhelmed. I suspect I just haven't given it enough time though, as (mostly) everyone seems to have good things to say about it.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Fedora With Hat wrote:

I have it and was underwhelmed. I suspect I just haven't given it enough time though, as (mostly) everyone seems to have good things to say about it.
I love the music, but the lyrics really hit home for me on several songs. "When Sunday Spills" breaks my heart every time I hear it.
Fedora With Hat

Epignosis wrote:
Fedora With Hat wrote:

I love the music, but the lyrics really hit home for me on several songs. "When Sunday Spills" breaks my heart every time I hear it.
Ahh yeah...that makes sense. I'll be sure to give those a read before I listen to it again.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Okay, I think I have finally figured this out. I think. It's tough because there were SO many good albums last year. All 10 of these are very excellent.

1. Rush - Clockwork Angels
2. Animal Collective - Centipede Hz
3. The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now
4. The Mars Volta - Noctourniquet
5. Grizzly Bear - Shields
6. Sigur Ros - Valtari
7. Beach House - Bloom
8. Swans - The Seer
9. Big Big Train - English Electric (Part One)
10. Dead Can Dance - Anastasis

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”