Hogwarts Mafia - END

Moderator: Community Team

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 879
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Hogwarts Mafia - Day 1

Post by nutella »

Or do you just mean that epi would have asked that question to whomever he had btsc with? And juliets would have seen it there instead? That still seems far fetched to me (you can't even spoiler tag things in btsc can you?) but whatever. I don't suspect anyone from this topic so we can drop it.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 421

Post by speedchuck »

Owner of a Lonely Heart wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:29 am Or in my mind, both relate to the one who isn't to be named. The Deathly Hallows wouldn't exist without the dark arts I think.
:confused2: I didn't read this book.

Feel like you're trying to overexplain here. Why else would you make up that connection? The Deathly Hallows have nothing to do with Voldy, nor were they created using Dark Arts. Nor are they used with Dark Arts.
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

nutella wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:57 am Or do you just mean that epi would have asked that question to whomever he had btsc with? And juliets would have seen it there instead? That still seems far fetched to me (you can't even spoiler tag things in btsc can you?) but whatever. I don't suspect anyone from this topic so we can drop it.
Do you suspect anyone from their reaction to the topic though?

:dead horse:
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 155
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:46 am
I think I associate Dark Arts with Deathly Hallows as they are relatively both dark things. Or in my mind, both relate to the one who isn't to be named. The Deathly Hallows wouldn't exist without the dark arts I think.

It's like when I say scum. When I think of scum, I think both mafia and 3p (third party) are scum. Some sites like NF have taught me sometimes indies aren't scum.
Cool so I'm now 80% sure you slipped up.
I'm not suspicious of the 'slip', because when speedchuck explained that the Hallows going to the last voter was in the rules, I went to the Dark Arts section and looked, and went back to his post and realized the Hallows were a different thing. So the "relatively dark things" explanation is kosher to me.

Also, that reference to "the one who isn't to be named" might be pertinent. Maybe everyone should use that term instead of the V-word during this game.
poutanko
The Mark
Posts in topic: 223

Post by poutanko »

Can't we just state we're Town so whoever have the Veritaserum can use it whenever they want to whoever they want without asking their sus about it (so not giving a hint/clue about them having the potion)? Image

...I'll re-read the thread in the morning, too sleepy to translate these Pumpkin Throwing fest between DH-Owner, JJJ-Juliet-Epi-Quin Image on first impression both Owner and JJJ come off as too strong going after their targets. Idk if JJJ is normally like this (some said he's sus, some didn't react even a bit), he doesn't seem like new here albeit he doesn't have grandpa vibe yet. Owner - last time I played with her and she's scum, she didn't tunnel this much. Her reasoning is weird tho but she's always weird by default Image
So tell me, where shall I go? To the left, where nothing's right? Or to the right, where nothing's left?
poutanko
The Mark

Post by poutanko »

I'm Town btw.
So tell me, where shall I go? To the left, where nothing's right? Or to the right, where nothing's left?
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:03 am
speedchuck wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:02 am
DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:00 am Did Owner slip when she conflated Dark Arts and Deathly Hallows mechanics?
I don't know how that would be a slip. They're two completely different things.

... unless you meant townslip.
No I mean did she scumslip. They're two completely different things. One of them you were talking about, the other one you weren't.
Definitely a townslip.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
karavalenge
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 75

Post by karavalenge »

Owner of a Lonely Heart wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:29 am
DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:14 am
speedchuck wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:05 am
DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:03 am
speedchuck wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:02 am
DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:00 am Did Owner slip when she conflated Dark Arts and Deathly Hallows mechanics?
I don't know how that would be a slip. They're two completely different things.

... unless you meant townslip.
No I mean did she scumslip. They're two completely different things. One of them you were talking about, the other one you weren't.
=.=

Yeah I don't get it.
Ok I'll walk you though it, because I love you.

Here you explain the Deathly Hallows mechanic. Which, since they're all locked behind secrets, the basic gist is "You get one if you kill the guys that have them or if you're the last vote on the guys that have one"

Here Owner says "Dark Arts" and not "Deathly Hallows". Her exact quote will be helpful in understanding my thought process so here:
Owner of a Lonely Heart wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:12 am
speedchuck wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:04 am :) what about me, owner? Give DH a break and flag me for a bit.
You knowing the intricacies of the Dark Arts stuff and sharing it could be an act to try to buy townie points. I remember reading the stuff about it but not nearly picking up enough about it to understand it all. Basically, if someone had or possessed Dark Arts abilities this game, they would probably read up on it or make sure they understood their abilities.

Technically, what you said is some form of mechanical-talk or a retelling of information, in which some of it is free to us. But it doesn't necessarily solve us the game or anything.

It's potenitally the kind of post meant to look like a person is being useful, but in reality, they aren't truly really adding to the thread.
"The intricacies of" - What's intricate about [SECRET] and "Keep what you kill"
"The Dark Arts Stuff" - if you've got Dark Arts on the mind and someone says Deathly Hallows, you might confuse the two. Freudian Slippage.
"I remember reading the stuff about it but not nearly picking up enough...." - [Secrets] and "Keep what you kill" doesn't strike me as hard to retain.

IDK thinking out loud, the best indicator of an actual slip here is conflating "Dark Arts" with "Deathly Hallows" because she had "Dark Arts" on the mind.
I think I associate Dark Arts with Deathly Hallows as they are relatively both dark things. Or in my mind, both relate to the one who isn't to be named. The Deathly Hallows wouldn't exist without the dark arts I think.

It's like when I say scum. When I think of scum, I think both mafia and 3p (third party) are scum. Some sites like NF have taught me sometimes indies aren't scum.
This really looks like Owner both is scum and has a Deathly Hallow and got mixed up cause it was altogether in their role card.

It's also possible that they're just confused because the ruleset is really confusing.
poutanko
The Mark

Post by poutanko »

Good impression from Luna and Colin Image
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 1042

Post by DharmaHelper »

Can someone explain to me the "town" portion of the "townslip"
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 376

Post by ColinIsCool »

poutanko wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:04 pm Can't we just state we're Town so whoever have the Veritaserum can use it whenever they want to whoever they want without asking their sus about it (so not giving a hint/clue about them having the potion)? Image
This is obviously a good idea, right? Any objections?

I am town.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:08 pm Can someone explain to me the "town" portion of the "townslip"
I already did tho

A person not familiar with the dark arts or deathly hallows (In other words not having either in their role) could totally mix them up. They both sound evil and start with a D.

Even though the DH are not evil, or even close to such.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
karavalenge
Stool Pigeon

Post by karavalenge »

ColinIsCool wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:09 pm
poutanko wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:04 pm Can't we just state we're Town so whoever have the Veritaserum can use it whenever they want to whoever they want without asking their sus about it (so not giving a hint/clue about them having the potion)? Image

I am town.
No, that's an awful waste of a 1-shot ability to tell the truth, just to get the same info as a regular ability (Divination). But because you've started this, I also have to say

I am a town.

Or else I'd look scum by not following along with it.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

I am town.
This feels sorta game breaky. Also if everyone did it, we'd get back into some things we agreed not to do this game.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

I am town tho
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

karavalenge wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:13 pm No, that's an awful waste of a 1-shot ability to tell the truth, just to get the same info as a regular ability (Divination).
:ponder: What else would you use veriseritaum for? I'm not disagreeing, but did you have something in mind?
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

karavalenge wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:13 pm

I am town.
No, that's an awful waste of a 1-shot ability to tell the truth, just to get the same info as a regular ability (Divination). But because you've started this, I also have to say

I am a town.

Epignosis isn't going to say that. Will that make him look scum to you?
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

I am town ;airguitar:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
karavalenge
Stool Pigeon

Post by karavalenge »

speedchuck wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:15 pm
karavalenge wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:13 pm No, that's an awful waste of a 1-shot ability to tell the truth, just to get the same info as a regular ability (Divination).
:ponder: What else would you use veriseritaum for? I'm not disagreeing, but did you have something in mind?
- Role revealing and all forms of info dumping are allowed.
I imagine it would be better used to ensure the validity of information rather than civ vs scum. Scum can give valid information to appear town, but lying about info doesn't help anyone but scum.
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

People don’t have to say stuff if they don’t want to say stuff. But I got nothing to hide.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 63
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

We should make everyone say "I am scum" instead
karavalenge
Stool Pigeon

Post by karavalenge »

Long Con wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:16 pm

I am town.

I am a town.

No, I clearly didn't want to say it myself, but felt like I was pressured to. If you don't want to I absolutely will not hold it against you.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

How ironic that Glorfindel is the one person who is barred from uttering the magic words.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Use it on Epi's statement to catch two baddies: Epi and Juliets :haha: Just an example of how to extend such a power, I guess. I think it would be really hard to beef it up past the 'alignment check' level, but we could try to craft some complex-logic statements that would reveal more.

I'm not on a baddie team with Dharmahalper, Juliets, Epignosis, karavalenge, or speedchuck. :shrug2: There are probably better ways. Still tough to choose just one great statement if we all start lining them up. I think it's more fun to let the lie detector search natural conversation to find their choice.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:19 pm How ironic that Glorfindel is the one person who is barred from uttering the magic words.
No one is gonna use Truth Potion on Glorf. And that's the Truth. :haha:
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Kind of a pointless exercise anyway, for a couple of reasons.

1. Cop checks already exist.
2. If enough players say "I am town", the one-shot ability will be devalued to a cop check (if used in that way).

The above being stated, all that saying "I am town" does is give the person who said it towny points, regardless of alignment. There is little risk involved, especially if multiple people say it.

It might even be a scum gambit to be one of the first people doing it. "He suggested the thing, surely he wouldn't condemn himself."

Yeah. I was a participant for a bit, but I'm ignoring it.

linki: some neat ideas. I like them.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

karavalenge wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:19 pm

I am town.

I am a town.

No, I clearly didn't want to say it myself, but felt like I was pressured to. If you don't want to I absolutely will not hold it against you.
I think you applied that pressure to yourself.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

I don't know what the [SECRET] portion of the Death Eater's abilities are.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

I’m not saying it’s a silver bullet, but if we want to make the job even slightly easier for a townie who has Veritaserum, well that’s how you do it. I’m aware having everyone do it makes it harder to catch scum, but not any harder than it is already.
karavalenge
Stool Pigeon

Post by karavalenge »

Can we use it to make a statement that we don't know if it's true or false?

Like: There are a Prime Number of Death Eaters in Gryffindor.

If it is false, then there's either 4, 6 (Which is unlikely) or 0. If it is true, then there's 1, 2, 3, or 5.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

All I'm saying is the only person I can talk to about the game outside of this thread is myself, or the host.

ImageImage
ImageImage
karavalenge
Stool Pigeon

Post by karavalenge »

Long Con wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:23 pm
karavalenge wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:19 pm

I am town.

I am a town.

I think you applied that pressure to yourself.
And you didn't.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

I'm just trying to spice up the pool by saying fun phrases that would still clear me.

ImageImage
ImageImage
karavalenge
Stool Pigeon

Post by karavalenge »

It's like we're different people and have different feelings on things.
timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 209

Post by timmer »

I am town.

I am a town.

I'm catching up atm, but wanted to point out what could be a really weak attempt at following the I am town charge, but with a "typo" that invalidates it. I don't know this player, so I don't know if they would try something so clumsy as a baddie. But that extra word in their ld statement is noteworthy for a day 1.

Also, I am town.
My siggie.
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

speedchuck wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:23 pm Kind of a pointless exercise anyway, for a couple of reasons.

1. Cop checks already exist.
2. If enough players say "I am town", the one-shot ability will be devalued to a cop check (if used in that way).

The above being stated, all that saying "I am town" does is give the person who said it towny points, regardless of alignment. There is little risk involved, especially if multiple people say it.

It might even be a scum gambit to be one of the first people doing it. "He suggested the thing, surely he wouldn't condemn himself."

Yeah. I was a participant for a bit, but I'm ignoring it.

linki: some neat ideas. I like them.
Also this was to be my next point. The I am town exercise tend to never pay the dividends it seems like it should. But here we are anyway lol.

Also I'm liking DH and Epig so far today, I'm neutral on juliets. None will getmy vote today barring a slip etc.
My siggie.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Ya'll are buggin'

ImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

timmer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:36 pm
karavalenge wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:13 pm I am a town.
I'm catching up atm, but wanted to point out what could be a really weak attempt at following the I am town charge, but with a "typo" that invalidates it. I don't know this player, so I don't know if they would try something so clumsy as a baddie. But that extra word in their ld statement is noteworthy for a day 1.

Also, I am town.
Pedantic. You aren't 'town', you're 'timmer'.

Quick everyone, say "My alignment in this game is to the town, civ, or otherwise named faction that represents the 'good guys' of this setting. I cannot use the dark arts, nor can any of my teammates. I have no BTSC chat with other players at the moment." /s
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

A bit more, befor I have to run. I'm liking the chatter for q day 1. Day 1 has always been weak for me, so im glad some players are so good at getting it going.

I asked Owner if he's played with DH before, don't think he answered? If I did, owner, please shoot out.
My siggie.
Lunalee
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 307

Post by Lunalee »

nutella wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:00 am
Lunalee wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:21 pm
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:10 pm I'm going to have essentially zero time until Tuesday night or Wednesday. While I'm not here y'all best find excuses to do work and not excuses to do fuck all. Epi's recent grumbles are valid.

[VOTE: Quin] aubergine, because he said some shit I didn't like earlier. He provided a token response to Epi's dig at juliets which just looked like "this is where I am supposed to interject with this here comment" instead of "this is a problem and I want to address it".
This is the post in question:
Quin wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:35 pm
Epignosis wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:29 pm juliets and I are not teammates.

There. Go. Find bad guys.
so you know you're on different teams :ponder:
I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't have read anything at all into Quin saying that, and the fact that Jay did is a little weird.
Agree
nutella wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:49 am
Lunalee wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:21 am
Owner of a Lonely Heart wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:54 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:49 pm I feel different than I did in the game you scum read me, but you scum read me in this game as well.
Yay!! You actually understood me. That is correct.

Yes, it might be weird to some, but I guess I'm waiting for you to do something to prove me wrong. I can't explain what that is, but I'll know it when I see it...if it even happens though, which it might not.
Pretty sure Owner is town.
mmm I guess I agree looking at that post again
Nutella, you're agreeing with me too much, and it's starting to weird me out.
Luna's Wins/Losses
Jobs
Ancient Greece Mafia - civilian - loss
U-Pick Mafia - mafia - loss
Retrocausality Mafia - mafia - loss
Mega Man Mafia - mafia - win
Hogwarts Mafia - civilian - loss
Side Missions
Image Mafia - civilian - loss
Courage the Cowardly Dog Mafia - civilian - loss
Heists
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - civilian - loss
Friends Mafia - civilian - loss
Daily Fantasy Mafia - civilian - win
Everyone's Insane! - mafia - win
Space Force - civilian - loss
Burglaries
Murder on the Owl Express - third party - loss
Operation Refrigerator Restoration - civilian - win
One Hour Werewolf - Tanner - loss
Awful Overplayed Dadrock Mafia - civilian - loss
Dethy Game - civilian - loss
Special Games
Two-Headed Monster Mafia - civilian - win
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

timmer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:42 pm A bit more, befor I have to run. I'm liking the chatter for q day 1. Day 1 has always been weak for me, so im glad some players are so good at getting it going.

I asked Owner if he's played with DH before, don't think he answered? If I did, owner, please shoot out.
Do you want Owner specifically to answer or can I

ImageImage
ImageImage
karavalenge
Stool Pigeon

Post by karavalenge »

speedchuck wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:41 pm
timmer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:36 pm
karavalenge wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:13 pm I am a town.

Also, I am town.
Pedantic. You aren't 'town', you're 'timmer'.

Quick everyone, say "My alignment in this game is to the town, civ, or otherwise named faction that represents the 'good guys' of this setting. I cannot use the dark arts, nor can any of my teammates. I have no BTSC chat with other players at the moment." /s
It's "Veritaserum", not "Advocatus"
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

speedchuck wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:41 pm You aren't 'town', you're 'timmer'.
:noble:
My siggie.
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:42 pm
Hit it.
My siggie.
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

I’m a little sketched by the protests here. Like, obviously it’s not going to win the game on D1 and if you don’t give a shit then don’t do it, but this is almost anti-town.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

timmer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:44 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:42 pm
Hit it.
We played once before this in Firefly. That's literally it.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Lunalee
Loan Shark

Post by Lunalee »

Long Con wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:20 pm
Use it on Epi's statement to catch two baddies: Epi and Juliets :haha: Just an example of how to extend such a power, I guess. I think it would be really hard to beef it up past the 'alignment check' level, but we could try to craft some complex-logic statements that would reveal more.

I'm not on a baddie team with Dharmahalper, Juliets, Epignosis, karavalenge, or speedchuck. :shrug2: There are probably better ways. Still tough to choose just one great statement if we all start lining them up. I think it's more fun to let the lie detector search natural conversation to find their choice.
I think if any part of your statement is false, the whole statement will be read as false. If you aren't on a baddie team with DH, but you are on a baddie team with Juliets, then the statement will be returned as false, and we still only know whether or not you yourself are bad.
Luna's Wins/Losses
Jobs
Side Missions
Heists
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - civilian - loss
Friends Mafia - civilian - loss
Daily Fantasy Mafia - civilian - win
Everyone's Insane! - mafia - win
Space Force - civilian - loss
Burglaries
Murder on the Owl Express - third party - loss
Operation Refrigerator Restoration - civilian - win
One Hour Werewolf - Tanner - loss
Awful Overplayed Dadrock Mafia - civilian - loss
Dethy Game - civilian - loss
Special Games
Two-Headed Monster Mafia - civilian - win
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Full disclosure my game gets here in like 2 hours or so, so I'm gonna be doing that for the rest of the afternoon probably. Tomorrow early I plan on* ISOing who I can and voting accordingly

*Plan on being operative here, since this is a large game I may just ISO whoever I feel like.

ImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Okay, so reading owner's iso, I'd say he really and oddly blindered onto DH very early, and for what seems like entirely prev-game reasons. This allows him to talk a lot about suspicions towards sh, but without having to defend anything he says because, hey, is based on last game. And when pressed about it, he just versions of iunno I just feel it...

This can be a baddie move, but it can also just be blindering which ive done in the past. Those who know owner well, do you get any kind of alignment read from this angle?
My siggie.
Lunalee
Loan Shark

Post by Lunalee »

Oh, and just in case anyone wants to shove some truth serum down my throat, I'm town.
Luna's Wins/Losses
Jobs
Side Missions
Heists