71%

Total votes: 17
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 400

Re: Mafia: A World Asunder - GAME THREAD [Day 13]

Post by Epignosis »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 am
Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:37 am I adopted the Karma Chameleon thing because I was the KC for a couple of phases. I kept changing win conditions and powers. I was The Darkness, then The Hunger (allied with Jagged Blade), then KC (who had to survive), then I found a horse, then I was the "Avatar of Long Con" and needed to be dead to win and the civilians needed to win.

Long Con seriously asked me if I had a plan to win.
If you did, it sucked. :pout:
I couldn't have a plan. By the time I ended up working for the civilians, the pooch had been screwed.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange
Posts in topic: 1001

Post by MacDougall »

Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 am
MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:22 am
Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:16 am
MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:13 am
Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:13 am
MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:08 am
Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:48 am Was this MacDougall's actual role?

Kraken - Movement rate of 6 in the water, and 1 on land. Can still move 1 land square after 4 water squares. Knows who is in any square containing water, and has -5 votes while he is in the water.
Yeah it was.
This in the beginning crippled any hope the civilians could have possibly had from the outset.

Why make a mafia member all but immune to lynches?
There were days I was a revealed member of Mafia, with my role known, that I could have been lynched and wasn't. I was also within the kill range of Mafia many many times.
MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:14 am Oh and also it seemed to have got balanced by the fact that our entire team got infodumped so what does it matter.
You sound like I'm accusing you.

I'm not.

I'm saying it's a badly written role for anybody to have (especially mafia).

Nobody should ever have -5 votes- especially mafia.

The fact that I outed your entire team and you still won should demonstrate that.
I am just saying that there were many opportunities for me to be killed or lynched that were not taken. My role didn't make me impervious to death which means that the in game mechanics only served to make me a difficult mafioso to contend with rather than an impossible one. I should have been lynched as soon as DharmaHelper noticed I was the Kraken.

Also it's not as though it was "oh I have -5 votes this game is gonna be easy". I ended up having to make 950 posts to get the job done. It was a slog.
I don't mean that- what I mean is that once a mafia member is "caught," that mafia member should be able to be removed via the lynch poll.

That was never going to happen, because it meant needing 5(!) more voters on you than someone else in a given lynch. Yes, you could have been killed, but how many people ventured near the water knowing the Kraken was there? I went to the water one time in the very beginning and that was it.

You are almost impossible to lynch, especially as the civilians numbers dropped and the independents had the run of the show. There was no way for you to lose.

Have civilians ever won one of these "A World" games by the way? I know the Circle of Decay won last time. I don't know about games on other sites.
I was in kill range of members of the other team at least 5 or 6 times.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 94
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Mafia: A World Asunder - GAME THREAD [Day 1]

Post by nutella »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:27 am
wolbre04 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:33 am
MacDougall wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:32 am Hahahaha holy shit...

CFD Wolbre?
Do it bitch
...That was this game? It's been.... thirty years.....
to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Epi don't poo on our win.
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 1004

Post by DharmaHelper »

If the next game is LMS with six or more maps and utter chaos every phase I'll play.
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:29 am
MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:08 am

Yeah it was.
This in the beginning crippled any hope the civilians could have possibly had from the outset.

There were days I was a revealed member of Mafia, with my role known, that I could have been lynched and wasn't. I was also within the kill range of Mafia many many times.
MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:14 am Oh and also it seemed to have got balanced by the fact that our entire team got infodumped so what does it matter.

I'm not.

The fact that I outed your entire team and you still won should demonstrate that.
I am just saying that there were many opportunities for me to be killed or lynched that were not taken. My role didn't make me impervious to death which means that the in game mechanics only served to make me a difficult mafioso to contend with rather than an impossible one. I should have been lynched as soon as DharmaHelper noticed I was the Kraken.

Also it's not as though it was "oh I have -5 votes this game is gonna be easy". I ended up having to make 950 posts to get the job done. It was a slog.
I don't mean that- what I mean is that once a mafia member is "caught," that mafia member should be able to be removed via the lynch poll.

That was never going to happen, because it meant needing 5(!) more voters on you than someone else in a given lynch. Yes, you could have been killed, but how many people ventured near the water knowing the Kraken was there? I went to the water one time in the very beginning and that was it.

You are almost impossible to lynch, especially as the civilians numbers dropped and the independents had the run of the show. There was no way for you to lose.

Have civilians ever won one of these "A World" games by the way? I know the Circle of Decay won last time. I don't know about games on other sites.
Doesn't negate my point. Most civilians don't have a kill.

Civilians shouldn't have to depend on mafia eliminating mafia to win.
DharmaHelper

Re: Mafia: A World Asunder - GAME THREAD [Day 1]

Post by DharmaHelper »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:27 am
wolbre04 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:33 am
MacDougall wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:32 am Hahahaha holy shit...

CFD Wolbre?
Do it bitch
You did it, bitch

ImageImage
ImageImage
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

DharmaHelper wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:30 am If the next game is LMS with six or more maps and utter chaos every phase I'll play.
Just play U-Pick
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:30 am Epi don't poo on our win.
I'm not. I already said this. I'm criticizing the setup.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 382
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

I wanna know what all the polls and places and secrets did and how come I didn’t see Epi.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Spoiler: show
Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:30 am

I'm not.

IDK for sure but I think the votes were on the board when Mac Outted himself and I correctly guessed nobody would care.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Part of my role was that I saw the secrets/curses associated with items that I found and I found exactly zero items.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I had already predicted I would out the Jagged Blade and they would skate by.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

I'm not.

There were two civilians roles that I basically couldn't find so couldn't kill at all along with two indies I couldn't kill and a Mafia member I couldn't kill. Everyone has their gripes.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

I'm not.

I agree with that last sentence and I’ve been afraid to run a game with multiple scum factions ever since. :(
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 am
You're basically saying that I shouldn't have even bothered to make any real effort and still would have won, which ... I hope isn't true.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

I could have been easily lynched several times had Quin and the other Mafia team not decided to help us win.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

How did Mac get a wincon back? Cause Epi died?
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Yes
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

DharmaHelper wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 am Part of my role was that I saw the secrets/curses associated with items that I found and I found exactly zero items.
There were secrets and curses associated with items?
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:34 am
Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 am
You're basically saying that I shouldn't have even bothered to make any real effort and still would have won, which ... I hope isn't true.
That isn't true.

Hey Mac:

You're a civilian.

At endgame, you find out one of the 8(!) people you needed to lynch could only be lynched if you pretty much had a unanimous vote in a game with two mafias and some independents.

You'd throw your toys out of the pram.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

My point is that I wish these games were more balanced. They can be a lot of fun, but has a civilian ever won?
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

It's a fair critique of the role. -5 votes is nutty in a game where that starts as ~13% of players. Imagine having a 13% buffer.

ImageImage
ImageImage
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Yeah but that's literally not true. It was only 8 people because I had allies.

The Kraken role is literally known to exist. It's an open non secret role. There were all sorts of roles, huge amounts of BTSC, abilities for people to see who is moving around the map. If people had their shit together they'd have made identifying the kraken a sub plot of the game. There was more than enough at the disposal of the other 30 odd players in the game to work around a Mafia player with -5 votes notwithstanding that there were also several Mafia killed in this game and I had no way of protecting myself at night.

I wouldn't throw my toys out of the pram at all. This is a game with an insane amount of potential scenarios. If by the end of the game it seemed like my role was OP it was because of the paths taken to get here. There are innumerable outcomes that result in my demise.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

I don't even care TBH I'm the Demigod of Chaos now so I'm gonna be eternally dunking on nerds.

ImageImage
ImageImage
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

At the end of the last game I was furious because Golden basically played the entire game as a civilian and then got recruited into a Mafia team that was already coasting to victory so got to pick up a win as a result of being fooled. The nature of the LC game. Few people go home happy.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:43 am Yeah but that's literally not true. It was only 8 people because I had allies.

The Kraken role is literally known to exist. It's an open non secret role. There were all sorts of roles, huge amounts of BTSC, abilities for people to see who is moving around the map. If people had their shit together they'd have made identifying the kraken a sub plot of the game. There was more than enough at the disposal of the other 30 odd players in the game to work around a Mafia player with -5 votes notwithstanding that there were also several Mafia killed in this game and I had no way of protecting myself at night.

I wouldn't throw my toys out of the pram at all. This is a game with an insane amount of potential scenarios. If by the end of the game it seemed like my role was OP it was because of the paths taken to get here. There are innumerable outcomes that result in my demise.
I don't agree with that at all.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Every single day there was random map movements, night actions, kills, vote manipulation, day actions, items, portals, night polls that create cataclysms, interactive dungeon master host bullshit. Of course there are an insane amount of potential scenarios.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

In four games on this site, 3 mafia wins and 2 independent wins, but never any civilian wins.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:48 am Every single day there was random map movements, night actions, kills, vote manipulation, day actions, items, portals, night polls that create cataclysms, interactive dungeon master host bullshit. Of course there are an insane amount of potential scenarios.
All of which civilians had to deal with too.

Civilians were fucked.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

I am only engaging in this debate because I was literally in this role and at no point until the end game did I ever feel overpowered.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

If Long Con hadn't accidentally revealed my identity I wouldn't have told DDL/Jack fuck all when I met them. Instead I told Jack, DDL, and by proxy DDL's whole team how to recruit me and where to find the pieces, which ultimately led to Enrique getting clapped on.

So if I had shut my mouth I would have been recruited by Enrique and had zero motivation to let Mac skate (but also zero way to stop him once the numbers dipped)

ImageImage
ImageImage
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:50 am
MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:48 am Every single day there was random map movements, night actions, kills, vote manipulation, day actions, items, portals, night polls that create cataclysms, interactive dungeon master host bullshit. Of course there are an insane amount of potential scenarios.

Civilians were fucked.
I just don't agree with, nor appreciate the idea that this game was easy for me lol.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

DharmaHelper wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:50 am If Long Con hadn't accidentally revealed my identity I wouldn't have told DDL/Jack fuck all when I met them. Instead I told Jack, DDL, and by proxy DDL's whole team how to recruit me and where to find the pieces, which ultimately led to Enrique getting clapped on.

So if I had shut my mouth I would have been recruited by Enrique and had zero motivation to let Mac skate (but also zero way to stop him once the numbers dipped)
There were four players alive at the end of the game I basically couldn't kill. That two of you had spent the previous several phases trying to help me without even being factionally aligned with me was a matter out of my control.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:53 am
DharmaHelper wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:50 am If Long Con hadn't accidentally revealed my identity I wouldn't have told DDL/Jack fuck all when I met them. Instead I told Jack, DDL, and by proxy DDL's whole team how to recruit me and where to find the pieces, which ultimately led to Enrique getting clapped on.

There were four players alive at the end of the game I basically couldn't kill. That two of you had spent the previous several phases trying to help me without even being factionally aligned with me was a matter out of my control.
I can't speak for Cbob but I helped you because

A. it was funny
B. At that point the numbers were against us if you died
C. Epi outting your whole team felt like a dumb way to win

ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:50 am I am only engaging in this debate because I was literally in this role and at no point until the end game did I ever feel overpowered.
You don't have to feel overpowered for your role to be overpowered.

It was overpowered.

I outed you and your entire team...and you still won. In a game (Mafia) in which the entire point is to figure out who is bad, someone comes in and say who half the bad guys are, and they win...how do you not have an overpowered role?

I personally didn't like my role. I hated being The Darkness, and then I kept changing win conditions (You want to complain about having no win condition? I had no win condition. Mine kept changing every two fucking phases). Then I got stuck latched on to winning with the civilians who had no chance because there weren't enough to lynch you at any point, AND (!) I had to be dead, which further meant I couldn't win.

There was no universe in which I could win. None. Zero. If the author would like to paint one, I'm willing to listen, but I had zero chance from the beginning.

So don't complain about your circumstances just because you felt you had to work to win. At least you had a chance to work.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:51 am

Civilians were fucked.
I just don't agree with, nor appreciate the idea that this game was easy for me lol.
It may not have been easy for you.

It was easy for your role.
Dana
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 156
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dana »

Wait so Mac was actually on a water square and DH died? But we still had more civs than mafia so why did the game end? Or was it the "who should win" poll/tribunal vote that decided
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Dana wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 am Wait so Mac was actually on a water square and DH died? But we still had more civs than mafia so why did the game end? Or was it the "who should win" poll/tribunal vote that decided
I was the last mafia and there weren't 5+ votes that could have lynched Mac.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I'm off to bed.

I'm not angry- not at all. I'm just passionate about game balance. If civilians are never winning your games, then you have to address that. If civilians have little chance of winning your games, then why bother?
Dana
Drug Dealer

Post by Dana »

DharmaHelper wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:03 am
Dana wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 am Wait so Mac was actually on a water square and DH died? But we still had more civs than mafia so why did the game end? Or was it the "who should win" poll/tribunal vote that decided
I was the last mafia and there weren't 5+ votes that could have lynched Mac.
So Mac could have hopped on land
Dana
Drug Dealer

Post by Dana »

Or killed one of us
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:56 am
MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:50 am I am only engaging in this debate because I was literally in this role and at no point until the end game did I ever feel overpowered.

It was overpowered.

I outed you and your entire team...and you still won. In a game (Mafia) in which the entire point is to figure out who is bad, someone comes in and say who half the bad guys are, and they win...how do you not have an overpowered role?

I personally didn't like my role. I hated being The Darkness, and then I kept changing win conditions (You want to complain about having no win condition? I had no win condition. Mine kept changing every two fucking phases). Then I got stuck latched on to winning with the civilians who had no chance because there weren't enough to lynch you at any point, AND (!) I had to be dead, which further meant I couldn't win.

There was no universe in which I could win. None. Zero. If the author would like to paint one, I'm willing to listen, but I had zero chance from the beginning.

So don't complain about your circumstances just because you felt you had to work to win. At least you had a chance to work.
I don't mean to sound like I am complaining about my circumstances. I am not saying that I had it more difficult than others. I am telling you from the person sitting in this role seat that it was not as easy as you dreamed of it being. Especially after having to navigate being literally a revealed Mafia for several phases when there were easily more than enough people to lynch me. The game mechanics caused that outcome btw. Not just your whim. The game literally handed you that information. There were many mechanics built into this game to deal with the strength of our faction.
Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:58 am

Civilians were fucked.

This is quite mean dude. If you can't see how what you are saying is mean spirited and rude to me perhaps you should just take it as given from the person on the receiving end of it and rethink how you are raising these concerns of yours. As soon as the game ended you started shitting on the victory, didn't even give us a chance to be happy about winning what was an extremely challenging game before you rained on the parade. That's not nice at all. Perhaps rather than shitting all over it publicly you could have addressed these concerns with Long Con more constructively.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Anyway thanks Quin.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Also thanks Tranq and Juliets for staying by our side for days after you died. Speedchuck for fighting through near death to stay around for so long. Sorsha despite rage quitting you were a great teammate too.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Also thanks Bob and DharmaHelper for choosing us to win instead of the civilians lol.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:09 am Anyway thanks Quin.
Uh excuse you bruv I lied and told everyone you were lynchable just to get slam fucking dunked into the actual ether.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:06 am
Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:56 am

It was overpowered.

I don't mean to sound like I am complaining about my circumstances. I am not saying that I had it more difficult than others. I am telling you from the person sitting in this role seat that it was not as easy as you dreamed of it being. Especially after having to navigate being literally a revealed Mafia for several phases when there were easily more than enough people to lynch me. The game mechanics caused that outcome btw. Not just your whim. The game literally handed you that information. There were many mechanics built into this game to deal with the strength of our faction.
Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:58 am

Civilians were fucked.

This is quite mean dude. If you can't see how what you are saying is mean spirited and rude to me perhaps you should just take it as given from the person on the receiving end of it and rethink how you are raising these concerns of yours. As soon as the game ended you started shitting on the victory, didn't even give us a chance to be happy about winning what was an extremely challenging game before you rained on the parade. That's not nice at all. Perhaps rather than shitting all over it publicly you could have addressed these concerns with Long Con more constructively.
I'm not shitting on your win.

Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:27 am
DharmaHelper wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:26 am I mean I wasn't gonna win anyway, pushing Mac across the finish line was the least I could do.
I personally don't mind that outcome.

I think the setup needed some play testing.
Epignosis wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:17 am
DharmaHelper wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:16 am (Also I figured we'd lose anyway so helping Mac win was fun)
I don't hate it.
The big letters is what I am arguing against. And information is stupid when you can't do anything about it. I am complaining about the setup. If you can't see that and instead choose to take it personally, I don't know what to tell you.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Saying the role I had was invincible makes me feel like all of the effort I put in was worthless and there is nothing worse than being made to feel like your effort is not valued.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

I take pride in playing this game well and felt like this win was very hard earned. You are taking that feeling away. Of course I am going to be pissed off about that.

Return to “Previous Jobs”