Post by Long Con »

How about "How many of the people outside of the thread are Mafia?"
Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 335
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Re: It's a Mysterious Universe (D1)

Post by Alison »

Vulgard wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:04 pm I don't like Alison's thin read on Long Con, I don't think it's reasonable to townread him for such a thing this early.

I like Sloonei, though. I like how he's already hardcore solving, and he's doing that in a way which doesn't come across as forced.
To answer his question -- I'm honestly not sure how to answer it at this point, because my playstyle tends to be pretty fluid. I usually try to find mafia and/or town through macro reads, and when I want to push a mafia, I case them, like I did last game. This means that I am invariably stumbling around blind on day 1 and only later developing the ability to find people's alignments with higher confidence.

TL;DR Focus on macro reads, gets better as the game goes on, usually.
Sloonei's posts don't strike me as "hardcore solving". Walk me through what about Sloonei's posts struck you as being particularly high effort.
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Syn wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:08 pm
Alison wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:58 pm [VOTE: Syn] aubergine

I want to push here right now. His post bothered me and he responded to it with a beetlejuice.

Syn do you have any opinion at all on the way the game has opened/the stuff that has happened so far?
What does "a beetlejuice" mean? I saw the movie once like a decade ago.

We're 7 hours in to D1, so not really. Sloonei and LC have Good Vibes.

I'm curious about the four who can't be in the thread, and if any of them are wolves or guaranteed town. Being able to establish an immediate towncore would be rad. But I doubt Nanook would make it that easy for us.
What about Vulgard? There was a back and forth earlier about Vulgard being possibly mafia, and he's given some game-related content.

Re: the four that aren't in the thread, the previous game that had out-of-thread players had them all share the same alignment, which was technically third-party but which played out in benign/townsided ways, or so I am told. I think it's too much to assume they're all townsiding this time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were all the same alignment again, or share other key similarities.
Syn
Hitman
Posts in topic: 37

Post by Syn »

Alison wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:57 pm
What about Vulgard? There was a back and forth earlier about Vulgard being possibly mafia, and he's given some game-related content.
His pushes were weak and ill-thought out, but I don't know that I'd commit to "he's wolf." I guess he's the best choice this very moment, as far as OMGUS goes.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 191
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Alison wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:53 pm
Vulgard wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:04 pm I don't like Alison's thin read on Long Con, I don't think it's reasonable to townread him for such a thing this early.

I like Sloonei, though. I like how he's already hardcore solving, and he's doing that in a way which doesn't come across as forced.
To answer his question -- I'm honestly not sure how to answer it at this point, because my playstyle tends to be pretty fluid. I usually try to find mafia and/or town through macro reads, and when I want to push a mafia, I case them, like I did last game. This means that I am invariably stumbling around blind on day 1 and only later developing the ability to find people's alignments with higher confidence.

Sloonei's posts don't strike me as "hardcore solving". Walk me through what about Sloonei's posts struck you as being particularly high effort.
How would you describe my posts?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Alison

Post by Alison »

Vulgard wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:09 pm [VOTE: Syn] aubergine

I checked again and they have done nothing within their five posts. These posts were all spent on talking about themselves, their first post was a comment about the OP (which is not really game-related and is unlikely to out you as mafia when you talk about it as mafia), and they come across as trying to seem relaxed in the thread. Which is probably why they are spending so much time on "settling in."

I liked nutella's start, but I have some respect for their wolfgame, so I'm not going to pull an Alison and make a weakly supported solid townread on her out of nowhere.
I actually really dislike the highlighted section. I think my read was fine and I didn't pretend it was stronger than it is. I just said I liked him doing that and he looked good off it - but this is framed as though my read is overblown and feels like it's trying to discredit the way I was reading LC. This is particularly egregious because it's in service of justifying a waffle on nutella.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Alison wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:01 pm

I checked again and they have done nothing within their five posts. These posts were all spent on talking about themselves, their first post was a comment about the OP (which is not really game-related and is unlikely to out you as mafia when you talk about it as mafia), and they come across as trying to seem relaxed in the thread. Which is probably why they are spending so much time on "settling in."

I liked nutella's start, but I have some respect for their wolfgame, so I'm not going to pull an Alison and make a weakly supported solid townread on her out of nowhere.
I actually really dislike the highlighted section. I think my read was fine and I didn't pretend it was stronger than it is. I just said I liked him doing that and he looked good off it - but this is framed as though my read is overblown and feels like it's trying to discredit the way I was reading LC. This is particularly egregious because it's in service of justifying a waffle on nutella.
I should add to this: part of the reason I hated Vulgard trying to discredit my first post read so much, other than the baseline "I think it's bad when people discredit my posts" motivation, is that it is very common for mafia, especially mafia who have never played with me, to try to undermine my first post reads by framing it as being underjustified or based on little or no reasoning.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Vulgard wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:12 pm
Funnygurl555 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:07 pm
Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:43 pm
Funnygurl555 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:27 pm i'm bummed 'cause both mikey and thesunfan rejected me and didn't join this game so i'm alone and that eerily resembles my real life but like it's fine though

we shall WIN THE GAME
You’re not alone, we’ll solve this game together fgal!

What’s nutella’s alignment?
she seems nice and is a mod so i'ma say lawful good

anyways we're polar opposites so i'ma deliver the hot™ take that no one thought they needed and say you're a WOLF
got 'em
I mean, posts like this one. This just looks like a really forced joke, and I'm not sure why it exists. "Haha, I'm so random?" Or "Haha, look, I'm relaxed and harmless!"
I'm leaning toward the second.
This is 100% within FG's general personality and town range.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:00 pm

I think you're in the "toss ideas around, see what strikes a chord or sparks discussion" stage. You're not really at the point where you're really digging deep into people's alignments and trying to form POEs or build towncores. On a separate note, I think it is really weird to try to volume/effort clear someone who has just been crowned MU Champ.
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 108
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Alison wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:06 pm
Alison wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:01 pm

I should add to this: part of the reason I hated Vulgard trying to discredit my first post read so much, other than the baseline "I think it's bad when people discredit my posts" motivation, is that it is very common for mafia, especially mafia who have never played with me, to try to undermine my first post reads by framing it as being underjustified or based on little or no reasoning.
I am on board with your reasoning here.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Is everyone in the thread scumreading Vulgard now? That's probably a good sign, since there's like 7 people who dislike Vulgard's posts for one reason or another and all of them are excellent players and they can't all be mafia.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Alright, I'm caught up. Lots of people seem to dislike Vulgard's posts/reads/reasoning, but only Sloonei is voting him. Mac is doing his own thing which I respect, but a no vote is a wasted vote. I like the Vulgard push.

[VOTE: Vulgard] aubergine
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I want Vulgard to have room to breathe. So far his throat has been thoroughly jumped down. I’ve never played with him before and it’s entirely possible that the things we’re eying him for are just Vulgard playing mafia.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

[unvote][/unvote]aubergine
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:42 pm @nutella you were one of the out-of-thread demi-gods in Assassin's Creed. What can you tell us about that experience?
Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:45 pm What do you mean by “theory meta”?
Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:19 pm @TonyStarkPrime @Poison what are your thoughts on this game's version of Vulgard compared to the version you saw in the previous game?
I lean scum on Sloonei right now because these questions don't feel like they have any solving intention behind them. They're just filling out his post count. The first one especially rubs me the wrong way. The only thing I assume about this Nanook game is that the out-of-thread element is not the same as his last game, because I expect Nanook to have a bit more creativity than that. I expect, at the very least, a fun twist on it that would intentionally subvert our assumptions based on the previous game. Standard 'sequel' stuff.

That said, I can't see what value Sloonei expected from that question. There's nothing alignment-indicative about the way nutella answers this, and there's probably little relevance to this game.

[VOTE: sloonei] aubergine
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:26 pm I want Vulgard to have room to breathe. So far his throat has been thoroughly jumped down. I’ve never played with him before and it’s entirely possible that the things we’re eying him for are just Vulgard playing mafia.
Now I want to tunnel you. This is a fake move. This is about Sloonei, not Vulgard.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Long Con wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:30 pm
Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:42 pm @nutella you were one of the out-of-thread demi-gods in Assassin's Creed. What can you tell us about that experience?
Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:45 pm What do you mean by “theory meta”?
Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:19 pm @TonyStarkPrime @Poison what are your thoughts on this game's version of Vulgard compared to the version you saw in the previous game?
I lean scum on Sloonei right now because these questions don't feel like they have any solving intention behind them. They're just filling out his post count. The first one especially rubs me the wrong way. The only thing I assume about this Nanook game is that the out-of-thread element is not the same as his last game, because I expect Nanook to have a bit more creativity than that. I expect, at the very least, a fun twist on it that would intentionally subvert our assumptions based on the previous game. Standard 'sequel' stuff.

That said, I can't see what value Sloonei expected from that question. There's nothing alignment-indicative about the way nutella answers this, and there's probably little relevance to this game.

[VOTE: sloonei] aubergine
:ponder:
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Long Con wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:31 pm
Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:26 pm I want Vulgard to have room to breathe. So far his throat has been thoroughly jumped down. I’ve never played with him before and it’s entirely possible that the things we’re eying him for are just Vulgard playing mafia.
Now I want to tunnel you. This is a fake move. This is about Sloonei, not Vulgard.
:smoky:
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 373
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Alison wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:12 pm
Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:00 pm

I think you're in the "toss ideas around, see what strikes a chord or sparks discussion" stage. You're not really at the point where you're really digging deep into people's alignments and trying to form POEs or build towncores. On a separate note, I think it is really weird to try to volume/effort clear someone who has just been crowned MU Champ.
He was town in all three of his champs games so his crown has zero reflection of how his scum meta measures up
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Yeah, ok.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Is Sloonei MU Champ?
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Long Con wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:33 pm Is Sloonei MU Champ?
I am Bargain Bin Jay no more.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:35 pm
That's really great! What does that mean, though, you are #1 out of the hundreds that played? How do the rankings work?
Funnygurl555
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 77
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers/herself

Post by Funnygurl555 »

woahhh so if sloonei's mu champ does that mean i'm the worst mafia player on the internet?
Sloonei wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:52 pm We are polar opposites in the most delightful way.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Long Con wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:36 pm
Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:35 pm
That's really great! What does that mean, though, you are #1 out of the hundreds that played? How do the rankings work?
Basically it means I get to win every argument about mafia from now until the end of time, and I get a special undertitle on MU.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Funnygurl555 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:36 pm woahhh so if sloonei's mu champ does that mean i'm the worst mafia player on the internet?
No, your name automatically turns red when you achieve that.
Funnygurl555
Drug Dealer

Post by Funnygurl555 »

Long Con wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:39 pm
Funnygurl555 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:36 pm woahhh so if sloonei's mu champ does that mean i'm the worst mafia player on the internet?
so you're the worst mafia player on the internet!

it's an honor to play with you
Sloonei wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:52 pm We are polar opposites in the most delightful way.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Must be. I’m sorry to do this to you.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Funnygurl555
Drug Dealer

Post by Funnygurl555 »

my vote is on sloonei
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Funnygurl555 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:40 pm
Long Con wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:39 pm
so you're the worst mafia player on the internet!

it's an honor to play with you
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

The two worst mafia players in the world are voting for the confirmed best player in the world. Unbelievable.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Enrique
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 51

Post by Enrique »

nutella wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:19 pmWhat
Lol i know what you're doing and I like it
ImageImageImageImage
Alison

Post by Alison »

nutella wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:32 pm He was town in all three of his champs games so his crown has zero reflection of how his scum meta measures up
My point is that you'd expect someone competent enough to be the MU Champ to be someone trivially able to fake solving regardless of alignment, and at any rate I don't really think it was as hardcore as Vulgard made it out to be anyway.
Alison

Post by Alison »

I think it's a pretty ugly look that Vulgard's "throat has been thoroughly jumped down" but nobody seems to want to actually vote him. I think there is a good chance he is scum and his teammates bussed for early distance but are afraid to commit the vote because they were scared by the apparent steam his wagon was building and didn't want to lose a member so rapidly.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Alison wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:01 pm I think it's a pretty ugly look that Vulgard's "throat has been thoroughly jumped down" but nobody seems to want to actually vote him. I think there is a good chance he is scum and his teammates bussed for early distance but are afraid to commit the vote because they were scared by the apparent steam his wagon was building and didn't want to lose a member so rapidly.
We have nearly 48 hours left in Day 1. I don’t think it behooves us to pile votes on one person immediately.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Alison wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:01 pm I think it's a pretty ugly look that Vulgard's "throat has been thoroughly jumped down" but nobody seems to want to actually vote him. I think there is a good chance he is scum and his teammates bussed for early distance but are afraid to commit the vote because they were scared by the apparent steam his wagon was building and didn't want to lose a member so rapidly.
I don't think that he and Sloonei are wolves together. If Sloonei is a wolf, I have less suspicion of Vulgard. I still like your take on him, and could easily vote that way. I am not a teammate.
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

I will probably not vote for Vulgard.
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Enrique wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:08 pm I will probably not vote for Vulgard.
Why not?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

seems fine to me
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Enrique wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:10 pm seems fine to me
Why?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Alison

Post by Alison »

Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:03 pm
We have nearly 48 hours left in Day 1. I don’t think it behooves us to pile votes on one person immediately.
I mean, I'm not saying hammer him right now, but like when I read through a thread of various people all attacking Vulgard and then I check the poll and I'm the literal only person on it, I get suspicious.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Alison wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:13 pm
I mean, I'm not saying hammer him right now, but like when I read through a thread of various people all attacking Vulgard and then I check the poll and I'm the literal only person on it, I get suspicious.
I unvoted him a moment after you voted for him. I don’t like runaway polls early in phases.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Alison

Post by Alison »

Long Con wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:05 pm
I don't think that he and Sloonei are wolves together. If Sloonei is a wolf, I have less suspicion of Vulgard. I still like your take on him, and could easily vote that way. I am not a teammate.
He doesn't have 6 teammates so I'm not saying that everyone who doesn't vote Vulgard is a teammate. I think many of the reasons that Sloonei raised for not voting Vulgard - give him space, there's still time, pursue other suspects, etc. - are valid. If Vulgard is in fact scum, then the townies not voting him would be doing so for those reasons, and his teammates would probably be blending in amongst them and pretending they also have that reason.
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

I think Vulgard is playing day 1 in much the way that other people play day 1. means nothing.
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Enrique wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:15 pm I think Vulgard is playing day 1 in much the way that other people play day 1. means nothing.
Which is...?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Alison

Post by Alison »

Sloonei wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:14 pm
Alison wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:13 pm
I unvoted him a moment after you voted for him. I don’t like runaway polls early in phases.
It's fine to be cautious since this is a game with majority vote, but at the time you unvoted there were 2 people on him. That is not a runaway poll. :P
Alison

Post by Alison »

Enrique wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:15 pm I think Vulgard is playing day 1 in much the way that other people play day 1. means nothing.
What do you think about the people who piled on Vulgard then? Which of them look like opportunistic scum trying to throw shade to you, and which of them look like townies with legit suspicions?
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

On the flip side, I think Alison called out the whole scum team based on first-post-reads a few games ago. I might be remembering it better than it was though.
Alison

Post by Alison »

I get where Sloonei is coming from and I want to hear Vulgard's defense myself as well. I'm just saying that I don't think the pressure is particularly high right now.

Return to “Previous Jobs”