Total votes: 14
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 769
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: Death and Taxes: An Economics Mafia [DAY 2]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei's examination of fingersplints was interesting. he came to the same conclusion i did essentially (that she is mostly a neutral read). he is right though when he asserts her content has been a bit BR-centric, and that her other stances in this game are much less clear.
Spoiler: show
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Day 2 ISO - acrosstheaether
acrosstheaether wrote:where's the post that started day 2? I can't find it for the sake of my life and I forgot the other mod's name and don't see it mentioned anywhere in the thread so I can't ISO them
acrosstheaether wrote:Replace me please. No alignment reveal is too confusing.
these are her only two posts of the phase. there's nothing that can be done with them. the second post there actually concerns me because i don't struggle much to envision a town aether doing this. she might genuinely be discouraged. and i am sure this isn't a false request for replacement. i hope she changes her mind and decides to give the game ago, because it's more fun to have all the RYMers around in this strange foreign land. if not, her hopefully her eventual replacement gets involved.

i had her as a slight scum read before and can't justify changing that perspective now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2 ISO - Bass_the_Clever

he's also had limited involvement with the phase so far.
Bass_the_Clever wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Bass_the_Clever wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:I would propose that if Adam Smith is still alive (hopefully he's not Metalmarsh), then he should try to build a case against Malthus, who he probably targetted last night. This game doesn't allow role reveals, but I suppose he can come up with some reason to call him bad and then tunnel on him, no?

There's also the possibility of him keeping targetting Malthus over and over to exploit his night kill. But I think that's a bad idea, because he gets free again as soon as Adam Smith dies. We should get rid of the bastard as soon as we can.
I think its best if Adam Smith plays it smarter then what you are suggesting if he pretty much outs himself by tunneling its going to paint a huge target for the mafia to go after.
you don't think a dead serial killer would be worth that risk?
I think adam smith can be real helpful role to help catch baddies. I mean if you want to just catch one indy and lose the most helpful info role the civs have then poor old george will be on his own.
i don't think he is off-base here at least. i don't think it'd be wise for Adam Smith to let the serial killer live too long, but a small gamble is warranted for now maybe. but this conversation is not one that makes me feel better about Bass -- any player mafia or town can get into a conversation about a rogue without feeling challenged. it troubles me some that this was the only thing Bass talked about until prompted otherwise. to be fair though, he did call for those prompts himself:
Bass_the_Clever wrote:Ok I have a bit of time so if anyone wants to ask me anythingg now is the time or if there are any questions I did answer please point them out.
and when i took advantage of the opportunity, he kind of lived up to it:
Bass_the_Clever wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Bass_the_Clever wrote:Ok I have a bit of time so if anyone wants to ask me anythingg now is the time or if there are any questions I did answer please point them out.
i have a few:

1.) how do you personally differentiate "keeping an eye on a player" and "suspecting a player"?

2.) who are your top suspects right now and why? you don't have to point to specific posts if time doesn't permit, but please try to offer some explanation.

3.) of the five players who voted for you on Day 1, who do you feel was the most suspicious for doing so?

4.) how might you respond to the points i made against you in this post:

http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com/viewto ... 28#p143328
1. IMO keeping an eye on someone is just something I see that isn't the norm for that person it doesn't make me suspect them it just makes me want to watch that person and see if there is more to what I noticed. Suspecting a person is when I have found something worth voting for .

2. Just so you know I really don't pull quotes. But my suspects so far are-
- Elo because she voted someone she felt good about and gave a lame excuse. She acted like she knew his game and unless she has played with him somewhere else golden just started playing on this site and has died early every game. So how would she know his game?

- TinyBubbles because I was her top suspect and she votes Elo. Why give up on your top suspect if there is a chance that person can get lynched? I understand she trust people who voted Elo but I think piggybacking because of "trust" is something that mafias do to get in good with people who are vocal and seem super civvie.

3. Out of the the five people who voted me I think BWT's vote pinged me the most it came out of no where.
i asked him a series of questions and he answered most of them. my perspectives by question:

1. i have no issue with Bass's response here. i can believe that a person might genuinely draw a distinction between those two concepts.

2. it's good at least that he provided two names and reasons for both. however, these seem like pretty easy choices. Elohcin was already under heavy fire early in the day, so it's not hard for someone to just pile on. and TinyBubbles, being so new and quiet, is never likely to respond to any statement of suspicion so attacking her is a pretty comfortable endeavor for mafia i'd assume (even if she is on their team). it's also perhaps problematic that his only two named suspects might not be compatible -- his first suspect TinyBubbles placed a very quick vote without thinking for his second suspect Elohcin.

3. this was the least important question, so sure. i don't mind the answer or have any thoughts about it.

4. Bass did not address this one. that's not ideal. this was his opportunity to actually address suspicion cast upon him. he answered the easy questions above, but avoided the tough one.

he was suspicious before and still is.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

before i continue, i should offer an explanation for this ISO thing we're doing. i''ve explained already a bit, but it was in larger posts. here's one i can reference in the future if needed.

the purpose of an ISO is not to cast suspicion. so if you see your name underlined with a bunch of quotes and analysis below it, don't immediately assume you're being cased as a suspect. you're being analyzed.

this is what i hope to achieve with my ISOs (and i think Sloonei too, he can correct me if not):

~ thoroughly review the posts made by a single player to refresh my own memory on his/her contributions

~ identify trends or moments within the post history that influence my read -- either positively or negatively

~ highlight those things and explain my thoughts about them. this might even legitimately come in the form of a narrative. or it might be an accusation. or a defense.

~ put all of my thoughts into the thread for others to review -- primarily the single player being assessed. others can then state their own viewpoints, either by agreeing with or contesting the points i make.

~ encourage self-defense from players who are being called suspicious in an ISO, to further influence my perspective.

~ to influence other players' perspectives of me. so much content means i have a lot of opportunities to make good points or to be manipulative. and that helps people read me however they may.

things that i DO NOT want:

~ to stall conversation from other players while i drop large posts into the thread

~ to be ignorant of context when i draw posts out of isolation. it's possible to miss context in this process, i understand. so if i do that, point it out. and if you think i did it on purpose, accuse me of that.

~ to be ignored. this one is up to everyone else of course. but this is hard work, and i am trying to affect the game for the better. i only ask that you give me a chance. the RYMers and MP are familiar with me already, but the rest of you are not. i understand my style is unique.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 358
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

One minute of silence for the death of one of the economists of this game.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/j ... -1.2233775

I didn't even know the guy existed until one week ago (though I had heard of game theory).

RIP
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:One minute of silence for the death of one of the economists of this game.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/j ... -1.2233775

I didn't even know the guy existed until one week ago (though I had heard of game theory).

RIP
:(

the biographical book by Sylvia Nasar "A Beautiful Mind" (inspiration for the film) is wonderful. i have a ton of admiration for J.F. Nash and this is very saddening. RIP.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Roxy
Hitman
Posts in topic: 44
Preferred Pronouns: She, Her, Whore if ya know me

Post by Roxy »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Roxy wrote:Answers in color - btw anyone can pull a post out of context and spin it to make it look good or bad. :)
that's not the point of this exercise. the point is to find trends, or interesting moments, and ask about them. or even just talk about them. the point of an ISO is not to cast suspicion upon a player. it is to ANALYZE a player and thus influence one's own read of him/her. so i looked over your posts, found some things i didn't like and at least one thing i did like, and then came to a final conclusion -- that you are suspicious. i can understand if people around here aren't used to this approach, but i'm honestly kind of sick of seeing it treated like some kind of inferior method. give it a chance.

it's good that you've replied to my points. that's the entire purpose of this. now we're in a dialogue and we'll emerge with more thorough perspectives of each other than we had before.

I am glad you think it was good I replied :shrug:
Roxy wrote:its my standard practice, unlike some on this site, to give the new people to our site a day or so to acclimate before I vote or kill them as the case may be. I am not the only one who does this sort of thing.
MP is the opposite (or used to be until this game) he would go after new people the first day and push hard for their lynch overwhelming and derailing the thread with it.
this is can believe. i don't like to vote for brand new players on Day 1 on my home site either -- it can discourage their participation in future games. but i wanted to hear you say it instead of merely say it for you.

kk-----?
Roxy wrote:I disagree and you should not be surprised. You and MP are overwhelming the thread trying to control everything and everyone. Making it very hard to keep up. If someone disagrees with a point you or someone on your rainbow list who you deem good then you inundate them with iso posts and rainbow lists. Your blanket criticism of low posters is discouraging and condescending. Sorry I do not have the spare time you have as I am a working adult with bills to pay - in order to pay bills I have to work. Work takes me away from mafia bc my boss likes when I work and not play games. I work 7 days a week. I have a life outside of work that is not an easy one right now. I am not looking for sympathy I am however asking for some compassion for those that cannot be here as many hours of the day as you are able to. Just bc I do not have a million posts does not mean I am not trying.
i had no intention of being condescending. i might even state that your criticism of MP and i even looks condescending. i am sure you don't mean it that way. so let's stow the personal feelings and just talk about the mafia game, eh? like i suggested in my last post -- i am also a working adult with bills to pay. and i work quite a lot. sometimes that prevents me from posting as much as i would like, so i understand. and it seems you're playing in more than one game right now, so that's also a valid excuse. my point was never to criticize you for having a low post count. it was to question your honesty about criticizing people with a HIGH post count. because there's nothing inherently wrong with players staying highly active and assessing others thoroughly. MP and i are just thorough players. that's our preferred style. nothing else to say about that.
Nah I am in only 1 serious game and another one that is just fun and fluffy - so really just this one game.

I am sorry but if you do not think someone with 300+ posts and another with 200+ posts is controlling and overwhelming then we will have to agree to disagree (the nearest next poster only has 100 posts) - it would really help if you two used OT button for your OT posts which are about 1/2 your posts (especially MP). It would really help those who are just trying to stay current and caught up. You know there is nothing inherently wrong with being a low poster and we can still assess others just as thoroughly in just one post that may take you 10 posts of repeating yourself. It does feel like you are down on me mostly bc of my low post count if you want total honesty. Yah my point stands and I do not mean to be condescending or mean.

Roxy wrote:TH is not playing normal idc if he is changing his style I had him pegged as bad day 2 in the champions game. I have played and hosted TH so I feel like I can judge his style better than you.
i am sure you can judge him better than i can based on meta at least. i never even suggested your read on TH is wrong. my point was that he was your sole focus, and that kind of narrow approach can be called suspicious.

He was/is not my sole focus.
Roxy wrote:JJJ: Roxy's suspicion of TH is at least in part driven by her very different read on Golden. i think this is a fair reason to be suspicious of TH, particularly given the abruptness of his vote. i wasn't that suspicious myself, but i don't struggle to imagine a townie genuinely feeling differently.

and your point here is...?
this is where you may be misunderstanding my intentions when i do an ISO. i am not just looking for suspicious posts, i am looking for posts that affect my read in any way. and that post earned a positive grade. i liked it. so i said i liked it.

all righty then----
Roxy wrote:JJJ: this bit was directed at MP. it bears the appearance of something at least mildly accusatory in implication, but it isn't at all accusatory in language. so that's something Roxy could talk about. what was your perspective of MP when you made this post, and how do you feel about him now?

Already asked and answered I thought you had read all my posts and not just pulled some to suit your needs.
My perspective was that he was being nice and it was not normal for him - read his Dr Who back and forth with poor zeek Day 1 - I think me and later MP were both recruited but my point still stands it was not normal behavior for MP day 1 this game.
but that response doesn't address my point. i believe that you were asserting MP's behavior was abnormal, i never contested that. what i suggested was that you were casting suspicion upon him without directly stating "MP is suspicious" or any such thing. and that can be called manipulative. you'd be contributing to the ongoing case against a player without taking personal responsibility for that action.

I was not "casting suspicion" I was merely making an observation (mostly for the newbies benefit I might add) If I have something to say about MP believe YOU will NOT be the first to know, HE will be :)
Roxy wrote:JJJ: Roxy's vote for TH came at a time when i think it was quite apparent that he had no chance of being lynched (53 minutes prior to the deadline). so on that front, it could be called an inconsequential and evasive vote. Roxy did not speak much at all about the larger bandwagons of Day 1 (Golden and Bass).

and your point here is...?
This whole iso thingy seems to be more of a narrative than a suspicions post imo.
this was one of the more important points in my post. your vote was consistent with your stated suspicions of TH, that i don't dispute. but it was also highly ineffective within the larger picture of the developing lynch. there was a very low chance of Turnip Head becoming the eventual lynchee, so that you voted for him without commenting on the other cases in the conversation can be called evasive. i know i've seen mafia players avoid the ill-advised bandwagons of townies on Day 1 with throwaway votes like this one. so i made the assertion and left you to respond to it. you still haven't

Your kidding, right?

I was the only one to voice concerns over TH's vote for Golden knowing it could lead to a bandwagon. So I did comment that I felt the opposite of TH in his suspicion and vote for Golden and I voted accordingly.

Maybe your other post got buried in one of your long quotey posts I skimmed idk - but I do try a respond when questioned directly. TBH I thought I had previously responded to this.

Roxy wrote:Why are you insinuating words into my post that are not there? You can twist this all you want but I post when I have free time. I cannot be in the thread as much as you or MP. I did state my dissatisfaction with TH and his vote and reasons. Sorry i could not do it sooner due to rl.
and this post was not helpful just mean (impoo)
i had no intention of being mean, so if i was perceived that way i apologize. realize that we are playing *mafia*, and if i think something is suspicious then i am going to point it out and say why. that's the entire point of this game.

tomato/tomahtoe/potato/pahtatoe
Roxy wrote:He is not right and anyone with half a brain can see that Bubbles is a likely civ with no btsc. His lie also led to the lynch of a civ last round gtk you trust his opinion. Did you even notice he never responded to me or my questions? No you did not bc that would require something more than an iso or rainbow list :P I am trying to prevent what happened to Golden from happening to Bubbles - something you just bitched about up there^^^ that I gave no effort in helping prevent a Golden lynch. Well I have time so I am trying right now to help Bubbles and you say that I know and so I am bad - you are right I do know bc it is so obv. You should read Bubbles again.
Also make up your mind it is so contradictory. :huh:
to my knowledge i have at least half a brain and i cannot claim to be as confident about TinyBubbles as you are. and you're suggesting i'm the one being mean? sheesh.
You are right i apologize for my 1/2 a brain comment. My point still stands how can you read Bubbles posts and think "man this player is sooo bad"? I will always stand up for those I believe are being wrongly voted for. Why are you so contradictory on this subject?
;)
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Roxy wrote:Your kidding, right?

I was the only one to voice concerns over TH's vote for Golden knowing it could lead to a bandwagon. So I did comment that I felt the opposite of TH in his suspicion and vote for Golden and I voted accordingly.

Maybe your other post got buried in one of your long quotey posts I skimmed idk - but I do try a respond when questioned directly. TBH I thought I had previously responded to this.
i think you're missing my point again. i know you cast suspicion on TH. and from that standpoint it makes sense that you voted for him. my problem with the vote isn't that it's inconsistent with your posts -- it is consistent with them.

my issue is that even if you felt TH was suspicious, he wasn't likely to be lynched. other players were not really echoing your concern about him, as you alluded to yourself here. so even if you thought he was suspicious, you were likely to be the only person voting for him on Day 1. that means he wasn't likely to be lynched. and when a voter is all alone on a suspect while the rest are situated on a couple larger bandwagons, that stands out. that's why i said it can be called "evasive".

sometimes mafia avoid bandwagons that will end in a townie flip. they place their vote elsewhere to avoid personal responsibility. and your vote fits that profile.
Roxy wrote:You are right i apologize for my 1/2 a brain comment. My point still stands how can you read Bubbles posts and think "man this player is sooo bad"? I will always stand up for those I believe are being wrongly voted for. Why are you so contradictory on this subject?
what have i been contradictory about? i honestly have no idea.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Roxy
Hitman

Post by Roxy »

Omfg I cannot believe I have such gianormous posts :O

I will likely not be responding to anymore ISO's bc

A) It gave me a headache.
B) My thoughts get lost in them bc everyone is skimming them including me.
C) They are just not my style.
D) If I do respond it will not be by quote.
;)
Roxy
Hitman

Post by Roxy »

Jimmy - why would I vote for someone just bc they have votes if I am not suspicious of them? I voted TH bc I was not suspicious of Bass, MP or Golden. Are you saying I should vote for someone I think is civvie just so my vote is not evasive - That will never happen.

You are being contradictory about me trying to help those under the gun for lynch.

I said what i had time to say for Golden and I am saying what I have time to say about Bubbles.

You said I should have done for Golden more forcefully and when I am doing it for Bubbles I am suspicious for it - make up your mind :)
;)
Roxy
Hitman

Post by Roxy »

Jimmy - Why do another ISO on someone when your conclusion is the same?

Is it just to build your post count?

FYI My time is up for now I will be back around lynch time in the mean time I am putting my vote on Turnips

should not be a surprise to anyone.
;)
fingersplints
Hitman
Posts in topic: 231

Re: Death and Taxes: An Economics Mafia [DAY 1]

Post by fingersplints »

purple-y :suspish: :suspish:
Sloonei wrote:fingersplints
fingersplints wrote:Damn you guys are posting a lot. I'm only about half way through this
Expresses early that this game is moving faster than she's used to. It's believable here, as that seems to be a genuine piece of culture shock for many people in this game. That does nothing to suggest an alignment, but it's something to be considered when looking at these posts.

I can dig this post because it's at least a substantiated claim about MP's early-game behavior being strange. I cannot comment on the substance, of course, but it's nice to observe that it's there.
fingersplints wrote:
Elohcin wrote:Anyway, I am leaning civ on Epi, Golden, MM, Splints, and Jimmy. I am not sure about San, Sloo, DDL, MP, and BR.
BR's defense of MP definitely caught my eye. Especially in a one mafia set up. If she was bad, I mean he could be a indy but she would know he was more likely to be good.

@JJJ - Golden hasn't played mafia in years, and recently returned. I think he's been killed relatively early in all the games since his return, so that could be why he thinks new players are in danger of being lynched early. Personally, unless one of you slips up bad or something, I do not plan on voting for any of you.
Claims to have noticed Black Rock's "defense of MP" as something worth noting. I don't know what is meant by a "one mafia set up", and it would be nice to hear an elaboration on this thought, if possible or if it doesn't already exist. What was it about Black Rock's early behavior that caught your eye, fingersplints? And what was the hypothetical situation you were imagining? And what do you think of these things now?

I think I've been fairly clear about what caught my eye about BR: her defense of MP and then backtracking and saying she didn't defend him. This mafia game only has one mafia team, whereas others have more. So if BR is mafia, she would know if MP is . Sure he could be an indy, but probability says he is a civvie then. In games with two mafias, that would decrease his chances of being civvie. IF BR is bad - that means that MP is a civvie, who she was defending so when he was lynched and revealed as such she would look ok. Or she was defending MP because he is her teammate. I feel much stronger about my BR suspicions then anything else, and I feel like I'd really need to know if I am right before I continue to figure out how she relates to MP.
fingersplints wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Has anyone considered that G-Man is pulling a gambit, isn't actually cursed, and is skating by on Day 1?

Why did a couple of players automatically dismiss any future suspicion of him assuming he's cursed?
:shrug2: Nothing to find him suspicious of today and don't like to vote cursed players. He doesn't get a free pass the whole game though.
I can buy this as a townie post at that stage in the game, early Day 1. She points to G-man as a potential suspect down the line if answers don't come up for his strange behavior, while refraining from offering any other strong reads, which I don't see as a problem.
Still, it leaves the door open for easy outs later on if she is scum.

I had commented on this because I didn't really like MP's point in that post. I didn't at the time and still do not see anyone dismissing future suspicion of Gman. All most said was that they didn't want to vote Gman while cursed. Now, it makes me wonder because it seems almost like MP knew this curse would last longer then normal.

I don't point to him as a future suspect, but am going to keep it open. When someone is cursed it is hard to read them. I literally have no idea on Gman.

fingersplints wrote:So I'm a bit torn on MP. I think that the thing that bothers me the most is actually that I feel like a lot of his posts have a "tell me why I'm bad" demanding vibe going on, and I associate that more with a baddie. The timing thing doesn't bother me (although I totes get where Epi is coming from - it could be he just didn't want to answer that question hoping it would be forgotten) and although I think the Gman thing is weird I don't think makes him bad. The same thing could be pointed out about MP - why even bring up the question of if it is faked when it would draw so much attention for it.
Golden and TH are also bothering me by their different play but I'm not sure it makes either bad necessarily.

BR is still my biggest suspect for defending MP and then saying she wasn't defending him. I will probably be voting there.
This post is a little more developed than the previous one and I find it perhaps a bit inconsistent with the previous post (or my analysis of it) where she noted G-man as someone worth paying attention to. Here she names a bunch of names, none of them G-man, and returns to Black Rock as her top suspect because of her "defending MP" thing. Would you be able to elaborate on that now, fingersplints? How do you feel now, and why did you feel that way at the time?

My previous post in no way noted Gman as someone worth paying attention to. I listed a "bunch of names" because I was commenting on everything discussed in the thread, although I am not sure how you can that none of them are Gman when you started this point complaining about how I was telling people I found Gman worth paying attention too, which didn't happen. (sorry G - I hope that doesn't come off as rude. you just haven't said anything because of the curse) What exactly do you mean I returned to BR as my top suspect? I never left it? What else would you like for me to elaborate here? You keep asking but I gave my reason so if you want more you need to be specific. I feel exactly the same way now, and I felt that way at the time for the reasons I already gave.
fingersplints wrote:The other thing that bothered me about MP was his line about TinyBubbles setting off "ALARM BELLS OF RAGE" for wanting to randomize despite that a lot has happened. Not that much has happened tbh. Some of these long posts are long for the sake of being long tbh
Why is it that crazy for a new person to want to randomize that it would make you rage? That bit seemed weird and forced

Linki - I gotta reread them one at a time. Those guys were mashing together for me a bit there. I don't do well with walls of text :p I'm not surprised by their reads although I don't agree seem to agree with most of them.
It is with great irony I ask what is meant by posts being "long for the sake of being long"? Do you feel certain players are (were) just adding fluff to their posts for the sake of throwing sand in our eyes, or something else? If so, who might those players have been/be?

A lot of these longer posts are saying something that I feel could have been condensed in a much shorter post. For example, in this post you just asked me the same question multiple different ways, and I am still not even clear what more you want me to say about my BR suspicion.
Specifically by long for the sake of being long, I have seen players beef up their posts to try and make it seem like they are contributing more then they actually are. I find excessive OT, discussion of roles, discussion of day 0 polls, and things of the like to be a way baddies can have a bunch of posts without contributing to talk of suspicions.
The rainbow posts tbh are starting to feel like fluff to me. I look through them and keep seeing no change, so it seems like the same thing being reiterated for no reason.

fingersplints wrote:I'm having a hard time keeping track of this game. sorry guys, haven't even done my reread of the new guys. I'm probably going to vote for one of the people with a shady day 1 vote. So far I am leaning TH, only because I think Elo is explaining herself a bit better then TH. Maybe I am a little bit clouded by my last experience with a civvie Elo in Roger Rabbit.

Does anyone have any logical reasoning that Gman could still be cursed?
echoes the frustrations alluded to in her first post. I suppose it lends credibility to the claim, at least. And there is still some substantiated casing going on. She is eyeing the votes from yesterday's phase, and once again naming G-man as someone worth discussing. I could go either way on these sorts of behavior. It could be scum locking on to a few targets early in the game and gripping on to them as things progress. Or it could be a townie trying to work out a couple aspects of the game on their own. I would like to see more follow up posts from splints before I can really make up my mind on this.

In your last point you complained about me throwing out too many names, now I am "locking on targets" Which is it? Am I discussing too many people or too little?
fingersplints wrote:I still suspect Black Rock a lot, but it's hard to have any new reason to when she is all sick and not around posting.
Expresses again in her most recent post that original suspicion of Black Rock. I can understand the perspective, but it would be nice to hear some elaboration from fingersplints on what exactly about Black Rock's behavior she finds suspicious. She has observed that BR appeared to defend MP early in the game but then suddenly backed off of that stance. But what do you find suspicious about that? And, while BR's content remains low,, what do you think of some of the other points in the game? Have you looked at yesterday's votes and come to any conclusions?

Again, the same question. See above.
I bolded the second bit because lol when did I suddenly back off my BR suspicion?

I did look at yesterdays vote. As I said in the post that you just quoted, I find TH's vote to be the most suspicious.

And you were given the option to examine all us newbies earlier in the game but still have not offered any real substantial readings of us all. This was a bit of a response
fingersplints wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Sloonei wrote:Do you think it's more likely they're scum just not sure what to say about us, or townies just not sure what to think about us?
I don't think it's indicative of any alignment. I just think they prefer familiarity, so there is a good chance they are not reading as deeply into any of the newer players posts as they are into some of the regulars here. I find I have to put more effort into reading the newer players, because I don't know your styles, and y'all are foreign to me (with the exception of Dragon D. Luffy and TinyBubbles). So, if this is the case, I don't think it is good for several players to ignore the existance of half a dozen other players.
I mentioned them all in one go actually:
fingersplints wrote:The other thing that bothered me about MP was his line about TinyBubbles setting off "ALARM BELLS OF RAGE" for wanting to randomize despite that a lot has happened. Not that much has happened tbh. Some of these long posts are long for the sake of being long tbh
Why is it that crazy for a new person to want to randomize that it would make you rage? That bit seemed weird and forced

Linki - I gotta reread them one at a time. Those guys were mashing together for me a bit there. I don't do well with walls of text :p I'm not surprised by their reads although I don't agree seem to agree with most of them.
This was just a little while ago. I haven't gotten a chance to reread them since then and likely won't be able to this day period.
I don't prefer familiarity. You know I am in a bunch of games with players I don't know atm :p This is just what has stuck out to me so far. I haven't even given my read on Rox yet!
Has anything happened since then involving any of us? Who's good and who's bad among us

Perhaps you. This posts is all over the place. I'm not sure I have ever seemingly been accused of tunneling on and backtracking away from the same person in the same post.

I'm fairly neutral on fingersplints here. There seem to be a lot of posts suggesting a few fairly strong ideas in the thread, but not a whole lot of substance to those ideas. I'll need to see more of before making a more definitive read. I would class fingersplints as distinctly not a town read at this point, but not necessarily a scum read.
Gro-oo-ovy
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Roxy wrote:
fingersplints wrote:I'm having a hard time keeping track of this game. sorry guys, haven't even done my reread of the new guys. I'm probably going to vote for one of the people with a shady day 1 vote. So far I am leaning TH, only because I think Elo is explaining herself a bit better then TH. Maybe I am a little bit clouded by my last experience with a civvie Elo in Roger Rabbit.

I gave a reason here and I am surprised you did not think of it since you have now played on AW :)
The I am Groot restriction happened to Sapient.
I have no idea what the I am Groot restriction is still, but I feel like I heard it mentioned on AW. There was loads of referenced that game I didn't get lol. Sapient did not play 1940's Hollywood mafia on AW :shrug2:
Gro-oo-ovy
Roxy
Hitman

Post by Roxy »

fingersplints wrote:
Roxy wrote:

I gave a reason here and I am surprised you did not think of it since you have now played on AW :)
I have no idea what the I am Groot restriction is still, but I feel like I heard it mentioned on AW. There was loads of referenced that game I didn't get lol. Sapient did not play 1940's Hollywood mafia on AW :shrug2:
Oh right then I forgot Sap did not play 1940's. It was on the AW in Timmer's game - all Sap could say for the ENTIRE game was "I am Groot"
and then hilarity ensued :D

What do you think of TH's game play?
;)
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Roxy wrote:Jimmy - why would I vote for someone just bc they have votes if I am not suspicious of them? I voted TH bc I was not suspicious of Bass, MP or Golden. Are you saying I should vote for someone I think is civvie just so my vote is not evasive - That will never happen.
i'm not saying anything. i'm stating a perspective and giving you opportunities to explain yourself. because that helps me read you better. and this answer addresses the point i was making well. to answer your question:

no, i don't expect you to vote for someone you read as town under any circumstances.
Roxy wrote:You are being contradictory about me trying to help those under the gun for lynch.

I said what i had time to say for Golden and I am saying what I have time to say about Bubbles.

You said I should have done for Golden more forcefully and when I am doing it for Bubbles I am suspicious for it - make up your mind :)
i didn't say you should have protected Golden. i said it would have made more sense if you'd protected him since you were admonishing other players who did not do that. i saw in your commentary what looked like retrospective criticism which was inconsistent with your own actions. so i stated that. now with Bubbles you are indeed being vocally protective. fair enough.

~~~

after this exchange i suspect you less than i did before. do you understand then why i do this? i found you suspicious. we had a conversation. it made me feel better about you. great, awesome.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Roxy wrote:Jimmy - Why do another ISO on someone when your conclusion is the same?
how can someone come to a conclusion before even doing the work? that's the point of an ISO. i never know exactly how i am going to feel about a player until i have done all of that work. besides, i did the ISO first, so that question is irrelevant.
Roxy wrote:Is it just to build your post count?
do you really think i need to try very hard to achieve this? you've complained plenty about my post count. the way i play encourages a lot of posts. if i ever play a game here again, expect a lot of posts.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Roxy wrote:
fingersplints wrote:Those two things have totally different meanings to me. Keeping an eye on = fairly neutral read but still wary. Suspecting = something more substantial

I agree here
btw Happy Sunday whore <3
:hugs: happy sunday! I like your post about bwt. I've been a bit wary of him but idk why. I'm interested in his answers.
Roxy wrote:
fingersplints wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:f but i can't help but be concerned about a player with one suspicious encounter early in the game and nothing else since other than a little detached commentary and off-topic posting.
I think she might be busy and bad. :nicenod:

I trust your read- can you elaborate for me?
There was a lot of discussion earlier about people using RL excuses. I was just trying to be playful with my suspicion and make it clear that I believe that BR is really sick, but that I think she is bad still.

if I missed any other posts directed to me please let me know.
Gro-oo-ovy
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Roxy wrote:
fingersplints wrote:
Roxy wrote:

Oh right then I forgot Sap did not play 1940's. It was on the AW in Timmer's game - all Sap could say for the ENTIRE game was "I am Groot"
and then hilarity ensued :D

What do you think of TH's game play?
I don't know what to make of it tbh. It seems suspicious to me BUT I have had btsc with him as a baddie, and this isn't that. I have had btsc with him as a neutral - in which we played as civvies, and this isn't that. He could be the indy, but TH is a better player then to make his posts that obvious.
idk honestly. This is a tough one because I find him suspicious but it doesn't match anything I know of TH's character.
Gro-oo-ovy
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 191
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

i'm seeing a lot of seeming confusion over these ISO posts. is this behavior a new thing here?
It should be stressed that not everything we say in those big posts is meant to be interpreter as a scum read. In all of my ISOs I go in with a completely neutral pointnof view and just respond to a person's posts as I go through them. I could interpret someone's behavior as being town-like rather than scum-like. I think that may be the reason fingersplints accused my post of being "all over the place" - she took everything I said to as a notice of scumminess, when that is not the case. A number of the things I brought up in my post were simply observations or townie points for you.

I'll respond to more points from that post in detail later when i'm on my computer, but i just wanted to make this clarification first. I am not just looking for scum reads.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 722
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Hi! Not here for long.

First off, John Nash died?!?! 'Tis a sad day. RIP. :rip:

There is definitely a lot of confusion about ISOs. I've seen people go back and read someone's posts ISO all the time, they just don't usually come in and say anything about them, though, unless there's accompanied suspicion -- and that is where the confusion is likely coming in. Instead, if someone usually goes through and analyzes someone's post in ISO and then makes a post with a bunch of quotes, it's typically because they have established a case for suspicion that they want the player to respond to. I've deviated from this in a few past games and got grilled for "flooding the thread" by a few so it doesn't surprise me that (1) I love ISOs and (2) some do not love them.

I don't understand the bad vibes going around here. Yes, I know there are different communities coming together with different viewpoints on the game, but I don't dig some of what Roxy's putting down, and I found some of what she said as potentially alienating and hostile to other approaches to the game. I think keeping our minds open to other ways of playing is good, personally, and I think she would agree.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

That said, Rox tends to utilize her gut in playing much more (something I noted earlier when Jay asked who would be most likely to respond to early pressure emotionally, and I think Rox agreed with me), so I can totally understand why she finds no value in an ISO, which typifies 'pure analysis'. I think it's inevitable that those who higher prioritize analysis for the sake of transparency will higher prioritize ISOs.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

And I have one question for Sloonei:

I noted your rainbow list and that you have Jay and I high on the list because we see eye to eye. However, I want to ask: Does agreeing with someone's points or their approach to the game make them more likely civilian? If not, then can you explain why you specifically noted that as significant to your reads?
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

I was going to answer, but I'll let Rox take care of that one. Was it me that was answering for other people before? It probably was. XD
Gro-oo-ovy
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

fingersplints wrote:I was going to answer, but I'll let Rox take care of that one. Was it me that was answering for other people before? It probably was. XD
No worries! I do that all the time. XD

I agree with Jay that sometimes it's best to let the player answer if they're asked a question directly if you specifically want to gauge their response, but in other situations I think it's totally fine for others to provide context.

What's on your mind, splints?
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

think of all these ISOs as a refernce source. No one actually has to look at them, but say you want to know what Player x has said about Player y. You can go and find Player x's ISO of Player y and there's everything they have to say for you to digest. They're not necessarily cases for suspicion.
That said, I would hope everyone's at least looking at the ISO posts made about themselves.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Now, I want to add: I didn't mean to imply, along with Jay, that anyone post less is not trying to solve the game; I just thrive on posting a lot and gauging everyone's reactions constantly, and I meld really well with Jay's (and by extension a few other RYM's styles). It's funny because when playing Mafia #84 I realized that I just approach the game more similarly to the major players there than I do the major players from LP olden times. Maybe it's a music thing. :P

Just kidding, I think ISOs are pretty standard practice, actually, which feeds back into a comment made by DDL I think yesterday which I didn't yet address that we have a lot of unique playstyles here. I don't think we should abandon those by any means. So I hope no one gets that impression. I just think, especially since The Syndicate itself is a melting pot (and we all remember how rocky some of the first few games with PAers and LPers were, since they approach the game differently), that we should be as open-minded as possible to new approaches to the game, as Golden plugged earlier.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sloonei wrote:think of all these ISOs as a refernce source. No one actually has to look at them, but say you want to know what Player x has said about Player y. You can go and find Player x's ISO of Player y and there's everything they have to say for you to digest. They're not necessarily cases for suspicion.
That said, I would hope everyone's at least looking at the ISO posts made about themselves.
I love reading them all. It's perfect for me because it's a very structured way to organize my thoughts on players and to find what other players are thinking, instead of having to ask (which I often do): "Hey so and so, what do you think about so and so? What about this other person? Oh, and now that you've answered that, how about this OTHER person?"
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
fingersplints wrote:I was going to answer, but I'll let Rox take care of that one. Was it me that was answering for other people before? It probably was. XD

I agree with Jay that sometimes it's best to let the player answer if they're asked a question directly if you specifically want to gauge their response, but in other situations I think it's totally fine for others to provide context.

Well, just that if content of low posting is worthwhile for suspicions content of high posting should be too :p

And with Golden and MM gone I feel extremely protective over Tiny Bubbles. I'm hoping that doesn't cloud my judgement.

Also, that people should wear their seatbelts. :sigh:

linki: I can't wait to see how they handle Vomps :kadaj:
Gro-oo-ovy
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

MovingPictures07 wrote:And I have one question for Sloonei:

I noted your rainbow list and that you have Jay and I high on the list because we see eye to eye. However, I want to ask: Does agreeing with someone's points or their approach to the game make them more likely civilian? If not, then can you explain why you specifically noted that as significant to your reads?
In Jay's case spefically I find that agreeing with him is usually a good sign. We've played 500 games together and are usually both, well, like this. Whenever we draw many of the same conclusions I get the sense that it's because we're both town looking for and at the same things and thinking about them in the same manner. I could always turn out to be completely wrong, in which case he becomes a suspect. We'll need to start seeing some of these reads come to fruition before that happens though.
With you I'm going out on a limb a bit. Generally I would not say that simply agreeing with a person does not make them good, but in these two cases I have a good feeling, but will still need to see how these reads turn out.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

fingersplints wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:

Well, just that if content of low posting is worthwhile for suspicions content of high posting should be too :p

And with Golden and MM gone I feel extremely protective over Tiny Bubbles. I'm hoping that doesn't cloud my judgement.

Also, that people should wear their seatbelts. :sigh:

linki: I can't wait to see how they handle Vomps :kadaj:
I don't disagree at all. Do you find anyone who is posting a lot particularly suspicious? If so, who and why?

I can relate, because my reflexes have been a bit protective of the RYMers and DDL, so I have to keep asking myself if it's clouding my judgment, and I'm trying not to let it, but it inevitably probably is a bit, especially in the early stage of the game. Rox and others keep trying to paint as if I was 'mean' to other newcomers to the site and I don't really feel as I was mean. I just tend to have a very emotionally-charged aggressive style when I pursue something I really feel is worthwhile (I recognize this) and it comes across as really intense (all the time) and sometimes probably more pushy than I desire. I had never played with zeek before, or any other general newbies to the site that you guys keeping thinking of. But I've played with Jay, DDL, and at RYM, and particularly because I've talked with some of them quite a bit and because I find a lot of value in how they approach the game, I have been probably a bit mother hen-ish, which is exactly what all of you must be picking up on.

And LOL Vomps. When I saw he replaced Dom, I just thought to myself, 'Oh god'. :haha: It's surprising he hasn't posted his usual insanity much yet. He may just see the post volume and think 'Nah'.

Now I have to go. Be back closer to the deadline to check in again.

Linki w/ Sloonei: Response appreciated! Will mull over it.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 225
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

What did everyone think of Dragon's vote for aether?
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Vote acrosstheaether

You say you want to be replaced. But you come here and vote for Elo. Are you playing the game or not? Make up your mind.

You have been the most suspicious player since the game started. I gave you a pass in day 1 because you provided mechanical reasons not to contribute, but it's day 2 and you keep playing like you don't care about the game at all.

For the record, I believe the Elo lynch is a good one, for reasons I gave in night 1. But I feel a lot better about lynching aether.
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

If he is bad, he could be avoiding casting a vote for Elo so it doesn't look bad if she flips civvie.

If someone wants to be replaced I say let them be replaced.
Gro-oo-ovy
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Although, it is a bit weird that acrosstheaether asked to be replaced because of the no role reveal aspect of nightkills, when it has already been pointed out that there site has a role that makes it so roles aren't revealed in NKs.
Gro-oo-ovy
Roxy
Hitman

Post by Roxy »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Hi! Not here for long.

First off, John Nash died?!?! 'Tis a sad day. RIP. :rip:

There is definitely a lot of confusion about ISOs. I've seen people go back and read someone's posts ISO all the time, they just don't usually come in and say anything about them, though, unless there's accompanied suspicion -- and that is where the confusion is likely coming in. Instead, if someone usually goes through and analyzes someone's post in ISO and then makes a post with a bunch of quotes, it's typically because they have established a case for suspicion that they want the player to respond to. I've deviated from this in a few past games and got grilled for "flooding the thread" by a few so it doesn't surprise me that (1) I love ISOs and (2) some do not love them.

I don't understand the bad vibes going around here. Yes, I know there are different communities coming together with different viewpoints on the game, but I don't dig some of what Roxy's putting down, and I found some of what she said as potentially alienating and hostile to other approaches to the game. I think keeping our minds open to other ways of playing is good, personally, and I think she would agree.
Hostile? Really? C'mon Sock! I am your original Ambassador so YOU know my mind is open. I just feel like the only reason some suspected me was bc I did not have a lot of posts to be wrong.

Ofc comparably my few posts when measured to you and Jimmy does not look like a whole lot but does that mean I am not trying? No.

Does it mean I should start making Iso's? No.

Does it mean I should make Rainbow lists? No.

But you guys insisting that everyone should post more and if you don't you are not really trying is disheartening for me bc I am doing the best I can when I can be here.I feel picked on as a low poster this game. And I do not care for that. Maybe its a bit emo for me but hey you know my rl so ofc I am a lot more emo than normal maybe I am taking things too literally I don't know.
I thought since this was a speed game it would be fluff but I was wrong.

Also flooding the thread is the same as overwhelming the thread. You say yourself you are posting more just to be Jimmy - for tbhose of us not in this competition I would ask you measure me by a different stick than you would with Jimmy.

Sorry again if I am alienating anyone with my poutyness of high/low poster talk. <3

Do not take it personally kk?
;)
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Sloonei wrote:spefically
I brought my A game to the thread today.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Yeah, I want opinions on my vote too. And not only what it means about me, but also what it means about the person I'm voting for.
Sloonei wrote:
Epi is cursing you right now.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 110

Post by Epignosis »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Yeah, I want opinions on my vote too. And not only what it means about me, but also what it means about the person I'm voting for.
Sloonei wrote:
:mafia:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 52

Post by thellama73 »

Just a friendly host/mod reminder that we want to keep the thread civil and game-oriented. Please refrain from personal attacks and bring any complaints to me via PM.

I'm not saying anyone has done anything wrong, but I want to make sure we keep it that way.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Also, if anyone really wants to be replaced, they need to let the hosts know via PM.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

MovingPictures07 wrote:(and we all remember how rocky some of the first few games with PAers and LPers were, since they approach the game differently)
I was a PAer. Was I rocky?

Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 225
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Yeah, I want opinions on my vote too. And not only what it means about me, but also what it means about the person I'm voting for.
Sloonei wrote:
What does it mean about the person you're voting for?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

On my phone. I may have less time tonight than anticipated. If anyone wants my take an a specific player i haven't covered yet or has any questions, lemme know now.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Re: Death and Taxes: An Economics Mafia [DAY 1]

Post by Sloonei »

i'll try to respond to this in the most visibly pleasing an un-huge way possible :)
fingersplints wrote:I think I've been fairly clear about what caught my eye about BR: her defense of MP and then backtracking and saying she didn't defend him. This mafia game only has one mafia team, whereas others have more. So if BR is mafia, she would know if MP is . Sure he could be an indy, but probability says he is a civvie then. In games with two mafias, that would decrease his chances of being civvie. IF BR is bad - that means that MP is a civvie, who she was defending so when he was lynched and revealed as such she would look ok. Or she was defending MP because he is her teammate. I feel much stronger about my BR suspicions then anything else, and I feel like I'd really need to know if I am right before I continue to figure out how she relates to MP.
Thank you for the response and clarification. I dig it.
I would follow-up by asking what is it about that particular behavior from BR you find suspicious? I ask because, as I noted in my ISO of her that I actually think that behavior made her look good in my eyes. I see it as a townie (Black Rock) giving an early read on a player (MP07) but then not wanting that read to be interpreted differently than she intended by others.

I had commented on this because I didn't really like MP's point in that post. I didn't at the time and still do not see anyone dismissing future suspicion of Gman. All most said was that they didn't want to vote Gman while cursed. Now, it makes me wonder because it seems almost like MP knew this curse would last longer then normal.

I don't point to him as a future suspect, but am going to keep it open. When someone is cursed it is hard to read them. I literally have no idea on Gman.
lol. I completely misread your post, and was conflating MP07's into yours. That's my bad. In my defense, it was like 3 in the morning. What don't you like about MP's point, and what do you think of G-man now? (Also, this point was not meant as a "complaint" at all, I was bringing it up because I liked your skepticism about G-man, whether or not it actually exists)
My previous post in no way noted Gman as someone worth paying attention to. I listed a "bunch of names" because I was commenting on everything discussed in the thread, although I am not sure how you can that none of them are Gman when you started this point complaining about how I was telling people I found Gman worth paying attention too, which didn't happen. (sorry G - I hope that doesn't come off as rude. you just haven't said anything because of the curse) What exactly do you mean I returned to BR as my top suspect? I never left it? What else would you like for me to elaborate here? You keep asking but I gave my reason so if you want more you need to be specific. I feel exactly the same way now, and I felt that way at the time for the reasons I already gave.
All the G-man confusion aside, I'm still not seeing much elaboration on your Black Rock suspicion. You've pointed to her apparent change of stance on MP, but not explained why you find that behavior suspicious (unless I am missing something, of course, which we've already seen can be the case).
A lot of these longer posts are saying something that I feel could have been condensed in a much shorter post. For example, in this post you just asked me the same question multiple different ways, and I am still not even clear what more you want me to say about my BR suspicion.
Specifically by long for the sake of being long, I have seen players beef up their posts to try and make it seem like they are contributing more then they actually are. I find excessive OT, discussion of roles, discussion of day 0 polls, and things of the like to be a way baddies can have a bunch of posts without contributing to talk of suspicions.
The rainbow posts tbh are starting to feel like fluff to me. I look through them and keep seeing no change, so it seems like the same thing being reiterated for no reason.
Your point about these long posts is well taken, but I would ask what you think of Jay's and my responses about the purpose of our ISO posts. In a way they absolutely are "long for the sake of being long", but our goal is not to pile fluff on top of fluff. They are long because we're ass-hats who like to be as thorough as we can in building our reads, even if all it amounts to is "Yeah, I guess this person could be town maybe, idk".
Do you think I, or any of the other long posters, are doing these fluffy things you highlight in your post? What about the rainbow lists? What is wrong with them? They're just a way for a player to update the thread on all their reads. Things can be reiterated if they remain true, I've got no issue with that.

In your last point you complained about me throwing out too many names, now I am "locking on targets" Which is it? Am I discussing too many people or too little?
The last point was not a complaint. Throwing out lots of names is a good thing to do. Neither is this a complaint about you locking in on targets. I was making a hypothetical speculation about you possibly being bad here. Your behavior, from a pure mafia-playing perspective, is not suspicious. I am curious about your motives, is all. That is to say I do not think you're above suspicion.
fingersplints wrote:I still suspect Black Rock a lot, but it's hard to have any new reason to when she is all sick and not around posting.
Expresses again in her most recent post that original suspicion of Black Rock. I can understand the perspective, but it would be nice to hear some elaboration from fingersplints on what exactly about Black Rock's behavior she finds suspicious. She has observed that BR appeared to defend MP early in the game but then suddenly backed off of that stance. But what do you find suspicious about that? And, while BR's content remains low,, what do you think of some of the other points in the game? Have you looked at yesterday's votes and come to any conclusions?

Again, the same question. See above.
I bolded the second bit because lol when did I suddenly back off my BR suspicion?

I did look at yesterdays vote. As I said in the post that you just quoted, I find TH's vote to be the most suspicious.
I've highlighted the contested part of the post in blue. This is a part where you're misunderstanding me. I am not saying that you ever backed off of your suspicion of BR. The whole latter portion of that sentence in blue is about Black Rock. I'm merely restating your observation that she backed off of her stance on MP07. You've certainly remained consistent with it all game.
Could you elaborate on what is most suspicious about TH's vote? Or why his is more suspicious than, for example, Elohcin's?
And you were given the option to examine all us newbies earlier in the game but still have not offered any real substantial readings of us all...
Has anything happened since then involving any of us? Who's good and who's bad among us

Perhaps you. This posts is all over the place. I'm not sure I have ever seemingly been accused of tunneling on and backtracking away from the same person in the same post.
I hope I have clarified some of the things that you took to be "all over the place", and would ask the same question again. Do you still find me perhaps suspicious? What about Jay, or Dragon, or sanmateo?
I like this response, on the whole. I would still want to see some more elaborate reads from splints, but I also understand that this way of playing is not how everyone goes about the game and may be a bit foreign here, but any response to anything is a good thing.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Turnip Head wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
What does it mean about the person you're voting for?
At first, it looks like she is just a regular lurker. She even asked to be replaced. But if she doesn't want to play the game anymore, why is she voting?

Either you are playing or you aren't. You can't have your cake and eat it.

And I was already suspecting her for a while. Her low activity other than agreeing with a few people and not saying anything else, her statement that she didn't even think she was going to be useful in D1...

And guess what, I've seen her reading the thread a few times in the phase. She is lurking and she is voting. But not posting. Can it get any more scummy than that?
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

At this point I think aether would be my third suspect behind Bass and Elohcin, and I can get behind a vote of her right now, at least in spirit. I would want to hear more from her because most of my case against her has to do with her inactivity. But the longer it lasts, the worse it looks.

Still need to look more closely at a few others, namely Turnip Head and Elohcin. I'm still leaning heavily toward either Elo or Bass today, but my mind is not fully made up.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:On my phone. I may have less time tonight than anticipated. If anyone wants my take an a specific player i haven't covered yet or has any questions, lemme know now.
You commented that you and I came to similar conclusions about fingersplints. Is there more you could add to that? Where does she fit right now in your rainbow list?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Again, not here for long. Taking a break from homework again and posting while I eat lunch (Epi, I'm having a spinach salad). :P

Turnip Head wrote:What did everyone think of Dragon's vote for aether?
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Vote acrosstheaether

You say you want to be replaced. But you come here and vote for Elo. Are you playing the game or not? Make up your mind.

You have been the most suspicious player since the game started. I gave you a pass in day 1 because you provided mechanical reasons not to contribute, but it's day 2 and you keep playing like you don't care about the game at all.

For the record, I believe the Elo lynch is a good one, for reasons I gave in night 1. But I feel a lot better about lynching aether.
You know, I'm not sure what to think of it. My thoughts are somewhat similar to splints's... there's no doubt that aether's game is weird, though, and the fact that she dropped a vote on Elo while showing no interest in continuing the game IS weird. What do RYMers make of that particular action?

What I think about DDL's post/vote depends inevitably on Elo's alignment, but even then it's unclear. If she's bad, then maybe he was a teammte trying to direct attention elsewhere, but it's also possible he's being genuine. If she's civ, then maybe DDL is bad and covering himself knowing that Elo is civilian, but it's also possible that DDL is civilian and is being genuine here as well.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:On my phone. I may have less time tonight than anticipated. If anyone wants my take an a specific player i haven't covered yet or has any questions, lemme know now.
You commented that you and I came to similar conclusions about fingersplints. Is there more you could add to that? Where does she fit right now in your rainbow list?
When i said that, she was more neutral than i'd like. Along with TH, perhaps the hardest to read among players with a good amount of content.

Her responses to you are promising though. Trending townward. Will reassess when i get home.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 110

Post by Epignosis »

MovingPictures07 wrote:(Epi, I'm having a spinach salad). :P
I'm having brains. :zombie:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07 wrote:You know, I'm not sure what to think of it. My thoughts are somewhat similar to splints's... there's no doubt that aether's game is weird, though, and the fact that she dropped a vote on Elo while showing no interest in continuing the game IS weird. What do RYMers make of that particular action?
It's possible she decided to vote before deciding to quit (legitimately). I don't think her request to be replaced is relevant. Her other posts must be assessed at face value. I don't see much townie in her.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Roxy wrote: Hostile? Really? C'mon Sock! I am your original Ambassador so YOU know my mind is open. I just feel like the only reason some suspected me was bc I did not have a lot of posts to be wrong.

Ofc comparably my few posts when measured to you and Jimmy does not look like a whole lot but does that mean I am not trying? No.

Does it mean I should start making Iso's? No.

Does it mean I should make Rainbow lists? No.

But you guys insisting that everyone should post more and if you don't you are not really trying is disheartening for me bc I am doing the best I can when I can be here.I feel picked on as a low poster this game. And I do not care for that. Maybe its a bit emo for me but hey you know my rl so ofc I am a lot more emo than normal maybe I am taking things too literally I don't know.
I thought since this was a speed game it would be fluff but I was wrong.

Also flooding the thread is the same as overwhelming the thread. You say yourself you are posting more just to be Jimmy - for tbhose of us not in this competition I would ask you measure me by a different stick than you would with Jimmy.

Sorry again if I am alienating anyone with my poutyness of high/low poster talk. <3

Do not take it personally kk?
Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.

That's exactly why I thought your posts were reading strange, because I know how open-minded you actually are, and I wanted to show to you that, at least to me, you were coming across very anti-normal Rox, seemingly closed minded and sometimes potentially hostile.

I apologize that you feel picked on. That wasn't my intention and I'm sure it wasn't the intention of Jay or anyone else.

I know this game has been intense; in fact, as I noted earlier, it already has more posts than over half of our previous Side Missions. This is attributable to active RYMers playing, as well as DDL, and a lot of excitement surrounding the game, that's causing a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of activity. I didn't even expect quite this many more posts than normal (I wasn't sure what to expect exactly, though I knew post count would inevitably ramp up at least due to Jay) so I know that you and other normal TSers likely didn't expect it either. All the more reason that DDL, the RYMers (except aether), and I are occupying the higher portions of the post count, because RYM isn't even holding mafia until this Economics game is over, and obviously we have two other games going on as well as other cross-site relations.

And, in addition, I know your RL has been insanely hectic and stressful lately. So I feel bad that you feel picked on. Definitely not the intention.

In fact, I wasn't even really suspicious of you until Jay's ISO, and what changed my mind isn't really how little you've posted but the content of what you've posted, and even then you're a very slight read, so I think, at least for me, Jay and others can speak as well, it was an attempt to bring discussion of you to the table, after seeing some potential suspicion amid the content of your posts (since you have had content to say), not the quantity necessarily.

Rox, my comments to beat Jay and to beat TH's records were a joke. :P I didn't mean that seriously. I'm not trying to flood the thread for such a silly reason; you know me better. I'm posting a lot because I am REALLY REALLY excited about this game, in all respects: the players, getting to play DDL's first game on TS, Jay's first game on TS, as well as Sloonei, sanmateo, and aether's. The theme is also amazing and we have great hosts. And the TS lineup of players from the getgo is also amazing. In addition, I'm posting a lot because I genuinely believe in finding mafia (this of course gets into my alignment, but it's part of the reason). I didn't think I'd be posting near this much, especially with my insane schedule, but it worked out since the latter part of last week I was feeling burnt out and could rearrange my time, and my SAS class was winding to a close -- and I had kicked ass the prior week and a half (which is why I had to replace out of the games on NF and RYM).

I hope this clarifies what I'm thinking. Again, I appreciate your response, and I appreciate your content! Look forward to reading more of your thoughts. :)

Return to “Previous Side Missions”