Thomas the Tank Engine [Night 9]

Moderator: Community Team

What winter activity should the passengers take part in?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Ice skating
No votes
Tubing
No votes
Snowboarding
No votes
Skiing
14%
Sledding
29%
Moving the Island (Host, etc.)
57%

Total votes: 7
Snow Dog
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 210

Re: Thomas the Tank Engine [Day 0]

Post by Snow Dog »

^ Whoooo Whoooo :haha:
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
Nevinera
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 95

Post by Nevinera »

thellama73 wrote:
Snow Dog wrote:I guess we should discuss some possibilities. How about McViper. I am not getting a totally good feeling reading his posts.
Could just be new-player weirdness or you could be onto something.

Here's what I have so far(which isn't much): The only things that stood out to me on a quick reread is that Nevinera has only posted once, and he is usually a very chatty player, so that is atypical. Also, A Person has only posted one word, "blue," which prevents us from getting any kind of read on him whatsoever. These are the two I've got my eye on right now, but as always on day one, it's very, very thin.
birdwithteeth11 wrote:I agree with llama about Nev. I find it odd that someone who is normally very talkative is suddenly so quiet.

The answer is simple - I have a computer job, and when I'm at the office I'm very chatty, because I can check into the thread every 20 minutes. Right now I'm nearing the end of a long and busy weekend (today is a holiday in the US), and I will become Chats McChatterson again on the morrow (though I'm out of town from Friday through Sunday next weekend, so I'll be even less around).

Also, I've been lynched within two days in all three games I've played in, essentially for talking too much at the start. That rather has taken away my interest in filling up the the thread with my thoughts on day 1.

But if you'd like to go ahead and lynch me first, it's ok. At least I can keep my streak going!

I've noticed a few things about the setup that I'd love to share, but if I point them out I'll almost certainly be scrapped tonight.
But everyone.. think about how the Narrows are going to play out, from various points of view.
And be careful, the early game is more important than usual here.
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

Please share Nev
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
McViper
Posts in topic: 97

Post by McViper »

Nev...Nev...never say "Never"
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 53

Post by thellama73 »

McViper wrote:Nev...Nev...never say "Never"
What made you vote for Bullzeye?
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 45

Post by DharmaHelper »

Voted Boogs because I think the post pointed out by SVS is suspect.
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

DharmaHelper wrote:Voted Boogs because I think the post pointed out by SVS is suspect.
Yeah, I guess I'll vote for him too. He says he trusts me. That's not like Boogs. Why would he trust me unless he was on the bad team and KNEW I was civ? I also thought Nev's explanation sounded reasonable.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

thellama73 wrote:
DharmaHelper wrote:Voted Boogs because I think the post pointed out by SVS is suspect.
Yeah, I guess I'll vote for him too. He says he trusts me. That's not like Boogs. Why would he trust me unless he was on the bad team and KNEW I was civ? I also thought Nev's explanation sounded reasonable.
Boogs seems a reasonable vote at this stage. I'll hold back for a little while though.
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
Lizzy
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 57

Post by Lizzy »

While it is a tad too early in the game to make assumptions, I do find it odd that some people are rushing to point fingers or ask questions that as far as I'm concerned, cannot provide clear and satisfactory answers at this stage. It's almost as if some are trying a bit too hard to create distractions and draw our attention towards other players. Naturally, I may be mistaken, but by the looks of it, we're basically voting at random for now.
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

Lizzy wrote:While it is a tad too early in the game to make assumptions, I do find it odd that some people are rushing to point fingers or ask questions that as far as I'm concerned, cannot provide clear and satisfactory answers at this stage. It's almost as if some are trying a bit too hard to create distractions and draw our attention towards other players. Naturally, I may be mistaken, but by the looks of it, we're basically voting at random for now.
Welcome to mafia.
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

ebwop... BUt it isn't exactly random. Some of us are trrying to find reasons. What would you have us do?
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
Lizzy
Drug Dealer

Post by Lizzy »

And here I was thinking that people would have learnt by now. How naive... :P
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

Lizzy wrote:And here I was thinking that people would have learnt by now. How naive... :P
I don't understand what you mean, Lizzy.
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
Lizzy
Drug Dealer

Post by Lizzy »

I suppose the half jurist in me tells me to be cautious when pointing fingers. Like I said, at this stage of the investigation, we know close to zilch. Soooo... everyone's innocent until proven guilty. Till then, for me it's either random or following an already existing or developing trend.
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

Lizzy wrote:I suppose the half jurist in me tells me to be cautious when pointing fingers. Like I said, at this stage of the investigation, we know close to zilch. Soooo... everyone's innocent until proven guilty. Till then, for me it's either random or following an already existing or developing trend.
Caution is fine but the deed has to be done and random voting tells us nothing of reasons for a vote.
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
Lizzy
Drug Dealer

Post by Lizzy »

Snow Dog wrote:
Lizzy wrote:I suppose the half jurist in me tells me to be cautious when pointing fingers. Like I said, at this stage of the investigation, we know close to zilch. Soooo... everyone's innocent until proven guilty. Till then, for me it's either random or following an already existing or developing trend.
Caution is fine but the deed has to be done and random voting tells us nothing of reasons for a vote.
And that is what I am trying to point out. At this stage, there is no tangible reasoning for casting a vote, at least as far as I'm concerned. Except maybe for people who talk too much, like I'm doing now. Dang! :P
Russtifinko
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 12
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Russtifinko »

I almost forgot-speed game means 1-day decisions!
Boogs wrote:On that subject, Rust any info with you being our only Brown paint voter?
I didn't get any info or advantage from voting Brown that I can see so far. Unfortunately.

Thanks for also posting the poll results, Epi. That'll be really helpful for me.

I'm also curious to hear about Nev's ideas, and about why Boogs mentioned Civ (as S~V~S pointed out). I think I won't be voting a newbie today in observance of good form. I can't promise a grace period any longer than that though, just because of the sheer number of new players in this game.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

Linki: Interesting discussion, Snowie and Lizzy. I actually think that, in Mafia, innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply. If anything, I'd say the opposite is closer to being true.

And Lizz, as a continuous campaigner against random voting, I can say that the reason I dislike it has nothing to do with the Day 1 vote itself. Almost all Day 1 reasons are very weak, like you said. However, having a weak ping requires accountability in that the person voting is supposed to explain themselves in the thread. Their statements from Day 1 may be illuminating when examining behavior later in the game, especially if a baddie has been caught and we're looking for teammates. A random vote comes with no such explanation and thus can't be used as evidence (either of goodness or badness) later on.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 24

Post by S~V~S »

Lizzy wrote:While it is a tad too early in the game to make assumptions, I do find it odd that some people are rushing to point fingers or ask questions that as far as I'm concerned, cannot provide clear and satisfactory answers at this stage. It's almost as if some are trying a bit too hard to create distractions and draw our attention towards other players.
Thats the point of the game. On Day One, we very often lynch an innocent, mainly becasue people discount minor pings, or other people attack them for voting on minor pings, while yet other people attack for voting WITHOUT even a minor reason.

Sometimes it seems you can't win

Really good points, though :)

i plan to vote close to the end, as I want to make good on my promise. I also like to hear the new players do most of the day one chatter, as it is easier to see who has BTS help based on their posts.

If no one who is not on the new player list votes for one of those people, I will vote for Boogs. I think he made a slip, and I am not sure how that post could be an innocent error, not the way it is worded.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Re: Thomas the Tank Engine [Day 1]

Post by Russtifinko »

I need to go to bed....

Voting Nevinera. The hinting at info or grand theories but then leaving before explaining is a pretty thin ploy to avoid being decommissioned, if you ask me. Similar to cliffhangers in paperbacks. It doesn't necessarily mean Nev is bad; goodies and baddies both want to avoid decommisioning. But, well, it's Day 1, as I believe someone mentioned, and I have to vote for someone.

Linki with S~V~S: good point that the way the new players talk could give hints about whether they have BTSC. That'll be something worth watching as we move on. I'll also have a close eye on Boogs, though I'm not ready to vote him just yet.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

No, this is not the American Legal System; Mafia is more like the Gallic System; guilty until proven innocent. Good Mafia players are skilled liars and manipulators. And people DO hang themselves in the thread, even on Day One.

And following a developing trend has a name, its called "jumping on a bandwagon" if the only reason you do it is becasue others are doing it. And that is something baddies do, so I would advise against it. Follow your own heart/eyes, even if the thing that makes you go "Hmmm" is a fairly insignificant thing.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

EBWOP, or the British System, fwiw
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

Sound advice S V S

linki..The UK system is innocent till proven guilty
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
Boogs
Drug Dealer

Post by Boogs »

I typed Civ as a typo rushing on my break. I meant to use a different phrase SVs but take it as you will. I'm not bad and if my typo makes you lynch me, you've started out losing a good Train already.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Snow, when I added the British system, it was in addition to the American one, the American system is based on yours, and i realized it sounded funny, so I EBWOPed.

And Boogs, what word were you trying to type that you made a typo that came out "civ"?
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 36

Post by A Person »

Since people mentioned it, I posted a one word response yesterday because I wanted to get voting done quickly and had no idea what the colors meant, so I chose the first one.
Since I have no real idea so far but have to vote, I'll probably use a random number generator.
Lizzy
Drug Dealer

Post by Lizzy »

Fine fine! Although, where I come from the benefit of the doubt is a ruling principle, I'll try to adapt to this unwritten constructivist Mafia approach. :P I still can't find a decent reason to vote for one person or another, though. Not on Day 1. ;__;
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Lizzy wrote:Fine fine! Although, where I come from the benefit of the doubt is a ruling principle, I'll try to adapt to this unwritten constructivist Mafia approach. :P I still can't find a decent reason to vote for one person or another, though. Not on Day 1. ;__;
Your desire to be cautious is admirable, but we have to vote for someone and I have always maintained that it's better to vote with some reason than with no reason. I'm not sure what you are suggesting we do, since you complained both about finger pointing and about randomizing.

Also,

Boogs, I know you have had a tough beginning in many recent games and if you are lynched today, I am really sorry. I had to vote for someone though, and slip or no slip you gave me a better reason than anyone else.

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Only 15 or so to vote, and a lot of votes missing :(

I will wait a few minutes more, then vote for Boogs. That felt like a chatroom slip, and i think if he was a civ, he would have fought it more. I have seen a lot of civ Boogs recently, and I dont think I saw that guy today.
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 95

Post by Hedgeowl »

After reading through everyone's posts, I've decided to vote for DisgruntledPorcupine, based on a lack of meaningful discussion. Yes, I realize this applies to more than one person, but i have to pick someone.
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

OK, several people are lurking, I can still wait until the last minute, I hope they vote :)
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

Voted A Person.

I'm giving Boogs and Nev the benefit of doubt.
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Nice way to spread the vote even further~ the baddies can swoop in and lynch a civ with just one vote with such a spread, especially if the lurkers dont vote :(
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I voted for Boogs
Lizzy
Drug Dealer

Post by Lizzy »

I suck at this! :P So until I gain more experience, on this very first day I shall vote at random. After this, I'll stop whining (I think). That being said, sorries, Davidwithteeth. :( Big hug!

And off to bed! Take care lads and lasses! :)
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 75

Post by Epignosis »

Eleven people out of nineteen voted? :evileye:

Results coming up.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Lizzy
Drug Dealer

Post by Lizzy »

Oi! I didn't get the chance to vote. :O
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 36

Post by A Person »

i went to vote but it didn't load, so I refreshed and now i don't have the option to vote, but it looks as if i voted already despite my vote not appearing :S
Lizzy
Drug Dealer

Post by Lizzy »

So I suppose it's less not very constructive talking, more voting for me next time. :P Alas! I guess I'll stay up a bit longer till we get the results.
Elohcin
Hitman
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Elohcin »

Boogs has been decommissioned. He was Peter Sam.

It is now Night 1. You have 24 hours to send in your PMs.
Banners are cool, but a pain to scroll through so...
I've won a lot of games. I've hosted some games. The end.
Elohcin
Hitman
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Elohcin »

Night 1

After visiting the Island of Sodor, Farmer Widmore has decided to move his family and his farm there.

“The island is so beautiful, Penny,” Farmer Widmore tells his daughter. “The animals are sure to love it and you will too. There are all sorts of trains there.”

Mr. Widmore needs help bringing his farm animals from the docks to their new home on the island. Which will you carry?
Banners are cool, but a pain to scroll through so...
I've won a lot of games. I've hosted some games. The end.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Re: Thomas the Tank Engine [POLLS]

Post by Epignosis »

Who bumped the shelf of paint and is responsible for the terrible mess?

Poll ended at Mon May 27, 2013 6:42 pm

A Person
Snow Dog (14)
7%

Andrew
No votes

birdwithteeth11
No votes

Boogs
DharmaHelper (10), thellama73 (11), S~V~S (15)
20%

Bullzeye
McViper (9)
7%

DharmaHelper
Bullzeye (8)
7%

DisgruntledPorcupine
Hedgeowl (13)
7%

Lizzy
No votes

Hedgeowl
No votes

Krissy
Simon (4)
7%

McViper
No votes

Mongoose
No votes

Nevinera
Boogs (7), Russtifinko (12)
13%

reywaS
No votes

Russtifinko
No votes

S~V~S
No votes

Simon
No votes

Snow Dog
No votes

thellama73
Andrew (6)
7%

The Others (Host, etc.)
Epignosis (1), Elohcin (2), MovingPictures07 (3), Kate (5)
Epignosis
Skeletor

Re: Thomas the Tank Engine [Night 1]

Post by Epignosis »

Off you go little engines!
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Well that's depressing. I was really hopeful that we would get a baddie early on. RIP Boogs.

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Sorry Boogs :(
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

And i like goats, and they are not all that big.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Goats! Goats forever! How else will we rid ourselves of our tin can surplus and supply the nation with affordable cheese and milk?

DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 45

Post by DharmaHelper »

I went with goat, in order to pay homage to the noble Spacegoat.
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Lizzy
Drug Dealer

Post by Lizzy »

Poor Boogy! :( We'll get them next time.
Lizzy
Drug Dealer

Post by Lizzy »

I friggin' love horsies! ^__^ And off to bed for real!
Cheerio!

Return to “Previous Side Missions”