Matt
No votes
MovingPictures07
No votes
S~V~S
No votes
Typhoony
No votes
Billy Dee Williams (The Host, the Non, the Dead)
42%

Total votes: 19
Typhoony
I'm an Economist
Posts in topic: 220

Re: Arkham Mafia [Night 2]

Post by Typhoony »

Why is that lolworthy?
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 454
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Typhoony wrote:Why is that lolworthy?
Because I personally think I'm evidently playing my town meta, but I can't keep up and because of the quotes DH and Mac pulled regarding my thoughts on Nero, I'm pretty much sunk. It doesn't matter what I'll say or how much I say it, enough of you won't ever believe me. I can tell now, and too many of you are playing too closed-mindedly (Dom is the best example, I love you man, but you can't read me for shit and you can't ever go a game we play together without thinking I'm bad). I've played enough games to know when I'm lynchbait, so even if I'm lucky enough to last a few cycles, eventually you all will lynch me, and then... nothingness.

It's cool, I don't deserve to win this game anyway, and I'd like to die since that'd take the burden of this game off my shoulders, but I still want to fight it with every fiber of my being because you'll all be wasting your time and it'll hurt the civilians.

It's all especially hilarious because I'm always the proponent of "civilians should never stop defending themselves!" and I get frustrated when townies give up, but I'm just way too cynical this game. I've seen enough to know that most of you are lynching by going through the motions, and that's partially because there are a ton of independents, as well as because there's too much content to sift through to make any informed decision.

So, yeah, it's pretty funny, especially because I've become everything in this game that supertown MP would get frustrated at. But I'm not supertown MP anymore. I just don't have the time or energy. So, by all means, waste your time. :beer:
Enrique
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 701

Post by Enrique »

Who would you lynch?
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Enrique wrote:Who would you lynch?
:ponder:

Not sure, that would require some ISO analysis that Mac seems up to doing (cheers for that, by the way, someone should be doing it and I'm glad someone has the time and motivation) for me to have an informed opinion. Off the top of my head though and based on my rather uninformed opinion, I'd say Mac had some good observations on zebra, so that's a possibility, but I personally feel more confident in either an early Matt voter or someone who bussed Nero.

Turnip Head says bussing doesn't happen as often as people think; I don't necessarily agree with that statement. There were 13 players that voted for Nero. Surely at least one teammate can be found in there, especially since Nero was sunk much earlier than that 13th vote.

If I had to guess, I'd say one of his teammates tried to save him or threw off, and the other one probably piled on after he received a few votes. There was potential for Nero to be saved for a little while there, but it didn't last long enough into the day phase for one of his teammates NOT to bus him.

The only way I'd believe neither of his teammates voted for him is if they both voted early.
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

@Hosts: Does Mr. Freeze need to be alive to win?
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Based on the momentum of the thread, I don't think someone who wanted to save Nero was going to vote for sig. I think Matt was a much more likely scapegoat, at least until you changed your mind, Enrique. That might have got Nero's teammates panicking, so I'd say they'd be more likely to bus after you did a 180 and kept harping on it.

It's hard to speculate though; it depends on the person. Looking at interactions between Nero and every player would be more illuminating, I think.
Typhoony
I'm an Economist

Post by Typhoony »

If you consider the game to be a burden you should probably ask for a replacement.
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

One last thought for now, since I really need to go (ignoring PhD work in the morning is a bad idea for me, since I'm a morning person): I have no clue what to make of sabie's vote for Matt. The timing is all wonky, but Nero could have theoretically but very realistically unlikely been saved at that point. If she wasn't paying much attention to the tone and content of the thread, maybe she thought she could still save him... but my gut leans toward uninformed and rusty civilian who made a sketchy-looking vote.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Typhoony wrote:If you consider the game to be a burden you should probably ask for a replacement.
For your information, I have asked for a replacement. I even said something much earlier in the game about the Hosts don't even have any more.

So I don't appreciate the attitude I'm getting from certain players.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

The Hosts pretty much implied that it's unlikely I'll be replaced at this point and that I should stick it out. So what am I to do, now, that I've made actions that are seemingly suspicious, don't have adequate time to keep playing even at the level I played this past weekend, and people are being closed-minded?
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 336
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Yippee! We caught a mafia. Good work Matt. Nero, you are a delightful individual and I hope you will play with us some more. Don't let this discourage you.

Thanks to the hosts for cutting some hours out of the night to get us back to a more reasonable hour for the posts!

linki MP, how are people being closed minded?
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 154
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

@MP I did a quick check on the votes from day 2 and if you really wanted to look at people I would say from Nero's lynch everyone between SVS and Sorsha, and from Blackrock to sprityo.

And then basically the middle three votes on Matt, which I'm too lazy to check now. I split the votes up like that since between those two player lists on Nero, is when Sabie voted.

If you wanted to test out a theory or something, like the uh, "people started bussing lunar after a clear winner was decided" then I would look more critically at the second group, that is not to say you may have one baddie in the first one, but I digress

Secondly, when you said you didn't really know why Sabie voted for Matt still so late into it. I mean I guess it was more following what they already had, and (hypothetically here) hoping for people to fall onto Matt,but I guess at that time the actual I n game talk had moved past it and it just all piled on after that.

Just assumptions and thoughts to consider here. Now I've gotta get ready for the senior panorama
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Typhoony
I'm an Economist

Post by Typhoony »

MovingPictures07 wrote:The Hosts pretty much implied that it's unlikely I'll be replaced at this point and that I should stick it out. So what am I to do, now, that I've made actions that are seemingly suspicious, don't have adequate time to keep playing even at the level I played this past weekend, and people are being closed-minded?
Probably take a break from the game for now, because I can see you are clearly frustrated.
Focus on real-life for a bit, try not to worry about the amount of posting that is being done, and drop in whenever you have free time to comment on something you deem worthy.
ImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 592
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Turnip Head says bussing doesn't happen as often as people think; I don't necessarily agree with that statement. There were 13 players that voted for Nero. Surely at least one teammate can be found in there, especially since Nero was sunk much earlier than that 13th vote.
I'm talking about bussing in the more aggressive sense like what Matt is accusing Enrique of. It's certainly possible a teammate voted for Nero without actually contributing to his lynch, but I don't consider that "bussing".
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

In fact MP you're like one of three players I can think of who is truly down to aggressively bus their teammates (or be bussed themselves), and two of them are hosting XD

But I don't think you did it FWIW. Keep your chin up. Why do we fall, MP?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

juliets wrote:Yippee! We caught a mafia. Good work Matt. Nero, you are a delightful individual and I hope you will play with us some more. Don't let this discourage you.

Thanks to the hosts for cutting some hours out of the night to get us back to a more reasonable hour for the posts!

People are inevitably being closed-minded this game for multiple reasons: (1) due to the setup, in which roughly half of the players have potentially no reason to conventionally baddie hunt; (2) due to the ridiculously high volume of posting, with the actual content of which mostly comprising strenuous back and forths; and (3) players who do not have adequate time to do anything more than intently read and analyze the thread will inevitably make uninformed decisions, and in a game of this magnitude, thus will never be able to properly consider even half of the living players with proper weight of suspicion.

Regarding (1), this is the most straight-forward one, and discussions have ensued about this already. I won't dwell into it, but this is far from your conventional mafia game setup.

Regarding (2), this is the absolute first time I've ever felt this way, but not only is this volume of content impossible for me personally to even skim, let alone read, let alone properly analyze, but the bulk of the content is driven by intense back and forth arguments, some of which were inevitably resolved due to them being entirely a result of misunderstanding or not being on the same page. It makes for very difficult analysis of getting reads on players other than the ones that are consistently in the hotseat, and even then, it can be difficult to get a read on those in the hotseat because most players aren't actually engaging each other in conversation. It's like two politicians yammering back and forth, then switching to a grouping of two others. Then people comment throughout, mostly commenting on what the politicians are talking about, instead of trying to generate new game-related content. But it's sort of a Catch 22 because it's nearly impossible to generate informed game-related content if more than half of the game's players aren't relatively informed because there's too much yammering back and forth. I am always for more content, but I've personally found the vast majority of content in this game to be lacking the attitude or the open-mindedness that is required to solve the game.

Regarding (3), one that does not have sufficient time cannot properly examine 29 other players, especially in this game due to (2). That means that certain players will be subjected to the microscope more than other players; it's often an inevitable side effect of games this large, as opposed to Heists where it's very difficult to stay out of the spotlight if the town is actively playing the game. Conversely, it also means that town cannot properly evaluate everyone without pouring ridiculous amounts of effort into trying to spend equal time analyzing every player and it just cannot happen for most people playing this game. Therefore, take Dom for example, he can't stop mentioning my name. Ever since I made one post way back on Day 0 (was it? or was it technically Day 1 by that point?) with my first gut read of the game: him. I added a joke after it saying I can't read him so that it means everyone should lynch him instead. It was a joke. Since then, he pressed me and asked the thread multiple times to talk about how I was "setting him up" or "hedging". He won't even listen to my explanations because he's already made up his mind that I was hedging, even though it's absurd that anyone would later use "I'm never wrong about so and so" clearly stated in joke format as a reason to legitimately change one's mind about that player. Dom is far from the only player who is unwilling to actually listen to the player they are suspecting. Hell, even I did it with sig; I got too caught up in the moment and wasn't giving him the chance. Townies should always stay skeptical, yes, but they need to try to actually connect with and understand where the person they're suspecting is coming from, and should always be open to changing their mind. I consistently get the impression that the majority of players in this game aren't willing to do that. That's fine. It's not easy to do, especially when the game's setup has so many potentially anti-town roles in it.

But that's why I feel this way.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

And I know, instead of getting down about it and frustrated and accepting my lynch, I should come in here all JJJ-cheerleader mode and try to get everyone talking. I just haven't had the energy, and it's so demotivating to know I haven't even read half the thread, and then it's even more demotivating when people get on you for that fact. Trust me, I love playing mafia; if I had the time, I would read the thread. It's not like I'm even spending my free time on much of anything else.
sig
bolt sbit mpo
Posts in topic: 261

Post by sig »

Just popping in to vote and all that good stuff I'll be going to Arkham Asylum.

I like Macs case on Zebra and I'd also like to point out how much more Zebra tried to stop people from lynching nero over me, and pushed my lynch over Nero. I didn't think much of this when I thought Nero would flip third party, however seeing that he flipped mafia I think this looks bad for Zebra.

People where asking about two new players on a team, keep in mind if one of the new players got recruited as a cop that could happen. So if there is a second newbie on the team I'd say they are a flipped cop. This wouldn't be the case right know since tonight the other cop will get recruited, which is something to be on the lookout for.

linki: Don't worry MP since you aren't planning to lynch me I don't think your mafia :hug:

Though on a serious note right know I'd rather lynch Zebra then MP I see a bigger connection there and I trust Golden who still thinks MP is townie so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Typhoony wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:The Hosts pretty much implied that it's unlikely I'll be replaced at this point and that I should stick it out. So what am I to do, now, that I've made actions that are seemingly suspicious, don't have adequate time to keep playing even at the level I played this past weekend, and people are being closed-minded?
Probably take a break from the game for now, because I can see you are clearly frustrated.
Focus on real-life for a bit, try not to worry about the amount of posting that is being done, and drop in whenever you have free time to comment on something you deem worthy.
You're entirely right, and I appreciate your commentary and advice. I really do. It'd be easy for you to continue to suspect me for my attitude; I realize I haven't been exactly giddy about the game. I've been trying my best to get into it, but it's been an absolute slog, and I still haven't even remotely found my footing. It's frustrating because these days I usually feel at least remotely comfortable with a game once I've made it through Day 1 at the earliest.

I'll have to do just that. I'll see what I can do, for sure. It'd just be much easier for me to throw my hands and give up at this point, because I feel like there's no amount of time I can reasonably spend to stop my own death.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I apologize to the hosts and to everyone if my content or tone at any point in this game has frustrated any of you. I've just been battling staying current with this sheer amount of content, which normally I'd be insanely giddy about. It's definitely better than no one playing the game, so I applaud those of you that have really gotten your heads into this one. I just haven't managed that quite yet, but I hate to be a downer, so -- again, if I have been one, that makes me feel terrible and I want to apologize for it.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Turnip Head wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Turnip Head says bussing doesn't happen as often as people think; I don't necessarily agree with that statement. There were 13 players that voted for Nero. Surely at least one teammate can be found in there, especially since Nero was sunk much earlier than that 13th vote.
I'm talking about bussing in the more aggressive sense like what Matt is accusing Enrique of. It's certainly possible a teammate voted for Nero without actually contributing to his lynch, but I don't consider that "bussing".
Oh, I see what you mean; I thought you just meant a vote for Nero = bus. Your definition actually makes more sense.

Yeah, you could be right. It's probably more likely that a teammate voted for him without the conviction of content in the thread, I would say.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Turnip Head wrote:In fact MP you're like one of three players I can think of who is truly down to aggressively bus their teammates (or be bussed themselves), and two of them are hosting XD

You bet, which is exactly why I would have never voted for sig that early whilst simultaneously putting a teammate (Nero) at the bottom of my list. But you know, WIFOM, and that's why this is funny. :haha:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

sig wrote:Just popping in to vote and all that good stuff I'll be going to Arkham Asylum.

I like Macs case on Zebra and I'd also like to point out how much more Zebra tried to stop people from lynching nero over me, and pushed my lynch over Nero. I didn't think much of this when I thought Nero would flip third party, however seeing that he flipped mafia I think this looks bad for Zebra.

People where asking about two new players on a team, keep in mind if one of the new players got recruited as a cop that could happen. So if there is a second newbie on the team I'd say they are a flipped cop. This wouldn't be the case right know since tonight the other cop will get recruited, which is something to be on the lookout for.

linki: Don't worry MP since you aren't planning to lynch me I don't think your mafia :hug:

Though on a serious note right know I'd rather lynch Zebra then MP I see a bigger connection there and I trust Golden who still thinks MP is townie so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Who said I wasn't planning to lynch you? :feb: Lol.

Anyway, I really ought to go, so idk when I'll be back, maybe tomorrow evening if not sooner. I'll try to contribute whatever I can, but I just feel so out of my element I feel like I really have practically nothing of value to contribute.

At least I finally understand now how other people feel when I've spammed the thread game after game with useless content. :p
Nerolunar
The Mark
Posts in topic: 70

Post by Nerolunar »

Death by Clayface, my least favorite Batman villain. Hopefully I get a chance to shower in the Lazarus Pit.

I intend to play more games on this site. You´re all a lovely bunch :hugs:
ImageImage

Regardless, I think Nero should be lynched on grounds that he's my partner, your partner, Enrique's partner, the Joker, the Riddler, the Gingerbread Man, and Toto.
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 219
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Golden wrote:Also, a commendation of Mac for the effort he is putting in to trying to find teammates.
Your words of encouragement this night period have me on edge. :eek:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Turnip Head wrote:In fact MP you're like one of three players I can think of who is truly down to aggressively bus their teammates (or be bussed themselves), and two of them are hosting XD

You think Epignosis would be down to aggressively bus a teammate? :confused:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Black Rock
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 69

Re: Arkham Mafia [Day 2]

Post by Black Rock »

Dom wrote:
Black Rock wrote:I would have liked to vote for Dom, as he sounds like baddie Dom to me, but I guess I'll vote for Nero. If you're right Enrique, then I will help keep him alive. I do not think he's bad.
BR, I am having a really hard time wrapping my head around this post. You will help keep who alive? Who don't you think is bad?

Matt. Sorry I went to bed before this post
ImageImage
Black Rock
Loan Shark

Post by Black Rock »

Wow good result, I don't know how Matt and Enrique made this so but good job. I personally had no feelings one way or the other about Nero, I just didn't think Matt was bad. I'm also not convinced he's super civ.
ImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:

He's done it before
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Turnip Head wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:

He's done it before
True. But as he will be the first to tell you, that is the only time he's ever done such a thing.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Matt
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 531

Post by Matt »

Enrique wrote:
Typhoony wrote:Enrique, cliffnotes, now. Thanks.
I don't remember where you left off, but the current thing is basically

Matt got Joker cursed and made no sense so I thought he was confirmed bad pretty much and drove his lynch train really hard.
Matt formed a conspiracy theory that I was Nero's teammate based on me wanting to lynch M and not N (he previously thought N was the Riddler and I was just supposed to buy it I guess).
I realized Matt's role and turned back completely, encouraging a Nero or sig lynch.
sabie didn't care and voted Matt anyway for reasons. Nearly everyone else voted Nero out of faith in Matt.
Nero got lynched and turned out Mafia.
We're trying to find his teammates now.
No. No. No.

No no no no no no no no.

I did not get Joker cursed. And I am not Batman.

Think about this, DH has already told us that Epig moves around players in certain roles. Do we really think if I rolled the Batman card, Epi would keep me in that spot??? :faint:

I am not Batman, and I did not get cursed by the Joker. :sigh:
Image Image Image Image
Black Rock
Loan Shark

Post by Black Rock »

I agree Epig would rather save his team then throw them to the wolves. As a teammate he actively tries to give you advice to survive. He's more loyal team first kinda guy. I enjoy being on his team.
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Matt wrote:
Enrique wrote:

Matt got Joker cursed and made no sense so I thought he was confirmed bad pretty much and drove his lynch train really hard.
Matt formed a conspiracy theory that I was Nero's teammate based on me wanting to lynch M and not N (he previously thought N was the Riddler and I was just supposed to buy it I guess).
I realized Matt's role and turned back completely, encouraging a Nero or sig lynch.
sabie didn't care and voted Matt anyway for reasons. Nearly everyone else voted Nero out of faith in Matt.
No. No. No.

No no no no no no no no.

Think about this, DH has already told us that Epig moves around players in certain roles. Do we really think if I rolled the Batman card, Epi would keep me in that spot??? :faint:

I hear that some people call you the Space Cowboy. :shifty:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:

He's done it before
True. But as he will be the first to tell you, that is the only time he's ever done such a thing.
Sure... but why are we talking about this :P
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Turnip Head wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:

He's done it before
Sure... but why are we talking about this :P
I don't know anymore. :P

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Bullzeye
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 279

Post by Bullzeye »

Matt wrote:

I'd totally let you be Batman. Why do you think Epi wouldn't? But okay sure you're totes not B-Man, in fact I bet you and Enrique are Nero's teammates and this is the wackiest gambit in all of history. Actually I hope that's the case because you'd definitely deserve to win after that performance.

Seriously though, what do you think did happen to you? If the Joker didn't hit you, someone did. I like the suggestion (can't remember who said it first) that maybe the Joker's secrets include an insanify power to mess things up a bit.
Matt
Racketeer

Post by Matt »

Bullzeye wrote:
Matt wrote:

I'd totally let you be Batman. Why do you think Epi wouldn't? But okay sure you're totes not B-Man, in fact I bet you and Enrique are Nero's teammates and this is the wackiest gambit in all of history. Actually I hope that's the case because you'd definitely deserve to win after that performance.

Seriously though, what do you think did happen to you? If the Joker didn't hit you, someone did. I like the suggestion (can't remember who said it first) that maybe the Joker's secrets include an insanify power to mess things up a bit.
I don't think Epi has anything against me or anything, but I believe he would want someone who wasn't as tinfoily as me to be Batman, tbh. I also remember reading some "Don's Hideout" threads the other day, and there's one thread in which Epi is talking about posters who get lynched early and often, including me in that list, so why would he allow me to be the Batman knowing I'm constantly getting lynched early? Just know, whatever, maybe he would let me be Batman, but I'm not, so please don't try to kill me Mafia for thinking I'm Batman. Also, again, if there is a protect role out there, please help. :ninja:

As for your other question, maybe you're right Bullz that's possible. Or I just felt like posting in knock knock form yesterday :shrug2:
Image Image Image Image
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

I never said you were Batman.
ImageImageImageImage
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

Also I swear if I'm getting played by a third party this game is the craziest thing I've ever seen :biggrin:
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 336
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

oops I forgot to say I voted Wayne Enterprises.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Enrique
Loan Shark

Post by Enrique »

Bullzeye wrote:
Matt wrote:

Classic quintuple bussing by teammate Bullz.
ImageImageImageImage
Matt
Racketeer

Post by Matt »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Matt wrote:
Enrique wrote:

No. No. No.

No no no no no no no no.

Hi Marmy! Who do you think we should lynch going into next phase?
Image Image Image Image
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 724

Post by DharmaHelper »

MovingPictures07 wrote:

Because I personally think I'm evidently playing my town meta
, but I can't keep up and because of the quotes DH and Mac pulled regarding my thoughts on Nero, I'm pretty much sunk. It doesn't matter what I'll say or how much I say it, enough of you won't ever believe me. I can tell now, and too many of you are playing too closed-mindedly (Dom is the best example, I love you man, but you can't read me for shit and you can't ever go a game we play together without thinking I'm bad). I've played enough games to know when I'm lynchbait, so even if I'm lucky enough to last a few cycles, eventually you all will lynch me, and then... nothingness.

It's cool, I don't deserve to win this game anyway, and I'd like to die since that'd take the burden of this game off my shoulders, but I still want to fight it with every fiber of my being because you'll all be wasting your time and it'll hurt the civilians.

It's all especially hilarious because I'm always the proponent of "civilians should never stop defending themselves!" and I get frustrated when townies give up, but I'm just way too cynical this game. I've seen enough to know that most of you are lynching by going through the motions, and that's partially because there are a ton of independents, as well as because there's too much content to sift through to make any informed decision.

So, yeah, it's pretty funny, especially because I've become everything in this game that supertown MP would get frustrated at. But I'm not supertown MP anymore. I just don't have the time or energy. So, by all means, waste your time. :beer:

"Town meta" and "town" are two different beasts. I personally think I set up some pretty east softballs to get you back into discussion, but if you're disinterested there you go. :shrug:
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 724

Post by DharmaHelper »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
juliets wrote:Yippee! We caught a mafia. Good work Matt. Nero, you are a delightful individual and I hope you will play with us some more. Don't let this discourage you.

People are inevitably being closed-minded this game for multiple reasons: (1) due to the setup, in which roughly half of the players have potentially no reason to conventionally baddie hunt; (2) due to the ridiculously high volume of posting, with the actual content of which mostly comprising strenuous back and forths; and (3) players who do not have adequate time to do anything more than intently read and analyze the thread will inevitably make uninformed decisions, and in a game of this magnitude, thus will never be able to properly consider even half of the living players with proper weight of suspicion.

Regarding (1), this is the most straight-forward one, and discussions have ensued about this already. I won't dwell into it, but this is far from your conventional mafia game setup.

Regarding (2), this is the absolute first time I've ever felt this way, but not only is this volume of content impossible for me personally to even skim, let alone read, let alone properly analyze, but the bulk of the content is driven by intense back and forth arguments, some of which were inevitably resolved due to them being entirely a result of misunderstanding or not being on the same page. It makes for very difficult analysis of getting reads on players other than the ones that are consistently in the hotseat, and even then, it can be difficult to get a read on those in the hotseat because most players aren't actually engaging each other in conversation. It's like two politicians yammering back and forth, then switching to a grouping of two others. Then people comment throughout, mostly commenting on what the politicians are talking about, instead of trying to generate new game-related content. But it's sort of a Catch 22 because it's nearly impossible to generate informed game-related content if more than half of the game's players aren't relatively informed because there's too much yammering back and forth. I am always for more content, but I've personally found the vast majority of content in this game to be lacking the attitude or the open-mindedness that is required to solve the game.

Regarding (3), one that does not have sufficient time cannot properly examine 29 other players, especially in this game due to (2). That means that certain players will be subjected to the microscope more than other players; it's often an inevitable side effect of games this large, as opposed to Heists where it's very difficult to stay out of the spotlight if the town is actively playing the game. Conversely, it also means that town cannot properly evaluate everyone without pouring ridiculous amounts of effort into trying to spend equal time analyzing every player and it just cannot happen for most people playing this game. Therefore, take Dom for example, he can't stop mentioning my name. Ever since I made one post way back on Day 0 (was it? or was it technically Day 1 by that point?) with my first gut read of the game: him. I added a joke after it saying I can't read him so that it means everyone should lynch him instead. It was a joke. Since then, he pressed me and asked the thread multiple times to talk about how I was "setting him up" or "hedging". He won't even listen to my explanations because he's already made up his mind that I was hedging, even though it's absurd that anyone would later use "I'm never wrong about so and so" clearly stated in joke format as a reason to legitimately change one's mind about that player. Dom is far from the only player who is unwilling to actually listen to the player they are suspecting. Hell, even I did it with sig; I got too caught up in the moment and wasn't giving him the chance. Townies should always stay skeptical, yes, but they need to try to actually connect with and understand where the person they're suspecting is coming from, and should always be open to changing their mind. I consistently get the impression that the majority of players in this game aren't willing to do that. That's fine. It's not easy to do, especially when the game's setup has so many potentially anti-town roles in it.

But that's why I feel this way.
Also I think your PHD writing conventions are dripping into your mafia post.
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Matt wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Matt wrote:
Enrique wrote:

No. No. No.

No no no no no no no no.

Hi Marmy! Who do you think we should lynch going into next phase?
At this moment, I would vote MP.

I don't like his claim to be playing his town meta. It sounds like he's got a good amount of awareness of what he is doing in the thread if he can make that claim.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

MP, how does your behaviour this game match your town meta? Also, why is this your defense to the accusations against you?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 150

Post by Epignosis »

Enrique wrote:@Hosts: Does Mr. Freeze have to be alive to win? (before he goes postal)
No.
Black Rock wrote: I enjoy being on his team.
:beer:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 513

Re: Arkham Mafia [Day 2]

Post by Dom »

Black Rock wrote:
Dom wrote:
Black Rock wrote:I would have liked to vote for Dom, as he sounds like baddie Dom to me, but I guess I'll vote for Nero. If you're right Enrique, then I will help keep him alive. I do not think he's bad.
BR, I am having a really hard time wrapping my head around this post. You will help keep who alive? Who don't you think is bad?

Matt. Sorry I went to bed before this post
It's okay.. I thought you were saying Nero and got really confused.
Black Rock wrote:I agree Epig would rather save his team then throw them to the wolves. As a teammate he actively tries to give you advice to survive. He's more loyal team first kinda guy. I enjoy being on his team.
I agree with this 100%, but I'm not sure why Epig's actions are relevant in a game where he is hosting.

Additionally, MP, I don't like your claim that you're playing your town meta. That pinged me. I'm not reading either town or your baddie persona that I associate you with (at least internally-- however wrong I may be). I am seeing something in between. Maybe you're not Nero's teammate (there is some evidence to point to that), but I'm not thinking you are civ.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 513

Post by Dom »

MP, what parts of your town meta do you think you've represented?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

/getting sucked back in and avoiding work because it's a Monday :slick:
DharmaHelper wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:

Because I personally think I'm evidently playing my town meta
, but I can't keep up and because of the quotes DH and Mac pulled regarding my thoughts on Nero, I'm pretty much sunk. It doesn't matter what I'll say or how much I say it, enough of you won't ever believe me. I can tell now, and too many of you are playing too closed-mindedly (Dom is the best example, I love you man, but you can't read me for shit and you can't ever go a game we play together without thinking I'm bad). I've played enough games to know when I'm lynchbait, so even if I'm lucky enough to last a few cycles, eventually you all will lynch me, and then... nothingness.

"Town meta" and "town" are two different beasts. I personally think I set up some pretty east softballs to get you back into discussion, but if you're disinterested there you go. :shrug:
That's a good point; I hadn't given too much thought to the distinction when I wrote that post.

Which softballs are you referring to? If you want me to answer something, I'd be more than happy to, to the best of my ability.

Return to “Previous Jobs”