Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 379
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Re: [Day 0] GY!BE Mafia

Post by Marmot »

Golden wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:Last! Well maybe. Who hasn't checked in.
There's still time for you to be the first to self-vote.
Be still my heart.

Banners and Stuff
Spoiler: show
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 162

Post by timmer »

LoRab wrote:
triceratopzeuhl wrote:Who hasn't checked in yet? A Person, Lorab, Ninjuukyuwhatever, anybody else? (sorry if you did and I just missed your post)
I did so check in!! I was the first to post!!!!! I just haven't had anything to add since then.

That said...and this is probably a stupid question (and I'll probably get flack for it, but whatever). But, uh, are we supposed to be doing anything? There's no poll, but is there any sort of day 0 exercise that I missed? Do we know how we get to day 1 (or night 1, depending on which comes first)?
Heh, I'm usually an anti-Day 0 player since yeah, it's often ton of chatter with no substance, but I've kind of enjoyed this one, so far! And while I've barely scratched the surface, I've really enjoyed what I've heard of the band so far, but I'd hate to try to define them... unique stuff.
My siggie.
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 103

Post by Ricochet »

triceratopzeuhl wrote:(what colour are questions to the host supposed to be? I can't remember any of the std mafia text colours)

ric, if Motherfucker = Redeemer role checks a baddie but fails the roll to kill them, will the rest of us know? Likewise if they role check a dead civ and fail the resurrect role
(Regular colour or any colour apart from the scheme of four. Maybe even underline the word Host or my name for extra signal.)

Events that fail to take place will not be announced.

Golden wrote:
I'm unclear - the host should only answer your question if he is a motherfucker?
:eek:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 522
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

LoRab wrote:
triceratopzeuhl wrote:Who hasn't checked in yet? A Person, Lorab, Ninjuukyuwhatever, anybody else? (sorry if you did and I just missed your post)
I did so check in!! I was the first to post!!!!! I just haven't had anything to add since then.

That said...and this is probably a stupid question (and I'll probably get flack for it, but whatever). But, uh, are we supposed to be doing anything? There's no poll, but is there any sort of day 0 exercise that I missed? Do we know how we get to day 1 (or night 1, depending on which comes first)?
Hunting for mafia fellow townies. That's what we're supposed to be doing. :srsnod:

But seriously, no Day 0 poll or anything, just check in time... I believe.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Boomslang wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Yo Boomslang, my gut says you're yucky. What is your response to that?
Two words: Tofu Boy.
:haha:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Scotty wrote:
Boomslang wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Yo Boomslang, my gut says you're yucky. What is your response to that?
Is that supposed to be directed at me?
No, Boomslang played my Super Meat Boy game and was assigned the role card Tofu Boy, who was a townie that normally won with his fellow townies, but if he ever received one vote, he became suicidal (a Jester type role) and could only win by getting himself lynched. :p

So Boomslang purposefully attracted attention to himself, immediately got the one vote, then after a few Days of just weird ass activity, he got unanimously lynched. :haha:
Boomslang
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 37

Post by Boomslang »

Scotty wrote:
Boomslang wrote:
Not at all. It's a reference to the Super Meat Boy game in which I was a civ with the win condition of getting lynched. It was the perfect role for me, because I seem to be one of the biggest shade magnets on this site. It's easy for MP to throw a gut baddie read at me on Day 0 because baddie reads always seem to stick on me :/

Linki: same
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Boomslang wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Boomslang wrote:
Not at all. It's a reference to the Super Meat Boy game in which I was a civ with the win condition of getting lynched. It was the perfect role for me, because I seem to be one of the biggest shade magnets on this site. It's easy for MP to throw a gut baddie read at me on Day 0 because baddie reads always seem to stick on me :/

Yeah, you are a pretty big shade magnet. Join the club, friend. :beer:

Metalmarsh and sig are here too. :p
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

To be fair though, I think I have a really solid track record of reading you. I correctly defended you in Monkey Island (ongoing, so I won't say more, but you flipped town) and other games where you were town. :srsnod:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I can't recall; was Tofu Boy your first win? Do you remember?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that you defended my gut dislike of you with suspicion magnet, but rest assured if you keep throwing out the content, I will fairly assess whether it makes you a town read or not. Inspire me, man.
Boomslang
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 37

Post by Boomslang »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I can't recall; was Tofu Boy your first win? Do you remember?
Indeed it was! Won as a baddie in WWE right after it, though.
MovingPictures07 wrote:I'm not sure what to make of the fact that you defended my gut dislike of you with suspicion magnet, but rest assured if you keep throwing out the content, I will fairly assess whether it makes you a town read or not. Inspire me, man.
I'm mostly just salty over Monkey Island. I have no idea where my lynch came from in that game (especially because it happened over Thanksgiving), and I'd like to avoid that happening again here.

In terms of reads, I like Golden's questioning of Jay about his stance on Day 0 content. Earlier J:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Sloonei wrote:Usually I'm all for tons of chatter out of the gate, but I'm too tired to read 140 posts right now, so you can all gonto hell.
You're probably not the only one that feels that way. I think we let our dialogue drag too long and I am going to chill out for the rest of Day 0. This is check-in time, not blow up the thread time.

That changes when the lynching starts. :dark:
Then Golden:
Golden wrote:I don't know that I buy a link between trying not to create too much content, and actually not creating much content within the posts you do make, Jay.

It's possible not to post a lot but make content. My hot takes post, eg.

And then J posts a couple of small but meaty little takes on Page 6. I find that timing responsive, not self-driven.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Boomslang wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:I can't recall; was Tofu Boy your first win? Do you remember?
Indeed it was! Won as a baddie in WWE right after it, though.
MovingPictures07 wrote:I'm not sure what to make of the fact that you defended my gut dislike of you with suspicion magnet, but rest assured if you keep throwing out the content, I will fairly assess whether it makes you a town read or not. Inspire me, man.
I'm mostly just salty over Monkey Island. I have no idea where my lynch came from in that game (especially because it happened over Thanksgiving), and I'd like to avoid that happening again here.

In terms of reads, I like Golden's questioning of Jay about his stance on Day 0 content. Earlier J:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Sloonei wrote:Usually I'm all for tons of chatter out of the gate, but I'm too tired to read 140 posts right now, so you can all gonto hell.
You're probably not the only one that feels that way. I think we let our dialogue drag too long and I am going to chill out for the rest of Day 0. This is check-in time, not blow up the thread time.

That changes when the lynching starts. :dark:
Then Golden:
Golden wrote:I don't know that I buy a link between trying not to create too much content, and actually not creating much content within the posts you do make, Jay.

It's possible not to post a lot but make content. My hot takes post, eg.

And then J posts a couple of small but meaty little takes on Page 6. I find that timing responsive, not self-driven.
Yes, WWE! That was one hell of an epic team. :feb: And the first win on this site I was real proud of, since I had a huge win drought for a while there.

I had a similar initial perception which is why I previously inquired of Jay why he didn't mention the Scotty and Dom thoughts earlier, since his uptick in trying to find reads seemed reactionary.

However, I'm hesitant with this line of thinking, because I know from experience over the years I've been too often criticized for 'reactionary' read hunting when in reality I was town and there was no nefarious intent to me ramping up my hunting other than just that.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 589
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Boomslang wrote:And then J posts a couple of small but meaty little takes on Page 6. I find that timing responsive, not self-driven.
There's the crux of those kinds of assertions. Any provision of content which follows the assertion is inherently open to suggestions of convenience or appeasement. Oh well. I produce reads as they come to mind.

I would also assert that I began putting content in this game thread well before that. A few people now have either mentioned or implied (MP, Golden, and Boomslang perhaps among others) that I haven't given much to this game yet despite my post count. I would contest that. The major conversations to this point have been about the PoE and perhaps about me. Otherwise it has been a thread of check-ins and light-heartedness, which is fine for Day 0. Those more relevant matters though have been the sources of the content I have supplied, and they are the only real sources available.

I don't have a sprinkler of reads spewing from my spickets in response to strategic dialogue, but I stated the perspectives I had -- positive for MP and timmer and barely positive for INH. I have observed people's treatment of me and stated reads -- positive for Dom and negative for Scotty. I have a few more:

I think MP's questions for me have looked genuine. His continued pressing of the issues where he doesn't have a full grasp of my play is sensible and I think reflective of the Urgency At All Times town game he has developed in recent memory -- especially when dealing with me, since he and I more often see eye-to-eye than not.

Sloonei's initial work in suggesting I have been a waffler of sorts was a nice workload for Day 0. I do think though that his choices for highlighting left room for contextual problems (highlighting a word or two that only loosely apply to the stated premise of tentativeness). I also think the core expectation of confidence from anyone, JJJ or not, in a Day 0 lean is rather bunk. So Sloonei should answer for that.

Golden has made some isolated external commentary, but I can't say I'm certain of his own read on me. He's dabbled and poked; I'm wondering if there's a conclusion.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

My gut can finally jive with Jay. This man has earned a town read. I like that response.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

That said, I'm still missing some sort of emotion from you; you seem like you haven't fully engaged in the game quite yet... which, again, it is Day 0 so you're not the only one. But dammit Jay, go find your sense of urgency and join me here.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'd assert that Poke Jay with a Stick has been a recurring theme on this Day 0. This is not a complaint, but rather a suggestion that it provides an opportunity for reads-relevant discussion beyond and including me. I'd be interesting in hearing what others think of the people who have engaged me in some way -- MP, Scotty, Sloonei, Dom, Golden, Boomslang, etc.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

MovingPictures07 wrote:That said, I'm still missing some sort of emotion from you; you seem like you haven't fully engaged in the game quite yet... which, again, it is Day 0 so you're not the only one. But dammit Jay, go find your sense of urgency and join me here.
To elaborate on this, my brain has thought you've seemed town for the last 24 hours or so, but my gut was really struggling all game and even almost thinking you looked yucky. Now it's OK enough with you that I can push you up to town read, but it's shaky because my gut still is only barely convinced while my brain is all super-Spock-like in saying your contributions are town-like.

Based on my conversations with Golden, I suspect he and I may be having a similar problem with you so far. It's not something I can say I've had with you before; usually my brain is the one saying STOP DON'T TRUST JAY TOO MUCH and my gut is like duuuuuuuuuuude, Jay, we're like long lost TWINS MAN!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I'd assert that Poke Jay with a Stick has been a recurring theme on this Day 0. This is not a complaint, but rather a suggestion that it provides an opportunity for reads-relevant discussion beyond and including me. I'd be interesting in hearing what others think of the people who have engaged me in some way -- MP, Scotty, Sloonei, Dom, Golden, Boomslang, etc.
I'd agree with that assertion. I'll do some digging once we get to Day 1 since I do actually have things to do today, like try and form my dissertation committee. Nothing important. :p
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Might as well throw out one updated rainbow before I leave and Day 1 begins.

MP's Super Tentative Day 0 POE Rainbow - GY!BE Rainbow #2

birdwithteeth11
DrWilgy
insertnamehere
JaggedJimmyJay
timmer
triceratopzeuhl

A Person
Boomslang
Dom
Epignosis
Golden
LoRab
Metalmarsh89
nijuukyugou
Scotty
sig
Sloonei
Vompatti

Golden is the closest grey to becoming a green but I can't make that leap quite yet either for some reason.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I may have poisoned my own enthusiasm by lazying around as April Ludgate. It was so nice to take it easy for once. I won't say anything more about an ongoing game though.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I just had a most disagreeable visit with the bathroom scale. Time to go for a run immediately.

Godspeed You! Complacent Veteran

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 197

Post by birdwithteeth11 »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
Golden wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Hey Sloonei, talk to me about some things too when you get the chance! What's your strategy? :D
I've read about 1% of the thread so far. I've been either at work or asleep since this game started, but that's done now. I'll have things to say soonish.
There are 192 posts. You've written 10 of them. By my calculations, that means you haven't read 8 of your own posts so far.

I don't blame you though. I don't want to read my own posts either. I don't even know what I just typed.
I'm just hitting random keys and hoping I make sense.
sgfiangliadjg[pkw[r0fkaWPFOJANMLVJ.ANOQ;OJM:djmlsignadligtqejtgfmpiedvnedpf9j134139tgj
Go home. You're drunk. :P
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Sloonei, I would question whether confidence would make sense in the contexts you've referenced. I made assertions based upon my best understanding of the discussions and that was it. I can't derive a confident read on INH, for example, based upon the point for which MP requested feedback. I said as much. I can provide a tentative lean by meta but little else.

I think the meta you're assigning to me is better associated with a Zebra or a Mac. I may exhibit confidence eventually, but everything is tentative on Day 0. This one especially has been a large portion of strategic debate (I'll accept a share of the blame for that) and check-ins. The capacity for generating meaningful reads out of that is limited.
I could assert that it appears as though you aren't making sincere efforts to generate content. What would you say in response to that accusation?
I would say I'm actively trying *not* to generate content. I've said before that blowing the thread up on Day 0 deters too many people from keeping up with the game. I've actually posted more than I would have liked already by instinct.

Day 1 is a time for making things happen.
For what it's worth, I actually prefer to have more "blown up" threads on Day 0 since I think it gives a better future baseline down the road. I've had games where I've been on time crunches before and having to read huge chunks of Day 0 stuff is annoying. But I think starting discussions earlier is never a bad thing.
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 103

Post by Ricochet »

So heads up, I opened the game at 2:40am local (is that 7:40 or 8:40 EST? not sure; is the ParkRec deadline, for instance, at 8 or 9pm?), but I'd like to set the start of phases earlier at :00 as much as possible for the remainder of the game, if that's coolio with you.
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark

triceratopzeuhl wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:triceratopzeuhl:

In your first post you acknowledged the quick beginnings of the baddie hunting in this game with what looked like an air of approval. Your content since though has been about the POE strategic discussion. Do you derive any reads from that?
Just impressed with the gusto from some people even if it might be mostly hot air. I can't tell much on day 0 and I seriously doubt anybody else can, no matter what they claim. We don't even have a lynch vote today, no night actions have happened, there isn't even a semi-nonsensical day 0 poll like some hosts like to do (MP comes to mind). At best one of the over-enthused paragraphs here will sound funny & gather suspicion - but who is more likely to be theorycrafting and looking for a winning strategy for the civs, goodies or baddies? Baddies benefit more from not directing attention at themselves.

Anyway, if alex is going to be posting his rainbow list here instead of keeping his reads private, it will if nothing else provide fodder for discussion
Which is why I'm personally okay with Day 0 discussions. It has helped me identify and catch baddies later on. Forcing them to be active and post a lot gives more opportunities to read them and more opportunities for them to slip up.
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark

MovingPictures07 wrote:Holy fuck, I have over 100 posts and it's not even Day 1 yet.

SUPATOWN POE STYLE.
You may as well admit your normal playstyle involves posting a lot lol.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Ricochet wrote:So heads up, I opened the game at 2:40am local (is that 7:40 or 8:40 EST? not sure; is the ParkRec deadline, for instance, at 8 or 9pm?), but I'd like to set the start of phases earlier at :00 as much as possible for the remainder of the game, if that's coolio with you.
Parks and Rec deadline is at 8PM Eastern, 7PM Central.
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
triceratopzeuhl wrote:I was gonna say, if I want any hope of keeping up with discussion I need to post faster
Sorry, I'm simultaneously torn between being insanely hyped for this game and wanting to generate ALL OF THE CONTENT IN THE UNIVERSE to catch all the town reads so that I can eliminate the mafia as well as trying to pace myself a bit so that I don't flood the thread too much with content.

The former half I think is winning. I need to run a quick errand anyway, so I'll leave again for a bit.
Yeah, sometimes the instinct within is too powerful. I have tried to restrain myself and here I am with way too many posts. :rolleyes:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

birdwithteeth11 wrote:
triceratopzeuhl wrote:

In your first post you acknowledged the quick beginnings of the baddie hunting in this game with what looked like an air of approval. Your content since though has been about the POE strategic discussion. Do you derive any reads from that?
Just impressed with the gusto from some people even if it might be mostly hot air. I can't tell much on day 0 and I seriously doubt anybody else can, no matter what they claim. We don't even have a lynch vote today, no night actions have happened, there isn't even a semi-nonsensical day 0 poll like some hosts like to do (MP comes to mind). At best one of the over-enthused paragraphs here will sound funny & gather suspicion - but who is more likely to be theorycrafting and looking for a winning strategy for the civs, goodies or baddies? Baddies benefit more from not directing attention at themselves.

Anyway, if alex is going to be posting his rainbow list here instead of keeping his reads private, it will if nothing else provide fodder for discussion
Which is why I'm personally okay with Day 0 discussions. It has helped me identify and catch baddies later on. Forcing them to be active and post a lot gives more opportunities to read them and more opportunities for them to slip up.
Just popping in for a second here (won't be around for longer than to make this post), but I wanted to inquire something of you, BWT.

You emphasize that you prefer Day 0 discussions like the one we've had in this game because they provide more content by which you can find baddies subsequently. Do you have any even very minor potential leads based on what has already transpired? Or are you merely indicating that revisiting Day 0 once you have subsequent leads may bring more light to whether those reads are more or less accurate? Give me your thought process here and provide a concrete example of a read you've already started developing, if you can.
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 156

Post by Dom »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
LoRab wrote:

Hunting for mafia fellow townies. That's what we're supposed to be doing. :srsnod:

How do other people feel about that line?
I don't feel great about it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
LoRab wrote:

What's wrong with it? I've been clear about implementing POE this game.
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

Ricochet wrote:So heads up, I opened the game at 2:40am local (is that 7:40 or 8:40 EST? not sure; is the ParkRec deadline, for instance, at 8 or 9pm?), but I'd like to set the start of phases earlier at :00 as much as possible for the remainder of the game, if that's coolio with you.
i just ran into that thred and it ends at 8:12 EST for me
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
LoRab wrote:

Civvie hunting isn't what is bothering me
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark

Fine by me.
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark

Golden wrote:Hot takes

Bwt is town. Scotty is bad.
Golden, are you planning on elaborating on this anytime soon?
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark

MovingPictures07 wrote:
birdwithteeth11 wrote:
triceratopzeuhl wrote:

Just popping in for a second here (won't be around for longer than to make this post), but I wanted to inquire something of you, BWT.

You emphasize that you prefer Day 0 discussions like the one we've had in this game because they provide more content by which you can find baddies subsequently. Do you have any even very minor potential leads based on what has already transpired? Or are you merely indicating that revisiting Day 0 once you have subsequent leads may bring more light to whether those reads are more or less accurate? Give me your thought process here and provide a concrete example of a read you've already started developing, if you can.
More the second. Because I'm not really sure how concrete Day 0 reads are in a vacuum and I would need to see enough evidence on that for me to change my mind. I think looking at Day 0 once you hit around Day 3 or 4 can help emphasize those current reads based on past actions or make one reconsider based on said past actions.

Reads I have so far? Uhhhh.....not much. But if I had to pick one or two:

- Scotty doesn't feel good to me yet. Seems awfully contradictory on your POE methodology.

- I was surprised this many players didn't know what POE was. But it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. :P

- I'm iffy on Jay. Maybe I'm just used to him being more assertive and decisive. So that may be why I feel the way I do about him currently. But he's a solid grey and would lean ever so slightly civ on him.

- The theme is as awesome as I figured it would be.

- Nothing on Dom yet. Other than his naturally inquisitive self.

- Nothing on Boomslang yet. I'm just not seeing where you are coming from on him.

I think that's all of my definitive feelings, or as definitive as this Day 0 is so far.
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark

Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
LoRab wrote:

I mean, that is the one major crux of the POE methodology I've seen so far that I hadn't considered myself. It would certainly be very easy for a baddie to hide behind if they adopted the strategy early on and were very successful at it. But I think if you had enough players participating in that strategy in a game (maybe at least 50% of them?), and continued to do so throughout, then you could eventually whittle down 1) the options the baddies have for good kills, and 2) the number of people who aren't civs.

Not a perfect strategy, but I get the idea of approaching the game from a different angle for the same result.

As for how I actually feel about it in the moment? Ehhhhh....yeah, it doesn't look good.

I just feel there is enough context outside of this one thought bubble though that it doesn't do much other than make me slightly quizzical.
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark

Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
LoRab wrote:

Then I'm confused. Which part of it bothered you?
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 90
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

Boomslang wrote:
Scotty wrote:
Boomslang wrote:

Ah gotcha
:beer:

Also I like how Boom and Mp posted something about JJJ not giving enough content and the the next thing is JJJ's retelling of Walden.
Whereas Batman is the hero this city deserves but doesn't need right now, JJJ is the philosopher this thread deserves but doesn't believe right now.

I disliked Boom's entrance but his last little post has me feeling better about him.
Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
LoRab wrote:

Wait I'm confused then. Were you not talking about the first line?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

birdwithteeth11 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
birdwithteeth11 wrote:
triceratopzeuhl wrote:

More the second. Because I'm not really sure how concrete Day 0 reads are in a vacuum and I would need to see enough evidence on that for me to change my mind. I think looking at Day 0 once you hit around Day 3 or 4 can help emphasize those current reads based on past actions or make one reconsider based on said past actions.

- Scotty doesn't feel good to me yet. Seems awfully contradictory on your POE methodology.

- I was surprised this many players didn't know what POE was. But it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. :P

- I'm iffy on Jay. Maybe I'm just used to him being more assertive and decisive. So that may be why I feel the way I do about him currently. But he's a solid grey and would lean ever so slightly civ on him.

- Nothing on Boomslang yet. I'm just not seeing where you are coming from on him.

I think that's all of my definitive feelings, or as definitive as this Day 0 is so far.
It sure sounds like everyone's pretty murky brown to you. Why even mention Dom and Boom if you don't have a read on them?

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

birdwithteeth11 wrote:
Golden wrote:Hot takes

Bwt is town. Scotty is bad.
Golden, are you planning on elaborating on this anytime soon?
He's waiting for me to check my BTSC chat so he can yell at me for not opening my role card before posting :shifty:

birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark

Scotty wrote:
birdwithteeth11 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
birdwithteeth11 wrote:
triceratopzeuhl wrote:

It sure sounds like everyone's pretty murky brown to you. Why even mention Dom and Boom if you don't have a read on them?
Because others have voiced opinions on them, and I am just acknowledging that that is out there, but that I currently do not have strong leanings one way or another on those players.
sig
bolt sbit mpo
Posts in topic: 47

Post by sig »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Well, I've OT talked enough.

Although recently I've uncovered that POE naturally describes my recently developed playstyle because I much more easily find town reads than I do baddie reads, I've never formally used POE before.

I'll be using POE exclusively this game, and I'd like to approach it both as an individual (with my rainbow lists like I usually do) but as a group this time.

Who wants to join me? :mafia:
tbh what does this mean tbh
Stated as simply as possible, POE ("process of elimination") takes the typical strategy of a town player (to hunt for members of the mafia) and flips it on its head (instead hunt for fellow townies).

The theory behind POE is that town can win due to the fact that it has a majority, and if members of the town can collectively use POE to clear enough of each other from consideration of being mafia, then the only players that haven't been cleared are the mafia.

A player can approach POE on an individual level, like I've usually been doing more so these days in the beginning of the game when I state "here are 5 town reads", etc., and then when it comes time to vote I just vote among the players I haven't found any reason to call town.

Multiple players can approach POE on a group level with specific intent of using POE (something I have not yet participated in), and assuming those players can town-clear each other, they will then work with each other collectively to cross-examine each other's town reads to develop a consensus suspect pool. For example, if there are 10 players, and I (as Player #1) have town reads on Players #3, 5, 7, and 8, and Players #3 and #5 who also are using POE have town reads on Players #2, 4, 5, and 9, then that leaves a consensus suspect pool of only Players #6 and #10, since neither of those players are being town read by any of the players utilizing POE. All of the POE-utilizing players would then decide on either #6 or #10 for their votes.
Ah so basically a town circle?

NO NO NO ANNNNNND NO!

This is perhaps one of my least favorite methods of hunting mafia whether it is winning dead or alive or not. Mainly since if one mafia gets in the town circle aka 100% cleared we will listen to them buddy buddy, then they can screw up the whole game. I've seen it happen quite a few times so we should be very wary if we're going to employ this strategy.

So while it can work I don't think we should put to much stock in POE to early in the game.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Dom wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Actually MP, your post count has already jumped to an obscene place. I'm not sure I've seen it quite like this since you started Transistor with 57 posts before the second-highest poster made it to #8.

You over-eager cuz you bad, m8?
i got a cherry tree out back
wanna pick some more?
It's a cherry pick if MP dominates the early post count this much in every game, and I don't think he does. Indeed other than Transistor I might say the other most applicable comparison is to the Scrimmage (I can't remember his precise post count comparatively; I just remember it being very high very early). It doesn't make him bad, but it's worth throwing some poop.
Good point from JJJ, Dom's post is pingy. MP is more than able to defend himself from what was only a statement by 3J, so why jump in?

Up to page five have to study for my second final, so I must be off.

linki: :sigh:
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

JaggedJimmyJay and MovingPictures: won't you join me in the quest for the fewest posts? :grin:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

No town read for me, BWT? :pout: Seriously though, thanks for the thoughts. Keep those up.

Metalmarsh89 wrote:JaggedJimmyJay and MovingPictures: won't you join me in the quest for the fewest posts? :grin:
Fuck no. :feb:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

sig wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Well, I've OT talked enough.

Although recently I've uncovered that POE naturally describes my recently developed playstyle because I much more easily find town reads than I do baddie reads, I've never formally used POE before.

I'll be using POE exclusively this game, and I'd like to approach it both as an individual (with my rainbow lists like I usually do) but as a group this time.

Who wants to join me? :mafia:
tbh what does this mean tbh
Stated as simply as possible, POE ("process of elimination") takes the typical strategy of a town player (to hunt for members of the mafia) and flips it on its head (instead hunt for fellow townies).

The theory behind POE is that town can win due to the fact that it has a majority, and if members of the town can collectively use POE to clear enough of each other from consideration of being mafia, then the only players that haven't been cleared are the mafia.

A player can approach POE on an individual level, like I've usually been doing more so these days in the beginning of the game when I state "here are 5 town reads", etc., and then when it comes time to vote I just vote among the players I haven't found any reason to call town.

Multiple players can approach POE on a group level with specific intent of using POE (something I have not yet participated in), and assuming those players can town-clear each other, they will then work with each other collectively to cross-examine each other's town reads to develop a consensus suspect pool. For example, if there are 10 players, and I (as Player #1) have town reads on Players #3, 5, 7, and 8, and Players #3 and #5 who also are using POE have town reads on Players #2, 4, 5, and 9, then that leaves a consensus suspect pool of only Players #6 and #10, since neither of those players are being town read by any of the players utilizing POE. All of the POE-utilizing players would then decide on either #6 or #10 for their votes.
Ah so basically a town circle?

NO NO NO ANNNNNND NO!

This is perhaps one of my least favorite methods of hunting mafia whether it is winning dead or alive or not. Mainly since if one mafia gets in the town circle aka 100% cleared we will listen to them buddy buddy, then they can screw up the whole game. I've seen it happen quite a few times so we should be very wary if we're going to employ this strategy.

So while it can work I don't think we should put to much stock in POE to early in the game.
That's why you never listen to anyone 100%, always question even those cleared by the POE, and continually re-assess every read, including town reads. Sounds to me your experiences are soured by players not using the method effectively, not the method itself. ;)
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Seriously, I'm actually leaving now. Off to go ask some professors if they'll be on my committee. Hopefully they don't say oh god no. :grin:
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Meanwhile, back at the farm, the marmot found a tasty turnip to nibble on.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

birdwithteeth11 wrote:
Scotty wrote:
birdwithteeth11 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
birdwithteeth11 wrote:
triceratopzeuhl wrote:

Because others have voiced opinions on them, and I am just acknowledging that that is out there, but that I currently do not have strong leanings one way or another on those players.
I am currently acknowledging you exist in this game, and that you are probably good or bad.

:beer:

Return to “Previous Side Missions”