Moderator: Community Team

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 522
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Re: [Day 1] GY!BE Mafia

Post by Tangrowth »

Hey Boomslang, have my vote. Convince me you're town. What are your current reads and why? They don't have to be anything substantial by any means.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Hey Boomslang, have my vote. Convince me you're town. What are your current reads and why? They don't have to be anything substantial by any means.
Yep, I can confirm; votes are changeable.

Don't worry, Boomslang, wouldn't have done this without referring back to the rules first, but I was still not 100% sure. Usually I wait for MM to cast the first vote. :p
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 219

Post by Golden »

You are missing a post in the series - namely, the first one I aimed at Dom, where I couldn't even ascertain why he was finding you suspicious.
Golden wrote:
Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
LoRab wrote:
triceratopzeuhl wrote:Who hasn't checked in yet? A Person, Lorab, Ninjuukyuwhatever, anybody else? (sorry if you did and I just missed your post)
I did so check in!! I was the first to post!!!!! I just haven't had anything to add since then.

That said...and this is probably a stupid question (and I'll probably get flack for it, but whatever). But, uh, are we supposed to be doing anything? There's no poll, but is there any sort of day 0 exercise that I missed? Do we know how we get to day 1 (or night 1, depending on which comes first)?
Hunting for mafia fellow townies. That's what we're supposed to be doing. :srsnod:

But seriously, no Day 0 poll or anything, just check in time... I believe.
How do other people feel about that line?
I don't feel great about it.
Why not? If anything, I'd call it one of the most town-leaning lines MP has written in this game, so I'm interested in your perspective.
The second one was my figuring out Dom's point and so reframing his point in a way that makes more sense to me, as a poke. Your response to my question reinforced the way I read it from you in the first place.

Ultimately, my own thoughts on Dom went from 'suspicious' to 'oh, I can actually understand Dom's mindset here'. So, I don't particular find Dom suspicious for it. I do, however, believe your own account of why you said 'fellow civvies'.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Votes being changeable and all, then I'm voting for Scotty.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:You are missing a post in the series - namely, the first one I aimed at Dom, where I couldn't even ascertain why he was finding you suspicious.
Golden wrote:
Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
LoRab wrote:
triceratopzeuhl wrote:Who hasn't checked in yet? A Person, Lorab, Ninjuukyuwhatever, anybody else? (sorry if you did and I just missed your post)
I did so check in!! I was the first to post!!!!! I just haven't had anything to add since then.

That said...and this is probably a stupid question (and I'll probably get flack for it, but whatever). But, uh, are we supposed to be doing anything? There's no poll, but is there any sort of day 0 exercise that I missed? Do we know how we get to day 1 (or night 1, depending on which comes first)?
Hunting for mafia fellow townies. That's what we're supposed to be doing. :srsnod:

Why not? If anything, I'd call it one of the most town-leaning lines MP has written in this game, so I'm interested in your perspective.
The second one was my figuring out Dom's point and so reframing his point in a way that makes more sense to me, as a poke. Your response to my question reinforced the way I read it from you in the first place.

Ultimately, my own thoughts on Dom went from 'suspicious' to 'oh, I can actually understand Dom's mindset here'. So, I don't particular find Dom suspicious for it. I do, however, believe your own account of why you said 'fellow civvies'.
Oh, okay, thanks. I remember reading that previously, but it slipped my mind that you said that within recent conversation, my bad.

I wouldn't even say I find Dom suspicious for it either; I'm just confused and I'm not sure it's genuine.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:Votes being changeable and all, then I'm voting for Scotty.
I'll be joining you if he doesn't answer my concerns. I'd say he's GTH the most suspicious player in this game so far, but too many folks haven't said anything of content.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:Votes being changeable and all, then I'm voting for Scotty.
I'll be joining you if he doesn't answer my concerns. I'd say he's GTH the most suspicious player in this game so far, but too many folks haven't said anything of content.
To elaborate, I'm feeling tentatively better about Boomslang after his most recent posts, but I'm still trying to feel him out, hence my prodding. Scotty's wishy-washy thoughts on my use of POE that I highlighted are objectively more suspicious.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Hey Golden, I haven't given you a town read yet. Do you feel like your behavior in this game warrants a town read? Why should I town read you? I just want to keep saying the phrase town read again, so that's why I'm writing this last sentence with the phrase town read in it twice.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Hey Golden, I haven't given you a town read yet. Do you feel like your behavior in this game warrants a town read? Why should I town read you? I just want to keep saying the phrase town read again, so that's why I'm writing this last sentence with the phrase town read in it twice.
I think probably the most town-aligned aspect of my play so far is that I am making no particular effort to conform to my town meta.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Hey Golden, I haven't given you a town read yet. Do you feel like your behavior in this game warrants a town read? Why should I town read you? I just want to keep saying the phrase town read again, so that's why I'm writing this last sentence with the phrase town read in it twice.
I think probably the most town-aligned aspect of my play so far is that I am making no particular effort to conform to my town meta.
How so? What specifically would you say are characteristics of your town meta?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Also, I'm leaving now. Be back at some point.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 141
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Voting for all three of the J's.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:
Well, I wouldn't say it's so much about the characteristics of my actual town meta (because I think being relaxed and jokey actually is one) but more the characteristics of the perception of my town meta, to which I try to conform when bad.

Which is, in a manner of speaking, to start nailing people to the wall very early, day zero be damned.

Or, Canuck's quote in my sig below.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Re: [Day 0] GY!BE Mafia

Post by Sloonei »

Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
...That's how I talk. I'm not trying to be convincing. I'm just being goofy if anything. If you find that suspicious, then... OK. I find your observation a bit forced frankly.
ok
Who are you gonna vote for? ;)
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman
Posts in topic: 24
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers/herself

Post by nijuukyugou »

I'm as caught up as I feel like. That was pages of friggin' POE and...well, I don't even know, and I just feel like playing. Or talking. Or something. I can always go back, I suppose. Or not. We'll see.

Changeable votes, eh? Haven't play with those in a while. May the chaos commence!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Boomslang
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 37

Post by Boomslang »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Hey Boomslang, have my vote. Convince me you're town. What are your current reads and why? They don't have to be anything substantial by any means.
Yes, please hold me to a higher standard of proof than literally anyone else in the game, including people (cough, AP) with exactly one no-content post. Sigh. But I know you won't change the vote unless I respond, so here goes.

Current reads:
Golden - Town. Casual enough in the defense of my poke on him, good prodding of JJJ, sticking his neck out early with the hot takes.
Sloonei - Town. Strong reads, logic I agree with about JJJ, seems to be having fun.
Dom - Town. There are some inconsistencies in his post style, mostly capitalization, that suggest he's not overanalyzing his stuff, and I don't think he'd be so... short tempered, perhaps, if he were overly concerned about drawing votes.
BWT - Bad. Weird contradictions in multiple posts, including defending contradictions with more contradictions.
JJJ - Bad. I agree with Sloonei's case.
Vomps - Bad. I flipped a coin and it came up tails.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 589
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Sloonei's initial work in suggesting I have been a waffler of sorts was a nice workload for Day 0. I do think though that his choices for highlighting left room for contextual problems (highlighting a word or two that only loosely apply to the stated premise of tentativeness). I also think the core expectation of confidence from anyone, JJJ or not, in a Day 0 lean is rather bunk. So Sloonei should answer for that.
Your tentative language was the thing that stood out most to me when I was reading the thread and I wanted to make a note of that so everyone could look at it and share their thoughts.
It wasn't that you struck me as lacking confidence in any reads on Day 0. That's not a thing I'd fault anyone for. It was that you seemed to be lacking confidence when people questioned you about things you had previously said, and that's not a great look on Day 0, or Day 1, or Day 8.
I'm not sure this qualification of your suspicion matches the original suspicion you presented. You pointed to specific language I used which you said evidenced tentativeness, and you said that tentativeness was atypical of a town JJJ. This means the read you were making was based in meta and in language directly relevant to the confidence I exuded in the reads I stated. Moreover, a significant portion of the moments you cited were related to my perspective of INH -- an uncertain perspective stated in response to an MP request for feedback on his own read. Those weren't "responses to questions about things I had previously said", they were answers to a specific prompt about something MovingPicutres said (relating to his town read on INH).

The other post you highlighted twice (the "softball/poo-fling" at MP is one that I would assert doesn't clearly suit either of those accusations. I clearly stated the thought I had, why I had it, and then qualified it when MP poked me in response. This is one of those examples I referenced earlier when I said it seemed you were attributing terms to "tentativeness" that only loosely applied -- in this case the term "probably".

Please spell out clearly examples of the assertion you're making now (highlighted above), and then describe why in context a different expression of confidence would have been warranted.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 156

Post by Dom »

Sloonei wrote:
Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
...That's how I talk. I'm not trying to be convincing. I'm just being goofy if anything. If you find that suspicious, then... OK. I find your observation a bit forced frankly.
ok
Who are you gonna vote for? ;)
*head EXPLODES*

i don't wanna vote rn
but i'd vote for jay rn
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:So, you see MP engaging in a bit of moustache twirling?

I do actually see your point - MP, why assume LoRab is a civvie? Surely that's implied by saying 'fellow civvies'?
I wasn't talking about LoRab. There's no implication.

I'm saying the job at hand is to find mafia, then I scratched that out and said fellow townies, because that's what I'm doing, because POE. It was supposed to be a joke.
I concur.

What do you think of Dom raising it?
I'm not really sure, but it strikes me as potentially fabricated. Here's why: Of literally all of my 130+ posts that Dom could have responded to, he chose to zero in on the use of my word "fellow" in one post. Not my use of POE (which Scotty and Wilgy criticized as a potential tool for me to hide behind if I'm bad, for example, even though you all should know better that my baddie strategy is never to hide a damn thing). Not my treatment of any other players.

It also strikes me as potentially fabricated given Dom's lamentation earlier in the game regarding not being able to develop any reads with Day 0 content. Townie Dom picks at things and finds pings, even in the most unlikely places; that's what makes him an astute player. There has been plenty of relatively meaty content so far in this game for him to poke at, so for him to finally come out and again zero in on not liking my use of "fellow", among literally everything, just doesn't compute to me.

Lastly, I find his most recent response to me (of just "ok") confusing. I'm not sure how he is trying to get a read on me with this conversation.

Dom and I are very different people though; if our thoughts were two sides of the same brain, I think that brain would overload due to cognitive dissonance. Consequently, I don't feel we are necessarily very effective at reading each other in these games. The only time I was even remotely accurate about him in recent memory was Mad Max.

So all of that to say the whole ordeal pings me a bit... but I'm far from wanting to stick a pitchfork into Dom at this time.
This wasn't the only post I responded to so....
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:You are missing a post in the series - namely, the first one I aimed at Dom, where I couldn't even ascertain why he was finding you suspicious.
Golden wrote:
Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
LoRab wrote:

Oh, okay, thanks. I remember reading that previously, but it slipped my mind that you said that within recent conversation, my bad.

I wouldn't even say I find Dom suspicious for it either; I'm just confused and I'm not sure it's genuine.
I fabricated a suspicion, I thought? :p
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

birdwithteeth11 wrote:For what it's worth, I actually prefer to have more "blown up" threads on Day 0 since I think it gives a better future baseline down the road. I've had games where I've been on time crunches before and having to read huge chunks of Day 0 stuff is annoying. But I think starting discussions earlier is never a bad thing.
There was a time when I fully agreed. I have been told enough times though that my own silly intensity literally prevents people from keeping up that I feel I have to acknowledge it -- at least on Day 0.

What I like about BWT is that he has made a concerted effort to interact with a wide portion of the player roster. His reads may not be especially developed yet, but I there is a visible effort in his posts to change that.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Boomslang wrote:
Yes, please hold me to a higher standard of proof than literally anyone else in the game, including people (cough, AP) with exactly one no-content post. Sigh. But I know you won't change the vote unless I respond, so here goes.
This is rather ironically a blatant example of appeasement, something you accused me of earlier in this thread.
Boomslang wrote:BWT - Bad. Weird contradictions in multiple posts, including defending contradictions with more contradictions.
What are the contradictions you're referring to regarding BWT? What about Sloonei's suspicion of me do you agree with? What is the point of including Vompatti in this post?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I suspect neither MP for saying "fellow" nor Dom for bringing it up. It's poop worth tossing.

I do actually see your point - MP, why assume LoRab is a civvie? Surely that's implied by saying 'fellow civvies'?
Adverb alert. I don't think that was implied in what MP said. This seems like a trivial thing for Golden to bother with -- I'd expect him to be the guy dismissing this notion first.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:
Well, I wouldn't say it's so much about the characteristics of my actual town meta (because I think being relaxed and jokey actually is one) but more the characteristics of the perception of my town meta, to which I try to conform when bad.

Which is, in a manner of speaking, to start nailing people to the wall very early, day zero be damned.

Or, Canuck's quote in my sig below.
Cool, I can dig it.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Boomslang wrote:

Current reads:
Golden - Town. Casual enough in the defense of my poke on him, good prodding of JJJ, sticking his neck out early with the hot takes.
Sloonei - Town. Strong reads, logic I agree with about JJJ, seems to be having fun.
Dom - Town. There are some inconsistencies in his post style, mostly capitalization, that suggest he's not overanalyzing his stuff, and I don't think he'd be so... short tempered, perhaps, if he were overly concerned about drawing votes.
BWT - Bad. Weird contradictions in multiple posts, including defending contradictions with more contradictions.
I'm not declaring you as my highest priority to be lynched, by the way, just parking my vote as I lay some pressure down to feel you out.

What strong reads would you say Sloonei has?

What makes BWT's contradictions nefarious? You can point to just one example if you'd like.

What about Sloonei's case specifically is compelling?

How do you feel about Scotty?

And I've posted more than anyone else in this entire game, yet you don't list me. Why?

I'll move my vote off you for now though. I'm voting Blooper because she seems eager to start the game and yet hasn't done anything yet.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

nijuukyugou wrote:I'm as caught up as I feel like. That was pages of friggin' POE and...well, I don't even know, and I just feel like playing. Or talking. Or something. I can always go back, I suppose. Or not. We'll see.

Changeable votes, eh? Haven't play with those in a while. May the chaos commence!
How caught up are you/how much have you read?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:

I wasn't talking about LoRab. There's no implication.

I'm saying the job at hand is to find mafia, then I scratched that out and said fellow townies, because that's what I'm doing, because POE. It was supposed to be a joke.
I concur.

What do you think of Dom raising it?
I'm not really sure, but it strikes me as potentially fabricated. Here's why: Of literally all of my 130+ posts that Dom could have responded to, he chose to zero in on the use of my word "fellow" in one post. Not my use of POE (which Scotty and Wilgy criticized as a potential tool for me to hide behind if I'm bad, for example, even though you all should know better that my baddie strategy is never to hide a damn thing). Not my treatment of any other players.

It also strikes me as potentially fabricated given Dom's lamentation earlier in the game regarding not being able to develop any reads with Day 0 content. Townie Dom picks at things and finds pings, even in the most unlikely places; that's what makes him an astute player. There has been plenty of relatively meaty content so far in this game for him to poke at, so for him to finally come out and again zero in on not liking my use of "fellow", among literally everything, just doesn't compute to me.

Lastly, I find his most recent response to me (of just "ok") confusing. I'm not sure how he is trying to get a read on me with this conversation.

Dom and I are very different people though; if our thoughts were two sides of the same brain, I think that brain would overload due to cognitive dissonance. Consequently, I don't feel we are necessarily very effective at reading each other in these games. The only time I was even remotely accurate about him in recent memory was Mad Max.

So all of that to say the whole ordeal pings me a bit... but I'm far from wanting to stick a pitchfork into Dom at this time.
This wasn't the only post I responded to so....
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:
Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
LoRab wrote:

I fabricated a suspicion, I thought? :p[/quote]
No, potentially fabricated. Just because something you say seems forced to me doesn't mean it is -- at least if experience is telling. :p

You said you responded to other posts; that is true, but you haven't thrown any much in terms of reads yet from what I can see. What reads do you currently have besides Jay?
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman

Post by nijuukyugou »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
nijuukyugou wrote:I'm as caught up as I feel like. That was pages of friggin' POE and...well, I don't even know, and I just feel like playing. Or talking. Or something. I can always go back, I suppose. Or not. We'll see.

I read the first five pages or so, got tired of seeing BOE, and then skimmed the rest. I think it's a combination of seeing the same stuff rehashed in those pages and being exceptionally tired this evening that makes me apathetic towards reading every post.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I suspect neither MP for saying "fellow" nor Dom for bringing it up. It's poop worth tossing.

Adverb alert. I don't think that was implied in what MP said. This seems like a trivial thing for Golden to bother with -- I'd expect him to be the guy dismissing this notion first.
I was similarly confused, hence my prior question. I'd like to see Golden's response though nonetheless.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

nijuukyugou wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:

I read the first five pages or so, got tired of seeing BOE, and then skimmed the rest. I think it's a combination of seeing the same stuff rehashed in those pages and being exceptionally tired this evening that makes me apathetic towards reading every post.
I think there is plenty of worthwhile material by which to start making reads buried in there, but that's just me.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I'm updating my rainbow and dropping a few town reads. It's Day 1 now. Everyone needs to step up their game.
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman

Post by nijuukyugou »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Boomslang wrote:

Current reads:
I'm not declaring you as my highest priority to be lynched, by the way, just parking my vote as I lay some pressure down to feel you out.

What makes BWT's contradictions nefarious? You can point to just one example if you'd like.

And I've posted more than anyone else in this entire game, yet you don't list me. Why?

I'll move my vote off you for now though. I'm voting Blooper because she seems eager to start the game and yet hasn't done anything yet.

I'm eager to play. The game has started. And I have read pages. "Anything" is a strong word, sir.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

nijuukyugou wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Boomslang wrote:

Current reads:

I'm eager to play. The game has started. And I have read pages. "Anything" is a strong word, sir.
Sorry, I mean no offense, I just mean you don't have any reads or game-related content by which to judge your alignment really. I got nothing. Give me something.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Awesome use of picture though, adds a nice touch.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

nijuukyugou wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:

Baskets of Eggs

I can understand. That's the reaction I anticipated from at least some people. I would say the material in this thread became less about strategy and more about reads over the latter half of Day 0. In any event there's readable material happening right now so gimme da goods.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Boomslang
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 37

Post by Boomslang »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Boomslang wrote:
This is rather ironically a blatant example of appeasement, something you accused me of earlier in this thread.
Boomslang wrote:BWT - Bad. Weird contradictions in multiple posts, including defending contradictions with more contradictions.
What are the contradictions you're referring to regarding BWT? What about Sloonei's suspicion of me do you agree with? What is the point of including Vompatti in this post?
Point taken, but I didn't really have much of a choice. Either I respond to MP and get accused of appeasement, or I ignore him and keep the vote. You're being opportunistic with a situation I had no part in creating.

Regarding the second quote:
BWT's contradictions are the wording bits. See some of Scotty's posts where he highlights relevant content.
Sloonei's points on the way you qualified your earlier posts, doing a bit of backpeddling, are the foundation of the read.
Vomps is there for the lulz.

To MP: see above for several of your points. Leaning town on Scotty because he agrees with me on BWT. Didn't list you because you just have so friggin' much to evaluate, and I wanted to get some reads out quickly. Laying out a bajillion posts has a smokescreen effect, whether you want it to or not.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Boomslang wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Boomslang wrote:
Point taken, but I didn't really have much of a choice. Either I respond to MP and get accused of appeasement, or I ignore him and keep the vote. You're being opportunistic with a situation I had no part in creating.

Regarding the second quote:
BWT's contradictions are the wording bits. See some of Scotty's posts where he highlights relevant content.
Sloonei's points on the way you qualified your earlier posts, doing a bit of backpeddling, are the foundation of the read.
Vomps is there for the lulz.

To MP: see above for several of your points. Leaning town on Scotty because he agrees with me on BWT. Didn't list you because you just have so friggin' much to evaluate, and I wanted to get some reads out quickly. Laying out a bajillion posts has a smokescreen effect, whether you want it to or not.
I like your fire.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I suspect neither MP for saying "fellow" nor Dom for bringing it up. It's poop worth tossing.

Nothing is a 'trivial thing for me to bother with'. Minutiae can be where you catch people sometimes. The first time around, I read it as simply a treatise on MPs use of PoE, and I believed him when he affirmed that later. But there is no guarantees he wouldn't flounder around in self-justification for a town LoRab read if I had understood his mindset wrong.

I'll also just note I DID dismiss the notion first. But then I revisited it with fresh eyes. And then I dismissed it again. And I'm totally ok with that :slick:

I'm going about this game the wrong way if I presume my perspective, and not Dom's, is the correct one without even thinking of testing it.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Sloonei's initial work in suggesting I have been a waffler of sorts was a nice workload for Day 0. I do think though that his choices for highlighting left room for contextual problems (highlighting a word or two that only loosely apply to the stated premise of tentativeness). I also think the core expectation of confidence from anyone, JJJ or not, in a Day 0 lean is rather bunk. So Sloonei should answer for that.
Your tentative language was the thing that stood out most to me when I was reading the thread and I wanted to make a note of that so everyone could look at it and share their thoughts.
It wasn't that you struck me as lacking confidence in any reads on Day 0. That's not a thing I'd fault anyone for. It was that you seemed to be lacking confidence when people questioned you about things you had previously said, and that's not a great look on Day 0, or Day 1, or Day 8.
I'm not sure this qualification of your suspicion matches the original suspicion you presented. You pointed to specific language I used which you said evidenced tentativeness, and you said that tentativeness was atypical of a town JJJ. This means the read you were making was based in meta and in language directly relevant to the confidence I exuded in the reads I stated. Moreover, a significant portion of the moments you cited were related to my perspective of INH -- an uncertain perspective stated in response to an MP request for feedback on his own read. Those weren't "responses to questions about things I had previously said", they were answers to a specific prompt about something MovingPicutres said (relating to his town read on INH).

The other post you highlighted twice (the "softball/poo-fling" at MP is one that I would assert doesn't clearly suit either of those accusations. I clearly stated the thought I had, why I had it, and then qualified it when MP poked me in response. This is one of those examples I referenced earlier when I said it seemed you were attributing terms to "tentativeness" that only loosely applied -- in this case the term "probably".

Please spell out clearly examples of the assertion you're making now (highlighted above), and then describe why in context a different expression of confidence would have been warranted.
My true beef was with those two posts I highlighted in my follow-up post. As it was Day 0, I was mostly just trying to fling poo and put content in the thread. I did not put a whole lot of thought into the way I presented my case, I was just concerned with calling attention to a pattern I thought I was picking up on in your posts. In a lot of your Day 0 posts it appeared to me like you were tiptoeing around and trying not to do anything that would get yourself caught in any traps. Maybe this is just a product of an unusually chatty Day 0, but I am accustomed to you being an aggressive poo-flinger out of the gate.
Instead, this time around I saw you giving lots of soft reads, ("I think..." "Maybe...") instead of stirring the pot, and I thought this attitude was best emphasized in those two posts I highlighted separately. Since you asked for descriptions:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Actually MP, your post count has already jumped to an obscene place. I'm not sure I've seen it quite like this since you started Transistor with 57 posts before the second-highest poster made it to #8.

You over-eager cuz you bad, m8?
Furthermore, I could say that this was a bit of a softball, Jay, fabricated to seem as though you care about uncovering my alignment, but with no actual value in determining that or in generating useful conversation. :mafia:

What would you say in response to that?
I would say that it probably is a softball, or perhaps it's better described as a poo fling. That's the nature of Day 0. I'm more conscious of the specific point I made than the average player because I was on your baddie team in Transistor. It came to mind so I puked it into the thread. You had 30 posts and I was in second place with I think 8. That's a significant disparity that recalled the even more significant disparity in that other game.
MP calls you out for what he perceives as a softball question and your response is "Yeah I guess. Or...". I concede that the explanation contained in that "or..." is a valid approach on Day 0/1, but I get the vibe that it came more from a defensive place than an honest one. On top of that, I think this post of yours lends some additional credibility to MP's accusation against you. There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of resistance here. You prodded him but then pulled back as soon as he responded. Day 0 or not, I like my JJJ's to be more aggressive than that.

Exhibit B:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:I didn't see disdain from inh. He seemed to be fine with others using it, pointed out that it had a particular weakness in this game, and made it clear he wouldn't be using it. That's all perfectly reasonable.
Yeah, this was part of my point; as a member of the mafia, if he in reality feels so strongly against POE, he could have easily derailed the entire thread by responding in a more emotionally manipulative manner. Instead, he popped in, noticed a potential hole in my strategy, expressed his beefs, and then was basically like 'OK, you do you, I'll do me'. I would expect that a mafia INH might have been more tempted to respond more outrageously, or at least draw out the conversation more. He seemed intent to express his piece and then end it.
I guess I don't agree with this assertion. I don't think "emotional manipulation" is a typical circumstance in strategic dialogue regardless of alignment. Sometimes it gets heated when people don't understand each other like it did in Red vs. Blue, but that's an exception and not the rule in my experience (and in that game everyone involved minus Epi was town).
You said earlier that your "I guess" might as well be replaced by the shrug emoji, but that's exactly my point. You seem to be completely conceding whatever you had said prior to this point in the argument. As far as my suspicion is concerned, the content that comes after your first sentence is totally irrelevant. My suspicion is purely in the language you use here. "I guess I don't agree" suggests less confidence than simply "I don't agree." Town Jay has no reason to lack confidence when making the simple statement of opinion like this.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I like Ninja. I called her out in the early game in Monkey Island and I think it got her to make a 'ninja-like' post over there to cover her trail, but she was bad (again, just going on what has been publicly seen).

I don't get the same sense from her here, of staying under the radar. I get more of a sense that she is genuinely reading the thread.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

MP's Beginning of Day 1 POE Rainbow - GY!BE Rainbow #3

birdwithteeth11
Boomslang
JaggedJimmyJay

A Person
Dom
DrWilgy
Epignosis
Golden
insertnamehere
LoRab
Metalmarsh89
nijuukyugou
Scotty
sig
Sloonei
timmer
triceratopzeuhl
Vompatti

I've dropped DrWilgy, insertnamehere, timmer, and triceratopzeuhl because those gut-based reads aren't good enough anymore to justify eliminating those folks from consideration for my vote today. I need moar content from you folks whenever you can get to it.

I can still currently justify BWT and JJJ because I still feel strong enough in calling those two town... for now.

I echo JJJ's observation that I dug BWT trying to interact with other players, even in real time, and when I pressed BWT for thoughts, his post was disheveled, but he threw out some believably genuine content. I'm really digging his game so far.

JJJ is slowly turning into the town machine I know and love, and I'm increasingly liking posts he's making recently. I dig that he's throwing out questions that need to be asked (re: Sloonei, Golden, etc.), but I'm still watching him closely. :mafia:

I've recently added Boomslang after prodding him subsequent to my gut throwing out his name as yucky when prompted by Golden. His responses to my poking have resulted in him elaborating upon and generating reads and content which appear to have a traceable train of though; and even if they are still earlyish reads and I don't agree with them, they have decent substance considering the current stage of the game. And his saltyness from Monkey Island has been not overt but detectable, and consequently I'm leaning towards not fabricated. His fire seems genuine to me.

And then I caught some linki with Golden and Sloonei I want to read after I post this.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Boomslang wrote:Point taken, but I didn't really have much of a choice. Either I respond to MP and get accused of appeasement, or I ignore him and keep the vote. You're being opportunistic with a situation I had no part in creating.
The thing is, I agree with the either/or premise and the rock/hard place nature of the scenario. It's similar to the point I made before: once someone casts suspicion based upon the provision of content, and provision of content which follows is open to that kind of assertion. So why did that assertion apply validly to me?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sloonei, I had my doubts that your observations against JJJ were genuine, but your most recent post at first glance seems genuine. I also think your response is well crafted and reasonable; I'm still mulling over whether I find any compelling alignment-indicative stuff in it. Let me revisit.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I agree with your boomslang read, MP.

I'm not understanding your read on Jay, though. I don't really see him throwing out 'questions that need to be asked'. I see him trying to undermine people who have expressed shady reads of him, and not much more.

The question Jay asked of me was in essence the same question MP asked of me, but with less neutrality and more of an angle about his perception of how I should act (and so, painting my behaviour in a negative light). MP, without agenda, just asked me to explain my mindset. Completely different.

I don't trust Jay at all.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:I like Ninja. I called her out in the early game in Monkey Island and I think it got her to make a 'ninja-like' post over there to cover her trail, but she was bad (again, just going on what has been publicly seen).

I don't get the same sense from her here, of staying under the radar. I get more of a sense that she is genuinely reading the thread.
Talk to me more about this. What's a ninja-like post?
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman

Post by nijuukyugou »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
nijuukyugou wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:

Baskets of Eggs

I can understand. That's the reaction I anticipated from at least some people. I would say the material in this thread became less about strategy and more about reads over the latter half of Day 0. In any event there's readable material happening right now so gimme da goods.
I shall do this thing with more gusto, methinks, when I am more rested and my head doesn't hurt. I am glad to actually be going back and forth with y'all in real time, though.
MovingPictures07 wrote:
nijuukyugou wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:

I think there is plenty of worthwhile material by which to start making reads buried in there, but that's just me.
This is probably true. I also wanted to jump in and see what I'd get in the next day (actual day, not game Day - the days during the Day :P ) or so without having to read every post from Day 0. I'll do a combination of both.

As for at least something I notice, MP is more talkative than he has been in a while, and...the player list is awesome? Shit, yeah, need to read when less tired.

Linki - A POX UPON ALL YOUR LINKI
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote:

Nothing is a 'trivial thing for me to bother with'. Minutiae can be where you catch people sometimes. The first time around, I read it as simply a treatise on MPs use of PoE, and I believed him when he affirmed that later. But there is no guarantees he wouldn't flounder around in self-justification for a town LoRab read if I had understood his mindset wrong.

I'll also just note I DID dismiss the notion first. But then I revisited it with fresh eyes. And then I dismissed it again. And I'm totally ok with that :slick:

I'm going about this game the wrong way if I presume my perspective, and not Dom's, is the correct one without even thinking of testing it.
My expectation stems from what I perceive to be a history of you turning away "scumslip" type assertions, a mindset I think you and I often share. I don't fault you though for engaging in a test or feel that it wasn't a test, and you haven't pressed the issue so I'll move on.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman

Post by nijuukyugou »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:I like Ninja. I called her out in the early game in Monkey Island and I think it got her to make a 'ninja-like' post over there to cover her trail, but she was bad (again, just going on what has been publicly seen).

The best kind of post :ninja:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:I agree with your boomslang read, MP.

I'm not understanding your read on Jay, though. I don't really see him throwing out 'questions that need to be asked'. I see him trying to undermine people who have expressed shady reads of him, and not much more.

The question Jay asked of me was in essence the same question MP asked of me, but with less neutrality and more of an angle about his perception of how I should act (and so, painting my behaviour in a negative light). MP, without agenda, just asked me to explain my mindset. Completely different.

Maybe I'm being blindsided here. I think I need to ISO Jay at some point to clarify my thoughts on him, because my gut was finding him increasingly yucky for most of the game until recently, and since then I've felt he seems reasonable and genuine.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Also, Golden, I think I'm ready to move you up. Movin' on up.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

nijuukyugou wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:

The best kind of post :ninja:
Well played.
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman

Post by nijuukyugou »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:I agree with your boomslang read, MP.

Maybe I'm being blindsided here. I think I need to ISO Jay at some point to clarify my thoughts on him, because my gut was finding him increasingly yucky for most of the game until recently, and since then I've felt he seems reasonable and genuine.
Never let him out of your sight #neverforgettransistor :suspish:

Return to “Previous Side Missions”