Re: Arrowverse Mafia - Day 0

Post by Sloonei »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:27 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:18 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:16 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:15 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:13 pm I have bourbon and opinions. Both of them are neat.
I implore you to share one of these with the thread. The choice is yours.
What's your address for the bourbon?
Buffalo
Perfect. I'll send you a Bill.

:haha:
I think you’ve had enough.
Haven't the Bills had enough?

Boom.
Nah, I think they can handle a few more seasons of Brady.
My banners:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Creature
Made Man
Posts in topic: 129

Post by Creature »

Creature wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 pm Hi I'm new how do I play?
idk, how do you play?
Only one forward for pawn; any horizontally or vertically for rook; L shape for knight; any diagonally for bishop; any horizontally, vertically or diagonally for queen; and one horizontally, vertically or diagonally for king.
Ultra
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 201

Post by Ultra »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:25 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:20 pm How come nobody has commented on my suggestion
Because your suggestion is fishing. Your suggestion is impossible to implement without Felicity knowing who Rip Hunter is. Your suggestion is manure.
Read the role, poopyhead.

"Felicity is a tech genius. Once in the game she can submit a role to the host to find out who has the role."
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:26 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:20 pm How come nobody has commented on my suggestion
Because people are cautious about engaging in role-specific chatter this early in the game. It’s not a bad proposal. I haven’t looked close enough at the role list to say whether or not it’s the best.
Well, look.
Creature
Made Man
Posts in topic: 129

Post by Creature »

Oops, I'm supposed to go to sleep.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 815
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 pm Forgot that the felicity player can't just post results

In that case, what we might want to try a coordinated effort to allow the felicity player to "claim indirectly"

Here's what I'm thinking, if all of us come together and decide on D1 that nobody is allowed to cast a vote, except for the felicity player who casts a vote on her peek, we get whoever we want out D1.

This doesn't break the claiming rules as far as I understand, because anybody can still step forth and vote. But if someone else does vote, we'll still know one is felicity and one is scum. So still a net +
This would be angleshooting and would be a violation of rules. And there’s no way to get players to buy in. And it is absolutely not worth the loss of civilian votes on Day 1. This plan would set us way back.

I propose we stick to the gameplan of making noise and hunting scum.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
MafiaMenace
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 62

Post by MafiaMenace »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:12 pm
MafiaMenace wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:45 pm

I am here!
Welcome back. What is your first impression of Ultra?
holy shit we're allowed to read people on day 0?
You’re going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road. It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn’t it? I’m sure you’ll overcome this. You’ll walk again… soon.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

MafiaMenace wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:31 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:12 pm
MafiaMenace wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:45 pm I am here![/center]
Welcome back. What is your first impression of Ultra?
holy shit we're allowed to read people on day 0?
I strongly encourage it.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:31 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 pm Forgot that the felicity player can't just post results

In that case, what we might want to try a coordinated effort to allow the felicity player to "claim indirectly"

Here's what I'm thinking, if all of us come together and decide on D1 that nobody is allowed to cast a vote, except for the felicity player who casts a vote on her peek, we get whoever we want out D1.

This doesn't break the claiming rules as far as I understand, because anybody can still step forth and vote. But if someone else does vote, we'll still know one is felicity and one is scum. So still a net +
This would be angleshooting and would be a violation of rules. And there’s no way to get players to buy in. And it is absolutely not worth the loss of civilian votes on Day 1. This plan would set us way back.

You sound like you're dismissing this out of hand way too easily. Strongly disagree, we should try to extract as much value out of our informational roles as we possibly can. If not my way, then some other way.

Angleshooting like this only arises because no claims in set ups like these are awkward
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Now if the host comes out and says something like that is a no go, that's one thing. Though as a host myself, I feel like that's a gray area.

But if we can do it I don't see why it wouldn't work. The buy in would be "if you stick to the plan town benefits", so if you're not in you're automatically suspect. Then we proceed to get a D1 lynch of any role we want to.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 451

Post by Epignosis »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 pm
Because your suggestion is fishing. Your suggestion is impossible to implement without Felicity knowing who Rip Hunter is. Your suggestion is manure.

"Felicity is a tech genius. Once in the game she can submit a role to the host to find out who has the role."
Because people are cautious about engaging in role-specific chatter this early in the game. It’s not a bad proposal. I haven’t looked close enough at the role list to say whether or not it’s the best.
Well, look.
I know what the role says.

I spoke bourbonese.

I'm torn on you.

That you are advocating the use of a civilian role to find an independent is fishy.

Have you read Rip's role? His faction has to outnumber the mafia. That means Rip's crew is not mafia aligned. Rip's crew would have an incentive to lynch mafia. I like Rip's crew.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Creature wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 pm
Creature wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 pm Hi I'm new how do I play?
idk, how do you play?
Only one forward for pawn; any horizontally or vertically for rook; L shape for knight; any diagonally for bishop; any horizontally, vertically or diagonally for queen; and one horizontally, vertically or diagonally for king.
I dig this cat.
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:37 pm

Well, look.

I spoke bourbonese.

I'm torn on you.

That you are advocating the use of a civilian role to find an independent is fishy.

Have you read Rip's role? His faction has to outnumber the mafia. That means Rip's crew is not mafia aligned. Rip's crew would have an incentive to lynch mafia. I like Rip's crew.
Well, my incentive with Rip is moreso that he's a cult than for explicit balance reasons, though I do think he's a net - to town.

With a cult running around converting literally whoever they want, we cannot trust any single player in the game. That's bad. Multiball is already enough of a clusterfuck, I'd rather do without that.

Being able to recruit is basically a factional kill anyway but worse
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

The only other role worth consideration would be darhk since RAG is unkillable without finding him. But I think cult's worse
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:37 pm Now if the host comes out and says something like that is a no go, that's one thing. Though as a host myself, I feel like that's a gray area.

But if we can do it I don't see why it wouldn't work. The buy in would be "if you stick to the plan town benefits", so if you're not in you're automatically suspect. Then we proceed to get a D1 lynch of any role we want to.
I am not the host but based on my years of experience on this site, I think that your proposal would be considered a violation.

As for my strategic objection: I think that the most important weapon a civilian has is their vote. A plan which involves have everybody abstain from voting on Day 1 is essentially waving the white flag on Day 1. Mafia get to kill somebody before we've tried to lynch them, and the activity that would normally take place on Day 1 is delayed until Day 2.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:40 pm

Well, look.

I spoke bourbonese.

I'm torn on you.

Well, my incentive with Rip is moreso that he's a cult than for explicit balance reasons, though I do think he's a net - to town.

With a cult running around converting literally whoever they want, we cannot trust any single player in the game. That's bad. Multiball is already enough of a clusterfuck, I'd rather do without that.

If Rip can take anybody, it's a factional "kill" that can take mafia or other independents.

It's Day 0. Rip doesn't do anything until Day 2. Let us focus on the threats du jour rather than become paranoid early on about a possible independent threat.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:44 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:37 pm Now if the host comes out and says something like that is a no go, that's one thing. Though as a host myself, I feel like that's a gray area.

I am not the host but based on my years of experience on this site, I think that your proposal would be considered a violation.

As for my strategic objection: I think that the most important weapon a civilian has is their vote. A plan which involves have everybody abstain from voting on Day 1 is essentially waving the white flag on Day 1. Mafia get to kill somebody before we've tried to lynch them, and the activity that would normally take place on Day 1 is delayed until Day 2.
Absolutely.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Civilians must vote to keep their heels on the throat of mafia. Any plan that recommends civilians do not vote is suspect to me.
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:46 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:40 pm

Well, look.

I spoke bourbonese.

I'm torn on you.

If Rip can take anybody, it's a factional "kill" that can take mafia or other independents.

It's Day 0. Rip doesn't do anything until Day 2. Let us focus on the threats du jour rather than become paranoid early on about a possible independent threat.
"Rip Hunter is a Time Master, and he is recruiting a team of Legends to help him travel through time and space fixing aberrations to the timeline. Every even night he recruits a player to his team. The Legends will win if at any point the surviving Legends outnumber the surviving total baddies."

I took this as his recruits are town exclusive.

If this isn't the case then rip would know an entire faction once he recruited a scum which is a little game breaking.

By the way, I'm not paranoid. I'm efficient, baby.
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 pm Civilians must vote to keep their heels on the throat of mafia. Any plan that recommends civilians do not vote is suspect to me.
Strawmanning my proposition. Scummy.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 pm Civilians must vote to keep their heels on the throat of mafia. Any plan that recommends civilians do not vote is suspect to me.
Strawmanning my proposition. Scummy.
Your posts have been straw. No man involved whatsoever. :llama:
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

The plan would only have everyone abstain until the felicia player casts their first vote. Not sustain for the entire day. We would get a D1 scum lynch. Sorry if that was not clear.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I would speculate that Ultra probably just comes from a community that's more accustomed to roleclaiming and mechanical hijinks than we are. He's thinking outside the box and, like speedchuck said before me, he's being very proactive and throwing himself into the thick of things right off the bat here, which contrasts with his Scrimmage entry.

I think he's town. He's just looking at the game from a different vantage point than the Syndicate is used to.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
MafiaMenace
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 62

Post by MafiaMenace »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:49 pm Hot take

Felicity player should use her one shot on Rip Hunter to prevent Cult Shenanigans
at first glance cult looks pretty harmless early game, in my personal opinion it should be spent on someone like deathstroke, it brings down the average kpn from 2.5 (i assume) down to 1.5

i dont see any posts of ultra that would let me make a read as they are all pregame fluff which happens or strategic thinking which comes from both alignments
You’re going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road. It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn’t it? I’m sure you’ll overcome this. You’ll walk again… soon.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:51 pm

The plan would only have everyone abstain until the felicia player casts their first vote. Not sustain for the entire day. We would get a D1 scum lynch. Sorry if that was not clear.
That makes more sense.

But I still doubt we'd be allowed to do anything like that.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Yeah, I don't suspect Ultra. I don't agree with Ultra, but there's nothing in those posts that lead me to believe he's not trying to get one over on anyone.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 pm
I would speculate that Ultra probably just comes from a community that's more accustomed to roleclaiming and mechanical hijinks than we are. He's thinking outside the box and, like speedchuck said before me, he's being very proactive and throwing himself into the thick of things right off the bat here, which contrasts with his Scrimmage entry.

I think he's town. He's just looking at the game from a different vantage point than the Syndicate is used to.
I took a piss and came back thinking the same. See above.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:54 pm Yeah, I don't suspect Ultra. I don't agree with Ultra, but there's nothing in those posts that lead me to believe he's not trying to get one over on anyone.
Bourbonese.

Trying to get one over on anyone.
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

MafiaMenace wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 pm

Felicity player should use her one shot on Rip Hunter to prevent Cult Shenanigans
at first glance cult looks pretty harmless early game, in my personal opinion it should be spent on someone like deathstroke, it brings down the average kpn from 2.5 (i assume) down to 1.5

i dont see any posts of ultra that would let me make a read as they are all pregame fluff which happens or strategic thinking which comes from both alignments
But with cult around you literally can't game solve as anybody could be town one moment and the next be unreliable. That ruins my incentive to play.

A recruit is better than a kill so I wouldn't call it harmless
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

That makes more sense.

Do I mention the host or the game mod for this
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I don't suspect Ultra. Bottom line.

I suspect Matahari.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

MafiaMenace wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 pm

This raises another point: we seem to have a lot of killing roles. A mafia faction killing each night, a civilian even-night killer, and an independent odd-night killer. Things can get real chaotic real fast. The threat of a cult can be inflated or deflated depending on who gets hit.

But it's also unclear whether or not this a traditional cult.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I think it's best if people who have a question for the host PM DFaraday about the matter. If he feels the need to comment publicly, he can do so.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:59 pm

That makes more sense.

This is a host issue.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:01 pm I think it's best if people who have a question for the host PM DFaraday about the matter. If he feels the need to comment publicly, he can do so.
Also this.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 200
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:20 pm
speedchuck wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:13 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:10 pm
speedchuck wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:08 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:02 pm @Ultra what does your scum hunting look like? What types of games are you used to playing, mechanics/setup-wise? What kind of pizza did you get earlier?
This is, like, the opposite of what I saw last game. :ponder:

Also hi guys
What did you see last game?
Ultra has hesitant to interact with the thread, which is why I voted him D1. He spoke mostly to Nova, who was answering whatever was thrown his way. Some weird dependent thing.

This game, Ultra has already made a hot take and claimed that he's going to flex on the thread (not hesitant), and you're buzzing him with questions as if he needs the help. (Where Nova was just whatever about it)

Enough for an early townread on Ultra. Not sure what to think of all your questions yet. Feels kinda like fluff, but it's also something you do with new players.
Yeah basically this.
Yeah
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:01 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:59 pm

That makes more sense.

This is a host issue.
I'll drop this for a second because you mentioned earlier other ways to make use of info roles - do you mind expanding, and how do you think we could possibly make use of felicia
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I think you allow Felicia to determine that.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Oh man, when Felicia dies, I get to say BYE FELICIA.
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:04 pm I think you allow Felicia to determine that.
Can you see how the reflexive suggestion to "just let the info roles do their own thing man" in a no claim/info set up is kinda suspicious.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:04 pm I think you allow Felicia to determine that.
Can you see how the reflexive suggestion to "just let the info roles do their own thing man" in a no claim/info set up is kinda suspicious.
No.

Whatever information civilians telegraph in the thread is information the mafia have. There is no advantage.

I cut my teeth here. DFaraday games are my kind of game. I want the civilians to use their roles in accordance with their best judgment. Some of the roles in this setup would make even me nervous if I were bad.

Let them do their job. If you are good, your job is to help lynch mafia.
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

I actually wanted to comment on this. In my community, we do closed role madness set ups which allow role/character claiming in most cases, but by design, do not allow claiming to give too much of an advantage (and often, a counter advantage). We minimize the amount of roles that are actually alignment indicative and this encourages play which focuses on the social aspect more than the mechanics.

So I wouldn't describe myself as a mechanical player. But if I see a free lunch, I'm going to eat it.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:03 pm I'll drop this for a second because you mentioned earlier other ways to make use of info roles - do you mind expanding, and how do you think we could possibly make use of felicia
"Breadcrumbing" is the popular term here for info-proliferation. Just because people aren't allowed to claim their roles, it doesn't mean they have to ignore the information they receive. If, for instance, a cop gets a guilty ID on a player they hadn't previously suspected, there's nothing preventing them from launching into a full tirade against that player the next day, or dropping subtle hints here and there. Basically the no-claiming rules make it so information is to be used more personally, and puts the onus on the civilians to be active in the thread and function as a group to solve the game, rather than waiting for power roles to come along.

This is part of the reason why I'm in no hurry to read all of the roles in the setup. It's never that bit of a deal to me early on. I know my role and I know how I want to approach the game as a civilian. That's all I need to get started.

I don't care to comment on how to make use of Felicia at this time. I think the player who has that role can be trusted to use it however they see fit. I don't think it's a bad idea to provide suggestions, though.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

My man Sloonei.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

That's two people I have the hots for.

Anybody else want to give me the hots tonight?
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:11 pm
No.

Whatever information civilians telegraph in the thread is information the mafia have. There is no advantage.

I cut my teeth here. DFaraday games are my kind of game. I want the civilians to use their roles in accordance with their best judgment. Some of the roles in this setup would make even me nervous if I were bad.

Finding a way to broadcast peeks itt is beneficial to scum. Ok.

I'll drop this point when I'm satisfied that there's no avenue here to extract valuable info from info roles. But I have not played a no claim set up with cops because, quite frankly, it's very awkward and defies the point of including them. For example, the felicia player or whoever else could drop hints or breadcrumb but I would assume that's also against the rules if my proposition is.

So when I see you suggest "let them sort it out", you're effectively saying "do nothing"
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 200
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:31 pm

Yeah, sorry Ultra but this would never happen on this site. It's not really in the spirit of the game and most people would not be down with it.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:16 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:11 pm
No.

Finding a way to broadcast peeks itt is beneficial to scum. Ok.

I'll drop this point when I'm satisfied that there's no avenue here to extract valuable info from info roles. But I have not played a no claim set up with cops because, quite frankly, it's very awkward and defies the point of including them. For example, the felicia player or whoever else could drop hints or breadcrumb but I would assume that's also against the rules if my proposition is.

So when I see you suggest "let them sort it out", you're effectively saying "do nothing"
This has been the setup on The Syndicate for years. It isn't the case so much anymore, but DFaraday is a relic here.

I'll speak plainly: I am not one bit concerned with using info roles or worrying about what Night actions people perform.

I am going to enjoy an old school classic Syndicate YOU USED AN ADVERB and enjoy myself in the bargain.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

[mention]DFaraday[/mention] I compulsively alphabetized and ISO-tized the player list if you wanna add this to the front page.

Cooler - ISO
Creature - ISO
Dragon D Luffy - ISO
DrWilgy - ISO
Dragomir - ISO
Epignosis - ISO
Jackofhearts2005 - ISO
juliets - ISO
Long Con - ISO
Luxurious - ISO
Macdougall - ISO
MafiaMenace - ISO
Matahari - ISO
nutella - ISO
sabie12 - ISO
Sloonei - ISO
Spacedaisy - ISO
speedchuck - ISO
sprityo - ISO
Ultra - ISO
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

[mention]DFaraday[/mention] I compulsively alphabetized and ISO-tized the player list if you wanna add this to the front page.

Cooler - ISO
Creature - ISO
Dragon D Luffy - ISO
DrWilgy - ISO
Dragomir - ISO
Epignosis - ISO
Jackofhearts2005 - ISO
juliets - ISO
Long Con - ISO
Luxurious - ISO
Macdougall - ISO
MafiaMenace - ISO
Matahari - ISO
nutella - ISO
sabie12 - ISO
Sloonei - ISO
Spacedaisy - ISO
speedchuck - ISO
sprityo - ISO
Ultra - ISO
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Note to self: use adverbs loosely and freely all game long.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Previous Jobs”