60%

Total votes: 10
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 31
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Avatar The Last Airbender Mafia postgame

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

This is a 17 player game with a number of power roles. These roles were assigned alignment-blind.

There is a 66 posts per day and 33 posts per night cap in this game. Please do not break this cap--unintentional breaking of the cap once will be moderately punished, intentionally breaking it will result in a modkill.

There's a nonstandard mechanic in this game--please read this!

Every character has been assigned an element (Air Nomad, Water Tribe, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation), elements do not correspond to alignment. Your element determines which abilities work on you, and who your abilities will work against. In short, it works like this:

Air abilities work on Water and Fire and Air. They do not work on Earth.
Water abilities work on Air and Earth and Water. They do not work on Fire.
Earth abilities work on Fire and Water and Earth. They do not work on Air.
Fire abilities work on Air and Earth and Fire. They do not work on Water.

Example: A Fire Nation Vig could shoot an Air or Fire or Earth player, but their shot would fail if aimed at a Water player. There may or may not be exceptions to this.

The characters in this game are:
Spoiler: show
Aang
Azula
Bumi
Iroh
Jet
June
Katara
Mae
Monk Gyatso
Ozai
Sokka
Suki
Toph
Ty Lee
Yue
Zhao
Zuko
Characters are not tied to alignment (i.e., Aang can be mafia, Azula can be town, etc.).

Phases are approximately 48 hours for the day, 24 for the night. If a player reaches 2/3 votes they will be hammered and the day will end early. Votes are made in the poll, calling them in thread is recommended but not mandatory. Ties will be broken by the mafia.

The Vanilla Town role PM is:
You have no abilities. You are town, and you win when all the mafia are dead.

[character gif]
ISOs and caps:

Host ISO

Alison Died N2; town
Carotenoid 114
cassowary 58
cayvie 107
chardonnay 75
DJ Neutron Star modkilled D2; town
dov 43
Dragon D. Luffy Died D4; town
DrWilgy 46
Fatmo 43
Jackofhearts2005 Died D3; town
JiwonMeganPark Died D1; town
KitsuShel (subbed out D1)/ Marcher Jovian Died D3; mafia
Long Con Died N4; town
nutella Died N1: town
PSINightmareEmpower Died N3; town
Ultimate-Gamer modkilled D2; mafia

Please avoid excessive AtE (appeals to emotion), defined as anything that directly states, implies, or suggests that your real life and/or friendship is being negatively effected by the game. If you feel that your real life is being negatively effected by the game, please contact a mod or site admin.

Epi says:
Good evening Airbenders.

I suppose that's a silly thing to say since there's only one of you given that up there it says "Last Airbender," but "Final Fantasy" is on its 211th title, so what do I know? :shrug:

Anyway, I'm your (Last?) (Final?) (Penultimate? :shifty: ) moderator on duty. If at any point you experience distress with other participants here, the host, the setup, or if your daily fantasy baseball team lost by one point (like mine did :disappoint: ), please PM your frustrations to me rather than letting them spill into the thread. I'm here to be the audience of your grievances and I will serve as an intermediary for any such conflict that shouldn't properly belong in a Mafia game.

Have fun...and uh...bend some air if you're the last one who can do that.
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 31
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Re: Avatar The Last Airbender Mafia

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

[mention]Alison[/mention]
[mention]Carotenoid[/mention]
[mention]cassowary[/mention]
[mention]cayvie[/mention]
[mention]chardonnay[/mention]
[mention]DJ Neutron Star[/mention]
[mention]dov[/mention]
[mention]Dragon D. Luffy[/mention]
[mention]DrWilgy[/mention]
[mention]Fatmo[/mention]
[mention]Jackofhearts2005[/mention]
[mention]JiwonMeganPark[/mention]
[mention]KitsuShel[/mention]
[mention]Long Con[/mention]
[mention]nutella[/mention]
[mention]PSINightmareEmpower[/mention]
[mention]Ultimate-Gamer[/mention]

All role PMs have been sent out. It is now D0, you may post up to 33 times. D1 will start at approximately September 1, 9pm EDT.

Please read the OP there's important stuff in it
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Carotenoid
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 115
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/herself

Post by Carotenoid »

Hype!!
Glgl have fun :dance:
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 160
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

I approve of this poll.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

I just died in another game I was playing. At the same time. At night 3, after dumping a bunch of info town can use.

Thank you magia gods. :beer:
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Mafia*
DJ Neutron Star
Posts in topic: 19
Preferred Pronouns: he/him, she/her

Post by DJ Neutron Star »

i have no clue how a solid third of this playerlist ended up being from my home site but i guess we're rolling with it
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 74
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

Hee hello, people I haven’t met.
cayvie
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 197
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by cayvie »

hi everyone!!
dov
Posts in topic: 27
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Post by dov »

Best of luck to everyone!
cayvie
Corrupt Union Official

Post by cayvie »

interesting stuff! the list of potential characters in the game is 17, which is the same as the number of players in the game, so it doesn't look like there's any fakeclaims in there. at first blush it doesn't look particularly balanced between the 4 elements

AIR
Aang
Monk Gyatso

FIRE
Azula
Iroh
Mae
Ozai
Ty Lee
Zhao
Zuko

EARTH
Bumi
Jet
June
Suki
Toph

WATER
Katara
Sokka
Yue

i assigned these based on what i remembered and info from the avatar wiki.

looks like earth and fire have more than water and air, which is interesting. means that water players in particular have strong immunities and also that their abilities are less reliable to pull off. i'd also wager that aang, being the avatar and all, might have an ability with more than one of the four elements.

thoughts?
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 53
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

So if I'm Water then a Fire nightkill would fail on me?
cayvie
Corrupt Union Official

Post by cayvie »

Long Con wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:18 am So if I'm Water then a Fire nightkill would fail on me?
"Example: A Fire Nation Vig could shoot an Air or Fire or Earth player, but their shot would fail if aimed at a Water player. There may or may not be exceptions to this."
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Long Con wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:18 am So if I'm Water then a Fire nightkill would fail on me?
If there are exceptions (rules state there might be), I’d imagine a mafia nk is at the top of the list or else there’s some really strong mafia abilities to make up for the occasional missed kill.

I’d hate to be a lone air wolf with like 6 earth kingdom peeps I couldn’t kill. So maybe the exception is that if you’re down to one type of wolf, this rule stops affecting the mafia kill.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Basically, “I wouldn’t count on it.”
Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 85

Post by Alison »

Hey all! I have an important claim to make, so please read this post!

My vote may not count at various points in the game.

There are conditions that have to be fulfilled in order for my vote to not count. I will not be describing these conditions, because I don't want the mafia to be able to take away my vote when they please. But be aware that, at some point in the game, it might be the case that nanook will post an EOD poll, it will have my name clearly voting on a wagon, and that vote will not be counted. (Or, we might reach majority with me on the wagon, and the day might not end.) However, nanook has specified that this does not apply in endgame (FX) situations, so you don't have to worry about me being a liability there.

I'm not claiming my flavor for now, because I don't know Avatar lore and nanook has mentioned that knowing it will be helpful to understanding the mechanics. Thus, I don't know if claiming my flavor will cause Avatar fans to be able to figure out the conditions that trigger the loss of my vote.

Here are some implications of this claim:

- I think it's fairly obvious that this isn't the sort of ability given to a mafia member in a role madness game. If you believe this claim, you should trust me a lot more. If you see me lose my vote, you should definitely trust me.

- Fuckery with the vote counts is a thing in this game, so be careful with the votes. If the wagons are tied and I'm on one of them, they might not actually be tied. If you have vote manipulation abilities (eg. give a player the ability to vote twice, or some such), be aware that it might be a waste to use them on me. Although I have nothing in my role that would cause us to unexpectedly hit majority and end the day, the fact that I do have vote manipulation in my role suggests precedence for vote manipulation abilities being a thing in this game, so be on the lookout for unexpected or surprise majorities.

- I won't be disclosing any other aspect of my role for now. I will make a fuller claim when I think the circumstances merit it.
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.
cayvie
Corrupt Union Official

Post by cayvie »

looks like i've played with

jack from semifinal 2

long con, carotenoid, drwilgy, and nutella from pyre mafia

exciting!!

PPE

hi Alison :D

"- I think it's fairly obvious that this isn't the sort of ability given to a mafia member in a role madness game. If you believe this claim, you should trust me a lot more. If you see me lose my vote, you should definitely trust me."

can you explain this a little? why wouldn't this be given to mafia
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

So basically, even more tie hate than normal. Got it.

I’m gonna our Alison as townlean. Less for the claim itself and more like I don’t think wolves play this shit out of the gate. See: Jack Attack, wherein this happened with like 8 townies and 0 wolves.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

I don’t want Alison to give us any more than exactly what she gave us.

Let the wolves try to figure out that shit. None of the mechanics matter from a non-Alison non-wolf perspective except don’t let there be ties.
Alison

Post by Alison »

cayvie's opener was scummy. It doesn't do much to actually help us, but it's long and brightly colored and gives the impression of effort. I'm also fairly sure that excessive setup speculation (to the tune of "what roles do you think exist? What do you think about the factions?") in role madness games is anti-town. I'm pretty happy starting out with a vote on them.

[VOTE: cavyie] aubergine

linki: Hi cayvie! It's pretty obvious, if there are going to be multiple town PRs running around, you'd expect that mafia members would be given more juice to compete, not downsides. But more to the point, mafia are already disadvantaged in terms of votes because they're heavily outnumbered. It doesn't make much sense from a theme or balance standpoint to make their vote conditionally not count.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:37 am I don’t want Alison to give us any more than exactly what she gave us.

Let the wolves try to figure out that shit. None of the mechanics matter from a non-Alison non-wolf perspective except don’t let there be ties.
I agree with this! This is part of why I was sketched out by cayvie opening with a derail into detailed mechanics stuff. I don't want people to give away any part of their roles by their reaction or response to cayvie's post, which is why I'm going to just nip it in the bud right now.
cayvie
Corrupt Union Official

Post by cayvie »

Alison wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:37 am linki: Hi cayvie! It's pretty obvious, if there are going to be multiple town PRs running around, you'd expect that mafia members would be given more juice to compete, not downsides. But more to the point, mafia are already disadvantaged in terms of votes because they're heavily outnumbered. It doesn't make much sense from a theme or balance standpoint to make their vote conditionally not count.
ehhh i dont think it's fair to describe conclusion that as obvious.
1) you've been vague about the conditions, so i have no idea how obstructive they'd be to a mafia objective.
2) i'm assuming that "having your vote blocked" isn't your only power (or at least, that there's no reason to assume it is).
3) what do you mean by "from a theme...standpoint"?

also in my experience, open discussion of mechanics would often benefit the town. my most recent example being Pyre Mafia on this site, where town was imo handicapped by a lack of understanding of the importance of the mechanics.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Theme in the sense of, the mafia are supposed to be the ones who have more information but are always outvoted. It doesn't make sense to further tie their hands with regards to voting. If you don't believe that my claim clears me, that's fine. I'm pretty sure I can make my alignment clear on play as well.

I think town needs to know about some mechanics. They need to know about my vote-block because that affects things like ties and majority, which is why I claimed. They don't need to know about who can nightkill who. The only people interested in knowing that are the mafia. I'm not saying go into it completely blind and there might well be a time where we have to discuss mechanics more seriously, but I definitely don't think D1 first post is the correct time to do this.

More generally, I think excessive focus on mechanics keeps town away from playing the game. If we're bringing up past games, town would've done a lot better in Jack Attack if they'd focused on old-school scumhunting. If you know the mechanics really well, but you have no idea who the scum is, you're still lost. If you know who the scum is, but the mechanics are a question mark to you, you're in a good position.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Was planning on posting this in the champs finale but it applies here and everywhere so I might as well do it here and repost to champs so people don’t assume I’m doing some fancy ass wolf gambit or am overly concerned with being scumread there.

Here there be self meta.
The amount I tell jokes and the amount I get down to business actually has next to nothing to do with my alignment.

I tell jokes when I see something funny. This happens more with certain flavor. Or if people set me up for punchlines. Or when I play with people like Mac, Sprityo and Epi, who I feed off of really well. I stop telling jokes when I become interested in doing things beyond telling jokes. So if I see super scummy behavior, I will stop telling jokes and start pushing the player in question. And if I see something funny, I’ll start telling jokes again. If there are serious goofy ass mechanical things, I’ll probably spend some time being serious about that. Etc.

It’s a function of the thread, not my alignment. That’s why you tend to see “Jack got serious way earlier/later last time he was town, therefore he is a wolf” said about town me. See: SF1. See also: Every game where I was onto a wolf D1.
Alison

Post by Alison »

[mention]Dragon D. Luffy[/mention], could you describe your posting style in mafia games, with a focus on frequency/quantity of posts, and whether you tend to have single long posts or lots of small fragmented posts?

It's not a fluff question, I'm going somewhere with this, I promise.

linki: Okay, Jack is town.
cayvie
Corrupt Union Official

Post by cayvie »

Alison wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:54 am If you know who the scum is, but the mechanics are a question mark to you, you're in a good position.
(tell that to the town of Pyre Mafia)

i think that game is specifically relevant here, because by the end of Pyre Mafia, due to vote manipulation powers, and the way we had planned our mechanics use, mafia basically outed ourselves because we controlled the yeet anyway. and maybe that game has left an outsized impression on how I think RMM games go on this site.

but you've identified that there's vote manipulation in this game. and that's one of the key types of roles that means that traditional scumhunting is *weaker* than it would be in a normal game.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Alison wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:38 am
Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:37 am I don’t want Alison to give us any more than exactly what she gave us.

I agree with this! This is part of why I was sketched out by cayvie opening with a derail into detailed mechanics stuff. I don't want people to give away any part of their roles by their reaction or response to cayvie's post, which is why I'm going to just nip it in the bud right now.
Counterpoint 1: Mechanics are fun and interesting. Wanting to talk about them is probably NAI.

Counterpoint 2: Cayvie at least sometimes plays a little loose and comes off looking scummy as town. I’m purposely going to try to read her as a whole instead of off one seemingly scummy thing I could see town Cayvie stumbling into.
cayvie wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:47 am also in my experience, open discussion of mechanics would often benefit the town. my most recent example being Pyre Mafia on this site, where town was imo handicapped by a lack of understanding of the importance of the mechanics.
Really really depends. Sometimes, there’s an obvious one or two ways to use a mechanic and it’s best if the wolves don’t know which way a townie will use it.

Also, townies tend to give away if they are or aren’t vt when talking about mechanics. Or so I hear. I’m not great at pr hunting when I’m a wolf. See: Dead joats everywhere in champ qualifiers.
Alison

Post by Alison »

cayvie wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:01 pm
Alison wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:54 am If you know who the scum is, but the mechanics are a question mark to you, you're in a good position.

i think that game is specifically relevant here, because by the end of Pyre Mafia, due to vote manipulation powers, and the way we had planned our mechanics use, mafia basically outed ourselves because we controlled the yeet anyway. and maybe that game has left an outsized impression on how I think RMM games go on this site.

but you've identified that there's vote manipulation in this game. and that's one of the key types of roles that means that traditional scumhunting is *weaker* than it would be in a normal game.
I mean I think it's implausible and nonsense that you would leap from "there's at least one vote manipulation ability in this game and maybe more" to "wow, scumhunting is not as useful, let's talk about mechanics instead". That's anti-town and it's awful play. I don't care what happened in Pyre Mafia. Hunting down scum and boxing them in is the way you win games, not navel-gazing about power roles.

I'm comfortable with my vote on you.

linki: If cayvie looks scummy as town, then I'm going to find them scummy since this is my first game with them. If you have specific meta that the behaviors I have an issue with are actually NAI for them, speak up. Otherwise just trust that I'll be able to calibrate my reads and get there on them being town and not just tunnel them to death unjustly.

Agree that people give away way too much about mechanics through reactions, which is why I said that I don't want people leaking information by reaction earlier.
cayvie
Corrupt Union Official

Post by cayvie »

you're the one who said there was likely to be more vote manipulation *shrug*

i fundamentally disagree with your premise that talking about mechanics/roles is antitown. *especially* in a role madness style game.

and i am irritated by your condescension toward me out of the gate. i knew that was going to be an issue coming into this game, so i'm trying to avoid tunneling you for it. but i would at least appreciate it if you toned it down a bit.
Alison

Post by Alison »

cayvie wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:10 pm you're the one who said there was likely to be more vote manipulation *shrug*

i fundamentally disagree with your premise that talking about mechanics/roles is antitown. *especially* in a role madness style game.

and i am irritated by your condescension toward me out of the gate. i knew that was going to be an issue coming into this game, so i'm trying to avoid tunneling you for it. but i would at least appreciate it if you toned it down a bit.
1) No idea what you're talking about with this condescension stuff. I think you're scum, that's all. If I wanted to talk down to you I would make it a lot more obvious. If you're reading condescension into my posts, it isn't intended. (No clue what "that was going to be an issue coming into this game" means either.)

2) Talking about mechanics/roles isn't antitown. I talked about mechanics in my opener. I'm saying the way you're going about it is antitown because it's likely to induce people to leak information.

3) I don't disagree that there's more likely to be vote manipulation, I just think it's absurd to believe that scumhunting is an iota less important because you think vote manipulation exists. If anything it's doubly important because you need to nail scum really hard before they can seize control of the exe with their abilities like they did in Pyre Mafia.
PSINightmareEmpower
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 51
Preferred Pronouns: She/her

Post by PSINightmareEmpower »

Hello everyone! I'm excited to play this game with you all--although I will say up front that I joined this game for playing mafia and not for flavor. I don't know squat about A:TLA outside of my own role and one random YouTube video that was a compilation of all the times in the show that someone made fun of Toph for being blind. So don't expect me to know anything about this stuff.

Since I'm new here I'll start with a mini-introduction. I come from a small forum dedicated to the Earthbound/Mother series, where we also play mafia. It's a very laid-back site, so it's not great for getting competitive in mafia, but it is great for playing casual games. I've played 3 total games on that site--two as mafia and one as town--and this is my first time playing off-site. Cassowary, Chardonnay, DJ Neutron Star, and Ultimate-Gamer are all players from my home site, and Carotenoid, who played in Starmen's most recent game, invited all of us here.

I'd been reading a little of Philosophers' Mafia to get a feel for Racket games, but didn't get very far, and I've also been following along with Radiohead Mafia but they got way too many pages ahead of me and I can't keep up anymore lol. So I have a little bit of a feel for Alison, Long Con, and Nutella's playstyles. So not a bad number of people to be familiar with for my first off-site game.

A quick summary of my playstyle would be that I work mainly off of intuition, so I'm more likely to get an odd tone from a post than I am to notice the scumslip. I tend to be very open with my reads and say something as soon as I get the read rather than waiting until later to flesh out a case; however, I always think maybe I should try to be more reserved and see how well that works out for me, so don't be alarmed if I don't always follow the open-reads pattern. Lastly, I'm usually very active (as in, twice as many posts as the second most active poster), but as this game is running at the busiest time of the year for me, I may be less active compared to my previous games (saying that for the benefit of those who've played with me before).

1/33
Carotenoid
Drug Dealer

Post by Carotenoid »

DJ Neutron Star wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:13 am i have no clue how a solid third of this playerlist ended up being from my home site but i guess we're rolling with it
How do you feel about that? :p Are you afraid that some of them can scumread you accurately?
ImageImage
PSINightmareEmpower
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 51
Preferred Pronouns: She/her

Post by PSINightmareEmpower »

I accidentally deleted this post and now I'm mad but I'm going to rewrite it anyway.

I'm inclined to believe Alison's claim for now. It makes sense (not entirely but you know what I mean), and I'm sure we'll find out at some point in the game whether it's true or not. I don't think she'd lie about something like that, because not only is it a super convoluted role to come up with/fakeclaim, it also gets more dubious the longer the game goes on with nothing she said would happen happening. A wolf making that fakeclaim right off the bat just simply doesn't make sense to me. I also agree with her assessment that wolves would never be given this role. It's straight up negative-utility and I simply can't see wolves getting a role like that. There is a possibility she's a wolf with a different vote-altering role that she altered to fakeclaim this, but I highly doubt it.

That was a really roundabout way of saying Alison is probably just locktown until F5 or something.

Re Cavyie: I don't think discussing mechanics is anti-town, and I think it can be helpful in certain situations, especially at the beginning of the game when we don't have a lot of reads yet (although lingering in the mechanics discussion for too long does bog down the game and give a place for wolves to hide without having to do much AI stuff so I never want to stay in that phase for very long). There are definitely ways of bringing up mechanics discussion that are scummy or anti-town, but I don't think this instance is one of them. I also don't think it encourages players to give away info about themselves. So I think what Cavyie did is NAI. However:
cayvie wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:10 pm you're the one who said there was likely to be more vote manipulation *shrug*

I am...not fond of this response. The salt in this reply is very high, and it reads like Cavyie just got overly defensive but also kinda tried to shrug it off. I don't know, voting a player is a completely normal thing to do, and accusing Alison of condescension and asking her to tone it down is a tad unreasonable. As an outside eye, I can confirm that Alison was not being condescending, and I'm seeing Cavyie as just being more defensive than they need to be about this. That's my hot take on it anyway. So I will put them in mild scumlean for now, but will save voting for later.

(Side not but Cavyie what are your preferred pronouns? You don't have any in your side column and I don't want to misgender you.)

2/33
cayvie
Corrupt Union Official

Post by cayvie »

Carotenoid wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:56 pm
DJ Neutron Star wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:13 am i have no clue how a solid third of this playerlist ended up being from my home site but i guess we're rolling with it
How do you feel about that? :p Are you afraid that some of them can scumread you accurately?
uh oh not good

panic panic panic

<3

PPE: my pronouns are she/her
cayvie
Corrupt Union Official

Post by cayvie »

PSINightmareEmpower wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:57 pm As an outside eye, I can confirm that Alison was not being condescending,
mild w/w ping for PSI/Alison here
Alison

Post by Alison »

Actually I change my mind, cayvie probably town. The indignation over being questioned about their mechanics discussion is less likely to come from scum who did it on purpose to get info. The stubbornness that they were correct to do that fits with town too. Scum just goes "okay, let's talk about scumhunting then" and shakes off the suspicions. Town sticks to their guns because they really think it helps.

Hi Carotte! Are you good at reading DJ?
Carotenoid
Drug Dealer

Post by Carotenoid »

I think Alison is probably town, not for the claim itself but for the motivations behind it. I don't know what to think of that pink color though, I thought it was a bit out of character :p

I disagree with Alison regarding Cayvie though, I think she's more on the townie side than not at the moment.
cayvie wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:01 pm

fjnerklfhnjerk good memories :goofp:

But yeah, we should be careful with "we shouldn't talk about it because it is scum to figure it out" because wolf teams are usually much better at figuring mechanics just because they have a team lol
ImageImage
Alison

Post by Alison »

We can talk about it before it becomes relevant. I'm with Jack in thinking we should be hunting and not setup speculating this early in the game. It's spinning your wheels at best. Why do you townread cayvie Carotte?
Carotenoid
Drug Dealer

Post by Carotenoid »

What is PPE? Personal Protective Equipment? Profit Per Employee? Post Poop Euphoria?
--
Alison, no, I haven't played any full game with DJ yet.
--
re: mech talk
I mean. I don't think anyone is saying we should be *exclusively* setup speculating. I do think Alison that in your reply to cayvie you twisted her words a bit so I can relate to her frustration because it seems pretty clear to me that this is not what she meant.

I think cayvie is townie because in a t!Alison world a wolf would probs be more likely to believe the claim immediately rather than try to undermine it. (her reply to your post was like 2 minutes after) Her motivation seems to be heavily experience/~emotions based in a way that's more "townie being careful" than "scum trying to discredit".
ImageImage
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 53
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Alison wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:37 amlinki: Hi cayvie! It's pretty obvious, if there are going to be multiple town PRs running around, you'd expect that mafia members would be given more juice to compete, not downsides...
We don't really have any indication that there are any power roles beyond yours, assuming we believe the claim. The OP said there are "a number" of power roles. Could be two town and one mafia or something.

Imagine this scum role: "Your vote won't count when you vote for a teammate". Damn, you MIGHT get caught with a zero vote, maybe it's best to get out ahead of that in the thread right away. :eye:
Alison

Post by Alison »

It makes no sense for nook to ever devise a role like that. Like, why? But also if I drew that role as scum I just wouldn't vote on teammates, and if I had to, nobody on the wagon would know it was me. And if it was narrowed down to me somehow I'd immediately say "I must have been targeted by a vote thief". It's not something I need to pre-emptively cover as scum.

Carotte, I'm down with your cayvie read, it lines up with what I was thinking. I have you, her and Jack as town for now. No real scumreads.
cayvie
Corrupt Union Official

Post by cayvie »

Carotenoid wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:18 pm What is PPE? Personal Protective Equipment? Profit Per Employee? Post Poop Euphoria?
--
Alison, no, I haven't played any full game with DJ yet.
--
re: mech talk
I mean. I don't think anyone is saying we should be *exclusively* setup speculating. I do think Alison that in your reply to cayvie you twisted her words a bit so I can relate to her frustration because it seems pretty clear to me that this is not what she meant.

I think cayvie is townie because in a t!Alison world a wolf would probs be more likely to believe the claim immediately rather than try to undermine it. (her reply to your post was like 2 minutes after) Her motivation seems to be heavily experience/~emotions based in a way that's more "townie being careful" than "scum trying to discredit".
PPE is pre post edit! when i'm making a post and then when i try to post and it says "5 people have posted" and i want to reply to one of them without making a whole new post.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Alison wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:56 am @Dragon D. Luffy, could you describe your posting style in mafia games, with a focus on frequency/quantity of posts, and whether you tend to have single long posts or lots of small fragmented posts?

It's not a fluff question, I'm going somewhere with this, I promise.

linki: Okay, Jack is town.
I feel sleepy just by reading your question.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Ok I post more than the majority of people, but am almost never the top poster. Usually lose to the likes of Jay/Sloonei/dunya.

I definitely make more short posts. I like to react to stuff and just post my stream of thought. There's hardly any method to how I play. Sometimes I dabble on ISOs, but past experience has shown me that doesn't work that well for me. Though sometimes I do them anyway.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Hard disagree on talking about mechanics being scummy. This is role madness. We are supposed to talk about mechanics. Maybe not ONLY talk about them, but being aware of the forces at play is healthy.

Cavvy's post saved work for a town vig, roleblocker or some other ability who might have to check a wiki to learn what roles their character can hit. The type of work that mafia can also do and post in their BTSC, so it's not like we are revealing amything new to them.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Oh yeah something else about meta.

I will discuss mechanics when I get the chance.

If you have an issue with that better start voting for me now. :beer:
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Alison prob town for the claim that kins of stuff is almost always town but sooner or later some scum is gonna get away with that so I'm afraid of calling it.
cassowary
Posts in topic: 78
Preferred Pronouns: she or they

Post by cassowary »

Hi I am here! Intro post! I know some of you already, but always nice to play in a different context!

I don't think flavor spec is that sketchy given there's a bunch of weird stuff this game... noting that the elements aren't divided evenly between characters is a handy thing to be aware of.

I believe Alison's claim as towny for now, I'm having difficulty picturing a universe where mafia votes are hindered in a way that actually makes sense, since mafia's actions tend to be more deliberate. Like, what's the point of having some kind of weird role that's negative-utility for the mafia side? Seems very strange. So I'm inclined to trust Alison's claim at least for now.
DJ Neutron Star

Carotenoid wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:56 pm
on the contrary, they're the ones who should be worried about me :p
DJ Neutron Star

PSINightmareEmpower wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:57 pm

I am...not fond of this response. The salt in this reply is very high, and it reads like Cavyie just got overly defensive but also kinda tried to shrug it off. I don't know, voting a player is a completely normal thing to do, and accusing Alison of condescension and asking her to tone it down is a tad unreasonable. As an outside eye, I can confirm that Alison was not being condescending, and I'm seeing Cavyie as just being more defensive than they need to be about this. That's my hot take on it anyway. So I will put them in mild scumlean for now, but will save voting for later.
speaking of, i'm not fond of PSINightmare leaning into the whole 'I don't know why you think this so you must be wrong' thing as a point against cayvie here

that's a hilariously easy thing to claim without substantiating, and besides cayvie being salty over being voted early seems like a leap in logic?

The quoted post itself would indicate cayvie is annoyed over personality clash here more than anything

Return to “Previous Rackets”