Occultism Mafia - THE END

Moderator: Community Team

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

Poll ended at Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:36 pm

birdwithteeth11
44%
Dom
No votes
Metalmarsh89
No votes
Mongoose
No votes
MovingPictures07
No votes
S~V~S
No votes
That's not true, that's impossible! (Host/Mod/Dead/Non-Player)
56%

Total votes: 9
Vompatti
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 53

Re: Occultism Mafia - Day 1

Post by Vompatti »

I'd rather not vote Epi because I've been enjoying his posts so far, but if I choose to be rational that's probably where my vote will go. :sigh:
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Boogs
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 37

Post by Boogs »

I start work in 30 mins so I'm going to randomize and vote for A Person.
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 35

Post by insertnamehere »

Randomized and got Niju.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Spoiler: show

Image Image Image
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 81

Post by S~V~S »

Elohcin wrote:
Epignosis wrote:7 MovingPictures07 was on a journey to the temple, as was his custom. A shepherd observed him, saying "Traveler, the means of sending forth your seed has been severed."
:haha:

Maybe Epi voted Lizzy to subtly say that he thinks I am civvie this game. He would be right.
But you randomized. How would following a random vote because he trusts you make him civ? If anything it looks like him kissing up to you.

You convinced me.

*voting Epi*
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Epignosis »

9 Beware false shepherds! Beware those who clamor for reasons on the first Day but speak with a weak tongue themselves. Beware those who accuse others of false reasoning but condemn those who speak with righteousness.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 8

Post by A Person »

Vompatti wrote:I'd rather not vote Epi because I've been enjoying his posts so far, but if I choose to be rational that's probably where my vote will go. :sigh:
That is why I'm voting Epi, I'm not sure what else to do :(
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

I guess I'm *voting Epi* since I'm not particularly suspicious of anyone else.
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Hedgeowl »

Sticking with my top posters theory for now. Looks like SVS has taken the lead.
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 65

Re: Occultism Mafia - Night 1

Post by thellama73 »

Star Search

You’re a star! the group said to Epignosis. And by “star” we mean, the one who is going to be lynched.

Epignosis has been lynched he was S. L. MacGregor Mathers

And speaking of stars, astrology has always had a close association with occultism. The doctrine handed down from the Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus that forms the basis of all Hermeticism is “as above, so below,” meaning that the structure of the universe is mirrored in the human body, and that the two can affect one another.

The movements of stars and planets was believed, not only to influence personality, but to determine all sorts of useful information, such as the ideal time to perform a particular spell or rite. Thus, a working knowledge of astrology is indispensable to any occultist who wishes to be effective.

Look at the star field above and, using rudimentary image editing software, draw a line connecting the dots in an entertaining way to form a constellation. Title your discovery and post it in the thread. The one I like best gets a prize.

You have 24 hours to send in your night actions and submit an entry to the astrology contest.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Epignosis »

11 At the end of the first Day, the heavens opened and fire consumed the earth. And there came a voice from the clouds, the voice of our Lord God Free.
Let it be known.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Elohcin
Hitman
Posts in topic: 29

Post by Elohcin »

S~V~S wrote:
Elohcin wrote:
Epignosis wrote:7 MovingPictures07 was on a journey to the temple, as was his custom. A shepherd observed him, saying "Traveler, the means of sending forth your seed has been severed."

Maybe Epi voted Lizzy to subtly say that he thinks I am civvie this game. He would be right.
But you randomized. How would following a random vote because he trusts you make him civ? If anything it looks like him kissing up to you.

You convinced me.

*voting Epi*
I didn't say he did it because he trusted my randomized vote. I said he may voted my way to subtly show he thought I was civ. Really it was mostly a joke though anyway b/c you all were talking (again) about how he is so good at reading me.

Still, I am unsure of why everyone voted for Epi b/c he was having fun with the theme of the game. That sounds like a lame excuse to be suspicious of someone. I have my eye on Epi voters.
Banners are cool, but a pain to scroll through so...
I've won a lot of games. I've hosted some games. The end.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Re: Re: Occultism Mafia - Night 1

Post by S~V~S »

I voted for him because he voted for Lizzy for no reason.
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

S~V~S wrote:I voted for him because he voted for Lizzy for no reason.
Same. :(

Image Image Image
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Here is my contribution. I'm calling it "The Nervous Horse of Mendes":

Image Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 49
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

RIP Epig. :rip:

Elohcin wrote:
S~V~S wrote:
Elohcin wrote:

You convinced me.

*voting Epi*
I didn't say he did it because he trusted my randomized vote. I said he may voted my way to subtly show he thought I was civ. Really it was mostly a joke though anyway b/c you all were talking (again) about how he is so good at reading me.

Still, I am unsure of why everyone voted for Epi b/c he was having fun with the theme of the game. That sounds like a lame excuse to be suspicious of someone. I have my eye on Epi voters.
I'm not sure why you think everyone voted him for that reason; I personally did not, and it seems Vomps and SVS did not either.

I was actually incredibly entertained by his posting and I hated to vote him for it, but he never even stated any reason why he voted for Lizzy, and considering she already had one vote cast upon her before that, it struck me as suspicious. Also, I thought a tie would be cool. But then other people voted for Epig and it was no longer a tie. (But that didn't really matter, it's really just me being silly, the real reason is his vote).

I was wrong, but I think it's silly to fixate on "Epig voters" any more than it is to fixate on voters who randomized.

Sure, there could be a baddie or even both among the Epig voters, but one is not me, and I think it's silly to set ourselves up for possibly a second civvie lynch already by concentrating on Epig voters when we really don't have any better evidence of any of them being bad than anyone else at this point, no? There's hardly been anything to base suspicions off of thus far.

Personally, I'm getting sincere vibes from S~V~S, I think Blooper's vote being cast first seemed genuine, Vompatti seems like he's actually enjoying this game and I don't have any reason to believe he's bad yet, so that leaves AP. So if any of the Epig voters are bad at this point, I'd be willing to look at AP, but not really any more closely than any of the voters who threw away their votes today. In fact, I'm a bit more apt to look that way, if anything.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I should clarify: I'm a bit more apt to look that way (at non-Epig voters) because I don't have as solid reads on any of them right now, and I believe they could have avoided responsibility for their votes.

That's not to say Epig voters can't be bad, and I'm willing to consider it, but none of the votes struck me as that opportunistic, really.

I don't know what kind of civilian votes for someone on D1 and never explains his vote, but that's what Epig did, and the things that civilians (including myself :P) sometimes do never cease to amaze me.
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 47

Post by Dom »

S~V~S wrote:Why did Epi vote Lizzy? Tedious self imposed curse is tedious~ he has quoted and made some fairly clear remarks, not sure why he could not do so here.

I am hoping to get an understandable (non pseudo Biblicalish) explanation for this. I am not holding my breath :p My other possible vote is Nutella, but i always tend to read her as opportunistic & sinister (what I find a Hedgie vote to be after it has been pointed out that she has done this high poster biz previously as a civ, which doesn't not mean she is one now, but DOES mean that it is not necessarily a baddie way to make a non accountable vote on Hedgies part) BUT BUT I almost ALWAYS tend to misread LA as being bad whether she is or not, and would hate to do so on Day One.

So leaning towards an Epi vote, but not enough that I need to vote yet. His non explanation for his Lizzy vote, and his trying to make me look icky for a non game related reason (me not recalling something that happened in another game I played, but that had no effect on me) both kinda got my eye. All the other eye getters only got my eye once, he got 2 eyes.

When I DO vote it will be from work on phone, so it is likely to be a not much said vote~ vote now, explain later.
Sherry, do you often misread Mr. Gnosis?
MovingPictures07 wrote:I should clarify: I'm a bit more apt to look that way (at non-Epig voters) because I don't have as solid reads on any of them right now, and I believe they could have avoided responsibility for their votes.

That's not to say Epig voters can't be bad, and I'm willing to consider it, but none of the votes struck me as that opportunistic, really.

I don't know what kind of civilian votes for someone on D1 and never explains his vote, but that's what Epig did, and the things that civilians (including myself :P) sometimes do never cease to amaze me.
Civvies never make votes without reasons?
and here I was thinking Elohcin and INH's votes had reasoning behind them.

Sorry I missed the vote. I am very ill and went to the doctor unexpectedly.
I would have voted Boogs.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 21
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

RIP Epi.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Elohcin
Hitman

Post by Elohcin »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I should clarify: I'm a bit more apt to look that way (at non-Epig voters) because I don't have as solid reads on any of them right now, and I believe they could have avoided responsibility for their votes.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood why you all were voting him then. You are right though...I didn't see an explanation for his vote. I agree that I wouldn't think a civvie would vote without explanation but then again I wouldn't think a baddie would either.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

here's my constellation it's called "zombies rise from the sea"

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman
Posts in topic: 31
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers/herself

Post by nijuukyugou »

Damn. RIP Epi. Your posts entertained me so, but they stood out to me more than anything on Day 1, and the unexplained vote for Lizzy struck me as odd. But I already explained that in my vote choice, and I was unfortunately wrong.

While I don't have any strong leads, I suspect there may be a baddie either among those who voted Epi after me, or in those that randomized. I (of course) don't blame a Civ (or two, or three) for seeing him as suspicious, but I could see a baddie being opportunistic and blending in with the Epi lynch. I can also see a baddie hiding behind a "randomized" vote so as not to draw attention to themselves on Day 1. Those are places I'll likely be looking today. I still wonder why Epi chose to speak biblically? I'm probably overthinking it and Eloh is right about him getting into character for the game. Wouldn't put it past him :P

Also, where is the lovely Keterman? Dom and Lizzy said why they didn't vote, but Keterman disappeared after Day 0.

Side note: nutella, your avatar makes me hungry every time I see it. Mint chocolate chip is my favorite flavor in the world :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Elohcin
Hitman

Post by Elohcin »

I call it "The Skystache"
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 63
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

Here is my submission.

It is a snail.

Weee. Love me.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman

Post by nijuukyugou »

Look, in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's The Narcissist!

(AKA I found a Bloop)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dom wrote:

Civvies never make votes without reasons?
and here I was thinking Elohcin and INH's votes had reasoning behind them.
Elohcin wrote:

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood why you all were voting him then. You are right though...I didn't see an explanation for his vote. I agree that I wouldn't think a civvie would vote without explanation but then again I wouldn't think a baddie would either.
Fair points. It would be a poor (especially on reflection, since he died) strategy for a baddie to take. I don't really think my reasoning for voting him was that strong, but I didn't think to vote anyone else as more likely bad.

And Dom, why Boogs?
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 47

Post by Dom »

Because of his fixation with Epig's opinion of Elo
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Boogs
Drug Dealer

Post by Boogs »

Sorry guys. Had a lot going on after work today and just now got home with Corsair. Rip Epignosis :/

I do think it's worth a look at some Epignosis voters without sound reason for doing it. I'm honestly surprised he got 5 votes myself.

And Dom I wasn't fixated in the least or I would have tried to get people to vote for Elohcin. I think it's weird you are fixated on me for a Day 0 comment, myself. But, it's just you being you I guess.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Boogs wrote: I do think it's worth a look at some Epignosis voters without sound reason for doing it. I'm honestly surprised he got 5 votes myself.
I would be interested if you interpret any to be the case.
Boogs
Drug Dealer

Post by Boogs »

A Person wrote:
Vompatti wrote:I'd rather not vote Epi because I've been enjoying his posts so far, but if I choose to be rational that's probably where my vote will go. :sigh:
Mp- Those two votes (Vomps and A Person) didn't really make sense. Like I totally get Day 1 is a crap shoot but Vomps said it was rational to vote him. How so?
And A Person voted Epignosis in accordance with a quote from Vomps and saying he isn't sure what else to do. Just seemed like an easy way out on that Epignosis train.

But I have to consider not all votes were in it looked like also. But we have not much to go on beside the vote record and content so far which isn't much posting.
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Boogs wrote:
A Person wrote:
Mp- Those two votes (Vomps and A Person) didn't really make sense. Like I totally get Day 1 is a crap shoot but Vomps said it was rational to vote him. How so?
And A Person voted Epignosis in accordance with a quote from Vomps and saying he isn't sure what else to do. Just seemed like an easy way out on that Epignosis train.

But I have to consider not all votes were in it looked like also. But we have not much to go on beside the vote record and content so far which isn't much posting.
It was rational because he voted for Lizzy for no reason, which was pretty much the only suspicious thing that had happened in the game by that time.

Image Image Image
Elohcin
Hitman

Post by Elohcin »

Vompatti wrote:
Boogs wrote:
A Person wrote:

It was rational because he voted for Lizzy for no reason, which was pretty much the only suspicious thing that had happened in the game by that time.
Any reason you didn't mention that at the time of your vote? It wasn't obvious to me. At the time I thought you all were voting him b/c of the way he was posting (which didn't seem rational).
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yeah, i have to agree with MP & Vomps.

In a game with one bad team, if the civvies are bandwagoning another civvie, it's like a Lotto win for the baddies. Regardless of whether the first 2 (to bring it to a tie) Epi votes were civvies (and I have no reason to think they were not) I can't see any baddies voting for him after that point. They KNEW he was not a baddie. I am most likely to be looking at people defending Epi AFTER he was numerically lynched.

I voted like half an hour before the poll ended, and 4 people voted after me. I would be pretty amazed if AP or Vomps were bad. Voting for Epi after i did would be a bonehead move for baddies. And Vomps and AP are unconventional players, but they are NOT boneheads.

Linki~ why do you keep saying that? No one else did.
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Elohcin wrote:
Vompatti wrote:
Boogs wrote:
A Person wrote:

Any reason you didn't mention that at the time of your vote? It wasn't obvious to me. At the time I thought you all were voting him b/c of the way he was posting (which didn't seem rational).
When I voted practically nothing had happened in the thread after MP mentioned the Lizzy vote (which Epi would have had plenty of time to explain), so I assumed it was obvious that was the reason for my vote. I didn't know anyone had any serious suspicions for him because of his posts.

Image Image Image
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I'm still missing some PMs, folks. Just an hour to go.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Re: Re: Occultism Mafia - Day 2

Post by thellama73 »

Thanks to everyone who entered the Astrology contest. There were many fine entries, but how can I give the prize to anyone other than Elohcin? Skystache is elegant, simple, and displays a level of cultured aestheticism that is truly praiseworthy. Congratulations, Elohcin! You will receive a PM about your prize shortly.

DIVINATION

One of the most important things when conducting a magical operation is some assurance that things will turn out as you intend. Magic is not an exact science, and there can be disastrous unforeseen consequences in meddling with the forces of nature carelessly. For example, a young mage might exercise his control of the elements to clear up the weather in order to have a nice day at the park, but the cessation of rain that was supposed to fall might harm farmers’ crops, or the rain might manifest elsewhere in more harmful ways. Hence, any occultist worth his salt always performs a divination to determine whether outcomes will be fortuitous or not.

Divination can be conducted in many different ways, but the most popular is by the use of the Tarot, renowned for its complexity and subtlety. The origin of the Tarot is disputed, but Aleister Crowley believed it to have originated in Egypt, and referred to it as “The Book of Thoth.”

A typical Tarot deck contains 78 cards. THere are four suits, wands, cups, swords, and pentacles, each corresponding to one of the four classical elements. The numbers 1-10, along with four face cards, comprise the Minor Arcana, while 22 “trump” cards bearing evocative titles comprise the Major Arcana. For basic readings, the Major Arcana alone are usually sufficient, with the Minor Arcana being brought in for more detailed readings.

Eliphas Levi’s most important contribution to occultism was his recognition of correspondences between the Tarot and other forms of magic, such a Qabalistic Tree of Life, the Hebrew alphabet, the planets, the elements, colors, scents, metals, and pretty much everything else. Used correctly, the Tarot functions as a complete dictionary of ideas related to occultism.

Other methods of divination include crystal gazing (“scrying”), astrology, and various “mancies” such as reading tea leaves or goat intestines.

Fortune cookies are not considered a reliable form of divination.

END LECTURE

The group found this information slightly more enlightening than the Alchemy lecture, “Maybe we can use divination to find out which witch is which?” said Vompatti, having a higher than usual amount of fun.

And so each of them began attempting various methods to divine who ought to be lynched. But would it work, or would they end up killing another innocent, senselessly?

No one has died. You have 24 hours to lynch a bad guy.

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Re: Occultism Mafia - Day 2

Post by Tangrowth »

For the next few days you will find no free time in San Antonio. It would behoove you to vote now. Follow your gut.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Today you will be voting for Boogs. The reasons are simple: Dom's observation, as well as his recent posts, where he tries to claim baddies would hop onto a bandwagon for Epi. Seems desperate and shady. No better reasons to vote for anyone else.

For a few days, threads will be relatively absent in your life. Be sure to tell the thread-loving people in your life that you're sorry but you're not ignoring them, just busy.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

^What o_O
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

You will meat a tall handsome strangler.

Image Image Image
Boogs
Drug Dealer

Post by Boogs »

So because Dom says something, it must be true MP? Hmm missed that in the game rules.
Boogs
Drug Dealer

Post by Boogs »

Vompatti wrote:
Boogs wrote:
A Person wrote:

Thanks for the clarification Vomps. I can see where you were coming from now.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Vompatti wrote:
Boogs wrote:
A Person wrote:

Hmm, that's actually a very well articulated and insightful post here, Vomps.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

I'm not so sure I'm down with a Boogs vote though, sug.

Is it just me or has Socky lost the plot a bit?

LIzzy, get your face in here; we need your insight, cakepop.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

To what extent to you think MP got to decide what to say in the above posts? Their structure is clearly that of a horoscope. Also, did anyone else notice he used the word "behoove"? I don't think that's a coincidence.

Image Image Image
Lizzy
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lizzy »

Right, so I tried to catch up, but I can't focus properly for the life of me. :\ Rob's vote for me did seem odd, but he's not the type of baddie who'd do silly stuff like that. It looked like he pulled another Bridget Bishop here, which sadly had the same outcome. That said, I'm not sure the baddies jumped on a civvie bandwagon.

Also, has someone hijacked Vomps' account?
Elohcin
Hitman

Post by Elohcin »

Vompatti wrote:To what extent to you think MP got to decide what to say in the above posts? Their structure is clearly that of a horoscope. Also, did anyone else notice he used the word "behoove"? I don't think that's a coincidence.
I think this is very insightful. It was Mongoose that said this on page 2:
"That selecting a particular option would behoove (or alternatively harm) them.

OR that someone else selecting a certain option would behoove or harm that other person."

Immediately following, MP said, "I love the word behoove."

Not sure his use of the word behoove in his latest posts was a coincidence. Then Mongoose comes and says she isn't keen on a Boogs vote. I am not sure how to interpret all of this but it does seem important.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Mongoose wrote:I'm not so sure I'm down with a Boogs vote though, sug.

Is it just me or has Socky lost the plot a bit?

LIzzy, get your face in here; we need your insight, cakepop.
Can you explain why you trust Boogs? Do you have anyone you DIStrust, even a bit?

What are your thoughts on Hedgeowl?
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman

Post by nijuukyugou »

When and why did Hedgeowl vote SVS? Hmmm...
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I was the "High Poster", she voted pretty close to the end.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Ooooh, I see. she voted for me again today. Is she silenced, maybe?

Return to “Previous Side Missions”