[END] Fight Club Mafia

Moderator: Community Team

Bullzeye
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 60

Re: [END] Fight Club Mafia

Post by Bullzeye »

Funny that I spent the whole game wanting to be recruited and when it finally happens the game is already over! This is also kinda my first proper win as a baddie :P
Roxy
Hitman
Posts in topic: 20
Preferred Pronouns: She, Her, Whore if ya know me

Post by Roxy »

I had a lot of fun playing! Wish I hadn't died so early!

Who killed me and why?
;)
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 100

Post by S~V~S »

You were lynched as part of the day 5 bloodbath :)
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Also MP, who was the impartial third party?
Roxy
Hitman

Post by Roxy »

Funny I usually enjoy a good blood bath - haahahah

Thanks again Sockfreak for the great game!
;)
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 162

Post by thellama73 »

Yay!
Yes, I was civvie almost all game, so it was amusing to watch you guys think I was bad, and then gratifying to finally become bad.

I was the Private Investigator.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Roxy
Hitman

Post by Roxy »

One more thing --

Friendly advice to Alex -

When you do a mass kill for non-participation maybe you can factorin the fact that when you do that sometimes you kill active players - maybe a new formula is in order? maybe if the players have voted in the previous lynch or posted. X amount of times during the day period.

I enjoy mod-killing as much as anyone so please take this as friendly meaningless advice. <3
;)
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Oh, and I want to clarify. Near the end of the game when I was attacking Alex's hosting in thread, it was completely insincere and I was just trying to distract people. I secured his permission before saying anything, although it did not work as well as I had hoped.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 88
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Fight Club Mafia - PHASE ONE
Narrator – The unnamed narrator initially pursues the ideals of Fight Club with Tyler Durden until becoming disillusioned. Has anonymous BTSC with Tyler Durden for a specified period of time. Narrator cannot be recruited to Project Mayhem. Wins when Tyler Durden is dead. (Secrets) Sends one message to Marla via the host every night. Once Project Mayhem has reached five members, he begins alignment checking a player of his choice every night. He loses anonymous BTSC with Tyler Durden at this time as well.

Marla Singer – The woman who drives the divide between Tyler Durden and Narrator. Marla cannot be recruited to Project Mayhem. Wins with Narrator. (Secrets) She will not fight; in fact, she will not enter any fight clubs. As of the start of Day 1, she does not post under her regular account but under a unique sockpuppet account, Marla Singer. She has access to all fight clubs, but cannot post or vote. Sends one message to Narrator via the host every night.

Policemen – Actively attempt to stop Project Mayhem to keep order in the city. Once Project Mayhem begins, they collectively search one player of their choice every night for suspicious activity. If they find a member of Project Mayhem, they kill them. All Policemen have BTSC with each other. All unrecruited Policemen win when Tyler Durden is dead.

Private Investigator – Hired when at least one player has died during a fight. He knows the identity of all Policemen, but they do not know his. Assists the Policemen by investigating one player of his choice every night. He compiles all the information he can on his target, including whether they have been engaged in suspicious activity, and sends the relevant information to the Policemen in the form of a report.

Civilians – No role power. Win if they survive until end of the game, unless recruited to Project Mayhem.

Subliminal Message Decoder – The first player to uncover and address the content of the host's signature will be given this role. The role's alignment is dependent upon the alignment of the player who earned it; as such, the role is kept in addition to the player's previously assigned role. The Subliminal Message Decoder watches Fight Club religiously; every night, he spots a message hidden in the film, and if he successfully decodes it, he gains inside knowledge about the game and its players.

Tyler Durden – Tyler Durden is relentless in pursuing the ideals of Fight Club and the destruction of society’s status quo. Has anonymous BTSC with Narrator for a specified period of time. Wins when Project Mayhem is complete and when all unrecruited Policemen are dead. (Secrets) Recruits one member to Project Mayhem every night, but can only recruit from his current location. Members of Project Mayhem do not share BTSC with Tyler or each other, but at the start of every day each member receives a message containing the mission that Tyler selects to be performed for that period, as well as the updated list of identities of Tyler and their fellow Project Mayhem members. Once Project Mayhem consists of three or more members, each member begins sending in a PM every night with the name of the player they most want to die, as well as a number from 1 to 5. The player with the most votes has a chance of dying determined by the numbers selected by the members; if there is a tie, the player selected to die will be randomized among all of those with the most votes. Additionally, the higher the number selected in conjunction with the victim’s name, the higher chance the selected player has to die (ranging from 20% for “1” to 100% for “5”, with each number corresponding to an increase of 20%). However, higher numbers also increase the probability that a randomly selected Project Mayhem player will die as well (ranging from 10% for “1” to 50% for “5”, with each number corresponding to an increase of 10%). Project Mayhem is complete when all of Tyler’s missions have been successfully completed. A mission that is failed cannot be attempted again until another mission is attempted first. Narrator cannot die at any time; if he does, then Tyler loses the game. As the Narrator's creation, he is the only one who knows Narrator's true identity.

Missions of Project Mayhem:
1+ Members: At least one member of Project Mayhem must stay in the same location for four straight periods after being recruited and must vote for the same individual to fight each time, until or unless that individual transfers or dies. If that individual transfers or dies, then the member of Project Mayhem must find a new victim and vote for that same individual to fight each time for the amount of periods that remain, and so on, until the four straight periods have been satisfied.
1+ Members: At least one member of Project Mayhem must receive enough votes to be entered into a fight in a location where every Fight Club member in that location received the same number of votes to fight during the same day period (i.e., everyone ties).
3+ Members: All members of Project Mayhem must vote for the same individual to die on the same night.
3+ Members: At least three members of Project Mayhem must submit the name of a fellow Project Mayhem member to die during the same night period.
3+ Members: All members of Project Mayhem must vote for the individual who loses their location's fight during the same day period.
3+ Members: All members of Project Mayhem must submit the name of any Policeman to die on the same night.
4+ Members: Members of Project Mayhem must occupy at least four different locations during the same day period.
5+ Members: All members of Project Mayhem must enter into fights during the same day period. Survival not necessary.
5+ Members: All members of Project Mayhem must avoid receiving any votes to fight during the same day period.
10+ Members: Maintain membership of ten or more members for three straight day and night cycles.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

LOCATIONS
- Despite being assigned to a hometown, players have the choice to stay at their hometown or relocate to any of the other cities: Wilmington, DE, Delaware City, DE; New Castle, DE; or Penns Grove, NJ.

- Starting Night 4, the players have the choice to relocate to more locations, with a new one opening every night: Chicago, IL; Dallas, TX; Atlanta, GA; Los Angeles, CA.

- Any location currently with 2 or less players will be shut down.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

FIGHTS
- Fighting skill levels range from a minimum of 1 to a maximum of 20.

- All players start at a skill level of 1 + 1 for each player they recruited pre-game, and gain skill based on their performance in fights.

- The players who receive the first and second most votes within their fight club are entered into a fight.

- The winner of a fight is determined by Skill Level + d10 roll (1 - 10) + 5 for winning the fight challenge; the minimum number of points a player can consequently have is 2 and the maximum is 35.

- Any player who is seriously injured three times will die upon the third time.

Outcomes of fights: An outcome is determined by how many more total points a player has when combining the d10 roll and their skill level over the losing player:
0 - 0: No one is injured; no skill level is earned by either party.
1 – 4: Loser is not seriously injured; 1 skill level is earned by the winner.
5 – 8: Loser is seriously injured and must sit out the next day; 2 skill levels are earned by the winner.
9 – 33: Loser dies; 3 skill levels are earned by the winner.

Night challenges:
Night 1 - Post as many posts as you can during the night; each post must contain at least three sentences of on-topic discussion. The winner will be selected by an impartial third party as having "contributed" more.
Night 2 - Draw a picture of either Narrator, Marla Singer, or Tyler Durden. The winner will be determined by an impartial third party.
Night 3 - Come up with your own "I Am Jack's ____" phrases and post them throughout the night. The phrases can be relevant to the game, your fellow players, or absolutely nothing. The winning phrase will be determined by an impartial third party.
Night 4 - Post as many posts as you can during the night; each post must contain at least three sentences of on-topic discussion. The winner will be selected by an impartial third party as having "contributed" more.
Night 5 - Do not move to another Fight Club location tonight, but convince more to go to another location than your opponent.
Night 6 - Move to another Fight Club location tonight, but convince more to stay at the current location than your opponent.
Night 7 - Post as many posts as you can during the night; each post must contain at least three sentences of on-topic discussion. The winner will be selected by an impartial third party as having "contributed" more.
Night 8 - Draw your own Fight Club movie poster! The poster will be judged for creativity and substance. The winner will be determined by an impartial third party.
Night 9 - Devise your own Fight Club mini-script! The literary creation will be judged for creativity and substance. The winner will be determined by an impartial third party.
Night 10 - Post as many posts as you can during the night; each post must contain at least three sentences of on-topic discussion. The winner will be selected by an impartial third party as having "contributed" more.
Night 11 - Post with an intent to spread discussion; more players must directly quote your posts than your opponent's.
Night 12 - Select your very own fighting song and post it in the thread. The song will be judged on which is the more appropriate soundtrack of being the shit out of someone. The winner will be determined by an impartial third party.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

My sig was:

The first player other than Narrator to successfully uncover the identity of Marla Singer must sent me a message revealing that correct answer, and in doing so will win a prize.

Shift +7.

Text coder reveals: f, i, g, h, t, c, l, u, b

More on this in later discussion!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Fight Club Mafia - PHASE TWO
Narrator – The unnamed narrator initially pursues the ideals of Fight Club with Tyler Durden until becoming disillusioned. Narrator cannot be recruited to Project Mayhem. Has BTSC with Marla Singer. Once Project Mayhem has reached five members, he begins alignment checking a player of his choice every night.

Marla Singer – The woman who drives the divide between Tyler Durden and Narrator. Marla cannot be recruited to Project Mayhem. Has BTSC with Narrator.

Policemen – Actively attempt to stop Project Mayhem to keep order in the city. Once Project Mayhem begins, they collectively search one player of their choice every night for suspicious activity. If they find a member of Project Mayhem, they kill them. If they find Tyler, nothing happens. All Policemen have BTSC with each other. All unrecruited Policemen win when Tyler Durden is dead.

Private Investigator – Hired when at least one player has died during a fight. He knows the identity of all Policemen, but they do not know his. Assists the Policemen by investigating one player of his choice every night. He compiles all the information he can on his target, including whether they have been engaged in suspicious activity, and sends the relevant information to the Policemen in the form of a report.

Subliminal Message Decoder – The first player to uncover and address the content of the host's signature will be given this role. The role's alignment is dependent upon the alignment of the player who earned it; as such, the role is kept in addition to the player's previously assigned role. The Subliminal Message Decoder watches Fight Club religiously; every night, he spots a message hidden in the film, and if he successfully decodes it, he gains inside knowledge about the game and its players.

Civilians – No role power.

Tyler Durden – Tyler Durden is relentless in pursuing the ideals of Fight Club and the destruction of society’s status quo. Has anonymous BTSC with Narrator for a specified period of time. Wins when Project Mayhem is complete and when all unrecruited Policemen are dead. (Secrets) Recruits one member to Project Mayhem every night. Members of Project Mayhem share BTSC with each other and Tyler. Every night, they select the player they most want to die, as well as a number from 1 to 5. The higher the number selected in conjunction with the victim’s name, the higher chance the selected player has to die (ranging from 20% for “1” to 100% for “5”, with each number corresponding to an increase of 20%). However, higher numbers also increase the probability that a randomly selected Project Mayhem player will die as well (ranging from 10% for “1” to 50% for “5”, with each number corresponding to an increase of 10%). Project Mayhem is complete when all members of Project Mayhem outnumber the other players in the game. Narrator cannot die at any time; if he does, then Tyler loses the game. As the Narrator's creation, he is the only one who knows Narrator's true identity. Every night, he attempts to force the Narrator's subsequent day vote with a 50% success rate. At one point throughout the game, he may send a message to Narrator, asking him to resist. If the Narrator complies, he is killed; if he does not, nothing happens.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

S~V~S wrote:Black Rock-Tyler

iirc, recruit order:

me, Russ, DH, LC, Daisy, Hedge, Unfurl, llama, Bullz
This recruit order is correct. Black Rock recruited every night.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

PLAYERS
Narrator - Kate
Marla Singer - juliets
Policemen - Hedgeowl, insertnamehere, Long Con, Russtifinko, Spacedaisy

Civilians - AceofSpaces, bea, birdwithteeth11, Boogs, Boomslang, Bullzeye, Devin the Omniscient, DharmaHelper, DisgruntledPorcupine, Dom, Elohcin, Flyin' High, FZ., JJLehto, johns2jj, Keterman, Kylemii, Leamiteo, Metalmarsh89, Mister Rearranger, Mongoose, Nevinera, nijuukyugou, Sorsha, S~V~S, thellama73, timmer, unfurl, Vompatti

Tyler Durden - Black Rock
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Phase Two was triggered when the first recruit was uncovered by the Policemen. As you can tell by the recruits, the Policemen were compromised very early.

I randomized all the roles, as always, and I think they turned out decent -- but sadly, Kate had trouble keeping up with the game, and having a relatively inactive Narrator definitely tipped the balance of the game away from them early on, so that's why I had Kate "vanish" and had a contest to replace her (the Fight Club 2 script). Only unrecruited Civilians were eligible to win the Fight Club 2 Script and the winner was timmer!!

Funnily enough, timmer had just won the Decoding challenge in my signature not long before that, so even though Narrator couldn't win the Decoder challenge because Narrator and Marla could exchange messages (and thus defeat the purpose of the challenge, since Narrator would know who Marla is), ironically Narrator ended up being the role with the Decoder tag.

I had the mass modkill mechanism in mind from the beginning, but never did I imagine the kills would be THAT much, especially in the final challenge. I honestly expected some inactivity due to the twisted nature of the game, even though I still thought it was relatively uncomplicated (almost no one had powers), but not quite to the degree it was there.

This last poll (Day 10) was absolutely meaningless. It was meant just to burn time for Phase Three. Phase Three was really just activated when Tyler successfully managed his win condition in Phase Two; it gave Narrator and Marla ONLY (not other unrecruited civilians) the chance to actually still win the game -- by guessing Tyler correctly with just one guess. Unfortunately, despite the insane amount of effort juliets and timmer put into this game, timmer didn't guess correctly.

I'm sure there's more, but I have to run for now, so be back soon!
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Who was the secret message decoder and did they ever succeed at spotting any hidden messages?

Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Hedgeowl »

Wahoo! :lorab:

Police were: INH, Russti, Spacedaisy, Long Con, Hedgeowl.

We clearly did an awesome job keeping the peace with our one successful kill of DH before we were totally compromised. I liked the balance of the PI knowing all of our identities too. Although it was quite the surprise!

Things I really enjoyed about this game were the traveling between fight clubs, all the mystery about fighting and subsequent results and a civ btsc group of police. Thanks for the awesome game MP!
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
unfurl
The Mark
Posts in topic: 78

Post by unfurl »

yay! :fiesta:
Im glad I was in the winning side at the end, thanks for recruiting me BR
unfurl
The Mark

Post by unfurl »

ah Now I know how DP died
and also it was so cool the night I got to fight, it was something I do for a living / draw a picture (graphic designer) anything else I would very likely end up losing XD
I was only recruited until day 8, so before then when bwt and sorsha were accusing me of being bad for killing dp I was still civvie :p

canuck, why did you thought I was tyler?

The whole traveling places was something that I liked a lot, and I bet it was complicated as a host with so many players
Thanks for hosting MP
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 40

Post by Canucklehead »

It's so funny.....reading through all this stuff I can see how this game must have been awesome for those of you who were involved in it, and how there was so much going on BTS, and it looks like so much fun! :dance:

.....but as an unrecruited civilian (one of the only ones left by the end of the game, it seems) who had no connection to any of the funsies, it was really hard to stay involved/invested in the game, and it (honestly) felt pretty blah from my point of view. Flashbacks of being picked last on the playground, or of being on the outside of the cool group and all that... :P

:consoling:

Seriously, though. I don't mean this as a criticism of MP in particular (I totally recognize and appreciate the work and skill and craft that went into making this game, and it's clear that almost everyone had a great time with it), but it is a thing that I notice with games with central recruitment mechanisms: it often feels like the dichotomy between the civs (isolated, uncertain, etc) and the baddies (who get a much more communal/co-operative experience) which is inherent to mafia becomes amplified 10000-fold in recruitment games, where the civs often have no or little powers, and any basis for trusting your colleagues is inherently undermined by the fact that they could be recruited at any time. It really does feel to me that being unrecruited in these types of games is like playing an entirely different (and totally less fun) game than everyone else is playing, which is frustrating and alienating. It's an issue with the recruitment mechanic itself, I think, and I'd honestly love to see hosts try some creative ways to stem the inevitable isolation and disconnection that can occur as a civ when you KNOW that there's so much of the game going on that you really have no part in. Maybe this has been attempted already during my (long) mafia hiatus....or maybe I'm the only one who finds it problematic? I dunno. Just my thoughts on the issue :shrug:

Does that make sense at all?? Again, I'm not trying to shit on MP and his game, just musing about how the really cool mechanic of recruiting (which I have had GREAT fun with as a recruiter and a recruit) can be made equally fun for the other side.....

Anywho...
:)
:lorab:
:omg:
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer

Post by Canucklehead »

^^^^That really, really, really sounds whiny and petty and I didn't mean it to and I tried not to make it so.....but it still comes across as petulant.

.....so how about you all just imagine that I'm saying those words wearing a silly hat and a false moustache? :llama:
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Canuck, it was totally strategy, once we found the cops, then the PI. the only non stratgy recruit I can think of was Bullz, and I asked to recruit him because he specifically asked to be recruited.

I wanted to kill more cops (ANARCHY!!) And recruit more civs , but recruits were pretty much a sure thing, kills weren't :shrug: and the cops had to go.
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer

Post by Canucklehead »

S~V~S wrote:Canuck, it was totally strategy, once we found the cops, then the PI. the only non stratgy recruit I can think of was Bullz, and I asked to recruit him because he specifically asked to be recruited.

I wanted to kill more cops (ANARCHY!!) And recruit more civs , but recruits were pretty much a sure thing, kills weren't :shrug: and the cops had to go.
Totes. I get it and am not biter (honestly, I'm' not).
I'm not whining about not being recruited personally, it's more like I'm whining about the fact that there will always be those who are unrecruited, or recruited last, in recruitment games, and just wondering if there might be a complementary mechanic that hosts could employ to keep those Stalwart Civs-to-the-end from feeling like they're sitting at the party table with just a fork and a plate while everyone else is eating cake.

.... :huh: .......

Pardon me. Must go eat cake now.
:noble:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone, and also the constructive criticism. Regarding modkills and the recruitment aspects, taken into consideration. I actually have ideas for a recruitment-based game in the future that should be quite different, but it probably won't be hosted for quite some time. I'd be interested to see what anyone else can do with it as well.

This game was a HUGE experiment from my part -- splitting the game into two (well, three) phases, the first phase itself, the modkills, etc. I tried to set it up and balance it the best I could, but it was so difficult to tell how the game was going to go.

It may have seemed stacked against the unrecruited civilians, but really, Tyler's win conditions in both Phase One and Two were quite difficult. All it took was a BR or timmer death and the game would have been over.

thellama73 wrote:Who was the secret message decoder and did they ever succeed at spotting any hidden messages?
Timmer! I explained a bit about how he became that role in my last post; he can elaborate on the content of the messages and how successful he was, but personally I thought he did a really good job at it.
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 43

Post by Hedgeowl »

Canucklehead wrote:
S~V~S wrote:Canuck, it was totally strategy, once we found the cops, then the PI. the only non stratgy recruit I can think of was Bullz, and I asked to recruit him because he specifically asked to be recruited.

Totes. I get it and am not biter (honestly, I'm' not).
I'm not whining about not being recruited personally, it's more like I'm whining about the fact that there will always be those who are unrecruited, or recruited last, in recruitment games, and just wondering if there might be a complementary mechanic that hosts could employ to keep those Stalwart Civs-to-the-end from feeling like they're sitting at the party table with just a fork and a plate while everyone else is eating cake.

.... :huh: .......

Pardon me. Must go eat cake now.
Cake or death? Cake, please. :D

I totally know what you mean though about recruitment style. I think the same can be said for any btsc though. It is always more fun to have secret btsc in a game, so I always enjoy the experience of being thrown together with a random group for evil's sake. :feb: However, the police was sort of a civ version of that that just got absorbed by mayhem instead of being killed off.

In some ways recruitment is the answer to give some the "fun" of btsc without starting off that way. But it does zap the energy from posting in thread sometimes. I know in Inh's Sherlock there was so much btsc going on (open btsc free for all game) that the thread was almost dead.
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I must admit, I didn't anticipate the Policemen to be so incredibly infiltrated so early on... that definitely helped Tyler big time. I suppose I should have suspected it would happen when BR was randomized Tyler and LC a Policeman, but it was a dynamic I thought would be interesting to see play out.

If all of the Policemen hadn't been recruited so early, it would have been really interesting to see the PI and unrecruited Policemen hunt for the recruited person... something I saw to some degree with the LC lynch, but that was the extent of it, since it was obviously the best strategy for the baddies to recruit Llama at that point.
Black Rock
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Black Rock »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
S~V~S wrote:Black Rock-Tyler

iirc, recruit order:

me, Russ, DH, LC, Daisy, Hedge, Unfurl, llama, Bullz
This recruit order is correct. Black Rock recruited every night.
I want to just say why each person was recruited. I only could recruit by location at first. I started with SVS and I wanted her on my team. She is very smart and good at being evil. I chose Russ because I didn't know Russ at all. There would be no connection. DH came to my town and I knew DH would love to be recruited. I didn't know people suspected him already at the time. I recruited LC to show off my role, it was better than his. That never happens. We got BTSC at this point so we found out all the rest of the police so the next moves we made was to eliminate the threat since they already got DH. It only took me so long to get Unfurl because I needed to get rid of the police threat. I wanted Unfurl for the same reasons I wanted SVS. After llama took down LC it was either kill or recruit him, he was better as a recruit because no one would suspect him. Bullz was recruited while I was out of town, SVS Facebooked me for approval, I thought it was a good idea. That was our very awesome team. I was very proud of them. They never screwed up with non-participating or anything.

I'm sorry I had to be so absent the last bit of the game but I had to put the possibility of making tons of money ahead of mafia. I literally was in the middle of nowhere and a 4 day concert. I forgot my password to this site and then with 25,000 people with cell phones my network sucked. I worked from 9am until 3 am. I just couldn't do it. It was not an excuse at all and it did effect my game play.

To our dear host, I have never had so many :feb: as answers. It was an awesome evil game. Thanks for putting up with my endless PM's and forgetfulness. I have never had such an awesome, complex role. I have never played recruitment, I have always hosted it. It was such a new different experience. Thank you for trusting me with this role.
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Thanks, BR, and thanks again, everyone. I hope I didn't offend anyone by modkilling them, but I thought it would be a good game (opportunity) to institute that mechanic, and as a host I almost always try to punish non-participants in some way, shape, or form. I was hoping it would spur participation and I figured at some point it would catch a bad guy, but it just didn't turn out that way.

I knew being an unrecruited civilian would be sort of boring, inevitably, but I was hoping the unconventional nature of Phase One would keep people interested enough, and that switching them to the side of Narrator for Phase Two would adequately address the nature of being invested in the game. There were definitely some ways I would improve this game, now, having hosted it, but I'm glad it was hosted and I definitely had a blast hosting it!

I'm sure there are questions I haven't addressed, so feel free to ask away if there is something I haven't touched on!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Also, a note, typically I'm a weirdo who doesn't let dead baddies win alongside the living baddies, but I felt LC and DH both deserved a win here.
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 52
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Cool game! We (the Police-baddies) knew my time was likely up when the PI (Llama) checked me and sent the cops a message that I was bad. I thought I could maybe take Llama down and at least kill the PI before everyone turned on me, but I pushed too hard and people got suspicious of me. Timmer, had you alignment-checked me?

Either way, at least my death got us the PI. As soon as we knew the PI knew my identity, we just watched for someone coming after me in the thread. Once we determined it was Llama (after a cross-reference with his eloquent and interesting PM communications to the police confirming it was him), we had to recruit or kill him. Luckily for him, he was recruitable. :D

Thanks for your solid vote of confidence in the end there Keterman, it was good to know that my sob-story Civvie acting convinced SOMEONE I was not bad. I thought it was cool how your complete belief that I was confirmed Civvie actually exonerated you from being a baddie. That's a rare one, I'd wager.

I think a mechanic where missing a vote puts you with an extra vote on yourself for each lynch thereafter might be a good way to punish... maybe missing more votes can get more severe, like: miss 1 vote, +1 vote on you thererafter.... miss 2 vote, +3 thereafter.... miss 3 votes, +6... miss 4 votes, +10. And so on. Then you'd get death for non-voters eventually. Maybe you could even have a hard-working mechanism of shedding the extra votes through solid participation.

Linki: Sweet, thanks for the win, Host! Yeah DH, my teammate I never got to be with! :noble: :noble: :noble:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Long Con wrote: I think a mechanic where missing a vote puts you with an extra vote on yourself for each lynch thereafter might be a good way to punish... maybe missing more votes can get more severe, like: miss 1 vote, +1 vote on you thererafter.... miss 2 vote, +3 thereafter.... miss 3 votes, +6... miss 4 votes, +10. And so on. Then you'd get death for non-voters eventually. Maybe you could even have a hard-working mechanism of shedding the extra votes through solid participation.
I did this exact thing in Bioshock Mafia, and I'd say it worked pretty well. I thought about instituting it again here, but I enjoyed mass killing more, and I'm a weirdo who doesn't like doing the same thing twice. :p :feb:

Given how many people failed my challenges (which shocked me), I probably should have used it again here.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I did at one point experiment with subtracting 1 fighting skill level from players who missed a vote, but I only did that once since I didn't really think it played out well.
timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 101

Post by timmer »

S~V~S wrote:Llama was a civvie until right after the LC lynch.

And no you don't, Timmer.
LOL, in this case, I do. I'll explain. So Alex tells me, late yesterday in btsc, that I've got this one last chance to win, I just have to guess who Tyler is. Because I've been both the narrator AND the decoder, I've been "in the know" about countless mechanics in this game. I had decoded most of the missions, etc. ages ago. And I had accumulated notes on over 20 sheets of paper trying desperately to find Tyler through the early votes. So here it was, my big chance.

I knew Tyler had to be in a fight club to recruit someone, and that DH had to have been recruited by night 3, so that ruled a few people out. I knew Flyin High had been dormant for 4 days until Canuckle subbed in, so that ruled HER out. I told Alex that if the llama was Tyler, I give up on mafia forever, there's no way so that crossed llama off the list. I had my one last alignment check and used it on BWT, and I knew he was clean so he was off the list.

And so it went, using my decoding knowledge about the missions etc. and in the end, I had everyone ruled out but SVS and Mister Rearranger. I guessed SVS to be it seemed most likely that you had recruited BR and then LC and then DH.

So where did I go wrong???

The polls!!!! I was using all of the night polls to figure everything out, and I ruled out Black Rock because on Night 4, there was no one in the fight club with her who had been recruited, thus there was no way she was Tyler. Only, I never relayed that Long Con had just fought and been injured in that fight club, and thus was off of the poll!!!

:evileye: :evileye: :evileye: :evileye: :eek: :eek: :eek: :blush: :blush: :blush: :( :|

My siggie.
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

@Long Con, no I didn't alignment-check you, you were, in fact, the one person Juliets and I successfully sniffed out in this game. And actually, I shouldn't include myself in that, JC sniffed you out early without my help, I was fixated on bullz at the time. When it came to your lynch, we had guessed llama's role, and we had long decided you were bad, so I went along with the bullshit case brought against you, lol. I've been on the receiving end of that kind of case, and I totally understand your frustration. Sometimes, info roles have to push cases that are otherwise weak, and hope others glom on, and that's what happened to you. It sucks, but it beats the other option which would have been llama saying "wink wink guys, just trust me, LC is bad, I KNOW it, wink wink". imo, llama did it all correctly :)

I utterly failed in this game. I had all of these missions I knew about, and every time i thought I found a baddie in the voting polls, I was wrong! Long Con, even you, I was technically wrong about. I thought you had been recruited Night 1 or 2, because you abruptly started staying in one fight club and voting yourself to fight over and over. But I guess you were still civ then?

@Alex this game was a HOOT. After the disaster that was my time in Recruitment Mafia, I jumped into this game determined to stay focused, and while I never accomplished a single thing (LOL) I DID stay focused! I've never had so many notes written down in my mafia life!

Great game and congrats to the baddies, honestly, none of you ever really stepped out of mine at all. You were, in strict "reading the thread" terms, pretty much impossible to find. Except for russtifinki. I guess in the end I was right about him. :noble:
My siggie.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Indeed!!

After timmer went after BR with his comments about likely Tyler or recruit, I wondered if the fate of the game would be altered at the last moment, and instead we'd be looking at only timmer and juliets winning. It came so close!
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 54
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

timmer you used good logic and thats all anyone can ask for. It's easy to miss something like LC having stayed in his location because of serious injury.

I liked the role of marla and tried so hard when I just had one message a night to Kate in the beginning. I used that one message to send her complete reports, even quoting some dialogue but certainly capturing everything that happened, about all 4 cities including who was in them on whatever day i was capturing, who fought from there , who won and who got hurt, seriously hurt, etc., in addition to the dialogue. I spent countless hours on this - and then found out my "narrator" had basically not been playing! (No offense to Kate she's got a lot of things that can get in the way of mafia). Luckily I got timmer as a narrator but he didn't have time really to read all the back notes and then many things came out in the open. Oddly, I don't even mind as I saw doing all that as just a part of the role. I loved all the comments directed to marla while I was lurking. You just didnt know I couldnt talk.

timmer was great at the decodings and we knew a lot of stuff that we tried to use. We caught on to spacedaisy as the game was ending because she had stayed in one place days 2-5 (day 5 picked on night 4) and we knew from the missions they had to stay in one place for 4 nights. Unfortunantly, that also told us she was not tyler. I thought timmer gave the best guess he could give. If i had been there I probably would have wanted to guess unfurl since she always appears so sweet and has theories.

Thanks MP for the very intriguing and fun game. I think I agree with you that maybe instead of modkilling the player should have received one vote and progressed on from there for missing a vote or not participating. Roxy wouldnt have been modkilled under those parameters I don't think. Don't know about the others. But all in all it was a great game and I enjoyed it very much. You can tell a lot of work went into it.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

@juliets, SD wasn't recruited until Day 5! We were wrong about her, too!!! :noble:
My siggie.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

timmer wrote:@juliets, SD wasn't recruited until Day 5! We were wrong about her, too!!! :noble:
Oh no! That didnt register when i saw the recruit selection order. Oh well...
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
unfurl
The Mark

Post by unfurl »

juliets wrote:. If i had been there I probably would have wanted to guess unfurl since she always appears so sweet and has theories.
Hehe I will take it as a compliment :noble:
But I really dont get why people thought me being nice and having theorys equals being recruited early on
I never have been meany to people ever in a game, I think, so yeah I dont know why
maybe isbecause I did not thought I was going to be recruited

After being recruited, I did thought you were going to call me out on something JC,
I did wanted for the game to end, cause I was starting to feel few people were gonna start to call me out more
maybe it was just the paranoia :D

I also thought that timmer will not guess that tyler was me, as I understood the narrator had btsc with tyler in some point, so by reading, I think it would had been very obvious by my english that I was not tyler
But I dont know if timmer got to talk to BR or just Kate? probably would had been more confusing 2 people talking
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I figured Timmer had some sort of “sudden death” secret; I thought it was related to the fight. I thought maybe he could kill Tyler, or one of the recruits, in a fight. I kind of figured he thought I was bad, but could not prove it, so I had to walk a very thin line in our fight. When I didn’t die, I figured it had to be something else, but I knew he had to have something up his sleeve. I was pretty paranoid during the fight.

I spent the last few days playing “to” Timmer; if he was going to look at anyone in Project Mayhem, I wanted it to be me, not BR.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

timmer wrote:Sometimes, info roles have to push cases that are otherwise weak, and hope others glom on, and that's what happened to you. It sucks, but it beats the other option which would have been llama saying "wink wink guys, just trust me, LC is bad, I KNOW it, wink wink". imo, llama did it all correctly :)
Thank you, Timmer.This is why I generally dislike info roles. When you know someone is bad and have to kill them to win the game, it's really hard to discipline yourself not to just say so. I really tried to be as convincing as possible, but I still felt bad because I knew my case was weak and disingenuous.

timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

@svs, I had you down as one of about four people who were most likely tyler so I tried a little suicide move. I knew how the fights worked and that I had a small chance of killing you outright which would have been a boon but I also knew that there was a small chance I would die. if you died and you were tyler I would win. if I died at all tyler would die and the civs (minus me) would win.

since so many civs were inactive and since I couldn't figure anything out I thOught it was a worthy late stage hail Mary.
My siggie.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

thellama73 wrote:
timmer wrote:Sometimes, info roles have to push cases that are otherwise weak, and hope others glom on, and that's what happened to you. It sucks, but it beats the other option which would have been llama saying "wink wink guys, just trust me, LC is bad, I KNOW it, wink wink". imo, llama did it all correctly :)
Thank you, Timmer.This is why I generally dislike info roles. When you know someone is bad and have to kill them to win the game, it's really hard to discipline yourself not to just say so. I really tried to be as convincing as possible, but I still felt bad because I knew my case was weak and disingenuous.
llama, this is why i voted Kyle. We had you figured out as the PI, and voted with you on LC so even though there wasn't great evidence for Kyle I thought for sure you had checked him and he was bad. That was probably after you got recruited. After kyle didn't pan out I thought you maybe weren't the PI.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

juliets wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
llama, this is why i voted Kyle. We had you figured out as the PI, and voted with you on LC so even though there wasn't great evidence for Kyle I thought for sure you had checked him and he was bad. That was probably after you got recruited. After kyle didn't pan out I thought you maybe weren't the PI.
Yeah, I got recruited right after the Long Con kill, which was great for my credibility. :D

DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 18

Post by DharmaHelper »

I love getting a win without doing anything.
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Bullzeye
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 60

Post by Bullzeye »

DharmaHelper wrote:I love getting a win without doing anything.
That's how I got my first win ever! Died night one, my team won anyway. Best sort.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Bullzeye wrote:
DharmaHelper wrote:I love getting a win without doing anything.
That's how I got my first win ever! Died night one, my team won anyway. Best sort.
Bullz and I actively worked against our team for the majority of the game, and still won!

bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 55
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

Lots of fun everyone!! Well done mafia and well done host!
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

oh yes I forgot to congratulate BR, unfurl, llama, bullz, SVS, daisy, russti and hedge for doing such a great job of keeping yourselves out of trouble, not making any mistakes. Whoever it was that commented on looking at BR because she said she was looking for LC in one of the cities was right on target. You guys did a great job and yay for your win!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Previous Jobs”