62%

Total votes: 13
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 815
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Re: Arrowverse Mafia - Day 0

Post by Sloonei »

Epignosis wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:19 am I'm going to bed.

I just remembered there is another workday in this godforsaken week.
But school is done, didn’t you hear?
My banners:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Ultra wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:18 am
Sloonei wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:13 am
Ultra wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:11 am
Sloonei wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:04 am @Ultra
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:45 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:40 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:37 pm Trust me on this: If you want to hone your Mafia skills, a classic Syndicate game like this one is worth your while. No claims, no info- just stare into people's souls on the Internet.
Philosophical disagreement since claiming, fake claiming, info complexity aid depth to games. I'm totally for copless games but no claim is weird for me. I'll adapt though.
Got any impressions on particular players so far?
Just soft ones atm.

I think Epi comes off somewhat better than you do
Explain
nah
Why not?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange
Posts in topic: 351

Post by MacDougall »

Holy lots of posts already you guys
DFaraday
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 69

Post by DFaraday »

In answer to some popular questions:

The game continues until either the civs or baddies are eliminated, or Deathstroke is LMS. The Legends can achieve their win condition without ending the game. They can win with any faction except Deathstroke. Rip can recruit any role that is not un-recruitable, including Mafia.

Also the plan players suggested earlier would effectively be asking a player to roleclaim, so it's right out.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Ultra
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 201

Post by Ultra »

Sloonei wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:21 am
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:40 pm

Philosophical disagreement since claiming, fake claiming, info complexity aid depth to games. I'm totally for copless games but no claim is weird for me. I'll adapt though.
Just soft ones atm.

Explain
nah
Why not?
im tired
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

DFaraday wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:31 am In answer to some popular questions:

The game continues until either the civs or baddies are eliminated, or Deathstroke is LMS. The Legends can achieve their win condition without ending the game. They can win with any faction except Deathstroke. Rip can recruit any role that is not un-recruitable, including Mafia.

Also the plan players suggested earlier would effectively be asking a player to roleclaim, so it's right out.
So once legends achieve their wincon they just up and leave

well in that case I totally change my mind

get @me cult
Ultra
Stool Pigeon

Post by Ultra »

So I guess felicia should go for deathstroke or prometheus.

If rip hunter hits a scum he can learn the rest and potentially cannibalize em lol
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Ultra wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:32 am
Sloonei wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:21 am

Just soft ones atm.

Explain
nah
Why not?
im tired
Too much pizza will do that.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 86
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

Hello, I’m alive and haven’t played mafia in a long time it feels lik
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 pm Let's decide whether or not a thing is pingworthy, gang.
speedchuck wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:13 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:10 pm
speedchuck wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:08 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:02 pm @Ultra what does your scum hunting look like? What types of games are you used to playing, mechanics/setup-wise? What kind of pizza did you get earlier?
This is, like, the opposite of what I saw last game. :ponder:

Also hi guys
What did you see last game?
Ultra has hesitant to interact with the thread, which is why I voted him D1. He spoke mostly to Nova, who was answering whatever was thrown his way. Some weird dependent thing.

This game, Ultra has already made a hot take and claimed that he's going to flex on the thread (not hesitant), and you're buzzing him with questions as if he needs the help. (Where Nova was just whatever about it)

Enough for an early townread on Ultra. Not sure what to think of all your questions yet. Feels kinda like fluff, but it's also something you do with new players.
The highlighted portion feels tacked on and arbitrary. Speedchuck has shared a straightforward read about Ultra when prompted. He then adds a nothing read on Sloonei which acknowledges that he is observing Regular Sloonei Behavior, but quibbles over it anyway. Why does this non-read on Sloonei exist?
I 100% agree with speedchuck. I don't trust you at all.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:43 pm I've got Ultra and Sloonei as civilians. Anybody else want to join the party?
I don't feel good about how easy you are giving Sloonei a townpass.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

sprityo wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:31 am Hello, I’m alive and haven’t played mafia in a long time it feels lik
Are you caught up?
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

So far I feel ok about speedchuck and ultra. Sloonei, nutella, Epi and MafiaMenace ping me. Sloonei mostly. He doesn't seem sincere but if I am right he'll tie himself in knots eventually so keep posting Sloo Sloo.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Nutella I am a bit torn on. I feel like she has more suspicion on Sloonei than she is voicing.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Epi giving Sloonei a town pass already shits me off.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

This game has a good cast. There are invariably going to be some solid and prolific players who have rolled anti town here because of how many anti town roles there are and they will be trying to control the narrative... because they have to.

Concurrently if you are a civ and can give top effort I want some balls to the wall here. We aren't winning this on info. Civ voices need to dominate the thread. I want 150 pages. I want a bloodbath of analysis. I am going to be ruthless if you are phoning it in and I expect better of you. You know who you are.
Creature
Made Man
Posts in topic: 129

Post by Creature »

How are we doing?
Creature
Made Man

Post by Creature »

Y'all post more than I do
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Posts in topic: 23
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

Hey everyone! love these dc shows. Should be fun! Looks like I have a lot to catch up on already.
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 223
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Yo.

Just a heads up, my activity will be very limited until sunday, since I'll be having classes this weekend, so bear with me.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 pm Forgot that the felicity player can't just post results

In that case, what we might want to try a coordinated effort to allow the felicity player to "claim indirectly"

Here's what I'm thinking, if all of us come together and decide on D1 that nobody is allowed to cast a vote, except for the felicity player who casts a vote on her peek, we get whoever we want out D1.

This doesn't break the claiming rules as far as I understand, because anybody can still step forth and vote. But if someone else does vote, we'll still know one is felicity and one is scum. So still a net +
That's not gonna fly, just like any other attempt to break the claiming rule.

That said, you will be surprised at these people's ability to catch hints and figure how roles even without claiming (doesn't include me, I suck at catching hints).

Eventually something will come out.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:34 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:31 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 pm Forgot that the felicity player can't just post results

In that case, what we might want to try a coordinated effort to allow the felicity player to "claim indirectly"

Here's what I'm thinking, if all of us come together and decide on D1 that nobody is allowed to cast a vote, except for the felicity player who casts a vote on her peek, we get whoever we want out D1.

This doesn't break the claiming rules as far as I understand, because anybody can still step forth and vote. But if someone else does vote, we'll still know one is felicity and one is scum. So still a net +
This would be angleshooting and would be a violation of rules. And there’s no way to get players to buy in. And it is absolutely not worth the loss of civilian votes on Day 1. This plan would set us way back.

I propose we stick to the gameplan of making noise and hunting scum.
You sound like you're dismissing this out of hand way too easily. Strongly disagree, we should try to extract as much value out of our informational roles as we possibly can. If not my way, then some other way.

Angleshooting like this only arises because no claims in set ups like these are awkward
This setup would be completely unplayable if claiming was allowed.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:11 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 pm Civilians must vote to keep their heels on the throat of mafia. Any plan that recommends civilians do not vote is suspect to me.
I would speculate that Ultra probably just comes from a community that's more accustomed to roleclaiming and mechanical hijinks than we are. He's thinking outside the box and, like speedchuck said before me, he's being very proactive and throwing himself into the thick of things right off the bat here, which contrasts with his Scrimmage entry.

I think he's town. He's just looking at the game from a different vantage point than the Syndicate is used to.
I actually wanted to comment on this. In my community, we do closed role madness set ups which allow role/character claiming in most cases, but by design, do not allow claiming to give too much of an advantage (and often, a counter advantage). We minimize the amount of roles that are actually alignment indicative and this encourages play which focuses on the social aspect more than the mechanics.

So I wouldn't describe myself as a mechanical player. But if I see a free lunch, I'm going to eat it.
You can design a game like how you are describing, or you can make one like this and ban claiming, because damn we aren't missing the chance to play this delicious Arrowverse setup just because some people are used to claiming.

Both are valid ways to think. Personally I'd rather have multiple options when I'm making games. I've made both types myself.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:19 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:16 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:11 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 pm
Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:04 pm I think you allow Felicia to determine that.
Can you see how the reflexive suggestion to "just let the info roles do their own thing man" in a no claim/info set up is kinda suspicious.
No.

Whatever information civilians telegraph in the thread is information the mafia have. There is no advantage.

I cut my teeth here. DFaraday games are my kind of game. I want the civilians to use their roles in accordance with their best judgment. Some of the roles in this setup would make even me nervous if I were bad.

Let them do their job. If you are good, your job is to help lynch mafia.
Finding a way to broadcast peeks itt is beneficial to scum. Ok.

I'll drop this point when I'm satisfied that there's no avenue here to extract valuable info from info roles. But I have not played a no claim set up with cops because, quite frankly, it's very awkward and defies the point of including them. For example, the felicia player or whoever else could drop hints or breadcrumb but I would assume that's also against the rules if my proposition is.

So when I see you suggest "let them sort it out", you're effectively saying "do nothing"
This has been the setup on The Syndicate for years. It isn't the case so much anymore, but DFaraday is a relic here.

I'll speak plainly: I am not one bit concerned with using info roles or worrying about what Night actions people perform.

I am going to enjoy an old school classic Syndicate YOU USED AN ADVERB and enjoy myself in the bargain.
Oooh reminded me I should mention in my Girl Genius thread it also bans claiming. Maybe it will help get old school players.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Oof Ultra wanted to drop the discussion and I made 4 posts about it. Sorry.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Ultra is town.

Sloonei hasn't done enough to warrant trust yeah but so far he is okay. Don't feel like lynching him. He is a bit trickier to read compared to Jay (his mafia twin) because civ Jay tends to be suffocating, while civ Sloonei is a bit more contained in that regard. He leads but he doesn't completely dominate the thread.

Nutella feels good but I want more time to be sure.

Mac feels good but my Macdar is currently in the trash and I'm waiting for the new one to arrive in my mail.

Epi is whatever, he is saying cold hard truths but mafia can do that just fine.
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 58
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

I'm caught up now but I hate to see what this thread looks like when I get home from work.

I also saw a completely different Ultra in the scrimmage game so I feel comfortable with a civ read on him at this point. Jury is out for me on Sloonei, I'm not ready to call him good or bad. I need to see more behavior. I have a slight town read on Mac because I think his point is right on - we need to be balls to the wall, dominating the posts if we want to win. We'll see if these reads hold up over time.

Also, I have never in my mafia experience heard the word "cult" in relation to a faction. What exactly does that mean?

I'm off to work soon, will be home this afternoon sometime.

linki: multiple posts by DDL - will read after posting
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:47 am Ultra is town.

Sloonei hasn't done enough to warrant trust yeah but so far he is okay. Don't feel like lynching him. He is a bit trickier to read compared to Jay (his mafia twin) because civ Jay tends to be suffocating, while civ Sloonei is a bit more contained in that regard. He leads but he doesn't completely dominate the thread.

Nutella feels good but I want more time to be sure.

Mac feels good but my Macdar is currently in the trash and I'm waiting for the new one to arrive in my mail.

Epi is whatever, he is saying cold hard truths but mafia can do that just fine.
Lol about your Macdar!

I can't read Epi worth a damn especially when he won't answer questions like "why Mata" (I mean, I don't think she's even posted has she?).
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

I feel like Epi does that kind of silly play every game and I won't take it very seriously.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Cult = any faction who can recruit. Usually starts with a single member and has the goal of outnumbering the rest.

That said the classic cult tends to win alone and make the other factions lose. This seems to be a more benign cult. Also cults are usually forbidden from recruiting mafia, which is not the case here.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

I have a huge day tomorrow working the Australian election and seeing my goat band afterwards. Big chance I won't post for 36 hours from now. Smash em civs.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Mac announcing his tinfoil on me right away is pretty on point.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:01 am Cult = any faction who can recruit. Usually starts with a single member and has the goal of outnumbering the rest.

That said the classic cult tends to win alone and make the other factions lose. This seems to be a more benign cult. Also cults are usually forbidden from recruiting mafia, which is not the case here.
Ok, thanks for the explanation DDL.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Creature
Made Man

Post by Creature »

Damn those classes bore me to the bone
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Creature wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:38 am Damn those classes bore me to the bone
What thoughts do you have on the game so far? Do any individual players stand out to you at all?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Creature
Made Man

Post by Creature »

Sloonei wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 am
What thoughts do you have on the game so far? Do any individual players stand out to you at all?
I don't have thoughts until I catch up from the beginning all way there, but we can talk abouy something. I have about 10 minutes left.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Creature wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:44 am
I don't have thoughts until I catch up from the beginning all way there, but we can talk abouy something. I have about 10 minutes left.
Where do you come from and what’s your usual style of play? What type of game/setup are you used to?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Creature
Made Man

Post by Creature »

Sloonei wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:46 am
Creature wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:44 am
Where do you come from and what’s your usual style of play? What type of game/setup are you used to?
I'm used to setups with only one evil faction and definitely no cult.
Creature
Made Man

Post by Creature »

Also idk about my playstyle, it may change according to the game pace. Though I'm known for making 20+ posts in a row when I'm inspired enough.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Creature wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:49 am Also idk about my playstyle, it may change according to the game pace. Though I'm known for making 20+ posts in a row when I'm inspired enough.
What sort of things do you look for when you’re reading people?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 70

Post by speedchuck »

Sloonei wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:27 am Mac announcing his tinfoil on me right away is pretty on point.
But when I do it you gripe. :pout:

Yes, I know that he was more direct about it.
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

speedchuck wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:51 am
Sloonei wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:27 am Mac announcing his tinfoil on me right away is pretty on point.
But when I do it you gripe. :pout:

Yes, I know that he was more direct about it.
My gripe was with you going out of your way to say nothing about me. :meany:
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

MacDougall wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:44 am So far I feel ok about speedchuck and ultra. Sloonei, nutella, Epi and MafiaMenace ping me. Sloonei mostly. He doesn't seem sincere but if I am right he'll tie himself in knots eventually so keep posting Sloo Sloo.
Would like to hear more about MafiaMenace in like 36 hours
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 390
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:31 pm

This would be angleshooting and would be a violation of rules. And there’s no way to get players to buy in. And it is absolutely not worth the loss of civilian votes on Day 1. This plan would set us way back.

I propose we stick to the gameplan of making noise and hunting scum.
This is why I prefer anticlaim to just no claiming rules. How much everyone skirts the line is different. If you make the line “where the mafia will catch you” instead of “how much the host doesn’t want to modkill” you will get a game that is played more by the spirit of the rules AND softing becomes a skill instead of just kinda sorta cheating.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

speedchuck wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:53 am
MacDougall wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:44 am So far I feel ok about speedchuck and ultra. Sloonei, nutella, Epi and MafiaMenace ping me. Sloonei mostly. He doesn't seem sincere but if I am right he'll tie himself in knots eventually so keep posting Sloo Sloo.
Why not nutella?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Sloonei wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:57 am
Why not nutella?
Because he already explained his nutella ping
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

speedchuck wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:57 am
Why not nutella?
What did you think of it?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Epignosis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:39 pm
Creature wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:27 pm
Creature wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 pm Hi I'm new how do I play?
idk, how do you play?
Only one forward for pawn; any horizontally or vertically for rook; L shape for knight; any diagonally for bishop; any horizontally, vertically or diagonally for queen; and one horizontally, vertically or diagonally for king.
I dig this cat.
Ya’ll are going to get along great.

Two of the most frustrating players. :haha:
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Sloonei wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:59 am
speedchuck wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:57 am
Why not nutella?
What did you think of it?
I don't agree with it. I don't suspect him for it.

That's why I didn't ask about it.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

MafiaMenace wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 pm
Ultra wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:49 pm Hot take

Felicity player should use her one shot on Rip Hunter to prevent Cult Shenanigans
at first glance cult looks pretty harmless early game, in my personal opinion it should be spent on someone like deathstroke, it brings down the average kpn from 2.5 (i assume) down to 1.5

i dont see any posts of ultra that would let me make a read as they are all pregame fluff which happens or strategic thinking which comes from both alignments
I agree with this.

The maths change on if we can win with the cult or not but I’ve played several games were the scum team was fairly obvious but we couldn’t eliminate them because nks overpowered lynches. I’ve also played several games where the sker shot a goon or two and got lynched, which made the game a huge uphill battle for the wolves.

Don’t lynch the sker at mylo. Do lynch the sker on D1 or D2.

It’s kinda bullshit to take the hardest role to win as and use a one shot to eliminate it immediately though.

Return to “Previous Jobs”