DFS Mafia [ENDGAME]

Moderator: Community Team

Who is Big and Sexy and Failing Tonight?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:30 pm

abyssum
No votes
ColinIsCool
6%
DharmaHelper
No votes
JaggedJimmyJay
No votes
Kylemii
No votes
Lunalee
No votes
MacDougall
No votes
Marmot
No votes
M Plus 7
No votes
Russtifinko
No votes
sprityo
59%
Tsaiah
No votes
Turnip Head
6%
Big Sexy (The Host, the Non, the Dead)
29%

Total votes: 17
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 215

Re: DFS Mafia [Day 0]

Post by DharmaHelper »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:31 pm
Infected_alien8_ wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:24 pmWhat sort of level of hubris would you expect, or specifically talking what response would you expect from him?

What exactly would you expect from him?
Playful arrogance, or a hardball answer, or something befitting a proud man.
Infected_alien8_ wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:24 pmWould you say it's out of character for him to do something like that as Town then?
It's not what I expected to see. I won't pretend I have played a ton of games with DharmaHelper, but I have still been around the site a long time and know well the persona he carries around. It's part of his charm, a charm which is nowhere to be found in this game so far.
You're saying a lot of shit abut how you expect me to play but like... not a lot of shit about how the way I'm currently playing translates to mafia behavior.

I guess that's like....my strongest point or whatever.
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:30 pm I dunno man believe what you want my dude. I haven't read any (Or I guess at this point 99.5%) of Day 0 and I don't really intend to at least until Day 1 starts. I'm busting MP's balls for posting a million times per page because its fun, and we're friends, and the fact that he's posting a million times per page makes me want to catch up 100% less.

What else did you take issue with? My lack of hubris? I dunno man, that's like...your opinion man.
Am I bad?
I don't know yet.

ImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 615
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:33 pmYou're saying a lot of shit abut how you expect me to play but like... not a lot of shit about how the way I'm currently playing translates to mafia behavior.
Mafia members are often uncomfortable in highly active games, especially the very beginning, and this sort of out-of-character timidness would be representative of that sort of discomfort.
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Infected_alien8_
The Mark
Posts in topic: 266

Post by Infected_alien8_ »

[mention]DharmaHelper[/mention] did you find it suspicious M Plus 7 held off for so long making the rainbow lists?
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:36 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:33 pmYou're saying a lot of shit abut how you expect me to play but like... not a lot of shit about how the way I'm currently playing translates to mafia behavior.
Mafia members are often uncomfortable in highly active games, especially the very beginning, and this sort of out-of-character timidness would be representative of that sort of discomfort.
I've been playing mafia for 10+ years.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Infected_alien8_ wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:37 pm @DharmaHelper did you find it suspicious M Plus 7 held off for so long making the rainbow lists?
I don't know how long he held off exactly but him posting so frequently you'd think if he wanted to he could have posted that pretty list of names at any point. :shrug: Not a vote-getter for me but if I was paying attention that'd be something I'd pay attention to.

ImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:38 pm
I've been playing for a long-ass time too, and I'm a prideful bastard.

I am speaking as much from experience as from theory. Nobody is immune to human nature.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange
Posts in topic: 426

Post by MacDougall »

Infected_alien8_ wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:15 pm @JaggedJimmyJay why did you say that Mac wouldn't like your stance on his slip if you didn't actually think it was a slip?

Also for anyone who's played with Mac, is his response to the slip thing telling at all? Would he have such a strong reaction as a Townie do you think?
Here's a little genuine insight on me that might help you better understand me in general. I only feel the need to express this because most of what you're being told about me is incorrect.

There is a lot of meta on me on this site that I tend to use to my advantage when I am Mafia because it's easy to fake but when I am town it generally hurts me. People say town Mac "is aggressive, flings shit, posts a lot, make people mad, is an asshole etc.". This is not entirely accurate of my town games. Unless I am put under pressure, have a lot of time (or too much coffee) or see someone or someones post something pingy I tend to just post memes and have a laugh as town until invariably some big dicked motherfucker (usually Golden or Jay) comes along and accuses me of not being on meta which makes me act that way and actually perpetuates the meta on me.

I do just throw a lot of accusations out there in the early game though, I do this as both alignments, and Jay is right that they are generally based on something. I try to see scum nervously breaking the ice before having been engaged because I think that is generally harder for scum to produce natural content unprovoked than it is to just go with the flow and engage with the dialogue once it's established. This is why I have a reputation for being right on day 1 because I have made seeing that scum nervous "sup guise" bullshit my talent.

Basically my biggest problem as a civ is that when I don't come out controlling shit on day 1 people go "where's that town Mac I know, must be scum Mac" and it pisses me off so I overreact. It is so simple minded to me (which is probably unfair because I am the only one inside my own head) that I generally no u them out of incredulity. But given that is not alignment indicative it annoys me that so many people naturally lean towards assuming that means I am scum (when I am more WANT to actually fake and try) than town (when there are a ton of documented games where I gave zero fucks). So I am really pinned down on this site by a very well established but mostly incorrect meta. It was really never more clear to me that it was a problem until Firefly.

This game is the first time I have straight up tried to fake my town meta as town because I was mislynched day 1 as the main character of fucking Firefly in a game I really wanted to play for not being what everyone thinks I am. I have faked my town meta plenty as scum but I usually look for posts that look like the kind of posts that ping me (because town make them too it's just very slight differences that I tend to pick up on that differentiate the town ones from the scum ones). I faked it here but being that I am not Mafia I was less careful and didn't put quite so much thought in the posts I was picking out.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:41 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:38 pm
I've been playing for a long-ass time too, and I'm a prideful bastard.

I am speaking as much from experience as from theory. Nobody is immune to human nature.
It sounds more like you're trying to fit me into your box and I could give a fuck.

ImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:43 pmIt sounds more like you're trying to fit me into your box and I could give a fuck.
The conversation has clearly run its course, so I will just allow others to say what they think.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:45 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:43 pmIt sounds more like you're trying to fit me into your box and I could give a fuck.
The conversation has clearly run its course, so I will just allow others to say what they think.
Don't ask for the sauce if you can't handle the heat. :shrug:

ImageImage
ImageImage
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Eye on Lunalee. She has a small amount of posts but each one she feels much more aware of the game happenings than i would expect from a person with four posts. That her first post was a joke reply to my wall of genders felt like her forcing her way into the thread to find an opportunity to break the ice.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason
Posts in topic: 189
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Post by Kylemii »

i died :(
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Welcome to my life
Russtifinko
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 70
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Russtifinko »

MacDougall wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:25 pm I do have one comment.

The suggestion that I am to have "scum-slipped" while not understanding the how of it rings false to me. I cannot think of a scenario in which I have ever made a clumsy post as scum and not known immediately afterwards in every way that it could be construed as scum, so to claim I don't understand my own scum slip is a fairly adventurous call. I am meticulous with my posting as scum and will draft and redress all my posts constantly so for me even scum slip would be rare let alone scum slip and not know how.

I would have thought that Jay wouldn't entertain the notion that Mafia Mac is that clumsy, hence why I think it reflects worse on him.
I actually really like this point. When I'm a baddie, I tend to triple- or quadruple-read my posts and edit endlessly to avoid being caught. (This is probably why I vote earlier as a baddie - posting under pressure is that much more stressful.) I guess the fact that scum slips occur means either 1) not everyone does this or 2) people don't see their own slips even after edits, but it does make sense to me that an experienced player like Mac would know better. I tend to associate scumslips with certain players in particular, and Mac isn't one of them. I don't think it's a bad look for anyone that pointed it out, and I do think of Mac as a strong NO U-er. The one thing that looks bad to me about the whole thing is the original accuser (Someone help - was it Alien?) making a post after Mac responded that, to paraphrase said, "Well, I didn't say it was a scummy thing to say, just that it could be scummy. That is just crazy waffle-y, and furthermore it reads as a bit of pre-emptive defense since no one was going after him(/her? it?) about it.

The more I think about it, the less I like it. "I thought Mac scum slipped." seems like a pretty easy way out of a revenge lynch. Does the accuser (again, I think Alien, but I lost the post) know Mac? If not, I think it's possible Alien was throwing out things to see what stuck, and was surprised by the vehemence of Mac's response. Which a well-meaning civ could do to fish for baddies, but in combination with the waffling is fishy. (Eww, fish and waffles.)

Then there's this...
MacDougall wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:32 pm Okay one more post.

This might make me look bad but fuck it, it's important to be honest. Jay was right. My gut reads were less than inspired in this game compared to the normal. I just got mislynched on day 1 in the Firefly game for not seeming like myself because everyone has such a fixed meta understanding of what "town Mac" looks like that I felt obligated to do it.
How do you know your reads are uninspired?? It's not even Day 1 yet! This is a weird thing to say.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:23 pm I am pointing out any little thing I don't like and hammering the point home until I am satisfied (if ever). If you expect anything less than that after Ass Class, then you need to seriously re-orient your assumptions.
What is Ass Class? Asking for a friend. :Uhh:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

Gah, I left the first half of my post on another tab! I forgot how many tabs mafia requires. (For me, about 20 for most posts.)

Posting that now. Also I'm voting for some sports. Anyone think the poll matters for the game. Do people still do that in games? I remember Epi's polls almost always mattering in the past, but that was for full-sized games. Also I think I saw that sprityo voted the non-player option, which I think I've seen Epi modkill people for.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 pm Me: Alrighty fuck it time to buckle in and catch up

MP: I think I'm gonna post eight times in a row now.

Me: Oh ok I'll go watch a movie then.
Right?!? To reiterate, everyone: 12 pages. On Day 0. Before we can even vote, and less than 24 hours into the game. Holy wall of text, Batman!

I skipped pages 6-10, and only read posts that were 1 or 2 lines long on pages 11 and 12. I will try to go back and read more as time permits.
M Plus 7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:53 pm
Russtifinko wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:31 pm
M Plus 7 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:50 pm So I’m the only player to have experience and/or history with every other player here. I can provide meta and such if necessary. I prefer not to rely on it much though. But feel free to ask me and I will provide opinions on whatever assuming I haven’t already.
Only on page 2 of 6 so far. (6 pages on Day 0??? Welcome back, me!) MP, please provide your meta on me. May be helpful since most here don’t know/won’t remember me, and I might find it amusing. Thanks!

Also fwiw, I have a town read of MP based on his enthusiasm and a slight town read on Mac based on his baseless accusations so far. Those are some of the o key players who I have decent meta reads on.
RUSS! Dude! :yay:

If you keep reading you’ll find it I did little blurbs on everyone

I can find it and mention you though when I get back to computer if necessary
I found it, thanks! It's my favorite post so far. You nailed that I post few posts but they're always huge and usually triple. Like this trio. :ponder:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

Why is there a phoenix presiding over a burning city now, btw? So much has changed!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Russtifinko wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:04 pm
How do you know your reads are uninspired?? It's not even Day 1 yet! This is a weird thing to say.
I didn't think at all hard. I was uninspired. I'm not saying they were wrong. May yet be right.
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

MacDougall wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:00 pm
I didn't think at all hard. I was uninspired. I'm not saying they were wrong. May yet be right.
Fair, I guess. I'm bummed this is the only thing you (or anyone) has responded to, though.

JJJ, Alien? I see you lurking!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

What else have you written I could have replied to?
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 46

Post by Epignosis »

ColinIsCool wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:13 pm Did I use whom correctly there, Epignosis? It sounds wrong.
You absolutely fucked that up. "Who" is a subject. "Whom" is an object.

The best way to remember this is to boil your sentence down to its basics:

"I won't be voting for anybody whom is new."

Take out the extra stuff. "Whom is new."

Change the "Whom" to another objective pronoun. "Him is new."

You sound dumb, right?

Who = he
Whom = him

"I won't be voting for anybody who is new."

"Who is new?"

"HE is new!"

Tada.

Go forth and impress your friends.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

MacDougall wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:16 pm What else have you written I could have replied to?
The big one for me is, if your reads were uninspired, does that mean you're totally discounting them and starting fresh from here? 90% discounting them, and they'll hang in the back of your mind until something solid forms? Actually still committed to them, but unable to produce evidence you think ould convince others since it's so early?

You could've also selected:
  • Do you think I'm right that Alien is waffling? If so, is it a baddie look?
    Should I have read the whole thread word for word? Is it a baddie look that I don't have more urgency about it?
    Is Alien now, at this very moment, lurking? (Answer: yes.) Is it a baddie move? What about JJJ?
    Do you think the poll means anything?
    What is ass class?
There are probably others, too. Instead of going for any of them, you gave me this:
which gives the appearance of answering one of my questions (the one that comes closest of anything I wrote to being an indictment of you). However, your answer, which is really a clarifying statement about what you meant by "uninspired", doesn't offer anything substantive that I can use to dig deeper, and actually is fairly waffle-y on its own.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

Hmm, that list is bad. Note to self: Separate "list" tags for each item in a list. Also, preview your posts.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Russtifinko wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:04 pm I actually really like this point. When I'm a baddie, I tend to triple- or quadruple-read my posts and edit endlessly to avoid being caught. (This is probably why I vote earlier as a baddie - posting under pressure is that much more stressful.) I guess the fact that scum slips occur means either 1) not everyone does this or 2) people don't see their own slips even after edits, but it does make sense to me that an experienced player like Mac would know better. I tend to associate scumslips with certain players in particular, and Mac isn't one of them. I don't think it's a bad look for anyone that pointed it out, and I do think of Mac as a strong NO U-er. The one thing that looks bad to me about the whole thing is the original accuser (Someone help - was it Alien?) making a post after Mac responded that, to paraphrase said, "Well, I didn't say it was a scummy thing to say, just that it could be scummy. That is just crazy waffle-y, and furthermore it reads as a bit of pre-emptive defense since no one was going after him(/her? it?) about it.

The more I think about it, the less I like it. "I thought Mac scum slipped." seems like a pretty easy way out of a revenge lynch. Does the accuser (again, I think Alien, but I lost the post) know Mac? If not, I think it's possible Alien was throwing out things to see what stuck, and was surprised by the vehemence of Mac's response. Which a well-meaning civ could do to fish for baddies, but in combination with the waffling is fishy. (Eww, fish and waffles.)
The original accuser was alien, though he has never played with Mac before. How does this impact your perspective?

Also, Ass Class = Assassination Classroom, a recent side mission.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Russtifinko wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:15 pm JJJ, Alien? I see you lurking!
That's something I've never heard before. :eek:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

If the poll means anything, I would guess that it impacts the contestants rather than the players. Who knows though.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 46

Post by Epignosis »

I have $910 in play tonight.

I'm winning $911.

A dollar.

Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Russtifinko wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:41 pm
MacDougall wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:16 pm What else have you written I could have replied to?
The big one for me is, if your reads were uninspired, does that mean you're totally discounting them and starting fresh from here? 90% discounting them, and they'll hang in the back of your mind until something solid forms? Actually still committed to them, but unable to produce evidence you think ould convince others since it's so early?

You could've also selected:
  • Do you think I'm right that Alien is waffling? If so, is it a baddie look?
    Should I have read the whole thread word for word? Is it a baddie look that I don't have more urgency about it?
    Is Alien now, at this very moment, lurking? (Answer: yes.) Is it a baddie move? What about JJJ?
    Do you think the poll means anything?
    What is ass class?
There are probably others, too. Instead of going for any of them, you gave me this:
which gives the appearance of answering one of my questions (the one that comes closest of anything I wrote to being an indictment of you). However, your answer, which is really a clarifying statement about what you meant by "uninspired", doesn't offer anything substantive that I can use to dig deeper, and actually is fairly waffle-y on its own.
1. My friend without looking back I cannot even remember who I made reads on and what way that is how much I was bullshitting about them.

2. Yes I think your analysis of how Alien dealt with it is astute. The way he accused me and has proceeded to ensure that it came across less provocative than it may has reminds me of the hand in the cookie euphemism.

3. No I do not have concerns of your alignment as a result of you not reading every word. In fact as I intimated, I associate meticulousness with Mafia.

4. If Alien is lurking yes it is a baddie look because it solidifies the idea that he is doing what was referenced in point 2, as a bad guy. I am null on Jay. He is too good to give a hall pass ever and should always be looked upon with some doubt in my opinion.

5. Yes I am imagine the poll means something. I could not begin to fathom what.

6. Ass Class was a game we played recently (Assassination Classroom) in which a scum team flawless victoried a civ team that contained Jay until the very end that was very good and enjoyable to play.

7. I am at work, the fact that I am giving you any of my time should be appreciated rather than taken for granted as not being good enough.

8. The question I answered was the one that was directed at me specifically in an accusatory tone. The fact that I am at work and peeking in between tasks makes me feel more encouraged to focus on things that relate to me.

9. My answer is what it is. An honest appraisal of the situation. What would a non waffly answer have been?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 1094
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Good evening!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I wonder if my salary is being determined at least in part by my post count.

If so, sorry contestants, but I'm still worth every penny. :slick:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Infected_alien8_ wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:40 pm
M Plus 7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:03 pm
Infected_alien8_ wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:38 pm
abyssum wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:22 pm
Infected_alien8_ wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:54 pm
M Plus 7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:49 pm
Infected_alien8_ wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Also, although I get your perspective of 'confidence in reads could be coming from confidence after winning those games', personally that isn't my impression, it feels more like he's just town-reading people because he's trying to post content but struggling to genuinely find things suspicious/worthy of questioning as Mafia or wanting to pocket them, the 'confidence from champs' thing isn't something I sense personally either
UGH, STOP. Lol. That is not true. Where are you getting this impression? How can clarify anything I've said so far?
Just the ease you have with slapping down people as Town, it's very different to how you were in the champs. In champs you'd enter the thread with questions for basically everyone. Any town-reads you had always felt sort of thin, like you respected their ability to fake it, so you leaned Town but always wanted everyone to constantly be wary. This game you're just sort of throwing out town-reads and it feels like you're buddying with people, like when you said to someone 'we can solve this game together in both our town mindsets' or something along those lines.

I know this is a different forum and you know people well here, and that could be the explanation, it's just not something I feel right now, it just feels off to my gut, especially since colin also agreed and he's played before. I asked people who've played with you before if you are like this usually with people you know, though, and if it turns out you are then fair enough, but right now I'm suspicious of you
/butts in

maybe this is a difference in perspectives. one of the reasons that i started townreading MP7 in champs was because the way that he was acting in the thread made sense for a townie to act; he was clearly at a disadvantage meta-wise, regardless of alignment, but what i saw him doing there was peppering people with questions that allowed him to gain back some footing. he was leveling questions that allowed him to gain some of that meta secondhand.

it's not just that he had questions for people, it was the nature of the questions that mattered there. i don't think he'd have the same incentive to constantly throw out questions for the players here since he has a much greater degree of familiarity and personal meta with everybody here. what sort of questions would you expect him to be asking in this arena--the same type of questions?

also, i will say that i think that the ease with which he's been putting people down as town is actually similar to the way he did it with me in WC. that was a special case, but potentially still relevant
Well, questions-wise I'd expect him to ask a lot about people's exact thoughts when they post suspicion lists, or just ask people for their thought process, which he did a lot in the other games, but everyone's been pretty clear about their thought process so far, I myself haven't really had many questions at all, so that's not why I find him suspicious, it was just the one case where he didn't ask about that person's read about potential teammates with M Plus 7 I found suspicious because I'd have expected him to have inquired about what was going on in their head there. He's explained that, and his explanation is fair enough.

My main beef is just the ease of his town-reads. He did town-read you pretty easily but I agree that was quite a special case, most of the time, when he was giving opinions that weren't doubts or suspicious, I thought he was putting out more 'this reads genuine' statements and such rather than 'this person is locktown', and he seemed to be more trying to pick people's brains more. It could just be the environment being different and not feeling the need to do that, or him just feeling more confident here or anything like that, I just don't think I *feel* like that's what it is in my gut, it feels more like it's significant and he's trying to buddy with people or struggling to find suspicions or something, and I don't have a logical argument as to why I swing that way over the other explanations, other than just that's what my gut is saying. That feeling might be completely wrong but that's how I feel about him right now.

M Plus 7 you said if you were Mafia you'd easily be able to make suspicions up, what do you think you'd say you found suspicious?
*rips hair out*

ALIEN WHYYY LOL

Alright it’s fine.

Maybe the best way for us to proceed here is the way we did in Game 9. If you aren’t sure how I’m arriving at something just poke and prod me with very specific lines of interrogation as you so excellently do until you understand where I’m coming from. I’ll do everything I can to assist.

I’m not sure how exactly these perceptions are arising but I’m determined to help you find me this game assuming you’re town. I’m tired of talking past each other already. Lol.

As for your specific question, YES, that’s a good one and exactly what I’m talking about.

There are various things I could pursue in an LHF fashion for sure. DH, TH, and even Mac are fucking around and I could have drilled any one of them against the wall tone if I really wanted to. I probably could have been harder on aby and Tsaiah as well for not quite getting there on more players yet but that’d be unfair and I wouldn’t believe it makes them scum. (FTR I think they’re both doing amazingly.)

And I could have easily capitalized on Colin by now.

There are flaws in everyone’s game so far. When I’m scum I pick them out and drill people for it. That’s not what I’m doing.
What do you mean by 'drilled any one of them against the wall tone'?

What about colin would you capitalize on?

@MacDougall Your 'slip' was because you essentially said "the only way for me to know you're Town is if I'm Mafia', because an underlying assumption of that statement is that they're Town, because if you were Mafia you'd know it, as opposed to knowing they were also Mafia, which is a possibility to you if you're Town. We may just have different ways of thinking but if I'm Town and someone says 'you know I'm Town', my natural reaction isn't 'well if I was Mafia I'd know it, but I'm not Mafia so I don't', because that assumes you are in fact Town. I might think 'well, *if you are in fact Town* then the only way for me to know that is if I'm Mafia', and it was the 'if you are Town' bit that you left out, which could be because you're not thinking about it that way, you're assuming they're Town, because you know they are, because you're Mafia. It's very nitpicky but it's possible it reflects your thought process perfectly and you didn't have any doubt about them being Town.

I don't necessarily think it is actually a slip from scum, my gut says it wasn't at least; maybe just you didn't feel the need to add that part of 'if you're town', even though you did think it, or maybe it was an accidental assumption during that specific part of the thread, like you came at it from an angle of 'you're making this accusation that I'm Mafia and I'm showing you why I've identified this by speaking about it from your point of view', but it *could* be a slip, which is why I pointed it out. Hope that makes sense?
Agh! That was a typo, sorry Alien. Not even sure what "tone" was. Just remove that. Lol. Does that help?

And assuming a world where I'm scum and Colin is town, Colin is an easy player to push I think right now, especially when he was getting some heat earlier. I could have really gone after him for piggybacking off of your suspicion of me.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

OMFG, an ISO from Jay with less than 24 hours into D0... :haha:

I love this fucking game so much.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I can see where you're getting at, Jay. I think easily the most compelling point is DH's treatment of me specifically re: the rainbow list ramble comment.
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 161
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

abyssum wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:10 pm
M Plus 7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:54 pm
M Plus 7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:55 pm MP7 Day 0 Rainbow List -- POE Style

Tsaiah

Infected_alien8
JaggedJimmyJay

abyssum
ColinIsCool
Kylemii
MacDougall
sprityo

DharmaHelper
Lunalee
Marmot
RobotNerd277
Russtifinko
Turnip Head

Alphabetical within groups. There's a lot of GTH here. Feel free to ask me about these.

I need to go, lol. Be back later. Best of luck in your hunting, everyone! :D
Also... I'm realizing that it's likely at least one of my green reads is garbage, but I don't give a fuck.

Alright. Bye for real. Lol. ahhhhh
it's sprityo me, isn't it? : (
I was gonna say Mac. But okay :meany:
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:02 pm
M Plus 7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:16 pm I will admit I’m a bit wary that Jay has been asking too many softball questions like “why” and that one he lobbed at colin earlier that I took a legit beef with

That’s why I lowered him on my rainbow list even if I still think he’s very likely town
The day "why" becomes a softball question by the standards of Day 0 is the day hunting becomes impossible. I mean, I could add profanity and make it sound meaner, but it has no semantic value. :meany:

I've also arguably been more hardball than anyone in this thread so far except alien.
Okay, well... this is totally fair. :p
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

sprityo! Sup my man!
Infected_alien8_
The Mark
Posts in topic: 266

Post by Infected_alien8_ »

Just skimmed and saw someone mention I was lurking, I'm not, I've just left this tab open so it might show me as reading the thread or something I guess?

(I'll catch up properly later)
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 161
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

M Plus 7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:05 pm
sprityo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:02 pm Oof, trying to keep up with MP is like trying to keep up with Dunya, only I have a grudge on her and I like MP.

Henceforth I’m not gonna nitpick him. ESPECIALLY ON DAY ZERO :suspish:

Marmot has a tempting offer on not reading but on the flipside if I don’t pay some attention to day one I’m gonna be drowning in 20+ pages of stuff by the time day 1 actually comes around
Why would you not nitpick me

I really like you too man and I get frustrated when people nitpick me sometimes lol but I still expect it to happen

Give me some reads man I want inside your head please! Let’s work together this game
Who are you and what have you done with sockface :omg:

if I get some free time today, which I doubt, you can expect something. If not you’ll have to wait till day1 which luckily is still the day phase
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

LOL, the scrolls, GOOD TIMES. Hahaha.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

sprityo wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:17 am
M Plus 7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:05 pm
sprityo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:02 pm Oof, trying to keep up with MP is like trying to keep up with Dunya, only I have a grudge on her and I like MP.

Henceforth I’m not gonna nitpick him. ESPECIALLY ON DAY ZERO :suspish:

Marmot has a tempting offer on not reading but on the flipside if I don’t pay some attention to day one I’m gonna be drowning in 20+ pages of stuff by the time day 1 actually comes around
Why would you not nitpick me

I really like you too man and I get frustrated when people nitpick me sometimes lol but I still expect it to happen

Give me some reads man I want inside your head please! Let’s work together this game
Who are you and what have you done with sockface :omg:

if I get some free time today, which I doubt, you can expect something. If not you’ll have to wait till day1 which luckily is still the day phase
CHAMPS HAS TRANSFORMED ME SPRITYO

*Sockface has evolved into... SOCKFACE 2.0* (pokemon style)

I'M NO LONGER THE SOCKFACE YOU'VE KNOWN AND LOVED
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:39 pm
Infected_alien8_ wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:37 pm @DharmaHelper did you find it suspicious M Plus 7 held off for so long making the rainbow lists?
I don't know how long he held off exactly but him posting so frequently you'd think if he wanted to he could have posted that pretty list of names at any point. :shrug: Not a vote-getter for me but if I was paying attention that'd be something I'd pay attention to.
...This is basically shading me.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

MacDougall wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:42 pm
Infected_alien8_ wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:15 pm @JaggedJimmyJay why did you say that Mac wouldn't like your stance on his slip if you didn't actually think it was a slip?

Also for anyone who's played with Mac, is his response to the slip thing telling at all? Would he have such a strong reaction as a Townie do you think?
Here's a little genuine insight on me that might help you better understand me in general. I only feel the need to express this because most of what you're being told about me is incorrect.

There is a lot of meta on me on this site that I tend to use to my advantage when I am Mafia because it's easy to fake but when I am town it generally hurts me. People say town Mac "is aggressive, flings shit, posts a lot, make people mad, is an asshole etc.". This is not entirely accurate of my town games. Unless I am put under pressure, have a lot of time (or too much coffee) or see someone or someones post something pingy I tend to just post memes and have a laugh as town until invariably some big dicked motherfucker (usually Golden or Jay) comes along and accuses me of not being on meta which makes me act that way and actually perpetuates the meta on me.

I do just throw a lot of accusations out there in the early game though, I do this as both alignments, and Jay is right that they are generally based on something. I try to see scum nervously breaking the ice before having been engaged because I think that is generally harder for scum to produce natural content unprovoked than it is to just go with the flow and engage with the dialogue once it's established. This is why I have a reputation for being right on day 1 because I have made seeing that scum nervous "sup guise" bullshit my talent.

Basically my biggest problem as a civ is that when I don't come out controlling shit on day 1 people go "where's that town Mac I know, must be scum Mac" and it pisses me off so I overreact. It is so simple minded to me (which is probably unfair because I am the only one inside my own head) that I generally no u them out of incredulity. But given that is not alignment indicative it annoys me that so many people naturally lean towards assuming that means I am scum (when I am more WANT to actually fake and try) than town (when there are a ton of documented games where I gave zero fucks). So I am really pinned down on this site by a very well established but mostly incorrect meta. It was really never more clear to me that it was a problem until Firefly.

This game is the first time I have straight up tried to fake my town meta as town because I was mislynched day 1 as the main character of fucking Firefly in a game I really wanted to play for not being what everyone thinks I am. I have faked my town meta plenty as scum but I usually look for posts that look like the kind of posts that ping me (because town make them too it's just very slight differences that I tend to pick up on that differentiate the town ones from the scum ones). I faked it here but being that I am not Mafia I was less careful and didn't put quite so much thought in the posts I was picking out.
...This is town as fuck.

And for the record, Mac, I've never EVER thought you were an asshole. Or anything similar.

Aggressive in games? Sure. Willing to pursue something you thought was right about another player? Absolutely. But an asshole? Never.

You're a great guy man. And a pleasure to play games with even when we're butting heads. Don't forget it.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

MacDougall wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:48 pm Eye on Lunalee. She has a small amount of posts but each one she feels much more aware of the game happenings than i would expect from a person with four posts. That her first post was a joke reply to my wall of genders felt like her forcing her way into the thread to find an opportunity to break the ice.
Hmmmm... I can see this I think. I definitely want to hear more from her one way or the other.

[mention]Lunalee[/mention] what are your reads?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Town core of me, Mac, Jay, Tsaiah, and Alien? Almost too good to be true.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

M Plus 7 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 am Town core of me, Mac, Jay, Tsaiah, and Alien? Almost too good to be true.
And hopefully aby too of course. :D
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

sprityo wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:12 am
abyssum wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:10 pm
M Plus 7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:54 pm
M Plus 7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:55 pm MP7 Day 0 Rainbow List -- POE Style

Tsaiah

Infected_alien8
JaggedJimmyJay

abyssum
ColinIsCool
Kylemii
MacDougall
sprityo

DharmaHelper
Lunalee
Marmot
RobotNerd277
Russtifinko
Turnip Head

Alphabetical within groups. There's a lot of GTH here. Feel free to ask me about these.

I need to go, lol. Be back later. Best of luck in your hunting, everyone! :D
Also... I'm realizing that it's likely at least one of my green reads is garbage, but I don't give a fuck.

Alright. Bye for real. Lol. ahhhhh
it's sprityo me, isn't it? : (
I was gonna say Mac. But okay :meany:
You gonna cast dispersions against me you better have something to back that up my man or I'll go through you like a freight train.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Russtifinko wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:07 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 pm Me: Alrighty fuck it time to buckle in and catch up

MP: I think I'm gonna post eight times in a row now.

Me: Oh ok I'll go watch a movie then.
Right?!? To reiterate, everyone: 12 pages. On Day 0. Before we can even vote, and less than 24 hours into the game. Holy wall of text, Batman!

I skipped pages 6-10, and only read posts that were 1 or 2 lines long on pages 11 and 12. I will try to go back and read more as time permits.
M Plus 7 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:53 pm
Russtifinko wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:31 pm
M Plus 7 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:50 pm So I’m the only player to have experience and/or history with every other player here. I can provide meta and such if necessary. I prefer not to rely on it much though. But feel free to ask me and I will provide opinions on whatever assuming I haven’t already.
Only on page 2 of 6 so far. (6 pages on Day 0??? Welcome back, me!) MP, please provide your meta on me. May be helpful since most here don’t know/won’t remember me, and I might find it amusing. Thanks!

Also fwiw, I have a town read of MP based on his enthusiasm and a slight town read on Mac based on his baseless accusations so far. Those are some of the o key players who I have decent meta reads on.
RUSS! Dude! :yay:

If you keep reading you’ll find it I did little blurbs on everyone

I can find it and mention you though when I get back to computer if necessary
I found it, thanks! It's my favorite post so far. You nailed that I post few posts but they're always huge and usually triple. Like this trio. :ponder:
Seriously so happy to play with you again bud. Glad you got something out of it!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Russtifinko wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:11 pm Why is there a phoenix presiding over a burning city now, btw? So much has changed!
!

So that refers to the fact that incident when the site died when we tried to update it LOL and it was gone for like a month? But then it came back with a vengeance! And we got a new skin that was black and blue instead of black and red, and Daisy and Long Con worked together on that banner. Pretty cool stuff. :D
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Mac! Can we work together? I really want to work together. :D

Return to “Previous Heists”