U-Pick Mafia Vol 1 - Game Over

Moderator: Community Team

Should U-Pick be an annual special game?

Yes
89%
I suck at life
11%

Total votes: 18
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 736

Re: U-Pick Mafia Vol 1 - Day 0

Post by dunya »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:53 pm
Kylemii wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:52 pm
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:25 pm A tendency I noticed in dunya's play both in Fire Emblem and Ancient Greece was to speak in absolute terms how a game is constructed (whether its roles or its mechanics) beyond the knowledge a civilian can have or the confidence a civilian should have. Indeed, she was critical of others who considered theories beyond the obvious truth she promoted -- one born of her unique knowledge given her mafia alignments.

Her early stature in this game given Golden's notion of a character submission inspiring a more probable civilian alignment is a suitable parallel. I actually agree with her logic in base terms -- a Mafia game would be in its most proper form, randomized entirely. Mac himself suggested though that this game may be bastardized or otherwise not entirely balanced. There ought to be some room to consider the less obvious or logical possibilities.
what were the things she said in thread in greece and fire emblem that she shouldn't have been able to know if not mafia?
She was TMIing all over the thread about the Hellenic League and how it worked in Ancient Greece. I'd have to go back to Fire Emblem and find the initial inspiration for that thought. I think I saw it there.
ahaaa. I think I understood. let me make sure. so you're saying my dismissal of Golden's theory that Mac handpicked players into alignments this game is TMI?
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 263
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:25 pm A tendency I noticed in dunya's play both in Fire Emblem and Ancient Greece was to speak in absolute terms how a game is constructed (whether its roles or its mechanics) beyond the knowledge a civilian can have or the confidence a civilian should have. Indeed, she was critical of others who considered theories beyond the obvious truth she promoted -- one born of her unique knowledge given her mafia alignments.

Her early stature in this game given Golden's notion of a character submission inspiring a more probable civilian alignment is a suitable parallel. I actually agree with her logic in base terms -- a Mafia game would be in its most proper form, randomized entirely. Mac himself suggested though that this game may be bastardized or otherwise not entirely balanced. There ought to be some room to consider the less obvious or logical possibilities.
:srsnod:

dunya's tone overall sounds very much like her mafia game so far.

to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
wolbre04
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 166

Post by wolbre04 »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:58 pm
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:43 pm
ColinIsCool wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:42 pm But I would like more input re: wolbre and the alleged Boobquest please and thank you.
I don't understand the boobquest. I have not read most of the boobquest.
It’s an underhanded ploy to make you sing a song. :keys:
I don't need Jay to specifically sing a song, I just need someone else to do it for the task. I also have to do it FIRST. So if this a lie then im going to some pretty fucking extreme lengths
ImageImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 517

Re: U-Pick Mafia Vol 1 - Day 1

Post by ColinIsCool »

I mean, is infodumping allowed in bastard set-ups? Because it sounds to me like wolbre would be infodumping were he being truthful, but, idk, I could be wrong about it all.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason
Posts in topic: 393
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Post by Kylemii »

wolbre04 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 pm Also my role changes over the game when I complete goals and shit, so d2 I am going to start needing help with them
i hate that your role that's apparently just based on "steve tyler's abhorrent pec-flesh" has so much depth and apparently a whole story arc filled with character growth and important life lessons
wolbre04
Drug Dealer

Post by wolbre04 »

ColinIsCool wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:00 pm I mean, is infodumping allowed in bastard set-ups? Because it sounds to me like wolbre would be infodumping were he being truthful, but, idk, I could be wrong about it all.
Well I have to get other people to help me for my tasks so im quite obviously going to have to ask. I made sure to read the rules in the OP to ensure I could do it how I wanted
ImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 312
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

wolbre04 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:59 pm
ColinIsCool wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:42 pm But I would like more input re: wolbre and the alleged Boobquest please and thank you.
I don't need Jay to specifically sing a song, I just need someone else to do it for the task. I also have to do it FIRST. So if this a lie then im going to some pretty fucking extreme lengths
If you have to sing first then get to it. I can be the trailing act. I only know one ABBA song, and I barely know it (Dancing Queen). I have no shame though, and that sounds more fun to me than hunting for bad guys.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 517

Post by ColinIsCool »

Logging off for the night, so I'm looking forward to reading 35 pages about completely different players tomorrow! Please engage the Boobquest queries I've made!
wolbre04
Drug Dealer

Post by wolbre04 »

Kylemii wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:00 pm
wolbre04 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 pm Also my role changes over the game when I complete goals and shit, so d2 I am going to start needing help with them
i hate that your role that's apparently just based on "steve tyler's abhorrent pec-flesh" has so much depth and apparently a whole story arc filled with character growth and important life lessons
It's making an appearance in WW season 2
ImageImageImage
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

dunya wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 pmI'm saying Mac warned us the game MAY be imbalanced. if he was handpicking teams, he would have called it a fucking bastardized game outright hands-down, no maybes about it.
Rule 9. This is a bastard game. Don't get all upset when weird shit happens.
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 261
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:01 pm
If you have to sing first then get to it. I can be the trailing act. I only know one ABBA song, and I barely know it (Dancing Queen). I have no shame though, and that sounds more fun to me than hunting for bad guys.
oh god please no abba please
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

ColinIsCool wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:00 pm I mean, is infodumping allowed in bastard set-ups? Because it sounds to me like wolbre would be infodumping were he being truthful, but, idk, I could be wrong about it all.
infodumping is allowed in this game, since it's a closed setup.

I feel like wolbre is being earnest in his quest because I have a similar, yet more sadistic stipulation and mac likes to keep things interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's no second boob tho.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

that should have been in quotes
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

dunya wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:59 pm ahaaa. I think I understood. let me make sure. so you're saying my dismissal of Golden's theory that Mac handpicked players into alignments this game is TMI?
I think it's inaccurate to reduce Golden's notion to "Mac handpicked players into alignments" if I understand him correctly. Instead, a more precise version: "Mac was influenced by some role choices which were so blinding in their moral implications and stature that a certain alignment made the most sense, without regard for who it was and not necessarily even realizing which player was associated with it at the time of judgment".

In any event, I do think it smells of TMI to reject any of these ideas off-hand with such an assertive tone. I wasn't able to reject them myself given my own expectations for the role I submitted until I saw my rolecard.

You're a cat, which has no implications for alignment. Your teammates might have been surprised to find their Mother Teresa roles on a mafia team though.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Kylemii wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 pm
dunya wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 pmI'm saying Mac warned us the game MAY be imbalanced. if he was handpicking teams, he would have called it a fucking bastardized game outright hands-down, no maybes about it.
yeah but in signups he said maybe imbalanced because of the nature of the roles.

i just know mac wouldn't accept to play a game with handpicked players in each team so he wouldn't run a game like that either.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 pm "Mac was influenced by some role choices which were so blinding in their moral implications and stature that a certain alignment made the most sense, without regard for who it was and not necessarily even realizing which player was associated with it at the time of judgment".
come on. really? really?
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 115

Post by Quin »

Dunya said that I am always ambiguous when I am bad. She has played with a scum Quin once. Yuck!
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

i'm breaking my own rule. i will not discuss this ridiculous theory again for the rest of day 1.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

dunya wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:06 pm
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 pm "Mac was influenced by some role choices which were so blinding in their moral implications and stature that a certain alignment made the most sense, without regard for who it was and not necessarily even realizing which player was associated with it at the time of judgment".
come on. really? really?
Yes. I thought there was a good chance I'd be mafia because of the role I submitted. I didn't think being JJJ was relevant or even that Mac would necessarily make that connection.

There's no reason to discard this stuff if you don't actually know. I had an excuse post-role card, but Lizzy the cat does not.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

dunya wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:07 pm i'm breaking my own rule. i will not discuss this ridiculous theory again for the rest of day 1.
Calling it "ridiculous" is the entire problem. You're not even giving it a moment of thought. Mac already gave us the answer, but you knew the answer before that. I don't care for it.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:08 pm
dunya wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:07 pm i'm breaking my own rule. i will not discuss this ridiculous theory again for the rest of day 1.
Calling it "ridiculous" is the entire problem. You're not even giving it a moment of thought. Mac already gave us the answer, but you knew the answer before that. I don't care for it.
so, how did i know the answer if i was scum?
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 282

Post by Golden »

This rule is self-serving when the discussions is directly aimed at establishing your affiliation.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

dunya wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:08 pm
I already told you that, but you snipped it out of my post.

Your teammates have goodly-seeming roles and were surprised to find themselves in a coven of evil. It was discussed in BTSC early.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 282

Post by Golden »

Epi would be crawling all over these adjectives.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:10 pm
dunya wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:08 pm
I already told you that, but you snipped it out of my post.

Your teammates have goodly-seeming roles and were surprised to find themselves in a coven of evil. It was discussed in BTSC early.
okkkkkkayyyyyy. i get it now.

alright, i can't defend against that. what else you got?
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 342
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

novaselinenever wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 pm
Scotty wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:47 pm
dunya wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:24 pm
Scotty wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 pm [VOTE: nova] aubergine
are you lynching a no-poster today?
That’s the plan.

That’s always the plan.

If he shows up, then I look at most suspicious. But I’m shit at reading people day 1 anyway soooo
What's up? I'm here :noble:
What do you have to say for yourself?
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange
Posts in topic: 177

Post by MacDougall »

Announcement

I have instituted "Time Out" as a penalty for breaking any of the rules. If you are placed in "Time Out" I will tell you about it. It's a need to know thing.

Players who from this moment in break rules 4 or 9 run the risk of being placed in Time Out.

That is all.

speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 156

Post by speedchuck »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:09 pm Who should I daykill you guys?

Wolbre and....
Kites
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

dunya wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:11 pmwhat else you got?
You don't need to concern yourself with that. Do things. You have 150some posts and maybe 15-20% of them feature hunting. The rest are defensive or spam. Go to work and I'll observe.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

dunya wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:05 pm
Kylemii wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 pm
yeah but in signups he said maybe imbalanced because of the nature of the roles.

i just know mac wouldn't accept to play a game with handpicked players in each team so he wouldn't run a game like that either.
oh right, i mean i pretty much agree. i think mac probably randomized most roles, and i don't think we should assume that balance wasn't a primary worry for him, nor should we assume that it was either.

there's a lot of ways he could have done it, maybe chosen powers first then randomized and just went with whatever came up or maybe randomized then altered the powers to balance things out so they'd be fair-ish. maybe he selected rogues from the submitted roles that seemed most rogue-like, or maybe he randomized that too and re-picked powers and goals that would fit for the role name. the best thing we can do is not worry about it and expect things to get weird
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Oh it's day 1 now. I missed a ton and I'm not going back to read.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
wolbre04
Drug Dealer

Post by wolbre04 »

ImageImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

What did Golden accuse you of?
wolbre04
Drug Dealer

Post by wolbre04 »

wolbre04 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:18 pm Image
Join me my brothers and sisters
ImageImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

MacDougall wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 pm Announcement

I have instituted "Time Out" as a penalty for breaking any of the rules. If you are placed in "Time Out" I will tell you about it. It's a need to know thing.

Players who from this moment in break rules 4 or 9 run the risk of being placed in Time Out.

That is all.

What about spankings?
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

the song is related to the masculine rockstar chest flesh adventure?
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange
Posts in topic: 177

Post by MacDougall »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:22 pm
MacDougall wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 pm Announcement

That is all.

What about spankings?
What happens in Time Out, stays in Time Out.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

wolbre04 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 pm
Kylemii wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:00 pm
It's making an appearance in WW season 2
spoilers :\
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

speedchuck wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Wolbre and....
Kites
;)
wolbre04
Drug Dealer

Post by wolbre04 »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:25 pm
speedchuck wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Wolbre and....
Kites
;)
No don't kill me ffs I'm trying so hard at this quest
ImageImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

wolbre04 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:18 pm
I’m more of an ass man.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 pm
I’m more of an ass man.
what. show. is. that?
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
wolbre04
Drug Dealer

Post by wolbre04 »

speedchuck wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:33 pm
I’m more of an ass man.
what. show. is. that?
I made this banner myself LOL
ImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Jack has an anime .gif for everything.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

wolbre04 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:33 pm
I’m more of an ass man.
what. show. is. that?
I made this banner myself LOL
Jack's butt gif tho
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

I’m more of an ass man.
what. show. is. that?
Keijo.

The joke is that Gilgamesh uses the “Gate of Babylon” to bring forth all true weapons. The spoof character has the “Gate of Bootylon” which is...similar, I guess.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

That's fantastic
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
novaselinenever
Hitman
Posts in topic: 16

Post by novaselinenever »

Scotty wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:57 pm
That’s the plan.

That’s always the plan.

If he shows up, then I look at most suspicious. But I’m shit at reading people day 1 anyway soooo
Coolbeans

You read any of the things?
I'm currently reading on and off. Should be up to speed in a few hours when I come back home.
novaselinenever
Hitman
Posts in topic: 16

Post by novaselinenever »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:11 pm
That’s the plan.

That’s always the plan.

What do you have to say for yourself?
I'm a cool guy :beer:
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 294
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Colin, Imo I think what Jay brought up is entirely possible, even probable that the other boob is someone who just told Mac to give them a role. What I don't quite get is if it's ok for wolbre to declare role specifics why can't the right breast just say "here I am"? All I can think of is that the right breast can't do that for some role related reason that Mac designed. Anyway, I am buying what wolbre is saying. It seems too elaborate to be made up.

dunya, I'd like to refresh myself on civ dunya to make sure what I remember is accurate and to contrast that with what I am learning about bad dunya. What are your two most recent civ games?

I'm currently reading Golden as town because as I think nutella brought up his high degree of conviction reads town to me. That doesn't mean I think he's right, just that he believes he is right and is not afraid to be emphatic about it. Also nutella, didn't you say earlier you were reading dunya as town and then not long ago you said you were reading her as mafia? What happened to change your opinion (or did I misunderstand)?

Also I just noticed that EOD will be at 12:44 am Saturday May 19th- that's basically tomorrow night right? Is that 48 hours? Maybe I'm just confused. Anyway, do not expect me to be around at EOD, way past my bedtime.

linki linki linki
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Previous Jobs”