U-Pick Mafia Vol 1 - Game Over

Moderator: Community Team

Should U-Pick be an annual special game?

Yes
89%
I suck at life
11%

Total votes: 18
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason
Posts in topic: 393
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Re: U-Pick Mafia Vol 1 - Night 1

Post by Kylemii »

Quin wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:03 am
Kylemii wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:02 am @Quin do you want bread?
No. I have bread.
on a salad roll???
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 517

Post by ColinIsCool »

Golden wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:03 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:57 amOne can also say to be fair that the increased time frame adjusts the raw probability further in an ideal world, to some unknowable degree.
This is the other thing I'd say. I'd actually be more inclined to option 6 later in the game. The raw probability of a successful lynch is more likely to improve in the civilians favour later. If this option came along when we actually had a pool of decently agreed suspects, it might be worth the risk. As it stands, we don't have a strong enough collective view on who the suspects are to rely on that.
I have had a hard time articulating this point, I tried earlier and failed, so thank you.
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 261
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

I’m on page 40 but at face value I’m seeing Golden Brit buddied by Quin. Either they both found some extra gel behind each other’s ear or they’re just really in tune about nutella.

I still hve yet to read half of day 1, but from what I remember in the beginning, I was liking nutella’s Instigative attitude, gettin in people’s business. “Got any examples, Scottzilla?” NoZ sir, that would require me to go back and reread and holy fuck does that sound exhausting. I’m here to have fun
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 146
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

colonialbob wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:05 am
Sloonei wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:59 am
colonialbob wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:53 am
Sloonei wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:48 am WHATS ALL THIS HOGWASH ABOUT NUMBERS? YOU KIDS THESE DAYS AND YOUR FANCY MATHEMATICS. BACK IN MY DAY IT WAS SIMPLE ARITHMETIC ! I DON'T KNOW WHERE WE WENT WRONG ... HAVE A LOVELY DAY!
How do I make a video on the page ?
thanks.
LOL
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 158
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

The thing I like about the triple lynch is that suddenly, more players will have made meaningful votes.

Instead of Player X being lynched with 6 votes while Players Y & Z live on with 4 votes apiece, all three players are lynched. Instead of Player Y's and Player Z's alignment remaining a mystery going forward to some unknown future time while the players who voted for them continue to have uncertain intentions, they would die immediately, and more information is gained about the players who died, as well as the players who lynched them.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 312
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:01 am It's not. Controlling a lynch is town-leaning, if the town controls it. If the mafia controls a lynch, it's mafia-leaning. I would say a triple lynch could be at best vaguely similar to a double lynch and a mafia vig shot. At worst (and in my opinion most likely), it's like having your normal lynch and giving each mafia team a vig shot.
This demands that the civilians make no effort to consolidate into three wagons -- we may not always agree on everything, but the opportunity to kill three people allows for disparate opinions to work in unison. The higher the single-player tallies get, the harder it is for mafia members to handpick their lynches (something I still believe can be identified by a dedicated civilian who is literally looking for that). 4-4-4-1-1-1-1-1-1 is hard to manipulate. 5-5-3-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 is easier to manipulate, but still difficult (and it demands a bold standout move). 4-3-3-2-2-2-1-1-1 would be easy to manipulate and also represent a failure of the civilians to work together -- is that what you'd anticipate?
Golden wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:01 amImagine you got a free lynch but only a third of the town votes would count but every mafia vote would count. Would you take that lynch? Or would you see it as too much of a risk of just being an extra mafia kill?
I would not take that vote. I don't understand this though, because the mafia have to split their votes in three just the same. Any manipulative capacity owned by a mafioso is also owned by a civilian bearing a suspicion.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 282

Post by Golden »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:01 am
Golden wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:55 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:31 am If the mafia teams just try to combine their votes to ensure command of #2 or #3 spot without regard for their actual suspicions (or the suspicions being promoted by civilians), then... that should be something we can see, right?
Why would they need to do that? I doubt they'd have to block vote.

Look at the day one poll. Third place got 2 votes. There were lots of them. Is it really hard to drop one vote at a timely point to ensure someone gets to three that isn't on your team, without it being obvious?

Do you not believe in your own skill to do this if you're bad? I fully believe in mine.
I believe that is as plausible as any other strategic vote in any lynch. I don't understand why this is different. There are three wagons that die instead of one. Everyone who votes in those wagons (or doesn't) is responsible for what they've done and open to questioning accordingly.

In this case, the potential to evade a lynch of one's own teammate requires dancing around three wagons instead of just one.
I've never had any difficulty dancing around my voting decisions.

I guess all I'm saying is if I were mafia I'd take option 6 every single time. I wouldn't be afraid of dancing around decisions; at this point in the game, that's easy as hell.

I do think that at this point, though, we've talked out the options, and I'm inclined to see your perspective as extremely genuine at the end of the day (and I hope that I've at least managed to influence your perspective on the balance of the move).
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
colonialbob
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 394
Preferred Pronouns: He/his/him

Post by colonialbob »

Scotty wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:08 am I’m on page 40 but at face value I’m seeing Golden Brit buddied by Quin. Either they both found some extra gel behind each other’s ear or they’re just really in tune about nutella.

I still hve yet to read half of day 1, but from what I remember in the beginning, I was liking nutella’s Instigative attitude, gettin in people’s business. “Got any examples, Scottzilla?” NoZ sir, that would require me to go back and reread and holy fuck does that sound exhausting. I’m here to have fun
read her case on Colin EoD, should be recent in her iso. I felt it was good thought process.
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 115

Post by Quin »

Scotty wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:08 am I’m on page 40 but at face value I’m seeing Golden Brit buddied by Quin. Either they both found some extra gel behind each other’s ear or they’re just really in tune about nutella.

no man, golden's bad too.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:09 amI don't understand this though, because the mafia have to split their votes in three just the same. Any manipulative capacity owned by a mafioso is also owned by a civilian bearing a suspicion.
No they don't. Why would they have to? They can easily just use their influence in the lesser votes if they need to, mostly avoiding the highest lynch. Or be in the highest lynch if there is noone they particularly need to save. There isn't the same need to dilute their votes at all.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I haven't really noticed quin this game so if he's buddying me he's shit at it.
colonialbob
Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

Quin wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:10 am

Why are you picking objectively the worst poll option?

And i don't mean the option that most favors mafia, I mean unchangeable votes are terrible and should be forever banned

They do favor mafia tho
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

Wait, Golden, you’re votig for the “pick 8 rando’s for tomorrow’s lynch” and yet you’re critical of the option that gives us more town power to choose the most suspicious tomorrow?

That’s Silver, at best.

Putting Day phases in the power of RNG and decrying our ability to pick candidates is hypocritical, dontcha think? Or maybe you explained your reasoning better and I’m just harping on old news. I dunno

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I will move my vote to #3 temporarily and allow everyone else to discuss the matter. There is a lot of time left to make the call. If I have to vote right now and the night ends, I vote #6.

I DO NOT ENDORSE #3. #3 IS A HEINOUS CRIME AGAINST ALL CIVILIANS, AND QUIN LOOKS AWFUL FOR VOTING IT.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 158
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:13 am I will move my vote to #3 temporarily and allow everyone else to discuss the matter. There is a lot of time left to make the call. If I have to vote right now and the night ends, I vote #6.

I DO NOT ENDORSE #3. #3 IS A HEINOUS CRIME AGAINST ALL CIVILIANS, AND QUIN LOOKS AWFUL FOR VOTING IT.
Too bad once you vote it you can't switch away. :grin:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

colonialbob wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:13 am

And i don't mean the option that most favors mafia, I mean unchangeable votes are terrible and should be forever banned

They do favor mafia tho
Because I am objectively the worst.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
colonialbob
Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

Scotty wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:13 am Wait, Golden, you’re votig for the “pick 8 rando’s for tomorrow’s lynch” and yet you’re critical of the option that gives us more town power to choose the most suspicious tomorrow?

That’s Silver, at best.

Putting Day phases in the power of RNG and decrying our ability to pick candidates is hypocritical, dontcha think? Or maybe you explained your reasoning better and I’m just harping on old news. I dunno
Your option is bad and you should feel bad
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:13 am I will move my vote to #3 temporarily and allow everyone else to discuss the matter. There is a lot of time left to make the call. If I have to vote right now and the night ends, I vote #6.

I mean, when you say it in caps it just sounds mean.
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Quin wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:15 am

Why did you vote for it though?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:16 am

Why did you vote for it though?
Dunno. Still haven't figured it out myself.
ImageImageImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

I am getting a lot of town points for Golden in his posts tonight. Not that a scum could not be against 6, but the particular justification that it is a “wet dream” makes a lot of sense to me. It makes me think I should check out the argument with dunya again.

Aside from nutella, I’m reiterating that I don’t like the people who slid onto 6, in my opinion a great slot for scum, without initially commenting. That would be wolbre, Spacedaisy and speed.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:09 am
Golden wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:01 am It's not. Controlling a lynch is town-leaning, if the town controls it. If the mafia controls a lynch, it's mafia-leaning. I would say a triple lynch could be at best vaguely similar to a double lynch and a mafia vig shot. At worst (and in my opinion most likely), it's like having your normal lynch and giving each mafia team a vig shot.
This demands that the civilians make no effort to consolidate into three wagons -- we may not always agree on everything, but the opportunity to kill three people allows for disparate opinions to work in unison. The higher the single-player tallies get, the harder it is for mafia members to handpick their lynches (something I still believe can be identified by a dedicated civilian who is literally looking for that). 4-4-4-1-1-1-1-1-1 is hard to manipulate. 5-5-3-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 is easier to manipulate, but still difficult (and it demands a bold standout move). 4-3-3-2-2-2-1-1-1 would be easy to manipulate and also represent a failure of the civilians to work together -- is that what you'd anticipate?
Yes, that is what I'd anticipate. You can't win - coalesce too early and actually your just asking for loud voices to choose the targets before too many people have a say, because you're forced to stick with the three you've got. I mean, it's actually sort of option 3 by another name, you may as well have non-changeable votes. Don't coalesce early and it's easy to manipulate late. I think you'd agree that generally speaking building an early consensus and not deviating from it is something that works in the favour of the mafia.

It's possible we could find mafia in the haze based on voting but I wouldn't count on it.

I really genuinely think it's a very bad idea - as I've said, I would as mafia trust my ability to run lynches two and three.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

YOU KIDS THESE DAYS ARE TOO SENSITIVE
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
colonialbob
Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

I've made a terrible mistake, I should've been Morbotron.

Curses, wasted opportunity
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

Sloonei wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:19 am

OH MY GOD GRANDMA SHUT UP
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I'd see option 6 as a honeytrap that failed because of Jay's strong town voice. But there's still an outside chance it functioned well as a honeytrap, colin is right to look at people in there.

I still mostly don't like that nutella, who is extremely good at such things, laid down on option 6 being objectively better based on statistics.
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

The Boobquest feels like one million years ago.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

[mention]ColinIsCool[/mention], [mention]Jackofhearts2005[/mention], [mention]Sloonei[/mention]

What is your rationale for #1?

The only one up there I actually like apart from #6 is #2. I think that one offers a tiny benefit of creating a temporarily manageable POE (and also threatens to narrow thread-wide focus for an entire day, so it's not perfect).

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

ok but seriously is sloonei playing or not i cant figure it out
ImageImageImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

I chose 1 because I think it forces us to get reads out, which is helpful, and it isn’t as high risk as other options. I’m not in love with it though.
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

You can learn a lot from lynching three people at once. But you may lose a lot too. Aside from lynching, vote patterns are town’s best chance, and 1 gives us more meat there without giving anything up.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:22 am ColinIsCool, Jackofhearts2005, Sloonei

The only one up there I actually like apart from #6 is #2. I think that one offers a tiny benefit of creating a temporarily manageable POE (and also threatens to narrow thread-wide focus for an entire day, so it's not perfect).
MORE VOTES = MORE ACTION, SONNY!
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:22 am @ColinIsCool, @Jackofhearts2005, @Sloonei

I genuinely think number 2 is a pretty decent town tool right now, with a downside risk of extremely bad luck in randomisation. I think a narrowed focus is a good thing early in a game with 30 players... provided the focus is widened again afterwards.
colonialbob
Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:22 am ColinIsCool, Jackofhearts2005, Sloonei

I would argue threadwide focus is inevitably narrowed anyway with 31 players, else it's fragmented beyond usefulness. A random selection promises to be more interesting than continuing to argue about the people who post the most, no offense intended to any of you
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Quin wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:19 am
Sloonei wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:19 am

OH MY GOD GRANDMA SHUT UP
RESPEKT YOUR ELDERS YOUNG MAN
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

Question for the thread: is failing to vote in a lynch, and other forms of inactivity, alignment indicative per your view? Consider your own playstyle as scum. I’m not sure.
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

colonialbob wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:14 am
Scotty wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:13 am Wait, Golden, you’re votig for the “pick 8 rando’s for tomorrow’s lynch” and yet you’re critical of the option that gives us more town power to choose the most suspicious tomorrow?

That’s Silver, at best.

Your option is bad and you should feel bad
:sigh:

I’ll go unload the dishwasher

oh look I forgot to put soap in, and now it just smells like hot tuna fish

:sigh:

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

A NARROW FOCUS IS BAD FOR EVERY BODY. OPEN MINDS MEAN OPEN HEARTS AND YOU NEED TO HAVE AN OPEN HEART TO LOVE .
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

ColinIsCool wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:28 am Question for the thread: is failing to vote in a lynch, and other forms of inactivity, alignment indicative per your view? Consider your own playstyle as scum. I’m not sure.
I would say no.
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

I kinda just think that scum would be careful enough to not not-vote and risk repercussions. But I know that’s dangerous.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

ColinIsCool wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:28 am Question for the thread: is failing to vote in a lynch, and other forms of inactivity, alignment indicative per your view? Consider your own playstyle as scum. I’m not sure.
No
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
colonialbob
Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

Golden wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:27 am

I genuinely think number 2 is a pretty decent town tool right now, with a downside risk of extremely bad luck in randomisation. I think a narrowed focus is a good thing early in a game with 30 players... provided the focus is widened again afterwards.
A reminder, we're virtually guaranteed at least one mafioso in the random 8, and very likely we'll have at least 2.

(Well, assuming what I feel to be reasonably sized mafia teams)
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

colonialbob wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:13 am

They do favor mafia tho
They do favour mafia.

But from my perspective, I used to catch a lot more baddies who couldn't hide in unchangeable votes than I did in changeable votes. I wish we'd get a lot more 'unchangeable vote' games around here. But I'm not going to argue it's the best option in the poll.
colonialbob
Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

In a regular game, perhaps. In this glorious monstrosity? No.
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

ColinIsCool wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:18 am I am getting a lot of town points for Golden in his posts tonight. Not that a scum could not be against 6, but the particular justification that it is a “wet dream” makes a lot of sense to me. It makes me think I should check out the argument with dunya again.

Aside from nutella, I’m reiterating that I don’t like the people who slid onto 6, in my opinion a great slot for scum, without initially commenting. That would be wolbre, Spacedaisy and speed.
I disagree about golden. Commenting about the abject suspiciousness of someone choosing option 6 is one thing, and condemning those that do is an easy way to throw blame.

While I DO agree that voting without explanation is also suspect, lumping everyone that voted one option together into a snotbubble is taking the easy route. It sounds like a reasonable argument but in reality it’s just stirring up the pot when it was just a grilled cheese and why is it in a pot to begin with

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

ColinIsCool wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:31 am I kinda just think that scum would be careful enough to not not-vote and risk repercussions. But I know that’s dangerous.
Yes
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

A premier concern of Golden's is that, for #6, civilians won't be able to adequately coalesce votes to evade mafia-aligned manipulation of the second and third wagons.

I checked the Day 1 poll, and 24 of 31 players placed a vote. This is both more than I expected and less than I'd like. We cannot know how many people will vote on Day 2, but I do think it would be optimistic to expect more votes than were seen Day 1. This is essentially a projection of no-shows and otherwise missed votes (RL difficulties or whatever). If a player dies and the trend holds (it likely won't to perfection, I grant), we have 23 votes on Day 2.

For a comfortable set of three wagons, I think we'd need about 5 votes on third place to be comfortable, and 4 votes to be decent. A three-way tie at 5-5-5 is manageable, but only if civilians do not bicker over minutia. Golden is definitely right about this if the tally ends up being a buffet of 1 or 2 vote wagons. If #6 is selected, any civilian involved is shouldering a responsibility to ensure that doesn't happen. We don't have to decide immediately or place undeviating votes, but we do have to maintain dialogue all day long and be available to work the poll the way it must be worked. If you cannot guarantee your ability to do that, then #6 may not be for you.

If 23 people vote, I think it's enough. It's not a sure thing like 27-30 might be though. If fewer people vote, then it's considerably more likely to be a bad time.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

colonialbob wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:32 am

A reminder, we're virtually guaranteed at least one mafioso in the random 8, and very likely we'll have at least 2.

Wha huh?? Can you please do the math for me? How many mafia do you think is on each team?

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

That’s Silver, at best.

I mean, to be fair, I think option 6 is actively mafia-favouring, but with the other 5 I could live with any of them. I mostly picked the one that I think would enable me to best scum hunt. I'm never looking at more than about 8 people at this point in such a large game anyway. May as well have RNG choose the 8.

Also, thinking further about option 6. In theory you are reducing the entire game my a single day/night phase. This means that you would only be gaining one extra lynch, not two. You'll be stealing the second from a later point in time where we're more informed.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Scotty wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:35 am
colonialbob wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:32 am

Wha huh?? Can you please do the math for me? How many mafia do you think is on each team?
Balance would suggest 5, but 4 is possible, and then anything is possible given Mac promised nothing about balance.

Return to “Previous Jobs”