38%

Total votes: 13
Hally
alien shapeshifter
Posts in topic: 447
Preferred Pronouns: they/them

Re: Grasslands [Game Thread]

Post by Hally »

its so classic town!nut to out a read with so much confidence and then immediately waffle on it in like the next post. i don’t think i’ve ever read nut incorrectly plz sheep
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image ImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 327
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

im actually a hydra of iaafr and tsp
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

postcaps can suck eggs
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

staypositivefriend wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:54 pm
Hally wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:48 pm
staypositivefriend wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:43 pm
Hally wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:36 pm
staypositivefriend wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:32 pm
Alison wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:26 pm
staypositivefriend wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:22 pm

i was wondering if you were going to bring up #93 - that's actually the strongest towntell i've seen from tutuu so far too. i feel like scum would be searching for viable targets to push on in a game with as many strong players as this, and i very much like that tutuu is willing to throw out a townread on someone for what is an admittedly tiny/small reason. it feels completely contrary to how scum have a tendency to avoid boxing themselves in - it feels like tutuu is literally doing that to her self

also, hey jagged! i'm stoked youre here
That's not the reason I townread 93. I don't really think tutuu is the type of player who takes playerlist that strongly into consideration when trying to plan out her scumplay; her playstyle doesn't strike me as being that competitive or control freak-y. I liked 93 because giving out a townread for a reason that doesn't super make sense logically but that she vibes with emotionally is something that town tutuu does a lot. I think LC's slang stuff has endeared him to tutuu, and gives off a pretty "chill" vibe that she's gut townreading. It's pretty on brand for town tutuu to express a gut townread + "I like this person so they're town" sentiment with a post like 93.
tbh my thought process about that post was fairly different from yours, but i find your reasoning legitimate as well. i'm working from a very small framework of what i know about how tutuu plays mafia, but her townread on long con in that post gives me similar vibes to how she townread JPIC in radiohead mafia for something that was counter-intuitive but felt "right" to her in her gut
Hally wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:22 pm i actually did a double take at these posts. i’m like.... so confused by this read. like do you think scum!nut is like so bad that she would see tutuu assume a read she hadn’t actually given and go “gee wiz, ig i have to tr sloonei now since tutuu assumed i did.” like, is scum!nut incapable of correcting wrong assumptions? why is this towny? i really don’t get it
i had a similar gut reaction to sloonei's response to me - i think that he's townreading nutella for being firm in her point instead of over-explaining herself, but the wording lacks the clarity that sloonei's reads generally have
Hally wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:30 pm town:
spf
tutuu
alison

town lean:
martin
nut
nook
thun maybe

scum:
sloonei

ama
why do u think im town? and why do u have nutella as a town lean but me as town when u specifically brought attention to nutella being town in your catch-up but did not explicitly out a read on me? i'm curious about ur thought process
you’re town because you are :p um no really, i liked your reaction test thing and just generally am finding your presence to be town!you. idk how to explain it better than that
lol this makes sense to me, and there's been a few points while reading your catch-up posts where im like: "oh this definitely sounds like hallytown, i should tr them" and then my brain immediately comes to a screeching halt because im trying not to let myself get pocketed by you too easily :p i think that if you are town ill know with a good degree of confidence by the end of today though
ok full disclosure: i was afraid of this going into the game. like when i saw i randed town i was like “but spf and sloonei are gonna be so paranoid of me now if they’re town and i might not be able to work with them as well.” like particularly with you, im scared that even if we agree on stuff you’ll be so nervous that im just pocketing you that you won’t wanna just accept that im town, which is gonna suck for both of us. idk if that will actually happen but yea, i am cognizant of this
yeah, that's a legitimate fear to have - i think it's fair to say that im a lot more cautious about you than i have been before. i'm gonna try my best to read you independently of my paranoia toward you. i also think that i've learned a little bit more about the difference btwn your scum game & your town game after seeing you play as both in champs

also, you seem pretty confident that nutella is town based on your most recent post to her - and i think it's curious that you only have her as a "town lean". has nutella fooled you a lot as mafia in the past? i don't know how relevant this read is, but something that i noticed is that nutella's tone is drastically different in this game than it was in radiohead mafia. i immediately noticed in radiohead that nutella's tone was more disengaged and driven by looking for people to target, but her scumhunting feels a lot more authentic to me so far in this game. there is a real sense of conviction to her tone that i did not experience at all in radiohead
fair re: first paragraph. im just gonna do my thing and trust you’ll get there

re: nut - she was a town lean but has now moved up to firm town. and yes, your read is exactly right. that’s how you read nut
staypositivefriend
Hitman
Posts in topic: 219
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by staypositivefriend »

Sloonei wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:52 pm I am town and stand by my read on nutella.
how do u feel about the early pushes on you? do you think all of them are coming from a sincere place?
Thunal33
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 313

Post by Thunal33 »

Hally wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:55 pm its so classic town!nut to out a read with so much confidence and then immediately waffle on it in like the next post. i don’t think i’ve ever read nut incorrectly plz sheep
Regardless of your alignment I think Nutella is town partly from your post. I don't see you as scum ever doing this to a teammate and I don't think town!you would read Nutella incorrectly here. Will sheep.

Also I'm still null on you mostly from paranoia. I have noticed a few differences in your playstyle when you're scum but even when you're scum it's so easy to get caught up in your 1 million towny posts and talk myself out of any suspicion. This isn't shading just a feeling I have since I haven't been town in a full game with you for awhile.
ImageImage
Thunal33
Loan Shark

Post by Thunal33 »

nutella wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:56 pm postcaps can suck eggs
ikr, a post cap of 100 mostly makes me post just as much while being nervous I'll reach the post cap. Also is there a way to turn off the "review your post, there are new posts in the thread" thing? That's kind of annoying.
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 275
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

staypositivefriend wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:00 pm
Sloonei wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:52 pm I am town and stand by my read on nutella.
how do u feel about the early pushes on you? do you think all of them are coming from a sincere place?
Idk, i’m distracted at the moment so I haven’t read them in detail. nutella tinfoiling me is on brand.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

quick note about the setup before i forget

so like, this setup is unique in that you can vote for multiple people but can’t unvote. but we each shouldn’t actually vote more than one person, and here’s why:

if everyone votes like three people each day, the power of any one vote is diluted and each vote has less accountability attached to it. it also totally screws up wagon analysis. the last time we played this over on perc, i remember one scum just kept voting like all three of the top wagons for example. but what this does is just move everyone up one and it makes it very hard to tell who actually wants who dead. also people wait to vote because they’re locked, and that also screws with wagon analysis. it’s not good

what we should do instead is phantom votes. as in,instead of voting with vote tags and in the poll, just bold whatever “vote” you want to cast itt. you can place your phantom vote at whatever time you would normally want to vote someone. then towards the end of the day when you’re more sure, you can place your official vote with vote tags as well as in the poll

then we add votes wherever necessary to get everyone higher than whoever we want to have as the lowest voted player that day. but those votes are just a mechanical formality and don’t count for wagon analysis

does this make sense to everyone?
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

example phantom vote

vote sloonei

now we know that if voting were normal mechanics, my vote would currently be on sloonei
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 94
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

How do we keep track of phantom votes? Regular re-posting of the phantom tally?
Thunal33
Loan Shark

Post by Thunal33 »

Hally wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:10 pm quick note about the setup before i forget

so like, this setup is unique in that you can vote for multiple people but can’t unvote. but we each shouldn’t actually vote more than one person, and here’s why:

if everyone votes like three people each day, the power of any one vote is diluted and each vote has less accountability attached to it. it also totally screws up wagon analysis. the last time we played this over on perc, i remember one scum just kept voting like all three of the top wagons for example. but what this does is just move everyone up one and it makes it very hard to tell who actually wants who dead. also people wait to vote because they’re locked, and that also screws with wagon analysis. it’s not good

what we should do instead is phantom votes. as in,instead of voting with vote tags and in the poll, just bold whatever “vote” you want to cast itt. you can place your phantom vote at whatever time you would normally want to vote someone. then towards the end of the day when you’re more sure, you can place your official vote with vote tags as well as in the poll

then we add votes wherever necessary to get everyone higher than whoever we want to have as the lowest voted player that day. but those votes are just a mechanical formality and don’t count for wagon analysis

does this make sense to everyone?
Hally wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:13 pm example phantom vote

vote sloonei

now we know that if voting were normal mechanics, my vote would currently be on sloonei
Agreed, I remember making my phantom votes pretty and non-accepted colors when I played this setup.
ImageImage
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 131
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

Thunal33 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:33 pm
Hally wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:30 pm town:
spf
tutuu
alison

town lean:
martin
nut
nook
thun maybe

scum:
sloonei

ama
Reminder that my permascum curse is only on MU.

Also, I'm kind of intimidated by this playerlist lol. 4 champs finalists and players like Nutella and Alison who I've played with and know they're good?
I was also a champs finalist but don’t worry making finale means very little in terms of how skilled you are

Ok back to not posting, everyone please remember the plan is for everyone to vote everyone except me, then I’ll vote one player
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dyslexicon
<3
Posts in topic: 29

Post by Dyslexicon »

[mention]tutuu[/mention]
[mention]Hally[/mention]
[mention]Long Con[/mention]
[mention]NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME[/mention]
[mention]Sloonei[/mention]
[mention]novaselinenever[/mention]
[mention]staypositivefriend[/mention]
[mention]Thunal33[/mention]
[mention]nutella[/mention]
[mention]MartinGG99[/mention]
[mention]Alison[/mention]
[mention]Carotenoid[/mention]
[mention]JaggedJimmyJay[/mention]

* Post cap will be lifted 2 hours before EoD each day. ^^
Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 185

Post by Alison »

If we're going to do the "Tammy/Sam" strategy I outlined in the signups thread, it may be best to have two kinds of phantom votes, one phantom vote for who we're going to give the gun to, and one vote for who we think is scummy and want to send into the Grasslands so they can be killed by the gun-wielder. I will represent these by Scum Vote: X and Town Vote: Y.

Currently, my votes are:
Scum Vote: Sloonei

and

Town Vote: Nanook

I'm not sure nanook is actually the towniest player in the game, but he has decent equity of townsiding with his gun usage (since it would be pretty suicidal to demand the gun on post 1 when you're intending to use it to go rogue by shooting a townie) regardless of his alignment, and I also think he is the kind of player that would know when is the best time to go rogue with the gun.
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

oh we're doing a cap lift, good to know

and I agree with everything alison said in the post just above

scum phantomvote: sloonei
town phantomvote: nanook
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
staypositivefriend
Hitman

fwiw id rather nominate nutella/martin/(possibly?) hally to take the shot over nanook. i don't see the point in not nominating the person u tr the most confidently
Alison

Post by Alison »

Actually the gun person gets the doc save too right? I kind of want to nominate tutuu then, she has the highest combination of town equity + "being targeted N1 by mafia" equity. That's probably more important than nanook having good judgement about when to go rogue.

Town Vote: tutuu[/vote]
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

Long Con wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:20 pm How do we keep track of phantom votes? Regular re-posting of the phantom tally?
we can just keep a manual count yea

———

also re: voting for the villager we want to send, judgement is not really a factor because we’re all collectively deciding who we kill by voting them during the day phase. and the villager we send to give the kill to should basically ~never deviate and kill the person that scum sends because this way scum has no power to influence the elimination and we remove the wifom of “why was this person sent, are they scum like or does scum want us to kill them” etc. so the kill is already determined going into the night phase and then everyone who’s in the treehouse gives it to the villager we sent to carry it out

so yes, it should be the person we want to doc save basically
Alison

Post by Alison »

So we all realvote for the player who we want to kill, and then realvote for ourselves once, except for the person nominated to be saved, right? That way the doc'd person has 0 votes, and the person we voted to die will have the most, so they're the two to be sent to the grasslands?
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 233
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei read nutella as town because her "I never said Sloonei is a town read" thing is analogous to what he did with Jack in the champs finale.

Link

Same stuff.

To this point I don't have some stellar "Sloonei is town" moment, but I at least follow him on that point. I'll see how I feel moving forward.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

thought dump

martin has some pretty nuanced thoughts so far both about the setup and then later re: his read on thun. his tone is also good imo. i would be pretty impressed if he was able to deliver such nuanced thoughts in such a genuine sounding way as mafia given his limited experience. wanna see if he can keep it up but yea, pretty towny so far

thun is also pretty towny. she’s a good wolf though and can replicate her town meta pretty well. she also has a tone that’s generally kinda hard to read. but her thoughts as town have greater nuance and depth than her scum game, and i’m seeing that here so far. don’t feel like shes forcing stuff. again, not gonna lock this in because it’s still early but so far i feel good about her

nook’s “just let me decide who to kill and ill take care of business” seems like town!nook lol. not actually sure he wouldn’t be brazen enough to push for it as scum but idk, not worried about it rn

and with sloonei, the best way i can put it is like how alison did. when i read his posts about why nut was town, my immediate reaction was “he’s just making this up, this isn’t a real read.” i dont disagree with the conclusion obviously because im like 99% sure nut is a villager rn. but i am extremely concerned that sloonei had that read before i think he “should” have. it makes me think he has tmi that nut is town and that was coloring his perception of her posts so he thought she had towntold before she actually did. but like, idk if sloonei would make a mistake like that as scum? and sloonei in particular is someone i really really really want to find if he’s town because he’s a huge asset if so. but nut, tutuu, alison, spf and i all noticing that he seems off does give me more confidence in the read than i usually might have. idk my mind is definitely not made up though and i want to see what he does going forward and how he responds to the pressure

vote: spf
vote: sloonei
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

nutella wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:46 pmI've just gotten enough scum pings from them that I'd be really surprised if they're both town, and currently lean toward sloonei being the wolf and hally just setting me off a bit at first but being within their town range probably
What did Hally do to set you off?
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I don't trust Alison.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:52 am Sloonei read nutella as town because her "I never said Sloonei is a town read" thing is analogous to what he did with Jack in the champs finale.

Link

Same stuff.

To this point I don't have some stellar "Sloonei is town" moment, but I at least follow him on that point. I'll see how I feel moving forward.
I remember that exchange quite well and I don't see the comparison here at all. Feels way different imo.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

nutella wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:01 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:52 am Sloonei read nutella as town because her "I never said Sloonei is a town read" thing is analogous to what he did with Jack in the champs finale.

Link

Same stuff.

I remember that exchange quite well and I don't see the comparison here at all. Feels way different imo.
I'll let Sloonei speak to that. I saw the parallel immediately.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

Alison wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:35 am So we all realvote for the player who we want to kill, and then realvote for ourselves once, except for the person nominated to be saved, right? That way the doc'd person has 0 votes, and the person we voted to die will have the most, so they're the two to be sent to the grasslands?
yea basically

Link

Same stuff.

i don’t really get what that post is supposed to illustrate. the crux of my issue with sloonei’s read is not that i doubt he, as town, has moments where he “corrects the record” about where his reads are. my issue is that just because he sometimes does that as town doesn’t mean that he should see nut doing it and read her town for her it because doing something as town is not the same thing as that thing being town indicative. scum can easily correct wrong assumptions about what their reads are too. that’s my issue with it. that it feels like a made up reason to tr someone, not that he has, in the past, done it as town. so that post doesn’t really tell me anything. what would be more telling is if there’s a post that shows town!him reading someone else town for doing what he tr nut for. does that make sense? like idk, how does the post you linked address the complaint we have with sloonei’s read iyo?
staypositivefriend
Hitman

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:59 am I don't trust Alison.
any particular reason why? i actually don't townread her yet either, and the only reason that's concerning to me is that she almost immediately became obvious town to me in radiohead
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Hally wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:03 am i don’t really get what that post is supposed to illustrate. the crux of my issue with sloonei’s read is not that i doubt he, as town, has moments where he “corrects the record” about where his reads are. my issue is that just because he sometimes does that as town doesn’t mean that he should see nut doing it and read her town for her it because doing something as town is not the same thing as that thing being town indicative. scum can easily correct wrong assumptions about what their reads are too. that’s my issue with it. that it feels like a made up reason to tr someone, not that he has, in the past, done it as town. so that post doesn’t really tell me anything. what would be more telling is if there’s a post that shows town!him reading someone else town for doing what he tr nut for. does that make sense? like idk, how does the post you linked address the complaint we have with sloonei’s read iyo?
If Sloonei knows he is capable of doing [what he perceived nutella to be doing] as town, particularly when that very thing got him a rash of erroneous shit in the finale, then he is capable of seeing a town nutella as a product of that parallel. If Sloonei is town he senses a certain frankness from nutella that indicates she is not averse to stating what could be viewed as a "backtrack" or a "posture" in the eyes of some people -- e.g. "I was making posts that could be construed as favorable for Jack, but I don't town read him" --> That is going to draw the ire of civilians. It did draw the ire of civilians, because it is easy to misconstrue. nutella did essentially the same thing, and indeed tutuu's initial question in response mirrored my own intuitive reaction. I thought nutella was calling Sloonei a town read myself. She clarified otherwise, some people might read it as a backtrack, Sloonei recognized the progression in his own process, and liked what he saw. I don't think that's bad.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

staypositivefriend wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:04 am
any particular reason why? i actually don't townread her yet either, and the only reason that's concerning to me is that she almost immediately became obvious town to me in radiohead
Her initial reads bug me a bit. "Martin already pocketed me" / "Sloonei is making things up" -- there's a hint of "bravado", for lack of a better term, in the tone of those reads that I don't think fits the situation.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

hally explained it way better than I could but yeah basically sloonei's tone in calling jack a snap TR in the finale was way better tonally than what he said about me here
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

nutella wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:08 am hally explained it way better than I could but yeah basically sloonei's tone in calling jack a snap TR in the finale was way better tonally than what he said about me here
To be clear, the parallel I am drawing is between Sloonei's Jack post and your Sloonei post -- not his explanation for his town read of you. There's no parallel for that, because it's a unique read only applicable to Sloonei's brain.

Anyway I would prefer he speak to his so I will cease my influence on the conversation for now.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

staypositivefriend
Hitman

jagged, what's your gth read on sloonei based on the content we have from him so far? i get the sense that you want to defend him, but i find it interesting that you're not particularly taking a stance on his alignment one way or the other
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

staypositivefriend wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:11 am jagged, what's your gth read on sloonei based on the content we have from him so far? i get the sense that you want to defend him, but i find it interesting that you're not particularly taking a stance on his alignment one way or the other
The content to this point is too limited for me to give you the assertive town Sloonei sticker that folks will want from me. Gun to my head though he is town. He will surely make more posts and I will see how I feel.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:07 am
Hally wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:03 am i don’t really get what that post is supposed to illustrate. the crux of my issue with sloonei’s read is not that i doubt he, as town, has moments where he “corrects the record” about where his reads are. my issue is that just because he sometimes does that as town doesn’t mean that he should see nut doing it and read her town for her it because doing something as town is not the same thing as that thing being town indicative. scum can easily correct wrong assumptions about what their reads are too. that’s my issue with it. that it feels like a made up reason to tr someone, not that he has, in the past, done it as town. so that post doesn’t really tell me anything. what would be more telling is if there’s a post that shows town!him reading someone else town for doing what he tr nut for. does that make sense? like idk, how does the post you linked address the complaint we have with sloonei’s read iyo?
If Sloonei knows he is capable of doing [what he perceived nutella to be doing] as town, particularly when that very thing got him a rash of erroneous shit in the finale, then he is capable of seeing a town nutella as a product of that parallel. If Sloonei is town he senses a certain frankness from nutella that indicates she is not averse to stating what could be viewed as a "backtrack" or a "posture" in the eyes of some people -- e.g. "I was making posts that could be construed as favorable for Jack, but I don't town read him" --> That is going to draw the ire of civilians. It did draw the ire of civilians, because it is easy to misconstrue. nutella did essentially the same thing, and indeed tutuu's initial question in response mirrored my own intuitive reaction. I thought nutella was calling Sloonei a town read myself. She clarified otherwise, some people might read it as a backtrack, Sloonei recognized the progression in his own process, and liked what he saw. I don't think that's bad.
okay. i can sort of see what you’re saying about this? but i still don’t quite buy it, and i wish that you had let sloonei clarify his thought process further instead of answering for him. i recognize you were trying to answer me but perhaps holding off until sloonei explained himself would have been better because that may not have been his thought process and if he’s scum you’re giving him the script now
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:08 am
Her initial reads bug me a bit. "Martin already pocketed me" / "Sloonei is making things up" -- there's a hint of "bravado", for lack of a better term, in the tone of those reads that I don't think fits the situation.
seems par for the course for alison. she always states her reads with that kind of tone in my experience. how is it different from town!alison iyo?
staypositivefriend wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:11 am jagged, what's your gth read on sloonei based on the content we have from him so far? i get the sense that you want to defend him, but i find it interesting that you're not particularly taking a stance on his alignment one way or the other
im scared we’re finally in a jay/sloonei w/w nightmare world
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

jay, can i get some more non-sloonei related thoughts please? do you have any reads besides not trusting alison?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Hally wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:16 am okay. i can sort of see what you’re saying about this? but i still don’t quite buy it, and i wish that you had let sloonei clarify his thought process further instead of answering for him. i recognize you were trying to answer me but perhaps holding off until sloonei explained himself would have been better because that may not have been his thought process and if he’s scum you’re giving him the script now
Apparently you don't buy the script anyway. :goofp:
Hally wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:16 amseems par for the course for alison. she always states her reads with that kind of tone in my experience. how is it different from town!alison iyo?
It's precisely the combination of tone and context that rubs me the wrong way. I don't believe the Sloonei stuff warrants that frank "he's making stuff up" take, and I don't know that Martin has earned the "already pocketing me" credit. It just seems a bit fake.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:20 am
Hally wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:16 am okay. i can sort of see what you’re saying about this? but i still don’t quite buy it, and i wish that you had let sloonei clarify his thought process further instead of answering for him. i recognize you were trying to answer me but perhaps holding off until sloonei explained himself would have been better because that may not have been his thought process and if he’s scum you’re giving him the script now
Apparently you don't buy the script anyway. :goofp:
Hally wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:16 amseems par for the course for alison. she always states her reads with that kind of tone in my experience. how is it different from town!alison iyo?
It's precisely the combination of tone and context that rubs me the wrong way. I don't believe the Sloonei stuff warrants that frank "he's making stuff up" take, and I don't know that Martin has earned the "already pocketing me" credit. It just seems a bit fake.
i also basically accused sloonei of making up that read. am i fake? and what’s your read on martin then?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Hally wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:18 am jay, can i get some more non-sloonei related thoughts please? do you have any reads besides not trusting alison?
tutuu is town. You're town. I think SPF seems town. The more careful language there is deliberate.

I am not conclusively town on nutella, for similar reasons to Alison albeit with a weaker stance on my part. Her suspicion of Sloonei is almost token; I don't know why she was suspicious of you or opened with the dichotomous read between you and Sloonei. There's a hint of caricature in her posts.

I'm still processing stuff.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Hally wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:21 am i also basically accused sloonei of making up that read. am i fake? and what’s your read on martin then?
Nah. Alison said it first and it fit into your preconception of Sloonei being suspicious, and I sense innocent bias in that. I have no idea about Martin.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Carotenoid
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 21
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/herself

Post by Carotenoid »

So far I feel like Thunal is really reserved. There's a kind of weirdish balance between very specific reactions and general agreeing/bouncing off that feels a bit like ~blending in.
Thunal33 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:00 pm
MartinGG99 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:54 pm I also think I can town-lean Thunal33 so far.

His explanation didn't match what I think a scum would be possibly inclined to say.
What do you think a scum would be inclined to say?
Thunal33 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:24 pm
MartinGG99 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:06 pm
staypositivefriend wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:56 pm
MartinGG99 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:54 pm I also think I can town-lean Thunal33 so far.

His explanation didn't match what I think a scum would be possibly inclined to say.
can you expand on this a little bit more? how would you expect scum to react to your question, and how did her answer differ?
I think a scum would point to my aforementioned level of experience in FM games with regards to my comfort level in response. As in, that would be the easy argument to make; a new player who's scum may be more uncomfortable than most players.

Instead, Thunal33 starts talking about themselves in comparison, and that's why they think my comfort level can be AI at the moment.

As to whether that's something they can do as part of one's "scumrange", I don't know and time will tell.

For the moment though, I think that process of thought or reasoning was more likely to be from town than scum.
That makes sense, I don't think I would talk about how I'm often nervous at the start as scum if I'm nervous scum.
The second post (it's the answer to post #1) feels really weird. It's like, acknowledging it for the sake of acknowledging it and the way Thunal is agreeing with the townread on her doesn't feel super natural, especially since the initial question was not answered.
ImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Hally wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:16 am
it's about damn time tbh and would be fitting of 2020
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
staypositivefriend
Hitman

Hally wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:16 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:07 am
okay. i can sort of see what you’re saying about this? but i still don’t quite buy it, and i wish that you had let sloonei clarify his thought process further instead of answering for him. i recognize you were trying to answer me but perhaps holding off until sloonei explained himself would have been better because that may not have been his thought process and if he’s scum you’re giving him the script now
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:08 am
seems par for the course for alison. she always states her reads with that kind of tone in my experience. how is it different from town!alison iyo?
fwiw, i kind of doubt that this is how jagged would react to his partner being pressured this early into the game. jagged sticking his neck out for a player that everyone scumreads would be such a blatant angle for jagged to take with his partner that it feels unlikely. but the fact that i dont particularly tr sloonei/jagged yet is genuinely concerning to me
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:23 am I think SPF seems town. The more careful language there is deliberate.

I had to chew on this tidbit of self-awareness for a while
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Carotenoid
Drug Dealer

Post by Carotenoid »

I don't get the commotion about Sloonei tbh, I believe that he believes in his read. :P
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

If I had a nickel for every JJJ-Sloonei team theory I have encountered in my day.

I'd be dead because the nickels would crush me.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Carotenoid
Drug Dealer

Post by Carotenoid »

Hally why did you townread Alison?
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

nutella wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:27 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:23 am I think SPF seems town. The more careful language there is deliberate.

I had to chew on this tidbit of self-awareness for a while
Her tone seems appropriate. Her posts seem fine. I am just not quite seeing the screaming-obvious townie that I remember yet. The game is very young.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Carotenoid wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:25 am So far I feel like Thunal is really reserved. There's a kind of weirdish balance between very specific reactions and general agreeing/bouncing off that feels a bit like ~blending in.
Thunal33 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:00 pm

What do you think a scum would be inclined to say?
Thunal33 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:24 pm
MartinGG99 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:06 pm
staypositivefriend wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:56 pm

can you expand on this a little bit more? how would you expect scum to react to your question, and how did her answer differ?
I think a scum would point to my aforementioned level of experience in FM games with regards to my comfort level in response. As in, that would be the easy argument to make; a new player who's scum may be more uncomfortable than most players.

Instead, Thunal33 starts talking about themselves in comparison, and that's why they think my comfort level can be AI at the moment.

As to whether that's something they can do as part of one's "scumrange", I don't know and time will tell.

For the moment though, I think that process of thought or reasoning was more likely to be from town than scum.
That makes sense, I don't think I would talk about how I'm often nervous at the start as scum if I'm nervous scum.
The second post (it's the answer to post #1) feels really weird. It's like, acknowledging it for the sake of acknowledging it and the way Thunal is agreeing with the townread on her doesn't feel super natural, especially since the initial question was not answered.
hi carotte, I like that you're bringing in independent observations and creating content on new topics but it also kinda feels like you're out of touch with the conversation happening in the rest of the thread, do you have any thoughts on people/topics who have been more discussed? again not trying to discredit your take on thunal here and think it's worth exploring, just curious that she's your only point of interest so far
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Carotenoid wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:28 am I don't get the commotion about Sloonei tbh, I believe that he believes in his read. :P
oh alright lol
Image Image Image Image
Image Image

Return to “Previous Rackets”