Moderator: Community Team

Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 276
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Re: Space Invaders [Day 1]

Post by Alison »

Epignosis wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:19 pm
Alison wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:18 pm this "you'll all regret shooting me" stuff from epi is super forced

epi, dys, drago and one more
What does "forced" look like when it isn't "super forced?"
for one, I think the "you'll all regret shooting me when I flip town" attitude comes from town most often when they are actually about to die. like l-1 with thread consensus to kill them in a regular game, or when the laser gun operator has announced their intention to shoot them in this game.

this mindset generally comes from frustration at the fact that they're being unfairly killed even though they are town, along with the bittersweet knowledge that they'll shortly be revealed to be town and then everyone who suspected them is going to have egg on their face. it only makes sense if you're actually about to die, otherwise that frustration and gloating attitude doesn't occur.

i think you are faking it in order to get townread for that attitude
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 415

Re: Space Invaders [Day 0]

Post by Epignosis »

Dyslexicon wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:16 pm Actually, having a good town core can get us far this game. Ok, I like this setup again.
I don't believe you.

"Actually having a good town core can get us far this game."

You don't say. :rolleyes:

You're a phony.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Alison wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 pm
Alison wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:18 pm this "you'll all regret shooting me" stuff from epi is super forced

for one, I think the "you'll all regret shooting me when I flip town" attitude comes from town most often when they are actually about to die. like l-1 with thread consensus to kill them in a regular game, or when the laser gun operator has announced their intention to shoot them in this game.

this mindset generally comes from frustration at the fact that they're being unfairly killed even though they are town, along with the bittersweet knowledge that they'll shortly be revealed to be town and then everyone who suspected them is going to have egg on their face. it only makes sense if you're actually about to die, otherwise that frustration and gloating attitude doesn't occur.

In this setup, I don't need to fake anything to get "townread" from any of you.

I just need to fool nutella. I know how to do that plenty. :)
Alison

Post by Alison »

Epignosis wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:23 pm

discussion in the thread can bias nutella. if everyone in the thread is talking about how townie you are and how your attitude makes you more likely to be town, that increases the % chance that nutella doesn't shoot you. conversely, being read as town means people are more likely to listen to your reads so you can push mislasers or just lead town astray. the idea that the way this setup works means scum doesn't benefit at all from trying to look town in front of everyone is a hot lie
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Alison wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:27 pm
Epignosis wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:23 pm

discussion in the thread can bias nutella. if everyone in the thread is talking about how townie you are and how your attitude makes you more likely to be town, that increases the % chance that nutella doesn't shoot you. conversely, being read as town means people are more likely to listen to your reads so you can push mislasers or just lead town astray. the idea that the way this setup works means scum doesn't benefit at all from trying to look town in front of everyone is a hot lie
My goal is to bias nutella.
Alison

Post by Alison »

maybe epi is town after all and this is just the way his personality works
Alison

Post by Alison »

dyslexicon's "everyone is town or null except drago" readslist still reeks of bussing to me and I think there's a significant chance that they're partners together
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

nutella has plenty of capacity to think for herself.

There is plenty of "math" in the thread, none of which is sound.

I propose this:

nutella should inform the individual before she shoots him or her. That individual should name those he or she suspects / everyone he or she doesn't. Aliens have no way of protecting themselves. This way, no bunker is caught off guard without a chance to give opinions.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Fully caught up in the thread.

reads (towniest to least townie) :
Alison & nutella - lock
tutuu - strongest town
nanook - second strongest town
dunya - I liked the case on drago quite a bit
protocultures - I think there's a significant chance that spending 2000 words analyzing the setup and doing math for the optimal town protection scheme comes from town and not mafia
Long Con / rej / soneji / bimbo - null slot
tonystarkprime / carotenoid - one or two posts that pinged me (#261 for tony, #323 for caro) but everything else is fine
Epignosis - second highest scum read, slightly weaker now that I see epig's attitude carries over everywhere which points to it being a personality thing rather than him forcing a specific attitude
macdougall / dyslexicon - mafia for reasons explained above
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Alison wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:29 pm maybe epi is town after all and this is just the way his personality works
How does my personality work?
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 345
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Epignosis wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:38 pm
Alison wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:29 pm maybe epi is town after all and this is just the way his personality works
Bold of you to assume it does.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

And how is that indicative of me being good?
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 490

Post by dunya »

Let's Zap Drago Outta Here
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Why is Drago not a vote option o.O
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

dunya wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:40 pm Why is Drago not a vote option o.O
Why am I the only one with a vote?
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

nutella wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:39 pm
Bold of you to assume it does.
Hahahaha that is such a dad joke yessss
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 345
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

He RWSTFOed and is now Mac
to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Epignosis wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:41 pm
Why am I the only one with a vote?
I voted Dizzy. You're in good company now. I need to catch up
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

nutella wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:41 pm
He RWSTFOed and is now Mac
Oh i thought mac woulda replaced bimbo. Hmmm okay.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Zap Mac Right Outta Here
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

protocultures wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:18 pm well people now seem on board with rng 3 people to save night 1 onto Nutella. So thats good at least. It would really help if Nutella can indicate who those 3 should be, along with confirmation from those 3 that they WILL save Nutella in the night so we arent scrambling at the end of Day 1 to lock in actions although from my understanding, we still have 48 hours to get to the end of night 1 phase.

I am also being townread by Nutella for now so no danger of being yeeted day 1 either.

I am undecided on whether to continue pushing for mixed save strategy and forcing aliens to kill into smaller poe to obtain cleaner info on potential saves. It may be better to work backwards and see from which point town can get auto and see how many bunker saves we would need. I cant current figure this out, but maybe someone else can. I actually cant see a point where town would have auto tbh, so this might be a dead end but will continue to contemplate it as a concept. Or perhaps someone will find some cool strategy to win.

I currently tend to think that this should be viewed as a sprint and not a marathon for town to have any decent chance of winning. 3 bunkers and 4 aliens alive seems pretty unwinnable (maybe 6%? something like that as a finger in the air metric) to me, even if they all have 3 saves left. The even night 2 KP really really will demolish town in that scenario. Strongly believe we need to win by day 9. Trying to go beyond this is probably possible, but reduces chances of town winning imo.

Nutella seems on board with saving/killing into a smaller poe, but others dont seem keen. Trying to avoid being the nagging math guy in my first forum game.

Also unsure whether it is beneficial/worthwhile to indicate my personal town/alien reads since the only ones that matter are Nutellas takes anyway. I dont hate Nutella's latest reads so think I am happy to coast a little while.

I have also never played in a long form game where the aliens have full chat the entire way though so kind of no idea how that meta plays out. I imagine you can set up some epic shenanigans with this.
Still unclear whether we get flips on death from the town laser kill.

Even nights I imagine will be hilarious and day 3 is where I expect the game to get spicy and proper town circles get created.

@Long Con - feel free to ask any questions, I dont bite. Kind of surprised my posts gave that tone - not intentional.

Curious if there is a link/resource to the origin of this game setup to see how it played out. I understand it has been modifies slightly for here though.

@TonyStarkPrime my plan is only for Night 1, it is not intended to chain for 4 nights in a row. It spends too many bunker saves. There is probably a value for quasi confirmed town in terms of bunkler saves, at each game state but dont ask me to quanitify it.

Still curious whether aliens are forced to kill at night or if they can holster. If they can, there is no merit in spending bunker saves to get quaisi confirmed town.

Still trying to get my head around the fact that there is no merit in being alive as town if you dont have bunker saves remaining. As such, using the last bunker save on yourself should be identified as a very bad thing to do.
Flag on the play.

If you are a bunker, your best avenue is not to develop and express opinions of people?
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Dizzy feels weird this game. Like they're *trying* too hard to look non-alien like. Can't put my finger on it...

(But I get that's hard for Dizzy cos they are simply outta this worlddddd. ;p)
Alison

Post by Alison »

I originally suspected you because I thought you were trying too hard to project the "shoot me if you want, you'll all regret it when I flip town" attitude. My evidence that this was forced was "town doesn't actually act like this unless they're actually on the verge of dying". But later on you seemed to carry this "I am town, I don't care what anyone else thinks, and I don't care if I die because it proves all my haters wrong" attitude everywhere you went which made me think it may be just linked to your personality rather than a false front you put up.

The specific post that made me think that way was you just saying straight up "yes, my goal is to bias nutella", which reflects a very "I don't care about anyone else, I'm doing it my way" way of thinking that matches up with the "I don't care if you shoot me, you'll only regret it" attitude you had earlier
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Epi is Lord, Master, so you can imagine the size of that title and how he carries it on his shoulders :p
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Alison wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:32 pm ok, misread the OP - I thought each Bunker could only protect once. Apparently they have 4 shots. Still not enough to waste them on a mass protect of every player in the game.
How are you a civilian?
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

dunya wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:49 pm Epi is Lord, Master, so you can imagine the size of that title and how he carries it on his shoulders :p
My shoulders are really sexy and brown now. :nicenod:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Alison wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:37 pm
nutella wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:35 pm Okay so I'm not the only one who thought that mightve been a slip. XD
It's not a slip. :P In games with open setups, if I forgot or am confused about some aspect of the game, I usually refer to the OP to check the game mechanics rather than my role PM so I don't have to leave the thread. I've done it both as town and scum before.
If you are a bunker, you know what you're doing. I don't understand this, especially with your criticism of my own plan early on. If you don't understand what bunkers are capable of, how in the world can you criticize a bunker's plan?
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Imagine if dizzy and Alison both scumslipped based on the same thing.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Epignosis wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:52 pm
nutella wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:35 pm Okay so I'm not the only one who thought that mightve been a slip. XD
It's not a slip. :P In games with open setups, if I forgot or am confused about some aspect of the game, I usually refer to the OP to check the game mechanics rather than my role PM so I don't have to leave the thread. I've done it both as town and scum before.
If you are a bunker, you know what you're doing. I don't understand this, especially with your criticism of my own plan early on. If you don't understand what bunkers are capable of, how in the world can you criticize a bunker's plan?
I thought Bunkers had 1 shot protects (which was why I was so adamant in not having a fixed strategy to use them - if you have very limited heals, you want to make them count, which means you want to "snipe" mafia kills, not waste them on trying to mechanically lock the game down). Then Long Con said "we have 4 shots" in #34, I checked the OP and realized I was mistaken, and corrected myself. At the time I criticized your plan, I was under the impression we only had one shot (although I still think it's not correct now that I know we have 4).
Alison

Post by Alison »

is dizzy = dyslexicon?
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Alison wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:55 pm is dizzy = dyslexicon?
Yep!
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange
Posts in topic: 464

Post by MacDougall »

dunya wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:44 pm Zap Mac Right Outta Here
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Alison wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:55 pm
I thought Bunkers had 1 shot protects (which was why I was so adamant in not having a fixed strategy to use them - if you have very limited heals, you want to make them count, which means you want to "snipe" mafia kills, not waste them on trying to mechanically lock the game down). Then Long Con said "we have 4 shots" in #34, I checked the OP and realized I was mistaken, and corrected myself. At the time I criticized your plan, I was under the impression we only had one shot (although I still think it's not correct now that I know we have 4).
It was my plan, not epis. And it doesn't work for reasons discussed later.

End that day early! Zappa Mac!
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

I have zero comprehension of this game, the tactics required to win it, the language protocultures speaks or the reason Dragomir was a suspect and until someone bothers enriching me with knowledge I will just potato.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Dragomir basically outed himself as scum to me baby. :shifty: you're a goner
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Alison wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:47 pm
I originally suspected you because I thought you were trying too hard to project the "shoot me if you want, you'll all regret it when I flip town" attitude. My evidence that this was forced was "town doesn't actually act like this unless they're actually on the verge of dying". But later on you seemed to carry this "I am town, I don't care what anyone else thinks, and I don't care if I die because it proves all my haters wrong" attitude everywhere you went which made me think it may be just linked to your personality rather than a false front you put up.

The specific post that made me think that way was you just saying straight up "yes, my goal is to bias nutella", which reflects a very "I don't care about anyone else, I'm doing it my way" way of thinking that matches up with the "I don't care if you shoot me, you'll only regret it" attitude you had earlier
You don't care to figure me out. You have preconceived ideas about what I should look like and you are struggling to place me in ones that suit you.

You are Alien.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

dunya wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:59 pm Dragomir basically outed himself as scum to me baby. :shifty: you're a goner
No he didn't
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Alison wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:55 pm
I won't argue. nutella's the judge, not me.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

dunya wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:28 am
Dragomir wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:42 am Your response didn't move me, I've been town reading you for the majority of this phase so far, but I wanted to check one last time to see if I should lock it or not.
majority implies there were instances where dragomir didn't townread me. where are these instances? can anyone gleam those from looking at his iso?

why do you need to "lock" me as town? when has locking someone as town on day 0 ever been a goal of like, anyone? how did that "last check" confirm i am lock town for you at all? if i do say so myself, that's a flimsy ass reasoning i gave. i basically want to see more of carot. i want to be able to read her ideas. i can say there's not been any game solving or hunting by at least 3 or 4 other players. but you were satisfied with my response too easily because TMI.

there's no motive in your post that is believable to me, that shows actual progression on your handling or read of me. you approached me as town and you locked me as town. bad.
Dragomir wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:42 am Your suspicion is making zero sense. I wasn't trying to appear as if I haven't been paying attention. Why would I even do that? I flat out haven't been paying much attention until recently. But noticing Carot has only one post is not something that requires much focus. She had the first post in the game iirc(or was it you and she made the next post?) and she has then made no other post. By noticing a post of hers early and none for the rest of the thread, it's pretty easy to conclude that she has one post.
so you have read the whole game, which means you can offer us a lot more than your iso suggests by way of suspects. and yet, i don't see any game solving, any hunting, any effort to actually set people apart. it's almost like...you already know who's bad and not. :p your iso is all fluff. as someone with 17 posts already and counting, i take issue with that.
Dragomir wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:42 am Dunya, I'm not looking at ppl's profiles out here for no reason. Furthermore, I had stated that I had merely glanced at the majority of the posts in the thread so if you guys had called Carot a she, then I missed it.
that's fair, this is basically only going to become a point for me if carot continues being in my poe, at which point, i may connect you as teammates from the careful wording there. i'm anal like that. :biggrin:
Dragomir wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:42 am This suspicion is pretty trivial. Quite frankly, I don't think the reasons you provided are valid.
oh, there is more. but i am at work not and that post of yours hit the nail in the coffin so to speak.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

But if I were nutella, I'd blow up Allison and Dragomir. Just my two cents'.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Drago gone rogue. Zappa zappa zap zap.

Epi tell me your strongest town reads atm go go gadget!
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

dunya wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:00 pm
dunya wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:28 am
Dragomir wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:42 am Your response didn't move me, I've been town reading you for the majority of this phase so far, but I wanted to check one last time to see if I should lock it or not.
majority implies there were instances where dragomir didn't townread me. where are these instances? can anyone gleam those from looking at his iso?

why do you need to "lock" me as town? when has locking someone as town on day 0 ever been a goal of like, anyone? how did that "last check" confirm i am lock town for you at all? if i do say so myself, that's a flimsy ass reasoning i gave. i basically want to see more of carot. i want to be able to read her ideas. i can say there's not been any game solving or hunting by at least 3 or 4 other players. but you were satisfied with my response too easily because TMI.

there's no motive in your post that is believable to me, that shows actual progression on your handling or read of me. you approached me as town and you locked me as town. bad.
Dragomir wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:42 am Your suspicion is making zero sense. I wasn't trying to appear as if I haven't been paying attention. Why would I even do that? I flat out haven't been paying much attention until recently. But noticing Carot has only one post is not something that requires much focus. She had the first post in the game iirc(or was it you and she made the next post?) and she has then made no other post. By noticing a post of hers early and none for the rest of the thread, it's pretty easy to conclude that she has one post.
so you have read the whole game, which means you can offer us a lot more than your iso suggests by way of suspects. and yet, i don't see any game solving, any hunting, any effort to actually set people apart. it's almost like...you already know who's bad and not. :p your iso is all fluff. as someone with 17 posts already and counting, i take issue with that.
Dragomir wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:42 am Dunya, I'm not looking at ppl's profiles out here for no reason. Furthermore, I had stated that I had merely glanced at the majority of the posts in the thread so if you guys had called Carot a she, then I missed it.
that's fair, this is basically only going to become a point for me if carot continues being in my poe, at which point, i may connect you as teammates from the careful wording there. i'm anal like that. :biggrin:
Dragomir wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:42 am This suspicion is pretty trivial. Quite frankly, I don't think the reasons you provided are valid.
oh, there is more. but i am at work not and that post of yours hit the nail in the coffin so to speak.
You certainly seem to be convinced. But to all of that I say.

Alison

Post by Alison »

hmm
Alison

Post by Alison »

I really really wish I had a one shot day investigate so I could sort epi once and for all
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

I gotta admit, I much prefer hunting for scum the good old fashioned way than mechanical play, every damn time.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Can someone point me at a town please, I'd like to buddy them.
Alison

Post by Alison »

dunya wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:04 pm I gotta admit, I much prefer hunting for scum the good old fashioned way than mechanical play, every damn time.
normally yes but I feel like I need a hefty amount of experience with epi to be able to tell if his play up til now is indicative of town or scum
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 133
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: Love it.
Epignosis wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:32 pm nutella has plenty of capacity to think for herself.

There is plenty of "math" in the thread, none of which is sound.

I propose this:

nutella should inform the individual before she shoots him or her. That individual should name those he or she suspects / everyone he or she doesn't. Aliens have no way of protecting themselves. This way, no bunker is caught off guard without a chance to give opinions.
Is nutella a hammer?
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

Why are you guys bullying Alison. This is no way to treat someone in their first game on Syndicate. You should be ashamed of yourselves tbh.
Alison

Post by Alison »

nutella is the sole determinant of who gets killed by town

Return to “Previous Heists”