SAW [Week 64 - "Home of the Strange"]

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 185

Re: SAW [Week 4 - "Bish Bosch"]

Post by Ricochet »

A Person wrote: They remind me of Gira's latest output, so cringeworthy that they make me embarrassed for him.
ur le grumpy

But I'd agree, the lyrics are the least I concern myself with on Swans' '10s trilogy - The Glowing Man had especially uber edgy and hard to believe ones, probably in light of accusations against Gira that probably happen to be true.

But com'on, Swans' level of creativity and concept on this trilogy has been Philip Glass on dark ritual steroids level. And I'm saying this liking them.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 377
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Ricochet wrote:
A Person wrote: They remind me of Gira's latest output, so cringeworthy that they make me embarrassed for him.
ur le grumpy

But I'd agree, the lyrics are the least I concern myself with on Swans' '10s trilogy - The Glowing Man had especially uber edgy and hard to believe ones, probably in light of accusations against Gira that probably happen to be true.

But com'on, Swans' level of creativity and concept on this trilogy has been Philip Glass on dark ritual steroids level. And I'm saying this liking them.
Someone should nominate a Swans album at some point.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 45

Post by S~V~S »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
S~V~S wrote:OK, I know this guy has a reputation for avant garde stuff, and I have never listened to anything of his before. But it really seems to me that he is almost mocking himself and his listeners. I think he is being INTENTIONALLY funny. But I could be way off base as I have not listened to anything else he has ever recorded.

I am at work, with headphones, and the norseman and the pink mint had me laugh out loud, as did the ish kabibbles. I LOVE this album, I think it is hilarious, and not in a laughing *at* it way.

I absolutely love this album. 5/5
Wow, that's outstanding. I wish I could love this album; I have the utmost respect for it, but there are just parts that are not enjoyable for me. I do love the absurdity of the lyrics though.

You absolutely must check out Tilt and The Drift, at a minimum. It'll be like going backwards through his descent into madness, since Bish Bosch is the most insane, but the quality is there. For my ears, Tilt is just awesome, like the bridge that transitions his baroque pop era to his The Drift/Bish Bosch stuff.
I did hit up Tilt today after Bish Bosch, and between the two it was a bit of sensory overload. I will check out The Drift tomorrow, and then maybe listen to them in order since as I understand it, it is a trilogy?

I never thought I would like such a thing, Bjork is about as avant as I get, but this just really spoke to me. Again, INH, thank you :hugs:
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 29

Post by A Person »

Ricochet wrote:
ur le grumpy

Those accusations that are most likely true are why I haven't listened since. If Gira kicks the bucket i might be persuaded to try again, though.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

2nd listen of Bish Bosch and I do feel I can appreciate it perhaps a bit more, but not enough to massively change my enjoyment.
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 110

Post by Golden »

Well, I took a leap, I'm not all the way through yet, but at the very least it isn't as much of a turn off as I thought it could be based on lyric extracts etc. Because it's clear pretty quickly the lyrics are entirely nonsense.

This album once again reminds me of music school, but not in a good way. It reminds me of being amongst the composition students (or worse, having to perform their music) when they've been doing the avant garde. To be fair, we had (at least at the time I was there) a renowned and strong electronic facility to be used in similar music. I've never truly appreciated this kind of music (it's just not for me) but I struggle to hear much of a difference between Scott Walker and an 18 year old composition student. That doesn't feel like the way it should be. I've come across avant garde that feels truly unique. This doesn't, to me. It feels like the first instinct - some random sounds that sound cool, meaningless lyrics... and yes, as a percussionist, I've had to MAKE many of those sounds. It's just not a comparison I feel flattering. But, then, I'm neither the gourmand of the avant garde, nor the target audience.

I am, however, glad that I am listening to it. If nothing else because I want to listen to rico's review fully informed.

I won't give it a rating yet. It has to be well below Goat Music because that is an album I actually genuinely enjoyed. So, it's really a question of whether I get anything out of it.

(I apologise that this review will sound harsh. But, I'm being honest about my tastes and experiences, and so this is simply a case of mileage will vary).
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

A Person wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
ur le grumpy

Those accusations that are most likely true are why I haven't listened since. If Gira kicks the bucket i might be persuaded to try again, though.
Always a thorny issue, how an artist's "scuminess" as a human being affects listening to his art. Perhaps easier if you don't like / care much for it.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

That can be an important factor for me. Although Michael Jackson, for instance, was never to my taste musically, I know people who did like his music, and I actually got annoyed at family members and friends who continued to listen to his music after all that pedophile stuff came out. It bothered me alot that people thought his artistry somehow ameliorated the situation.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

^I'm inclined to feel the opposite overall, in terms of distancing from the person, but not the art. With exceptions from case to case, of course. In your example, I'm not sure how relevant MJ still *was* at those times of infamy, but I don't think it would be cause to stop me from enjoying, whenever I still hear them, his *(way) prior* catchy classic singles, just like I did back when I was 5 and MTV'ing hard.

It's different when the controversial stuff coincides with a current or past period of time from which you hold his artistic output in high or even relevant regard.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

For instance, I like Scott Walker's music, despite his activity as a retrograde shoddy Wisconsian Republican nobody.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 252

Post by G-Man »

After five runs through this album, I think I have my scores down. I'll give it one more listen tomorrow and close the door on this one. I warmed up to some tracks but I'm still on the 'meh' end of the spectrum on this one.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 22

Post by insertnamehere »

First off, thank you S~V~S for responding so well to the album! I knew when I picked it that it wasn't exactly an "accessible" album that would be to everyone's tastes. Really, I was hoping for one person who hadn't heard it before to discover it and see what I saw in the album, so thank you for giving me that.

Now, Rico, another astoundingly good album review, as usual. I know that you were able to read into the lyrics of the closing track of the album "The Day The "Conducator" Died (An Xmas Song)," in relation to the execution of Nicolae Ceaușescu, but the entire album is filled with dense wordplay and esoteric historical references.

I'd like to try and provide some facts and interpretations to the lyrics in order to help people understand that this album isn't just mere fuckery for the sake of fuckery, but, to borrow an analogy from Rico, a work of Ulysseys-level density and depth.
"See You Don't Bump His Head"

The first line of the album, which is a symbolic summation of the entire album: "While plucking feathers from a swan song," serves as both a reminder of Walker's own impending mortality (he's getting up there in years, and this could be the last album he makes) and a nice grotesque image of a swan, a symbol of beauty and purity, being defiled. The album itself features multiple beautiful musical compositions which become morphed and warped over the course of the songs.

The title is a cut line from the movie From Here To Eternity, where Montgomery Cliff is cautioning soldiers who are loading Maggio's corpse, played by Frank Sinatra, into a truck. You can draw parallels from Walker to Sinatra, or maybe even see Walker in this album emulating what he views as a decomposing zombie version of Sinatra.

Corps de Blah

The funny fart song.

However, the flatulence isn't the only bit of odd instrumentation, as the sound of someone chipping away with a chisel at something or other can be heard.

Lyrically, it reminds me of Bowie's Blackstar in weird ways, which this album can be seen as a demented precursor to. As Walker gets up there in age, he loses control of his body, and his bodily functions as well. In terms of historical references, we've got Sterzig, a bolthole for Nazi war criminals in the aftermath of the Second World War, which can be compared to an old persons' home, or the elderly body itself. As we age, our bodies constrict on themselves, forcing out memories and feeling straight through the sphincter.

Phrasing

Now that we've got that out the way, let's discuss the lyrics. This is one of the shorter, more minimalistic tracks on the album. More references to bodily functions and pain and protein. Klu Klux Klan in the South. Khrushchev-led communists to the east. Pain and suffering in all directions. "Here's to a lousy life" would make for a hell of a ringtone.

SDSS1416+13B (Zercon, A Flagpole Sitter)

This massive, imposing, utterly hilarious centerpiece concerns two dwarves. One, the coldest sub-stellar body in the universe discovered so far; the other, Zercon, was a real-life Moorish jester at the fifth-century court of Attila the Hun. Zerco, or Zercon was short, had shoulder humps, twisted feet and a flat nose revealed only by the two nostrils. He was enslaved and passed around by many different Hun officials, and was forced to perform as a part of a motley, despite his many desperate attempts to escape. While a part of Attila the Hun's court, he made everyone except for the Hun himself laugh, which as you can imagine, caused Zercon a lot of anxiety.

The track starts with Zercon performing for the Huns with the desperate patter of a stand-up in the middle of crashing and burning. Generic heckler put-downs, basically. He then moves onto his routine, which combines stereotypical crude stand-up zingers with historical references to, among other things, Lavinia, (a character from the Aeneid) a gynozoon, (an obscure Roman mythological beast trained to have sex with humans) Diogene's masturbation habits, (a Greek philosopher known to jack off in marketplaces) the sky god Jupiter's testicles, the Tizia, (a Hungarian river) the Papiria, (an ancient Roman patrician family) and Simeon Stylites, who climbed atop a pillar and stayed there for thirty years.

This is interrupted by Scott yelling out a direct quote from Louis B. Mayer, co-founder of MGM studios: "DID YOU EVER THROW YOUR OWN MOTHER'S FOOD BACK AT HER!?! DID YOU EVER TELL HER 'TAKE THIS FILTH AWAY!'?!? WHAT KIND OF AN UNNATURAL SON WOULD DO THAT TO HIS OWN MOTHER!?!"

Then, Zercon climbs up a flagpole, which was a trend in 1920's England, in order to escape the horror of his surroundings and achieve some level of peach.

At the end of the song, he transcends his physical form, and becomes the dwarf star SDSS1416+13B. ( https://phys.org/news/2010-01-astronome ... space.html ) A cold, dying star outside our own solar system, only seen by infrared.

Epizootics!

This is probably my favorite song on the album, musically. I think Zercon is the best lyrically, or at least the song I'm able to extrapolate the most from. Whereas this is just a damn good track.

It features a "tubax" which a combination of a tuba and a saxophone, of which there are only two of in the country.

Lyrically, it tracks a nightmare about Hawaii into a idiosyncratic world of 20's era hipsters who snap their fingers on grimy street corners. The song itself seems to be focused on conjuring a specific atmosphere more than a specific lyrical story.

And yes, the video is awesome.

Dimple

This is one I don't really have a solid pulse on. References to Denmark, and the peninsula of Jutland are plentiful, but I'm not entirely sure of their intent. Walker did live in Denmark for a time, so I consider this to be a synthesis of his experiences there.

Here's a quote from the man himself:

“I read somewhere no matter how much your face descends with age, the dimple remains in the same place. In this case, I’m using it as a metaphor for a constant presence, and building a kind of mythological face throughout the first part of the song.”

http://thequietus.com/articles/10908-sc ... -interview

Tar

For all the hullaballoo it's stirred up over the years, the Bible ain't entirely spotless when it comes to continuity errors, which is what this song concerns itself with. Contradictions in time of day, and numbers of family members of certain figures, and the overall message of the book itself is what Walker is confronting on this track. It also gives him a chance to shout out "Bilge!" "Hogwash!" "Booty chatter!" and "GTFO!"

Instrumentation on this track includes two four-feet-long machetes loudly banged together. Why not.

In addition, you can find references to Colombian Neckties, Franglais, ancient Greek currency, and Pilates punk in the lyrics.

YMMV.

Pilgrim

This is the closest thing to a ridiculous, fanciful lark Walker takes on the album. I'm sure he has his reasons for singing about rooms full of mice, but they're damn near incomprehensible to me.

The Day The "Conducator" Died (An Xmas Song)

As Rico stated in his stellar review, this track is about Romanian communist dictator Nicolae Ceaușescu who was executed along with his wife on Christmas Day 1989. Nicolae believed his people loved him and bought into his own propaganda. The song is set up as Nicolae questioning himself about who he truly was on the day of his death. He's unable to come up with a solid answer, so warped is his self-perception.

"Nobody waited for fire" is a reference to the firing squad shooting him before an order was even given. Naturally, the song ends with the intro to Jingle Bells.

'Tis the season.
Hopefully, this gratuitous exercise helped some of you see some meaning behind the hunk of anti-matter that is this album and will help you appreciate it more on future listens. The info behind these analyses, I got from genius.com, liner notes, interviews with Walker himself, and my own diseased psyche.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 177
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Ooo analysis. I was already planning to read along on Genius during my next listen, and now I'll get to read your summaries as well.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 79

Post by thellama73 »

Finally got around to listening this record, and I have to admit, I'm rather disappointed. I had high expectations because I like experiemntal music and I have heard such good things about Walker, but this just didn't do it for me. There were plenty of interesting parts, but it was far too long and I found it quite samey after a while, with the vocal performances being similar on every track apart from Pilgrims. I hate to be the sole dissenter in a thread that seems to love this album, but I can't imagine wanting to listen to this again. I got quite bored less than halfway through.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

You're not the sole dissenter, no need to distinguish yourself. This album barely has two new converts in this thread, which frankly is a surprising number on its own.

I mean, Epignosis hasn't posted a word yet, lol.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 93

Post by Epignosis »

I have yet to work up the strength.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

I'll write enough words about this album to make up for all of youse.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

The sameness of every track, the sameness of the vocal performance of every track, the sameness of basically remaking The Drift, etc is the biggest let down of the album for me too. I quit listening halfway through the long track because it was apparent that he was just going to keep doing the same thing over and over. Still, nice voice I guess.
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Y'all people quitting halfway before you even get to hear Epizootics! :disappoint:
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

A Person wrote:The sameness of every track, the sameness of the vocal performance of every track, the sameness of basically remaking The Drift, etc is the biggest let down of the album for me too. I quit listening halfway through the long track because it was apparent that he was just going to keep doing the same thing over and over. Still, nice voice I guess.
You must abhore ambient music, then.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ten seconds in and I already hate it.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

insertnamehere wrote:Y'all people quitting halfway before you even get to hear Epizootics! :disappoint:
Epi what now?
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Epignosis wrote:Ten seconds in and I already hate it.
It's your openmindedness I love.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

Ricochet wrote:
A Person wrote:The sameness of every track, the sameness of the vocal performance of every track, the sameness of basically remaking The Drift, etc is the biggest let down of the album for me too. I quit listening halfway through the long track because it was apparent that he was just going to keep doing the same thing over and over. Still, nice voice I guess.
You must abhore ambient music, then.
you got me there
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

OK, reading along with the annotations definitely greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the lyrics. Super interesting, I recommend that everyone who's saying the lyrics are nonsensical or the album overall is boring try this. I can understand thinking the album is pretty musically boring, but it's made up for by the bits of bizarre instrumentation and endless creativity in the lyrics.

I agree with INH that Epizootics is the most musically interesting track, while Zercon was the most fascinatingly complex to follow along with the lyrical analysis (though all of the tracks have this quality to various extents -- this sure was a ride).

Though I'm not much of one to rate things numerically, I'll try to keep up since Rico's recording them. 3/5.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I ended up on a 3.0 for this as well. I'll check that out re: the lyrics. :drums:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

nutella wrote:OK, reading along with the annotations definitely greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the lyrics. Super interesting, I recommend that everyone who's saying the lyrics are nonsensical or the album overall is boring try this. I can understand thinking the album is pretty musically boring, but it's made up for by the bits of bizarre instrumentation and endless creativity in the lyrics.

I agree with INH that Epizootics is the most musically interesting track, while Zercon was the most fascinatingly complex to follow along with the lyrical analysis (though all of the tracks have this quality to various extents -- this sure was a ride).

Though I'm not much of one to rate things numerically, I'll try to keep up since Rico's recording them. 3/5.
It's art. I get it.

It's bad art. A cross in a jar of urine is art. It's bad art. It doesn't take any talent to deliver. This album is talentless. If I am going to spend my time listening to music, I want to hear skill.
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Epignosis wrote:It's art. I get it.

It's bad art. A cross in a jar of urine is art. It's bad art. It doesn't take any talent to deliver. This album is talentless. If I am going to spend my time listening to music, I want to hear skill.
I think you're objectively wrong. :daisy:
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

There's a difference between saying that this album isn't your kind of thing, and Scott Walker has no talent or skill. I'll fight the latter tooth and nail.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

And here... we... go.

Thirty seconds into this album, the disorienting drums and synth(?) combo brought back memories of the music playing in Room 23 when Sawyer and Kate rescued Karl in season 3 of Lost. I'm pretty sure you could use this kind of stuff for that same purpose. I otherwise enjoyed this track ("See You Don't Bump His Head"), even though I felt Walker needed to move past the repetitive swan song line. It was weird and had potential but it never really went anywhere. I don't know where I would want music like this to take me but I like to move in more than just circles inside a padded cell.

Track two, "Corps De Blah," is a similar story but with an added hang-up for me. There were some neat elements (no, the flatulence sounds were not among them) but the track is too long and too broken up. Build upon one section or find a way to segue two or three of them together. The seconds of silence separating some components made me think there had been a track break. That bugs me. If that is Walker trying to challenge convention, good for him but I still don't like it. The lyrics here started to become a distraction. Again, that may be the point but that doesn't help them bug me any less. I had to score it as indifferent.

Track three was the closest thing in my three-track gut-check that was structured like an honest-to-goodness song. Even then, I found it agreeable but not quite enjoyable. Again- the lyrics got in the way. That means my make-or-break criteria for gut-checking an album left me slightly north of indifferent. After the over-long fourth track, I think my brain had all but checked out. There are virtues to this album but they're either too few and far between or too overpowered by intentionally strange lyrics for me to sing their praises.

Lyrics don't usually matter for me, so when they matter for me it means a lot. I can't tell if Walker is intentionally throwing weirdness together as an intellectual exercise, it's all stream-of-consciousness, or if he's just having a laugh with the people he knows are going to listen to this album. If it's an intellectual exercise, then it's pretentious in its sophistry. If it's stream-of-consciousness, then I call BS because I don't know anyone that goes that far off the deep end. If he's having a laugh at us, then what's that say about him and also the people who like this?

Without being able to sort out exactly what's going on behind the lyrics, I'm left to take them at face value, which makes the album sound all the more like the internal monologue of someone slowly (and quickly at times) going crazy. I can dig that kind of concept but the journey here is stranger, lyrically speaking, than I've encountered before. Thus, I am left rejecting the lyrics. I grew tired at times of the theatricality of Walker's delivery but I didn't dismiss it outright as pretension because sometimes it works well when he's not singing about genitalia and bodily fluids.

After track 5 ("Epizootics") the album became a kind of blur. I found myself waiting for it to end, despite some interesting musical components. I've heard weird stuff and "art music" before but I've never listened to it for an extended period of time like this. The album grew on me overtime (or perhaps I grew numb to its oddities), so it wasn't a failure from my perspective. I was left indifferent to some tracks but I never actively disliked any one track altogether.

If I had to pick three tracks, I guess I'd go with "Phrasing," "Epizootics," and "Dimple."

I know some pretentious academic types who would gush over this album. I also know some quirky build-your-own-instrument types who would like it too. I'm not here to judge the fans of the music, just the music itself. It's not for me but I wouldn't say it's void of merit.

G-Man Scale: 2.8 out of 5 (C+)
Rico Scale: 2.5 out of 5
My Banners:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

insertnamehere wrote:There's a difference between saying that this album isn't your kind of thing, and Scott Walker has no talent or skill. I'll fight the latter tooth and nail.
Explain to me what talent or skill Scott Walker needed to make this album.

Besides being able to shit, I mean.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Epignosis wrote:
insertnamehere wrote:There's a difference between saying that this album isn't your kind of thing, and Scott Walker has no talent or skill. I'll fight the latter tooth and nail.
Explain to me what talent or skill Scott Walker needed to make this album.

Besides being able to shit, I mean.
Singing, lyrical and compositional skills. I think they're all in there.

I don't think this is a cross in a jar of urine. This is who we worked with to record this album. I don't think they were brought in to place a cross in a jar of urine.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

By no means am I savvy, but for reasons I don't understand when I click on the link to Youtube it no longer has the full album list, but just the one track. Can anyone help me?
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 356
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote:By no means am I savvy, but for reasons I don't understand when I click on the link to Youtube it no longer has the full album list, but just the one track. Can anyone help me?
It looks like an old playlist must have been disassembled or something. Here's a new one:

Click

Note: track 8 there is not a song, but some review. Replace that track with this: Pilgrim
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

We've arrived at Sunday and it's time to proceed. That shouldn't stop anyone from offering final comments on Bish Bosch as they please though. Thanks for your submission, INH. It was an interesting experience and some of us were highly impressed. :)
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Re: SAW [Week 5 - "The Crazy World of Arthur Brown"]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Week 5: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Submitted by thellama73

Available on Spotify and via the YouTube link in the OP

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

In addition to listening to and discussing llama's album this week, we'll need to arrange for the next poll to determine how we continue. Based upon what appeared to be the more popular method for moving forward, these guidelines will be in place this time:

~ If you had an album selected by vote already, please wait until the third poll period to submit another.

~ You may resubmit a prior submission or an entirely new submission, whatever you like.

~ I'll open the poll up on Thursday or Friday depending upon my time constraints and it will continue through Saturday night so that the cycle may resume on Sunday.

~ Just leave your submissions in the thread and I will keep them updated in this post throughout the week.

~ Remember to listen to llama's album too! That's the larger focus now. :)

Submissions:

~ JJJ - Crowded House - Woodface / 1991 / Rock-oriented pop / 14 tracks / 48:03 / available on YouTube and Spotify
~ Golden - Corinne Bailey Rae - The Heart Speaks In Whispers (Deluxe) / 2016 / Neo-soul / 16 tracks / 75:32 / available on YouTube and Spotify
~ G-Man - Chuck Berry - Chuck Berry Is on Top / 1959 / Rock and roll / 12 tracks / 29:26 / (YouTube Playlist- Listen to the first six tracks (through Johnny B Goode), then listen to this solo track (Little Queenie), then resume the playlist.), available on Spotify
~ Epignosis - Echolyn - Echolyn / 2012 / Progressive rock / 8 tracks / 70:44 / available on YouTube
~ triceratopzheul - The Kinks - Arthur / 1969 / Rock-oriented pop / 12 tracks / 48:43 / available on YouTube
~ A Person - Vanessa Rossetto - Whole Stories / 2014 / Field recordings/Musique concrète / 2 tracks / 39:39 / available on Bandcamp
~ Marmot - deadmau5 - > album title goes here < / 2012 / House / 13 tracks / 79:53 / available on YouTube
~ Ricochet - Jethro Tull - A Passion Play / 1973 / Progressive rock / 4 tracks / 45:11 / available on YouTube (four videos) and Spotify

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I'll resubmit mine... go for the deluxe edition though (if it's findable)
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote:(if it's findable)
It is!

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I'll resubmit my previous choice as well.
My Banners:
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

So far I am mixed on Arthur Brown; I think my Dad had this album when I was a kid. I am sure I never listened to it myself, but it sounds super familiar. This would have been right up my Dads alley, I will have to ask him.

I really like the vocals and lyrics.In some places I am having problems getting past the dated super 60's psychedelic instrumentation. Dat drama organ.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

There are a dozen submissions I could consider - for which this long-queue, week-based, skip-a-turn format will prove agonizing - but I suppose I'll stick with A Passion Play. Should be fun.
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE
LORD OF TH- wait, wrong song

I'll try to think of a submission today.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

A few words about The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

First, if you're listening to the Youtube link, start at 18:59, because unlike every other album ver, the deluxe edition put bonus tracks at the beginning instead of the end, for some reason.

Second, this is a very flawed album, but these flaws do not diminish my love for it. Side Two abandons the vague concept and drifts off into some pretty strange choices (although I think the cover of I Put a Spell on You is superior in every way to the original). What I love about the record is it's incredible energy, creativity, and inspiration. Arthur Brown's wild stage performances with cray costumes inspired Alice Cooper and a generation of shock rockers. The man has an amazing voice, and Vincent Crane's Hammond organ is mad genius. Also, it's worth noting that there are no guitars on the record, which is rare for rock albums.

It's just so insane that it never fails to put a smile on my face. I hope you all enjoy it.

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

This sounds like unhinged Deep Purple and I mean that in a good way. :nicenod:
My Banners:
triceratopzeuhl
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 49

Post by triceratopzeuhl »

I'll resubmit Kinks - Arthur
[EMM winner placeholder] ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Echolyn - Echolyn (2012)
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

In the middle of my first listen of Crazy World. Quite good impressions so far. I was pretty familiar with "Fire" before but never heard the rest of the album and it's fantastic in context. I've enjoyed every track i've heard so far, it definitely hasn't ceased to be interesting/entertaining. I'd say there's a pretty stark contrast from Bish Bosch in that respect -- there may be a few stylistic constants throughout but the overall sound is constantly in flux and quite musically complex and it's holding my attention really well.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

two stars for Bisch Bosch, if you please.

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”