SAW [Week 64 - "Home of the Strange"]

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 377
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Re: SAW [Week 54 - "Operation: Mindcrime"]

Post by Tangrowth »

I'd agree it shouldn't be prog metal primary. I'll go help that fight now.

Maybe secondary, but that doesn't make much sense either since it influenced prog metal, not the other way around.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 134

Re: SAW [Week 55 - "How Did We Get So Dark?"]

Post by speedchuck »

Week 55: Royal Blood - How Did We Get So Dark?

Submitted by speedchuck

Available on Youtube and Spotify

Hope I'm not jumping the gun too much here. I'll explain really quickly who this band is and why I submitted them. If you don't want to ruin the surprise, go ahead and start listening.

Royal Blood is not in my top 10 bands. They aren't in my top 15. They might be in my top 20. Point is, I didn't submit them because they are just the best gosh-darn act ever. I submitted them because they are unique.
RB is a recent rock band out of Britain, with two albums out. This is their second. The first album is more of the same, some better, some worse. I was introduced to Royal Blood when I was talking to a friend of mine, who plays the bass guitar. I play the drums. I joked that we should try jamming sometime, thinking that it was obviously a joke since you can't play music with only backing instruments. My friend immediately introduced me to Royal Blood to prove me wrong.
There are only two members in Royal Blood, a bassist/keyboardist/vocalist, and a drummer. The bassist mostly sticks to the bass guitar alone, giving the band a unique sonic texture. Generally, the two only record music on their album that they can play live, so the one bass guitar is all the tone that they have in most songs. By using a bass pedal that does something funky with the octaves, the band manages to emulate grungy guitar and sick drops into the low bass tones.
This dynamic is, again, unique, and it's interesting listening to a band that has these limitations. Their music takes a simpler form, and may not be for everyone, but it's something different, and I hope you enjoy it!

P.S. I kinda wish I had submitted their first album. On repeated listens, I've decided that it is the better of the two. Nevertheless, I have submitted what I have submitted.
SIGNATURE:
Spoiler: show
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 356
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: SAW [Week 54 - "Operation: Mindcrime"]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm glad you moved forward, because I was about to forget.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 252

Post by G-Man »

Not to hold us back or anything, but I just got through my second spin of Operation: Mindcrime. Perhaps its my musical biases (an/or those I inherited from my father) but I'm not hearing anything that wows me. For those who rate this album highly, what should I focus on when I give it another spin? Is their any particular instrument virtuosity I may catch with my headphones on?

It's not my brand of metal, so most of it comes through as more or less standard hair-band era big sound that still plays ad nauseam on some rock stations. Am I missing something or is this album perhaps just not for me?
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 177
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

I've been falling behind but I listened to Operation Mindcrime as well as both of Royal Blood's albums at work today. All fine/enjoyable but I will need a couple more listens/hopefully more attentive listens if I find the time. I should try to catch up on actually giving ratings for the last several albums as well :ninja:
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

G-Man wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:02 pm Not to hold us back or anything, but I just got through my second spin of Operation: Mindcrime. Perhaps its my musical biases (an/or those I inherited from my father) but I'm not hearing anything that wows me. For those who rate this album highly, what should I focus on when I give it another spin? Is their any particular instrument virtuosity I may catch with my headphones on?

It's not my brand of metal, so most of it comes through as more or less standard hair-band era big sound that still plays ad nauseam on some rock stations. Am I missing something or is this album perhaps just not for me?
I would guess that it's not for you. :shrug2: I can see the big hair metal sound, but I enjoyed the album for its story, the dynamic vocals, and the really, really high quality 'big hair metal' sound.

Same sound, but I wouldn't equate Queensryche to Bon Jovi or Def Leppard or Motley Crue. This music has more to it than "PARTY" and "LOVE" and "INSPIRATION" and "SEX EUPHEMISMS." It's about politics, an underground revolution, brainwashed assassins, the influence of religion, forbidden relationships, etc. And, in my opinion, the music and vocals reflect that, demonstrating the difference between "The Needle Lies" and "Pour Some Sugar On Me."

But if you're looking for a different sound or some revolutionary use of metal instruments, you won't find it here. That's what I was looking for the first time I heard the album, and I was disappointed as well.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Thanks speedchuck. It may just be that I equate Queensryche's sound with the hair band era in general and what it represented. It's an easy/lazy association to make. I'll try to focus more on the story but concept albums are generally hit or miss with me because I don't normally focus on lyrics as much as others.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence regarding the vocals. On a number of tracks, I thought to myself "man this song would rock more if Axl Rose was the singer."
My Banners:
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

G-Man wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:39 am I'm on the opposite side of the fence regarding the vocals. On a number of tracks, I thought to myself "man this song would rock more if Axl Rose was the singer."
Unpopular opinion on my end, I think. Axl Rose's voice wears thin on me about two minutes into any GnR song. He's too whiny and nasal.

Edit: It's fine not to focus on the story. But I think the story gives a different feel to the album in the musical delivery alone. To each their own. This album may not be for you. :shrug:
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

My first thoughts on Royal Blood:

Wow, do these guys sound like Local H. The bass-imitating-guitar setup makes the sound a little deeper and sludgier, which I dig. The drums sound a lot like those of Local H's second drummer (the four albums that come after Pack Up the Cats). Royal Blood's style seems more varied, however, and the singer has much better range and ability than Scott Lucas's shouty approach.
My Banners:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Okay, so tracks 1 and 3 sound a lot like Here Comes the Zoo-era Local H. The rest of it sounds more like a hybrid of Queens of the Stone Age and Muse, which has its moments but the second half of the album loses some steam. Pretty good variety overall though. I'm going to listen to their first album now and see if I agree about it being better.
My Banners:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Yeah, I don't know; the sole reason I like and appreciate Queensryche is that it doesn't sound like hair metal too much for me. I can't stand stuff like Def Leppard, Motley Crue, etc.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Chalk me up as someone who hates Axl Rose's voice as well; otherwise, Geoff Tate is pretty solid.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm swamped, and I'd appreciate if anyone could move us forward here. I'll try to listen to HDWGSD sometime today. This might be the first time I've missed a week. :p
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Re: SAW [Week 56 - "Replica"]

Post by speedchuck »

Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica

Submitted by M Plus 7

SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Apologies from me as well, I'll be able to catch up later today and also provide some context on my submission.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Okay, finally got a chance to listen to Royal Blood! For my taste, it's a bit too much on the generic hard/alt rock side of things for me to really dig it, but it wasn't bad by any means. It passed into background listening for most of its duration, but occasionally I would think the vocals or drums were kinda neat. Sorry I don't have more to say about it. At the risk of being boring and predictable (which I totally am), I would rate it a 2.5.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Regarding my submission for this week, Replica, a few things (I'll try to stay as succinct as possible):

- Oneohtrix Point Never is the recording alias of an American experimental electronic composer named Daniel Lopatin. The name is a verbal play on the name of the Boston FM radio station Magic 106.7.

- This is hands down my personal favorite album I've submitted so far, so much to the point that I would consider it a top XX "desert island" album. It's just about everything I want in music wrapped up in a very unique slice of surreal ambient electronica based heavily on samples with substantial glitch undertones. I mean, I was pretty much destined to love this album from the album's RYM subgenres alone:
Genres
Primary: Plunderphonics, Ambient
Secondary: Glitch, Vaporwave, Progressive Electronic

- Speaking of samples, some people would call this a Plunderphonics album, which is a fancy term music nerds came up with to describe albums based heavily or entirely on samples. My favorite use of sampling on this album... so tough to decide, but it would have to be the use of this in "Sleep Dealer" (which has to be easily one of the greatest tracks of all-time in my weird opinion).
In fact, all of the samples on this album come from 1980s and 1990s commercials. In more detail (from Wikipedia):

Replica was produced around audio from television advertisement compilations procured by Lopatin, who purchased a series of DVD compilations of 1980s and 1990s television commercials then proceeded to isolate the audio from the commercials, listening for sounds that would strike him as being "harmonically intense" and sampling them. Lopatin described the album as having "as much to do with environmental, broadcasted, and club sounds as it does with more direct musical influences." Asked why he opted to use commercials as sample sources, Lopatin described his process as "looking for old things that are meaningful" then "restructuring and rearranging it to interfere with the original narrative and creating this new poetry." His production process involved opening several music players simultaneously to listen to several sounds in tandem, which he described as "raw listening and sketching". Lopatin focused particularly on "strange pauses and little incidental sounds" found in the commercials to use as samples.

- If you want to know more regarding the album's title and meaning:
Lopatin attributed the title to "the idea of the replica in culture as a way we deal with the decline of knowledge, or human knowledge going to waste because we're not immortal. But it's not a solution, it's just a way of coping with those mysteries... it's like an artistic attempt at conveying the original, and not a copy, so there's inherit failure to it." The cover for Replica is a 1936 illustration by Virgil Finlay from the pulp magazine Weird Tales, depicting a skeletal vampire looking at himself in a mirror. Lopatin felt that the image was an appropriate metaphor for the title and described it as "really morbid, but there's humor to it, too, because the skeleton's hair is pasta-like", which he jokingly called "a good approximation of how I deal with lots of depressing things—just put pasta hair on top and it's OK."

Happy listening!
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Replica was nice and easy to listen to but my first spin didn't leave me feeling a whole lot. It came, it wafted to and fro, got a little strange at times, and faded away. It seems like it may be a challenge to isolate individual tracks without staring at my computer screen due to the overlap/sudden change.

This kind of music reminds me a little of this guy I was friends with in college. In his free time he creates his own instruments. I don't know that he does much with sampling but the overall mood and vibe seems to fit the kind stuff he does.
My Banners:
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

idk.... part of me feels like even dataplex was more interesting than this. in some sense of interesting at least. Like definitely this kind of music is always interesting in a way because of the sampling/"plunderphonics" and I usually appreciate that kind of thing but I'm just not really getting a lot out of it atm :shrug:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

G-Man wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:41 pm Replica was nice and easy to listen to but my first spin didn't leave me feeling a whole lot. It came, it wafted to and fro, got a little strange at times, and faded away. It seems like it may be a challenge to isolate individual tracks without staring at my computer screen due to the overlap/sudden change.

This kind of music reminds me a little of this guy I was friends with in college. In his free time he creates his own instruments. I don't know that he does much with sampling but the overall mood and vibe seems to fit the kind stuff he does.
Oh man, this is cool, thanks for sharing! I can see why you drew the comparison; definitely different, but perhaps their approaches and aesthetic are similar. Cool either way. :beer:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I could see why you all feel that way, primarily due to how ambient and minimalist the recorded layers are. It definitely is an album that grew in appreciation over time for me, but on the other hand I also pretty much loved it instantly. I'm an ambient guy though, so a lot of space in my music doesn't deter me (if anything, it does the opposite).

If any of you are interested in sampling any of Lopatin's other work, it might be more likely to hit with you all, but I don't know, especially as someone who is naturally gravitated towards his stuff. Generally though it is less ambient and floaty than Replica, which was his first major release. He's been increasingly exploring new ground with each release (despite all throughout retaining some unique OPN trademarks that still exhibit his general composition style and sound).

R Plus Seven (2013) is sort of a transition between his Replica sound (though he started stripping away ambiance and relying more on actual space as well as on Sequencer and MIDI sounds) and his more recent sound featured in Garden of Delete (2015), which is still pretty experimental and delves in ambient but otherwise is much more chaotic and less sparse, more so influenced by industrial and post-industrial music. Either way, he's exploring worlds in electronic and ambient music that no one else has for sure, so it's hard to find comparisons.

These two songs work better within the contexts of their albums, but at least might give an indication of how you will feel about his post-Replica stuff:

"Zebra" from R Plus Seven
"I Bite Through It" from Garden of Delete

Lastly, he has an album coming out this year that I cannot possibly be more excited about. No idea what he's going to do next, but I'm thrilled to hear what it will be.
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 15

Post by ColinIsCool »

I've fallen behind a bit the last few weeks, but I'm trying to catch up now! Operation: Mindcrime is something that I would have probably dug a lot more a decade ago, but these days, it doesn't do much for me. The concept wasn't very interesting for me and I guess I wished there were some different dynamics going on between the songs; much of it sounded the same to my ears. I'm not a big prog or metal guy so I knew it would've been a fluke if I really liked it; that said, it's better than Dream Theater. :p Thanks for suggesting — I'm gonna try to listen to the others that have passed soon!
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Well I'm listening to R Plus 7 now and loving it, so :shrug:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

nutella wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm Well I'm listening to R Plus 7 now and loving it, so :shrug:
Dammit, I picked the wrong one. :p

Seriously though, that’s awesome. It’s amazing. I love Replica and R Plus Seven both; I really cannot choose. OPN is a rare artist in that his discography contributes more than one to my all-time favorite albums.
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 15

Post by ColinIsCool »

All caught up just before the next one goes — Royal Blood wasn't my thing, I couldn't get past the vocals, they reminded me of Thom Yorke's lesser moments in the 90s. I think I've heard Replica before but couldn't tell; either way, as a genre it's not something I take to very much. It was fine as background music but didn't rouse anything in me. Thanks for suggesting these ones!
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Petrushka
Beautiful music and it really does invoke a feeling of movement in your mind. I get what people said about how the fact that it was written for a choreographed ballet makes it feel a little out of reach when listening to just the music. This demands to be seen and heard. Minus the visual component, I didn't come away from this piece remembering any one movement or particular sequence. Perhaps that does hold it back but not by much for me.
4.06 out of 5 (A-)

No Blues
Pretty decent overall. Only four standout tracks for my tastes. Perhaps a little too try-hard on hip, offbeat lyrics, especially for the tone of most tracks. I probably would have liked this more in my 20s, especially the college days. But I'm a surly mid-30s guy who is out of touch with popular music now. It's fluffy, bordering on hipster, indie pop-rock. It's nice but doesn't stand out for me.
3.38 out of 5 (B)

A New Nature
I dig most of the instrumentals but the vocals don't do it for me. One standout track ("Dig Your Fingers In") and the rest just kind of was for me. Surly as I may be, I'm too much of an optimist to embrace this genre with open arms. The down-tuned sound grows old after a while and some tracks went on too long, almost wallowing in moodiness. Not my genre but I see potential.
3.13 out of 5 (B-)

Fisherman's Woman
This one surprised me. I enjoyed the varied instrumentation. That saved it from getting repetitive. The lyrical content was more than just wistful pining of ideals far removed and sorrows not to be forgotten. That was a plus as well. Most folk is not my thing but this was enjoyable. "Next Time Around" reminded me of an album that I may recommend in the future.
3.5 out of 5 (B)

The Wilderness
Given my personal attachment, my views are biased on this one. Two great tracks in the front half of the album seal the deal. The rest of the tunes are very good stuff. I can leave this album as background music or I can bring it forward and listen for the details. I may never tire of this band. This is not their best album though.
4.03 out of 5 (A-)

Operation: Mindcrime
I could see a metal band incorporating some of the themes found here in individual songs. Corporate soldiers? Mind control through drugs? Revolutionaries? Yep, I can see it all in the metalverse. But stitching them all together like this feels like a little too much to me. There were three tracks that I thought could stand on their own, mostly because they're not bogged down too much by saying something AND advancing the narrative. Maybe I'm better off sticking to TSO for progressive metal. We'll see what else you folks throw at us from this genre though.
3.17 out of 5 (B-)

How Did We Get So Dark
Tracks 1 and 3 basically sounds like all the good stuff from Local H's Here Comes the Zoo but condensed into two sweet songs. The rest of it is a unique blend of Queens of the Stone Age and Muse. The singer's voice grows about tiring by the end of the album but the track order is arranged to provide maximum variety in their sound. Much like Local H, I suspect this band will be a novelty of sorts, as their power-duo setup leads to restrictions in their sound and ability to incorporate variety.
3.81 out of 5 (B+)
My Banners:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I don't have much time to move us forward again (or apparently listen to albums). I'd appreciate it if someone could gimme a hand.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Week 57: Aphrodite's Child - 666

Submitted by Ricochet

Available on Youtube and Spotify (probably)
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Re: SAW [Week 57 - "666"]

Post by G-Man »

First, I looked up the band and discovered that one of the members was Vangelis, he of the Chariots of Fire theme.

Second, the concept of this album is an adaptation of the Book of Revelation. I spent a whole semester of college studying Revelation and eschatology in general.

Third, this was pretty amazing. Not only amazing in light of #2 but also in that the oddball, chaotic nature of the album at times really fits the chaos running through my head/life right now.
My Banners:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Also, since 666 is the final album in the current queue, here's my pick for the next batch:

Loretta Lynn
Van Lear Rose
Country
13 tracks
38:30
Available on YouTube and Spotify
My Banners:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'll submit Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion :noble:

And I have got to listen to the last two albums soon. There's never time for anything anymore.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

So I'm familiar with 666; it's a pretty solid album even if a bit spotty here and there in terms of quality. I'd give it a light 3.5.

Also, glad to see G-Man made the Vangelis connection; he's pretty great. I prefer some of his solo work to this album, but this is great too and an intriguing bit of musical history.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

M Plus 7 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:49 pm
nutella wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm Well I'm listening to R Plus 7 now and loving it, so :shrug:
Dammit, I picked the wrong one. :p

Seriously though, that’s awesome. It’s amazing. I love Replica and R Plus Seven both; I really cannot choose. OPN is a rare artist in that his discography contributes more than one to my all-time favorite albums.
Just a week later and this opinion of mine is wrong. R Plus Seven is better. And considering Replica is in my top 15-20 albums or so, that says something. It's definitely my favorite thing of all-time, at least for the duration.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Alright, I have to decide on my next submission. Always a tough call. I'll go with...

Sun Ra - Lanquidity / 1978 / Jazz Fusion / 5 tracks / 42:07 / Available on Youtube and Spotify

Something different this time. :slick:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

M Plus 7 wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:28 am So I'm familiar with 666; it's a pretty solid album even if a bit spotty here and there in terms of quality. I'd give it a light 3.5.

Also, glad to see G-Man made the Vangelis connection; he's pretty great. I prefer some of his solo work to this album, but this is great too and an intriguing bit of musical history.
Alright, there's definitely more to talk about here. What do people think of the sex track? That ought to get you all listening to it. :p
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Having listened to it again today, I'm actually thinking more like a 3.0. It's a bit more shaky in parts than I remember. There's some cool songwriting and experimentation scattered throughout, but part of the problem is that I feel like -- although the themes throughout the record are definitely cohesive, the music is not so much. Definitely a bit inconsistent.

Still a neat album though.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Agh I have such a long and growing list of things I want to submit, but all in due time.... for this batch I will go with:

The Reign of Kindo - Rhythm, Chord & Melody / 2008 / Jazz-y indie rock / 12 tracks / 58:23 / Available on Youtube and Spotify
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Man I have had no bloody time this past week.

Theophany - Time's End / 2012 / Rearranged Soundtrack / 10 tracks / 54:33 / Available on Youtube and Bandcamp

IDK how to genre
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

I don't know what "rearranged soundtrack" means but I'm psyched. :p
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Finally listening to 666 and loving it so far. "The Lamb" is amazing. Excellent sounds are happening.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

OK, catching up on ratings. I think last time I said a number in here was for Los Campesinos so next up is my submission Esben and the Witch which I never actually stated my rating for but it's 4.0 I guess. Then:

Emilíana Torrini - Fisherman's Woman: 3.5
Explosions in the Sky - The Wilderness: 3.5
Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime: 3.0
Royal Blood - How Did We Get So Dark?: 4.0
Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica: 2.5
Aphrodite's Child - 666: 4.0

:shrug: Idk man ratings dont make sense
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

So which album is next? I have no idea how Jimmy orders the submissions.
My Banners:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

G-Man wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:07 pm So which album is next? I have no idea how Jimmy orders the submissions.
Of the people who submitted albums, the person whose last submission was the longest time ago goes first.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

G-Man
Made Man

Re: SAW [Week 58 - "Rhythm, Chord & Melody"]

Post by G-Man »

That makes the order this time around:

Nutella
G-Man
JaggedJimmyJay
Speedchuck
M Plus 7

So....

Week 58: The Reign of Kindo - Rhythm, Chord & Melody

Submitted by nutella

My Banners:
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

nutella wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:21 pm I don't know what "rearranged soundtrack" means but I'm psyched. :p
Me neither. I made up the genre because I don't know how to do genre and there is no wikipedia page for this thing.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

All genres are made up. It stands.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Sweeeeeeeet hope y'all enjoy these guys
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I finally gave this album a listen today. I enjoyed it. Relating it to what I know, I'd say it is in the same general vein as Ben Folds Five's more mature tunes, but with an expanded sonic palette due to the extra instruments. It may lack a little something in variety but the quality of the music is consistent. A little jazz, a little pop, and lyrical styling that walks a very fine line between contemplative and melancholy.
My Banners:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Think we should leave this album open for another week? No one has commented on it. Perhaps more time is necessary.
My Banners:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

G-Man wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:14 am Think we should leave this album open for another week? No one has commented on it. Perhaps more time is necessary.
This would be great, actually. Sorry all, just haven't gotten around to it yet with everything going on.

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”