71%

Total votes: 17
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 629
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Re: Mafia: A World Asunder - GAME THREAD [Day 1]

Post by Sloonei »

Kylemii wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:54 am is this timmer's first game in a while? i think we played recently but i don't remember?
he went to hogwarts with us
My banners:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason
Posts in topic: 171
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Post by Kylemii »

Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:59 am
Kylemii wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:54 am is this timmer's first game in a while? i think we played recently but i don't remember?
he went to hogwarts with us
oh.

i probably forgot about that cus Jack murdered me.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 94
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:28 am
Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:07 am I've added another town read to my list.

I have a genuine Day 1 suspicion of Colin, but am I little anxious about the ease with which his case gained momentum. His post about bandwagonining DDL is patented shady-nasty business, but I don't know how to feel about the seemingly exaggerated scrutiny it's received. Then again, there's also the fact that we have two scum teams. It's entirely possible for scum to pile on an easy bandwagon that ends up being correct. I'd like for Colin to say things. I'll lay out my own gripes against them so he has more variety to respond to. I was voting for Colin before it was cool, after all.
You qualified your suspicion of Colin as "genuine." If you are a civilian, what else could it be? Why is the adjective necessary?

I know people will roll their eyes, but someone literally did this in the Mafia Universe game I was in, and I backed off on it, and the mafia won.

Fuck that. Fuck adverbs and adjectives and adjuncts.

The bottom line is that you started out with telling us your suspicion of Colin is genuine, but then you talked about how anxious you feel about other people agreeing that he's bad.

After that you have to talk about two bad teams. Who the fuck cares?

Voting Sloonei.

HOT SAAUUUUCE
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:33 am
Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:07 am I've added another town read to my list.

I have a genuine Day 1 suspicion of Colin, but am I little anxious about the ease with which his case gained momentum. His post about bandwagonining DDL is patented shady-nasty business, but I don't know how to feel about the seemingly exaggerated scrutiny it's received. Then again, there's also the fact that we have two scum teams. It's entirely possible for scum to pile on an easy bandwagon that ends up being correct. I'd like for Colin to say things. I'll lay out my own gripes against them so he has more variety to respond to. I was voting for Colin before it was cool, after all.
You qualified your suspicion of Colin as "genuine." If you are a civilian, what else could it be? Why is the adjective necessary?

I know people will roll their eyes, but someone literally did this in the Mafia Universe game I was in, and I backed off on it, and the mafia won.

The bottom line is that you started out with telling us your suspicion of Colin is genuine, but then you talked about how anxious you feel about other people agreeing that he's bad.

Voting Sloonei.
"Genuine" because the first play in the Day 1 Sloonei playbook is to throw crap at the wall and see what sticks. Case in point: My Tranq vote which I just talked about in my previous post. Or, you know, any other game I've ever played on the Syndicate. I clarified that my Colin suspicion is genuine to iterate that this is more than just pot-stirring. My vote is on him because I actually find things he's said to be suspicious, not solely because I want to make people respond to my vote being on him.
I mean..........fair

:ponder:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:40 am
Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:38 am

Voting Sloonei.
"Genuine" because the first play in the Day 1 Sloonei playbook is to throw crap at the wall and see what sticks. Case in point: My Tranq vote which I just talked about in my previous post. Or, you know, any other game I've ever played on the Syndicate. I clarified that my Colin suspicion is genuine to iterate that this is more than just pot-stirring. My vote is on him because I actually find things he's said to be suspicious, not solely because I want to make people respond to my vote being on him.
If your suspicion of Colin was true, none of the red shit I highlighted would logically follow. If you truly believe Colin is bad you wouldn't care if other people think so too (in fact, you should welcome it), you wouldn't care how many teams there are (who gives a shit?) and you wouldn't care if bad guys lynch other bad guys.

You are bad. This is obvious to me.
I suspect that Colin might be bad. I do not know that Colin is bad. I have doubts about my suspicion. It is Day 1.
yeah Epi I respect your position here but I have to back up sloonei on this one. he's allowed to have a genuine suspicion and be hesitant about it at the same time.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

nutella wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:27 am
Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:40 am

Voting Sloonei.
If your suspicion of Colin was true, none of the red shit I highlighted would logically follow. If you truly believe Colin is bad you wouldn't care if other people think so too (in fact, you should welcome it), you wouldn't care how many teams there are (who gives a shit?) and you wouldn't care if bad guys lynch other bad guys.

I suspect that Colin might be bad. I do not know that Colin is bad. I have doubts about my suspicion. It is Day 1.
yeah Epi I respect your position here but I have to back up sloonei on this one. he's allowed to have a genuine suspicion and be hesitant about it at the same time.
He knows this.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

DharmaHelper wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:03 am
And now to specific points I'd like to address:
1. "This is very far off from how I was reading nutella at the moment. Idiosyncrasy and all, I perk up when a player comes out with a stance that is the polar opposite of my own. Doesn't mean he's bad, but it's a thing.
This quote encapsulates the theme of the post as a whole pretty well. Fluffy nonsense that doesn't say anything definitive one way or the other. "DDL could be bad, or he could not, I dunno, he said something different than what I said, so its a thing."
2. "I don't love this post and could read its tone as "baddie who's been caught for a dumb reason." But it's certainly frustrating to poke your head in on Day 1 and see that people are swarming around you."
You "could" read it as bad. You "don't love" it? More fence-sitting language that opens the door a few creaks but stops just short of pulling the trigger. Primo Garbo.

Anyway that's all I got. This post looks like "Hey look everybody over here but maybe don't take this as me pushing a DDL case because fuck if he actually does get lynched I don't want to be held to account. Shit."
Hey how about no. End the stigma against wishy-washiness. It is widely misunderstood and it's a common misconception that fence-sitting/being wishy-washy is scum-indicative but I think it is far more commonly civilian behavior. I don't have stats or anything but I'll fite u
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

#StopSuspectingPeopleForThinkingInShadesOfGrey2k19
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

nutella wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:36 am #StopSuspectingPeopleForThinkingInShadesOfGrey2k19
I can get behind this campaign.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:22 am
DharmaHelper wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:05 am
Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:01 am
timmer wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:56 am Just reread it. You say you have a case but then the next sentences are all qualifiers and concerns about side angles which serve to weaken it. You spend more time on the side stuff that concern you about it than your actual suspicion. I don't know how else to explain your post to you, lol. I'm heading to bed, g'night. Hopefully you will see things clearly soon.
I said I have a suspicion, but that I also have reservations about the way Colin is being treated in the thread. If it’s messy, it’s because my thought process is unsettled. Because it’s Day 1. You’ve lamented yourself how difficult Day 1 often is. I wasn’t distracted from my suspicion on Colin. I was simply discussing it within the context of the game. I then laid out my case in another post shortly after, but you’re not looking at that because it’s not included in Epi’s (intentionally) bullshit case.
To what end do you think Epignosis has fabricated this case against you?
He does things like this often. I don't care to speculate on why I think he's doing this or what his motivations could be, but I've seen him employ fake reads as a civilian too many times to be upset by it. It's upsetting that you guys are listening to him though.

I can give evidence in support of my belief that he's full of bologna though. First, let's establish that Epignosis is not a frivolous mafia player. He is calculated and clever, and puts real, honest, sincere thought into the things that he does regardless of his alignment. Now let's look at the case that he made. It starts here:
Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:18 am
Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:14 am
Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:10 am What mafia member says, "You know what? I'm going to plop a lazy third vote down on DDL early on in the day and draw attention to myself! That's a great idea!"

Lock civilian.
a careless one

this is not my primary concern about colin anyway.
You're the one who is bad.
Short, impulsive declaration of the read. Okay. Nothing too strong yet, but this isn't the most severe introduction to a case I've ever seen from him.
Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:23 am Sloonei is so bad.
This is where he starts to get a bit loosey goosey (read: not serious, frivolous). This type of post is more at home in Macdougall's ISO, not Epi's. He's just stirring a pot.
Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:23 am I am about to dismantle you in front of your peers. Are you ready?
Colorful and playful banter. Yeah, this is not serious business Epi.

Voting Sloonei.
This is the case. This is a very narrow-minded case from Epignosis. Yes, he picks at linguistic oddities from time to time, but that's the only typical Epignosis characteristic in this post. I believe he knows exactly what I meant when I qualified my Colin read. I also don't believe he's suspicious of a person for expressing reservations about a Day 1 read. Epignosis, serious Epignosis, understands that Day 1 reads are fluid, unsettled, and changing. He might have a little bit of suspicion against me. He does not have "Sloonei is so bad, I'm going to dismantle him" level of suspicion. Certainly not 24 hours into a game.

Voting Sloonei.

The bullshit alarms are sounding all over this post, but I don't care. This post presents my read as if all Day 1 reads should be black and white. "If you believe Colin is bad you wouldn't care if other people think so too, as if everything that is happening here is in its own little vacuum and my read should be concretely settled because I believe in it. He then reaffirms how "obvious" it is that I am bad as if any of this stuff holds weight, or as if he'd really be so sure this early in a game. This is not a sincere case from Epginosis.

Epi is my strongest town read in the game.
This post deserves a gold fucking medal :clap: :clap: :clap:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:41 am I do not like timmer's bandwagon support of Epi's case, but I am unsure if I think he's bad for it. The "distracted" line reeks to me, but I have a personal investment in it. Does anyone else want to weigh in on that?

I'm more annoyed than bothered by DH's support of the case, because I think he's sincere. He and Epi were the "two town reads" I alluded to at the beginning of Day 1, since we're here.
mmm I think timmer's style of response/engagement is compatible with his town meta but I don't have strong feelings about him either way
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 282

Post by S~V~S »

Woke up in the middle of the night can't sleep grabbed my phone and read the last page,

Sloonie and Nutella sitting in a tree, k.

That is all goodnight.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 232

Post by Quin »

S~V~S wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:52 am Woke up in the middle of the night can't sleep grabbed my phone and read the last page,

That is all goodnight.
goodnight
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Tranq
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 144

Post by Tranq »

Yeah i'm not feeling this Sloonei case. He reads civ to me. Also voting the top poster on Day 1 isn't a great idea.

G-Man is someone i want to hear more from today. I want to see how he responds to DDL and INH (maybe others?) calling him out.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

S~V~S wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:52 am Woke up in the middle of the night can't sleep grabbed my phone and read the last page,

That is all goodnight.
go back to sleep grandma :meany:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Tranq wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:55 am Yeah i'm not feeling this Sloonei case. He reads civ to me. Also voting the top poster on Day 1 isn't a great idea.

G-Man is someone i want to hear more from today. I want to see how he responds to DDL and INH (maybe others?) calling him out.
I don't like this post
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 282

Post by S~V~S »

Grandma? Really? All righty then.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Tranq
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Tranq »

nutella wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:02 am
Tranq wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:55 am Yeah i'm not feeling this Sloonei case. He reads civ to me. Also voting the top poster on Day 1 isn't a great idea.

I don't like this post
Why not?
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Posts in topic: 177
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

I do see some valid points on the case against sloonei but I also can see that as a playstyle thing. It's been awhile since I've been here but I know sometimes people just go in guns blazing and start accusing people and get the conversation going. It's not my thing but some people are good at that.
Also just wondering why if someone is a top poster they shouldn't be voted for. Just in the sense that they do get people talking and a conversation happening?
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
Tranq
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Tranq »

On Day 1 if nothing really stands out i prefer to vote a low or non-poster.
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 113
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:37 am
nutella wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:36 am #StopSuspectingPeopleForThinkingInShadesOfGrey2k19
Yes, me too especially in the early couple of days in the game. My thoughts are all over the place right now.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

I appreciate Epi's pointing out some oddities in Sloonei's posts because Sloonei is a tough nut to crack for me. He had me completely snowed in a game I played with him earlier this year where he was bad. But I agree with Sloonei's point that he doesn't think this is a sincere case. I think it's a bold move to enhance conversation.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Something is bothering me about G-Man but I can't put my finger on it. I was not a fan of his post calling DH short sighted and dismissive. Maybe it's just the tone which isn't necessarily alignment indicative. Anyway, I agree with DDL, I'd like to see more from G-Man today.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 283
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Sloonei wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:03 pm
Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:59 pm Could be but I just have never seen mafia Mac get away with that so I'm not that paranoid about it.

I mean I played with him as a baddie and he just lazily coasted and bandwagoned to victory.
Despite having played with Mac for like... 100 years going back to RYM, I actually have never been able to distinguish between town Mac and scum Mac. But I haven't registered the same level of commitment to his reads as I'd normally get in the like 10 posts he's made this game.
Maybe I just got lucky but so far I've had a good streak with Mac. FIrst game I saw him as bad I called it, and I'm usually right about him being civ too.

Could be broken anytime though, I suppose.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

I kind of agree with Epi on Colin. His post voting on me is beyond terrible. So terrible I have to wonder why a mafia would make it. Feels like a classic "too bad to be bad" case.
colonialbob
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 384
Preferred Pronouns: He/his/him

Post by colonialbob »

[mention]Jackofhearts2005[/mention]-bydoobydoo, where are you? We have much to discuss
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 168
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

Coming from experience, i think sloonei looks town. I drilled a hole into him for his weird wording and actions in megaman, and we were both town. :shrug: I'm more interested in the fact DDL still isnt the main topic of discussion with 3 votes on him
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 168
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

ebwop: coliniscool
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
colonialbob
Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

MacDougall wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:39 pm
Lunalee wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:33 pm
    nutella wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:52 pm Screw it let's get this over with early or I'll be uneasy for the rest of the game [VOTE: jackofhearts] aubergine
    Sorry, but that is not a god reason to vote someone. Anything Jack has done this game to make you suspect him?
    It's day 1. Nobody has a good reason to vote anyone. Why did you pick nutella to attack? Is it because Jack's your scum teammate? Got eem.
    Incorrect and I don't care for this. Good use of got eem though.

(The rest of your posting seems compatible with early game town Mac)
    colonialbob
    Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

S~V~S wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:46 pm
    Lunalee wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:42 pm
      nutella wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:52 pm Screw it let's get this over with early or I'll be uneasy for the rest of the game [VOTE: jackofhearts] aubergine
      Sorry, but that is not a god reason to vote someone. Anything Jack has done this game to make you suspect him?
      It's day 1. Nobody has a good reason to vote anyone. Why did you pick nutella to attack? Is it because Jack's your scum teammate? Got eem.
      I have a good reason to vote Colin. Point invalid.
      What does your valid suspicion of Colin have to do with Macs question about your attack (and your post did feel rather aggressive to me) on nutella?

I am going to drop a vote on you for now. I don't believe that I (like Sorsha, who you noted had not played with you) have ever played with you. Perhaps this is your normal tone, and if so others will point it out, and then that might give me BOTD. But for now your tone has pinged me enough to vote on it.

[VOTE: Lunalee] aubergine
      Could you please explain this read a little more? What do you feel is Luna's tone and why is it pinging you?
      Tranq
      Corrupt Union Official

Post by Tranq »

Colin says his vote on DDL is a wagon contribution but it is sort of backed up by the other post he made earlier:
      ColinIsCool wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:58 am I like Epi’s post re: DDL’s role speculation.
      ColinIsCool wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:50 pm If I can't check in tomorrow I don't want my vote to be on cbob as a joke, so I am publicly announcing a [VOTE: DDL] aubergine wagon contribution for the foreseeable future.
      colonialbob
      Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

S~V~S wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:50 pm
      Lunalee wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:30 pm
      S~V~S wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:46 pm
      Lunalee wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:42 pm
        I have a good reason to vote Colin. Point invalid.
        What does your valid suspicion of Colin have to do with Macs question about your attack (and your post did feel rather aggressive to me) on nutella?

I am going to drop a vote on you for now. I don't believe that I (like Sorsha, who you noted had not played with you) have ever played with you. Perhaps this is your normal tone, and if so others will point it out, and then that might give me BOTD. But for now your tone has pinged me enough to vote on it.

[VOTE: Lunalee] aubergine
        Hey SVS, I don't know if I've played with you before, but I've seen you around and sort of know about you. My valid suspicion of Colin shows that day one can contain valid suspicions. Mac doesn't think so, and therefore thinks I "attacked" nutella for no reason over her (in my opinon) completely invalid Jack suspicion. Does that clear things up for you?
        I understood the context, what got my eye was that you did not respond to his direct point, and redirected the conversation. Plus you sound somewhat confrontational when people suspect someone YOU don't think deserves scrutiny. Like, "here's my totes valid day one suspish but YOUR suspicion is weak because I don't find them suspect." Again this may just be you and how you play which would explain why I am the only person struck with it.

Linki w/timmer, good question.
        Never mind found it
        colonialbob
        Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

Quin wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:02 pm
        Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:55 pm Has anyone seen Quin? At this point I'd expect to see him angrily hissing at the people accusing him.
        nobody is accusing me so i have nothing to do
        J'accuse
        colonialbob
        Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

Who do you consider questionable on the Colin wagon?
        colonialbob
        Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:10 am

What mafia member says, "You know what? I'm going to plop a lazy third vote down on DDL early on in the day and draw attention to myself! That's a great idea!"

Lock civilian.
        Let your opponent make mistakes
        colonialbob
        Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:11 am
        Kylemii wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:10 am
        Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:06 amFail.
        you're a little confusing sometimes,

what do you think of DH (DharmaHelper)
        I don't think of him.
        Funniest post of the thread btw
        G-Man
        Made Man
        Posts in topic: 38

Post by G-Man »

Knitting a sweater takes time. So does forming reads on people (for me at least). It feels like it’s been ages since I played in a game this size, and I’m already blurring several of you together in my mind like all the dwarves in The Hobbit. Certain personalities stand out more than others but that’s because I don’t play often enough.

My comments to DH were designed to be loud enough to register with people, helping me be noticed in a game where I haven’t said much yet. I’m playing a long-game strategy, which will probably get me killed for admitting it but oh well.

I’m not interested in competing in the big, loud Day 1 contest some of you like to engage in. That’s never been my style. Feel free to fling poo, needle, and fish for reactions. Just know that I’m in observation mode out of both preference and necessity (guess who doesn’t know I’m playing- again).

I didn’t like the concept of “let’s avoid ties because of the mysterious sppoky tribunal thing,” so I said something. Then I reiterated it. I’m done talking about because I don’t want to be perceived as a one-issue player (least of all over a tangential issue).

I’m going to look at the loudest folk and try to determine who among those voices sounds insincere. I’ll also look at the middle-of-the-packers and decide who may look the most blendy. I’ll vote for whichever one I feel strongest about at the time.
        A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
        My Banners:
        Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
        I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
        colonialbob
        Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:35 am
        MacDougall wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:34 am
        Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:33 am
        MacDougall wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:29 am
        Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:07 am I have a genuine Day 1 suspicion of Colin
        As opposed to a non genuine one?
        Plagiarist.
        My friend I have sank one bottle of shiraz and was in catch up. I had not yet seen your post. Rather than a plagiarist, I am merely a fan.
        My favorite red. So good.
        I prefer Malbecs but I also enjoy a good Shiraz. I also just learned from Wikipedia that Shiraz and Syrah are the same thing.

themoreyouknow.jpg
        colonialbob
        Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:22 am
        DharmaHelper wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:05 am
        Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:01 am
        timmer wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:56 am Just reread it. You say you have a case but then the next sentences are all qualifiers and concerns about side angles which serve to weaken it. You spend more time on the side stuff that concern you about it than your actual suspicion. I don't know how else to explain your post to you, lol. I'm heading to bed, g'night. Hopefully you will see things clearly soon.
        I said I have a suspicion, but that I also have reservations about the way Colin is being treated in the thread. If it’s messy, it’s because my thought process is unsettled. Because it’s Day 1. You’ve lamented yourself how difficult Day 1 often is. I wasn’t distracted from my suspicion on Colin. I was simply discussing it within the context of the game. I then laid out my case in another post shortly after, but you’re not looking at that because it’s not included in Epi’s (intentionally) bullshit case.
        To what end do you think Epignosis has fabricated this case against you?
        He does things like this often. I don't care to speculate on why I think he's doing this or what his motivations could be, but I've seen him employ fake reads as a civilian too many times to be upset by it. It's upsetting that you guys are listening to him though.

I can give evidence in support of my belief that he's full of bologna though. First, let's establish that Epignosis is not a frivolous mafia player. He is calculated and clever, and puts real, honest, sincere thought into the things that he does regardless of his alignment. Now let's look at the case that he made. It starts here:
        Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:18 am
        Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:14 am
        Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:10 am What mafia member says, "You know what? I'm going to plop a lazy third vote down on DDL early on in the day and draw attention to myself! That's a great idea!"

Lock civilian.
        a careless one

this is not my primary concern about colin anyway.
        You're the one who is bad.
        Short, impulsive declaration of the read. Okay. Nothing too strong yet, but this isn't the most severe introduction to a case I've ever seen from him.
        Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:23 am Sloonei is so bad.
        This is where he starts to get a bit loosey goosey (read: not serious, frivolous). This type of post is more at home in Macdougall's ISO, not Epi's. He's just stirring a pot.
        Epignosis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:23 am I am about to dismantle you in front of your peers. Are you ready?
        Colorful and playful banter. Yeah, this is not serious business Epi.

Voting Sloonei.
        This is the case. This is a very narrow-minded case from Epignosis. Yes, he picks at linguistic oddities from time to time, but that's the only typical Epignosis characteristic in this post. I believe he knows exactly what I meant when I qualified my Colin read. I also don't believe he's suspicious of a person for expressing reservations about a Day 1 read. Epignosis, serious Epignosis, understands that Day 1 reads are fluid, unsettled, and changing. He might have a little bit of suspicion against me. He does not have "Sloonei is so bad, I'm going to dismantle him" level of suspicion. Certainly not 24 hours into a game.

Voting Sloonei.

The bullshit alarms are sounding all over this post, but I don't care. This post presents my read as if all Day 1 reads should be black and white. "If you believe Colin is bad you wouldn't care if other people think so too, as if everything that is happening here is in its own little vacuum and my read should be concretely settled because I believe in it. He then reaffirms how "obvious" it is that I am bad as if any of this stuff holds weight, or as if he'd really be so sure this early in a game. This is not a sincere case from Epginosis.

Epi is my strongest town read in the game.
        Sloonbeard, I like the cut of your jib, but I don't love this post. If Epi is doing an epi thing and manufacturing a case, doesn't calling it out like this undermine whatever he is trying to accomplish?
        Dragon D. Luffy
        The Pirate

Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:58 am
        Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:36 pm I hate this argument about ties. It's full of WIFOM and NAI and general inconclusive waste of time.

Someone tieing a poll could mean literally anything, such as... wanting that person to be lynched.
        While I agree with the sentiment, the language of this post feels a little too dismissive of the conversation itself. I like that people talked about ties. It gave us content and produced some new areas of discussion.
        I mean literally any subject can produce content and new areas of discussion. It doesn't change the fact the subject itself is a waste of time.
        colonialbob
        Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:37 am
        With a paddle?

#2018shadesofgrey
        Dragon D. Luffy
        The Pirate

Sloonei wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:46 am
        DharmaHelper wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:42 am
        I'm not overly concerned with DDL's post speculating about role alignments. It's not wrong to suggest that baddies will talk about mechanics rather than gameplay early on, but I don't necessarily get that vibe from DDL. That's not to say I get definitively town vibes from him, but he's shown himself to be a somewhat idiosyncratic player in the past and I've mistakenly held that against him more than once. Also, he's not shied away from gameplay discussion either.

That said, his posts haven't read as surefire civilian to me. Some things:
        This gave me vertigo.
        Reads are rarely well-defined on Day 1.
        I feel like you have made more remarks about how Day 1 is supposed to be weak than anyone else even though you have more posts and contribution than most people anyway.
        colonialbob
        Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

sabie12 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:15 am I do see some valid points on the case against sloonei but I also can see that as a playstyle thing. It's been awhile since I've been here but I know sometimes people just go in guns blazing and start accusing people and get the conversation going. It's not my thing but some people are good at that.
        Also just wondering why if someone is a top poster they shouldn't be voted for. Just in the sense that they do get people talking and a conversation happening?
        What are the valid points you see?
        colonialbob
        Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:15 am I kind of agree with Epi on Colin. His post voting on me is beyond terrible. So terrible I have to wonder why a mafia would make it. Feels like a classic "too bad to be bad" case.
        Blech
        Dragon D. Luffy
        The Pirate

sprityo wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:34 am Coming from experience, i think sloonei looks town. I drilled a hole into him for his weird wording and actions in megaman, and we were both town. :shrug: I'm more interested in the fact DDL still isnt the main topic of discussion with 3 votes on him
        Wait, I'm not? Could have fooled me.
        Dragon D. Luffy
        The Pirate

Tranq keeps looking more and more passive and making Night 0 seems like his strongest moment in the game and I hate that.

[VOTE: Tranq] aubergine

Also G-Man's defense is alright. Not exactly conclusive, but believable.
        juliets
        Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:13 am
        sprityo wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:34 am Coming from experience, i think sloonei looks town. I drilled a hole into him for his weird wording and actions in megaman, and we were both town. :shrug: I'm more interested in the fact DDL still isnt the main topic of discussion with 3 votes on him
        Wait, I'm not? Could have fooled me.
        He made a correction in his next post. He is really talking about coliniscool not you.

ImageImageImage
        ImageImageImageImage
        ImageImageImageImage
        ImageImage
        ImageImage
        Lunalee
        Loan Shark
        Posts in topic: 89

Post by Lunalee »

sprityo wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:06 am
        Lunalee wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:29 pm @S~V~S I just added Space Force to my signature as well.
        :mafia: you didn’t add that civilian loss in Dethys game tho
        You're right! I had completely forgotten about that game. I'll add it.
        Luna's Wins/Losses
        Jobs
        Ancient Greece Mafia - civilian - loss
        U-Pick Mafia - mafia - loss
        Retrocausality Mafia - mafia - loss
        Mega Man Mafia - mafia - win
        Hogwarts Mafia - civilian - loss
        Side Missions
        Image Mafia - civilian - loss
        Courage the Cowardly Dog Mafia - civilian - loss
        Heists
        Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - civilian - loss
        Friends Mafia - civilian - loss
        Daily Fantasy Mafia - civilian - win
        Everyone's Insane! - mafia - win
        Space Force - civilian - loss
        Burglaries
        Murder on the Owl Express - third party - loss
        Operation Refrigerator Restoration - civilian - win
        One Hour Werewolf - Tanner - loss
        Awful Overplayed Dadrock Mafia - civilian - loss
        Dethy Game - civilian - loss
        Special Games
        Two-Headed Monster Mafia - civilian - win
        Dragon D. Luffy
        The Pirate

Re: Mafia: A World Asunder - GAME THREAD [Night 0]

Tranq wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:25 am Picture looks fine.

I can vote after having posted. Looks like DH saw he couldn't vote, posted, and then pooped about not being able to vote without realising he should now be able to.
        Tranq wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:21 pm These poll options seem quite meaningless.

Are people voting randomly or what?
        He has some starting posts which suggests he's trying to figure out what other people are doing.
        Tranq wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:51 pm
        Turnip Head wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:39 pm
        Tranq wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:21 pm These poll options seem quite meaningless.

Are people voting randomly or what?
        The Tribunal of Judgment is from A World Apart, it was three civvies with BTSC plus a lynch switch and pardon. Seems pro-town imo
        Sounds good. Why didn't you mention this when you voted?
        This post was pretty good. TH hid information that could have been useful. He called him out on it.

Tranq wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:21 am On Day 1 if nothing really stands out i prefer to vote a low or non-poster.
        Then he changed to a more passive approach. Waiting to see what others will do. Saying nothing stands out and he might vote a low poster. I dunno, my gut says he was trying to look super pro-active at first but now he found a more comfortable spot.
        Dragon D. Luffy
        The Pirate

What is the case on Jack? I see two votes on him but I don't remember anything that really pinged me.

Return to “Previous Jobs”