Invitation to Mafia Championship Season 2

Kick back and relax at The Lounge, where you can discuss any other matter related to mafia games or The Syndicate. Mafia game strategists, look no further!

Moderator: Community Team

DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 18

Re: Invitation to Mafia Championship Season 2

Post by DharmaHelper »

pls :(
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 59
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Thingyman wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Thingyman wrote:
On our site we don't have such a rule - we believe that the players themselves should know what they're getting into if they're playing a game hosted by an inexperienced mod. Plus, in reality, it's never a big deal, because mods usually ask other mods to look their setups over anyway to make sure it's okay.
I agree completely with this.

Here we also have a Mod on Duty function to help the host (what otherwise you and other sites would call the mod) deal with conflicts, usually of a personal nature, in an arbitration fashion. But the host has full authority over constructing and running the game. Hosts can have co-hosts as well, which has been a really good way to give new hosts experience without the trial by fire of hosting alone. I'm not sure how frequent that is on other sites though.
I think it's somewhat rare. But it's super common on our site. I think it's probably been years since we had a Mish-Mash (that's what we call our big "role madness" games with a bunch of different roles) with 40+ players that wasn't hosted by several people.
Good to know. I am super excited for this Championship, but equally so for the prospect of cross-site games. I know we would absolutely love to have any number of "new" players here, especially very active ones; also, I know there would be some folks, myself included, who would love to play some games elsewhere.
Black Rock
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Black Rock »

rabbit8 wrote:
Black Rock wrote:LC is a member at MTG Salvation but didn't realize they played Mafia.

What a nerd. :haha:
You know it to be true, now what was that conversation we had? :P
ImageImage
Thingyman
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Thingyman »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Thingyman wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Thingyman wrote:
On our site we don't have such a rule - we believe that the players themselves should know what they're getting into if they're playing a game hosted by an inexperienced mod. Plus, in reality, it's never a big deal, because mods usually ask other mods to look their setups over anyway to make sure it's okay.
I agree completely with this.

Here we also have a Mod on Duty function to help the host (what otherwise you and other sites would call the mod) deal with conflicts, usually of a personal nature, in an arbitration fashion. But the host has full authority over constructing and running the game. Hosts can have co-hosts as well, which has been a really good way to give new hosts experience without the trial by fire of hosting alone. I'm not sure how frequent that is on other sites though.
I think it's somewhat rare. But it's super common on our site. I think it's probably been years since we had a Mish-Mash (that's what we call our big "role madness" games with a bunch of different roles) with 40+ players that wasn't hosted by several people.
Good to know. I am super excited for this Championship, but equally so for the prospect of cross-site games. I know we would absolutely love to have any number of "new" players here, especially very active ones; also, I know there would be some folks, myself included, who would love to play some games elsewhere.
Stay tuned for the biggest mafia game ever; 200+ people :P
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Epignosis »

Do you have a big thingy, man?
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
G-Man wrote:Wow, the sheer size of some of those Mafia communities is intimidating. :faint:

I recall checking out a few of the big ones years ago when I was on LP, TP, and STV. I got scared away by all the tiers and rating systems some use. Can't remember which one it was but at least one of them required you to play in so many games before you could move into more complex games and another one required you to win so many games as civ and as baddie before you could even host a game. I like hosting more than playing, so...

I like to think that TP, RM, and now The Syndicate are nice little niche locales where people like to create intricate and fun-themed games. A plain Jane game has its place every now an again but it would need a good story building with the simple events to keep things captivating for me.
Mafiascum does that. Their community is so big, the won't allow new players to hop into complex games. They must play "qualifiers" first.

That goes for the hosts too. Hosts cannot host any big, complex games until they've "paid their dues" hosting small, vanilla games with new players.
Ah, I couldn't remember which one it was. I remember them having an awesome set of tutorials and beginners guides that helped me when drafting my first few game ideas. I guess I can understand not letting newbs play with the big boys but the egalitarian in me balked. What's to say a new player isn't someone with years of experience and a top notch pedigree? I liked how LP, STV, and TP (and thusly RM and TS) welcomes and encourages new folk to jump right in. I think it's one of the best ways to learn how to play.
rabbit8 wrote:Hedville, son!!!! :feb:
I never ventured over to Hedville. I was already active on three forums and probably thought that was enough.
MovingPictures07 wrote:I am super excited for this Championship, but equally so for the prospect of cross-site games. I know we would absolutely love to have any number of "new" players here, especially very active ones; also, I know there would be some folks, myself included, who would love to play some games elsewhere.
Heh- this was one of my idealistic goals with the Secret Mafia games. I intended for each game to be played on a different forum. Now all three that I wanted to use are gone (unless mafia still exists on LP).
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 19

Post by S~V~S »

Brainden has that, too. Their big Mafia guy was someone from LP, I don't recall his name, he was no longer playing at LP when I started. They played a bit more similarly to us. Not sure if they still do play.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Thingyman
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Thingyman »

Epignosis wrote:Do you have a big thingy, man?
Haha

My name has evolved over the years. Started as Thing, then Thingy, but that was too short, so Thingyman. And now MrThingyman. I'm not sure I can add more to it.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Thingyman wrote:
Stay tuned for the biggest mafia game ever; 200+ people :P
That sounds absolutely crazy, but awesome.
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 22
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Thingyman wrote:
Epignosis wrote:Do you have a big thingy, man?
Haha

My name has evolved over the years. Started as Thing, then Thingy, but that was too short, so Thingyman. And now MrThingyman. I'm not sure I can add more to it.
Epignosis would love to call you MrThingyManJohnson. ;)

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

Is Vompatti available to represent The Syndicate?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
blindfaeth
Drug Dealer

Post by blindfaeth »

This sounds awesome
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

DH&SVS, are you guys really bowing out?? :/

What about Rob/Logan? Are you guys gonna be contenduhs?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 10

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:DH&SVS, are you guys really bowing out?? :/

It should probably be someone who is actually good at mafia. So Rob would be a good choice.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I don't do well in different setting. My one game at Mafia Maniac, I got lynched Day one because I went balls to the walls (is there any other way to play Mafia?) and totally did all the things they thought were bad. They role hint, they info dump, I refused to vote for people based on that, and someone seriously asked me how we get info into the thread where we play if we don't just say it. Apparently they faux dump, and I can see the challenge in that, but once I got to that place in the learning curve, I was dead, lol.

I tried several games at K Site, and I could not wrap my head around their system. I would be honored to go, but don;t think i would be the best ambassador for us. I would probably tell someone to go fuck themselves, lol. Sooo undiplomatic :)
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

This is what I told MP: I will do it, but only if no one else is able and willing.

The thought of spectating and cheering someone on sounds like fun.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

S~V~S wrote:I don't do well in different setting. My one game at Mafia Maniac, I got lynched Day one because I went balls to the walls (is there any other way to play Mafia?) and totally did all the things they thought were bad. They role hint, they info dump, I refused to vote for people based on that, and someone seriously asked me how we get info into the thread where we play if we don't just say it. Apparently they faux dump, and I can see the challenge in that, but once I got to that place in the learning curve, I was dead, lol.

I tried several games at K Site, and I could not wrap my head around their system. I would be honored to go, but don;t think i would be the best ambassador for us. I would probably tell someone to go fuck themselves, lol. Sooo undiplomatic :)
I come from that sort of background, where info-dumping and self-outing is common and normal. But now that I've adapted to the Syndicate way of doing things, I much prefer this way.

But variation is the spice of life, so going back to such ways wouldn't be bad once in a while.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

It was a beautiful thing when Juliets won as the SK.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote:I would be honored to go, but don;t think i would be the best ambassador for us. I would probably tell someone to go fuck themselves, lol. Sooo undiplomatic :)
I too am unnecessarily hateful and violent, especially towards outsiders (defend the fire!) so I get where you're coming from.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I remember back when role-claiming and info dumping were common practice at LP. Usually one powerful civvie would role claim and the other civvies would try to plan in the thread how they would use their powers in conjunction to protect said powerful civ. I'm not sure when that changed. Baddies had the opportunity to false role-claim but they would either get lynched when the real civ challenged them or they would get lynched Day 2 if people believed them and lynched the real civ Day 1. Those were the days when Day 1 wasn't just 48 hours of waiting for a random lynch. I was a baddie once and got caught early but then offered up my teammates identities for immunity. That probably started the ball rolling on STV to ban role-claiming and info dumping.

I don't see the harm in role-claiming once it's obvious who you are- civ or baddie. Without role-claiming, it's hard to info dump without strongly-worded vagueness. But it also takes some of the mystery out of the game.
My Banners:
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

thellama73 wrote:
S~V~S wrote:I would be honored to go, but don;t think i would be the best ambassador for us. I would probably tell someone to go fuck themselves, lol. Sooo undiplomatic :)
I too am unnecessarily hateful and violent, especially towards outsiders (defend the fire!) so I get where you're coming from.
But everyone will be an outsider in this game, so. :shrug:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

G-Man wrote:I remember back when role-claiming and info dumping were common practice at LP. Usually one powerful civvie would role claim and the other civvies would try to plan in the thread how they would use their powers in conjunction to protect said powerful civ. I'm not sure when that changed. Baddies had the opportunity to false role-claim but they would either get lynched when the real civ challenged them or they would get lynched Day 2 if people believed them and lynched the real civ Day 1. Those were the days when Day 1 wasn't just 48 hours of waiting for a random lynch. I was a baddie once and got caught early but then offered up my teammates identities for immunity. That probably started the ball rolling on STV to ban role-claiming and info dumping.

I don't see the harm in role-claiming once it's obvious who you are- civ or baddie. Without role-claiming, it's hard to info dump without strongly-worded vagueness. But it also takes some of the mystery out of the game.
Twice recently, I have been in that situation as a baddie, and it is very easy to just act the obvious baddie rather than roleclaim. Not breaking any rules that way.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

rabbit8
Undergoing sensitivity training
Posts in topic: 9

Post by rabbit8 »

Black Rock wrote:
rabbit8 wrote:
Black Rock wrote:LC is a member at MTG Salvation but didn't realize they played Mafia.

What a nerd. :haha:
You know it to be true, now what was that conversation we had? :P

:ponder: :dark:
rabbit8
Undergoing sensitivity training
Posts in topic: 9

Post by rabbit8 »

I would also like to represent RabbitMafia.fuckyou and own everyone. :feb:

But I would not want to throw my hat in as I have not been here for a long time. I think one of you should win though.
Of course you would only win because I'm not playing. :noble:

:nicenod:
Vompatti
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vompatti »

Mongoose wrote:Is Vompatti available to represent The Syndicate?
if that implies actually playing, no. :mafia:
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Mongoose wrote:DH&SVS, are you guys really bowing out?? :/

I am going to be trying to get two different certifications in 90 days starting next week. I will not have the time to do this :P

But I am so broken up about not being able to play it.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Long Con
So Divine
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

I'd probably go if no one better wanted to step up. It kind of terrifies me a bit though. My Mafia pedigree is like "Three-Time Crawfish-Diving Champ" as compared to Mafia PhD's who wrote their thesis on "The 30 Most Common Fallacies That Noobs Like Long Con Make".
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

G-Man wrote:I remember back when role-claiming and info dumping were common practice at LP. Usually one powerful civvie would role claim and the other civvies would try to plan in the thread how they would use their powers in conjunction to protect said powerful civ. I'm not sure when that changed. Baddies had the opportunity to false role-claim but they would either get lynched when the real civ challenged them or they would get lynched Day 2 if people believed them and lynched the real civ Day 1. Those were the days when Day 1 wasn't just 48 hours of waiting for a random lynch. I was a baddie once and got caught early but then offered up my teammates identities for immunity. That probably started the ball rolling on STV to ban role-claiming and info dumping.

I think I vaguely remember that incident. Or at least reading about it after the game had ended, or maybe someone referenced it to me once long ago.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

If Epi or LC go I think we're in good hands. But if you fellas want some pointers from a grand master....

Look elsewhere cause I'm pretty much useless :D

ImageImage
ImageImage
Boogs
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Boogs »

I nominate Epignosis to go :)
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

DharmaHelper wrote:

I think I vaguely remember that incident. Or at least reading about it after the game had ended, or maybe someone referenced it to me once long ago.
Yeah, it was Pirates of the Caribbean Mafia on STV. For a little while afterward, they called such a move "Pulling a G." :P
My Banners:
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

rabbit8 wrote:Hedville, son!!!! :feb:
This!!! Some of my altimeter favorite games were HV games
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I sent in a nomination, and know who i will vote for.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Just a reminder, I will both PM and post here the players who have elected to represent us in this Championship. Everyone will therefater have 48 hours max to PM me their selection from among those players.

I already have multiple players, so I can confirm we will indeed be having a secret ballot, but I'll keep accepting new folks up until 9:30AM CST/10:30AM EST tomorrow.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Just a reminder, I will both PM and post here the players who have elected to represent us in this Championship. Everyone will therefater have 48 hours max to PM me their selection from among those players.

I already have multiple players, so I can confirm we will indeed be having a secret ballot, but I'll keep accepting new folks up until 9:30AM CST/10:30AM EST tomorrow.
So, you mean 10:30AM CDT/11:30AM EDT, which is the time we are currently on?

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

No. Just ignore the "S" and input a "D" then. :P
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

MovingPictures07 wrote:No. Just ignore the "S" and input a "D" then. :P
Well, now I'm confused.

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sigh. Why would I state times in a time that we are no longer using? :P
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Sigh. Why would I state times in a time that we are no longer using? :P
That's what I was wondering.

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Members of The Syndicate, I am pleased to present... your nominees for the Mafia Championship Season 2, hosted by Thingyman:

blindfaeth
Epignosis
Long Con
Metalmarsh89
thellama73
Turnip Head

You may submit to me your top three selections. I will be awarding weighted points as follows: 3 for highest preference, 2 for second highest preference, and 1 for third. The nominee who receives the highest weighted accumulation of votes will be sent as our representative!

Please indicate to me clearly your preference order, otherwise your submission will be invalid and not counted.

You have 48 hours maximum to send me your votes. This means you must submit a PM to me before Tuesday, March 31st at 10:30AM Eastern time. Help make your voice heard by ensuring you send your PM to me before that deadline.

I am incredibly excited to send one of these nominees on behalf of our community at this gathering of mafia's best and brightest, and very much look forward to announcing the player that our community has awarded with that honor.
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 37

Post by Ricochet »

Well I know who I'm voting for and it's not...
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Voted :D
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote:Voted :D
Me too!

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Keep those votes coming! I expect to have an inbox packed FULL of everyone's votes. :srsnod:

I am very stoked about these nominees!!
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 37

Post by Ricochet »

It's hard to decide on another top contender other than Voopy, though... :why:
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Am I allowed to self-vote? :mafia:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:Am I allowed to self-vote? :mafia:
Sure, nominees can vote for whomever they want!
zeek
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 7

Post by zeek »

So looking at these names we're voting for who we don't want to go? :P

I kid, I kid :grin:
Sophie
The Mark
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Sophie »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Members of The Syndicate, I am pleased to present... your nominees for the Mafia Championship Season 2, hosted by Thingyman:

blindfaeth
Epignosis
Long Con
Metalmarsh89
thellama73
Turnip Head
nice! :hug:

You may submit to me your top three selections. I will be awarding weighted points as follows: 3 for highest preference, 2 for second highest preference, and 1 for third. The nominee who receives the highest weighted accumulation of votes will be sent as our representative!

Please indicate to me clearly your preference order, otherwise your submission will be invalid and not counted.

You have 48 hours maximum to send me your votes. This means you must submit a PM to me before Tuesday, March 31st at 10:30AM Eastern time. Help make your voice heard by ensuring you send your PM to me before that deadline.

I am incredibly excited to send one of these nominees on behalf of our community at this gathering of mafia's best and brightest, and very much look forward to announcing the player that our community has awarded with that honor.
Nice :)!!!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I am very excited to announce that Turnip Head has been selected to represent The Syndicate in this tournament. I feel confident that he will do an amazing job. :noble:

What an amazingly close race though! Thanks for sending in your votes, everyone!

Return to “The Lounge”