Total votes: 14
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 161
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Re: Death and Taxes: An Economics Mafia [DAY 7]

Post by Marmot »

Bass was looking to switch up his playstyle in his next game. Perhaps he can use your example from this game to follow, MP.

Banners and Stuff
Spoiler: show
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 722
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:Bass was looking to switch up his playstyle in his next game. Perhaps he can use your example from this game to follow, MP.
Damn straight.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 358
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Ok I've been meaning to make this post for days.

I wanna tell you a story. Not the story about how I played this game because frankly, to me, as much fun as that was, it was only secondary to the real big thing that happened in this game.

The story begins when I get my first role. Jean Baptist Say. It was a pretty cool role (though his economic theories are full of shit, but that's another story). It had the ability to produce a lot of money, and I had some pretty cool plans for how I'd spend that money. So I was pretty frustrated when the hosts told me they were going to replace this role.

The frustration did not last long, though, because eventually I realized I had received something legendary. Something that would certainly make this game one of the most memorable experiences in my mafia career:
Once per night, I could take two poor souls of my choice and force them to play a game for my amusement. I would be the emperor at the coliseum, making players fight for the entertainment of the masses and then deciding myself who would be allowed to live or die.

And so it began.

Night 1: Chess Game at the Syndicate
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Alright, for my first game, it's going to be chess. It's a simple game this time because I want to learn how this works, and also because I don't wanna scare the shit out of the players this soon. :feb:

The match will be between JaggedJimmyJay and Sloonei.

I propose that they use http://www.chess.com/ for it. It's easy to make a login, and it lets you link the game after it ends in order to prove who won. They can use another site if they want, as long as it provides them a way to prove their victory.

They will be able to schedule the match whenever they want, but after they play I want them to post (or to PM to you) the link to the game, so we get to see who won. Like this: http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=1159800159

Also, I want it to be 30 minute chess, or some number close to that (20-40 minutes). No bullet chess or anything of the sort.
Remember in Death Note, when Yagami Light spends the first few episodes doing some random kills in order to find out the extent of his powers? That was me in night 1. A simple game of chess to see what I was allowed or not allowed to do. I was imagining this would be more of a public thing, with games being posted in the thread, but I soon f. The mods took a minimalist approach to this role, only let me know the things I absolutely needed to know. So I don't even have any idea of who won the game. Sloonei or Jay? I hope you guys could tell me that, and maybe show me the game.

Night 2: The Voice: Mafia Edition
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Ok, today it's going to be a singing contest.

The two players have to send videos of them singing. It can be any song, no restrictions of genre. They can play instruments of they want, or have them played in the background if they want. Or nothing except their voice only. Doesn't matter as long as they are the ones doing the singing. Also rapping is not singing.

Just for the sake of estabilishing a limit, the song should have no more than 10 minutes. More than that and I'll start doubting if they're singing a song or a whole album.

No other people singing with them. Just the person who was targetted by the action, alone. Other people playing instruments is okay though, but remember the point of this is to show how well they can sing, not how well their friend can do guitar solos.

They should, at some point of the video, show clearly that they are the forum user who was challenged. Either by saying their name out loud or showing it written on a paper.

The targets will be MovingPictures and G-Man.

As for the winning criterium. I want to hold a vote. One idea I have it to open a separate thread with a poll in the forum so people can vote for who was the best singer. People who are not playing the game should be allowed to vote too, the more the better. If for some reason that can't be done, then I just suggest using this: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll321446xA8044a58-12
On Night 2, I decided to go all guns blazing. Making MP sing was my secondary winning condition for this game. So I pulled out my best game idea right away, before either me or him died.

Why MP? Well I was wanting to do this prank since the first day I got the role, but I was feeling uneasy about pranking random people I didn't even know. But MP was already my friend, and it's a lot easier to do that with friends, and he strikes me as the type not to get angry about such pranks. Finally, this post of his sealed the deal:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Also listening to Skylarking thanks to Jay's 'singing'. :P

Just kidding, it's way better than my singing.

Anyway, it's an amazing album that I haven't listened to in WAY too long.
After that I really wanted to know what MP's singing was all about. :feb:

G-Man was picked for a similar reason. The whole image posting thing striked me as a guy who would like the joke. I'm glad I wasn't wrong.

So G-Man won this one, as per the poll result. Next:

Night 3: Make your master laugh.
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Okay, the next game is a less cruel one. It's a Funny Video Contest.

It's simple. Each of the two players sends me a video they found in the internet. Whoever makes me laugh the most, wins.

Note that, unlike the Singing Contest, it doesn't have to be recorded or made by the player. It can be any video whatsoever. Just find something you think is funny, and send me the link.

The targets are:

sanmateo

vs

Vompatti
This game was the balance between something I'd be able to see the results of (unlike the chess game), and an easier game to give town a rest before I unleashed my other ideas.

What can I say is, you two have a very... unique... sense of humor. Check it out:
thellama73 wrote:Here are your two videos to judge:

I have no idea who sent each video. I gave the win to the one about the computer cooler. It was weird, but the comments in the video were actually pretty funny. I still don't know what to think of the other... thing. I suppose it made me smile? :huh:

So that's another one you guys will have to tell me who won. Who sent me each video, Vomps and sanmateo?

Night 4: Fountain of Memes.
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:So, how about this:

Whoever does the best job at expressing their thoughts with images and videos wins. I'll decide the winner myself when the day phase is over.

If they say something with text, they are not automatically disqualified. But if their opponent can do a better job than them at expressing themselves without text, they are at a disadvantage because I may pick the opponent instead of them.

Likewise, they can do the G-Man thing of posting meme-like images full of text, but if their opponent can do that without the text, they have a better chance at winning.

In the end, it's up to the player to handle the trade-off between playing John Nash's game and playing the normal game, and finding a way to say what they want without losing the John Nash game.
I got this one from G-Man's image posting thingy. Felt perfect at the time.

I honestly thought aether would have a big advantage since she is literally an artist irl. But she didn't even show up to play. Maybe that was because she was under heavy fire at the time though, so perhaps I should have thought that one better.

Splints did a pretty good job though, and won the game automatically.

Night 5: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEPIC RAP BATTLES FROM HISTORYMAFIA SYNDICATE
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:The next game is: RAP BATTLE!

The two players will have to engage in a rap battle in the thread. It won't be video contest, instead they will have to write their raps in text form.

Each player will be allowed a single text. In this text, the player will be allowed to write a maximum of 24 lines.

The two players will send their raps to the hosts, and they will be posted in the night, along with a poll so people can vote for the winner, just like in the music contest. Likewise, anyone can vote regardless of whether they are playing the game or not.

To help with the theme, I propose them a question: "Why are you better at mafia than your opponent?"

Rhymes are not mandatory, but are recommended. Remember this is a competition.

It's a rap battle, so swearing and being rude is allowed. Expect your opponent to be rude too. But try to avoid saying things you think would insult them in real life. Common sense is advised here. Remember this is just a game.

The targets for this action are Golden and JaggedJimmyJay.
An idea I was waiting to implement for the entire game. Golden was the only victim left alive (excluding Turnip but I wasn't expecting him to survive the night, which was a good prediction), and Jay hadn't played in a long time. It was kind of tricky to make the rules for this one. I thought of doing it in multiple rounds, but then I realized it could be hard to fit it in real life time. So I made it a single-post thing. The results were better than I'd expected.

Golden won due to the poll.

Night 6: none.

I did not send any games in this night (and I have no idea whether my death would have stopped the game from happening or not). For two reasons: First, I was completely out of good ideas. At least ideas that did not leave me in the dark like the chess game (I originally had a plan of making two players play pokemon online, which would be amusing but I wouldn't get to see the battle). Second, at this point I'd already realized the incredible self-confirmation potential of John Nash. So I decided I'd lay low for a phase, then make the remaining unconfirmed players (sanmateo and Vomps again) play some public game on Day 8, and confirm myself as John Nash in lylo. The plan looked pretty good, but I died.

And that's it. This is simply put, the most awesome role I've ever had, and likely will ever have, in my mafia carreer. It gave an entire new dimension to the game. Now not only I had to hunt scum, I also had to design games.

I thank the hosts for giving me that opportunity. And for giving me overall a very good first game for me on this site. I'm looking foward to play more games here in the future. :clap:
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

And I forgot to add:

RIP John Nash, the great economist who coincidentally passed out in real life while this game was going on. I hope my games were good enough a homage for you.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Sorry, "passed away", not "passed out". My bad.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 110

Post by Epignosis »

Pleased to see the role was not wasted.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Epignosis wrote:Pleased to see the role was not wasted.
So I suppose you were the previous John Nash?

The thought of that is scary. :puppy:
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 269

Post by G-Man »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:G-Man, sorry to say that, but you're not very good at probability.

You keep looking at the chance of a particular player being mafia after being mafia the first time, but the truth is that those events are independent. Every player has the exact same chance of being mafia, no matter how many times they were before.

Likewise, that thing you said about there being a low chance at all 6 noobs being town doesn't make sense. Pick any group of random 6 players, and you have the exact same chance of they all being town, regardless of them being noobs or not.

Just because something is unlikely doesn't mean it's more unlikely than the other things you should be comparing it to.
Well, I am an accountant, not a mathematician or statistician. It was a quick and dirty calculation that very well may have been wrong.

I took the fact that everyone had a 4 in 19 chance of being mafia the first time or a 21.05% chance. I then multiplied that first 21.05% chance by another 21.05% chance of being mafia twice. The odds of being picked as mafia twice are 4.43%. That, I believe is pretty sound.

What I did next was multiply that 4.43% by four players to give me a quick and dirty number. I was going for a 4-player double mafia OR scenario: A is double mafia OR B is double mafia OR C is double mafia OR D is double mafia. That gave me a 17.72% chance of one of us being mafia twice.

The I went for the odds of someone being picked mafia first and then serial killer second or 4/19 x 1/19 for a 1.11% chance of switching from mafia to serial killer.

I then multiplied that by four to represent the odds of one of the four of us being the serial killer the second time (another OR scenario). That gave me a 4.44% chance that one of us went from mafia to serial killer.

Then I added the 17.72% double mafia odds and the 4.44% mafia-to-sk odds to arrive at a 22.16% chance that one of the four of us was a baddie role after the reset.

If that's wrong, it's probably due to my adding of %'s together. Regardless, it served me well, as Roxy did indeed wind up a double mafia.

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:That said, your image posting antics were one of the most memorable things about this game. Well played, man.
Thanks. It was far more work than I intended it to be but it was a fun way to express myself. Probably a frightening way to introduce myself to so many new people though. Now you guys are going to have such high expectations for me the next time I play. :disappoint:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 294

Post by Golden »

DDL - I'm glad you loved that role, because the syndicate brand of mafia is full of potential for getting and playing those kind of roles.

Canuck, in Roger Rabbit mafia, had a role which allowed her to come up with a way of getting the entire mafia team to out themselves one after the other in the thread. It was one of the most epic uses of a civilian role I have ever seen.

And I have a 'lawmaker' function in my Battlestar Galactica game where a player can create laws to bind everyone playing - I haven't seen that type of role before so I'm hoping it plays out well.

And as much as MP peed all over the thread, I peed all over my inbox when I was targetted by Nash. That rap competition was so much fun!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Oh yeah that's something I realized later. The singing game was a match between two accountants.

I should have made the two of you sing about accounting or something like that. :P

G-Man, what I mean is, it's not that your calculations are wrong, it's your premise that someone being mafia before does anything to the chance of them being mafia now. But whatever, it worked for you.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Epignosis wrote:Pleased to see the role was not wasted.
So I suppose you were the previous John Nash?

The thought of that is scary. :puppy:
No, I was Coase turned Friedman.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 269

Post by G-Man »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Night 2: The Voice: Mafia Edition
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Ok, today it's going to be a singing contest.

The two players have to send videos of them singing. It can be any song, no restrictions of genre. They can play instruments of they want, or have them played in the background if they want. Or nothing except their voice only. Doesn't matter as long as they are the ones doing the singing. Also rapping is not singing.

Just for the sake of estabilishing a limit, the song should have no more than 10 minutes. More than that and I'll start doubting if they're singing a song or a whole album.

No other people singing with them. Just the person who was targetted by the action, alone. Other people playing instruments is okay though, but remember the point of this is to show how well they can sing, not how well their friend can do guitar solos.

They should, at some point of the video, show clearly that they are the forum user who was challenged. Either by saying their name out loud or showing it written on a paper.

The targets will be MovingPictures and G-Man.

As for the winning criterium. I want to hold a vote. One idea I have it to open a separate thread with a poll in the forum so people can vote for who was the best singer. People who are not playing the game should be allowed to vote too, the more the better. If for some reason that can't be done, then I just suggest using this: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll321446xA8044a58-12
On Night 2, I decided to go all guns blazing. Making MP sing was my secondary winning condition for this game. So I pulled out my best game idea right away, before either me or him died.

Why MP? Well I was wanting to do this prank since the first day I got the role, but I was feeling uneasy about pranking random people I didn't even know. But MP was already my friend, and it's a lot easier to do that with friends, and he strikes me as the type not to get angry about such pranks. Finally, this post of his sealed the deal:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Also listening to Skylarking thanks to Jay's 'singing'. :P

Just kidding, it's way better than my singing.

Anyway, it's an amazing album that I haven't listened to in WAY too long.
After that I really wanted to know what MP's singing was all about. :feb:

G-Man was picked for a similar reason. The whole image posting thing striked me as a guy who would like the joke. I'm glad I wasn't wrong.

So G-Man won this one, as per the poll result. Next:
You picked wisely my friend. :beer: I'm all about showmanship, even if I can't sing well. Frankly, I think The Syndicate should implement a rule requiring singing competitions in every game. :nicenod:

Also, I'll PM you tomorrow with some observations and wisdom obtained from posting only in pictures, etc.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
fingersplints
Hitman
Posts in topic: 231

Post by fingersplints »

Golden wrote:splints vote for aether was also a vote for black rock...

[bHow clever. [/b]Splints, you played that role very well. It's a shame no-one ever came up with that explanation.

Don't act so surprised. :meany: haha

Damn golden:( fell asleep and not what I was hoping for. I kinda had a feeling I was wrong when Golden didn't get all mad at me "accidentally" voting the wrong option. I knew bwt was suspicious too :p
G-Man wrote:
Epignosis wrote: My real plan was to behave outrageously enough to keep myself alive long enough for the role checker to target me.
Next time try posting in pictures. Apparently people cut you a looooot of slack even after they realize you're not cursed. :haha: :feb:
I cut you slack most of the game because you were next to me on the poll :)
Gro-oo-ovy
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

You are also officially off the "do not kill early because I feel bad for" list that I mentioned Golden :suspicious:
Gro-oo-ovy
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Golden is officially in my "never place too high in the rainbow list no matter how townie they seem to be" list. A very select list that can be counted in one hand.

It also doubles as the "do not lynch on d1 because they can be an asset to town" list.
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 161
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I can guarantee you vompatti sent you the watercooling video, DDL.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 225
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

My role checks were
N1 - JJJ
N2 - DDL
N3 - Roxy
N4 - Bass

I hinted to both JJJ and DDL in the thread that I knew their roles. Did either of you catch that? :mafia:
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

thellama73 wrote:
Golden wrote:So, I guess the game was over because I had it won at that point. If it could have played out, I was NKing vomps, trying to convince splints to use her vote manipulation the next day, stopping the lynch, killing her that night, and if that still failed using my vote manipulations the day after. This lynch was really the key.

Thank you for a very well played game, guys. You made it incredibly tough for me, I've never had to work this hard as a mafia before.

TB was my fault. I thought she was Akerlof. But the rest of the kills were in the order that I determined on the first day I was in the game. MPs flip on splints meant he had some way of getting info. So did his "TB is not adam smith" statement. Plus his dogpee mafia team that was completely off base was too good to allow him the chance to change his mind.

TH had to be akerlof, and he had to go next. DDL went because I figured if JJ could use a NK protect that's the night he would use it (I so would have preferred to lynch you DDL). Then JJ, who I would have killed three days earlier if I could have, but I just couldn't.

Unfortunately, games like this screw up my civilian game for months, because everyone stops trusting me.

Thanks for being a team, Bass and Roxy! I'm sorry it didn't last long.
That's right, there was no way you could have lost at this point, especially since Fingersplints' role would have required her to vote for herself as well as you.
Actually, it came down to me and Golden I would have voted Russ, so that I didn't get any votes. I didn't like the host options because it took away more votes for players for me but I would have used it to my advantage there. I'm not trying to argue the game shouldn't have been ended there because I definitely think it should have been, just I could have avoided a vote for myself still! I was very scared all game of getting votes by my role.
I used my vote manips this lynch though anyways and golden probably had a bunch. He probably would have revisited his kill Vomps plan after I got incredibly annoying towards him (despite Vomps being my number 2 I would definitely have turned on Golden after that result)
Gro-oo-ovy
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Nah. The only thing I was afraid of was one of you might have a kill, and if so it wouldn't matter who I killed. I thought you would probably have used some of your guns and butter for other things, I thought vomps might be saving up, and I thought you would consider using some on a NK protection, and I didn't think he would. So vomps it would have been.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 769
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

This is why Mafia is a great game. You can pour your heart and soul into it and still lose. :phew:

Beautifully played Golden! You too BWT. Had you allowed me to play in LyLo (I wish I could have been there for you townies), I would have absolutely not voted for G-Man.
I'd have voted for splints :eek:
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Oh so splints screw up wasnt actually a screw up. She had that role who votes for the ones at the side. Interesting.
I was falling asleep at the computer waiting for Gman to vote so I could know if I needed to pretend to vote myself or Golden lol
Gro-oo-ovy
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Truth be told I would have interrogated the crap out of everyone, but that doesn't mean I'd have gotten it right. It was a tough-ass LyLo, and it's definitely hard to get past a Vompatti and a G-Man in that position. This was a well played game by both sides and someone had to lose. :)
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

You know, there was a very small part of me that toyed with killing G-Man or Vomps last night....

But realistically, it would have been either you or splints at lylo.

Just goes to show - maybe I WAS a coward. Willing after NKing G-Man would have been an epic way to go.

But I had my gameplan mapped out for a long time beforehand and I needed to stick to it. JJ, did you purchase a NK protect on the night I killed DDL?
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Winning, I mean.

And JJJ, it was soooooooo much fun playing with you. You've given my civilian game a new dimension, I reckon. Stick around. Please.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Thanks for hosting a great game, Russ and llama! And thank you for being so welcoming to all of us new people.

Moreover, thank you everyone for being so welcoming. The Syndicate seems like a lovely place and I'm happy to have had this chance to play with you all. Thank you for tolerating my ridiculous Mafia habits for such a long lifespan. ;)

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote:But I had my gameplan mapped out for a long time beforehand and I needed to stick to it. JJ, did you purchase a NK protect on the night I killed DDL?
I purchased one on the night Turnip Head was killed.

I had the protective role though. And I went 0 for 7 on my targets.

:Uhh:

Really though I picked the right names, but never on the right nights.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Golden wrote:Nah. The only thing I was afraid of was one of you might have a kill, and if so it wouldn't matter who I killed. I thought you would probably have used some of your guns and butter for other things, I thought vomps might be saving up, and I thought you would consider using some on a NK protection, and I didn't think he would. So vomps it would have been.
I had a gun and a butter. I never understood how to get any more :shrug:
I don't think it would have mattered anyways. Like I said I think the game ended where it should have. :)
Gro-oo-ovy
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I think this game could be considered my TS coming out party.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote:Winning, I mean.

And JJJ, it was soooooooo much fun playing with you. You've given my civilian game a new dimension, I reckon. Stick around. Please.
Likewise! And I appreciate that. This game will have served me very well as I prepare for the champs finale thing precisely because of the way you played this one. My interactive analyses are useful until mafia players make adjustments to account for me. And whether you consciously meant to or not, you definitely did that. It made you very difficult to track.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:

Likewise! And I appreciate that. This game will have served me very well as I prepare for the champs finale thing precisely because of the way you played this one. My interactive analyses are useful until mafia players make adjustments to account for me. And whether you consciously meant to or not, you definitely did that. It made you very difficult to track.
I absolutely consciously meant to. My goal as a mafia player is to play my civilian game as much as possible, but you forced me to take it to the extreme. I knew I had nowhere to hide if I made even a single slip. You made it a very stressful game.

And I am very glad you didn't realise TH was the target that night (in two different ways)
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Remember how I said I signed up for too many games... If I had won this one I would have ended up winning all 4 games I was in at the same time. (Pretty sure I won the jtm one because I was dead but think it was one of those dead players win too ones - I got mvp that game anyways) that would have been awesome :sigh:
Gro-oo-ovy
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Turnip Head wrote:My role checks were
N1 - JJJ
N2 - DDL
N3 - Roxy
N4 - Bass

I hinted to both JJJ and DDL in the thread that I knew their roles. Did either of you catch that? :mafia:
I highly suspected you had checked Jay and DDL the first two nights! Awesome. :slick:
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Is there a list of the roles out now? I don't think I guessed anyone right

I should probably just go back to sleep now though haha damn this game is still keeping me awake!
Gro-oo-ovy
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

My basic strategy was 'If I fool JJJ long enough, I'll win the game'. That's the breaks of being the most dominant voice in the thread. I had that problem in Narnia mafia over at INFJ forum.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

This. It was playing with Jay and the other folks at RYM in Mafia #84 that recently really got me very into trying to actively revamp the way I approach the game, particularly as a civilian, as much as possible.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Of course it's playing with fire. JJ, you have a great ability to turn completely on someone's alignment in a second.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 225
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Golden wrote:But I had my gameplan mapped out for a long time beforehand and I needed to stick to it. JJ, did you purchase a NK protect on the night I killed DDL?
I purchased one on the night Turnip Head was killed.
I tried purchasing one on the night Turnip Head was killed too, and learned that you couldn't sell a gun for $1 and buy an NK protection at the same time :fist:

I would have still been able to purchase it that night if the mafia hadn't destroyed one of my guns on a previous night. Well played there, baddies. I was hoping to get the last laugh though :haha:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Thanks for hosting a great game, Russ and llama! And thank you for being so welcoming to all of us new people.

Moreover, thank you everyone for being so welcoming. The Syndicate seems like a lovely place and I'm happy to have had this chance to play with you all. Thank you for tolerating my ridiculous Mafia habits for such a long lifespan. ;)
Very glad to hear it. :)

Hey, if I could put up with G-Man's pictures or Vomps, I can easily put up with your supatown style. :p :slick:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

fingersplints wrote:Remember how I said I signed up for too many games... If I had won this one I would have ended up winning all 4 games I was in at the same time. (Pretty sure I won the jtm one because I was dead but think it was one of those dead players win too ones - I got mvp that game anyways) that would have been awesome :sigh:
Wow, that's nuts!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:Of course it's playing with fire. JJ, you have a great ability to turn completely on someone's alignment in a second.
This is SO true.

Oh my god, I'll never forget Mafia #84 when we lynched the first two scum on D1 and D2, then we had a couple of mislynches trying to find that pesky third one. After engaging two other players (Strawhenge and Seaside) who seemed more likely lynch candidates than the third player (other than Jay, sleepy, and myself, who were masons), Jay suddenly turned around on ProFic and we got him!

If it wasn't for Jay's intense analyzing and thus a sudden lightbulb moment, I would have proceeded to lynch Seaside, then Straw, since ProFic was reading most town to me of those three easily.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I like to recognize everyone when games end, especially such fun games as this turned out to be.

aether -- you did a wonderful job expressing yourself earnestly when the pressure was at its worst. and you left us solid content to work with without getting huffy or frustrated. that is a rare talent for townies, trust me.

Bass -- that Black Rock vote was slick my man. and you were my top performer in the experimental gun to head exercise. a less formidable town than this one was would have never lynched you.

BWT -- your bussing of Bass on Day 1 was so bold. it could have genuinely gotten him killed, and that's awesome. you set the table perfectly for Golden to finish this game.

Black Rock -- i hope you're feeling better! it sucks you had to get sick; in limited action i could tell you are a very skilled player.

Vompatti -- when it counted most, you tried. and for that i thank you.

DDL -- i love your townie approach. you were willing to get yourself in a little trouble for the greater good. the value of that, and your skill in playing that way, cannot be overstated. also, i beat Sloonei in the chess game (it was his time playing ever :P)

Elohcin -- bad luck! without MP's adam smith maneuver there's no telling how long you'd have proceeded. and even if not that long, i thought you displayed solid defensive talents.

Epignosis -- i hope i didn't rub you the wrong way with my Day/Night 1 aggression against you. i didn't mean it personally. rather, i saw you as the provocative type, and my favorite thing in all of mafia is to provoke provokers. had you been given more time to play, i am sure you'd have been a big asset.

fingersplints -- one of the single most impressive things to happen in this game, imo, was your transition from public top suspect to public top town read (not just MP's reversal. everyone's).

G-Man -- your methods may have been grating at times, but you were always putting forth good effort. especially late in the game, you produced as much good content as anyone else and gave it your all.

Golden -- you were the first to die and the last survivor in the same game. that's fun. obviously you were the star of the game and i commend you for a great performance.

JJJ -- top bloke; good egg

Marshy -- i can tell you're fun to play with and wish you'd have lived longer. that can be remedied in the RYM game.

MP -- this was the best game i've ever seen you play for sure. when you were alive you left everyone else in the dust in terms of effort, including me. and that does not happen. :eek:

Roxy -- this game may have been a somewhat rocky experience for you. i'm glad we've been able to talk about it a bit and it was truly a lot of fun to play with you. i hope it happens again soon!

sanmateo -- i suck man. i knew you were town and still helped lynch you. definitely my biggest error in this game (even if i felt like i had no choice). don't sweat the off reads, we all have games like that sometimes.

Sloonei -- you showed up, did your thing as well as you've ever done it, and got killed on Night 2. consider The Syndicate afraid. :slick:

TinyBubbles -- you bring a lovely spirit to the game and that is always infectious. i hope to play with you again. mafia can never have enough nice, skillful players.

Turnip Head -- town followed your lead and it paid off. i was excited to have a chance to play with you and it's plainly obvious why these folks sent you to the champs tournament. awesome game man.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Golden -- you were the first to die and the last survivor in the same game.
I hadn't thought of that. What awesome symmetry that is.

Also, I would like to harken back to this prophetic post I made on day one:
Golden wrote:In a game about the economy, voting out the guy called 'golden' is certain to lead to a recession at minimum.
Full on depression, I reckon!
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote:Of course it's playing with fire. JJ, you have a great ability to turn completely on someone's alignment in a second.
To be honest, a lot of my most confident-seeming assertions of alignment are just lies. Calling someone a clear mafioso can generate interesting reactions.

So can calling them the towniest townie to ever town. ;)

I feel like I have to remain completely flexible at all times. I essentially put myself in a position of leadership, and if I tunnel anyone (or place permanent unwarranted trust in anyone), then the consequences of those errors are on my hands.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Epignosis -- i hope i didn't rub you the wrong way with my Day/Night 1 aggression against you. i didn't mean it personally. rather, i saw you as the provocative type, and my favorite thing in all of mafia is to provoke provokers. had you been given more time to play, i am sure you'd have been a big asset.
No one rubs me the wrong way! It's a game.

All the same, I hope to run you through the dyer without any fabric softener one of these days. :smoky:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
This is SO true.

Oh my god, I'll never forget Mafia #84 when we lynched the first two scum on D1 and D2, then we had a couple of mislynches trying to find that pesky third one. After engaging two other players (Strawhenge and Seaside) who seemed more likely lynch candidates than the third player (other than Jay, sleepy, and myself, who were masons), Jay suddenly turned around on ProFic and we got him!

If it wasn't for Jay's intense analyzing and thus a sudden lightbulb moment, I would have proceeded to lynch Seaside, then Straw, since ProFic was reading most town to me of those three easily.
a very similar scenario played out in this game, but without the necessary quick-turn obviously.

that way-too-easy aether-sanmateo-G-Man lynch setup? yeah if i'm mafia i pursue that too.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Also my previous highest post count in a mafia game was 525. in this one i had 739 at my death. :beer:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I hit 1000 Syndicate posts in the endgame somewhere.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MP -- this was the best game i've ever seen you play for sure. when you were alive you left everyone else in the dust in terms of effort, including me. and that does not happen. :eek:
Thanks, Jay! :)

I'm pretty proud of my performance this game myself. As I mentioned earlier, I was treating it with a Champs-like level of effort, which admittedly I'm not able to give to every other game due to RL (pesky RL getting in the way of mafia, am I right?).

That said, even though I did go all out in terms of time, I feel like my motivation and methods were also more effective than in other recent games, despite missteps along the way (Epi, got lucky with Elo, G-Man, etc.).

You did pretty well yourself, as expected. Not sure it's the best game I've ever seen you play though, but that's no easy feat.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
This is SO true.

a very similar scenario played out in this game, but without the necessary quick-turn obviously.

that way-too-easy aether-sanmateo-G-Man lynch setup? yeah if i'm mafia i pursue that too.
Yeah, that's a good point, there are definitely some parallels. Only it's like an alternate universe where we didn't catch ProFic this time and now his name is Golden. :scared:
acrosstheaether
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 131

Post by acrosstheaether »

I was betting my money on it being Vompatti :o

Return to “Previous Side Missions”