The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 646
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: Battlestar Galactica Mafia - Day One

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Matt, do you genuinely suspect Scotty?
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Matt
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 455

Post by Matt »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Matt, do you genuinely suspect Scotty?
Well it's a little early, but I was pinged by it. But that's probably my paranoia and I'd be saying that about anyone who solved it.

As for the Final Five thing, I was thinking about the show, and realized that there's potentially one of the Final Five who could turn scum. Without giving too much away about the show, there is one of the Final Five who absolutely deserved to die and...did. :)
Image Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Matt wrote:
Well it's a little early, but I was pinged by it. But that's probably my paranoia and I'd be saying that about anyone who solved it.

As for the Final Five thing, I was thinking about the show, and realized that there's potentially one of the Final Five who could turn scum. Without giving too much away about the show, there is one of the Final Five who absolutely deserved to die and...did. :)
While I don't think it's inherently town-inclined for someone to solve the puzzle, I don't think it's suspicious either. Why does that behavior affect you this way, whether it's paranoia or not?
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Matt
Racketeer

Post by Matt »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Matt wrote:

While I don't think it's inherently town-inclined for someone to solve the puzzle, I don't think it's suspicious either. Why does that behavior affect you this way, whether it's paranoia or not?
Sweet. You actually want to discuss this! Lately I kinda just say "weeelll this person's bad mkay bye" because I don't like to bug peeps with my theories.

Anywho, so maybe I kinda lied and it's not just that it could be ANYONE who solved the puzzle.

I was initially pinged by Scotty's first post, I believe it was, when he came in and said "Oh snap if I was here I could totally solve this but I got my show!" and boom, bailed. Then later, right before the deadline, actually comes back and solved it! :faint: I was like, "what?" But then again, sure I've played a few games with Scotty, but I don't know him so well, so perhaps he wasn't lying and he is actually very good at solving puzzles.

But...again, I'm Matt. Nice to meet you. So this means Scotty is probably the President or something :beer:
Image Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

ika wrote:ok now i have light town read on silver.

im getting tired too

silver can i call soon we should need sleep
In both of your Syndicate mafia-aligned games, among your earliest contributions was to provide a town read on Silverwolf. What inspires this read, and more importantly to me: why is it "slight"?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Matt
Racketeer

Post by Matt »

Oh wow, I forgot to include that I think it's possible that if Scotty is bad, then he obviously had help from his teamies, and they chose Scotty as the "Great Puzzle Solver Guy" spokesperson. That's why I'd like to know if anyone else has previous knowledge of Scotty being good at stuff like this.
Image Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Matt wrote:Sweet. You actually want to discuss this! Lately I kinda just say "weeelll this person's bad mkay bye" because I don't like to bug peeps with my theories.
You're here right now and the game is currently too young to boast much meaningful content. We have the opportunity to change that right now by talking about pretty much anything game-relevant. If you have theories, I'm interested in hearing them.
Matt wrote:Anywho, so maybe I kinda lied and it's not just that it could be ANYONE who solved the puzzle.

I was initially pinged by Scotty's first post, I believe it was, when he came in and said "Oh snap if I was here I could totally solve this but I got my show!" and boom, bailed. Then later, right before the deadline, actually comes back and solved it! :faint: I was like, "what?" But then again, sure I've played a few games with Scotty, but I don't know him so well, so perhaps he wasn't lying and he is actually very good at solving puzzles.

But...again, I'm Matt. Nice to meet you. So this means Scotty is probably the President or something :beer:
So you feel then that there's at least some chance that Scotty's initiative in the puzzle-solving scene was motivated by a perceived need to appear helpful rather than a sincere affection for puzzle-solving?

I'd welcome Scotty to rebut. Rebut, Scotty.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Matt, what if I was to tell you that you could be accused of smearing Scotty for a dubious reason (his part in the puzzle process) because you want to provide some immediate pushback to the general thread climate hoisting up the puzzle solvers in a positive light?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Matt
Racketeer

Post by Matt »

Ummmm smear away, I can honestly say that I don't care. Gonna have a lot of thoughts this game, that's just the first!
Image Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Matt wrote:Ummmm smear away, I can honestly say that I don't care. Gonna have a lot of thoughts this game, that's just the first!
I wouldn't care either.

Someone else should come in here and say things. I would love some real-time Mafia dialogue. Feed me.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Matt
Racketeer

Post by Matt »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Matt wrote:Ummmm smear away, I can honestly say that I don't care. Gonna have a lot of thoughts this game, that's just the first!
I wouldn't care either.

Someone else should come in here and say things. I would love some real-time Mafia dialogue. Feed me.
Zebra's here. You should ask her questions with all the big words and stuff.

:workit:
Image Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

a2thezebra wrote:Come on Matt let's chat!
Zebra you wanted to chat with Matt (killer rhymes bro). Matt's here. I'm here too. Chat with us. What did you want to talk about with Matt?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Matt
Racketeer

Post by Matt »

Actually I'm about to go out for about an hour or so, late night shenanis here in AZ.

But you two have a blast!
Image Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

*drowns in a pool of loneliness*

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Silverwolf
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 310

Post by Silverwolf »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Someone else should come in here and say things. I would love some real-time Mafia dialogue. Feed me.
Allow me. I should go back to bed but am dealing with major insomnia so I'll at least give you this to chew on and then probably get some more sleep.

I understand you want to dismiss any sort of reads on the puzzle solving and I understand where you are coming from, but I want to explain my thought process on that a bit as I do think there is a way to read players off it to a certain extent.

My reasoning on this, is that there is enough there to at the least get light townreads off of players based on tone of posts for one thing. Polo for example went out of his way to try to solve things using complex methods and spending a lot of time on it. He also seemed genuinely frustrated when called out on it by Obscure. This plus the overall tone of his posts, warrants a light townread. Drumbeats immediately tried to scumhunt off it and was poking at inactive players. This looks more like a town mindset overall because he's game solving in an active manner early game and trying to get reads. I honestly see scum, if here to participate, not caring too much about this stage of the game.

Now, I do take into account that some people, like me, just couldn't figure it out so I'm not reading on accuracy or giving a townread on solving it. I also am aware this gives scum a great opportunity to appear helpful so I'm not gonna townread on just trying to help alone.

Anyway, that's kind of my thought process on the whole puzzle solving game. Also, I don't think scum is likely to give kind of an odd theory like Matt threw out right off the bat to suspect someone so that pings me slightly townish-this is somewhat of a gut read too.

Like I said, I'm looking at trying to find some town to work with first as I always find those easier to get early game then scumreads.

OK, There ya go. Good night!!
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Silverwolf wrote:Allow me. I should go back to bed but am dealing with major insomnia so I'll at least give you this to chew on and then probably get some more sleep.

I understand you want to dismiss any sort of reads on the puzzle solving and I understand where you are coming from, but I want to explain my thought process on that a bit as I do think there is a way to read players off it to a certain extent.

My reasoning on this, is that there is enough there to at the least get light townreads off of players based on tone of posts for one thing. Polo for example went out of his way to try to solve things using complex methods and spending a lot of time on it. He also seemed genuinely frustrated when called out on it by Obscure. This plus the overall tone of his posts, warrants a light townread. Drumbeats immediately tried to scumhunt off it and was poking at inactive players. This looks more like a town mindset overall because he's game solving in an active manner early game and trying to get reads. I honestly see scum, if here to participate, not caring too much about this stage of the game.

Now, I do take into account that some people, like me, just couldn't figure it out so I'm not reading on accuracy or giving a townread on solving it. I also am aware this gives scum a great opportunity to appear helpful so I'm not gonna townread on just trying to help alone.

Anyway, that's kind of my thought process on the whole puzzle solving game. Also, I don't think scum is likely to give kind of an odd theory like Matt threw out right off the bat to suspect someone so that pings me slightly townish-this is somewhat of a gut read too.

Like I said, I'm looking at trying to find some town to work with first as I always find those easier to get early game then scumreads.

OK, There ya go. Good night!!
I can dig it. I understand where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree with your logic. I do think actually that it's perfectly reasonable to set the foundation for a read based upon people's treatment of other puzzle solvers rather than based upon the puzzle solving itself (which it appears you and DrumBeats have done).

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I'm going to just say right now that I will not be broadcasting town reads in this game like I normally do unless I think it is necessary to prevent a mislynch. Different game structure and rules call for a different approach. However, I don't think town is as likely to win the game without trying to work together, so I'd recommend we maintain a focus on team work even if we're not blatantly saying "so and so is my top town read".
I said this like a half hour ago or something and it's already bugging me, because it's just not how I am used to playing Mafia. I can adjust if it's for the best, but that brings me to this: a general question for everyone else playing in this game right now...

If I have a town read on you for whatever reason or to whatever degree, would you prefer that I broadcast it into the thread or keep it closer to the vest? Your answers might have a real effect on my treatment of you in this game, so lemme get 'em.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Vompatti
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 93

Post by Vompatti »

Greetings comrades! Having thoroughly read and analized the thread I have decided to randomize my spreadsheets with a little help from the I Ching. :beer:
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Silverwolf
Drug Dealer

Post by Silverwolf »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I'm going to just say right now that I will not be broadcasting town reads in this game like I normally do unless I think it is necessary to prevent a mislynch. Different game structure and rules call for a different approach. However, I don't think town is as likely to win the game without trying to work together, so I'd recommend we maintain a focus on team work even if we're not blatantly saying "so and so is my top town read".
I said this like a half hour ago or something and it's already bugging me, because it's just not how I am used to playing Mafia. I can adjust if it's for the best, but that brings me to this: a general question for everyone else playing in this game right now...

If I have a town read on you for whatever reason or to whatever degree, would you prefer that I broadcast it into the thread or keep it closer to the vest? Your answers might have a real effect on my treatment of you in this game, so lemme get 'em.
I'm gonna be all wishy washy and say whatever way works best for you. I'd like to read you based on what is comfortable for you to play. I don't really need to know if someone is townreading me but I do want to know if they are scumreading me so I can figure out the motivation for that.

So..............your call I guess.
Nerolunar
The Mark
Posts in topic: 80

Post by Nerolunar »

So Say We All!

Hello everyone. I just discovered that this game started but I don´t have time on my hands at the moment. Will read it through when I am able to :beer:
ImageImage

Regardless, I think Nero should be lynched on grounds that he's my partner, your partner, Enrique's partner, the Joker, the Riddler, the Gingerbread Man, and Toto.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 383

Post by S~V~S »

Wow I crashed on the couch mid contest and return to almost 300 posts. Time to start at the very beginning.

So say we all (again).
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 835

Post by Ricochet »

So say we all! Even fraking retards like myself who couldn't be around for the first half of the day, already. I started a prep course this morning for my next teaching level exams and I had no idea how long it'll take and it ended up lasting 6 hours, which is 2 hours more than I slept last nigth. :|

Anyway, I'm battling a massive headache right now, but I'll try to look into the main issues, during the next hour or so.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Polo wrote:My vote proably goes to LoRab. LoRab has been watching but only made one non-constructive post during our attempt to save our asses.
Just a point; a lot of people on this forum go invisible. When you pick on people who are visible and reading the thread as lurking, the REAL invisible lurkers chuckle.

Just saying.

Good job puzzle solvers. You were better off without me, I suck at those things.
Silverwolf wrote:
ika wrote:ok now i have light town read on silver.

im getting tired too

silver can i call soon we should need sleep
Already?

I do like your engagement and posting level so far and am also lightly townreading you as well as Polo and DrumBeats for actively trying to game solve and DrumBeats is already scumhunting.

The way I play, for those that don't know, is I try to find town if I don't have a good scumread so I can narrow things down.

Very minor FoS on SVS and Gman for posting but saying nothing of substance. I'd like to see more here since they were around and didn't do anything to solve the puzzle.
On occasion you might see me later than 9 or 10, but not much later.

And what does fos mean again? I know it is "finger of" but I forget the last part. I recall you mentioning it before.

Re puzzle solvers: Civvies or cred seekers. Golden said there were limited chances to solve and time limits. I would guess that would mean negative consequences for NOT solving since I don't see positive results for having solved it (unless the puzzle solvers got something not publicized in thread). His initial post doesn't mention consequence or reward.
Golden wrote:A message has been intercepted which may help us be rid of the cylons. However, little can be read.

Each person may name one letter. First three letters named in the thread will be added to the cypher.

You have 33 minutes to solve it.

~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~
I don't doubt baddies would white knight on the puzzle solving for cred to the point of solving it; I have seen people, notably aapje, doing this in the past. Especially if you are someone people expect it of. So I won't give people special cred for doing it BUT with no mention of consequences, I don't see a motivation for Scotty or polo specifically to do it since their puzzleyness is unknown to most of us. I would not expect it of them, so I would not have noticed it had they not.

By the same token, I am not going to base much in the way of baddie reads on lack of puzzle solving participation.

I am piqued by JJJs change of usual course.

JJJ, I am ok with you doing your usual patented JJJ civ thing with me. Although we did not always agree (I had such a hard time letting go of Scotty being bad, lol) I rather enjoyed it in Turf Wars.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Also, it's kinda funny to see people complaining about having to click the "view results" doodad in order to see the poll. We have only been using changeable votes for a relatively short time, so clicking it as soon as I come in the thread is still autopilot for me.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Right-o, then.

1.1. I am rather surprised to find SVS among those who have not replied to the admiral's address properly, considering she used to be a similar rulemaker herself, not long time ago. Meanwhile, ika made such a fuss about disobeying this rule, his post seems surprisingly prudent. I am not sure if consequences such as treason charges, brig time or death will be decided by the Host, but I guess the cylon suspecting part would be our task, right? Any thoughts on these two players, in particular?

A full list of people who have disobeyed rule 1, so far, is as follows:

DrumBeats
nutella
SVS
MetalMarsh89
Vompatti

1.2. I applaud the flavor and lore of the "Day 0" task, but such short-timed tasks, contests or events of such nature will prove problematic, if one is not around during that time zone. Just my two pennies.

1.3. On the issue of the final five, their reveal and alignment and such. If lore is highly strong in this game, then I would expect the Final Five finding out their true identity to fall under "certain event" category; maybe Admiral Adama jumping the fleet to a certain location, or one of President Roslin's prophetic moments?

Furthermore, their true nature make the Final Five no doubt Cylons, as opposed to humans, which would compartalize them as anti-civilian, at best. However, given lore yet again, most of the Final Five remained loyal to the human cause, the only notable exception in the series having been Tory Foster, who didn't care no more what happens to the humans. If the Final Five in this game will be randomised, there's no real way of knowing which one might suffer a change of heart or not. I motion we consider them potential independents. The ratio of humans - cylons - independents wouldn't be outrageous, for this current roster (basically 15 - 8 - 5, which is a little more than GoC '16 proved to be).

1.4. I have no inclination to read into the intentions of those who have worked on deciphering the messages (or didn't) - good work on solving it, btw! I remember two past games with deciphering tiles (sorry if there were more I'm not recalling). In Death Note, a mostly mixed ensemble of civs, baddies and unkillable Shinigamis worked on cracking it. In Turf Wars, we indies had a challenge like that and our goal was common. I think Silverwolf's assessment of it is quite fair, but even there, if a person was frustrated by being called out whilst trying to solve the challenge (Polo, I think), that frustration could simply come from anyone who is trying to work it out. Then again, I am intrigued by Polo himself having used this very same angle to berate LoRab.

All in all, you are not getting reads from me based on how you contributed to the puzzles.

1.5. We have three players having voted straight out of the gate and this I'm interested in. I supposed Polo's vote was criticism for LoRab, although it also seems he didn't realise votes would not be changeable (plus in wrong format and all that), but I guess the Host pardoned him. Did @The Host also pardon ika's vote or is it stuck on null for this phase? I don't know what's so hard about using the "View results" button, tbqh.

That leaves MetalMarsh89, who voted early Epignosis without any reasoning and with a confusing vote post format which I'm confused whether it makes the vote valid or not. Anyway, in his case, I think his (rather annoying) early votes / no-reason votes shenanigans have been a long practice of him, unfortunately not backed every time by him being a civilian. I could therefore see myself voting to lynch him for it, toDay.

1.6. Regarding JJJ's stated intentions of gameplay, I'd just say play the way you want to play.

1.7. Lastly, we could always resort to a policy lynch on Matt. :nicenod:

I'm not much in the mood to post more, for now. If there'll be more cases coming up, I'll look into them, I guess.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

@Host: Do we find nothing throughout the game about the Cylons's powers?

Do the eight Cylons have BTSC?
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

SVS, I think FoS means Finger of Suspicion.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Ricochet wrote:SVS, I think FoS means Finger of Suspicion.
That makes sense. I kept thinking it meant Finger of Shame, and I knew that couldn't be right. I guess I had it mixed up with cone of shame, like you put on dogs .

And I read the rules in the sign up thread and did the 'So Say We All" there, and forgot I had to do it again here. It did make it into my second post :noble: I just reread the rules again and they look a little more complex than they did in the sign up thread.

I have a super busy weekend, but will be around early mornings and in the evening.
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Dom »

So Say We All :noble:

Welcome to the game everyone! If you read Golden's rules, you know that I am Dom DESTROYER OF WORLDS :feb:

jk i'm here to help

Please PM me if you have any frustrations with this game or any players in any capacity. I'm here to help. Please PM me if you just want to chit chat-- I'm here to chill too. :D Don't take offense if I reach out to you-- I'm just trying my best to maintain a fun environment for all. :) Talk to you soon!

--Dombot

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

I didn't read the rules k
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Glorfindel
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 197

Post by Glorfindel »

OK, this is embarrassing... How fortunate I decided to check up on this game? You guys drag your sign-ups out for an eternity and then suddenly get the remaining players in no time at all... :mad:

In any case, greetings to you all - especially you Zebs. I'm especially happy to see you back :hug:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Glorfindel is always nicer than a puppy.

Golden wrote: I agree. Let glorf be glorf.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Greetings, Glorfindel. Are you cylon?
Vompatti wrote:I didn't read the rules k
No surprises there.

Are you rooting for the baddies this game?

---

A full list of people who have disobeyed rule 1, so far, is as follows:

DrumBeats
nutella
SVS
MetalMarsh89
Vompatti
Glorfindel
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 142
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

JJJ I think you should play the way you planned to play, unless it's no fun for you to play like that. After all, we're here to have fun.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Ricochet

Re: Battlestar Galactica Mafia - 33

Post by Ricochet »

DrumBeats wrote:
sig wrote:@HOST Will the final five know if they are cylons after the game starts. Or will it be revealed to them later?

Well Fine no helping solve the puzzle.

A
Looking back, minor townread on Sig right now for that question to the host. Final five mechanics, from what I understand of them, is something that makes a town player unknowingly scum. I do not feel like Sig would ask this if it did not apply to Sig, so I currently believe that Sig is either one of the final five, or a town player.
Wait, I revisited this post and I'm confused a bit by it, especially the underlined part. Why couldn't Sig be a Cylon (original) asking about the Final Five?
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 402
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Vompatti wrote:Greetings comrades! Having thoroughly read and analized the thread I have decided to randomize my spreadsheets with a little help from the I Ching. :beer:
What did the I Ching have to say about me?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Ricochet wrote:Greetings, Glorfindel. Are you cylon?
Vompatti wrote:I didn't read the rules k
No surprises there.

Are you rooting for the baddies this game?
I dunno, I haven't watched Battlestar Galactica.

Image Image Image
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Vompatti wrote:Greetings comrades! Having thoroughly read and analized the thread I have decided to randomize my spreadsheets with a little help from the I Ching. :beer:
You will meat a tall handsome strangler who will sweep you off your feet.

Image Image Image
DFaraday
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 11

Post by DFaraday »

So say we all

The game started 12 hours ago and we're up to 8 pages already? :faint: This is gonna be a long game.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 402
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Vompatti wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Would this tall handsome stranger sweep me off my feet if he knew I don't eat meat?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 238

Post by G-Man »

So say we all.

Any other fans of The Office think of this gem when signing up? Having never watched Battlestar Galactica, this was the first thing that crossed my mind. :P

I will catch up later today when my wife is out shopping for Mother's Day gifts for her mom.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 102
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

Whew, what a rush. I saw that I was right.

Gotta be honest, I didn't think we were gonna do it. I wasn't able to really sit down with the code until that last one. Thanks to Polo for giving out the guidepost of 'carrier'. That was immensely helpful.

I would not immediately clear anyone that worked on that cipher. I am not clear. Because it wasn't necessarily clear what solving the puzzle would yield. It could have been an advantage of some sort. So who knows, anyone could have been motivated to solve it.

For me- I'm not only a good person, but I just love solving puzzles :workit:
a2thezebra wrote:Come on Matt let's chat!
a2thezebra wrote:About all these baddies that is.
You don't seem to want to be involved, even though you're taunting Matt here. I don't like that.

@JJJ what mechanics in this game are persuading you to change your usual style? I don't see that much different than a regular game to make you want to change it up, but I'm open to different strategies if they're founded.

@Matt I appreciate your attitude of not just assuming I'm good because I may have saved the colonies, but I am. :shrug2:

@Rico I don't think hunting people because they didn't obey the first rule is a good way to identify cylons. I think they will receive their due punishment via incidental host power. If they continue to do so after the first day, then it's just blatant insubordination

i have 2 shows today and am not kidding- this day 1 couldn't have happened at a worse time in the day in the worst time of the week. I'm gonna be spotty at best today
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Vompatti wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Would this tall handsome stranger sweep me off my feet if he knew I don't eat meat?
He would sweep you like fodder. :mafia:

Image Image Image
Silverwolf
Drug Dealer

Post by Silverwolf »

Someone asked what FoS means:

FoS=Finger of Suspicion

A term (abbreviated FoS) used to formally indicate "you're being watched." It can be an implicit way of saying "I might vote for you"; typically in cases where the person doing the fingering does not want to actually vote the suspicious player.

FoS is used as a game mechanic; however, they can still be an important part of games when used as pseudovotes.

pseudovotes-In instances where a game mechanic makes voting risky or useless, pseudovotes are used instead. These are simply unofficial votes that are not counted by the moderator, but kept up with by the players themselves.

I'm probably gonna use this this game until I'm ready to vote for real.

Also, I'm gonna be pretty busy today so not sure how much I will be able to post. Just a heads up.
indiglo
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 208

Post by indiglo »

Ricochet wrote:
DrumBeats wrote:
sig wrote:@HOST Will the final five know if they are cylons after the game starts. Or will it be revealed to them later?

A
Looking back, minor townread on Sig right now for that question to the host. Final five mechanics, from what I understand of them, is something that makes a town player unknowingly scum. I do not feel like Sig would ask this if it did not apply to Sig, so I currently believe that Sig is either one of the final five, or a town player.
Wait, I revisited this post and I'm confused a bit by it, especially the underlined part. Why couldn't Sig be a Cylon (original) asking about the Final Five?
I think that's a definite possibility. I posted earlier about the 3 options I came up with that would allow a civ/townie to ask such a question. Now it's possible he is a civ/townie that isn't exempt from Cylonism, but to me it still seems like an odd question. Because he would have been told in his role pm that he was a human and secret Cylon. Or he would have been told he was a human, with no mention of being a secret Cylon. Either way, he would already know the answer to his question if he were a Human/civ/townie, simply by reading his role pm.

To me, asking that question makes more sense coming from a Cylon. But I am also aware everyone thinks differently. I am surprised this hasn't received more attention than it has, unless no one else reads it as odd. But I would still like more input from others, even if they don't think it's odd.

JJJ (can't I just call you P50 still?) - you do you, bro. Unless you really want to alter your play style. I understand your hesitancy to proclaim town reads this game, since those townies may be susceptible to being revealed as Cylons later (and possible town enemies). But still, you'll have those reads in your head at least, and will have to be aware enough to watch for changes in behavior from those town reads... so we may as well all watch for them together. Ya dig? I say play how you want to. :noble:
Epignosis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:10 pm Really, this is all just a glamorous game- nothing more.

XOXO Epi Girl
DrumBeats
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 186

Post by DrumBeats »

Ricochet wrote:
DrumBeats wrote:

A
It's not that he couldn't be, it's that I doubt he would ask if it didn't apply to him. Once we get more contribution, I could form a better read, but for now it's a slight town because I see this as a townslip. Then again, he could be scum faking a townslip, hence it being a slight D1 town read rather than a full blown one.

And in regards to my omission of So Say We All, to be honest it stemmed from the culture difference of this community to mine. I'm not used to rules such as this, or in game events, and unfortunately when I saw the event I got excited and forgot about the so say we all. Won't happen again
Polo
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 458

Post by Polo »

S~V~S wrote:Re puzzle solvers: Civvies or cred seekers. Golden said there were limited chances to solve and time limits. I would guess that would mean negative consequences for NOT solving since I don't see positive results for having solved it (unless the puzzle solvers got something not publicized in thread). His initial post doesn't mention consequence or reward.
Golden wrote:A message has been intercepted which may help us be rid of the cylons. However, little can be read.

Each person may name one letter. First three letters named in the thread will be added to the cypher.

You have 33 minutes to solve it.

~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~
I don't doubt baddies would white knight on the puzzle solving for cred to the point of solving it; I have seen people, notably aapje, doing this in the past. Especially if you are someone people expect it of. So I won't give people special cred for doing it BUT with no mention of consequences, I don't see a motivation for Scotty or polo specifically to do it since their puzzleyness is unknown to most of us. I would not expect it of them, so I would not have noticed it had they not.
There is in fact mention of consequence; read the roles again:
Golden wrote:
Galen Tyrol – Tyrol is the chief mechanic on board Galactica. Periodically, Galactica will come under Cylon attack. As long as Tyrol is alive, he will hold Galactica together and attacks will have no effect. If Tyrol is dead, however, Cylon attacks on Galactica have a chance of causing the death of an occupant on the Galactica, and a small chance of causing the destruction of Galactica and everyone on board.
Of course, we all know Galen Tyrol is alive and kicking, but we all need to be used to the solving these puzzles because Galen Tyrol may die any die and the only way we could be able to save our butts could be to solve these things.

Better to get used to it now than later!
indiglo
Money Launderer

Post by indiglo »

TBH that "So say we all" rule is not necessarily a common type of role here either. (So far as I am aware.) I'm surprised more people haven't forgotten about it! It sounded kind of like Golden is giving us all a free day on these kinds of technical issues anyway, so hopefully it won't be a problem for anyone today.

I think keeping track of who forgets to do so could potentially prove helpful, just to see if there are consequences and/or what they might be. Unless they are made public by Admiral Golden.
Epignosis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:10 pm Really, this is all just a glamorous game- nothing more.

XOXO Epi Girl
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

@Beats

I don't see how it can veer towards a townslip. If the design is faithful to the show, the certain Cylons have no memory of who the Final Five Cylons are. So the question could come from:

-- town Sig having no clue if he's Final Five (not received in his role at the start of the game)
-- town Sig having no clue how the Final Five will be revealed, regardless of him turning up as such or not, or
-- Cylon Sig trying to find out how the Final Five will be revealed (or if they have already).

Does this make sense?

Also, I think this is the first time such a obligatory "salute" rule has been introduced in games here. You not following the rule still must be accounted for, because rules are rules.

linki: ninja'd by indi
indiglo
Money Launderer

Post by indiglo »

@Polo - thanks for that Tyrol info/reminder. I thought I read everything thoroughly, but missed that or forgot it. Good thing to keep in mind come future challenges.

XOXO Epi Girl
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

indiglo wrote:
I think that's a definite possibility. I posted earlier about the 3 options I came up with that would allow a civ/townie to ask such a question. Now it's possible he is a civ/townie that isn't exempt from Cylonism, but to me it still seems like an odd question. Because he would have been told in his role pm that he was a human and secret Cylon. Or he would have been told he was a human, with no mention of being a secret Cylon. Either way, he would already know the answer to his question if he were a Human/civ/townie, simply by reading his role pm.

To me, asking that question makes more sense coming from a Cylon. But I am also aware everyone thinks differently. I am surprised this hasn't received more attention than it has, unless no one else reads it as odd. But I would still like more input from others, even if they don't think it's odd.
Snipped for relevant quoting.

If the Final Five would have received the info of being such in their role cards and sig would be one of them, I either would not imagine him asking the question in the open no more or would (although less so) imagine him asking the question as smokescreen, acting clueless.

So, in other words, a plain town rolecard hypothesis. In which case, his inquiry would be genuine in the thread. Yet, as I've explained to Beats, I don't see how that makes Sig necessarily town. Cylon could ask precisely the same, having in this case precisely as much knowledge as a townie.

Return to “Previous Jobs”