Escape From Russia [GAME OVER]

Moderator: Community Team

How would you rate this G-Man game based on his matrix?

LOL
33%
OMG
No votes
WTF
17%
FFS
33%
JFC
17%
GTFO
No votes
YCBS
No votes
STFU
No votes

Total votes: 6
Poison
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 671
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/cookies
Aka: Cookie In The Woods

Re: Escape From Russia [GAME OVER]

Post by Poison »

TonyStarkPrime wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:09 pm Poison played a great meta shattering game, Ash played a comically hard bus on someone who didn't even flip. Doesn't ever really look teamed. This was a hard game.
I mean I'm not taking another "disrespect read" from anybody. Tbh, It was really humiliating to survive in F3 in the champs only because of my meta and losing town the game at the end. Sigh. Had to change the play at some point.
XTMF wrote:Yo Poison, you are fucking dying.
Poison
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 671
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/cookies
Aka: Cookie In The Woods

Post by Poison »

Ash Lael wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:14 pm Also big shoutout to Michelle and her god reads. Caught all three of us at various points.
Yup yup yup
XTMF wrote:Yo Poison, you are fucking dying.
Hally
alien shapeshifter
Posts in topic: 1142
Preferred Pronouns: they/them

Post by Hally »

also like, what would have happened if i stayed silent and self protected? it would have been the same thing. everyone knew i was supposed to die and when i didn’t it would raise questions about me that i couldn’t answer and cause everyone to think i had some bad role that made me immune. regardless of if i hinted or not self protecting was basically self incriminating with a town doc already flipped but i had no choice. claiming or not claiming wouldn’t have made any difference and i honestly don’t get why it wasn’t allowed
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image ImageImage
tutuu
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 347

Post by tutuu »

Hally wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:20 pm honestly don’t get why it wasn’t allowed
from what ive heard its a cultural / nostalgic thing for the syndicate (or maybe before the syndicate? people from lostpedia? dunno)

personally i also dislike it, i disliked it in radiohead too, i think there are more modern and better solutions

the future is now, old man
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 53

Post by G-Man »

HOST NOTES:

-I think after 3p's and baddies winning the first three games of this series I intentionally set out to tilt the game a little to the civvies.

-I broke the pattern of having a 3p in the game, but still had my chaos role in the secret asymptomatic carrier. That was a role in my Chicka Chicka 1, 2,3 game that didn't get as much time to shine as I wanted. It's also slightly based off the Venomous Imp role from a Long Con/Black Rock game from days long ago. Amusing that he wound up with the role.

-Including the asymptomatic carrier led me to incorporate a second doctor role. I thought it provided some balance, as the civvies had to contend with the mafia and a virus threat that was statistically more likely to hit a civvie than a baddie.

-There were a total of 50 votes cast in the day polls during this game. Only 7 of them were cast for baddies.

-I really didn't know what to do with Hally when she all but outed herself as a power role and second doctor. There is subtlety and then there is what Hally did. Maybe I could have been more clear. When it was too late, I didn't feel as though I could rightfully modkill her. That would have eliminated the last power role, and the only role of significance left that could stand in the baddies way from steamrolling the game. In fact, had I modkilled her, it would have defaulted straight to a baddie victory. Had the civvies somehow come back to win, I'd have given the mafia a share of the victory, because they would have won without any mass hinting from Hally.

-I come from a culture long ago that embraced claiming at first and then turned against it when it started wrecking artfully constructed games. I am a dinosaur and a relic and I need to find a way forward with allowing claiming somehow.

-The civvies had two doctors and even received a gift in the accidental death of a baddie, and they still managed to lose the game.

-I actually pored over Google Maps for weeks plotting the literal escape route of Sidney Blumenthal and Chelsea Clinton from the end of Escape From Trump Tower through the end of this game.
The fake penthouse was in a warehouse in Perm, Russia. Sidney and Chelsea escaped on a westbound train to Kirov. From there, rail lines and highways exist between all the towns mentioned in this game. All cities and locations therein are real places, even the pizzeria across from the Golden Gate in Kiev.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

im not saying i was right to soft claim and am sorry if it ruined the game. im simply saying that ultimately i think it changed nothing and didn’t make sense to have as a rule from a game design perspective
TonyStarkPrime
Posts in topic: 427
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

Hally wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 pm i also honestly don’t get the point of no claim rules in a closed setup where there’s absolutely no gamebreaking potential whatsoever

like, everyone knew i was softing doc. i still got eliminated. it did absolutely nothing. anyone can soft anything as any alignment in a closed setup and it should be on town to figure out if it’s legit. it doesn’t make sense to me to ban claiming or hinting outright

but like, it’s not my game so
this is understandable. it's a weird line and it didn't matter in this game
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

G-Man wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:26 pm -I come from a culture long ago that embraced claiming at first and then turned against it when it started wrecking artfully constructed games.
u can still construct an artfully beautiful game that doesnt get broken by mass claiming u just gotta be big brain about it :nicenod:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Hally wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:20 pm also like, what would have happened if i stayed silent and self protected? it would have been the same thing. everyone knew i was supposed to die and when i didn’t it would raise questions about me that i couldn’t answer and cause everyone to think i had some bad role that made me immune. regardless of if i hinted or not self protecting was basically self incriminating with a town doc already flipped but i had no choice. claiming or not claiming wouldn’t have made any difference and i honestly don’t get why it wasn’t allowed
I just didn't understand why you didn't self-protect on Night 3 and healed yourself then. You could have guessed at which Long Con voter to try to save Night 4 that way. It felt like an unforced error to me.

I was also surprised that you had no reaction whatsoever to finding out that there was another doctor role in the game. I was anticipating a questioning PM from you, but I got nothing of the sort.
My Banners:
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

tutuu wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:30 pm
G-Man wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:26 pm -I come from a culture long ago that embraced claiming at first and then turned against it when it started wrecking artfully constructed games.
u can still construct an artfully beautiful game that doesnt get broken by mass claiming u just gotta be big brain about it :nicenod:
not to deter u from doing ur thing of course, its ur games :nicenod:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Hally wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 pm i also honestly don’t get the point of no claim rules in a closed setup where there’s absolutely no gamebreaking potential whatsoever

like, everyone knew i was softing doc. i still got eliminated. it did absolutely nothing. anyone can soft anything as any alignment in a closed setup and it should be on town to figure out if it’s legit. it doesn’t make sense to me to ban claiming or hinting outright

Claiming the last power role when the other doctor isn't there to protect you would hand the baddies the keys to victory. They didn't kill you only because they hoped you might die from the virus. I didn't want the doctors outing themselves especially in this game because losing one of them right out of the gate would set the civvies back. It turned out that way anyway by natural course (night kill), but it could have been worse and the civvies could have been screwed from the very beginning.
My Banners:
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

G-Man wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:26 pm HOST NOTES:

-I think after 3p's and baddies winning the first three games of this series I intentionally set out to tilt the game a little to the civvies.

-I broke the pattern of having a 3p in the game, but still had my chaos role in the secret asymptomatic carrier. That was a role in my Chicka Chicka 1, 2,3 game that didn't get as much time to shine as I wanted. It's also slightly based off the Venomous Imp role from a Long Con/Black Rock game from days long ago. Amusing that he wound up with the role.

-Including the asymptomatic carrier led me to incorporate a second doctor role. I thought it provided some balance, as the civvies had to contend with the mafia and a virus threat that was statistically more likely to hit a civvie than a baddie.

-There were a total of 50 votes cast in the day polls during this game. Only 7 of them were cast for baddies.

-I really didn't know what to do with Hally when she all but outed herself as a power role and second doctor. There is subtlety and then there is what Hally did. Maybe I could have been more clear. When it was too late, I didn't feel as though I could rightfully modkill her. That would have eliminated the last power role, and the only role of significance left that could stand in the baddies way from steamrolling the game. In fact, had I modkilled her, it would have defaulted straight to a baddie victory. Had the civvies somehow come back to win, I'd have given the mafia a share of the victory, because they would have won without any mass hinting from Hally.

-I come from a culture long ago that embraced claiming at first and then turned against it when it started wrecking artfully constructed games. I am a dinosaur and a relic and I need to find a way forward with allowing claiming somehow.

-The civvies had two doctors and even received a gift in the accidental death of a baddie, and they still managed to lose the game.

-I actually pored over Google Maps for weeks plotting the literal escape route of Sidney Blumenthal and Chelsea Clinton from the end of Escape From Trump Tower through the end of this game.
The fake penthouse was in a warehouse in Perm, Russia. Sidney and Chelsea escaped on a westbound train to Kirov. From there, rail lines and highways exist between all the towns mentioned in this game. All cities and locations therein are real places, even the pizzeria across from the Golden Gate in Kiev.
i apologize for hinting so much and putting you in a difficult position. im really going to need to be more disciplined about no claim rules in the future. personally though, i think claiming should just be allowed in all games because it removes this issue entirely. and then setups can just be designed with that in mind so that it isn’t game breaking to allow them. or they can just be closed like this game. especially now with this site getting a lot of new off site people who come from places where claiming is the norm i feel like this could continue to be an issue, idk
G-Man
Made Man

Re: Escape From Russia [Day 5]

Post by G-Man »

nutella wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:50 pm omg you let trump win

cursed
Actually, I settled on this being the way the narrative element ended the series no matter whether the civvies won or lost. The narrative was always going to split the players from the non-player characters of Sidney and Chelsea. I thought of constructing a long elaborate epilogue, but it was much more satisfying to just kill them off no matter what and end the story on a dark note.
My Banners:
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

G-Man wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:30 pm
Hally wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:20 pm also like, what would have happened if i stayed silent and self protected? it would have been the same thing. everyone knew i was supposed to die and when i didn’t it would raise questions about me that i couldn’t answer and cause everyone to think i had some bad role that made me immune. regardless of if i hinted or not self protecting was basically self incriminating with a town doc already flipped but i had no choice. claiming or not claiming wouldn’t have made any difference and i honestly don’t get why it wasn’t allowed
I just didn't understand why you didn't self-protect on Night 3 and healed yourself then. You could have guessed at which Long Con voter to try to save Night 4 that way. It felt like an unforced error to me.

I was also surprised that you had no reaction whatsoever to finding out that there was another doctor role in the game. I was anticipating a questioning PM from you, but I got nothing of the sort.
i didn’t think i could self-heal a day before the poison took effect. thought it had to be the night i was going to die

also idk, why would i ask you? i knew what my role was. tutuu flipping just told me there was another
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Hally wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:36 pm
G-Man wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:26 pm HOST NOTES:

i apologize for hinting so much and putting you in a difficult position. im really going to need to be more disciplined about no claim rules in the future. personally though, i think claiming should just be allowed in all games because it removes this issue entirely. and then setups can just be designed with that in mind so that it isn’t game breaking to allow them. or they can just be closed like this game. especially now with this site getting a lot of new off site people who come from places where claiming is the norm i feel like this could continue to be an issue, idk
In the end, it's just a thing that happened. I need to evolve more on the issue.

I think that Heist games can fall out of balance faster when the power roles are exposed and eliminated. In larger, role madness games, I think claiming can be allowed. I'll just have to not get so attached to some of my zany roles.
My Banners:
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

G-Man wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:33 pm

Claiming the last power role when the other doctor isn't there to protect you would hand the baddies the keys to victory. They didn't kill you only because they hoped you might die from the virus. I didn't want the doctors outing themselves especially in this game because losing one of them right out of the gate would set the civvies back. It turned out that way anyway by natural course (night kill), but it could have been worse and the civvies could have been screwed from the very beginning.
idk imo as long as the game cannot be broken mechanically by a claim it should be up to the players to decide if they wanna screw themselves and risk claiming or not
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Hally wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:38 pm

i didn’t think i could self-heal a day before the poison took effect. thought it had to be the night i was going to die

also idk, why would i ask you? i knew what my role was. tutuu flipping just told me there was another
Perhaps I thought the infection was more clear-cut than it was interpreted by the players. Infection was immediate and curable the whole duration. No one asked the question, so I didn't think I needed to overexplain it.
My Banners:
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

ah i should have asked that
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 13
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Hally wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:38 pm

yeah, fwiw, from a spec perspective also having read your role card it also was not at all clear to me from the wording that you could cure it the night before. i realized that from something g said in chat and said that i hadn't realized it and i guess he assumed you would understand it

wording has to be clearrrrr
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 13
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

er rather having read lc's flip i guess is the relevant part
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

MORE HOST NOTES:

-[mention]DrWilgy[/mention] and [mention]Epignosis[/mention] played in all four of the games in this series. Neither of them were part of a winning faction. DrWilgy was a vanilla civvie in all four games.

-The role names all have some level of meaning. The baddies surnames were all surnames of former KGB agents.

-Three of the civvie role surnames were the surnames of Russian doctors who actually died by "falling" out of windows after speaking up about COVID-19 and Russia's dishonesty with the facts.

-The remaining civvie surnames were all taken from a list of Russian political prisoners I found online while building the game.
My Banners:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

nutella wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:48 pm er rather having read lc's flip i guess is the relevant part
Yeah, someday you all will get the hint that reading my end-of-phase posts is important. :p
My Banners:
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

anyway, thank you for the game gman. sorry for the trouble i caused. and to be clear, im not saying i didn’t enjoy the game because of the no claim thing or that i was right to do what i did or blaming you or anything. nothing like that. more just talking about for the future its probably better to get rid of the headache and just allow them. but it’s up to the hosts here what they want to do and i’ll have to be more disciplined in adhering to what you decide
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

One time I was playing in a Nanook game and my role did the exact opposite of what I thought it did
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

I claimed and everything and then I went to use my power and Nanook was like “no that’s not what I meant”
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

It was a big oops
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 522
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

TonyStarkPrime wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:55 pm Image
Wtf is this light theme
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TonyStarkPrime wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:08 am I claimed and everything and then I went to use my power and Nanook was like “no that’s not what I meant”
I’m still confused why you thought it would work that way
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DrWilgy
Posts in topic: 89

Post by DrWilgy »

Poison wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:02 pm
DrWilgy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:59 pm
TonyStarkPrime wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:54 pm Image
This is the quality I play mafia for
"Poison can do nothing wrong in my eyes"
It's true tho. Still pretty sure you were only scum after I was spoiled and thats it.
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
DrWilgy
Posts in topic: 89

Post by DrWilgy »

(And by that the truth is that I wasn't willing to spend the energy sorting you out with other lines of play still active. Not playing to the potentially self resolving line vs playing the lines that need to be forced quite accurately surmises my efforts in a game since there's only so much of me [because Im a slanker])
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
tedxtr
:wiz:
Posts in topic: 466
Location: some place where people retire from normals (maybe)
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by tedxtr »

wp wolves, tough game
ImageImageImageImage
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:51 am
TonyStarkPrime wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:08 am I claimed and everything and then I went to use my power and Nanook was like “no that’s not what I meant”
The words said “you may kill Steve” or whoever. They didn’t say I had to know who Steve was.
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

tedxtr wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:20 am wp wolves, tough game
ted wtf i asked if ur a survivor fan and u told me u dont watch it???
tedxtr
:wiz:
Posts in topic: 466
Location: some place where people retire from normals (maybe)
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by tedxtr »

tutuu wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:20 am
i didn't actually watch it

i just stumbled across a google drive with the villains vs heroes season lol

i am not joking when I'm saying euros don't have it, I need to make a CBS subscription or something

i mostly watched the immunity challenges on youtube and best moments from <insert random player>
ImageImageImageImage

TonyStarkPrime wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:30 am
The words said “you may kill Steve” or whoever. They didn’t say I had to know who Steve was.
Why would you just be able to kill someone without knowing who they are

What kind of a crappy role is that!
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

tedxtr wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:22 am
tutuu wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:20 am
i didn't actually watch it

i just stumbled across a google drive with the villains vs heroes season lol

i am not joking when I'm saying euros don't have it, I need to make a CBS subscription or something

i mostly watched the immunity challenges on youtube and best moments from <insert random player>
ok sorry for accusing u of being a liar ur not a liar im just dumb :(

Now that this game is over we need four more for mine: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1946

#shamelessplug
Vulgard
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 398
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His/Himself

Post by Vulgard »

GG WP
ImageImageImage
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 325

Post by 112 »

gg
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 305
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Great game, Ash and Poison! And Tony, of course, RIP. :feb:
TonyStarkPrime wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:54 pm Image
Nominated for Funniest Post Socky.
nutella wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:03 pm Spoiled chat was mostly just being in awe at the sheer number of posts from townies that were literally clearing exactly the wolves and nobody else lol
Guilty as charged.
Ash Lael wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:08 pmThen I asked him if he wanted me to back off and he was like “no, go harder”.
This is getting steamy...
We never intended for him to actually die lol.
:faint:
Poison wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:18 pm
TonyStarkPrime wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:09 pm Poison played a great meta shattering game, Ash played a comically hard bus on someone who didn't even flip. Doesn't ever really look teamed. This was a hard game.
I mean I'm not taking another "disrespect read" from anybody. Tbh, It was really humiliating to survive in F3 in the champs only because of my meta and losing town the game at the end. Sigh. Had to change the play at some point.
Yeah... that was about believing you were far out of your wolf range, right? Guess you busted that myth.
tutuu wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:22 pm
Hally wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:20 pm honestly don’t get why it wasn’t allowed
from what ive heard its a cultural / nostalgic thing for the syndicate (or maybe before the syndicate? people from lostpedia? dunno)

personally i also dislike it, i disliked it in radiohead too, i think there are more modern and better solutions

the future is now, old man
Spider-verse... role madness with soup kill to shut everyone up about it. :srsnod:
TonyStarkPrime wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:30 am
I believe I was "Steve"... :feb:

Return to “Previous Heists”