Travel Thread

Kick back and relax by discussing anything unrelated to mafia at The Syndicate's Speakeasy.

Moderator: Community Team

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Travel Thread

Post by Epignosis »

juliets wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:08 pm
Epignosis wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:53 am
juliets wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:00 am
Epignosis wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:52 pm No matter where you go or what you do, it should always feel wonderful to be home.
Epi, I want a trip report on the vacation! Did you go to the Great Wolf Lodge again? How was white water rafting? The Moog museum? The wedding?
Yes.

One was full of wetness
One gave me a bruise
One had me singing prog rock
One cost me my shoes
Ok so lets see:

the Great Wolf was wetness?
the white water rafting cost you your shoes?
the Moog museum had you singing Prog?
but then that leaves you with a bruise at the wedding.
Maybe the wedding cost you your shoes
and the bruise was from white water rafting
or maybe I got all of them wrong!
Sounds like a good time!
Good guesses!

The bruise was from GWL.
The loss of my shoes was from getting stuck in the river and having to get out of the raft to pull us back into deeper water.
The wedding featured two pieces that have been covered by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.
The Moog museum was full of wetness: In audio, a dry signal is one without effects, while a wet signal applies effects- Moog products add all kinds of effects, hence "full of wetness." :D
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by G-Man »

I'm going to do this little by little. It's too hard to sift through all the pictures again and write up even the basics from each day, so here's Volume 1 of my cruise story:

DAY 1- Getting There

On Sunday, June 24th, my wife and I woke up at 3:00 a.m. to get ready for our journey. This was the first time either of us were on a cruise and it was my first time out of the country. It was also my first time on an airplane since I was a baby. My wife, Jen, has been to three continents. I've been to Pittsburgh, New York City, New Jersey, and the Outer Banks. Getting up at 3:00 sucked but we were too excited about the week ahead to even notice.

We packed our bags two nights prior, so on Saturday the 23rd, we sat around the house all day after my parents picked up the girls. It was weird and almost felt wrong to spend that much downtime without the kids. Sunday morning, we thought we would eat breakfast that morning but we opted for a small glass each of the last of the orange juice. We successfully emptied our fridge of anything that might spoil while we were gone.

Everything flowed smoothly on the way to and into the airport. We had a 6:00 a.m. flight out of Harrisburg International Airport. That flight was supposed to take us to Philadelphia for an 8:00 flight to San Juan. We didn't mind eating light throughout the morning (we took a few snacks along), because we would get to San Juan just after lunch time.

Or so we thought.

We got to the airport before dawn and parked in the long-term parking lot. By a stroke of luck, we parked a few spaces into the lot and right next to one of the shuttle stops. As I pulled our luggage out of the back of our car, the shuttle rounded the corner and picked us up. At 4:30 in the morning, the airport is pretty dead. We checked our bags at the American Airlines desk and got through TSA with only a five-minute wait. We were ahead of schedule.

Once we settled down in the terminal, we split a pack of Pop-Tarts (wild berry flavor) and sat around. We could have slept an hour more and still gotten to the airport before any crowds arrived. Gradually, the terminal filled up. Around 5:15, the display by our departure gate switched from "On Time" to "Delayed." It took half an hour for us to learn that Philadelphia International Airport had fog issues. Our flight in Philly had been pushed back from an 8:00 departure to an 8:20 departure.

Long story short, our 6:00 flight didn't start boarding until 7:30. Our plane didn't take off until 7:45 a.m. but the American Airlines staff said it was a short flight and we should still make the connection. As fate should have it, my wife prefers aisle seats and I prefer window seats, which allowed me to take this right after takeoff:

That, my friends, is Three Mile Island Nuclear Generation Station. I've lived near it all my life. I even took a field trip there in 5th grade. They're decommissioning it next year.

We landed at Philly around 8:05. Our plane was tiny. This isn't my picture, but our plane's interior was identical.
Spoiler: show
Because we had a connecting flight, we were let off first and ushered to a shuttle that took us from Terminal F to Terminal A-East:

Except that our flight was taking off from the very end of Terminal A-West. After sprinting down Terminal A-West, we learned that we missed our flight by five minutes. Really, though, we missed our flight by 15 minutes, because they close the doors and stop boarding 10 minutes before takeoff.

We were upset but determined. Nobody was at the 10-computer station wide international desk (?!?) so we ran back up Terminal A-West until we found a gate with an employee present. They told us to go to the Special Services Desk. We ran a little further up A-West until we found it. There was one person working the desk and whomever they were helping took forever. We knew from Harrisburg that there was a flight from Philly to Charlotte scheduled for 8:40 that connected to a flight to San Juan. That was the backup plan.

It was 8:30 a.m. when we approached the desk. The American Airlines employee looked and said she had good news for us- she had a direct flight from Philly to San Juan. Great! She said we'd be in San Juan by 10:00 that night. We had to be on the boat by 8. We asked about the flight to Charlotte. She said we were in luck. It was delayed due to a pilot change. It was scheduled to leave at 8:50, which gave us less than 10 minutes to high-tail it to the tip of Terminal A-East.

We get to the gate. Nobody is boarding the plane and the terminal is empty save for two AA employees at the terminal desk. We beg and plead to get on the plane. We were in luck- the replacement pilot hadn't shown up yet but they weren't letting anyone else on until the pilot showed up. The Special Services Desk didn't actually print us tickets, so the gate employees fumble through printing our tickets from Philly to Charlotte and from Charlotte to San Juan on their end. My tickets looked right but Jen's ticket for Charlotte to San Juan didn't have a seat number on it. Folks, we came 10 minutes shy of being 'that couple on YouTube sobbing in the middle of the airport.'

The pilot shows up and we get on board. We're not sitting together but we're right across the aisle from each other. I sat next to a nice young woman who was on her way to Air Force boot camp in Alabama. She's going into the service for a few years as a base medic in order to get Uncle Sam to pay for the rest of her med school.

The whole way to Charlotte, my wife and I share nervous looks. As first-world-problems as it may sound, we prayed to make our flight to San Juan. It was going to be a narrow window, our connecting flight was scheduled for take off 20 minutes after we were scheduled to land. Things finally turned our way when the pilot announced that, because 80% of the passengers on our flight had connecting flights in Charlotte scheduled to depart not long after we landed, he got permission to alter the flight path and got us there with 30 minutes to spare instead of 20.

In Charlotte Douglas International Airport, I checked the American website. Our bags made the flight to Charlotte with us. Good news. We still had to run from one terminal to another one two or three terminals over. We were pretty far back in line but the flight was only partway through boarding. While I waited with our bags, my wife went up to ask about her ticket and what the lack of a seat number meant. I was worried it meant she didn't have a guaranteed seat and that she might not make the flight. I was both right and wrong.

Jen came back from the gate desk and told me that her seatless ticket did mean she was going to get whatever seat was left on the flight but she did snag a seat. I was going to be in Row 29 (coach). Because of her ticket, she got comped to Row 1 of First Class. :faint:

While my wife got pampered at the front of the plane, (free in-flight meal, leg room to stretch out, and a warm cookie) I sat next to two reasonably well-behaved tween/teens on their way to a mission trip in Puerto Rico and ate the remaining pack of Wild Berry Pop-Tarts along with a complimentary packet of airplane cookies. So, while my wife had a proper lunch, all I had to eat all day until dinner time was three Pop-Tarts, airplane cookies, a granola bar, and a small glass of orange juice.

But we got to San Juan! We got to the cruise terminal four hours after we planned to, but we got on the boat! In all the excitement, we didn't take any pictures at the San Juan airport or of the exterior of the boat in port. But here we are on the boat after eating some dinner, a shot of the grand atrium in the middle of the ship, and San Juan at night as we set sail!

To be continued...
Last edited by G-Man on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Oh my god what a roller coaster of a story. :haha: Getting to Taiwan was relatively a piece of cake, lmao -- there was a bit of a snag, in that we happened to be going through Vancouver so had an extra border to deal with and it was a pretty tight connection, and in the international terminal between flights they asked us for our passports and boarding passes but unexpectedly also the previous boarding pass for the flight into Canada, and my boyfriend had left the paper copy on the plane and luckily I'd sent him the mobile version and he had to fumble to get airport wifi and pull it up while in line :p But it worked out and we made it to our connection. And coming back we got to do US customs in Canada, lol. But yeah, not nearly as frantic as your journey sounds, wow. Glad you made it after all that xD
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Quin »

G-Man wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm I'm going to do this little by little. It's too hard to sift through all the pictures again and write up even the basics from each day, so here's Volume 1 of my cruise story:

DAY 1- Getting There

On Sunday, June 24th, my wife and I woke up at 3:00 a.m. to get ready for our journey. This was the first time either of us were on a cruise and it was my first time out of the country. It was also my first time on an airplane since I was a baby. My wife, Jen, has been to three continents. I've been to Pittsburgh, New York City, New Jersey, and the Outer Banks. Getting up at 3:00 sucked but we were too excited about the week ahead to even notice.

We packed our bags two nights prior, so on Saturday the 23rd, we sat around the house all day after my parents picked up the girls. It was weird and almost felt wrong to spend that much downtime without the kids. Sunday morning, we thought we would eat breakfast that morning but we opted for a small glass each of the last of the orange juice. We successfully emptied our fridge of anything that might spoil while we were gone.

Everything flowed smoothly on the way to and into the airport. We had a 6:00 a.m. flight out of Harrisburg International Airport. That flight was supposed to take us to Philadelphia for an 8:00 flight to San Juan. We didn't mind eating light throughout the morning (we took a few snacks along), because we would get to San Juan just after lunch time.

Or so we thought.

We got to the airport before dawn and parked in the long-term parking lot. By a stroke of luck, we parked a few spaces into the lot and right next to one of the shuttle stops. As I pulled our luggage out of the back of our car, the shuttle rounded the corner and picked us up. At 4:30 in the morning, the airport is pretty dead. We checked our bags at the American Airlines desk and got through TSA with only a five-minute wait. We were ahead of schedule.

Once we settled down in the terminal, we split a pack of Pop-Tarts (wild berry flavor) and sat around. We could have slept an hour more and still gotten to the airport before any crowds arrived. Gradually, the terminal filled up. Around 5:15, the display by our departure gate switched from "On Time" to "Delayed." It took half an hour for us to learn that Philadelphia International Airport had fog issues. Our flight in Philly had been pushed back from an 8:00 departure to an 8:20 departure.

Long story short, our 6:00 flight didn't start boarding until 7:30. Our plane didn't take off until 7:45 a.m. but the American Airlines staff said it was a short flight and we should still make the connection. As fate should have it, my wife prefers aisle seats and I prefer window seats, which allowed me to take this right after takeoff:

That, my friends, is Three Mile Island Nuclear Generation Station. I've lived near it all my life. I even took a field trip there in 5th grade. They're decommissioning it next year.

We landed at Philly around 8:05. Our plane was tiny. This isn't my picture, but our plane's interior was identical.
Because we had a connecting flight, we were let off first and ushered to a shuttle that took us from Terminal F to Terminal A-East:

Except that our flight was taking off from the very end of Terminal A-West. After sprinting down Terminal A-West, we learned that we missed our flight by five minutes. Really, though, we missed our flight by 15 minutes, because they close the doors and stop boarding 10 minutes before takeoff.

We were upset but determined. Nobody was at the 10-computer station wide international desk (?!?) so we ran back up Terminal A-West until we found a gate with an employee present. They told us to go to the Special Services Desk. We ran a little further up A-West until we found it. There was one person working the desk and whomever they were helping took forever. We knew from Harrisburg that there was a flight from Philly to Charlotte scheduled for 8:40 that connected to a flight to San Juan. That was the backup plan.

It was 8:30 a.m. when we approached the desk. The American Airlines employee looked and said she had good news for us- she had a direct flight from Philly to San Juan. Great! She said we'd be in San Juan by 10:00 that night. We had to be on the boat by 8. We asked about the flight to Charlotte. She said we were in luck. It was delayed due to a pilot change. It was scheduled to leave at 8:50, which gave us less than 10 minutes to high-tail it to the tip of Terminal A-East.

We get to the gate. Nobody is boarding the plane and the terminal is empty save for two AA employees at the terminal desk. We beg and plead to get on the plane. We were in luck- the replacement pilot hadn't shown up yet but they weren't letting anyone else on until the pilot showed up. The Special Services Desk didn't actually print us tickets, so the gate employees fumble through printing our tickets from Philly to Charlotte and from Charlotte to San Juan on their end. My tickets looked right but Jen's ticket for Charlotte to San Juan didn't have a seat number on it. Folks, we came 10 minutes shy of being 'that couple on YouTube sobbing in the middle of the airport.'

The pilot shows up and we get on board. We're not sitting together but we're right across the aisle from each other. I sat next to a nice young woman who was on her way to Air Force boot camp in Alabama. She's going into the service for a few years as a base medic in order to get Uncle Sam to pay for the rest of her med school.

The whole way to Charlotte, my wife and I share nervous looks. As first-world-problems as it may sound, we prayed to make our flight to San Juan. It was going to be a narrow window, our connecting flight was scheduled for take off 20 minutes after we were scheduled to land. Things finally turned our way when the pilot announced that, because 80% of the passengers on our flight had connecting flights in Charlotte scheduled to depart not long after we landed, he got permission to alter the flight path and got us there with 30 minutes to spare instead of 20.

In Charlotte Douglas International Airport, I checked the American website. Our bags made the flight to Charlotte with us. Good news. We still had to run from one terminal to another one two or three terminals over. We were pretty far back in line but the flight was only partway through boarding. While I waited with our bags, my wife went up to ask about her ticket and what the lack of a seat number meant. I was worried it meant she didn't have a guaranteed seat and that she might not make the flight. I was both right and wrong.

Jen came back from the gate desk and told me that her seatless ticket did mean she was going to get whatever seat was left on the flight but she did snag a seat. I was going to be in Row 29 (coach). Because of her ticket, she got comped to Row 1 of First Class. :faint:

While my wife got pampered at the front of the plane, (free in-flight meal, leg room to stretch out, and a warm cookie) I sat next to two reasonably well-behaved tween/teens on their way to a mission trip in Puerto Rico and ate the remaining pack of Wild Berry Pop-Tarts along with a complimentary packet of airplane cookies. So, while my wife had a proper lunch, all I had to eat all day until dinner time was three Pop-Tarts, airplane cookies, a granola bar, and a small glass of orange juice.

But we got to San Juan! We got to the cruise terminal four hours after we planned to, but we got on the boat! In all the excitement, we didn't take any pictures at the San Juan airport or of the exterior of the boat in port. But here we are on the boat after eating some dinner, a shot of the grand atrium in the middle of the ship, and San Juan at night as we set sail!

To be continued...
I already read the gist of this in the discord a while back but the storytelling here makes it :haha:
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

here's a plane horror story that didn't happen to me, but my aunt:

My aunt and one of her kids booked a flight for Thailand last year and got ready and sorted like, days in advance. Their flight was scheduled to leave at 12:05 so they show up before noon only to be told their flight was 12:05 AM not 12:05 PM. They'd missed their flight by a whole 12 hours and had to borrow money from her parents just to get there in the end.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 22
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm going to southern Ontario in a couple weeks. Thank goodness. Get me out of this country.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 16
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:15 am I'm going to southern Ontario in a couple weeks. Thank goodness. Get me out of this country.
When and where exactly? :huh:
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 22
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:28 pm
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:15 am I'm going to southern Ontario in a couple weeks. Thank goodness. Get me out of this country.
Some little place called Harrow starting August 3rd.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 16
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:00 pm
Sloonei wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:28 pm
Some little place called Harrow starting August 3rd.
Neither the time nor the area that I'll be around, never mind then!
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Day 2- St. Thomas

They called it an eight-day cruise but that's total fluff, because Day 1 you get on the boat and don't do much, and Day 8 they kick you off the boat right after breakfast. So this is really the first true day of the cruise. St. Thomas was the only island where we had two excursions planned. We had to be on the pier for our first excursion by 8:30, so we had a light, continental breakfast delivered to our stateroom. While that may sound fancy, it was just a bowl of cereal, a muffin, and some juice for each of us.

Obligatory tourist photo #1:

Our boat- the Carnival Fascination. It looked big at first but it's amazing how small it felt by the end of the week. And I don't mean small in a bad way. It's not a ship you're going to get lost on but it still has lots of unique spaces on board. This is one of the oldest ships in the Carnival fleet but I thought it was just the right size for us.
Our morning excursion was parasailing. There were about 10 other people on the boat with us. Even though we went early in the day, it wasn't too cool. The sun was warm and the breeze from the boat zipping around was peaceful. One of the people in our excursion group got nauseous but she didn't throw up. I can't blame her. When the boat was going fast, we bounced around a good bit.

Jen and I went next to last in our group, which was nice. We got to watch other people go and that helped build anticipation. I might have gotten bored if I went first and had to watch everyone else go before we headed back to the pier. We asked one of our groupmates to take a few snaps while we were in the air. The excursion guides' prices for pictures was more than I brought along in my pocket and $40 for an SD card with 20 pics on it isn't a bargain. I understand that it's how they make money but I'm cheap.

That's us up in the air. They have it down to a science. We took off from a sitting position on the back of the boat and they brought us back down to the same spot. They only time we touched the water was when they gave us a little dip at the end of our run. It was quiet up in the air. We couldn't see much more of the island than when we were down on the boat but it was peaceful and lovely.

We got back to the cruise ship with plenty of time to grab a quick lunch. They have a 24-hour pizza bar in the cafeteria, so Jen and I split a small pizza, grabbed a few extra things and headed of for excursion #2- underwater scooters! My parents did this excursion when they were in St. Thomas and recommended it.

We bought underwater cameras (they still make disposable film cameras!) so we could take some pictures below the surface. Most of our pictures look lousy. Perhaps I've forgotten what disposable film camera photos look like, but some of our pictures are so poor that they look like they're from the 1970s. Here are the best shots:
This is probably the best shot of one of the scooters. They have a buoy-float attached to it, so you're never more than 8 feet below the surface. Getting into the diving bell headpiece was awkward but I had to do it one-handed, as I was clutching my glasses in one hand through the process. The scooters don't go very fast and there was a trio of divers swimming around us to make sure no one wandered off.

I love how tiny our heads look through the diving bell glass. Shrunken head people! Another amusing but scary thing that happened was that I left the Ziploc bag with our tip/souvenir money in my pocket through the whole scooter experience. Waterproof seals leak. The excursion leaders ended up with a generous but soggy tip at the end of the afternoon. I had to leave the rest of the money laying out in our stateroom to dry out that evening. It looked like we were drug dealers or something.

There were about 30 people on this excursion, and they did half of us at a time in the scooters. We were in the first group. When we got back on the boat, we had time to snorkel while the second group went down. My wife snapped this photo of me trying to play paparazzi on some colorful fish. Alas, the underwater camera thwarted me.

We went back to the boat, swapped out the wet money for dry money, and walked around a mall complex just off the pier. We found a few small things and it was a nice, pleasant way to wind down the afternoon.

Obligatory tourist photo #2:

When we returned to he boat to wash up before dinner, we found our first towel animal waiting for us. The room stewards know how to make dozens of different towel animals, so it was fun to see which one we got each day. Our first towel critter is ominous in retrospect. More on that in another post.

Before dinner, there was a Dr. Seuss parade and story time for the kids. I'm married to a kindergarten teacher, so of course we went to it. I'm a big kid at heart, so it was fun for me too. At the sail-away party in San Juan, our cruise director told us that if we took a selfie with him anytime during the week and showed it to him on the last night of the cruise, we would get a prize. My wife knows I'm a sucker for freebies, so she suggested we take a selfie with the cruise director at the Dr. Seuss event:
If you go on a Carnival cruise and this guy, MarQ, is your cruise director, you are in for a fun time. He was a blast.

Dinner was good. I think I had veal. Mmm, veal. We went to a Hasbro: The Game Show even that night and I almost got picked to go up on stage. It was a cute game show and a boy no older than eight or nine won the grand prize of about $500 in Hasbro games and merchandise. Bingo was after that. Not being gamblers, Jen and I passed on bingo and wandered around the boat a little before calling it a night. We had another early excursion the next day.

Overall, St. Thomas might have been my favorite of the islands just for the fact that it was so peaceful and relaxing. It more than made up for all the drama we went through the day before.

To be continued...
My Banners:
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 14
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

G-Man I'm enjoying your adventures, can't wait to see the next chapter. I've never cruised, I've had the idea I wouldn't like it so I'm interested in all your tidbits.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

juliets wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:08 am G-Man I'm enjoying your adventures, can't wait to see the next chapter. I've never cruised, I've had the idea I wouldn't like it so I'm interested in all your tidbits.
What about cruising do you think you wouldn’t like? There are pros and cons that we experienced but far more pros than cons. The big issue is whether or not you get motion sickness. Dramamine can help. My dad needs it but neither my wife nor I felt sick.

I’ll try to post the next day tomorrow. Life is very busy right now.
My Banners:
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

G-Man wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:31 pm
juliets wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:08 am G-Man I'm enjoying your adventures, can't wait to see the next chapter. I've never cruised, I've had the idea I wouldn't like it so I'm interested in all your tidbits.
What about cruising do you think you wouldn’t like? There are pros and cons that we experienced but far more pros than cons. The big issue is whether or not you get motion sickness. Dramamine can help. My dad needs it but neither my wife nor I felt sick.

I've cruised on carnival before, it was the Spirit though. I can't say much for their health and safety procedures.

They set tables up next to open windows with no bars and the top decks aren't fitted with anti-slip rugs or anything so people are falling over everywhere. When I went in February an elderly man broke his leg on the second day and spent the entire cruise in a wheelchair. You had to practically waddle everywhere up there.
ImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Quin wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:52 pm

I've cruised on carnival before, it was the Spirit though. I can't say much for their health and safety procedures.

They set tables up next to open windows with no bars and the top decks aren't fitted with anti-slip rugs or anything so people are falling over everywhere. When I went in February an elderly man broke his leg on the second day and spent the entire cruise in a wheelchair. You had to practically waddle everywhere up there.
:huh:

Wow, we didn’t notice any dangerous table arrangements on our boat. The most awkward and potentially dangerous thing we experienced (besides a hungry stingray) was walking down the stairs when the boat was lilting hard.
My Banners:
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Epignosis »

I can't wait to go on our third cruise. It'll be awhile though. Priorities and all. I'm glad you're having an adventure G. That looks sick. I'll admit that when I'm on a cruise, I don't even like to get off the boat. There's so much to do there, and no I would not like you to braid my hair.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 14
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Mostly I just don't know if I would like being confined to a boat except for guided tours. We are generally independent travelers when we visit places. I guess if the boat was big enough I wouldn't feel confined. I'm also not real sure about the on boat activities and whether I would like them. I'm still considering though - maybe a Viking river cruise in Europe.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Day 3- Antigua

This was our earliest wake-up call. Our excursion left at 8:15 a.m., so we ordered a light breakfast to our room again. Antigua was the only island where there was another ship in port:
Our ship, the Carnival Fascination, is on the left. A newer and larger Royal Caribbean ship is on the right. Our boat could hold 2,000 people if all the rooms had two occupants. Our boat also boasted a crew of 900+ people! I don't know how many other passengers were on board but it never seemed like there were 2,000 people on board.

Our excursion on Antigua was called Stingray Sensation. Our driver to the stingray base was awesome and pointed out things when people weren't asking questions. He wasn't just a scripted guide- he really knew his island well.

After two small, quiet excursions on St. Thomas, Antigua was a shock. With the other boat in port, there were about 100 people crammed into the singray base. We headed out by boats to the sandbar. We had some pictures left to take on our underwater cameras but with everyone kicking up sand, most of the pics were lousy. We got to hold a stingray and my wife tried to feed one.

When my wife was getting ready to feed a stingray approaching from the right, another one swooped in from the left and CHOMP!
It somehow managed to bite both sides of two of her fingers. Jen got a makeshift bandage on the dock and we cleaned it up when we got back to the boat. It took a decent chunk out of one finger but Jen didn't need any stitches. We had to get creative with the band-aids the rest of the week, trying to cover up both sides of two fingers. Always pack more of those than you think you'll need! I'm glad we did.

There wasn't a good shopping complex right next to the port, so we spent the rest of the day on the ship. We left port at 3:00 for the next island, so there wasn't a lot of time to check out the town anyway.
Obligatory tourist photo #3.

This little guy was waiting for us in our room.

Before lunch, we hit the water slide on the boat. After lunch, there was a Towel Animal Theater show for the kids, so of course Jen and I attended. It was cute, and there was a short towel animal class afterwards. My dog had a better body but my wife's dog's head came out much nicer than mine.
Jen's on the left, mine on the right.

We played some mini-golf, hit the Serenity Deck (no kids and very quiet), and wandered around the boat. The water on all the islands was great but Antigua's was especially beautiful.

Tuesday was the first elegant night, when formal dress was required at our dining hall. It was fun to play a little dress-up for a night. We told our waiter that we were celebrating our anniversary a few weeks early, and they brought out a small cake and sang to us! It seemed like every night at least five people got sung to for a birthday, and three or four got the anniversary treatment. There were even a few recent graduates who were sung to.

We went to the evening show (a Diva tune montage) and called it a night.

To be continued...
My Banners:

Return to “The Speakeasy”