I Got 99 Problems....

Kick back and relax by discussing anything unrelated to mafia at The Syndicate's Speakeasy.

Moderator: Community Team

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 60

Re: I Got 99 Problems....

Post by Epignosis »

I'm so tired. I didn't even get a lunch break today.

For those who don't know, one of our teachers is on medical leave and only I and one other lady stepped up to take her classes. We get no planning time and still have to put grades in on time (and English requires reading and assessing students' written work).

Today was benchmark testing, and I could have fallen asleep at my desk.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 14

Post by ColinIsCool »

Sunday evening: key breaks in new apartment’s lock, roommate out of town, rental company not responding to calls to the emergency after hours line, locksmith called. Waiting to hear back abut how the rental company is going to (not) reimburse me for the $230 locksmith expense.

Wednesday overnight: car broken into in parking lot behind my building, stealing some change (which was not visible) and forcing me to waste half a day/borrow PTO at a job I just started 3 weeks ago

This morning: CEO concerned that a disgruntled job applicant is going to show up at the office, possibly a security threat

I needed to move and to experience new things but, uh, I didn’t have these things in mind
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Oh nooooo that's awful. Cool to hear you're on new adventures but sucks that it's that stressful so far. :( Hope it all resolves. Those events are not fun.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

It is sort of fun imagining what’s going to happen to me next, at least.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 34

Post by G-Man »

I am now unemployed. I'll provide more details over the weekend.

In the long run, this is a good thing. In the short term, it is a major blow to my pride and self-worth.

I received a very generous severance package, though, so don't you worry about little ole G.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Been there, and my severance sucked. I know you are resourceful and intelligent, and you have a great love for your family. Those three things will serve you in this time.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 20

Post by dunya »

good luck, G-Man, hope you find a solution quickly. :)
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 12
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

I just spent the evening going over financial aid options for completing my payment of the rest of my time at grad school. I had not looked at the total bill for next semester yet. It is... significantly higher than I anticipated. I'm questioning whether it's worth it, but I'm also about 80% done with the actual work involved in completing the degree. I'll be making student loan payments for a long time.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 31
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

[mention]Sloonei[/mention] so sorry to hear its so much more next semester. Education at that level is outrageously expensive, and every time I talk to some one in uni in a European country I get depressed that it has to be that way here.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Thanks. Now that 24 hours have passed I'm less freaked out by the number and my loan is submitted. Once I have my degree I'll have access to all the professional opportunities that I'd been restricted from before, and that makes the monthly installments I have to pay seem less daunting.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

We could set up a crowdfund to help you out!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

The Syndicate Scholarship
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sloonei wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:40 pm The Syndicate Scholarship
Sounds crazy, but I like the ring of that.

Young mafia players who demonstrate their skill here could actually be awarded a scholarship.

I would contribute to that.
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

I’ll contribute to half an order of wings at Duff’s in Sloonei’s honor. :beer:
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

ColinIsCool wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:45 pm I’ll contribute to half an order of wings at Duff’s in Sloonei’s honor. :beer:
:hugs:

i haven't actually been to any of the big wing places since i moved out here. i need to immerse myself.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:59 pm
ColinIsCool wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:45 pm I’ll contribute to half an order of wings at Duff’s in Sloonei’s honor. :beer:
:hugs:

i haven't actually been to any of the big wing places since i moved out here. i need to immerse myself.
Gabriel’s Gate in Allentown is very good. I had La Nova for the first time recently and was impressed. And Duff’s is good. There are a ton on my list too though.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I will most likely hit up Duff's at some point. They're everywhere. I'm failing as a Buffalo resident so far.

In other news, I relaxed even more when I realized that my payments on this latest loan aren't going to be much bigger than the car loan that I finished paying off a couple years ago. If I could afford that along with my other bills while working a hair above minimum wage, I don't need to feel panicked about this thing.

of course i'll be paying this one off at least twice as long as the car loan, but that's whatever. and i'll also need a new car eventually. maybe they'll all be self-driving by then. i've got that to look forward to.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

I haven’t been around much because I’ve had to devote my energy to finding a new job after quitting mine about 2 weeks ago. My last day was Wednesday and while I am posting in the misery thread the real problem was taking the job in the first place.

Suffice to say it was not for me and this was extremely apparent by only a few months in. Most of the time my work felt pointless and/or unethical, and my bosses were a bit of a nightmare. A lot of the time it felt like we were playing work instead of actually working. The reasons I took the job turned out to be fairy dust.

At any rate, there’s no reason to wake up every morning with dread consuming you if you can avoid it, so I quit. I was unemployed for a stretch when I was just out of school (when I started playing here) and it was a very difficult time for me, for a few reasons. I told myself when that ended I would never do it again ... well, this new job was even worse than whatever I went through not having one.

Honestly, I feel pretty good about it all. I’m going to end up dipping into my savings either a little or a lot but that’s what they’re there for. Realistically I think I might have an offer by this week or next, but even if I don’t, things will work out eventually! It’s more of an opportunity than it is a problem, as corny as that sounds. (And maybe I’ll have some extra time to play Mafia. :slick: )
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

ColinIsCool wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:16 am I haven’t been around much because I’ve had to devote my energy to finding a new job after quitting mine about 2 weeks ago. My last day was Wednesday and while I am posting in the misery thread the real problem was taking the job in the first place.

Suffice to say it was not for me and this was extremely apparent by only a few months in. Most of the time my work felt pointless and/or unethical, and my bosses were a bit of a nightmare. A lot of the time it felt like we were playing work instead of actually working. The reasons I took the job turned out to be fairy dust.

At any rate, there’s no reason to wake up every morning with dread consuming you if you can avoid it, so I quit. I was unemployed for a stretch when I was just out of school (when I started playing here) and it was a very difficult time for me, for a few reasons. I told myself when that ended I would never do it again ... well, this new job was even worse than whatever I went through not having one.

Honestly, I feel pretty good about it all. I’m going to end up dipping into my savings either a little or a lot but that’s what they’re there for. Realistically I think I might have an offer by this week or next, but even if I don’t, things will work out eventually! It’s more of an opportunity than it is a problem, as corny as that sounds. (And maybe I’ll have some extra time to play Mafia. :slick: )
Losing my job in aught eight was a devastating experience, but we already had one child and had another on the way.

If you are young and single with no dependents and you aren't risking homelessness, then yes, look for something more worth your while.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

ColinIsCool wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:16 am I haven’t been around much because I’ve had to devote my energy to finding a new job after quitting mine about 2 weeks ago. My last day was Wednesday and while I am posting in the misery thread the real problem was taking the job in the first place.

You were right to leave a soul-sucking job. I feel sure you will find something quickly, unemployment is extremely low right now, employers are looking for good people.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

As someone who couldn’t muster the nerve to quit a frustrating job, good for you. Best of luck finding something that is a better fit for you.

I actually wrote a paper while working on my second degree about employer-employee fit. I chose the topic to help me figure out why I couldn’t be content with other jobs I had worked before going back to school, and it changed my perspective a lot.
My Banners:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

My cousin is under self-quarantine for Coronavirus. Her roommate’s girlfriend was in contact with it a week ago at a convention in New Orleans. She’s young and healthy though, so hopefully she’s going to have a mild case of it if at all.
My Banners:
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

my city is a fucking hotbed of fascist bullshit and i cannot bring myself to fucking care about anything

i'm burying myself in mafia to an unhealthy extent because i can't deal with sparing a single second to think about the fucking real world.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

nutella wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:29 am my city is a fucking hotbed of fascist bullshit and i cannot bring myself to fucking care about anything

i'm burying myself in mafia to an unhealthy extent because i can't deal with sparing a single second to think about the fucking real world.
I think about you every time I see something about those atrocious actions by whoever they are, the secret police. And I wonder how could this happen in Portland of all places. Last place I would expect to see something like this. Hang in there and yes, play mafia if it gets your mind off of it.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 11
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

nutella wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:29 am my city is a fucking hotbed of fascist bullshit and i cannot bring myself to fucking care about anything

What a mood.
reywaS
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 4

Post by reywaS »

we love you! :)
Some day, Some day
Some day I'll, I wanna wear a starry crown
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I suppose I'm a bit late on posting about this because (in the past especially) I tend to want to try to resolve my emotions before posting about them publicly, but... I had a particularly rough time the last few days even mustering up the strength to look at myself in the mirror or go outside for even a minute. Coming out as trans has been an incredible feeling and process for me so far over the past handful of weeks or so, but inherent in the revelation is an underlying assumption that I'm unhappy with how I am and look right now (and have been my whole life).

I'm back to feeling good and optimistic, but waves of emotions I'm sure will continue to be a thing.
Hally
alien shapeshifter
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: they/them

Post by Hally »

M Plus 7 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:20 am I suppose I'm a bit late on posting about this because (in the past especially) I tend to want to try to resolve my emotions before posting about them publicly, but... I had a particularly rough time the last few days even mustering up the strength to look at myself in the mirror or go outside for even a minute. Coming out as trans has been an incredible feeling and process for me so far over the past handful of weeks or so, but inherent in the revelation is an underlying assumption that I'm unhappy with how I am and look right now (and have been my whole life).

I'm back to feeling good and optimistic, but waves of emotions I'm sure will continue to be a thing.
it’s hard but it’s worth it. i’m really happy for you and i hope all goes well :hugs:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image ImageImage
Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by Alison »

M Plus 7 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:20 am I suppose I'm a bit late on posting about this because (in the past especially) I tend to want to try to resolve my emotions before posting about them publicly, but... I had a particularly rough time the last few days even mustering up the strength to look at myself in the mirror or go outside for even a minute. Coming out as trans has been an incredible feeling and process for me so far over the past handful of weeks or so, but inherent in the revelation is an underlying assumption that I'm unhappy with how I am and look right now (and have been my whole life).

FWIW, it is something that will get better. I was really upset about my appearance when I first came out but through small steps to improve my appearance, I became more and more comfortable with myself.
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I appreciate the sentiments... which feels like an inadequate expression but I wanted it to be said.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 21
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

This is pretty unexpected, but all my support to you, my friend. I hope your life only continues to get happier from now on.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 21
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Well it means we get more of you, so that's a silver lining!

But I feel ya. In the past few years my ability to care about my own country has slowly degenerated.

It will get better. The world always gets better in the long term. It just sucks that the march is so slow.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:18 pm This is pretty unexpected, but all my support to you, my friend. I hope your life only continues to get happier from now on.
Thanks DDL, I value this a lot.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

My wife tested positive for COVID today. She started feeling tightness in her chest yesterday, and had had a runny nose for a little over a week. No cough, no fever, no loss of her sense of taste.

She got freaked out by the tightness in her chest and went to an urgent care facility this morning. They gave her one of the rapid tests, so she found out within an hour.

Fortunately she and I can work from home. Her kindergarten class all has to quarantine, so they will be doing virtual school (a live morning lesson and then they will do asynchronous content in the afternoon).

Working from home on such short notice is tricky for me, but it’s manageable and my co-workers are all very flexible and awesome. We’ll get through it.

During this whole pandemic, I have been the only one going pretty much anywhere. Chloe has gone to school, and my wife has gone to work. Otherwise, I have been doing all the out-of-home errands.

Neither of the girls have any symptoms, and I feel fine myself. What a mess.
My Banners:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

G-Man wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:46 pm My wife tested positive for COVID today. She started feeling tightness in her chest yesterday, and had had a runny nose for a little over a week. No cough, no fever, no loss of her sense of taste.

She got freaked out by the tightness in her chest and went to an urgent care facility this morning. They gave her one of the rapid tests, so she found out within an hour.

Fortunately she and I can work from home. Her kindergarten class all has to quarantine, so they will be doing virtual school (a live morning lesson and then they will do asynchronous content in the afternoon).

Working from home on such short notice is tricky for me, but it’s manageable and my co-workers are all very flexible and awesome. We’ll get through it.

During this whole pandemic, I have been the only one going pretty much anywhere. Chloe has gone to school, and my wife has gone to work. Otherwise, I have been doing all the out-of-home errands.

Neither of the girls have any symptoms, and I feel fine myself. What a mess.
We're here for you G, if we can help in any fashion.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Thanks Epi. The doctors gave her an inhaler for her chest. Other than that, she just has a runny nose.

For now, it’s more of an inconvenience than a concern.
My Banners:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

G-Man wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:56 pm For now, it’s more of an inconvenience than a concern.
That's a great relief to my mind.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

i'm having a depressive spell, guys. winter lockdown blues + back issues + heavy work load cos end of the year.
Syn
Hitman

Post by Syn »

dunya wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:54 am i'm having a depressive spell, guys. winter lockdown blues + back issues + heavy work load cos end of the year.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

dunya wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:54 am i'm having a depressive spell, guys. winter lockdown blues + back issues + heavy work load cos end of the year.
I’m the Christmas doctor, watch this
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

October: Spend a fortune installing a brand new top-of-the-line, high efficiency HVAC system.
November: Install new insulation.
December: Odd little increase in the electric bill, but whatever.
January: You would think I got Jay Gatsby's electric bill by mistake. Son of a bitch is twice what it was this time last year. :suspish:
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Epignosis wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:15 pm October: Spend a fortune installing a brand new top-of-the-line, high efficiency HVAC system.
January: You would think I got Jay Gatsby's electric bill by mistake. Son of a bitch is twice what it was this time last year. :suspish:
That doesn’t add up. What did the HVAC seller have to say about that?
My Banners:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

G-Man wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:37 pm
Epignosis wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:15 pm October: Spend a fortune installing a brand new top-of-the-line, high efficiency HVAC system.
They'll be here bright and early tomorrow morning.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Epignosis wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:14 pm

What was the verdict?
My Banners:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

G-Man wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:11 pm
Epignosis wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:14 pm

What was the verdict?
HVAC people installed the system incorrectly, forcing the auxiliary heat to come into play no matter what we set the thermostat to.

We have it in writing and should be able to dispute the charge. We got a new meter installed though, so I'm waiting a few days to confirm that our kwH usage has indeed gone down.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Well hopefully the power company does the right thing. I don’t know how utilities are set up in NC, but here in PA they would probably fight you on it for three months before cutting you a break.
My Banners:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

If this week wasn't shitty enough, I just found out that my favorite cheap bourbon has been discontinued.

RIP Evan Williams Green Label.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

yesterday i went running (sprinting?) and i had to stop and lay down on the grass. honestly felt like i was going to pass out and was disappointed that i didn't.
ola
Posts in topic: 2
Aka: dunya's mom

Post by ola »

dunya wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:35 am yesterday i went running (sprinting?) and i had to stop and lay down on the grass. honestly felt like i was going to pass out and was disappointed that i didn't.
Don't go running when it's so hot and drink more water :fist:
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

ola wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:44 pm
dunya wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:35 am yesterday i went running (sprinting?) and i had to stop and lay down on the grass. honestly felt like i was going to pass out and was disappointed that i didn't.
Don't go running when it's so hot and drink more water :fist:
This is the best post in the entire thread ola, so glad to have you here :lovelove:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “The Speakeasy”