pick a country...

Kick back and relax by discussing anything unrelated to mafia at The Syndicate's Speakeasy.

Moderator: Community Team

dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 10

pick a country...

Post by dunya »

other than your own (or if you want to play it safe, another state in the US?), that you would like to live in.

Which country is it and why do you want to live there?
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 4

Re: pick a country...

Post by speedchuck »

New Zealand.

I haven't done a huge amount of research, but it just seems so chill. They speak English, so I could understand people. I love the accents. I love the scenery. And if I was going to move to another country, I'd probably want to go rural.

Barring that, maybe a tiny place like Malta would be fun. I like the idea of being on a smaller, self-contained island, but one large enough for actual culture and internet use.
SIGNATURE:
Spoiler: show
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

speedchuck wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:40 pm New Zealand.

I haven't done a huge amount of research, but it just seems so chill. They speak English, so I could understand people. I love the accents. I love the scenery. And if I was going to move to another country, I'd probably want to go rural.

Barring that, maybe a tiny place like Malta would be fun. I like the idea of being on a smaller, self-contained island, but one large enough for actual culture and internet use.
Are you sure you can understand me? What in particular would you mean by going rural?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I'd probably hate it if I actually did it, but France. There's something about it.
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

France... specifically, French Polynesia... like, Bora Bora:

Because yeah.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Golden wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:42 pm
speedchuck wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:40 pm New Zealand.

Are you sure you can understand me? What in particular would you mean by going rural?
Haha. I almost forgot you were from there.

I dunno. Grab a sheep farm. Grow some veggies.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

(Apparently my answers were not super thought-out. Malta doesn't have the best political situation right now.)
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

speedchuck wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:44 pm
he's not? Golden is one of the Aussie boys. Quin / MacDougall / Golden.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

I'd pick France too, funnily enough, particularly a rural area in southern France that's not too far from a small city. #dreams.

if not, then Canada. I guess the climate would be closest to Sweden and they speak English and there's barely any...violence or political turmoil there so.

Also I'm thinking where do The National tour. I can't be going to any country they skip. -_-
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Of the countries I have visited, probably Iceland. That place is off in its own little world and it's great. Most people in the cities speak English, and I'd want to learn the language anyway. It's also a great staging point for destinations in both North America and Europe.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:58 pm Of the countries I have visited, probably Iceland. That place is off in its own little world and it's great. Most people in the cities speak English, and I'd want to learn the language anyway. It's also a great staging point for destinations in both North America and Europe.
we're not moving to Iceland, Jay. :disappoint:

somewhere with sun and little snow pls.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

dunya wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:55 pm
Golden is pure Image
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

dunya wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:58 pm
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:58 pm Of the countries I have visited, probably Iceland. That place is off in its own little world and it's great. Most people in the cities speak English, and I'd want to learn the language anyway. It's also a great staging point for destinations in both North America and Europe.
we're not moving to Iceland, Jay. :disappoint:

somewhere with sun and little snow pls.
My second choice is Antarctica. :noble:

Really though, do we have to live somewhere? Let's be car nomads. :p

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 9
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

He's really from New Zealand. Remember when they had the earthquakes there and he was talking about them? Or maybe that was before you got here, can't really remember a time when you weren't here though.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

I totally agree with speed chuck.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

juliets wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:46 pm
He's really from New Zealand. Remember when they had the earthquakes there and he was talking about them? Or maybe that was before you got here, can't really remember a time when you weren't here though.
haha, yea, I know he is. I just like to joke and pretend I think new zealand / australia is one big country and they're all aussies to me :p
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:00 pm My second choice is Antarctica. :noble:
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Yeah Antarctica is no good either. Talk him into New Zealand - then we can all go hiking together.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

How do we feel about Kepler-62e?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

I am not interested in "living" in NZ/AUS because of location mostly. I prefer a country that allows for travelling on a more regular/easier basis.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:01 pm How do we feel about Kepler-62e?
Looks barren. Poor dunya.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

dunya wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:03 pm I am not interested in "living" in NZ/AUS because of location mostly. I prefer a country that allows for travelling on a more regular/easier basis.
Oh ok - I was thinking we were rich since we were moving to another country so I was planning on having a jet at my disposal.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

juliets wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:04 pm
dunya wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:03 pm I am not interested in "living" in NZ/AUS because of location mostly. I prefer a country that allows for travelling on a more regular/easier basis.
Oh ok - I was thinking we were rich since we were moving to another country so I was planning on having a jet at my disposal.
hahahahaha. that's the dream.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

I don't travel much. And when I do, it's to beaches, mountains, camping, hiking...

All of which NZ have.

If I want to experience foreign culture, I'm going to have to fly anyway. 'merica is a big country.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

I think France would be my second choice.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

France or Portland Oregon

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

You're now on my 'kill on day one' list.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

juliets wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:46 pm
Australians would panic in a real earthquake.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Golden wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:00 pm You're now on my 'kill on day one' list.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Italy

Literally the European country I liked visiting the most.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G-Man »

While I want to visit every US state, I would be horribly picky about where to live if I were to change states solely out of choice.

I live in Pennsylvania and I have to stick with my principle of never living north of where I am now, which rules out Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New York, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska.

Being from PA, I couldn’t move to a neighboring state out of pride/bias, so no to Ohio, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, or West Virginia.

The MidWest doesn’t appeal to me, nor do the Plain states, so bye bye Rust Belt, Tornado Alley, and Corn (aka Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska).

Hawaii is too expensive; California is too crazy; Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico are too dry/hot; and Utah and Colorado are too close to my aunt.

Kentucky and Tennessee might be too Appalachian for my wife to agree to, and several of the Gulf States are either too hot or too prone to hurricanes for my liking, say sayonara Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida.

Georgia is a tad to far south along the east cost (read: hot) and South Carolina finishes too low in quality of life metrics for me. I live near the capital of PA, so there’s no way I’m going to move to DC.

So that leaves Texas, Virginia, and North Carolina.

Let me look into the pros and cons of those three and I’ll get back to you.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Georgia can be cooler than North Carolina, depending on where you live because of the Appalachian mountains. We've lived in Northeast Georgia and the weather was just fine- cooler than my hometown here in NC.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Oh, "too Appalachian." :suspish:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Epignosis wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:57 pm Oh, "too Appalachian." :suspish:
Hey, I’m down with the mountains, the music, and the alcoholic beverages of Appalachia. My wife is just too city / beachy to go along with it.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

The two places we go in Alabama are not really hot hot but it is Tornado Alley so I would discount it for that reason.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Norway, my Moms parents are from there, and it's the ancestry I most identify with. I like winter, and my dream home is one where I can see the mountains and the sea at the same time.

If a state, then Washington state. Same deal, mountains meet the Ocean, and I just love the vibe there.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

If money were no object Hawaii would be a top pick for me.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

is Hawaii really expensive? I've always wanted to visit after watching Terrace House in Hawaii :D
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yeah. Everything has to be shipped there from the mainland, it is so remote. So all consumer goods are really pricey. It is more expensive to live than to visit, relatively, since all vacations are expensive.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

Denmark! I'm obsessed with the concept of hygge, Avant-Garde Danish films, and Smørrebrød.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

Canada. There's a novelty about living in a country where it snows I've never experienced. There's also not a lot of cultural differences so it'd be a rather easy transition.

You could probably swap it out with any similar snowy country I suppose. But I've always liked the idea of Canada.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “The Speakeasy”