[WALRUS] Walrus III

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

When can we party reveal?

Mondays at 9 EST
18%
Tuesdays at 9 EST
16%
Thursdays at 9 EST
18%
Fridays at 9 EST
13%
Saturdays at 9 ESTR
16%
Sundays at 9 EST
20%

Total votes: 45
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 16

Re: Walrus III

Post by G-Man »

sprityo wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:07 pm
G-Man wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:02 pm So when do I get to feel shame next? :p
I feel you on every level gman
Get your hands off my butt, you perv.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

G-Man wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:23 pm
sprityo wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:07 pm
G-Man wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:02 pm So when do I get to feel shame next? :p
I feel you on every level gman
Get your hands off my butt, you perv.
We have another 50 floors until we reach the lobby, you’re gonna have to wait
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 43

Post by speedchuck »

Walrus on the discord in 45 minutes
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 18
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Might be just a lil late
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Honey was so underappreciated, perhaps the judge didn't relate to it :ponder: it's coo tho, I'm making a comeback with my cover song in the next category
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Category Three: Can It Be That Simple?

11. The Old Gray Mare - The Crazy Old Man Singers - 3
Submitted by Macdougall

I particularly like the harmony on the third verse, though I do wish this cover had left in the chorus

10. Neutral Milk Hotel - The King Of Carrot Flowers, Pt. 1 - 5
Submitted by nutella

The groove laid down by the acoustic guitar doesn't let up. It carries this song and doesn't outstay its welcome. The second instrument that came in (some kind of garish wind instrument) didn't appeal to me so much.

9. Bon Iver - Beth/Rest - 6
Submitted by birdwithteeth

Very minimalistic. The silent parts made this song stand out from the crowd, as did the sweeping solos and synth influence. Listening felt like a dream, pulling from a lot of different influences and then tossing them into the ether in a way that sort of makes sense. Not what I expected from this category, but an experience worth listening to.

8. Neil Finn - Love Is Emotional - 6
Submitted by JJJ

This song almost hits an emotional spot for me, something nostalgic. It's beautiful in its own right, but a little empty other than those fleeting glimpses of feeling.

7. Iron & Wine - Flightless Bird, American Mouth - 7
Submitted by Turnip Head

Interesting title. I liked all the words not in the title too. The accordion coming in during the chorus really set it off for me, and the song keeps building from there without becoming busy or unpleasant.

6. The Decemberists - Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect - 7
Submitted by Epignosis

It's sometimes hard to describe songs in a way other than 'I like it.' Even if this is slower than a lot of songs I listen to, I like the structure of the 'story' the song tells, the themes, and the flow of the music. The chorus especially works for me.

5. Tegan and Sara - I Bet It Stung - 8
Submitted by iaafr

Simple? Uh... as a drummer, I disagree. This isn't mechanically hard-to-play, but there are some cool flourishes in there where normal time signatures are tweaked or appended. The way the musicians all incorporate that actually makes me really LIKE the song... but for the wrong reasons for this category.
I do see the simplicity for some instruments though, and I really like their sound/tone. I also think the lyrics fit the category in their own way.

4. Kevin Max - When He Returns - 8
Submitted by Elohcin

The singing here is beautiful, full of conviction and poise. As a Christian, I find the lyrics here to be both comforting and sobering. The piano music complements that voice. I don't often listen to piano ballads, but this is one of my favorites I've heard.

3. Blitzkrieg Bop (2016 Remaster) - The Ramones - 8
Submitted by G-man

This song originally came out in the 70s? Wow, that's a lot more timeless than I thought this song was, and that's saying something. Blitzkrieg Bop is one of those songs that I'll usually let play if it comes on (If you know me, that's a high standard). It's short, simple, fun, and one of those few songs I can actually play on bass guitar.

2. Darude - Sandstorm - 9
Submitted by Sprityo

Back when I was a teenager, doing martial arts, we would perform demonstrations synced up to the music in this album. The beat was consistent, and the music was invigorating despite being just a bunch of repeated notes in a row. I think I've seen a recording of this song using those 'Boomwhacker' things, it's that easy to do. Consistently fun, despite its meme status. Good pick for this category.

1. Hotel Yorba - The White Stripes - 10
Submitted by Sloonei

Exactly what I was looking for. Easy to play but fun, with up-tempo lyrics and a raw sound that could be produced by a group of friends as well as anything. Even the music video gives off that kind of vibe, with a couple of young people sitting in a bedroom playing with acoustic instruments. I need to listen to more of The White Stripes.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Category Four: Just Getting Started

11. Sharon Van Etten - A Crime - 6
Submitted by Sloonei

Sharon's voice is unique and I sort of like it. She carries this song. In fact, there isn't much else to it, other than the simple continued guitar riff. That sort of thing is what I asked for, but it could be a little more interesting.

10. The Naked and Famous - Punching in a Dream (Stripped) - 6
Submitted by iaafr

Very minimalistic. Not a capella, but held only to some synth and voice. Very pretty, in a way that befits the lyrics. I took a peek at the non-(stripped) version, and I think I like this better at first glace. It felt like there could be more to this song, but it didn't need more. It also fits the theme very literally, very well.

9. Guided By Voices - I Am a Scientist - 7
Submitted by JJJ

The warbling of the background guitar doesn't mesh with the other guitar that comes in, but it somehow doesn't work against the song too much. I'm not sure how GBV did that. I like the voice too, it holds up well on repeated listens.

8. Torres - Honey - 7
Submitted by Turnip Head

I really dig it when Mackenzie gets into her lyrics and sings with passion, and she does that about half the time here. The background has that edge that appeals to me, but is also muddy and repetitive at times.

7. Wolves in the Throne Room - A Looming Resonance - 7

I feel like I can hear the change in sound this band gets from their vintage equipment, but it might just be confirmation bias. The sound isn't lo-fi, but it has a graininess to it without sounding muddy or indistinct. The ending was really cool, and justified the name of the song. I don't know that this song justified its length to me, I didn't feel like I had a lot of variety throughout, but what I heard was good.

6. The Extra Glenns - Going To Marrakesh - 7
Submitted by nutella

I should have guessed that this band was linked to TMG. I think I like this better than what I've heard, though it took me a moment to acclimate to the vocals. The guitar work that comes in the second half was delicious, and the lyrics were witty.

5. Jon Anderson - Meeting (Garden of Geda) / Sound out the Galleon - 7
Submitted by Epi

'Less members than expected.' This song is missing the rest of Yes! And it is its own thing for it. The fantasy stylings make me feel like this is the beginning of a fantasy concept album or play. Hope, the call of adventure, mysticism... It's a pretty good piece. I don't like the music as much as the feeling of it.

4. Gotye - Hearts a Mess -8
Submitted by Macdougall

That is such a weird beat. I love it. The melodies, when they come in, match it perfectly. Subtle creepiness comes across. I wish it built into anything new after the first chorus, but don't mind just a repeat of what had come before.

3. Epignosis - A Month of Sundays - 9
Submitted by Elohcin

This was (and is) my favorite song off this album, for no other reason than the chorus being an earworm. It may be just because it's not on Youtube, or because of the Lo-Fi music I've been listening to, but this song sounds clean and fresh. I also really appreciate the lyrics, touching on loss and death without being morbid.
Luna: "Is this Kansas? It sounds like Kansas."

2. The Black Keys - I'll Be Your Man - 9
Submitted by G-Man

No bass guitar, no synth or extra guitar, just a talented duo. Like Royal Blood, but with a guitarist rather than a bassist. I can dig that. It really relies on simple, catchy guitar riffs, and pulls it off nicely.

1. Savant - Wildstyle - 10
Submitted by Sprityo

I went down the rabbit trail researching this guy, trying to find out if there was some way he fit the theme other than being just one dude. He had a video game? Actually looks pretty good. From the developers of Owlboy? Nice. The song itself is some of the better video-game style electronic music I've heard, enough to pique my interest in the artist. That one sound byte made me chuckle.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Shall we Sunday?
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:28 am Shall we Sunday?
I mean I'm gonna win the cover category but y'all are welcome to find out why
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

Turnip Head wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:15 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:28 am Shall we Sunday?
I mean I'm gonna win the cover category but y'all are welcome to find out why
If I’m not mistaken it’s cover OR mashup

Which I will handily win
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:29 pm I will not be winning.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

I cannot Sunday. Perhaps Monday or Tuesday?
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Thursdays are my preference, can [mention]Sloonei[/mention] make it that day?
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 17
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

I think i’d be available any evening this week
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Very well. Walrus this Thursday! Usual time of 8:30, unless someone wants it a teensy bit later.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I can't make it unless we start at 8:31.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Turnip Head wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:29 pm Thursdays are my preference, can @Sloonei make it that day?
=.= That feeling when you get stood up on a date by a turnip.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

I forgot...
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Category 5: Homage to the Greats

11. Girl Talk - Oh No - 5

War Pigs is perfect and Girl Talk has changed it for the worse. But it's not all bad. The chorus of 'Move Bitch' fits in well, and some of the additions later on in the song are fun. Altogether, though, the intro hyped me up enough to be disappointed in the hip-hop leanings of the song's latter half. I'm just not into hip hop. As we've already noted, I do like Blitzkrieg Bop though.

10. The National - Morning Dew - 5
Submitted by Sloonei

While technically competent, this song didn't enthrall me. The singer sounds good but doesn't have much energy or life in the performance, at least not in a way that matters to me. The music takes far too long to evolve, and it just doesn't do anything interesting. I'm pretty sure it's blasphemy or something to dislike The National, but I just didn't find much here to love.

9. DJ Poly - Sweet Dreams Are Made Of Seven Nation Army - 6
Submitted by sprityo

A mashup of two songs that I really like! ... but it's not really more than the sum of its parts. This is good, and the songs fit together well musically. But it doesn't have that stark, strong minimalism of SNA, nor the haunting drive of Sweet Dreams. The middle ground isn't as strong, and winds up overcrowded in places.

8. JJJ - Jack of Farts - 6
Submitted by JJJ

I think I ran this game, and I don't remember this response, but it's perfect. It's not only funny and jab-by, it's also competently put together. I enjoyed listening, and I think the voice fits the context.
I know it seems ridiculous to complain about this, but I wish the voice didn't get quieter and louder as the singer moved. I would straight-up throw it in a playlist otherwise. I could grab the original, but it's NOT THE SAME. D:

7. 3rdegree - Going For The One - 7
Submitted by Epignosis

This isn't a Yes song I was familiar with. Listening to both the original and the cover together was worth doing, as these are both really good songs. 3rdegree's version did some things like I liked. The verse and vocals often had a harder rock sound, which I enjoy. When the song wasn't holding that rock down, and tried doing harmonies and softer sounds, I feel like Yes outclassed them a bit.

6. Cheap Trick - Ain't That a Shame - 7
Submitted by G-Man

I'm torn. On the one hand, this song introduced me to the amazing orignal just now. I think I like the original better, just because of the charisma put into it. On the other hand, I really like this too. Best Cheap Trick song I've heard, and it being a live performance makes it better. Sounds like they had fun with it.

5. Interpol - Public Pervert (Carlos D Remix) - 7
Submitted by iaafr

The bass groove, the electronic influences with the guitar-driven pulse, time kept by the constant ticking of a hi-hat... Something about that and the lyrics fitting together felt like this song was laying down a record to be remembered. Like 'let our bodies remain' left this song as the remnant. A little long and repetitive near the end, but pretty darn enjoyable.

4. Fleece - How Alt-J Makes Music (Put It In My Butt) - 8
Submitted by nutella

One of the entries worth watching the video for. Two guys eating rice cakes while noodling with a microphone to poke fun at Alt-J (whatever that is). Without the video, I'd find this catchy and be amused. With the video, I'm even more impressed and amused. The lyrics, where they're intelligible, are hilarious. I'm almost embarrassed to like this, but I've listened to it more than everything else in this category since hearing it.
I listened to an actual Alt-J song and I'm not sure I get that part of the joke, but whatever.

3. In Christ Alone - Christina Grimmie - 8
Submitted by Elohcin

I made the mistake of looking up some background on this cover. It's not a happy one. But this song is about defeating death, and with Christina no longer among the living, it seems more impactful. I've never been a fan of the warbling, wavering thing that skilled singers do, and this song doesn't mark an exception. It doesn't drag the beauty of the song down much though.

2. Paul Dempsey - Wrecking Ball - 8
Submitted by Macdougall

The acoustic guitar here sound like the song was meant to be played this way. And Paul's voice, to me, outshines Miley's. Though I could see some people not liking this voice, it works for me. This version sounds so much more passionate and clean at the same time, I really like it.

1. Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence - 9
Submitted by Turnip Head

One of my least favorite Disturbed songs. This sound just doesn't play to the usual strengths of the band. When I take away that comparison, though, I have an awesome song covered by an awesome band. It's completely different than what I'd expect from Disturbed: a deep and smooth voice, strings, piano, and mournful beauty. Divorced from its origins, this song is a masterpiece, and I have few qualms giving it the top spot.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Category Six: Experimental Period

11. Death Grips - Bass Rattle Stars Out The Sky - 1
Submitted by nutella

These are all very annoying sounds. And I liked Dataplex. :( The end of the song is the best part, partly because of the music change, and partly because it's about to end.

10. Boredomes - Spiral - 4
Submitted by JaggedJimmyJay

I always like some percussion. Here it's muddied by electronic sounds, and isn't doing anything that makes me want to tap my foot, but it's there and that's nice. The effects and voice thrown in there just seem kind of messy. The song evolves a lot as it goes, horrid in some places, just okay in others. Nothing here that drives me to give it another listen.

9. UneXpect - Chromatic Chimera - 5

Sounds almost like an English ALI Project mixed with some metal. I absolutely adore some parts of it, the off-kilter beat and anything the woman sings. The screamy, raspy, or noisy parts I could live without. Ends up as one of my favorite songs this category mixed with one of my least-liked.

8. Tom Waits - Tango Till They're Sore - 6
Submitted by Sloonei

Yeah, I don't listen much to the blues either. Tom Waits has that good soul in his voice, it elicits a particular mood. If I want that mood, that Orleans swing/blues swagger, then this is good to listen to. If I'm not in the mood for that old classic sound, this does nothing for me.

7. Yes - Time And A Word - 6
Submitted by Elohcin

I'm a moderate fan of Yes. They impress me, but I can see where someone who doesn't listen to appreciate the artists wouldn't care for them much. Case in point, I listened to this song several times and nothing in there stuck with me. Sure, I like complexity/artistry, but I need something to stick.

6. Rainbow - Stargazer - 7
Submitted by iaafr

This is 70s music. I could tell as soon as I heard it, though I'd never heard or heard of this band/song before. It has enough of an operatic metal tinge to it to mimic 90s Ayreon. It's decent. Some of the instrumental work is really amazing. Goes on a while too long.

5. Archie Roach - Took The Children Away - 7
Submitted by Macdougall

Divorced from context, this song is alright. It's clearly got a lot of feeling in it, but I wasn't that interested the first time I heard it. After looking into who Archie Roach was, it's a little different. I appreciate this song, and while it's not something I'd put in a playlist, I enjoyed it.

4. Maudlin Of The Well - Another Excerpt: Keep Light Near You, Even When Dying - 7
Submitted by Epignosis

This song evolves from one masterful, beautiful style to another. One moment it sounds almost classical, the next it's a rock solo or a prog break with some eclectic influences. Each piece is good but some lack the characteristic hooks that would cause me to remember the song. Varied enough to hold up on repeated listens.

3. Outkast - Ghetto Musick - 8
Submitted by G-Man

I don't know what kind of hip-hop this is, but I'm having fun with it, weird as it is. These guys did Hey Ya, which is also delightfully weird and has similar vibes. I think I like this one better.

2. Gorillaz - Let Me Out - 8
Submitted by Sprityo

The Gorillaz are consistently good. I like the fusion of rap and rock that they manage, making it catchy and ear-worm-y. The chorus of this one pushed it high in the list.

1. Sherine - Baya'en El Sabr - 9
Submitted by Turnip Head

I love listening to music from other cultures. It's something different, not more of the same. We don't hear guitar work like this often in our music, but it fits well in Spanish and... is this Arabic? The peppy beat, beautiful vocals, etc. Something I don't usually get, but I really like it.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I am seven points behind with little to no chance of winning. I want to move on with my life start searching for new song submissions. When is the next reveal night?
My Banners:
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

I haven't finished rating cat 8. :( Life is stupid busy right now. I'll work at it.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

Jays video link is messed up in cat 6, and you spelled OutKast wrong for cat 6 no. 3 [mention]speedchuck[/mention] :beer:
Banners:
ImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 9
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

I think that's the second time you double-copied a link and posted the wrong video for one of the entries, cat 4 also has one
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

I could do this Saturday night or maybe this coming Monday night.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Epignosis »

Saturday night I'm out playing the gee-tar and celebrating my old man's birthday but Monday would do fine.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I’ll try to hop in whichever night you choose.
My Banners:
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I don’t think I could make it monday, but I expect to be free any other day.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

:|

Tuesday?
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

k

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Tuesday is fine.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

I can actually make it on Tuesday this week, assuming I don't forget
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Tonight
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Might be late but I'll try to be there
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Huh. I thought it was going to be Thursday. I’ll pop in after the kids are in bed.
My Banners:
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Live performances and filler tracks tonight, Ought to be super.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Me and epi sharing first place according to g-man, setting up a big finale
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Category Seven: Playing the Crowd

Strong category, numbers would all be 7 or 8 and up but that's boring.

11. Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets - 6
Submitted by Sloonei

I've probably not gone as deep into Pink Floyd as I need to. This song, and song's like it, are part of the reason. The ambient psychadelia (or whatever it is, I'm bad at genre) doesn't do great for me. I'd much rather hear something with more structure. Once the song pulls itself together, it's beautiful, and the whole thing is an exercise in musicianship and art, but I just don't jive wit it.

10. Daft Punk - Harder Better Faster Stronger - 6
Submitted by Sprityo

I've listened to so many remixes that include this song, I'm not sure what the original sounds like. This was pretty good. I could give or take some of the more repetitive parts (Around the wo-rld) but hey, it's Daft Punk. They good.

Paul Simon - The Cool, Cool River - 7
Submitted by nutella

The song chugs along in a pleasing way. It's almost hard to believe it's live, though. Everything sounds so clean and clear, beautiful.

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb - 7
This is a little more my speed, and the guitar work just captivates in the solos. There's a reason Pink Floyd is known for this song, and in concert they really give it time to shine.

Devin Townsend Project - Deadhead - 7
submitted by birdwithteeth

I like DT a lot, but this particular song has a lot of that drone-y metal sound to it. You know, the sound where things slow down and the guitars ring out and drone on? Where it just sounds loud and not much else? That said, Devin's vocals over the top are incredibly powerful, and I can't help but love that part. The sound also kicks in a few times, like at 6 minutes in, and I enjoy that.

Norah Jones + Dolly Parton - Creep On - 8
Submitted by Elohcin

I've never been one of those who just 'loves' Dolly Parton. I appreciate her, and what she's done for her hometown and for others. But I never got into her music. With this being a live performance, her personality shines through, which is incredibly charming and... a little weird. The way she talks almost doesn't seem to match someone of her age, and sounds innocent and cutesy, which is both charming because of the genuine kindness and joy there and a little odd to me because of the mismatch. That said, I think it strengthens this song in both ways.

5. Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know - 8
Submitted by Turnip Head

I love the passionate performance. Alanis has a voice I could listen to for a while. Very raw sound, works well live and I like it.

4. Reel Big Fish - S.R. - 9
Submitted by iaafr

Fun. This got stuck in my head for hours the first time I heard it. The main gag really didn't get old, and RBF pulled it off while sounding good. Long song, but I was still disappointed when it ended. A good fit for the category, as this is not something that would work on a studio album. The country bit alone is better than most of what I heard in the country category last Walrus. *drops mic*

3. Midnight Oil - Beds are Burning - 9
Submitted by MacDougall

I don't even know the original version of this song, but this is great.

2. Rush - Tom Sawyer - 9
Submitted by Epignosis

Ugh, that bass guitar sounds so good live. In the album version, which was my introduction to rock music, you can hear the bass, but it's nothing like this. It has also always amazed me to see three people make a sound as complete as this. The vocals were a little better when Geddy was younger, in my opinion, but the energy is here, and the crowd is happy to enhance it a little.

1. Queen - Somebody To Love - 10
Submitted by G-Man
Freddy Mercury is such a good frontman. His charisma and voice almost overshadow the fact that the rest of Queen is absolutely amazing. The energy Freddy brings is fantastic on the album, and especially so live.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Category Eight: Filler Track

Neil Young - I Believe In You - 7

I'm not well-versed in Neil Young. This song in particular was alright. Nothing bad about it, nothing particularly standout.

Twenty One Pilots - Glowing Eyes - 7
Submitted by Sprityo

I've never been a huge fan of 21 Pilots. This song was better than some of the hits I've heard, but still remarkably average to me.

Inxs - Meditate - 7
Submitted by MacDougall

Really cool. Goes nowhere. The rhymes actually get a little ridiculous and annoying on relistens.

Hozier - In The Woods Somewhere - 8
Submitted by Sloonei

Moody, atmospheric. I like the guitar tone. Wayyyy better than 'Take me to Church'.

DC Talk - What If I Stumble - 8
Submitted by Elohcin

Another religious song. It is both encouraging and sobering in places. The music itself was good. Decent.

Steely Dan - The Royal Scam - 8

Has me a'tappin my foot under my desk. Reminds me Alan Parson's project, with the organs and guitars molding the music together. Enjoyable.

Jethro Tull - Wondering Aloud - 8
Submitted by Epignosis

Short and sweet. Not what I expected from Jethro Tull, just based on what I know (and even on the album title). This is the definition of a filler track, but I really liked it.

Gotye - Smoke and Mirrors - 9
Submitted by nutella

It takes a while for each Gotye song to warm up for me, but once they do, it's so catchy. Not quite Hearts a Mess, but it's pretty up there!

Taylor Swift - All Too Well - 9
Submitted by Turnip Head

This is, quite frankly, one of the best Tswizzle songs I've ever heard. The lyrics really touch me, and the music perfectly suits her strengths.

Broken Social Scene - Pacific Theme - 10
Submitted by iaafr

This music perfectly relaxed me. I felt nostalgia, like I was playing flash games on an old boxy monitor, even though I'm not sure I've ever heard this before.

Van Halen - I'm The One - 10
Submitted by G-Man

This is some high quality Van Halen, with that rock 'n roll vibe mixed with solid harmony and powerful guitarwork. I've heard some VH filler tracks before, and this is above and beyond most of those. Super fun.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Really cool. Goes nowhere

I love that TH has already made this the next hot new syndicate meme XD
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

nutella wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:51 pm Really cool. Goes nowhere

I love that TH has already made this the next hot new syndicate meme XD
It does sum up a lot of mafia posts, for sure.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

any idea when we'll get to bask in the power metal submissions?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Sloonei wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:09 pm any idea when we'll get to bask in the power metal submissions?
I've listened once, and have base ratings. I can probably be ready pretty soon. It's more an issue of time, thanks to the audio editing gig. Maybe Saturday?
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Saturday works for me
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Nothing else to do. :suspish:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Saturday should be fine I think depending upon thesis progress

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

8 PM EST
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I’ll check in if I can. Got a sick four-year-old on my hands. Looks like a cold, not Corona. But still, that cough... :sigh:
My Banners:
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

Don’t forget to update with results speed! :D
Banners:
ImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

here's an extra post so speed can post the stuff on a new page :p
Image Image Image Image
Image Image

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”